Rafale & MMRCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
member_22605
BRFite

Re: Raffy wins - Go Katrina!

Post by member_22605 »

GeorgeWelch wrote:
raghuk wrote:For example if 2 students give an exam and both fail, the minimum marks being 35. One of the guys scores 34 and the other scores 15 and if you were to definitely pic one of them, whom would you pic? The IAF was faced with a similar situation and they did what any sensible person would've done. The IAF was faced with a similar situation and they did what any sensible person would've done.
Did you see the evaluations? Do you have quotes from someone who did see them? Or did you just make that up?
I was not part of the evaluation team but i do know people who were part of it and i am not obliged to tell you all this, but quoting from your article
Tellis' report notes that the F-16IN was found non-compliant on five counts: "growth potential, carefree handling (and automatic sensing of external stores), sustained turn rate, engine change time, and assurance against obsolescence over a 15-year period."

Apart from the engine change thing, you have not addressed any of the other vital parameters which cost the fugly F-16E the prize. The fact is both the teens were found to be kinematically pathetic and there is no hiding from this fact. The Mig was brilliant in this aspect but was found wanting in the other and remember saying No to Russia is even more difficult than doing it to the americans.
Again all this proves that the evals were thoroughly professional and that the IAF was not going to accept anything less than what it wanted.(heck when they can't accept the tejas for its performance, how do you think they'll take anything foreign?)
My last post
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

^^^^
Justifying what LM and Boeing and Tellis did or not in your own words. good commentary.
It is the words of others in your posts including yours :rotfl: :(( :mrgreen:
no wonder sore losers. :(( :((
always some else to blame. :roll:

Facts cannot be altered.
1) teens lost out on technical parameters in the most comprehensive evaluation of all times. For the first and only time in the aviation history american planes lost out fairly and squarely.
wihtout political arm twisting /backing they are also rans.

This MRCA has done lot of damage to american etch and dee. They have to go back, analyse and bring out the best in their products. it will beneficail to them in the long run if they take it in the right way without resorting to political backlash.

Now other countries look at teens with MRCA evaluations in their mind.
Amongst all countries which import defence products India looms large in their calculations due to its robust requirements on testing.
IIRC when India buys something many other (developing) counries just follow suit if it is needed in their countries.
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Post by GeorgeWelch »

raghuk wrote:The fact is both the teens were found to be kinematically pathetic and there is no hiding from this fact.
Especially when you refuse to accept the difference the EPE engine makes.
raghuk wrote:The Mig was brilliant in this aspect but was found wanting in the other and remember saying No to Russia is even more difficult than doing it to the americans.
Not really . . .
raghuk wrote:Again all this proves that the evals were thoroughly professional
I'm sorry, holding planes to different standards does equal professional
raghuk wrote:the IAF was not going to accept anything less than what it wanted.
And what did the IAF want? Presumably it was codified in the RFP . . .
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Post by GeorgeWelch »

krisna wrote:Facts cannot be altered.
1) teens lost out on technical parameters in the most comprehensive evaluation of all times.
One question: If the teens were so obviously inferior, why did they have to resort to gimmicking the competition?

The fact that they had to resort to such measures indicates that it wasn't nearly as clear-cut as you would like to imagine.
member_22605
BRFite

Post by member_22605 »

Better performance is not always about thrust, the gripen uses the same F414 but still manages to supercruise. Its the aerodynamics of the airframe that counts. Putting a bathtub on a rocket(f-35) apparently hasn't worked out, the USAF still might not complain but sorry, we have other priorities and feeding the LM/Boeing factory workers isn't one of them. The next time you can probably try making a genuinely good aircraft and trust me the IAF(if it is still buying imported) will take your offer, till then happy cribbing! :)
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

One question: If the teens were so obviously inferior, why did they have to resort to gimmicking the competition?

The fact that they had to resort to such measures indicates that it wasn't nearly as clear-cut as you would like to imagine.

George

statements like that are not going to buy you any friends here

stop whining else you are no different than others with their pet projects here
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Post by GeorgeWelch »

raghuk wrote:Its the aerodynamics of the airframe that counts.
It's both aerodynamics and thrust, and Boeing had the analysis to show that the EPE would help the SH easily meet the trans-sonic acceleration requirements.
Surya wrote:

George

statements like that are not going to buy you any friends here
Truth hurts :D

The Rafale is a fine plane, I'm sure it will work fine for y'all.

Oh well, we are a little off-topic. It's over and done with, c'est la vie.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

No George

truth hurts for you because no one buys a garbage plane to continue a dead old line

only annoyance was that we even considered the crap because of the pressure to save face for your whiny politicos and others

thanks for your condescending line

now shooo - dont you have an embassy somewhere burnng which could use those old planes for protection?
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Georges arguments are of a far lower standard than our French commentators....Arthuro kelesis .

for a nation that loves facts and figures...he comes across as quite emotional .
Jaybhatt
BRFite

Post by Jaybhatt »

Surya wrote:No George

truth hurts for you because no one buys a garbage plane to continue a dead old line

only annoyance was that we even considered the crap because of the pressure to save face for your whiny politicos and others

thanks for your condescending line

now shooo - dont you have an embassy somewhere burnng which could use those old planes for protection?
Hallelujah ! Does George Welch's attempt at French ("c'est la vie", if you please) mean he is quitting the arena finally ? If he is, he should be saying a silent prayer to the great General (Marquis) de La Fayette. Without him and the other French soldiers, brother George's America would still have been a British colony. Driving on the left and toasting old Lizzie, and all that.

There will still be Shri Septimus P to carry the Stars and Stripes on this forum. We may well see him in a new incarnation (Q, R, whatever). :rotfl:
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

these guys can hump nd flog the teen series all they want . Just hope their arguments are technical and not based on heuristics.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

GeorgeWelch wrote:
SaiK wrote:what is the problem in accepting a decision based on policy rather technical alone?
There is no problem IF that is what you put forth as the requirements.

The problem is if you put forth a set of requirements and then have a second set of 'secret' requirements that you don't tell anyone about.

It basically makes the first document a lie and the entire process a farce.

Whatever you want to base your decision on, be upfront about it. Don't say "we will make a decision based on a, b, and c" when you are actually making a decision based on b, r and z.
I understand the you, here meaning IAF. MMRCA, afaik is the most transparent one done for a long time in India, where do have other secret stuffs, that is besides the point. The point is there is no proof to tell that that is not the case, meaning if that was never in the requirements. Unless you have the copy of the requirements, we should not claim one over the other. If you have a claim, then there exists counter claim arguments.

If the entire process is a farce, and there is this secret requirement that is not presented, then USA would have long taken GoI to task on this.. meaning, they have gone to court... they were given clear documents from MoD (however, this could be secret for you, since you are one among us or public who has no access to documents - unless you say, you are the sales person and was in exchange with the MoD, India for the MMRCA deal).

We have upfront said only A and B were selected based on technical evaluation.. now that was never secret, and MoD had dispatched a report on the decision made to Washington, IIRC. dig for it.

Of course, we rejected C, D, E and F... cause, they did not satisfy "our requirements" - both policy and technical needs/wants.
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

Rafale was bound to win since rumors have it that the French paid huge amounts to get this thing to win, Sonia seems to have a lot more new accounts with french euros. IAF didn't mind since it got a decent aircraft, not the best but not bad either. This had been fixed years ago already. SH International was and still is the best option, it not only delivers cutting edge proven, reliable combat capabilties, it would also brought in much needed closeness with the US (without this closeness we still stand no chance against China).

The smartest thing IAF can do down is atleast get some real heavy US weapons on the Rafale and save the plane from being a bird with terribly wasted potential.

Eitherway, off to see the Rafale today for the second time, it is an impressive bird, looking forward to it.
arthuro
BRFite

Post by arthuro »

Septimus P. wrote:Rafale was bound to win since rumors have it that the French paid huge amounts to get this thing to win, Sonia seems to have a lot more new accounts with french euros. IAF didn't mind since it got a decent aircraft, not the best but not bad either. This had been fixed years ago already. SH International was and still is the best option, it not only delivers cutting edge proven, reliable combat capabilties, it would also brought in much needed closeness with the US (without this closeness we still stand no chance against China).

The smartest thing IAF can do down is atleast get some real heavy US weapons on the Rafale and save the plane from being a bird with terribly wasted potential.

Eitherway, off to see the Rafale today for the second time, it is an impressive bird, looking forward to it.
You should realize that your personnal opinion is just...an opinion. After the technical review the SH international offer was rejected...Yes it is the SH block2 that was tested and not the "international" version but so was the typhoon with its mech radar instead of the typhoon with AESA...Yet the typhoon passed the technical evaluation but not the SH "international". S

Thus SH international cannot be called the best option : it was technically eliminated by the IAF. The rest is just your own dreams.

Fact is the rafale along with the typhoon eliminated the SH international on technical grounds and then the rafale was deemed L1. So as a conclusion the rafale is a far better choice than the SH international.
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Post by GeorgeWelch »

SaiK wrote:The point is there is no proof to tell that that is not the case, meaning if that was never in the requirements. Unless you have the copy of the requirements, we should not claim one over the other. If you have a claim, then there exists counter claim arguments.
There seems to be a lot of confusion about what I'm saying, so let me clarify.

My case is very simple:

1. We know Rafale and EF radars did not meet the requirements. This is not me saying this. This is from Tellis who saw the evaluations. Was he lying? Was he mistaken? Unless you have evidence to the contrary I'm going to say it is truth.

2. We know that one of the reasons that IAF gave LockMart that they failed was the engine swap time and we know that that was due to exceptional circumstances. Again this is not me, this is Tellis.

Now we have 2 different failed requirements, how are they handled?

The Eurocanards are allowed to say they will be ready at some future time.

The F-16 was not allowed to demonstrate that it could meet the requirement right now.

Can we agree that is not equal treatment?

Full stop.

All semblance of fairness ends right there.

You say 'But wait! What about all the other requirements it doesn't meet!'

It's very simple, the IAF has already shown it isn't dealing fairly which calls all the other conclusions into doubt too.

So to answer your question about 'secret requirements', the evidence that they exist is the lack of fairness in the evaluations. Maybe they were bribed, maybe they were given orders, maybe they thought one aircraft was prettier, it doesn't matter. What is clear is that for whatever reason they weren't treating the aircraft equally.

And that's a fact you can't deny

I have quoted the evidence directly for you and no one has been able to show why it's wrong.
SaiK wrote:If the entire process is a farce, and there is this secret requirement that is not presented, then USA would have long taken GoI to task on this.. meaning, they have gone to court...
I think we all know that the decision as to whether to file a protest is as much political as it is technical. Deciding not to file tells us nothing about the merits of the case.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

The F-16 was not allowed to demonstrate that it could meet the requirement right now.

Full stop.
You remind me of our Pakistani neighbors. Even they would be smarter than saying a plane which was unable to take off should be treated equally with one without an AESA radar. :rotfl:

Full stop. :?:
Should it not be Period. :mrgreen:
arthuro
BRFite

Post by arthuro »

GeorgeWelch wrote:
SaiK wrote:The point is there is no proof to tell that that is not the case, meaning if that was never in the requirements. Unless you have the copy of the requirements, we should not claim one over the other. If you have a claim, then there exists counter claim arguments.
There seems to be a lot of confusion about what I'm saying, so let me clarify.

My case is very simple:

1. We know Rafale and EF radars did not meet the requirements. This is not me saying this. This is from Tellis who saw the evaluations. Was he lying? Was he mistaken? Unless you have evidence to the contrary I'm going to say it is truth.

2. We know that one of the reasons that IAF gave LockMart that they failed was the engine swap time and we know that that was due to exceptional circumstances. Again this is not me, this is Tellis.

Now we have 2 different failed requirements, how are they handled?

Full stop.

All semblance of fairness ends right there.

You say 'But wait! What about all the other requirements it doesn't meet!'

It's very simple, the IAF has already shown it isn't dealing fairly which calls all the other conclusions into doubt too.

So to answer your question about 'secret requirements', the evidence that they exist is the lack of fairness in the evaluations. Maybe they were bribed, maybe they were given orders, maybe they thought one aircraft was prettier, it doesn't matter. What is clear is that for whatever reason they weren't treating the aircraft equally.

And that's a fact you can't deny

I have quoted the evidence directly for you and no one has been able to show why it's wrong.
SaiK wrote:If the entire process is a farce, and there is this secret requirement that is not presented, then USA would have long taken GoI to task on this.. meaning, they have gone to court...
I think we all know that the decision as to whether to file a protest is as much political as it is technical. Deciding not to file tells us nothing about the merits of the case.
The problem is that you just have a very very limited view of the evaluation and you fill the missing parts with your imagination according to your personnal preference. You are taking Tellis report for face value just because it suits your rationale but without taking into account that this report could give just a very narrow/erroneous explanation of the technical evaluation. In the end if the rafale and the typhoon passed the technical evaluation there must have been good reasons.

As far as we know most if not all contenders praised the professionalism of the technical evaluation and no manufacturer implied rumors of cheating etc...Even after their debrief. The rest is mere speculation.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

^^^

He is only making a fool of himself. Inspite of all the fillibuster, he tells us that the F 16 required an engine change to take off. Pray why would IAF want a similar situation during war?

It shows the sense of enitlement of the Americans. Even though we sent a malfunctioning plane for a US$10B contract, your rejection is due to bias. :roll:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Mr Welch, I agree we have not treated all contenders equal. Now what parameters qualifies for the equality check needs digging, and not everything we have in public is a true statement, including yours and mine. So, you may have your definitions, but you can expect others to counter your thoughts and words. This, sometimes leads to out of topic contentions.

I would also request who call names, counter any counter-claims, to not add fuel rather help in getting your point. (nakul). address the issue and question rather the person who is posting, even if directly says you are a fool.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

I would also request who call names, counter any counter-claims, to not add fuel rather help in getting your point. (nakul). address the issue and question rather the person who is posting, even if directly says you are a fool.
If he can judge the professionalism of the IAF, we can judge his mental capabilites. Fair, no?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

judge his professionalism and rationale.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

judge his professionalism and rationale.
Plane can't take off == Plane without AESA radar

Weightage to Engine == Weightage to radar

While one is essential, the other is nice to have...
I'm no psychological expert, but I can spot BS rather easily.
Jaybhatt
BRFite

Post by Jaybhatt »

SaiK wrote:Mr Welch, I agree we have not treated all contenders equal. Now what parameters qualifies for the equality check needs digging, and not everything we have in public is a true statement, including yours and mine. So, you may have your definitions, but you can expect others to counter your thoughts and words. This, sometimes leads to out of topic contentions.

Strange position by Saik. Seems to have done a somersault of sorts himself.

How on earth does he come to the conclusion that "we have not treated all contenders equal (sic)" ? The losing contending companies have all publicly stated that the IAF's procedure was fair and transparent. Now Saik comes up with the Alice-in-Blunderland idea of "digging" for parameters that "qualify for the equality check". And further blah blah.

All this because some ungracious Americans on this Forum go ballistic on minor issues and whine like little kids whose candy bars have been rightfully confiscated by the class teacher ?

This discussion really needs the House Speaker's guillotine. Another good French invention.

I agree with Nakul : time to tell the American campaigners : "stop", "period" or, better still "chup karo". The French phrase is "ta guele", but I will not step into third-country rivalries.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Nothing strange about it.. It is true we have not treated all the contenders and contending planes equal. For that matter, we allowed Super Hornets, and F16s join in later and much before we had only Russkies and French to provide us the aircraft. It was not on equal terms then.. to allow a newer entrant. So, French brought in Rafale later on. And all of the contenders felt, the RFI was abstract (cleverly perhaps in secret).. EADS joined last, and got screwed on L1.

F16s and Gripen cannot be treated equal terms to other higher twin engined ones. The offered Gripen's MTOW is much lower, and they wanted to change their bid later on, but we did not allow them.. and this caused them to hire people from NDTV to what not newspapers to show how good the Gripen is, etc.. because per them Gripen was not treated equal since they provide (or can provide) same feature provided in Rafale and EuroF.

SH lost the race due to certain parameters that were tested against SH.. and that was not equal to consider two delta wingers against it on such paramters [check turn rates etc.]. Plus, SH was considered differently because they said, they will provide AESA and other ToT only if Washington babooze will provide the clearance. Not fair!? yes. not at all fair. How can one consider an a/c which is manufactured by a country which does not allow one of the chief requirements - ToT be satisfied. It is not equal in the first place to consider them on this ground.

The other stories continues and already well known.
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

I do not doubt the technical evaluations and offcourse in pure flying characteristics (which i am sure what IAF focused on), the EF and Rafale are superior, but thats where the story ends. Many of the things offered on the SH international were not ready for trails but for IAF to not recommend the SH for the downlist was a mistake.

The large display cockpit, next gen MAWS, uprated engines with weight reductions, CFTs, stealthy weapons pds, furhter reductions in rcs, growler and eventually next gen jammers are all goodies we could have had by the time the second suadron starts being built in India. Not to mention the engine commonality with LCA mk-2 would have saved another couple of billion over their life times. However, since none of these added features could be tested Rafale and EF indeed made the cut.

Rafale now needs a proper weapons suit worthy of it's potential.
arthuro
BRFite

Post by arthuro »

Septimus P. wrote:I do not doubt the technical evaluations and offcourse in pure flying characteristics (which i am sure what IAF focused on), the EF and Rafale are superior, but thats where the story ends. Many of the things offered on the SH international were not ready for trails but for IAF to not recommend the SH for the downlist was a mistake.

The large display cockpit, next gen MAWS, uprated engines with weight reductions, CFTs, stealthy weapons pds, furhter reductions in rcs, growler and eventually next gen jammers are all goodies we could have had by the time the second suadron starts being built in India. Not to mention the engine commonality with LCA mk-2 would have saved another couple of billion over their life times. However, since none of these added features could be tested Rafale and EF indeed made the cut.

Rafale now needs a proper weapons suit worthy of it's potential.
It was a mistake according to you... Which his of little value compared to the structured and professional choice carried out by the IAF.

As for SH international improvements none were fully developed & ordered so that's hardly impressive.

Anyone can come with a mock-up as Boeing did with the SH international and tout super systems as long as you agree to pay for it. That is impressive only for the simple minded but hardly for professionals that don't forget balance every criteria (risk, performance, cost, support over several decades...)

Dassault could have come with a fanboy appealing version for the mrca tender with TVC, even more powerfull engines, side AESA etc etc...Yet they felt that the current version for the french air force (1st AESA rafale is to be delivered in the next weeks) is performant enough and more realistic...

That's a sign of maturity and confidence when you can win such a tender with the standard "original" version which is certainly a sign of seriousness and was ceratinly a winning point in the indian offer. Conversely the SH international was a sign of weakness as Boeing knew its standard SH block2 was not competitive enough.

Look septimus, all rafale competitors bar the F16IN had to propose costly and risky upgrades to be competitive...Dassault could have done the same but they didn't because they had the best product by a long way.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

Why does anyone even bother arguing with him. :twisted: If its not made in Amrika by Amrikans then you cant convince him no matter how logical your argument maybe :rotfl:
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Delete please if this is against policies.

Why not throw some mud on the other side too?

How about a simple conspiracy theory that chaps from USA deliberately fudged an engine so the team can demonstrate quick efficient and impressive drill of engine change, meaning loot the Indians with engine troubles but sell efficient engine change drills. Worse, how about the smart French buying off competition instead, by bribing away bribe-prone American team to have some engine troubles?

How about other teams who demonstrated no such issues as far as engines are concerned?

What can any Indian do about it when conspirators are all western?

It is strange that the Indian have to be answerable always regardless of anything else anyway when it is the Indians who are buying jets in the first place.

To provide substance to the above nonsense about engine alone is up to the poster i.e. me, is it not?
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

GeorgeWelch wrote:
1) teens lost out on technical parameters in the most comprehensive evaluation of all times.

the teens did not qualify due to poor marks awarded in the perfomance evalaution. The two european planes selected passed as they scored the highest.
IOW teens are certainly inferior in the yardstick adopted. No doubts regarding this.

remember teens have never been compared in proper light all these years. they have been given through political arm twisting only.
My knowledge may be inadequate in this regard, willing to change it. :(( :((
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Septimus P. wrote:Rafale was bound to win since rumors have it that the French paid huge amounts to get this thing to win, Sonia seems to have a lot more new accounts with french euros. IAF didn't mind since it got a decent aircraft, not the best but not bad either. This had been fixed years ago already. SH International was and still is the best option, it not only delivers cutting edge proven, reliable combat capabilties, it would also brought in much needed closeness with the US (without this closeness we still stand no chance against China).

too many :rotfl: :rotfl: with towels throwing in the end :(( :((

see the number of teens sold around the world by political armtwisting and those of euro planes.

if americans failed and french can pay huge amounts to get the contract, it is a shame on america and not french or Indians.
america being a sooper powel skillful at scr*wing every country including its own poodle could not match measly miserly french who have not sold any raphale so far speaks volumes of stupidity of americans. :rotfl: :rotfl:

IAF did the techincal evalautions, took the top two of among the lot. No politics. americans tried a lot but given little room to elbow in at the last minute.

IAF bought the plane and not relationship-- important difference.
having usa as your close friend is different than having an inferior plane from sooper dooper powel.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

GeorgeWelch wrote:

This accusation reminds me of Shiv's "You farted" game.
shiv wrote: There is a particularly irritating psychological trick that you may have had
played on you, and perhaps you are guilty of playing it yourself. People do
it all the time - but it is educative to find influential groups and nations
playing that trick.

The "game" or trick is to get a person on the defensive with an unprovoked
accusation. The agenda and tone is set by the accuser and the passive
personality goes on the defensive right from the start.

Let me explain. For clarity I will call it the "You farted" game

A group of people are sitting together - say 6 or 7 friends in a hostel room.
Suddenly the foul smell of a fart wafts up.

An accuser personality (call him 'A') picks out a passive personality ('P')
and says "Hey P, you farted"

P protests "No I did not"

A: "Yes you did"

P: "Shut up and stop accusing me"

A:"He Ha. It's OK. No need to cover your guilt by getting angry. I know you
farted. We don't mind - just warn us next time.

What happens in this exchange is that the Accuser 'A' has the initiative all
the time. He sets the pace, and he sets the Agenda. He may actually have
farted himself, but he gets away giving the impression that "P" is guilty.
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

Its senseless talking of what could hav or should hav happened, Just wastes everybodys time. So lets look ahead to stuff like weapons fit, pre induction etc
Everybody has got their pound of flesh fm the indian tax payer, the europeans the americans the russians the south korean the brazalian (we have included just about every one except the chinese)
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Rafale won the competition on technical merit. It will be a done deal by early next year latest. Everybody has their favorites and it's understandable that some can't get over the loss. It was a big deal after all. However, it may be time now to shift the focus onto the Rafale itself. That is the purpose of the thread, no?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

chinese should have the whole retail sector now, via walmart. </ot
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

^^^

I was thinking the same. On a more serious note, we hae to be careful of chinese components in US purchased weapons. They have found to be dangerous by US military for their weaponry.
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

Rakshaks,

As a Canadian, I would like to take this opportunity to underscore the fact that not all Americans are alike, and not all Americans are like GeorgeWelch or Septimus P. or many of the ruling coterie in the various organs of the USG; including the DoD and the DoS, and their dark overlords in the "Military-Industrial Comlpex" (which includes pharma/chem, media and agribusinesses). Indeed, many individual Americans are very openminded and forward thinking -- and would readily accept the notion that the IAF might want a non-American aircraft for whatever reason, whether technical or political (both of which have always mattered, IMO, but I'm not the IAF -- don't forget).

Instinctively, many *individual* Americans embrace the concepts of a free and open competition producing innovation and progress. Indeed, in a very real sense, individual Americans are weened on these concepts. 'Fair play offers its own rewards' is a very common message in childrens' stories; and every American-schooled child can recount the (perhaps mythical) story of George Washington owning-up to cutting down a certain beloved cherry tree, proclaiming "I cannot tell a lie..."

In a very real sense, most Americans truly do believe that America is a bastian of fair play and honest competition (that is, until very recently, when the mortgage bubble burst and it was Americans themselves being scrooooooed by the American system). In their heart of hearts, they truly believe their own hype, which is why they can be so extremely intransigent.

[Of course, this is only possible because (almost) none of them really understand that the land was taken through force and acts of *unparalleled genocide* commited against the 'First Nations'; plus approximately 400-millon African slaves, a tidy 'fillip' known as 'operation paperclip', and 60+ years of "Cold War" atrocities committed all over the world, claiming millions upon millions of lives (a few of whom were even Americans in uniform).]

In my direct and ongoing experience; many Americans are very open minded and reasonable, and are worth discussing even the most controversial topics with. Even on points that you might disagree with them; these intelligent sorts of Americans are engaging and enlightenning; and some of the best guidance/correction I have ever received, has come to me by way of contrarian Americans. IMO, every effort should be made to engage with these sorts of people, from where ever in the world they hail, in order to continuously 'exercise' one's own thinking and ideas. After all, competition is a pretty good way to pick a winner.

HOWEVER, please recognize, reasonable Rakshaks, that that is not what is going on here, a lot of the time, particularly when discussing the MMRCA with the likes of the 'GeorgeWelch SH-chatbot' and the extremely under-employed Septimus P. Maybe their intransigence is borne of one mental oversight or failing or weakness or another. Perhaps they're mentally deficient, as some have suggested, or maybe they're nothing but computers running 'chatbots', as I've wondered myself. Whatever the case may be; understand that when you engage with certain people on certain topics, the result is not anything resembling discussion or debate or dialogue. The result is more akin to 'mutual ma$terbation'. Frankly, it always was unseemly, and now it's just downright obnoxious and offensive.

Maybe they truly do feel that "they" were treated unfairly in the MMRCA (even though they weren't). Maybe they never understood that the MMRCA was the IAF's competition, and not their's to control as they'd wished (which truly surprised them). Maybe they thought they could offer an old aircraft and sell it along with some kind of security guarantee intended to counterbalance China (which is not India's objective). Maybe they felt that upon losing, that they had other options than just to 'take it' graciously (which is apparent). Maybe they thought they could employ some 'moral suassion' (using 'agents of influence' in the press, or here on BRF), or coercion, or graft or dirty tricks or sabotage or subversion or blackmail or any number of other things they have ready in their very big and well-worn black bags. Maybe they just don't understand the physics that would relegate a carrier-borne strike aircraft with atrocious wing loading to a losing position in a free and fair competition with delta-winged aircraft enjoying much less wing loading. Maybe they really thought their planes could take-off with a warload from Leh ( :rotfl: ). OR MAYBE concepts like fairness and free competition are thrown-out-the-window when large sums of money, continued industrial dominance, national security or H&D are at stake -- all of which did take a ding, predictably so. There is quite a lot of precedent for the latter.

Whatever the case -- there is no 'maybe' about it -- WRT the MMRCA, GeorgeWelch and Septimus P. aren't worth the keystrokes, and for the life of me, I don't understand why they don't go off in private somewhere and satisfy themselves with more conventional strokes -- using one hand. I'm pretty sure they'd be better at that.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

Thanks for the info about the American people. Now lets look at their govt.

Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

^^^^
Lookit, it's bad enough we've got Rakshaks working overtime to satisfy the trolls.
Please don't make this thread any worse by posting non-MMRCA / non-Rafale // non sequitur posts.

Certainly don't feel obligated to reply to every ridiculous thing someone posts. Be content with the presence of fools; otherwise you'll never find peace in this lifetime.

I am hereby pledging, not to respond to stupid remarks posted by either of the two aforementioned 'members' about the MMRCA competition. For one, that ship has sailed on all but two aircraft, and soon there'll be just the one winner. What is passed, is past. On another point, it's entirely fruitless to muck-it-up with either of those two.

If they make an intelligent remark, or have something cogent to discuss, perhaps they can be tolerated. Otherwise, if they persist in saying stupid things; I'll just be forced to :lol:

[Mods, please, if they can say stupid things, I should be able to make posts comprising nothing more than :lol:
Hopefully, these :lol: will not satisfy them, and they'll stop making stupid posts.
Don't feed the trolls!]
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

better still, page rak bhai and lock this thread down (TL) or cleanse and continue (CC).
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Rakshaks, mods especially;

It should be fairly obvious this thread is broken, a little.
While we’re potentially considering how to fix it; I’ve gotta pick at another irritant, but this one is germane to the thread and the plane.

I think I understand how the name ‘Katrina’ came to refer to the ‘Raffy’, and I’ve gotta say, it’s the WRONG NAME for the Dassault Rafale.

In my experience and in common parlance here in North America certainly; the name ‘Katrina’ will forever refer to a hurricane that hit New Orleans and badly raked the neighbouring gulf state of Mississippi. The mere mention of the single word is used to encompass an incredibly complicated, ugly and drawn-out human tragedy visited upon the downtrodden in the American south. I lived down there for a brief time (which I enjoyed very much), and had a whole bunch of stuff in storage in Mississippi during Katrina. I know a few of those folks, and they were very nice to me. So, when I hear ‘Katrina’, the first association in my North American frame-of-reference is a hurricane that killed a couple of thousand mostly poor, black Americans. This is a most unfortunate mental association, but it is there.

For the record, IMHO, the American city (that I’ve visited) that has the most vibrant local/indigenous music scene (bluegrass, jazz, big band, blues, and all sorts of awesome-sounding, soulful, real, genuine, beautifully-human and absolutely FANTASTIC music); the city with the most fabulous local cuisine (spicy Cajun and Creole foods are by faaaaaar the best ‘traditional’ cuisines of America); that fabulous and GREAT American City is none other than ‘NOLA’ (New Orleans, Louisiana); a city unlike any other in the whole world. On a gut level; on an emotional level; for these reasons; I don’t like to see the name ‘Katrina’ bestowed upon an Indian warplane.

Secondarily, the name ‘Katrina’ is a derivative of ‘Katherine’ or ‘Catherine’ and has Greek origins as in ‘Αικατερίνη (Aikaterinẽ) of Alexandria’. The name Cathy, Kathy, and all the way to the diminuitives like Cate, or Kat or in a place like Russia, something like ‘Katya’ or even ‘Katyusha’; these are all references back to that pedigree. On a practical level, this is another reason why I don’t like the name ‘Katrina’ for the Raffy. It’s ethno-linguistically incorrect!

If you visit here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_ ... 9#Variants you will see that ‘Katrina’ has origins or usage that encompass Dutch, English, German, Swedish, Latvian, Gaelic and/or Scandanavian ethno-linguistic groups. Since it is a French plane, perhaps it would be more fitting to find a French name for her? Something along the lines of ‘Caterine’ which sounds like the current name – except it actually sounds French. Other potential French names include ‘Carine’, ‘Cateline’, ‘Catherine’, ‘Karine’ and the diminutive ‘Trinette’. This last one has a certain appeal, linguistically speaking, because the name ‘Trinette’ conjures a ‘trident’, the three-pronged fork wielded by Neptune, God of the Seas, which is perhaps appropriate for a naval aircraft like the Rafale. Linguistically speaking, any of these French names would be more suitable than ‘Katrina’.

What I’d really like to know, is Why is there no Indian name given for this soon-to-be-inducted Indian warplane?
Sticking-with the ‘K’ sound, would it be wholly inappropriate to give the name ‘Kali’?

(Please Rakshaks; Seriously consider ‘Kali’, the graphics are phenomenal! Otherwise, suggest an Indian name, probably a female one, because as everyone knows, in nature, the embodiment of ferocity is a mother defending her young. I think that hits the right tone. By contrast, the names "Katrina" or "Katherine" are meant to embody 'purity', a much over-hyped attribute of virginal sorts of women -- no fun at a party! Moreover, that 'purity' thing is better left to those 'Purelanders', IMVHO.)

THEREFORE, I’d like to take this opportunity to propose remedying two wrongs at the same time, according to the following procedure.

In anticipation of the signing of the deal for the Dassault Rafale, I suggest people post new suggestions for names here in this thread, and the ones that gain currency can eventually be summarized in a poll and Rakshaks can all vote. If a Rakshak wants to explain why ‘Katrina’ is a really good name, then that’s going to be a better post than practically anything emanating from certain aforementioned ‘members’. At least this would give us something partially tolerable in the way of inane forum postings and counter-postings. It'll be good for our blood pressure too!

In the interim, I have the distinct impression that news-wise, things are going to be quite sparse until there’s Indian ink on French paper. We’ve gotta fill that vacuum with something, or otherwise it’s going to get filled with stinky hot air wafting-up from parts unknown!