Re: Indian Missiles News & Discussions - 17 Dec 2018

Post by abhik »

^^^
Any background on what this is? TIA.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Is it like the CBU-97 munition? A missile, guided by INS/GPS, arrives at a target area and releases a bunch of these 10 Kg submunitions, each of which is independently guided via an IR sensor. Anti armor/soft-vehicles.

I think Dr. Satheesh Reddy once talked about a weapon like this
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

abhik wrote:^^^
Any background on what this is? TIA.
Multiple of these would be released by a conventional missile, say 6-10 by a prithvi, to take out multiple targets.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

If its a 10 Kg warhead, probably 40 - 50 of these could be carried by a Prithvi class missile. More than the weight, I guess the available space & form factor will be the constraint
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Prem Kumar wrote:If its a 10 Kg warhead, probably 40 - 50 of these could be carried by a Prithvi class missile. More than the weight, I guess the available space & form factor will be the constraint
From the internet, 2018:
Missile Launched Precision Guided Munition(MLPGM) using IIR and MMW seekers developed for Nag Program. The name MLPGM is given because it can be fitted inside a tactical ballistic missile and release it from a favorable altitude. Multiple nos of it can be fitted inside a mother ballistic missile as payload and released during pre terminal stages, then the multiple MLPGM will independently seek, acquire, pursue and home on the targets. The mmw based PGM is already in testing and can be launched from UAVs.

The warhead pic:

https://drdo.gov.in/sites/default/files ... 18_web.pdf
Last edited by NRao on 04 Jan 2020 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Prem Kumar wrote:If its a 10 Kg warhead, probably 40 - 50 of these could be carried by a Prithvi class missile. More than the weight, I guess the available space & form factor will be the constraint
The warhead would be 10 KG, the PGM is dimensionally similar to NAG/SANT. Which means around 35-40 kg. Also volumetric concerns means not too many can be carried.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
Someone has changed the label :wink:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Not too sure, but, I think they both are the same missile. When used as a dedicated anti-tank, it is called SANT and while used as - as best as I can describe it - clustered anti-tank/whatever, they are called MLPGM.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Both MLPGM & SANT uses mmW seeker in single mode or when employs dual mode will retain mmW seeker.

SANT launched from aircraft; MLPGM from Tactical Ballistic Missile like Prithvi. So both are air-lauched.

While it may appear as very new, it goes far back to period when Prithvi missile was operationalized or even further back.

It could be said that, DRDO developed SAAW missile & GBU- SDB bomb are its cousins.

But the close match is the Brimstone missile when operates in mmW seeker mode can scan & pick targets on its own. It is particularly meant for against mass tank/armour formations.
Tank operates in formation employing many units. Ability & success of Brimstone to take out such *manoeuvring* mass formation of tanks/armoured vehicles like the one we witnessed in WWII, led them to deploy against mass swarm boat attacks.

Perhaps we can expect that MLPGM, when multiple units of which are released from Prithvi like TBM, exhibit such characteristics of tackling mass formations.

Compared to anti-tank Cluster bombs like CBU-105 that we procured which is also meant for mass armoured thrust, MLPGM like PGM will be far more effective in target discrimination & destruction & will be more suitable in neutralizing manoeuvring mass attacks compared to CBU-105 type cluster bombs.

So design-wise, MLPGM & SANT are twin brothers. They may differ in certain aspects & weight. MLPGM may be lighter, just my thought.

Video & discission on Brimstone & SANT from previous page:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7675&start=1560
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Having a ballistic missile/rocket based warheads have the twin advantage of:

(1) Carrying more warheads to defeat massed attacks
(2) Using our rocket artillery as a way of stopping armored thrusts
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Prithvi warhead option

Although the MLPGM, a full missile in its own right, will be the first to be put into another missile warhead. Typically, they are much simpler submunition type.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

If it can target Armour if released from a Prithvi it can target secondary non bomb proof shelters based stuff PA artillery bases and PAF airbases. For example fuel storages , auxiliary vehicles, weapons storage, radar masts , ATC control room, communication antennas , SAM vehicles, Zsu Vehicles etc.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

nam wrote::D You have to give it to the youtube boys.

The page on DRDO must have been created months back. As soon as someone notices it, it gets put on twitter, then on to defence forums.

And voila, next is youtube video on "Everything about XRSAM"

All of these based on one section of DRDO, with a really bad screenshot image :rotfl:
http://www.deagel.com/library1/small/20 ... 200047.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 19_077.jpg

The Barak 8 ER has been in existence since 2009. The Israelis needed someone to fund the completion of the development.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Yeap Israeli navy has no need for ER and ER has ABM capabilities. To early to determine its full capabilities but it could be on par or better than Aster 30 blk 2.
Raghunathgb
BRFite

Post by Raghunathgb »

John wrote:Yeap Israeli navy has no need for ER and ER has ABM capabilities. To early to determine its full capabilities but it could be on par or better than Aster 30 blk 2.
Why would DRDO fund Barack er when xrsam is in advance stage
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Raghunathgb wrote:
John wrote:Yeap Israeli navy has no need for ER and ER has ABM capabilities. To early to determine its full capabilities but it could be on par or better than Aster 30 blk 2.
Why would DRDO fund Barack er when xrsam is in advance stage
Not sure if XR SAM is based on Barak 8 ER, first stage looks like Barak 8. We might be continuing its development. Still too early to tell.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Looks like NOTAM issued between 19-21 Jan for 1700 - 3500 Kms. K4?

https://twitter.com/detresfa_/status/12 ... 8273473536
Raghunathgb
BRFite

Post by Raghunathgb »

John wrote:
Raghunathgb wrote: Why would DRDO fund Barack er when xrsam is in advance stage
Not sure if XR SAM is based on Barak 8 ER, first stage looks like Barak 8. We might be continuing its development. Still too early to tell.
Design influence may be there but definatly not a barak 8 with boosters on.The close coupled jet vanes and fins has been influenced by AAD missile which would mean it's altogether a different missile.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Raghunathgb wrote:
John wrote: Not sure if XR SAM is based on Barak 8 ER, first stage looks like Barak 8. We might be continuing its development. Still too early to tell.
Design influence may be there but definatly not a barak 8 with boosters on.The close coupled jet vanes and fins has been influenced by AAD missile which would mean it's altogether a different missile.
It doesn't make sense to fit in a booster to extend range if the first stage is entirely new missile. Anyway we will see when details emerge.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I have a question. I see the booster on XRSAM and Barak ER. Wouldn't that make the launch tubes wider? Is it not better to design the missile and the booster of the same diameter, with the missile being sightly shorter and wider than current and the booster being taller and slimmer than current?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

This is my guess: Barak8 is almost the same weight as a BVR, yet is able to reach close to 100KM launched from ground. It is actually a fabulous design.

I feel the reason it is slim and longer is it provide a longer burn time of the propellant, compared to a bit larger diameter missile. Given the weight management done, it does not require large thrust motor. This has allowed them to fast launch speed and longer flight duration.

If the diameter is increased, thereby increasing weight, the thrust may not be sufficient when fired from the ground. You may also need a heavier booster, because of the weight increase.

On the other side, in the [proposed design the booster needs to propel a weight optimized, slim Barak8. The light weight also allows longer coasting phase. The launcher may increase in size, but you extract that phenomenal range out a low weight missile.

I am still not able to believe that such a slim missile with a booster can have a range of 250KM! Looks at Chinese & Russian long range missile. It is fat as hell! They must be getting their range, by flying very high and then coasting.

Barak does not need to fly that high.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Slim or fat has nothing to do with it. Missiles are designed with a desired target, performance, warhead, and cannister/launcher constraints in mind. A larger diameter missile is at an advantage when targeting at very long ranges because of the seeker diameter since it is expected that eventually it would be used for OTH targeting. But there are certainly way to boost up a slimmer missile for medium to long range attack depending upon the target. Lofted profile is one obvious one which is a given for most extended range shots for aero targets. Against targets where you need a PIP..you extend performance and even range by investing in better seekers and better discrimination - that way you can get a range and performance increase without any changes to the kinematics of the interceptor.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Another demonstration of SAM working in the real world, for those who are having wet dreams of having layered/interlocking air defence consisting of S-400, Akash, Barak-8, QRSAM, NASAM etc (because apparently it will make the enemy’s life difficult).
viewtopic.php?p=2405806#p2405806
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Indranil wrote:I have a question. I see the booster on XRSAM and Barak ER. Wouldn't that make the launch tubes wider? Is it not better to design the missile and the booster of the same diameter, with the missile being sightly shorter and wider than current and the booster being taller and slimmer than current?

Maybe the fat booster is a quick development of the XRSAM.
The final version will be like you say.
The fat booster is to get the missile up to altitude quickly.
Once the system is proven they might revert.
The fat booster looks like K15 or Shourya half stage.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

The second stage may also have to coast for large distances (over 200+ km?) at max ranges, it needs to be as aerodynamic. Also a lot of the 2-stage SAMs that are actually in service have the second stage derived from a shorter range design.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Quite right
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Indranil wrote:I have a question. I see the booster on XRSAM and Barak ER. Wouldn't that make the launch tubes wider? Is it not better to design the missile and the booster of the same diameter, with the missile being sightly shorter and wider than current and the booster being taller and slimmer than current?
When karanM showed me that picture like couple of months ago maybe, for the first time, I had exact same thought - the booster is too fat for the missile. I can't think of which requirement is driving that diameter. May be they want to use the existing B8 missile as it is. Maybe there is some restriction on the total length which forces the designer to pack the required amount of solid fuel in the larger dia booster. Just guessing. Making thicker canisters would be much more cost effective than designing all new missile.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

And maybe the booster module is available?
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

IMO Barak 8 ER and XR SAM are different missiles however both use Barak 8 and have different booster to meet their specs. ER could be adopted by navy and latter by AF but both using same Barak 8 launch platforms.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

XRSAM seems to be Barak8/LRSAM with our booster. It seem to have the thrust divert-er like the one we see on AAD. It is fine to use Barak8, as we can put place a 250KM version on our P15A/B.

However i will be very interested to know how they will manage to get 250KM with such a simple set up. May be the 2nd stage on XRSAM is a bigger/taller version of LRSAM.

The difference with russian/chinese long range, is that our design seem to be created to allow us carry lot more rounds.

Whatever be the case, i want DRDO to start testing it soon. If using LRSAM with a booster reduces time, so be it..
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

K4 Test on 20.01.2020 morning off the Visakhapatnam Cost.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Fast implementation using existing building blocks I understand. That Barak8 is slimmer hence less drag, that part I don't understand. Assuming a pencil thin missile has the lowest L/D (because the missile has a significant coasting phase) is not true, especially for the slenderness ratio that we are speaking of.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

ramana wrote: The fat booster looks like K15 or Shourya half stage.
It is definitely not from K15 or Shaurya. Actually, the booster is new which is frankly not a big deal for DRDO now. They built a booster for VLAstra and another for SFDR and did not even talk about it. They have passed that hump.

I think what they are reusing is the TVC control of AAD/Ashwin. So the booster body could also be a truncated AAD. But the fins on the body of the booster are different from the AAD (it has to be).
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

dinesha wrote:K4 Test on 20.01.2020 morning off the Visakhapatnam Cost.
Wonder if its an operation test from the new boat?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Indranil wrote:I think what they are reusing is the TVC control of AAD/Ashwin. So the booster body could also be a truncated AAD. But the fins on the body of the booster are different from the AAD (it has to be).
Since the time when VLR-SAM was announced 5 years back, the rumour has been that it was a spinoff from AAD.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Raghunathgb wrote:Design influence may be there but definatly not a barak 8 with boosters on.The close coupled jet vanes and fins has been influenced by AAD missile which would mean it's altogether a different missile.
AAD is sub optimal for Anti Aircraft role. It is skid to turn optimized for missile interception whereas Barak 8 has bank to turn optimized for aircraft interception. The graphic released by DRDO seems to be a Barak-8ER
For the Barak, different launch tubes are required.

Typically adding a booster saves development time and effort for a new missile. The Aster 30 adds a booster to the Aster 15. The SM-2 Block 4, SM-3 and SM-6 all have oversized boosters.

Why redesign a new missile when adding a booster adds the incremental range to an already qualified missile.
Last edited by tsarkar on 09 Jan 2020 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Its not a Barak-ER, well not the Barak-ER displayed by IAI anyhow. Our model is a more fleshed out one, with TVC vanes and several control surfaces beyond what the IAI models showed.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

ramana wrote:
dinesha wrote:K4 Test on 20.01.2020 morning off the Visakhapatnam Cost.
Wonder if its an operation test from the new boat?

Period: 2020-01-19T06:30:00.000Z - 2020-01-21T10:30:00.000Z

click image to enlarge..
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

https://youtu.be/WMKGNKfrpmQ

Print is reporting that domestic ABM is ready for deployment. Govt sanction required.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Why there is no news on Nirbhay? We have no testing etc for a long long time.