Indian Army: News and Discussions 15 Apr 2012

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News and Discussions 15 Apr 2012

Post by Surya »

:rotfl:

You neo khalistanis need to brush up

So much effort turned up only that epitome of fairness from th wonder years BBC :eek:

You could have read the idiot tully

If none from the Sikh community (cops,so called leaders, stock who cowered and cried ) could clean the mafia inside everything else is moot

Again what it shows is you think first of your religion and your region and not the country

So nothing better can be expected
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Indians ??.

Lol
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Surya wrote::rotfl:

You neo khalistanis need to brush up

So much effort turned up only that epitome of fairness from th wonder years BBC :eek:

You could have read the idiot tully

If none from the Sikh community (cops,so called leaders, stock who cowered and cried ) could clean the mafia inside everything else is moot

Again what it shows is you think first of your religion and your region and not the country

So nothing better can be expected
I know this come up :roll:
same article but from Indian site with some more point left in BBC doc
Apar Singh Bajwa

June 09, 2004

It was around five in the morning on June 6, 1984, when I was summoned to the army cantonment area in Amritsar. When I reached there, I was given a special task.

Around six in the morning I reached the Golden Temple complex, which had been ravaged during Operation Bluestar launched by the Indian Army to flush out terrorists holed up in various places, including the Sri Akal Takht Sahib.

What I saw shook me emotionally. Half the Akal Takht [see image above] was devastated and bodies lay all around in the parikrama of the Sri Harmandir Sahib. There was deathly silence. As a policeman I knew how to overcome my emotions. I controlled myself and went to the Darshni Deodi.

Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, Bhai Amrik Singh, General Shubeg Singh, and other dreaded terrorists lay dead. Bhindranwale's face was swollen and blood was oozing from the wounds in his bullet-riddled body.

My job was to identify Bhindranwale's body. The man who lay dead was indeed Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale.

I was entrusted with the task of removing the bodies from the temple complex in view of the impending visits of then prime minister Indira Gandhi, and President Giani Zail Singh. When I returned in the evening I started working on removing the dead, which included women and children. We removed 800 dead from the complex and other buildings in the vicinity.

What made me sad was that many innocent lives had been lost which could have been saved with a bit of effort. Worse, the Punjab police was not even informed about the operation and everything was being controlled by the army and paramilitary forces. Only those police officers who were required for certain jobs were summoned from time to time.

On June 4, I had had a meeting with Lieutenant General Ranjit Singh Dayal and Major General Kuldip Singh (Brar) in the cantonment area with the help of some senior officers of the Punjab police. I had requested General Dayal to allow me some time to negotiate a surrender by visitors and terrorists who were inside the temple complex.

I got a positive response from General Dayal and he gave my mission the green signal. About 250 persons -- men, women and children -- surrendered before someone in the army blew up a water tank in the temple complex. This provoked the terrorists who started firing. Many innocent people lost their lives in the crossfire. No further efforts for surrender could be made as there was mistrust amongst the terrorists. Post-mortem reports later confirmed that some of those who had been killed had had their hands tied behind their backs.

By the time Mrs Gandhi and President Zail Singh visited the temple complex it had been cleaned up thoroughly and not a trace of blood or flesh could be seen anywhere. But the stench of death was still overpowering and could bother you for days in case you managed to get some of it with the air that you breathed.

The Punjab police is often blamed for letting arms and ammunition into the temple complex. But on an average 2,000 vehicles go into the complex area and even if we had spent one minute per vehicle it would have taken us days to clear 2,000 vehicles while the additions would have awaited their turn.

The amount of weapons seized during Operation Bluestar was nothing compared to the weapons seized during Operation Black Thunder a few years later.

Apar Singh Bajwa, who was deputy superintendent of police in Amritsar at the time of Operation Bluestar, spoke to Chief Correspondent Onkar Singh.
Desi source

Few people really big fagot, retard and ignorant about fact. how many you can denounce it.
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

Surya wrote::rotfl:

...People from the Sikh community commanded Op Blue Star, led the initial troops in, and continued the fight and won it in the years to come.
sarabpal.s wrote:

Few people really big fagot, retard and ignorant about fact. how many you can denounce it.
Really?! You may first need to learn how to spell correctly the insults you want to direct against people.
The amount of weapons seized during Operation Bluestar was nothing compared to the weapons seized during Operation Black Thunder a few years later.

You really undermine your case, which in any case seems to be to be an apologist for the fanatical fringe of your religion, when you quote people who turn facts 360 degree.

Read this to gain new insight about what "the true defenders of the Sikh faith" were up to at that time...

http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/publicati ... ehood4.htm
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

...People from the Sikh community commanded Op Blue Star, led the initial troops in, and continued the fight and won it in the years to come.
Rajit

you are late to the debate - but in short this crapfest started when the neo Khalistanis called Brar and by extension the armymen who entered the Temple as rats.

the basic point is we are forced to send the army and since no one else cleaned it up - you cannot whine now

@sarabpal

search a bit more you will find a lot more - after all for many, the faint hope a good word in from ... might get you the prized migration doc :)

BTW could you answer Rohits question
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

@sarabpal

search a bit more you will find a lot more - after all for many the faint hope a good word in from ... might get you the prized migration doc :)

BTW could you answer Rohits question
people need to be clear on a words what they expecting from other :?:

We spend whole week on it i think many branded me khalistani.
i explain my stand on each everything i don't need do it again if anyone need a answer try search few pages.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

awwww am sorry for you having to explain your Khalistani position and calling Brar a rat.
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Surya wrote:awwww am sorry for you having to explain your Khalistani position and calling Brar a rat.
as you like I made points.

brar know what he did otherwise he would visit the golden temple.
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

Surya wrote:
Rajit

you are late to the debate - but in short this crapfest started when the neo Khalistanis called Brar and by extension the armymen who entered the Temple as rats.

the basic point is we are forced to send the army and since no one else cleaned it up - you cannot whine now
Late in contributing is not the same as late in following what's going on. Since a very specific statement was made about none in the Sikh community rising to the challenge the record needed to be set right or we do people like Brar a disservice.
sarabpal.s wrote: brar know what he did otherwise he would visit the golden temple.
Brar had never even once visited Golden Temple prior to Op Bluestar - like many truly god fearing people he probably has a spiritual connection with his God, and does not need to make public gimmick of it, not being a career politicians like the thugs in the SGPC and SAD.

But why would you want him to visit the Golden Temple? The last time he did he gave people of your kind quite a beating....as he did in London recently... a 78 year old True Sikh > 4 middle aged Khalistanis.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Late in contributing is not the same as late in following what's going on. Since a very specific statement was made about none in the Sikh community rising to the challenge the record needed to be set right or we do people like Brar a disservice.
It was in a specific context

In other words - do not whine about the security forces going in if your greater community did nothing about it.

the record has been set straight a million times with Brar and other Sikhs involved, cops who have died and we have full article on BR

hope that makes sense

but I am fine with your post
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

habal wrote:At the end of the day when you have to choose between Khalistanis and Congress .. whom would an Indian choose in present circumstance ? If a referendum is conducted today, it's answer may surprise/shock many.
You already have answer. Seek and you shall find.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

rohitvats wrote:^^^And your point being?
Well the point is
I have no regrets. I did my duty as a policeman and I tried to act in as fair a manner as possible
And if occasion arises again it would be done in as fair a manner as possible
Sushants
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sushants »

RajitO,Habal,etc..
I dont understand what are you trying to prove here with so many posts, are you saying that what happened in GT was wrong or you are saying that there should be a khalistan?
what happened in GT was definitely wrong, but the point is who started. Its simple, even if you are a head priest of a shive temple if you dance in front of a bull wearing a red lungi, then what happens,sane people would say that you are responsible, because its the natural intinct of that animal to react in its normal manner,there is no point killing all the bulls everywhere.

Similarly when someone insults a holy shrine by bringing weapons inside, making it a fortress, taking hostages, calling for a war, what happens next is what a state does when such situation arrives, be it GT or holy temple of Jerusalem .
AFA GT is concerned , why did Bhindrawala went there with weapons and like a terrorist. He may be a hero to some but what he did is how terrorists do. If you are asking for alternatives against Op Bluestar, then ask those madmen who still think it was a right decision from a khalistani viewpoint.

Yes, India learnt from that mistake and it was avoided in Srinagar, but the whole point is some people wanted to add holy places as their weapon of choice and certainly army is there to cut those hands which hold weapons.
Now GT is a peaceful and as holy as ever , its only in the mind some fanatics think that it remains desecrated.

Peace
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

chaanakya wrote:
rohitvats wrote:^^^And your point being?
Well the point is
I have no regrets. I did my duty as a policeman and I tried to act in as fair a manner as possible
And if occasion arises again it would be done in as fair a manner as possible
+1 if situation demand . Army had power and ultimate winner so carefull with emotion and religious place.
malli
BRFite -Trainee

Post by malli »

saadhak wrote:
rohitvats wrote: "Janani Janma-bhoomi-scha Swargadapi Gariyasi".....There is nothing beyond the motherland...if tomorrow GOI has to storm a Hindu place of worship to flush out anti-national elements, not a tear will I shed.
+1 Totally agree
not a tear,,,,even if it was tirupati or madurai.....
religion comes behind the country. always and every time.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Indian Army to get its own attack helicopters
After talking to both Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne and Army Chief General Bikram Singh this week, Mr Menon advised the Government that Army should own and operate the medium lift attack helicopters.
Four exercises held on the western front under Western and South Western Commands in 2011 and 2012 had brought out the need to have attack helicopters as an integral part of the assembled firepower.
-Ankit
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Ankit Desai wrote:Indian Army to get its own attack helicopters
After talking to both Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne and Army Chief General Bikram Singh this week, Mr Menon advised the Government that Army should own and operate the medium lift attack helicopters.
Indeed a great development, long overdue, probably delayed due to the spat between MoD and Gen VKS. I assure you, there are many more twists and turns ahead on this topic.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

A very wise and sensible decision,since the IAF for aeons has turned its nose up at the menial task of close support which has created much heartburn with the IA.It can now concentrate upon the greater task of air dominance,defence of the subcontinental air space,long range strike,and it is also past time for it to acquire strategic bomber capability,as a first step acquiring SU-34s,easy to induct.The IN must also acquire its small fleet of Backfires/Blackjacks,whatveer is availabel at reasonable cost.
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

This article contains a real gem if true

The first batch of Apache helicopters to be bought from USA programme may go the Indian Army.

But to think that fixed wing assets - transport and CAS will go to the army might be hoping for too much.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

^ Apaches in army :mrgreen: - that would be like adding salt to the "wound"
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Singha wrote:^ Apaches in army :mrgreen: - that would be like adding salt to the "wound"
Someone quoted on net

'Apache Indian'

:)
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Rajit0, I dont think the army ever requested CAS or TPT fixed wing aircraft. They wanted a dedicated attack chopper capability. Almost every army worth its name in the World has such a capability. Including our esteemed neighbours to the West.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

RajitO wrote:
This article contains a real gem if true

The first batch of Apache helicopters to be bought from USA programme may go the Indian Army.

But to think that fixed wing assets - transport and CAS will go to the army might be hoping for too much.
1.It’s true. Economic Times quotes Gen. Bikram Singh for the news that the Army will get to keep the Helicopter fleet.
2.Regards the batch of 22 AH-64 Long Bow’s , Economic Times say that the IAF will keep them citing “MoD sources”.
3.Then there is this bit on the Army’s Helicopter acquisition plans, namely 30-36 “ heavy-duty attack” helicopters and 114 “Rudra” light combat helicopters:
"The Army will get 'future' acquisitions. It will have to come up with its own concrete plans for induction of attack helicopters, with all their infrastructure, maintenance and training matters," said a source.

The Army wants one heavy-duty attack squadron (10-12 helicopters) for each of its three "strike" formations - 1 Corps (Mathura), 2 Corps (Ambala) and 21 Corps ( Bhopal) — in keeping with their primary offensive role. Moreover, it has plans to induct another 114 'Rudra' light combat helicopters for the remaining 10 'pivot' corps.
Read it all here:

Government rebuffs IAF, gives Army attack choppers
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Well, Ajai Shukla seems to reporting a different angle on the Apache Gunships ownership -

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2012/10/i ... pters.html
In a letter that was issued on Thursday, the MoD has ruled that the military’s entire attack helicopter fleet will be owned, operated and maintained by the army. This includes the 22 Apache AH-64D helicopters that are being procured from US company, Boeing Defence, Space and Security (BDS); as also a new-generation fleet of combat helicopters that Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) is currently developing. That will include 179 Light Combat Helicopters (LCHs) and 76 Rudras, which are a weaponised version of HAL’s Dhruv Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH).

The IAF’s existing fleet of rapidly fading Russian Mi-25/35s, for long the world’s most heavily armed attack helicopter, will continue to be operated by the air force until they are retired from service.

The most immediate effect of this decision will be that, instead of IAF pilots, Army Aviation Corps pilots will be going to the US for training on the Apache AH-64D.
The MoD has also accepted the army’s long-standing request for Mi-17 medium lift helicopters to be located in army camps in J&K, so that heliborne contingents can be launched into operations without delay. The army says that heliborne operations are invariably delayed because a cumbersome IAF hierarchy takes too long to sanction the use of its helicopters.

All in all, a good development - the heartburn and some bad blood not withstanding....but I still fail to see the ability of IA/AAC to support and man Apache Squadrons.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

enough money thrown at the problem can solve it. DefMin might ask the IAF to "loan" some of its people and infra to get things up and running.
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

http://news.outlookindia.com/items.aspx?artid=777962
The ownership of the existing two Mi-35 attack chopper squadrons will not change and the Apache choppers, for which the negotiations are going on with the US, would also be inducted into the IAF only," IAF spokesperson Wg Cdr Gerard Galway said here.
Air Force PRO contradicting the Chief of Army Staff. :oops:

I see a public spat between the Army and Air Force developing here, as AK Antony's MO is to allow ambiguity to fester until too late.

On this issue as well as on CDS the IAF has resorted to really petty politics, and needs to be put firmly in its place.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

Attack choppers for army: 'Acceptance of ground reality'
"However, this decision should not been seen as if the air force is losing all control. Out of the 22 Apaches, a certain amount of choppers would remain with the air force. Also one should not think that the air force would become defunct after this decision. The air force would continue to do its work such as precision attacks, destruction of radar installations and also striking at terrorist camps. The army would only have a direct control over choppers during a ground operation".

"This should also not be seen as a shocking decision. In the past too the air force has handed over control of its aircrafts. They have handed over their reconnaissance aircrafts to the Indian Navy. The navy today is also getting the P8 I which again would be under their control. Also the IAF had handed over choppers such as the Chetak and the Cheetah to the army."
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

imo the Apaches for the strike corps are a waste because none of them are kitted up for mountain ops. yes they will hold annual exercises in suratgarh and jaisalmer but we all know the pakis have no mojo left to be undertaking a serious land war against us, and neither does delhi have any keen desire for hot pursuit to punish them.

first let us convert 2 of the strike corps into mountain corps, rebase them - one to ladakh, one to north sikkim, with the right changes in equipment and then equip them with apaches and LCH. the 3rd strike corps can be kept as reserve against TSP. we need 2 strike corps in ladakh, 1 in north sikkim and 1 in western arunachal.
rohankumaon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rohankumaon »

I have a newbie question here to gurus - How the operations of these attack choppers by IA would be affected in non sanitized air space? If IAF need to sanitized air space, how these things are going to work given the inherent slowness in co-ordination among IA and IAF?

Direct me to relevant spaces if this has been discussed before!

Thanks in advance,
Rohan
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Singha, Pakistan Army has enough Mojo to stop India from achieving its aims and objectives and they are always on lookout for improving their war making and fighting potential...so, rest assured, the Strike Corps in plains and attendant increment in the strike potential of Pivot Corps is not going anywhere.

And these are Strike Corps for the offensive potential that they have...the armored and mechanized formations. Strip them of these and they are like other Corps. So, even if you put them against China, you'll need investment in arms and equipment to make them 'Strike Corps'.

The Mountain Warfare oriented Corps will see induction of LCH+Rudra, there should be no doubt about it.
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

I have a newbie question here to gurus - How the operations of these attack choppers by IA would be affected in non sanitized air space? If IAF need to sanitized air space, how these things are going to work given the inherent slowness in co-ordination among IA and IAF?
Non-sanitized airspace and even ground space would pose the same problem to an IAF-crewed attack chopper as it would to an IA-crewed attack chopper. If the IAF is unable to perform defense suppression of enemy anti-air assets on the ground and in the air it will be a problem as we found out in 65 when 4 IAF Vampires were lost in the opening rounds.

In fact the Army will have greater flexibility in deciding whether it wants to use a flight of attack helicopters for dedicated sanitization, especially of ground based LLADs rather than depend on the Air Force to come to that party.

Take a look at the following link for an excellent illustration of "jointmanship" in enemy air defence suppression from Gulf War I.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Flying+th ... 0286971012
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Good decision to have let the Army have its own Attack helicopters. I would also recommend letting the army have its own medium lift helicopters also.

I only hope that the Attack helicopters for the army means getting LCH and Rudra to the army and not ordering another batch of Apache's for the army as well.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

I believe that both Army and Air Force should get to keep the helicopters. This way they don't need to call each other when required. The Army can use it for ground ops while the Air Force will use it for deep interdiction, operation with AWACS & perhaps SEAD. This way they can both operate smoothly without stepping on each others' toes.

The new attack helicopters should go to the IAF. IA might go for an order if they work well. Me thinks Apache was an H&D decision if only 22 is the final order. If not, they can be split between IA & IAF where IA can use it for ground ops & IAF when called upon for heavy air support. There are some capabilities that helicopters that planes dont. When called for CAS, IAF should be able to pick the right tool for the job without restricting themselves with fixed wing planes.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

sarabpal.s wrote:
+1 if situation demand . Army had power and ultimate winner so carefull with emotion and religious place.
I wouldn't like that situation to arise at all. We need peace and prosperity and a Scheme of things where people find their voice in the system and aspire for better things in life. Punjab is a successful state by most of the indicators. It has always faced the brunt of invaders from West valiantly and fought in medieval rulers and british colonialism. And , even now, when war takes place it is the first to feel the impact. People deserve better. Instead of blood and mayhem May peace prevail.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

nakul wrote:I believe that both Army and Air Force should get to keep the helicopters. This way they don't need to call each other when required. The Army can use it for ground ops while the Air Force will use it for deep interdiction, operation with AWACS & perhaps SEAD. This way they can both operate smoothly without stepping on each others' toes.

The new attack helicopters should go to the IAF. IA might go for an order if they work well. Me thinks Apache was an H&D decision if only 22 is the final order. If not, they can be split between IA & IAF where IA can use it for ground ops & IAF when called upon for heavy air support. There are some capabilities that helicopters that planes dont. When called for CAS, IAF should be able to pick the right tool for the job without restricting themselves with fixed wing planes.

The money that was used (and is being used) to buy the attack helicopters belongs to the IA. The new vacancies that were sanctioned by the induction of the attack helos, ie the vacancies of brigadiers, cols lt cols etc., etc. which legally belonged to the IA were hadpoaed by the IAF.

This is the crux of the IA - IAF difficulties.

The IA wants its marbles back. They don't want to play anymore. Where is the argument??

The IA understands it's own operations and jawans like non other. They are the best judges of what to do with their OWN assets. :)
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

If IAF wants to keep some of them, I dont see why we should force them into heli nude mode. IIRC, the Apaches were paid by the IAF. Let Army pay & get what they want. The maintenance & training can be common to reduce duplication but there should be separate assets where IA & IAF can decide which tool to use for battle.

IAF should have helicopters for CAS because they can work with the rest of the air fleet well (AWACS, LCA). IA can also have CAS helicopters of their own since they understand the situation best. At times, IA might require IAF support where IA & IAF helicopters can work together. I think we already exercise for contingencies where IAF provides battlefield awareness to IA. There is no reason in my mind why both can have their separate sets of toys.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

What is canard that is being spread that "they were being paid for by the IAF"? Nonsense. The aircraft are being paid for by the Government of India, out of the annual defence budget. And said government has decided that the aircraft are going to the army. End of story. The Air Force's grandfathers didnt pay money to buy these equipments. The GOI did. Rest, all bakwaas.

Its no loss for the IAF. Its simply a fact that CAS choppers really should be with the service that uses them most.

Dyou know how many Apaches the USAF owns? NONE! Dyou know how many attack choppers it has? ZERO!

Dyou know how many total helicopters the USAF owns? 191, out of a total of 5700 aircraft.

How many choppers does the US Army have? Over FIVE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED. How many attack choppers? Over 1500.

Its pretty obvious, in America, Helicopters are with the army, and proportionately almost zero with the USAF.

Now lets look at the UK. How many choppers with the RAF? 140. How many attack helicopters? None.

British army chopper inventory? About 190.
All attack choppers are with British Army Air Corps, NONE with RAF. Surprised? I hope not.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

"We are going to contract for Apache and these will be paid for by the IAF, flown by the IAF and maintained by the IAF," Browne said.
Is he lying?
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

nakul wrote:
"We are going to contract for Apache and these will be paid for by the IAF, flown by the IAF and maintained by the IAF," Browne said.
Is he lying?
Maybe, it is all posturing, wonder why ACM opened his mouth on this subject when he very well would have known the decision of GOI? IAF did not pay for Mi-25/35s, how come they paid for its replacements?