MRCA Discussion - October 2, 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: MRCA Discussion - October 2, 2010

Post by Indranil »

^^^ That article has been posted before. It adds nothing new to the discussion. Here's a case which I have already discussed where you tap in the data before the encryption or decryption. This can be done. But how do you do it selectively without a communication method.

The question is not on the backdoor/kill switch. The question is how to activate it no visible (atleast) change in hardware.

I think I will stop posting till somebody gives me a valid answer on that. It seems to be revolving around kill switches/backdoors exist. And I ask how will you use it without the user detecting it. And I get embedded antennas and AESA modules as answers. So I will wait :)
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Post by GeorgeWelch »

Philip wrote:Therefore,the risk of acquiring and operating key weapon systems of US origin,remains very high,particularly when the US will enforce its right of "inspection",after-sales servicing,et al.When it is the chief provider of high-tech arms to our mortal enemy Pak,the danger is obvious even to the three proverbial monkeys.
So you think buying Russian will protect you from US hacks? Think again:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/04 ... hack_raid/

Guess that means MiG is out.

Iran's centrifuge controllers were from Siemens (Germany) and they got hacked. Guess Eurofighter is out too :lol:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

^^ The Syria certainly never had Tor-M1 when these raid happened not certain even if they have it now.

All this hack thing could be mere PR stuff , it could be smart mission planning and jamming , much like Israel attacked the Iraqi Osirak reactor deep within iraq without having any smart hack at its disposal.
ashokpachori
BRFite

Post by ashokpachori »

indranilroy wrote:^^^ That article has been posted before. It adds nothing new to the discussion. Here's a case which I have already discussed where you tap in the data before the encryption or decryption. This can be done. But how do you do it selectively without a communication method.

The question is not on the backdoor/kill switch. The question is how to activate it no visible (atleast) change in hardware.

I think I will stop posting till somebody gives me a valid answer on that. It seems to be revolving around kill switches/backdoors exist. And I ask how will you use it without the user detecting it. And I get embedded antennas and AESA modules as answers. So I will wait :)

They (Americans) use tiny winy ultra modern bugs operated by satellites. Something they did to China several years ago.
Sandeep_ghosh
BRFite

Post by Sandeep_ghosh »

Dear Friends ,

F/A 18 SH is a YF 17 LWF on Steroids to start with. With a design load of 7.8G and 1.8 Mach speed I am not really sure if it can keep up with EF rafale or even the "super duper fulcrum" (Which apparently has been discredited for every other non-combat issues ),
anyways if IAF doesn't choose F/A 18SH, i am pretty sure it wont be because of its "kill switch", it will be on its merit.
I feel if we had straight away done a MIG35ovt MKI style deal in 2006 we would have raised 3 squadrons by now.
ashokpachori
BRFite

Post by ashokpachori »

Sandeep_ghosh wrote:Dear Friends ,

F/A 18 SH is a YF 17 LWF on Steroids to start with. With a design load of 7.8G and 1.8 Mach speed I am not really sure if it can keep up with EF rafale or even the "super duper fulcrum" (Which apparently has been discredited for every other non-combat issues ),
anyways if IAF doesn't choose F/A 18SH, i am pretty sure it wont be because of its "kill switch", it will be on its merit.
I feel if we had straight away done a MIG35ovt MKI style deal in 2006 we would have raised 3 squadrons by now.

Why people are talking about kill switch is beyond me. By kill switch what do they mean?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

ashokpachori wrote: They (Americans) use tiny winy ultra modern bugs operated by satellites. Something they did to China several years ago.
Ashok sir I am making an example of your post here. Please don't mind. This is not a personal attack. I just want to make a point about such posts.

What exactly did you add by this post?. Generic thoughts, perceptions, speculations which are not supported!

Give me a good reason why I shouldn't blast this post?! I implore to the posters to post substantiated thoughts which have some data points or can counter a data point based on facts.

To answer just your post. Sadly Americans can't beat physics. They tried to rig the Chinese plane. Alas there tiny winy ultra modern bugs, operated by software were discovered quite easily.
ashokpachori
BRFite

Post by ashokpachori »

indranilroy wrote:
ashokpachori wrote: They (Americans) use tiny winy ultra modern bugs operated by satellites. Something they did to China several years ago.
Ashok sir I am making an example of your post here. Please don't mind. This is not a personal attack. I just want to make a point about such posts.

What exactly did you add by this post?. Generic thoughts, perceptions, speculations which are not supported!

Give me a good reason why I shouldn't blast this post?! I implore to the posters to post substantiated thoughts which have some data points or can counter a data point based on facts.
Hmmm...

This is something that actually happened and is a world renowned incident. But it seems that it was away from your radar antenna!

Anyway.
More than 20 bugging devices have been discovered by Chinese intelligence officers in a Boeing 767 delivered from the US and due to serve as the official aircraft of Jiang Zemin, China's president, according to Chinese officials.
The bugs, hidden in upholstery, were detected after the aircraft emitted a strange static whine during test flights in China in September, shortly after it was delivered. They were said to be tiny and operated by satellite. Military experts in Beijing said the devices were far more sophisticated than those available in retail outlets.
http://lkcn.net/bbs/lofiversion/index.php/t5393.html

And those were listening devices!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ I have mentioned about this many times in my last few posts. In fact there is mention of it just above your post.

It only proves my point that you can't hide something so easily to a trained eye. The plane had an established satellite communication links. All that was needed were really miniature microphones. But again they are special devices.

Kudos to the Chinese to inspect the plane thoroughly. If we inspect ours as well, we should be able to find any specialized hardware!
ashokpachori
BRFite

Post by ashokpachori »

indranilroy wrote:^^^ I have mentioned about this many times in my last few posts. In fact there is mention of it just above your post.

It only proves my point that you can't hide something so easily to a trained eye. The plane had an established satellite communication links. All that was needed were really miniature microphones. But again they are special devices.

Kudos to the Chinese to inspect the plane thoroughly. If we inspect ours as well, we should be able to find any specialized hardware!

So in other words, the Yankees did beat the physics in your own words:

Sadly Americans can't beat physics
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Are you even reading what I wrote!
ashokpachori
BRFite

Post by ashokpachori »

indranilroy wrote:Are you even reading what I wrote!

I read the following in your post:

And this:

Give me a good reason why I shouldn't blast this post?!
Last edited by ashokpachori on 16 Dec 2010 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

ashokpachori wrote: They (Americans) use tiny winy ultra modern bugs operated by satellites. Something they did to China several years ago

Hmmm...

This is something that actually happened and is a world renowned incident. But it seems that it was away from your radar antenna!

Anyway.

More than 20 bugging devices have been discovered by Chinese intelligence officers in a Boeing 767 delivered from the US and due to serve as the official aircraft of Jiang Zemin, China's president, according to Chinese officials.
The bugs, hidden in upholstery, were detected after the aircraft emitted a strange static whine during test flights in China in September, shortly after it was delivered. They were said to be tiny and operated by satellite. Military experts in Beijing said the devices were far more sophisticated than those available in retail outlets.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... in/888374/

Yes, the American planes are going to be incapable of doing anything other than simple flying, any turns in excess of 2g's will set off a tiny sat reciever within making the plan dance per the commands of someone sitting in Area 51 moreover American plane designs are of an ancient vintage and extremely inefficient dogs...moreover America loves Pakistan therefore must hate us, they are trying to trick us...there...I have summarized everthing said about the F series planes here...everyone on this thread should be happy now *faceplam*
Last edited by Raveen on 16 Dec 2010 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

We must be really dumb to accept khan planes without any controls at all. BTW if that is the thought with our BRight minded people, then we are expecting this from any contract with total ba-booze value onlee. Question is not that is allowed (well it is babu freedom), but are we willing to allow such whimsical aspects in our security domain?
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

SaiK wrote:We must be really dumb to accept khan planes without any controls at all. BTW if that is the thought with our BRight minded people, then we are expecting this from any contract with total ba-booze value onlee. Question is not that is allowed (well it is babu freedom), but are we willing to allow such whimsical aspects in our security domain?
Saik, controls are required irrespective of the country of origin; controls are something we need to have in place...paranoia and cold war mindset are a few things we need to get rid of!
While there are mature members in this forum who recognize this (you sir are a part of those rational group), there are plenty who post opinions with nothin qualifying them as experts. What we end up with is noise and circular discussions.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Will the GoI sign the CISMOA with the US to get all the required communications equipment for the MRCA? In fact, the C130j negotitations for installing user supplied equipments would start soon, and that would decide how the equipment for MRCA would be decided.

The other issue is that of offsets. The Eurofighter consortium has said that they will take India on board as a partner. However, the way Lockheed martin is going ahead with its offset obligations for C-130J shows that the MoD has to be quite strict with the Americans. Fudging numbers is nothing new for American companies, and there is nothing to suggest Boeing won't do likewise. The EF consortium and Saab have shown willingness to share technology with India, something that the US companies haven't done, and have only said it will "be oblige be all contractual terms". And LM's recent fudging is a precursor to the US intentions.

Anyway, MRCA is a political decision, and it would most probably go to the US irrespective of the suitability of the aircraft to IAF's requirements. The only question is for what will that be quid pro quo. Is it for the earlier nuclear agreement or something different.

There are some who genuinely want the best for India, irrespective of origin. Some want to avoid US companies, given the US attitude post cold-war too. And then there are some for whom US interests are supreme(nothing wrong if they are US citizens) and want to India to accomodate US to the full extent possible even if it hurts Indian interests in the long term, for they have some soft corner for India, but not at the expense of US. They want India and US to be close just for their own comfort, and it won't matter if India's interest is hurt in long term( not the US, mind you). It is the last group we need to be wary of!
Last edited by putnanja on 16 Dec 2010 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Raveen wrote:What we end up with is noise and circular discussions.
Raveen, you are absolutely right here. This seems discussion seems to be going round in circles.

Very early in my posting days an oldie had advised me. Almost literally "Just say what you want to, don't try to change anybody's opinion. It doesn't happen even when faced with facts". I had respected his opinion so much then. Somehow, I had forgotten its value in the last few months.

If somebody says,
1. We shouldn't take the hassle of checking the planes we get. Just don't trust US. the EF/Rafale/Mig-35/Gripen are not made is US, hence we can trust that no regulatory software/hardware can't be planted - I will say, yes sir.
2. One can communicate from the satellite through the AESA - I will say, yes sir.
3. You say the antenna can be so miniaturized that the Indian Mil-Ind can't make it out on the PCB - I will say, yes sir.
4. And this miniaturized antenna (used generally in LOS/RFID kind of applications) can listen to satellite communication - I will say, yes sir.

I rest my case.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

putnanja wrote:... MoD has to be quite strict with the Americans. Fudging numbers is nothing new for American companies, and there is nothing to suggest Boeing won't do likewise.
*facepalm*
indranilroy wrote:
Raveen wrote:What we end up with is noise and circular discussions.
Raveen, you are absolutely right here. This seems discussion seems to be going round in circles.

Very early in my posting days an oldie had advised me. Almost literally "Just say what you want to, don't try to change anybody's opinion. It doesn't happen even when faced with facts". I had respected his opinion so much then. Somehow, I had forgotten its value in the last few months.

If somebody says,
1. We shouldn't take the hassle of checking the planes we get. Just don't trust US. the EF/Rafale/Mig-35/Gripen are not made is US, hence we can trust that no regulatory software/hardware can't be planted - I will say, yes sir.
2. One can communicate from the satellite through the AESA - I will say, yes sir.
3. You say the antenna can be so miniaturized that the Indian Mil-Ind can't make it out on the PCB - I will say, yes sir.
4. And this miniaturized antenna (used generally in LOS/RFID kind of applications) can listen to satellite communication - I will say, yes sir.

I rest my case.
I join you indranilroy...this is futile indeed!
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

This is the offset policy for LM .

Lockheed offsets mock MoD norms
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

putnanja wrote:Will the GoI sign the CISMOA with the US to get all the required communications equipment for the MRCA? In fact, the C130j negotitations for installing user supplied equipments would start soon, and that would decide how the equipment for MRCA would be decided.

The other issue is that of offsets. The Eurofighter consortium has said that they will take India on board as a partner. However, the way Lockheed martin is going ahead with its offset obligations for C-130J shows that the MoD has to be quite strict with the Americans. Fudging numbers is nothing new for American companies, and there is nothing to suggest Boeing won't do likewise. The EF consortium and Saab have shown willingness to share technology with India, something that the US companies haven't done, and have only said it will "be oblige be all contractual terms". And LM's recent fudging is a precursor to the US intentions.

Anyway, MRCA is a political decision, and it would most probably go to the US irrespective of the suitability of the aircraft to IAF's requirements. The only question is for what will that be quid pro quo. Is it for the earlier nuclear agreement or something different.

There are some who genuinely want the best for India, irrespective of origin. Some want to avoid US companies, given the US attitude post cold-war too. And then there are some for whom US interests are supreme(nothing wrong if they are US citizens) and want to India to accomodate US to the full extent possible even if it hurts Indian interests in the long term, for they have some soft corner for India, but not at the expense of US.
Putnanja ji, without dwelling into the personal motivations, I have one simple ask.

What do you think the ToT for the EF/Rafale/Gripen/Mig-35 will be? Will they give us their engine tech? What about radars? What about avionics? Weapons? Any stealth design tech?

Albeit they will give us the production tech. What are we planning to do with that beyond the 126 (may be 200) planes that we build?

I expect all the companies to try to milk us. I don't see anyway in which Boeing/EF GMBH/SAAB/Migs will try anything different from the LM. They are all there to make money. That's a simple fact. It is just like mother with the veg. vendor. The vendor wants to get as much as possible and mother tries to get it as low as possible. She doesn't budge without the complimentary sprig of Coriander leaves and 5-10 chillies. India like my mother (and many of yours) has to get as much as it can. The babus don't care about India as much as my mother cares about our family. Hence LM comes along and makes milk shake of the offset policy. Every company will try to do it. I don't blame them. I blame us.
Last edited by Indranil on 16 Dec 2010 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

indranilroy wrote:Putnanja ji, without dwelling into the personal motivations, I have one simple ask.

What do you think the ToT for the EF/Rafale/Gripen/Mig-35 will be? Will they give us their engine tech? What about radars? What about avionics? Weapons? Any stealth design tech?

Albeit they will give us the production tech. What are we planning to do with that beyond the 126 (may be 200) planes that we build?
The Rafale/Mig-35/Gripen haven't had much success in their sales. It is easier to wrest more concessions from them as they are desperate for sales. EF too is ending up in the same boat with many countries reducing their orders. These companies are struggling to break even given the huge development costs.

For the Americans, most of their investments have already been recouped by the US orders itself. It will be much difficult to get major concessions out of them. Plus for major technologies, they still have to get go ahead from the DoS. The US doesn't share much of its advanced tech with allies like Japan, UK and Israel. Why will they offer it to India? Did you forget that US DoS refused permission to Boeing to help out with LCA testing less than a year back? That contract later went to the Europeans.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

putnanja wrote:
indranilroy wrote:Putnanja ji, without dwelling into the personal motivations, I have one simple ask.

The Rafale/Mig-35/Gripen haven't had much success in their sales. It is easier to wrest more concessions from them as they are desperate for sales. EF too is ending up in the same boat with many countries reducing their orders. These companies are struggling to break even given the huge development costs.

For the Americans, most of their investments have already been recouped by the US orders itself. It will be much difficult to get major concessions out of them. Plus for major technologies, they still have to get go ahead from the DoS. The US doesn't share much of its advanced tech with allies like Japan, UK and Israel. Why will they offer it to India? Did you forget that US DoS refused permission to Boeing to help out with LCA testing less than a year back? That contract later went to the Europeans.
That is a very valid point. There is no denying that the US is more restrictive. but then what have we gained through these decades of license manufacturing? What have our allies given to us? So why would the MMRCA ToT be any different? Also What did France do to Argentina? What is it doing with us (with Scorpene/Safran)? What is Britain doing with the Hawks?

Also pricewise, there is a counter point.The Americans have recovered there development costs. With the Europeans we have to pay for it.(part of the reason why the EF/Rafale are so expensive).

but it is a very valid point that the desperations might be higher amongst the Europeans.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

indranilroy wrote:That is a very valid point. There is no denying that the US is more restrictive. but then what have we gained through these decades of license manufacturing? What have our allies given to us? So why would the MMRCA ToT be any different? Also What did France do to Argentina? What is it doing with us (with Scorpene/Safran)? What is Britain doing with the Hawks?

Also pricewise, there is a counter point.The Americans have recovered there development costs. With the Europeans we have to pay for it.(part of the reason why the EF/Rafale are so expensive).

but it is a very valid point that the desperations might be higher amongst the Europeans.
India hasn't aligned itself to anyone to call anyone its allies :D Anyway, the MoD has realized that the license manufacturing route hasn't got us anywhere, and hence the offsets policy. While giving a much bigger role to the private sector, if the offset policy is implemented properly, it will also allow these companies to improvise and help in our indigenization policy going forward. The Hawk issue has now been resolved, and the scorpene issue was a blunder by MoD to show upfront costs as less and negotiate other items separately. Regarding what France did to Argentina, I doubt Pakistan or China have similar clout with France/UK/Russia etc.

I agree that we may have to pay a higher price for EF/Rafale. But they also have much more growth potential compared to F-16s. SH may have a bit more potential than F-16. India typically operates aircraft for 30 years or more, and integrates weapons and communications from multiple vendors on its platforms, again which the US is loathe to do compared to Europeans. And given how long we utilize it, it would be preferable to have aircraft with much more growth potential going forward
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Same Old Same Old :evil: Same Old Same Old
The Never Ending Delays

Tech Transfer Issues Could Hold Up Indian Fighter Buy
Dec 16, 2010

By Neelam Mathews
NEW DELHI

Evidence is Growing that the Downselect Decision for India’s Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) May not be Announced Until the Fourth Quarter of 2011, with the HoldUp Centered on Terms for Technology Transfer.

India requires that any aircraft or weapons system introduced into service successfully clear all tests, trials and evaluations. All the MMRCA candidates have completed user trials, including weapons validations, technical and maintenance evaluations. They are currently being evaluated on their proposals for industrial offsets, with technology transfer next up. Only when this process produces a short list will their commercial offers be evaluated.

Technology transfer terms must be completed with the main contract, a defense official explained. India requires that licensed production of the aircraft, including engines, accessories, radars, systems and tooling, be covered by the tech transfer proposal. The ministry holds refusal rights on any specific item and suppliers must provide full life-cycle product support.

The MMRCA contract will provide for 126 aircraft and is the largest military procurement pending in India. It has drawn bids based on the MiG-35, Dassault’s Rafale, Eurofighter, the Saab Gripen, Boeing’s F/A-18E/F and Lockheed Martin’s F-16.

Vendors, who were supposed to have their evaluations completed last April, have already been required to extend or revise their bids through next April because the selection process became bogged down. If the defense ministry is not able to complete its downselect process by then, vendors will have to resubmit their bids and another year’s delay will ensue.

That raises the prospect that swings in currency rates could significantly change the value of the bids, given that rates are determined not when bids are received but when the commercial evaluation begins.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

err.. on the cost based on numbers, Eurofighter I think has beaten or will beat the number of hornets built? so ef2k must be cheaper on the cost:feature basis and must have surpassed the RoI point.

We have no idea how can anyone input the R&D cost into fighter jets. If they do so, then they can't export it cheap.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Juggi G wrote:Same Old Same Old :evil: Same Old Same Old
The Never Ending Delays

Dec 16, 2010

By Neelam Mathews
NEW DELHI

Evidence is Growing that the Downselect Decision for India’s Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) May not be Announced Until the Fourth Quarter of 2011, with the HoldUp Centered on Terms for Technology Transfer.

India requires that any aircraft or weapons system introduced into service successfully clear all tests, trials and evaluations. All the MMRCA candidates have completed user trials, including weapons validations, technical and maintenance evaluations. They are currently being evaluated on their proposals for industrial offsets, with technology transfer next up. Only when this process produces a short list will their commercial offers be evaluated.

Technology transfer terms must be completed with the main contract, a defense official explained. India requires that licensed production of the aircraft, including engines, accessories, radars, systems and tooling, be covered by the tech transfer proposal. The ministry holds refusal rights on any specific item and suppliers must provide full life-cycle product support.

The MMRCA contract will provide for 126 aircraft and is the largest military procurement pending in India. It has drawn bids based on the MiG-35, Dassault’s Rafale, Eurofighter, the Saab Gripen, Boeing’s F/A-18E/F and Lockheed Martin’s F-16.

Vendors, who were supposed to have their evaluations completed last April, have already been required to extend or revise their bids through next April because the selection process became bogged down. If the defense ministry is not able to complete its downselect process by then, vendors will have to resubmit their bids and another year’s delay will ensue.

That raises the prospect that swings in currency rates could significantly change the value of the bids, given that rates are determined not when bids are received but when the commercial evaluation begins.

The simple question is- where did Neelam Matthews explain WHAT technology transfer issues could delay the down-select? She wrote the headline as if there was some issue that had cropped up, whereas all one can infer from the article is that the technology transfer proposals were going to be evaluated before a down-select was carried out. The only new thing that comes out of this article is that they will also take into account technology transfer before going in for a down-select. Really, it seems like some of these news articles are being created just because they have news to fill in.
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

is it that hard to find a bug transmitting signal to satellites ???

i mean we do have detection equipments don't we
Sancho
BRFite

Post by Sancho »

Sorry for the late reply, simply had not enough time.
Viv S wrote:
Now three questions here - you've claimed that since the Storm Shadow has not been integrated the EF is NOT truly multi-role and can only perform CAS. AFAIK no aircraft in the IAF inventory is equipped with a cruise missile for ground strike (Jags have the Harpoon though).
No, I said that the EF has no other A2G weapon except of LGB (which is a fact, not a claim!) and that restricts it from beeing a real multi role aircraft.
Jags are ground attack fighters and no multi role aircrafts, because they have more than limited A2A capabilities but compare the EF with MKI for example. It can use Kh 29 and 59 air to surface missiles, Kh 31 and 35 in anti ship and anti radiation roles and soon Brahmos, not to mention the KAB PGMs.
Mig 29 SMT multi role, because the uprades adds the A2G capabilties and it will be able to use most of the MKI weaponary too.
Mirage 2000-5, as I meantioned before can use the same weapon package that the Rafale uses.

As you can see, even our present fighters are more multi role capable then the present EF and as long the partners did not decide what new weapons and moreover when they will be added, the EF for IAF will not really be useful for IAF and once again a reminder, the EF has only 3 heavy weapon stations for fuel tanks, or heavy weapons, which is another limitation of it in the strike role.

Latest report (from RAF officials) hints that the partners will talk about the T3 somewhere next year, which obviously hints that they want to see how their chances in MMRCA will be. Brimstone and Storm Shadow is on the list, but possibly only from 2014/15 onwards, which again confirms what the Aviationweek article said, that the AESA get A2G modes added later.
Briten cuts their squadron numbers in half and is trying to sell EFs from their initial order to Oman and they most likely won't replace them with ne EFs. The chances for more F35 are higher (btw, UK is the biggest F35 partner)!

Viv S wrote:That's the point isn't it. Have you read that the Luftwaffe is looking to shift integration of the Storm Shadow and Brimstone to the Tranche 3B or are you assuming it?
The German Luftwaffe is not integrating Storm Shadow, because they don't use it, they have Taurus and that's why I said that they will have to integrate it on their own and that's why they can delay the integration till Tornados are going to be phased out.

Viv S wrote:You do realise that France hasn't weathered the economic crisis much better than the UK, and its economic revival is no where as robust as Germany's (who's posted the best growth rates among the major developed economies). While while they aren't very eager to purchase new aircraft, the RAF and Luftwaffe are both committed to upgrade plans.
Strange, then why didn't the French reduced Rafale orders, or A400 like Britan and Germany did? Why did they agreed to buy 12 KC390 in the Brazilian competition?
They have been hit like most of the contries in the EU too, but they are doing way better than UK and the only country that is on a good way is Germany, but even they are reducing the defense budget.

I guess I can skip the part of Mirage 2000 upgrade, because Sarkozys visit already proved you wrong about it.

Viv S wrote:You're right about the Rafale being delivered in 2012 (interestingly with another 54 aircraft unordered, it puts the delivery schedule at par with the EF). The Tranche 3 order will include all the R&D costs for all upgrades including the AESA.
Again think logically please! The order T3 EFs was done in 2009, but the commitment to AESA was cleared (from the EF consortium companies) only this year during the Farnborough airshow and is only pre-funded, so how can the order cost a year ago include R&D costs that are not even cleared now?
They ordered just the basic EF T3 fighter and the engines, which means in fly away condition and that for around $100 million euros each and India will be a partner nation, that is the fly away cost we have to pay too!

Btw, because one of you arguments against the Rafale is always the possibly high upgrade costs in future.

1. It is offered with a higher upgrade level than EF as I showed you before.
2. The fact that France upgrades all older Rafale F1 to the latest F3 standard, but that the EF partners wants to phase the older T1 out and sell them second hand to smaller countries, because it would be too costly to upgrade them to T2/T3 standard should tell you something about the possible upgrade costs of EF right?

It stands as I said it before, Rafale is:

- more capable
- cheaper per unit
- more cost-effective to operate, because of more commonality and customisation options
- more mature
- more useful for our forces
- offers more future potential and less risk, because it has less funding problems than the EF partners and France will replace all older fighters with Rafale, while only Germany plans to do it with EF

Where the EF has the advantage is the partnership and offsets, but again the more the EF partners gets into trouble, the higher the risks for us.

Imo only the competition is only about Rafale, or F18SH for political reasons!
Sancho
BRFite

Post by Sancho »

Kartik wrote:[
The simple question is- where did Neelam Matthews explain WHAT technology transfer issues could delay the down-select? She wrote the headline as if there was some issue that had cropped up, whereas all one can infer from the article is that the technology transfer proposals were going to be evaluated before a down-select was carried out. The only new thing that comes out of this article is that they will also take into account technology transfer before going in for a down-select. Really, it seems like some of these news articles are being created just because they have news to fill in.
The important part should be this:
Technology transfer terms must be completed with the main contract, a defense official explained. India requires that licensed production of the aircraft, including engines, accessories, radars, systems and tooling, be covered by the tech transfer proposal.
While the Russians and Europeans are ready to offer ToT of critical parts, like the radar, the US are still refusing it and the licence production of APG 79 AESA radar for example should be very unlikely. They might offer the assembly of the radars in India, but the radar will be produced in the US, which gets obvious also through the wikileaks about Boeings offer to produce parts for all F18SH. They get some airframe parts, like the wings, or tain fins, but key parts like radar, avionics will not be shared and that's even what the F35 partners are complaining about too.
As far as I understand it the ammount of ToT is not the important part, because it can be 100% of toolings, or airfame..., but 0% of radar, or engine, for example. What is important for MoD/IAF should be critical techs that makes us not dependend on foreign vendors and will help for our developments too.
Juggi G
BRFite

Post by Juggi G »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

It has been quite years (2-3 years?) since Mig 35 started flying. Given established tech base in Russia, it should have been easier for them to do these -

1. Increased the composite content Mig 35 to 70% or greater.
2. Improved AESA radar or perhaps offer to integrate Israeli ones.
3. Engine - change to have Saturn AL version - high thrust to weight and reduced emission on a 117 variant, with a future support to change to Kaveri variant.
4. Weapons integration support for extending to Metor, Pythons and home grown.
5. Perhaps have the pak-fa inlet technology transferred from sukhoi for reduced RCS.

This puppy would win if all these were done.
Sancho
BRFite

Post by Sancho »

SaiK wrote:It has been quite years (2-3 years?) since Mig 35 started flying. Given established tech base in Russia, it should have been easier for them to do these -

1. Increased the composite content Mig 35 to 70% or greater.
2. Improved AESA radar or perhaps offer to integrate Israeli ones.
3. Engine - change to have Saturn AL version - high thrust to weight and reduced emission on a 117 variant, with a future support to change to Kaveri variant.
4. Weapons integration support for extending to Metor, Pythons and home grown.
5. Perhaps have the pak-fa inlet technology transferred from sukhoi for reduced RCS.

This puppy would win if all these were done.
The biggest problem is money!

Mig is struggling with money because they have no orders, not even Russia will buy Mig 35s and we are the biggest Mig 29K operator, even above RuN. Same can be said about Phazotron, that had not even enough money to pay their workers, which caused delays in the production of Zhuk radars. So if they can't do the basics, where should they get the money for further improvements/developments?
Btw, if the Israels was pressured not to supply their radar to Saab and Gripen, it should be out of question for the Russians too and a Flanker engine in the Mig? :-?
The Mig has no future and they would have better chances, if they had done it like Boeing, offering the same carrier version for IAF and IN. I mean Mig send a slightly modified Mig 29K / KUB version to the trials anyway, so why all these hype about a lighter Mig 35, with more weapon stations, TVC and AESA..., when they could simply offer Mig 29K with TVC and AESA. More cost-effective because of commonality to IN, ready developed and available in time, but they didn't and promised big changes that might never come. Not to mention the all eggs in one basket argument, that even air Chief Naik used recently in an interview.
No, there should be no doubt that MMRCA will be a western fighter, but Russia will get enough other deals, so they don't mind it anyway.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Naah.. it is not money, Mig would definitely win having a big clout with IAF. They have already saying many things including 50-50 venture with compete ToT. They could have easily got loans for making this.

India is not Sweden, hence that equation does not apply to us. Israel would be happy and so would be Russia.

Mig as of now has no future, and that was the reasons I thought for them to correct.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

The Saint running the show at MOD is clearly unable to get things done.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Karan M wrote:
The Saint running the show at MOD is clearly unable to get things done.
I would not worry too much Karan. It is not advisable to believe anything that Stratpost says. IIRC, it is one of the forbidden sources on BRF.

Considering the Indian Babudom, there is always a chance of delay. I am not disputing that. It is just that I find Stratpost to have little credibility.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Its not just Stratpost, and I thought it was StrategyPage that was forbidden?

ToT issues hold up Indian fighter buy
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/ ... hter%20Buy

Let me provide some background, there is confusion, dissatisfaction about DOFA. You can find Business Standard articles about it being understaffed & somewhat ineffective earlier itself.

Aerospace is not a business where anyone can sign up to execute an offset, the requirements are stringent, and foreign OEMs are having a tough job trying to find the right kind of vendors to source from & they have been putting pressure to relax the requirements by making them more wideranging.
While business continues as usual, and some companies have already begun executing on their commitments, you have to understand that the MMRCA asks for 50% offsets. Thats $5B in offsets. Thats equivalent to the entire HAL Capex for 10 years announced a year or so back. And that is one program. Existing programs like P-8, C-130 all come with more Offsets

The DOFA problems mean the offset clause may not be monitored as strictly as it should be & it will take time for the MOD to pick up on deviations. Saint being risk averse, means more delays, as it has to be either A-ok or it will not be cleared.

Offsets also make price negotiations more complex. Companies raise product prices when offsets are involved.

If all this is not enough, India has been busy revising and releasing one version after another of its Defence Procurement Procedure & finding out creating a proper MIC framework is a job of decades and cant be just achieved overnight.

Currently TOT is not part of offsets, because it is hard to quantify what exactly a Tech is worth, yet we are willing to pay extra for TOT separately. You can also expect lobbyists to further muddy the issue by asking for relaxation of FDI cap, for relaxing offsets to non aerospace, for them to be less stringent.

So its not just a question of babudom (our BR Forums favorite attack horse), but the fact that entire politico-military structure, was unprepared for the kind of systemic effects, their decisions would cause. This falls squarely under the Saint responsibility but even after so much time, enough has not been done. Probity and non corruption is fine, but work needs to get done as well.

Delays can also cause a cost hike.
http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... lo/386534/

And
"While offset clause only focuses on the value of the deal, there is no weightage given to quality of the technology provided. E.g. high-tech electronics system and machined components are assigned same value. There is no added bonus or incentive for companies to provide advanced technology when compared to mediocre components."

http://www.india-defence.com/reports-4811

Work in progress system of rules mean delays are possible. My solution: order more LCA MK-1s!!
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

we keep talking about LCA Mk-1 orders. i dont know if we have the capacity to produce them if ordered as suggested here in the timeframe we would need them.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Karan M,
I think you are correct. It is indeed "Strategypage" and not "Stratpost" which is forbidden.

And yes, offsets and TOT mess is highlighted in recent articles by Ajai Shukla. It is indeed a mess but that is to be expected considering that this was out first Offset policy of this magnitude. So, eagerly awaiting for new Offset policy while hoping that Shukla's fears do not come to pass.

Also, regarding more mk1s...there is no denying a big need for that. IMO IAF will certainly order more mk1s near or after FOC.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

V_Raman wrote:we keep talking about LCA Mk-1 orders. i dont know if we have the capacity to produce them if ordered as suggested here in the timeframe we would need them.
Please follow and continue this discussion on the LCA thread to avoid side tracking form the thread.