PAK-FA Thread - First flight

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Re: PAK-FA Thread - First flight

Post by Cain Marko »

negi wrote: GD regarding saw toothed panels if you noticed in one of the pics/videos the panel/panels covering the retractable IFR probe on PAKFA do have those sawtooth edges , they might have only incorporated the above into those panels which would be exposed while flying over hostile territory hence we don't see those on the panels which constitute the landing gear cover . We are yet to come across pics showing the internal weapons bay so can't comment on it.
Sawtooth panels are not a novelty with newer russki birds, take a look at the MiG-29K radome :wink:

CM
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

It will be interesting to see which gets inducted first - Naval LCA or FGFA.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

I say we close the dog and pony show that is the MRCA contract. Since we are gonna get the big daddy of all fighters, I would rather conserve my scarce rupees for the Pak fa contract.

Drop the MRCA tamasha
Sign an agreement with Irkut to double up the production rate of Sukhois, raise the total to 300 + to cover up the shortfall of squadrons
Split the fund saved from MRCA idiocy between upgradation of Mirage 2000, Mig-29s, Jaguars and Mig 27s
Kick HAL in the nuts and get LCA ver1.0 flying ASAP.
Invest in building infra to handle Pakfa baby asap.

I dont see any reason why we have to reward Unkil-pimp for not keeping the wh0re on a tight leash. It is time to bitch slap all the gora-cretins and shove their useless fighters up the hole where the sun dont shine, as the big pappy bear is finally awake yo.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Placement of engines relative to nozzles, indicating S-ducts:

Good enhancement of underside showing
(a) Flanker style air dams on the intakes.
(b) simple MLG system compared to flanker variants
(c) '"bulky" actuator covers like our Tejas.
(d) possible meshed skin for air cooling
(e) most important it also clears that there are no weapon stores on the wings, except for the housing near the intakes, which imho are too small to hold a missile.

Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

A question to experts. Can we send this baby across the LOC to pull off stunts a la MIG-25 ? What are the chances that Pukes can actually handle getting groped and manhandled during piss-time ?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Current known info:

Su-50 max speed 1300 mph, ceiling 65,000 ft
Mig-25 max speed 2100 mph, ceiling 80,000 ft
F-16 max speed 1500 mph, ceiling 60,000 ft
F-22 max speed 1500 mph, ceiling 65,000 ft
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

Nayak wrote:I say we close the dog and pony show that is the MRCA contract. Since we are gonna get the big daddy of all fighters, I would rather conserve my scarce rupees for the Pak fa contract.

Drop the MRCA tamasha
Sign an agreement with Irkut to double up the production rate of Sukhois, raise the total to 300 + to cover up the shortfall of squadrons
Split the fund saved from MRCA idiocy between upgradation of Mirage 2000, Mig-29s, Jaguars and Mig 27s
Kick HAL in the nuts and get LCA ver1.0 flying ASAP.
Invest in building infra to handle Pakfa baby asap.

I dont see any reason why we have to reward Unkil-pimp for not keeping the wh0re on a tight leash. It is time to bitch slap all the gora-cretins and shove their useless fighters up the hole where the sun dont shine, as the big pappy bear is finally awake yo.
This is what is supposed to be done in national interest, but what actually happens will be different,
we may get pakfa before Ruaf or its delivery might be overly delayed due to the sabotaging attitude of the Indian babudom ?? ..........
sumshyam
BRFite

Post by sumshyam »

Mort Walker wrote:Current known info:

Su-50 max speed 1300 mph, ceiling 65,000 ft

F-22 max speed 1500 mph, ceiling 65,000 ft
Wiki has another story to say...!
F22 Maximum speed:

* At altitude: Mach 2.25 (1,500 mph, 2,410 km/h
* Supercruise: Mach 1.82 (1,220 mph, 1,963 km/h)

PAK FA
# Maximum speed: 2,600 km/h (at 17,000 m altitude) (1,315 mph (at 45,000 ft altitude))
# Cruise speed: 1,300 - 1,800 km/h (808 - 1,118 mph)
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

negi wrote:We are yet to come across pics showing the internal weapons bay so can't comment on it.
This is a scaled picture of PAKFA in comparison with YF-23, F-22 and JSF. Can see two internal bays with width more than 1 m and as 5.5 m long each. The question is: whether air modified Brahmos (shortened by rocket accelerator) can be placed there? Need help.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Igorr wrote:
negi wrote:We are yet to come across pics showing the internal weapons bay so can't comment on it.
This is a scaled picture of PAKFA in comparison with YF-23, F-22 and JSF. Can see two internal bays with width more than 1 m and as 5.5 m long each. The question is: whether air modified Brahmos (shortened by rocket accelerator) can be placed there? Need help.

T-50: A Preliminary Analysis
With separated engines and a wide body, the T-50 designers have been able to install dual front and rear weapon bays. Added to this are side bays outboard of the engines. Flateric reports that each bay is designed to hold "at least two" missiles and that the outer bays are designed for short-range AAMs. The centerline bays could each hold two large weapons (like R-33s) or three-to-four of the newly announced RVV-MD. The latter has folding wings, as does the RVV-SD development of the R-73 (AA-11 Archer) family - the latter explaining why the underwing bays are small.
Judging by the size of the two central bays on T-50, IMO it would be hard to fit "big-sized" missiles inside like the Brahmos. The length of each of the central bays seem to be slighter longer than the length of the JSF bomb bays. (JSF bomb bays are slighter longer than the F-22's central bomb bays).

The under wing "pod" like structure are most likely AAM weapon bays. Each of these pods are big enough to fit 1 AAM (with foldable fins).
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

srai wrote: Flateric reports that each bay is designed to hold "at least two" missiles and that the outer bays are designed for short-range AAMs. The centerline bays could each hold two large weapons (like R-33s) or three-to-four of the newly announced RVV-MD. The latter has folding wings, as does the RVV-SD development of the R-73 (AA-11 Archer) family - the latter explaining why the underwing bays are small.
- If judging by the space dimention, the 1st centerline bay could take missiles in two floors, then 2+3 missiles of medium\short range.
The under wing "pod" like structure are most likely AAM weapon bays. Each of these pods are big enough to fit 1 to 2 AAMs (with foldable fins).

- It can be a combination of an internal bay for short range AAMs or alternatively an external hardpoint for a bigger missile or pod in non-stealth variant of mission.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

negi wrote:Austin your assessment is wrong the only reason why RU might not have opted for emphasis on stealth like the US is because of the costs and may be even the lack of expertise and experience with building such airframes given the time frame for the PAKFA , the very fact that Russians have incorporated substantial RCS reducing features into PAKFA airframe is an indicator of the importance of having lower RCS . I am pretty sure next AC from RU stable would be better than the PAKFA in every aspect including RCS reduction however at the end of the day all is governed by the state of the art of the technology which Russians posses in order to achieve a 'practical' low RCS design which can be operated by its armed forces within their budget.
Negi Saar......
Partly True , first and foremost the Soviets never believed there is any thing like Stealth and even now they still say the same , In a question to RuAF chief recently if PAK-DA will be completely stealth , he mentioned it is impossible to make aircraft which is completely stealth or invisible.

They still believe that a combination of Metric/Decametric/Bistatic radar can nullify the stealth advantage and a combination of IADS and S-300/400 SAM is good enough to deal with it , that is the key reason why Soviets and Later Russians invested heavily in building new types of mobile metric/bistatic radar and new SAM all integrated in to tightly knit IADS , if stealth was such a threat and we know that F-117 and B-2 has been flying since 80's they would have just invested all the money in building one and even after breakup they would have pursued with all the money they had instead of building new types of radar or LR SAM.

All this talk of 0.0001 ,0.001 RCS of golf or tennis ball is ball talk and smart marketing by Pentagon/LM/NG , the practical stealth is far lower and one is always affected by the things like different frequency , bands, Angle of RF

Saying that I should add here that low RCS ( not the marketing golf ball BS figures ) do help in bringing some advantage on the table along with basic fundamental qualities of the aircraft , sensor fusion and weapons to match , only stealth in itself does not mean much or is any tilting advantage.

You quoting B-2 being accompanied by EW AC proves nothing , its a million dollar machine the decision to go all alone or accompanied by EW aircraft is a mission specific call , taken by the people in know . Stealth is important for it forces the enemy to have a re look at its ADS with AC like F-22 and PAKFA taking to the skies a plethora of small SAMs and old old generation air defense systems will now be relooked at by the either sides this is a cat and mouse game so the need to field AC with lower RCS and more powerful ADS systems will always exist. And both Americans and Russians are investing in both the areas its just that America has surplus funds .
B-2 not going alone for the mission deep inside Yugoslavian Airspace speaks a lot infact about USAF dilemma and hesitation to send that $2 billion bird alone.

As i mentioned previously that Pentagon suspected that Russia has secretly shipped in older S-300 SAM and Pentagon was not sure how to deal with it and if indeed B-2 can get in and get out without getting detected or hit , so they sent in fleet of jammers to aid in B-2 attack mission.

Remember B-2 as promoted by pentagon during Cold War was an aircraft which has all aspect stealth , was designed to penetrate alone and deep into dense Soviet airspace ( which has all kinds of radar and SAM ) for any strike mission and had all the survivable characteristic to do so and could hunt mobile ICBM.

Well the USAF was not confident enough to penetrate Yugoslavian airspace with B-2 alone , this is after all that cruise missile attack and degradation of AD of the enemy , so much for a $2Billion dollar super stealth subsonic aircraft.
The incident involving F-117 again only goes to prove that it takes a lot of coordinated effort in terms of early warning , prior info on the waypoints/routes which AC is likely to take and finally a well timed interception to actually down an AC with low RCS. F-117s flew multiple missions over Kosovo and one cannot rule out the fact that air defenses in and around Belgrade had a fair idea about the route AC was supposed to take in for its bombing runs one also cannot rule out a hint of over confidence as far as USAF is concerned given the success of its prior bombing runs .
Well true it also proves that with the smart use of mobile SAM , 1st gen Metric Radar and smart tactics one can bring down stealth inspite of all the overwhelming Air Superiority that NATO established and aircraft equipped with HARM were flying around ready to pin down any SAM radar.

Yes stealth comes at a cost but then for those who can afford it it is an acceptable cost
For all the wars we have seen , practically speaking stealth piddly did any thing to win a war most of the mission were by 4th gen aircraft and cruise missile doing the task with overwhelming air superiority against the enemy , which practically proves the point there is no use in investing huge money on a silver bullet , what one needs is all round practical and cost effective performer with low RCS being one of the many feature needed.

Probaby that is the reason why Pentagon is keen to build F-35 in big numbers and not a silver bullet whose advantage and superiority is questionable as best.
Desislava Stefanova
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Desislava Stefanova »

just for RCS comparison, like that this F-22 is a quite nice Big Beautiful Woman (as American Dream :D ) compare to quite petit PAK FA :rotfl:
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

Xyxp Haxp wrote:Image

just for RCS comparison, like that this F-22 is a quite nice Big Beautiful Woman (as American Dream :D ) compare to quite petit PAK FA :rotfl:

Dude, I fail to see the point of your post. Just putting some pictures side by side doesn't really tell anything. You could for example put a picture of the grand canyon alongside a bathtub and they would occupy the same space on your screen.
Desislava Stefanova
BRFite -Trainee

bart wrote:
Xyxp Haxp wrote:

Dude, I fail to see the point of your post. Just putting some pictures side by side doesn't really tell anything. You could for example put a picture of the grand canyon alongside a bathtub and they would occupy the same space on your screen.

Dear Sir, You know something about the reflection of radio waves? I think everyone here is enough educated people about the school physics course, and if anyone who did not study at the university for technical education (including a detailed study of the physics of waves) - in Internet is enough material on these subjects that would make a short course in self-education.

To clarify my point of view, let me draw Your attention to the square of the vertical tail (and near cocpit area + probably intakes square also) and the total area in profile of these planes - this is quite enough to understand that as least a lateral surface of F-22 has a large reflective than the PAK FA
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

Ok, you should probably have mentioned all that in your first post since it simply seemed to suggest that you were comparing the sizes from the pictures.

Anyways, I don't really think we can deduce accurately from pictures about the radar reflecting capabilities especially when comparing two aircraft that are known to be designed for stealth. A general idea, yes, but not an absolutely accurate comparison.
Desislava Stefanova
BRFite -Trainee

bart wrote:Ok, you should probably have mentioned all that in your first post since it simply seemed to suggest that you were comparing the sizes from the pictures.

Anyways, I don't really think we can deduce accurately from pictures about the radar reflecting capabilities especially when comparing two aircraft that are known to be designed for stealth. A general idea, yes, but not an absolutely accurate comparison.
You're right, but coz these planes are on the front edge of Arms/Defense thought and their high importance for United States and Russia, we are still a very long time will not know about the actual characteristics of these products in terms of all characteristics of stealth, but this basic unit - the area of reflection of a plane / under some angle is only known, and this is the only that can be discussed with a high degree of reliability (excluding PR and advertising).

Moreover, given the fact that the practice (not only U.S. but also and in earlier developments made in the USSR) showed the relative mechanical fragility of additional decisions of stealth (I mean the cover) I think that in reality, is about of 80% of the effective by stealth - is directly depends of square by the reflection areas.
Last edited by Gerard on 31 Jan 2010 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: username changed to conform with forum guidelines. Please contact moderators with username of your choice if assigned name is not to your liking
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

CNN's take...http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01 ... h.fighter/

It seems a lot of work to do, so India will continue to play a role, secondly there might also be a little envy on the part of the non-Russkies
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

bart wrote:
Xyxp Haxp wrote:Image

Ah :mrgreen: why do you need all those complex formula s for comparing RCS :D lol
jaladipc
BRFite

Post by jaladipc »

hehehe
Most notable difference between F-22 and PAK-FA/FGFA is that the later is an all weather day-night capable while the former is not.
The F-22 squad lead has to look at time,week,day/night,rainy/sunny/snowy/........... to give a take off signal :P
Peter Teschner
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Peter Teschner »

shiv wrote:Well the funny thing is a long time ago my late cousin Wing Co Suresh was describing meeting a Russian designer from the Sukhoi bureau and said that when talk came to technology and transfer of technology he said "What is technology? I am technology", patting himself on the chest. I am reminded of a friend of mine who would enter the kitchen and quickly whip up a delicious something from whatever there was in the kitchen.

The Russians have used all the design experience they have to quickly whip up what appears to be a beauty. This comes from IMO a long tradition of
1) Setting up design bureaus where people can think and experiment
2) Not being afraid of trying new things
3) Not being afraid of failure
4) And a very very Russian version of "Jugaad" that corporate India wants to claim as an original Indian thing - but I would like to see it applied to tech in India.

"Oooh! Aaah! Wow!" are the sorts of reactions that we are seeing now - but I recall that these were exactly the reactions that we saw when the MiG-25 appeared about 30 years ago, the MiG-29 20 years ago and the Su 30 a decade ago.
Are you can't win on those machines? You made it in last war with Pakistan! You win at F-15, F16 and F-22 some years ago at India and at Nevada! Is it not enought?
Last edited by Gerard on 01 Feb 2010 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: username changed to conform with forum guidelines. Please contact moderators with username of your choice if assigned name is not to your liking
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

NightWanderer wrote: Are you can't win on those machines? You made it in last war with Pakistan! You win at F-15, F16 and F-22 some years ago at India and at Nevada! Is it not enought?
No No - I think you misunderstand. I was only pointing out that the Russian design bureaus have been producing original beauties for decades..
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Are you can't win on those machines? You made it in last war with Pakistan! You win at F-15, F16 and F-22 some years ago at India and at Nevada! Is it not enought?
Sorry but what are you suggesting?

Couldnt get the drift of the post!!! :-?

Edited: Never mind, subsequent posts cleared the air.
Last edited by sum on 31 Jan 2010 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Teschner
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Peter Teschner »

shiv wrote:
NightWanderer wrote: Are you can't win on those machines? You made it in last war with Pakistan! You win at F-15, F16 and F-22 some years ago at India and at Nevada! Is it not enought?
No No - I think you misunderstand. I was only pointing out that the Russian design bureaus have been producing original beauties for decades..
Yes! In this case you right! And, I see that the IAF will have very nice and interesting machine, as soon! :D
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

The raptor intakes a little Y ish, (or S) considering the engines are placed very near to each other and the inlets are spread apart. The same can't be said about pak-fa.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 0s-015.jpg

--

but, pak-fa is enough to trash mrca with +$20M, and you get what you need for 2015 schedule.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
S shaped inlet is not such a super tech. Even F-16 has s-shaped air duct. Eurofighter has double s-shaped air ducts. So rest assured that s-shaped air duct is not such an exclusive tech that Russians cannot use it in pak-fa.
Tejas also has y-shaped air duct.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

not a tech context, but I was speaking on RCS reduction context, especially reflected beam from turbine blades. the coatings can't be applied for every other sortie, since RAM would be very expensive, and would radiate off at high temp.

ignore this, if the russians have placed inline deflectors. only a direct pic inside these inlets can tell us more.
Peter Teschner
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Peter Teschner »

Gaur wrote:^^
S shaped inlet is not such a super tech. Even F-16 has s-shaped air duct. Eurofighter has double s-shaped air ducts. So rest assured that s-shaped air duct is not such an exclusive tech that Russians cannot use it in pak-fa.
Tejas also has y-shaped air duct.
Yes! And Serbians wrote: Sorry, but we don't know that it was invisible!" - about f-117 :D
krish.pf
BRFite

Post by krish.pf »

Frontal stealth characteristics looks awesome, maybe even less than Raptor. But I really hope they have shielded the turbine blades from direct exposure... Those things are one of the biggest RCS contributors, maybe even THE biggest. The bottom needs a little work as well. I hope these things get sorted out on the next prototype.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

we shouldn't be comparing against retired a/cs. No use.
Peter Teschner
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Peter Teschner »

krish.pf wrote:Frontal stealth characteristics looks awesome, maybe even less than Raptor. But I really hope they have shielded the turbine blades from direct exposure... Those things are one of the biggest RCS contributors, maybe even THE biggest. The bottom needs a little work as well. I hope these things get sorted out on the next prototype.
Today real characteristic of RCS of T-50 don't know nobody. See later!
As I can see air channels have double S: horizontal and vertical. I think that turbine blades are hidden.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

which pic?
jaladipc
BRFite

Post by jaladipc »

I have a question..

How good are those weapon bay doors in terms of taking care of RCS and drag?

My chotee mind says,a sliding doors concept(sliding inside) fare much better.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

how about a 180* flip door exposing the missiles? :wink:

flip-fire-flip
--

PS: pay royalty to my thought.
Last edited by SaiK on 01 Feb 2010 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
krish.pf
BRFite

Post by krish.pf »

As I can see air channels have double S: horizontal and vertical. I think that turbine blades are hidden.
Really? Well lets hope so. I'd be nice if there is a pic.

I don't care if Pak-FA is less maneuverable then F-22, or has lower thrust to weight ratio, or has a slightly higher wing loading. But I certainly hope that it's frontal RCS is better or equal to F-22(i.e only taking the design of both fighters into consideration & not RAM and other maintenance intensive stuff). I saw Parlay's(spell?) drawings as well as others, and it seems to suggest some portion of the blades will be visible. I certainly hope this is not the case. Even if it is, I hope this is addressed in the next prototype. This jet has so much potential, and I don't wish this major drawback to exist.
I'm no RCS expert but taking only the design into consideration without ram and other stuff... Side aspect looks stealthy enough. Top aspect also looks ok. I think the bottom aspect will be relevant in case of sams/ground radars since they radiate from the ground up.. the plane needs some work there. Rear aspect, I have no comments to put forth.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

:lol: BRFITES and their prediction are always correct... AUSI AIR POWER!
Air Combat:Russia’s PAK-FA versus the F-22 and F-35
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

Comparing this image of pakfa which came 2-3yrs ago with the current model and the required time to make the final product(4-5 yrs), americans have got a plenty of time to raise some standard defences against it, may be they have already started some advanced irst,sensor technology build up on raptor. .
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

^^ Missles, with greater range and faster speed, that's what the Raptor focuses on to knock PAK-FA/FGFA off it's feet...
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

pak-fa should be concentrating on passive scanning/tracking abilities with only based on raptor's (the potential enemy) pulse mode beams., makes it more stealthier for raptor to even detect pak-fa at 100nm.

raptors are good at passive tracking.. the whole game in the stealth future, BVR engagement is passive tracking., and changing game plan based on such results.

if the algorithms sleep for a blip second, then novators gets the go ahead for the kill. the same logic should hold true for novator with a terminal optic/laser homing device (no radar homing for raptors at all)... can't kill a raptor with anything that radiates.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

PAK-FA Brahmos comparision.

I think I got this correct - but please verify.

I have taken the Brahmos length as 6.8 m (As opposed to the full 8.9 m length of the land launched brahmos) Roughly this is what I get when superimposed on the PAK FA

It doesn't appear that the BRAHMOS will fit in the weapons bay in the current configuration.
How big is the 400Km Novator ALCM?

So again we come back to that same old story. India needs to have a suitable ALCM version of the Nirbhay or the Brahmos to equip this beauty. These missiles can't be constrained by MTCR ranges if developed inhouse.