Siachen News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Re: Siachen News & Discussion

Post by nachiket »

sudeepj wrote: Lastly, from the program, it appears that there is tremendous distrust in the IA towards the PA. This is to be expected after pakistani actions.. Some more CBMs from the Pakistani Army, as opposed to the civvies (such as trade/tourism) are in order.
If IA's distrust of the pakis is justified, why do civilians such as yourself not share that distrust? Do the paki betrayals of trust affect only the IA not Indian civilians?

As for CBMs, first of all I don't understand what you mean by more CBMs. There have been zero CBMs initiated by the paki civilian establishment, let alone the paki army. All CBMs and normalization initiatives are started by India, which usually fail after some spectacular paki sponsored terrorist attack in India (or in the case of ABV's Lahore trip, paki military invasion). They have yet to reciprocate the MFN status (they have only announced it, not implemented).

In the case of Siachen even if the pakis suddenly lose all their pakiness and agree to demarcate the AGPL as it currently stands (following which the IA withdraws from Saltoro ridge), the fact remains that the IA will not be able to stop the pakis from doing what they do best, stab us in the back and occupy the positions after the IA leaves (notwithstanding Brig. Kanwal's fanciful notions of joint monitoring). IMHO the reason the IA is pushing for demarcation of the AGPL is that they hope that in case the pakis betray us after this fact, the government of the day will treat it as a casus belli and authorize the IA to open other fronts against the pakis to force them to withdraw from Siachen. If the IA withdraws without the AGPL being demarcated (and the pakis subsequently move in), you can be sure that the GOI will chicken out and ask the IA to capture the Saltoro ridge positions back without crossing the LOC in other places. Such an operation of course can only end in unmitigated disaster.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

nachiket wrote:
Jarita wrote: What is driving him towards repeated compromises on India?
Nobel piss prize and leaving his own legacy. But that is OT for this thread.

I don't think it is OT because it is driving decisions around Indian territory.
It is hard to believe that a Nobel Peace prize would motivate territorial concessions
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

You can see rohitvats, that all you arguments will still mean nothing in the face of commitment to withdrawal no matter what. Its not about any concrete position-on-ground argument. Its an agenda to be established. The withdrawalist position is ultimately ideological - so that arguments and points will be taken up, and changed or dropped - but they are essentially cover for the real agenda of withdrawal.

If comments by IA connected personnel helps the agenda then they are gods whose criticism becomes blasphemy. If such comments do not help or counters the agenda then those comments have to be ignored or not brought up. The selectivity of presenting evidence and ignoring or sweeping away counters as "I believe such and such is impossible..."etc - should tell you that you are fighting an ideologically committed hidden agenda.
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

Sudeepj
Well thanks anyways.

janab, why the need to show tactical brillance on Indian side of the AGPL.

The matter is rests on authentication from TSPA side as I understand it.

Of your 3 options
2. is the worst as it bring foreign attaches.
1. again is meaning less. (I fail to see the need to an score own goal first, in the name of fair play)

Can you tell me differcence between 1.5 and 3. To me they mean the same.

1.75 I think you added blow up goma-chulung road just for effect. Who is going to do that IA or TSPA going to do that for us as a favour?

If you gathered, *after* watching the program that there is deep mistrust for (TS)PA with IA, then it is a problem.

As for Brig Gurmeet Kanwal was there any support for him from any Mr Kapadia and other ex-serviceman (including those who frost bitten) i.e. except from TSPAF guy, and TSPAF means 0 WRT to intentions of TSPA.

The creativity of diplomats, why refer to Tashkent and Simla accords. I hope input from IA is duly factored into GOI's thinking.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

@ManuT

The GoI cant take IA opinions for granted, they have their own media contacts and use them to mould public opinion.

The Goma Chulung road proposal is actually serious (at least to me).. Roads in these unpopulated areas are like weapons.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

@rohit

I realize, I only posted my conclusions, instead of the reasoning by which I reached those. To be fair, these are not a proper response to your quite detailed posts on the last page. Give me some time and Ill respond to these pt. by pt.
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

sudeepj wrote: Lastly, even on Siachen itself, there are a number of disengagement pathways possible. E.g.
1. Restore pre Meghdoot position and have the CFL run true north. This is a huge concession to Pakistan and the corresponding concession from them will also have to be large (and not a paper concession or a promise to do something in the future, but something thats a concrete deliverable.)
1.5 Premeghdoot, but demarcate and delineate some positions north of NJ9842, to make the line more favorable to Indian security in Shyok vallley. This is a smaller concession than (1).
1.75 Premeghdoot, demarcate/delineate some positions north of NJ9842, blow up the goma-chulung road on the Pakistani side :D. This is an even smaller concession than 1.75
2. Recognize AGPL by on the ground authentication, visits of international military attaches etc. Then as per military logic, the situation deescalates. This is not a concession, though by verification of AGPL, and knowing that India will not be the aggressor, the Pakistanis can deescalate on their side and save some money by their own actions. This is not much concession by either side.
3. Recognize AGPL by turning it into LoC. This will be a concession to India as true North meaning of CFL is changed and LoC will run North-Northwest after NJ9842.
sudeepj,
it looks like you are all determined to give away siachin with Ladakh to PAK/China.
But once you give them siachin they will demand whole kashmir, then whole himachal pradesh, Punjab, UP, Rajasthan etc etc.
If we trust the enemy, be sure our grandchildren will have names like mohammd, sayyad,aurangjeb etc etc.
Learn from history :)
sudeepj wrote: At the end of the day, diplomats will need to be creative if this dispute is to be solved.
Each time at treaty our diplomats have been eating shit,
we can't rely on diplomats to get anything beneficial for us.

Btw, I think its not going to make any difference for us if siachin is vacated.
- Pak sponsored Islamic terrorism will not stop at all.
- Threat of Paki attack will still remain.
- Threat of chinease invasion will still remain.

Even if we give away whole kashmir to pakistan just to please our fellow brother sudeep,
Our defense spending will not decrease nor will we disband our army,
to become a superpower we need to have strong armed forces.

Also we have managed good economic growth despite this issues, so we can manage in future as well.
Its the pakis that are crashing economically :D

1. we shall make things worse for them, and take advantage of it.
2. Just take advantage of their situation.
3. Atleast keep the status quo, we are not loosing by keeping status quo.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

it looks like you are all determined to give away siachin with Ladakh to PAK/China. But once you give them siachin they will demand whole kashmir, then whole himachal pradesh, Punjab, UP, Rajasthan etc etc. If we trust the enemy, be sure our grandchildren will have names like mohammd, sayyad,aurangjeb etc etc. Learn from history
Sameer ji, What ever makes you think I am willing to give them Siachen? I am simply trying to better understand our military posture in the Glacier. And my determination or indetermination matters not one whit to the GoI who decide on these matters..

(Added later) But if a disengagement helps get our soldiers out of a dangerous frontline safely and guards our strategic interests, I am all for it.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

rohitvats wrote:I have wanted to rebut this idiotic proposal for some time and finally, I have time today. Before falling hook-line and sinker for anything with “peace” written on it, one should at least look at the entire thing in detail - as they say, beware of the Greeks bearing gifts. The same applies to Pakistanis in double measure.
Some ground rules first. Folks should critique something based on a certain vision this operational plan works under. If the vision of a “political agreement”, to move towards peace in a piece meal fashion is not accepted, for WHATEVER reasons, good or bad, and then the critiques are all pointed towards some other envisaged vision that guides the writings then the critique of the operational plan becomes pointless. It is no longer the critique of the plan, but a critique of the vision of the political agreement or its assumptions thereof.

The report is a set of operational procedures or a template through which modalities of “demilitarization” of a “disputed” area can be achieved. It assumes, there is political agreement to achieve the same. The strategy presented in the paper is based on several principles:
1. There should be general adherence with the provisions of the Simla Agreement
Translation: Any violations of it shall be protected with the full might and force at disposal to restore status quo ante.
In fact looking at Kargil, even though I am critical of the decision to stay only on our side of the LoC, it established one fact very clearly. India shall uphold the sanctity of the LoC, achieved post Shimla agreement – at ANY cost. So, there is credibility behind this statement. It means, once an agreement is signed the full might and force of the GoI shall be used to uphold it. The actions we have taken at Siachen – even if militarily unwise as per some, is based on the Shimla principle (even if there is some technical violation due to very practical reasons of the same by India).
2. An agreement for disengagement should be without prejudice to current or future agreements associated with Pakistan’s and India’s border with China
Translation: No decision is being made on the LoC. On whether it goes North West of NJ 9842, stays along the ridge lines of Saltoro or joins north east at KKP. If TSPA agrees to something like this, post AGPL ratification, it should be looked upon by India as a win and acknowledgment of the IA’s ground held on the back of its sweat and blood.
A disengagement agreement should enable the civilian and scientific use of the Siachen area under international arrangements.
Translation, any violations post demilitarization shall have some international recognition as they were operating in the area based on the envisaged “political agreement”, even if, these international organizations have no role in its enforcement. Also, it is an enabling provision, meaning both parties should request such “civilian” involvement, participation is non-binding and can be withdrawn at any time. It enhances the “recognition” of any agreement entered into by the parties, especially between parties with such high levels of mistrust on each other.

Back to critiques by rohitvats:
The biggest draw-back of the above proposal is that it plays to PA strength in terms of geography and there is de jure acceptance of Pakistan claim to the glacier. What some on this forum naively believe to be an exercise in "de-militarization" of Siachen is in fact reversing the clock to pre-1984 days and indirectly accepting disputed nature of Siachen and claim of Pakistan to the area - PA is trying to do through peace negotiations what it could not achieve militarily.
I think the demilitarization plan itself is without prejudice, since the UZ and include areas both east and west of the NJ9842 going north, however I would like some adjustment in these lines. As far as dejure acceptance to the glacier claim is concerned, TSP claims the entire state just like we do!

1.The Uninhabited Zone - Please look at the southern boundary of the Uninhabited Zone (UZ) – this is exactly along the claim line of Pakistan as far as the Siachen Glacier is concerned. It runs from NJ9842 to KK Pass in north-east. This is how the maps and atlases used to show Siachen area before we went up the glacier in 1984. By showing AGPL along Saltoro as western part of the UZ, it shows the dual claim to the area and de-facto establishing it as disputed territory – it is India which is the biggest looser here. In spite of us doing all the hard work and suffering in terms of money and manpower, we end up with reversal of status quo so assiduously achieved over the years.
The assumption being the status quo of holding the ridge is acceptable to us? No territory that we hold is being given to Pakistan. The principle here is the Glaciers should be demilitarized as a trust building exercise to achieve bigger peace objectives along the LoC. It may provide a template for the entire LoC. I agree, the UZ line should not go all the way to KKP (am not concerned on TSP claims). It should end where the Shaksgam line ends, a little west and clear of SSN. It will uphold the principle of the UZ for the Glaciers.
2.All this while, we’ve maintained that Pakistan had undertaken cartographic aggression by showing alignment from NJ9842 to KK Pass in eastern Karakorum. It was to negate this alignment actually taking shape on ground that we went up the glacier – and to buttress the point that the alignment ran “thence north to the glacier” from NJ9842.By accepting any such alignment of the "Peace Park" we make our claim to the region as a matter to dispute - contrary to the position held all this while.
The dispute already exists. I am not worried about their claims. They have that since 1947. I think the UZ should end on the west, where the Shaksgam meets the Karakoram and not at KKP. On the west, I wish we apply the same principle of the glacier and take it further west towards K2. That is why, I asked my question. What was India’s cartographic expression of the line going north?
3.By including the original claim line into the picture through this ‘peace proposal’ PA intends to get the foot back into the door.
If I am a Paki cynic, I would say by including Dansam in the CZ, India desires to occupy Dansam so that Indian forces can come down from the ridge lines and India will back stab eventually, just the way Siachen was pre-empted on some excuse. Forget the validity of the actual events, for they will never get resolved. My point is fear, uncertainity and doubt cuts both ways. Pakistan has reason to fear not us.
4.In any future negotiations on the subject, this southern boundary of the UZ will come back to haunt us.
Assuming monitoring fails and that we shall not cross the LoC and that we shall not use Air assets to cover for the geographical nature of the deep Nubra Valley.
5.The Civilian Zone – This part of the argument takes the cake. I am bit surprised, and saddened, that someone like GK agreed to this part and is proposing this along with an ex-PA officer. Look at the sheer chutzpah of the proposal. The CZ impacts the security angle of two sectors. Let me explain in parts:

a.Khalsar-Sasoma-Warshi axis – the main access route to the glacier for Indian Army - As per the proposal, no military activity is permitted in the Civilian Zone. For India, the CZ extends from Warshi (south of Dzingrulma) to right up to Khalsar (where Shyok and Nubra meet). So, Indian forces recede by almost 70kms from their base camp – the Siachen glacier is further 76kms from the base camp in Dzingrulma. So, in all IA moves down by good 140kms from the present positions. This is reaching the same status as in 1984 or pre-1972 even.
Khalsar-Dzingrulma itself is about 70 KMs. This is not an exercise of measuring who moves by how much. The intent here is to provide a buffer to the UZ. Is there any reason for the forces to be in the Khalsar-Warshi axis, except for Siachen? The driver for the 70 KM CZ in this axis is the topology of the region and nothing else.
b.Let us compare this with the withdrawal by the Pakistan Army – from Dansam (east of PA 323 Siachen Bde HQ at Khaplu) to Ghyari is ~30kms and from Ghyari to Bilafond La would be another 15kms. And this is not as the crow flies but actual distance. So, a side with more difficult access to the Siachen (with up to 3 weeks marching time from base camp) retreats more than 3 time the distance than PA which has much easier access to Siachen and much better infrastructure. PA troops can reach Ghyari by road and thence, it is 15kms to Bilafond La – Indian troops reach Dzingrulma by road which 40kms from the Lolofond Glacier – this glacier leads from Siachen to Bilafond La. Anyone who controls Bilafond La can ensure that no opponent can move further up the Glacier.
Dansam will be part of CZ. So no forces are stationed there. Monitoring at access control points takes care of any troop movements in the CZ and especially in the UZ shall be detected. There is only one way to beat India at this game, it is through Air superiority, which they shall never have. Oh, forgot, or If India is caught sleeping. If we goof up, we cross the LoC and make them pay!
c.In short, if tomorrow yellow matter hits the fan, IA will move 40kms from base camp to strategically important Bilafond La through more treacherous terrain while PA will move 15kms from base camp at Ghyari through much easier terrain.
Assuming all monitoring fails and we are sleeping at the wheels and Pakistan has the wherewithal to stand up to our forces!
d.The Conway Saddle – this is the most absurd part of the entire proposal. For India to access and maintain Siachen there is only one South-North axis along the Siachen which begins at Dzingrulma. Which means that Indian soldier manning the area opposite Conway Saddle in northern most part of the glacier begins his journey at base camp. Indian controlled area consists of Sia La pass on Saltoro and Indira Col, Indira Saddle and Turkestan La along the Karakorum mountain axis.
Again, monitoring at key access control points at Askole, can take care of this. What I would want is in the spirit of “demilitarizing” the glaciers this west ward point be moved to the KKH or the K2. Probably too late in the game for that. My issue with Conway Saddle is not military, it is conceptual. I do not think, there is a military issue here. Next point is on that.
e.In case of PA – their axis to maintain this part of the glacier starts from Skardu, goes through Shigar Valley, then to Askole and finally to Baltoro Glacier further east. It has nothing to do with Dansam/Khaplu. PA can literally sit at the snout of the Baltoro glacier and be outside of the so called CZ. When push comes to shove, all that PA has to do is move up in couple of day’s time to capture the area in the northern glacier section – Indian troops will need to move all the way from their base camp – provided they can do that. This is because if PA decides to take Sia La and southern face of Karakoram watershed, rest assured, Bilafond La would have been taken.
PA has easier access to the ridge is a simple fact of geography. To what purpose will PA make a move on this route, which is 80+ KMs from Askole to the ridges. Once there and detected, what is the plan, just to sit there on and stumble upon a conflict. I think, there is a huge but mistaken understanding of the matter. As per Gen Chibber, “we stumbled” upon the Siachen operation. It is not as if we had this great strategy of occupying Saltoro for some great strategic reason and it was the best military plan devised to achieve the same. It was classic myopia of our leadership. IG instructs IA to keep it local and not broaden the conflict. IA takes a technical view of the matter (of the point north of NJ9842) and adjusts to military realities of the ridge. Alternatives such as sitting at Dansam loosely defended at the time are not explored. Ofcourse, all of this is in hindsight and we will never know the full real truth. But from whatever we do know, what is clear is PA simply has no guts or more importantly capabilities to confront the IA, let alone stumble upon the Saltoro like India did. This cannot trust syndrome and FUD should not be taken too far. There is a way to risk mitigate many things, provided political will and capabilities are clear.
So, this is not about ensuring that the guns fall silent and everyone goes back home happy but to bring a dispute back from the status-quo to active discussion level which will be raked in the future. For PA which has been never able to do anything about the Indian on the Saltoro, this is the best possible solution - they will go back and claim that the demilitarization is as per Pakistan's claim on the area and both sides have agreed on the disputed nature of the area.
So, we can then claim that in the future we will look to demilitarize all of the glaciers and make all of the Karakoram a mountain of peace from KKP to KKH. Happy! Talk is cheap, let them claim what they want.
If PA is so sincere about the demilitarization of Siachen, then let them sign AGPL maps and go back to base camp in Khaplu as India would to Dzingrulma - but with a caveat that India can maintain a very small body of troops on glacier/passes to keep monitoring the situation.
Good luck with that proposal. Why does the following monitoring not suffice for a Trust but Verify structure beats me. (except for I know, cannot trust the Pakis)

1. A Joint Monitoring Center at Siari
2. Remote monitoring systems will be established at access control points (ACP) on roads to detect, assess, and report traffic to monitoring stations in Pakistan and India or at a JMC.
On the Pakistani side, they are proposed at
The roads to Goma and the forward bases in Gyari (east of Goma) and Kurma Ding (near Kharkondus) all traverse a bridge over the Dansam River in Dansam (see Figure 18 in GK report). This bridge is an excellent location for an ACP and remote monitoring system. There is little potential for bypass at this location.
The road from Niyil to Askole and the Baltoro Glacier passes through a narrow Shigar River valley. It presents similar opportunities for an ACP near Askole.
3. Remote Sensing through cooperative aerial overflight
4. On-Site inspections for special conditions
5. Satellite based surveillance

Furthermore, both have capabilities to monitor each other’s air space.

I get the do not trust Pakistan message. What I do not get is the FUD, which seems to be more directed at our own leadership. The other message is, a rising India can afford to take risks with a puny Pakistan. Conflict has not worked to further out interests. It is time to give peace a chance.
Kanishka
BRFite

Post by Kanishka »

The Pakis have always relied on the WKK's to do their bidding in india.
It helps them to continue with their agenda of destabilising and harming India.

MMS is pushing through the American agenda for the region. Nobel Peace prize will be the icing on the cake.
To agree to change the status quo in Siachen without solving the Kashmir issue once and for all WILL open the door
for external intervention diplomatically or even militarily in 5, 10 or 20 years.
Kashmir will burn once again and America will use the "kashmir issue" to control India for years to come.

What is lost on the WKK's is that the underlying requirement for peace is a genuine desire for it.
Nothing else is required.

If Pakistan really wanted, it could have made peace with India long time ago.

GOI should be discussing POK and not Siachen.
POK was the first of the many problems created by Pakistan. It should be resolved first.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Just for information, Lt. General Katoch was Bde.Commander for Siachen Bde during Kargil.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

@ShuaryaT - I'll reply to your post. But when thing which is obvious from your post is that the onus of any sort of normalization rests on India and Indian Army. In the entire post, there is not a single argument on how PA can alleviate the Indian concerns - it is we must adjust and any how any arguments India (or I) put forth is an impediment in the peace process. This when it is India which has been the aggrieved party all through the history of Indo-Pak relations.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

ShauryaT wrote: In fact looking at Kargil, even though I am critical of the decision to stay only on our side of the LoC, it established one fact very clearly. India shall uphold the sanctity of the LoC, achieved post Shimla agreement – at ANY cost. So, there is credibility behind this statement. It means, once an agreement is signed the full might and force of the GoI shall be used to uphold it. The actions we have taken at Siachen – even if militarily unwise as per some, is based on the Shimla principle (even if there is some technical violation due to very practical reasons of the same by India).
Sanctity nothing. There was a hoopla only because the pakis were sitting on NH 1. If they'd occupied some other random peaks life would have gone on. GoI can't even be bothered to move when the heart of it's financial capital is attacked.

All that said I think we need to find a way out of Siachen. I don't wish to condemn any of our soldiers to a tour in that godforsaken place with the toll it takes. And only a political agreement can solve the Kashmir issue. It has to be a comprehensive agreement though. An incentive beyond "Aman ki Asha" has to exist for the Pakis to be kept in line. And the will to use punitive force to punish them if they step out. The political will to respond as you expect a violation to be responded to, simply does not exist in India. The only sensible way to respond to an attack an occupation is to riposte in another area of local superiority. I have a hard time seeing any potential dispensation in the near future(and certainly not the current UPA) responding in that manner. Our politicians will show armchair bravado and decide that only those peaks are to be attacked. No crossing the IB. No expanding the conflict and opening up other fronts. We'll end up losing a couple of thousand young men so some moron can strut about the stage claiming a moral upper hand. This to restore status quo ante.

And given the Pakistani proclivity to frequently come up with 'tactically brilliant' plans this whole things is basically a recipe to create a whole lot of widows.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ShauryaT wrote: Oh, forgot, or If India is caught sleeping. If we goof up, we cross the LoC and make them pay!
This will never happen. If we did not do this during Kargil and Parakram, why do you think a future GOI would authorize the Army to cross the LOC? (Keeping in mind the nuclear factor) This is the army's fear as well. I'll bet my left crown jewel that if the PA were to move in and infest Siachen after the IA moves out, the GOI's response would be to either do nothing, or to order the IA to take back the territory without "escalating" the conflict. And as "puny" as the paki army may be, the terrain will ensure that we cannot succeed in such an operation without sustaining horrific losses. When you advocate withdrawal from Saltoro, you are condemning many IA soldiers to their deaths in the near future when the inevitable happens.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

^ +1

All these talks of demilitarisation is from the comfort of couches and chairs of power. Ultimately the price will be paid by some unknown soldiers' lives. I challenge anyone proposing demilitarisation to enlist themselves or one of their near and dear in the field army and then speak of the p"ss process in Siachen.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

sudeepj wrote:
I am very much around and following the discussion. Viv's issue is an ideological one and there is no point in repeating one anothers ideology again.
Still here too. My support for withdrawal isn't exactly ideological. The glacier is basically impassible and you can't create logistical lines traversing it. By authenticating the AGPL in a bilateral agreement, our position gets sanctified on paper with a Pakistani signature. Which only leaves the question of whether the Pakistanis will violate the agreement - IMO they will not take such a monumentally stupid step in spite or perhaps because of their history of misadventures (I suppose you could call that an ideological stand).
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

From an earlier post-
rohitvats wrote:If PA is so sincere about the demilitarization of Siachen, then let them sign AGPL maps and go back to base camp in Khaplu as India would to Dzingrulma - but with a caveat that India can maintain a very small body of troops on glacier/passes to keep monitoring the situation.
Sure. Why just a small body. Retain the entire deployment of troops there, while reducing strength annually by 10%. Keeps the whole deal reversible contingent on Pakistan's sticking to the agreement, while still allowing the political leaderships to tout an achievement.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Can anyone tell me wanting us to demiltarise, why does our enemy TSP and its Army wants us to do it, especially without authetincating AGPL. Surely our enemy is not intrested in our Soldiers welfare. and why can't they take the first step by withdrawing upto Skardu?

What territory are they willing to give in return. Some of those Thar coal reserves are near the Indian border, atleast that land can be exchanged- so Siachen can be one area to anther?
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

rohitvats wrote:Sudeepj,
Look at the location where cursor is centered here:http://wikimapia.org/#lat=35.4710306&lo ... 11&l=0&m=h

This will show you the access to Siachen from Shaksgam Valley. East of this location is the Sub-Sector North (SSN) or Daulet Beg Oldi - our last holdout on Aksai Chin. The cursor on the map is centered on KK Pass.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=35.5112837&lo ... ram%20Pass

Now consider this - can PLA roll down the linkage between Shaksgam Valley and outflank and isolate our SSN?
Rohit

The PLA tried to do precisely this, i.e. surround DBO in 62, but they came via the chip chap valley, not Shaksgam.. Physical occupation of the Saltoro does not prevent a repeat. Even today, DBO can be encircled by staying out of Shaksgam entirely. An unfortunate aspect of Aksai Chin is that Chinese logistics are much better in the area, while we face the Eastern Karakoram ranges, and the only ground link to DBO is via Sasser La, which is a mule path. The territory on their side is much more open, and the road head much bigger.

Secondly, how will possession of the Saltoro ridge or the glacier prevent such a movement by the Chinese? There is no scope of an offensive movement up the Siachen across the turkestan la down the Shaksgam and then east..

Thirdly, if Sasser la is cut off, which is substantially to the South of Shaksgam, DBO is effectively cut off and the only link is via air. (This is not completely hopeless, as the last mile connectivity of the Chinese is also via air..)

Lastly, once again, I will ask - what is the role of the DBO outpost? In my opinion it is two primary purposes:
1. Show the flag, to assert some level of credibility to a political claim.
2. Early warning, to detect any misadventures by Chinese by doing patroling etc.
If you want to understand the lay of the land and gradient, choose Google Terrain from Map Type link at top of the Wikimapia. It will show the gradient. Now, coming to the height part - the height is relative to the valley floor.
Agreed, the valley is more than 1km below the Northern Siachen passes. All these passes are created by glaciers, which due to the large gradient, are basically ice pinnacles. E.g. see these pictures by the Russian expedition.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44432278
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44432275
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44432274
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44431820
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44431806

Absolutely no transport (such as snow mobiles) can be moved along these glaciers, the way we do in Siachen. People can walk on the sides of the glaciers, but thats hardly an invasion route! There is no road into the Shaksgam valley.. So how will this invasion force be supported?

Lastly,the Shaksgam valley is frequently dammed by the glaciers and is subject to glacial lake outburst floods.. Its a really inhospitable terrain.
Last edited by sudeepj on 08 May 2012 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^BTW, just to make my stand clear, I'm all for withdrawal from Siachen but no "Peace Park" jointly operated by India-Pakistan. Siachen is Indian territory and I don't give rat ass about Pakistani sentiments. Sign the AGPL, accept it as de-facto border and give it the same sanctity as LOC in Shimla Agreement.Plain and Simple.

As for Siachen having strategic significance, well, I'm yet to start on that part and come to it in detail in some time. Rest assured, the entire Nubra Valley becomes open to interference from PA should they occupy the heights. Also, please remember that PA need not restrict - in fact it will not restrict itself - to Saltoro.

Let me quote a paragraph from the book written by PA Officer on Siachen (Fangs of Ice):
This was the Quaid Post at an altitude of 21,600 feet, named after the company which established it in April 86. It stands out as the loftiest feature in the heights of Bilafond sector overlooking Rana and Akbar Tops to the West, Prem in the North and Yaqub in the East where enemy lay entrenched in mutually supporting and well riveted dug-outs. Primarily, the top served as an observation-post from where enemy’s rear could be amply observed. Enemy would particularly feel teased by Quaid OP when it directed artillery shelling onto it as far back as the heli-zone in their rear, not allowing air-dropping of reinforcements nor any movement without cover. Quaid OP was set up on a plateau not more than 15 meters in radius. From an aerial view the top looked like a swelled octopus of ice with its 3 major tentacles spread out in long protrusions sloping down as they extended outward. Its rearward arm was a large cliff with a sheer fall of 300 feet on all sides at the base of which was located the Quaid Post that supported the Quaid OP. Its right projection was a gradually falling spur fading into a forest of broken conical rocks, whereas on the left was a thick mass of rising rock falling steeply on its sides. Own troops had only one approach towards the peak moving along the rope tied with iron pickets curving its path over the homeward projection of the rocks. Deep crevices and steep boulders would push them further to the east. Area to the left of Quaid Post was criss-crossed with deep gorges and huge crevasses. Dizzying steepness of OP’s side in the west ruled out chances of any access to it through this route. Enemy too could only negotiate the OP along the right slope where the gradient was gradual and manageable.
Now, please ask yourself this - can PA move from east and south-east from AGPL to reach a location where they can interfere with IL-76 operations in Shyok Valley?

Like I said earlier, there are many good reasons for demilitarization of Siachen - but lack of strategic importance is not one of them.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Absolutely no transport (such as snow mobiles) can be moved along these glaciers, the way we do in Siachen. People can walk on the sides of the glaciers, but thats hardly an invasion route! There is no road into the Shaksgam valley.. So how will this invasion force be supported?

[img]http://philip.greenspun.com/philg/digip ... h.half.jpg][/img]
Last edited by sanjaykumar on 08 May 2012 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Another question to the proponents of withdrawal and who give the argument about India reserving the right to strike across anywhere, please do elaborate on this -

(a) Where do you think India can do this?
(b) If the answer to the above is across LOC and that too in Northern Areas only, can you please elaborate on the how does one do it and what is force structure required?
(b) What is the present force level and the cost for raising additional force levels?
(e) and please compare the above cost with holding cost of Siachen.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Rohit

The question is, interfere with thoise operations with what? their heavy arty will be beyond turtok, which is more than 30 miles away from Thoise. At best, they can infiltrate some 81mm/120mm mortars (10km range) to some ridges above Chalunka and try to disrupt movement along the Shyok valley road. But thoise is 25 miles away from Chalunka! and ~30 from Turtok!

Once again, this is not going to be completely unopposed.. The India army will fire back, and we will have the advantage with air superiority, and a road thats closer to the point of conflict than them.
Last edited by sudeepj on 08 May 2012 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Sanjay ji, look at the picture links I posted above and see if you can roll a bus along that glacier.. :D

The Glaciers into the Shaksgam valley are pretty much huge ice knives all the way.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44432278
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44432275
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44432274
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44431820
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44431806
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

rohitvats wrote:there are many good reasons for demilitarization of Siachen - but lack of strategic importance is not one of them.
There are none. If Pakistan is bitten by the peace bug, then it is always free to unilaterally demilitarize. Why this pressure on India to reciprocate? Pakistan attacked well defined LoC at Kargil, and still occupy some posts, what is the guarantee they'll honour the AGPL even if it is defined.
sanjaykumar wrote:Absolutely no transport (such as snow mobiles) can be moved along these glaciers, the way we do in Siachen. People can walk on the sides of the glaciers, but thats hardly an invasion route! There is no road into the Shaksgam valley.. So how will this invasion force be supported?
Sanjay, mules are much more surefooted than humans, and move more men and materials in the mountains even today than mechanized transport, whether in India, Pakistan or Afghanistan. Indian Army RVC is the largest exporter of mules to US CENTCOM in Afghanistan.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44432275 One can very easily move 105 mm pack artillery broken up and distributed on mule packs on this route depicted in the photograph.

It is obvious posters who believe snowmobiles and Tatra trucks are the only means of military logistics are clueless on the ground realities.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

tsarkar ji

having some experience of climbing little hills myself, I know that mules are much more sure footed than humans. Humans only outclimb them when they use their hands.
But when I mentioned no transport, I did not include mules in that category, this was, to me clear by the included example of snowmobiles. mea culpa, I should have said, motorized transport.

Even if a 105mm arty piece is transported using mule pack, 105mm arty = 3 tons, at least for the IFG. How many mules will we need for that? at say 50kgs/mule at that height. We also need to include about 4kg of food/mule/day.

Lastly, how valid is the effectiveness of creeping up on heights, and directing fire below today, in the days of accurate counter battery fire and smart shells?

*lastly, I dont think 105mm arty pieces are mule transportable. The biggest mule packable arty, in my knowledge is mortars and 75mm pack howitzer.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

I stand corrected, there is after all, a 105mm pack howitzer, though its range is only 11 kms.

Oh.. crafty crafty humans.. :D
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

Sudeepj, you are now twisting the arguments. That transportation is not possible, then you shift goal post. The main point is, based on Kargil and previous Siachen experience, a single mortar in the right location can block enemy troop advance. Given the terrain, even if IA does a counter attack, it will also have to be lightly armed.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Have you considered the fact that higher caliber guns can be transported piece meal by helicopters?
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

sudeepj wrote:I stand corrected, there is after all, a 105mm pack howitzer, though its range is only 11 kms.Oh.. crafty crafty humans.. :D
Oh.. ignorant ignorant human.. :(

http://ofb.gov.in/products/data/ammunition/lc/7.htm
17.6 km
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Histo ... arish.html has the image of a Pakistani medium lift helicopter capable of transporting 155 mm artillery. Low flying helicopters in the mountains cannot be detected by radar because of clutter.

BTW Sudeep, why did Pakistan violate the well defined LoC in Kargil sector? What guarantees do you provide against further misadventurism?
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Khar asks India to take bold initiative on Siachen
She said Pakistan was willing to resolve the dispute even as far back as in 1989.

“Today Pakistan still sticks to its stance and we want India to also take a bold initiative in this regard.”
This is how the talks are progressing, the onus seems to have been put on MMS. Why does India need to take a bold initiative? India lost lives and treasure to get to where it is. Lets not forget that Americans would be lobbying very hard to get MMS to concede someting to Pakis.

Congress and especially the family should be made to pay the cost in electoral politics if they allow MMS to do something drastic on Siachen overriding the advice of Indian Army. Criticizing MMS wont cut it, as he is expendable. The family should be taken to the task and should be made to suffer in the next elections. Anything short of that threat wont stop MMS.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Actually if one sees, the investments made in defense of Siachen or even it's offense by Paki's are quite non escalatory. I will explain what i mean here. The basic defense has been putting some fit men from mountain divisions, equipping them with mortar and artillary type weaponry on top strategic ridge points by men, mule and heli's. But what India should do and Paki-Chinese may do in the coming decades is blast tunnels across sections to link up, put up cable cars to get to top strategic positions. Spending 2-3 Billion USD in the coming decades will be small change for India in the near future. Blasting a tunnel 10-20 km through a mountain/s is not a big deal today technologically and it has been done n number of times. It has not in Siachen region because a minimalistic expense has achieved strategic points domination do so far. Let us put that into our perspectives. Today spending a couple of hundred crores to keep Siachen does not raise hackles, spending 12000 crores on sophisticated cable cars and tunnels in the future may not.
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

tsarkar wrote:
sudeepj wrote:I stand corrected, there is after all, a 105mm pack howitzer, though its range is only 11 kms.Oh.. crafty crafty humans.. :D
Oh.. ignorant ignorant human.. :(

http://ofb.gov.in/products/data/ammunition/lc/7.htm
17.6 km
Not to mention, in the rarefied atmosphere like in Siachen, the actual range achieved will be much farther.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

My understanding of North to the Glaciers is actually a line North West..right to where the Westernmost Glaciers exist in the Northern Areas. There should not be any of these beautiful glacial regions in Paki hands first place. Travesty and insult to nature and beauty.
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

sudeepj wrote:their heavy arty will be beyond turtok, which is more than 30 miles away from Thoise. At best, they can infiltrate some 81mm/120mm mortars (10km range) to some ridges above Chalunka and try to disrupt movement along the Shyok valley road. But thoise is 25 miles away from Chalunka! and ~30 from Turtok!

Once again, this is not going to be completely unopposed.. The India army will fire back, and we will have the advantage with air superiority, and a road thats closer to the point of conflict than them.
So first we vacate the glacier and make some room for future paki invasion and conflict?
And then thousands of our soldiers die to recapture the heights?

Let me assure that if you vacate Siachin, Pakistan will put forward their Islamic Jihadi Groups to occupy that vacated area. And then they will claim to have no control over the terrorists.
Besides the jihadi groups making trouble in pakistan will have something to play with and will be diverted, reliving the Poakies to do more nasty things.

So you will do many many self goals by giving them room.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

harbans wrote:... It has not in Siachen region because a minimalistic expense has achieved strategic points domination do so far. Let us put that into our perspectives. Today spending a couple of hundred crores to keep Siachen does not raise hackles, spending 12000 crores on sophisticated cable cars and tunnels in the future may not.
It is unbelievable how amrikis are taken on piskology ride by pakis to push India for anything.

Better Indians make a way to Afghans after Amriki withdrawal. With Russia as a friend/observer of such projects and approvals as convenient.. Even Amrikis will benefit, provided Amrikis dont fall in more piskology traps being friend of pakis. But who will make Amriki stop interfering any more? As friends, Indians should do something about it and stop Amrikans continue any more of piskology!
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

sameer_shelavale wrote:So you will do many many self goals by giving them room.
Also to remember that every Indian has lot of interest as the glacier is strongly connected to Indus river.
Ashutosh Malik
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh Malik »

Kanwal Sibal, former Foreign Secretary, Ambassador to Russia etc. on the Saltoro/ Siachen issue. I have the entire article pasted below, along with the link. Instructive reading.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/in ... sions.html

"Peace with Pakistan is a desirable goal, but peace should be equally desired by both sides and both should contribute to it in equal measure.

The burden of making peace should not fall on India while Pakistan retains the freedom to disrupt it at will. Normalisation of India-Pakistan relations should not be predicated on demands by Pakistan and concessions by India.

Historically, Pakistan is not a victim of India's war-mongering; it is India that has suffered Pakistani military aggression and jihadi terrorism. Pakistan is more obliged to convince India of its peaceful intentions rather than the reverse.

The notion that India as the bigger and stronger country has to be generous with Pakistan is egregious.

If this principle should dictate the conduct of international relations then China should be generous towards India on issues that divide us - which it decidedly is not - and the US, as the world's most powerful country, should be making concessions to virtually all others - which it decidedly does not do.

Once again we hear talk about culling the low hanging fruit of Siachen in order to politically enable the Prime Minister to visit Pakistan towards the year end.

This agreement will supposedly provide the required substantive outcome that can be jointly celebrated. Why India must make a territorial concession to make its own PM's visit possible and Pakistan need not act on terrorism is not explained.

Those who advocate withdrawal from Siachen - or more appropriately Saltoro as Siachen lies to its east - need to clarify whether we are occupying Pakistani territory.

If we are, withdrawal could be mooted. If we are not, then why should we withdraw from our own territory simply because Pakistan contests India's sovereignty over this part of J&K and insists we accept its position?

Should such obduracy inspire trust in its intentions? The 1949 and the 1972 agreements delineate the LOC till NJ9842, with the line going 'northwards towards the glaciers' beyond that.

'Northwards' cannot in any linguistic or geographical interpretation mean 'north-eastwards', but Pakistan and the US unilaterally drew the line several decades ago from NJ9842 north-eastwards to the Karakoram pass controlled by the Chinese.

In reality, because the entire state of J&K acceded to India legally, the areas not in control of Pakistan are rightfully Indian whether we physically occupy every inch of our own territory or not.

We were compelled to occupy the Saltoro Ridge to prevent Pakistan (under a certain Brigadier Musharraf) from occupying it and threatening our hold over the Shyok valley and potentially Ladakh itself.

Why should Pakistan have wanted to occupy these punishing heights if they have no strategic value?

Saltoro need not have 'strategic' value if our borders with both Pakistan and China were demarcated, neither had any claim to our territory and relations with both were normal and friendly.

It is because this is not the case that we are being compelled to position ourselves the closest possible to the source of the threats.

Why withdraw to positions easier to hold physically and lose available defence depth? Should the army brass take decisions on these questions or the civilian authority?

Siachen is the Pakistan army's agenda. General Musharraf admitted that Kargil was Pakistan's riposte to Siachen.

The argument that an Indian concession on Siachen will strengthen the hands of Pakistan's civilian government in its peace efforts is dubious as we are being asked to appease the Pakistan army for failing to dislodge us from Saltoro.

How will placating it strengthen the army's disposition towards India and the civilian authority in Pakistan itself?

If prior to Kargil India was disposed to end the Saltoro stand-off by experimenting with Pakistan's trustworthiness, with reducing the human cost of occupying such forbidding heights as additional reason, after Kargil India has strong reason to be deeply distrustful of Pakistani intentions.

What is the guarantee that safeguards built into any agreement will not be violated by Pakistan at an opportune time, as happened at Kargil? Meanwhile, with technical and infrastructural improvements the human cost has come down drastically.

What is the compulsion to place faith in an adversary that still fails to address India's key concerns? The jihadi groups in Pakistan still exist; Hafiz Saeed is not being curbed; those responsible for Mumbai have not been tried even after four years and to Kashmir has now been added the emotive issue of water.

Pakistani defiance of the US on the issue of terrorism and truck with Islamic extremists has a lesson for India. Pakistan's Afghan ambitions remain problematic for the region.

Any concession on Saltoro has to be assessed in this larger, unsettled context.

Pakistan's movement on the trade issue is to be welcomed. In response, even without receiving MFN status yet, India has already committed itself to MFN plus treatment for Pakistan and permitting Pakistani investment in India without reciprocal action by Pakistan.

There is no case for rewarding Pakistan also on military- security issues in addition. What happens if just before PM's visit to Pakistan to sign the Saltoro agreement there is a major terror attack in India?

Will we postpone the visit? If this happens just after the visit and the agreement, will we freeze its implementation? What will that say of our political judgment?

Terrorism remains the most critical issue. Ideally, Saltoro should be part of an overall settlement of the J&K issue.

As a first step, before any evenly balanced demilitarisation eventually takes place as a CBM, the LOC should be jointly demarcated beyond NJ9842 along the Actual Ground Position Line, which we now seem to be demanding in what General Kayani sees as a hardening of our posture. Let us stay this course."

Best regards,
Ashutosh
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

tsarkar ..very well said.

SudeepJ firing missiles( mostly duds) from their aircon rooms ...

new definitions

Military logistics = Tatra trucks, snow scooters... Arey ghadhey, khachar kya kaam ke hain phahad mein

Linkup = 6 lane highway with mcdonalds and Pizzaking with motels enroute

CBM = Indian withdrawing from its own territory

North = North West

Give and Take = Indian gives Siachen to Pakistan, Pakistan gives terrorism, jehadis, backstabbing in return !

Strategic Value = SudeepJ own home. ( rest all be dammed, saale move ho jayenge doosri place mein)

Another point SudeepJ fails to understand that when guns etc are placed at an altitude, how their range increases dramatically.

SudeepJ, if tomorrow chinese claim/occupy Siachen as part of their greater Tibet, whats the plan for their eviction?
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

Manjgu ji 

there is a typo in your post.
I guess you mean 'saare' here.
Or I could be wrong here.

Thanks