The Cricket World Cup Thread

Dmurphy
BRFite

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Dmurphy »

krishnan wrote:Nothing would beat a Ind-Pak final. All would be happy, ICC, bookies , etc
That ain't happening. Its either us or them in the finals. But we could face them in Mohali, provided we both clear our respective QF hurdles.
Singha wrote:MSDs stroke making technique and footwork is quite flawed. he flails at balls but instead of smooth clean running drives like SRT/VS/YS, the balls if you notice ends up thudding into the ground nearby, losing most of its energy and not gaining much. he ends up facing the bowler after a wild horizontal bat swipe.
Exactly! This style ensures that the ball does not toss up and offer a lollypop catch. Dravid uses this technique quite extensively in the tests, albeit in a much more stylish and technically sound looking fashion. Hopefully, MSD too goes out of favour in limited overs like RD.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Is it me or the WC theme song "De ghuma ke" sounds way better than whatever Rehman tuned for CWG games ?
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Yes Marten ji, Lee is the biggest threat. He seems to be in ominous form given his display against the true Pawkis on an unresponsive pitch.
We must bat first and put up a very good score because I don't fancy our batting side chasing down a total if we lose a few early wickets.

I hope the pitch is of the same class that was used when we played south africa in a test match in 1996
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

partha wrote:Sumeetji,

When has on field behavior of SS become menace to TI?
My take on that is that we don't get to hear most of the locker room/ team room/ training session stories and who does what in there. We will always base our opinions on what we can see, which might be insufficient.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Looks like SA, Pakis, Australia(white paquis) and SL will have easy Quaterfinals and will make it to the Semi finals.

The White paquis are clear favourities in the QF. Australia have a very good record against India in WC. 1987 lost by 1 run, 1992- lost by 1 run, 1996- lost by 14 runs, 1999 solidly beaten, 2003 solidly thrashed in league stage and final. 2007- we didn't turn up in the Super 8 stage :(( :(( .

Also our batting collapsed against Tait, lee and Johnson in the warm up match, Ponting must be very confident.

I am definately Dhoti SHiovering right now.

Damn why can't India win just 3 more matches in this World Cup.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

archan, doesn't the same logic applies to the lead pack as well? imho, we should still be minority supporting from publeeek stand point of politics. Let us keep the bathroom stories, thappads to SS alive, but at the same time let us not relate them on the field, which matters for the game.

Unfortunately, SS has negatives that we all know. What I am saying is give him better opportunity to correct his mistakes and guide him. Perhaps he may correct. Let the aam publeek agree he has given enough oppty, and it is a general feeling not to spoil him at his peek period.

Politics in sport is not good. Bad behavior is not good either, but for the later, we should have more room in our field. That is how our demi-crazy should be. I think match fine for him, for his bad behavior could be introduced by BCCI. That way it becomes a system correction, with rules like 3 times you are fined, you are out for a series. That will make SS think harder to commit bad behavior.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

If the above is required to rein in a player at national and international level, it speaks very -vely about the character of the player....
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

saik, sree has been playing for India for 6 years. have you noticed 'any' improvement in his on-field behaviour or attitude ? it's not that he hasn't got chances under dhoni, most of his India appearances have been under dhoni. for a long time he had full backing of his team, it was only when it was becoming impossible for any decent person to support his antics that dhoni acknowledged that his behaviour was a problem. (and let's not kid ourselves that it is not, during a tight match as a captain you would rather focus on fielding strategy and bowling changes, rather than babysit a bowler)
let's stop pretending that sree is a school-kid, he is 28 years old, he has been an India player for 6 years and he has had numerous warnings from BCCI, the last one noting that he can kiss his international career goodbye if he has another major disciplinary problem. if anything he has been treated with kid gloves keeping in view his talent, not that there's anything wrong with that.
unfortunately he hasn't taken advantage of people's support and continued on his own way.

I don't see where this politics accusation is coming from.

coming to this WC, media reported that the team management was absolutely pi$$ed off with him after the BD match where he bowled against the captain's instructions and got carted all over the park by a half-ar$ed bangladeshi batting. (RPO 10 !!)
apparently he bowls wherever he wants to and behaves like a prima donna. that's just not done in a team sport. frankly I'm losing hope that he will ever use his immense talent to its full potential. what a fracking waste !

Politics in sport is not good. Bad behavior is not good either, but for the later, we should have more room in our field. That is how our demi-crazy should be. I think match fine for him, for his bad behavior could be introduced by BCCI. That way it becomes a system correction, with rules like 3 times you are fined, you are out for a series. That will make SS think harder to commit bad behavior.
gah ! you are presenting all this as some novel brain wave. :roll: where were you all these years ?
all that has been tried and failed with sree. BCCI has given him warning after warnings, numerous fines from both ICC and BCCI, nothing seems to work with this guy. he has already been given enough rope and all he has done is hang himself.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Well!! cricket or for that matter any sports need

1. ATTITUDE i.e Mental toughness.
2. Ability, athleticism and knowledge of game.

A sound mentally tough person with "bad technique" is any day better than a "technically correct with a no guts". i.e. Sanjay Manjrekar was the most technically correct batsman India produced but he couldn't run. Just like a person who aces all exams but when time comes to "work and earn money" he can't show up to work.

Dhoni has good leadership qualities which "Gavaskar and other players in past didn't had"

We were discussing over the match that Harbhajan finished off Symonds Career with his "maa ki" comment. Symonds though a tough looking guy couldn't stomach that his own board would not back him over the comment. Harbhajan says that he said "Mainu Kee" i.e. "I don't care" in Punjabi. Actually there are only two abuses in Punjabi

1. Sister
2. Mother

with million permutations of these. As long as Dhoni keep scoring around his average his "stroke playing" is good. I am still not sure why "off field" behavior needs to matter?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

For folks praising Ashwin, a newbie question about him and the kirkit involved. His figures read: 10 (overs) 41(runs) 2(wickets) 4.10 (econ. rate). While Bhaaji's econ rate is even better 3.88. Considering WI imploded, except Raina, all bowlers have an impressive econ. rate. So is Ashwin's performance being praised because he bowled in the first mandatory overs? So when there is a talk of him having proved, why do you think he has proved.

Genuine doubt saars, don't go throwing hockey sticks, baseball bats and cricket balls at me.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

okay. let us see.. when tightening of noose happens, we would come out of this gentlemen-shell and say, we should have included him or considered him for just this game, yadi yada..

we need a new J Srinath/Zakh kind of bowler. Unandkat was introduced to harassing Smith & Co. and was done away. we have to rely on sdre spin onlee.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

SwamyG wrote:Some of us oldies might remember what Walsh once did, for people who do not know it is a good opportunity to practice Bing or Google :-).
Stopped delivery and warned batsman to not back up too far (instead of clipping the bails off and running around in celebration)

He would probably be dropped out of the team. He probably would not even make it into the team coming through the system as it is now.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

I don't know why what Walsh did is being praised so much. People taking undue advantage need an ass kicking. Like Kapil did to Kirsten.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^^ it was controversial even then, the packese gave him a gold medal or something. I've seen a number of bowlers do the exact same thing in the last decade before the rule was changed, that didn't get them getting dropped.

saik, what gentleman-shell ? :roll: where did you get the idiotic idea that not playing sree has something to do with ideas of gentlemanliness or something ? just like you don't play an unfit player, in the same way you don't play in-disciplined ones, it's plain common sense in a team sports.

swamy saar, his competition is chawla for the place of the 2nd spinner, not bhaji. that said, he bowled at tougher periods than bhaji yesterday, that too in his first match in WC and was by far our best bowler in the first spell. that counts for a lot.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Joishy: Who knows what ran through his mind at that point in time. But considering the stakes, he displayed something that very few athletes do, hence the praise. So giving him the benefit of doubt, it is remarkable thing to do.

RM: Ok that is in line with my initial assumption.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

swamyg, adding to rahul m, you should be comparing the eco rate of aswin against bhajji's and zaheer's first spells in the powerplay.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

and he can bat
if i see munaf into bat again, i am going to slap him before he takes the crease and take over batting duties myself
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Ah LalProf, blease remember it will be cricket balls homing on your nose and not tamatars chucked by Chubby bulbuls
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Lalmohan wrote:and he can bat
if i see munaf into bat again, i am going to slap him before he takes the crease and take over batting duties myself
So BRF has infiltrated TI onlee. We have Lalmohan as a batsman, and Marten as a bowler. We need a captain and wicketkeeper.

What is the noise about MSD vs Srikkanth meeting? And why does BCCI have to say that meeting did not really take place. In fact I was one of the first in BRF to sense daal mein kooch kaala hain, when MSD said he did not have the best fielders (or bowlers) in the team. He is not happy with what he got from the selectors.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

ayo! I was talking about "us" brite people being gentle and all that onlee!. scroll few pages back, 'll find ton of feelings about missing pranthan in the team onlee.
we would come out of this gentlemen-shell and say,
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Aditya_V wrote:Looks like SA, Pakis, Australia(white paquis) and SL will have easy Quaterfinals and will make it to the Semi finals.

The White paquis are clear favourities in the QF. Australia have a very good record against India in WC. 1987 lost by 1 run, 1992- lost by 1 run, 1996- lost by 14 runs, 1999 solidly beaten, 2003 solidly thrashed in league stage and final. 2007- we didn't turn up in the Super 8 stage :(( :(( .

Also our batting collapsed against Tait, lee and Johnson in the warm up match, Ponting must be very confident.

I am definately Dhoti SHiovering right now.

Damn why can't India win just 3 more matches in this World Cup.
Wrong stats.
I believe in cycles and mean reversion.

The WPs have a 7-2 record against India in WC.

The cycle started in 1983 when the White Packees were thrown out of the WC. Bottomed in 2003.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ew=results
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Can Dhoni drop or rather 'rest' himself from the next match? Just wondering only.

BTW, I hear that the only double ton in ODI history (yeah that classic one by SRT) was scored at Motera. That true? Then, the pitch ain't half as bad against a full-steam seam attack, perhaps.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

^^^ It wasnt motera where sachin score 200

WI will beat pakis, so we will be playing WI again in SF....I am putting my $$ on WI :eek: :eek: :D
Last edited by amdavadi on 22 Mar 2011 04:24, edited 2 times in total.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Hari Seldon wrote:Can Dhoni drop or rather 'rest' himself from the next match? Just wondering only.

BTW, I hear that the only double ton in ODI history (yeah that classic one by SRT) was scored at Motera. That true? Then, the pitch ain't half as bad against a full-steam seam attack, perhaps.
It was scored at Gwalior. What were you doing when God was giving us His ultimate Darshan hain ji? :evil:
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

Hari,

It was gwalior.

Guys any idea of Motera pitch. We should bat first and let Aussies chase. That way we have the best chances of winning.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

amdavadi wrote: WI will beat pakis, ....
Well that's optimistic to say the least.
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

from what i saw yesterday bhajji bowled atleast one doosra. not that i have seen every ball of his in recent times, but i had not seen him bowl one in recent times, including in tests. i assumed he was saving his shoulder. ashwin ofcourse was bowling carrom balls. he even got an lbw off one.

swamy you prolly need to see ashwin bowl and see how he reacts to situations. he is pretty accurate and is mainly focused on setups. but his setups are not apparent.

bhajji, i like his action, in principle he is the type of bowler that will generate those unplayable balls, drift kick and explode upon pitching. but he is more like a 'do until it falls right' type of bowler. if he cannot get it right, he is out.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

SwamyG wrote:For folks praising Ashwin, a newbie question about him and the kirkit involved. His figures read: 10 (overs) 41(runs) 2(wickets) 4.10 (econ. rate). While Bhaaji's econ rate is even better 3.88. Considering WI imploded, except Raina, all bowlers have an impressive econ. rate. So is Ashwin's performance being praised because he bowled in the first mandatory overs? So when there is a talk of him having proved, why do you think he has proved.

Genuine doubt saars, don't go throwing hockey sticks, baseball bats and cricket balls at me.
Yes, he opened the bowling.
Handled the pressure very well.
All of Ashwin's 10 overs were bowled in the Power Plays.[can you imagine dhoni doing that to any other newbie?]
It is hard to sit in the bench (the feel of being benched), and then suddenly put this pressure?

Ashwin can win the world cup for us.. says not me, but SMG.

BTW, we have few big hitters in Oz team as well. Bhojraj and ashwin combo is great!.
Dhoni may be a great manipulator but, he is surely little biased over who serves his CnC chain better. Think him like a CEO.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

SwamyG wrote: why do you think he has proved.
his first 5 overs in batting power play cost TI 15 runs and he claimed a wikit to boot
remember he is a spinner not a quicky that in IHO of all involved separate him from pedestrian
bowlers currently serving TI.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Ganguly sir was claiming Ashwin might again open the bowling against australia.

the dangermen on form basis are haddin and watson. in bowling we need VS and SRT to tackle Lee.

ponting, hussey, white and clarke have not played this WC well. but you never know - out of form batsmen are known to suddenly score 100s against India and get back in shape!
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

I agree singha. Sehwag needs to play sensible cricket and try to bat longer. Same for SRT. They have to provide a solid foundation on which TI needs to build a good total.
Aussies will rely on Sehwag to throw away his wicket by reckless batting.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Sehwag had tried to do that in the initial matches. He is looking to stay there longer and I am sure he would like to do the same against AUS also.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Thanks for all the gyan on Ashwin. So looks like he stays for the QF.

If Sehwag comes in, is Yusuf out? Or is it going to be Raina?
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

^^^I hope yusuf is dropped in favor of Raina this time. It may very well be our last match this WC. So why not take a chance with a good guy who can also contribute with the ball..
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

..and then ToI says that Indian openers need to stay at wicket and not lose early wickets against aussie. Are ToI reporters and we watching the same matches.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

imo against australia I would prefer raina than yusuf. against a spin-heavy attack both can bat the same though arguably yusuf can be more brutal but raina is a more versatile bat with exp in the top order. he is also better fielder. and he gets wkts sometimes while yusuf has not been getting many.

see out the initial josh from lee and tait and be wary against the angled balls of johnson. rest can be managed. tait looked quite flat in the last match as did johnson. plunder runs against their other two bowlers watson and kreyza. and then smack the pacers in the last 15 overs.
Last edited by Singha on 22 Mar 2011 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

A tough tough choice but we dont need two players in gambhir and kohli who do pretty much the same thing. Of course, this also means that we rely on the hitters down the order. We can safely count out msd from that list. He has been as effective as munna with the bat this tournament. So we'd have yuvraj, raina and pathan as our middle order. Satisfactory? I'm not so sure :) Pathan might not be dropped for his bowling mainly.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I think rather than a runfest in spurts we steadily from 1st over need to maintain 6 rpo and grind them down. then unleash hell in a few overs to get 320-330. tire out their boundary fielders which are usually the pacers who do the most work...esp if we bat first.

against Aus/SA has to be a multi pronged attack to shape the battle. need to have precise field placement ready for each and very batsman.

whenever we have tried to unleash hell wkts have fallen in a heap, so this phase must be last 5 overs onlee else we will get bowled out before full 50.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Singha-> easy to plan, difficult to implement. White Pacquis have a knack of picking unnessacary wickets.

Ideally I know its is impossible, I will have White Pacquis bat first, all out for 50-60 runs and we score in 8 overs with a 10 wicket win- But never happens does it.

I cannot remember the Aussie batting collasing cheaply to India in WC match like we did 2003 world cup league match or being 16/4 in 1999.

Definately Dhoti SHivering for this one and Starting anti-Jinx operation.

INDIA WILL LOSE ONREE :mrgreen:
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Last edited by archan on 22 Mar 2011 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: go easy on blind links please, say a few words what it is about.