Shaheen 2 - proliferation unlimited?

NRao
BRF Oldie

Re: Shaheen 2 - proliferation unlimited?

Post by NRao »

The last two URLS - Shaheen 1 - are the one and same missile. The latter is taken closer and slightly to the right of where the prior was taken.

Also, if computing the hright of Shaheen 1, take inot account that it may be on some sort of a "platform" - say about a yard or so off the ground.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Here's a detailed video of the Shaheen 2 test
http://www.pakistanidefence.com/videos/Army/Shaheen2/shaheen2testVIDEO.html

This can help estimate the dimensions of the missile - particularly if we can generate stills from the video for the clips of the missile before launch. Also, unlike the earlier video, this shows continuous footage of the launch of the missile and several seconds after that (the earlier video had three separate clips during and after launch).
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Also, approx. at 2:15mins into the clip, it seems as if separation of stage 1 has occurred (you see a second vapour trail separating away from the first one).

In the time just before launch, you see the same building shown in the following picture
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/031008/ap/kar10110081156.html

This should give an idea of the dimensions of the missile, given our prior knowledge/estimate of the Shaheen 1 dimensions.

You also see Gen Yusuf talking about how this is the first two-stage missile in TSP's armoury.
Vriksh
BRFite

Post by Vriksh »

Now.. is it just me or can other people also see the missile vapour trail betraying a coning/precesion in flight.

THere seem to be abrupt changes in vapour trails that could be caused by atmospheric wind. But I would guess that the missile would have cleared the troposphere ~ 30 km in about 30 seconds assuming close to mach 7.0 as was claimed somewhere.

Also immediately after the second stage separation, we can see the missile changing direction through its vapour trail. .. If we look at Prithvi ~ it has large centrally located fins that suggests guidance is acheived via displacement of the fin in the atmosphere rather than a ballistic trajectory... Agni on the other hand has much smaller fins suggesting non atmospheric guidance thru thruster etc.

The payload nosecone in the Shaheen2 is conical where as agni and prithvi both have non conical non simple payload area nose cone offering greater payload volumes . Ergo the carrying capacity of Shaheen is much smaller than either the Agni or Prithvi.

BTW is there footage available on the missile actually hitting the target, In ballistic flight small deviations can cause massive changes in Point of impact. Absence of this Point of impact footage means either a) they killed the test vehicle by exploding it midway. b) the Point of Impact was not where it was supposed to be. Hopefully the IN was shadowing the TSPN to whereever they were going to get their own footage on the impact.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Originally posted by cshankar:
Absence of this Point of impact footage means either a) they killed the test vehicle by exploding it midway. b) the Point of Impact was not where it was supposed to be.
Absence of point of impact footage does not necessarily mean either (a) or (b). For how many missiles has point of impact footage been released till date?
Vriksh
BRFite

Post by Vriksh »

so why is PoI footage not released... it is because the missile is too fast cannot be captured... how about releasing pics of target after impact... at the sea we could get splash pics of touchdown
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Simple answer - nobody wants to release numbers on true CEP capabilities. Ambuguity on this has been the order of the day everywhere.

Post by Guest »

ONE THING IS THIS PAKI DOES NOT HAVE THE CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURAL FACILITIES FOR DOING RESEARCH AND PRODUCING THEIR OWN MISSILES AND ALSO THEY DO NOT HAVE THE REQUIRED CRITICAL MASS SCIENTISTS FOR THE ABOVE SAID PURPOSE

THIS ARE THE MISSILES TAKEN RIGHT OUT OF THE SHELFS FROM CHINA AND KOREA AND MAY BE IN NEXT 5 YRS THIS WILL BE OUT OF USE U SAID IT RIGHT THEY SEEMS TO DENG FONG MISSILES

OTHER THING IS HOW MANY R LEFT OVER IF THEY GO TESTING THIS MISSILES IN A SHORT SPAN ALL WILL BE OVER
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by nvraju:
ONE THING IS THIS PAKI DOES NOT HAVE THE CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURAL FACILITIES FOR DOING RESEARCH AND PRODUCING THEIR OWN MISSILES AND ALSO THEY DO NOT HAVE THE REQUIRED CRITICAL MASS SCIENTISTS FOR THE ABOVE SAID PURPOSE
Please do not use ALL CAPITALS when you type messages.

Why do you say "THIS PAKI DOES NOT HAVE THE CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURAL FACILITIES FOR DOING RESEARCH AND PRODUCING THEIR OWN MISSILES"

I am not saying that I do not believe you. I myself have refrences for this - but I want to know if you have any separate and new information that I have not heard or read before hat can add to my list of references.

Once again please DO NOT TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY.