Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
UBanerjee
BRFite

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by UBanerjee »

So it is becoming BR->Internet->BR :lol:
Bolasani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bolasani »

I was watching an episode of 'Jai Hind with Rocky and Mayur', on Combat Aviation Training School of Indian Army. There they showed a Dhruv simulating landing after the failure of 1 engine. The chopper skid along the ground for quite a few meters on land before coming to stop.

Could anybody please tell me how the loss of an engine translate to skidding on landing?

Thanks & Regards
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Bolasani wrote:I was watching an episode of 'Jai Hind with Rocky and Mayur', on Combat Aviation Training School of Indian Army. There they showed a Dhruv simulating landing after the failure of 1 engine. The chopper skid along the ground for quite a few meters on land before coming to stop.

Could anybody please tell me how the loss of an engine translate to skidding on landing?

Thanks & Regards
I am guessing here.

Rotating blades above the helicopter act like wings in the sense that they provide a lifting force to support the helo in the air in forward flight. Even toy helicopters with no power in the blades can be made to 'glide" like a fixed wing glider for this reason by providing a rotating momentum to the blades. If the helo is not moving forward that lifting force is not present and the helo can only stay in the air (stationary) by providing more power for rotation of blades.

If one engine goes the helo may not have enough power to descend vertically, but it has enough power to rotate the blades and "glide" and descend like an fixed wing aircraft, so it lands like an aircraft needing a runway rather than like a helo landing on a helipad. There is another thing called "ground effect" where the helo is able to hover close to the ground even if it is not able to hover higher up - but the safest way to descend to the "ground effect" altitude may be to "glide down", since a vertical descent with inadequate power may bring the helo down too fast. This is just my guess - not based on any real aeronautical knowledge. Helicopters that cannot hover 50 feet above Siachen may be able to hover 10 feet over Siachen because of "ground effect"

If all power is lost, the blades can be made to go into "autorotation" which will slow the descent of the helo - but it will still be a crash landing, not a landing.
Bolasani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bolasani »

Thanks Shiv,

I will check out what Google Chacha has to offer regarding Helicopter gliding.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Bolasani wrote:Thanks Shiv,

I will check out what Google Chacha has to offer regarding Helicopter gliding.
Actually Wiki aunty has some info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translational_lift
Translational lift (also known as Effective Translational Lift, or ETL) is a transitional state present as a helicopter moves from hover to forward flight. This state provides extra lift, most typically, when the airspeed reaches approximately 16-24 knots, but is present with any horizontal flow of air across the rotor [1], and therefore can be present without any forward motion of the aircraft, given prevailing wind conditions.

The most common example of the effect is this: a helicopter might be slightly overloaded for take off so that it cannot hover. Liftoff can still be achieved if the helicopter has enough of a straight runway to make a "Running take off" where the pilot will slowly accelerate the helicopter across the ground until translational lift speed is achieved, extra rotor-disc lift is produced, and the aircraft will begin to climb.

In Robert Mason’s book[2], Chickenhawk, Mason describes a situation where an aircraft, loaded with 2500 pounds of high explosives, was above gross weight and should have been unable to achieve flight, was actually "coaxed" into flight via the "Running Take Off".
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Could someone please tell me how to post pictures on here?

Thanks much in advance.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
You cannot directly upload pics from your hdd to this forum. You would first have to upload the pics to any free image hosting site (like photobucket). You can then post the link here.

Uploading to photobucket is very easy. You just create a free account there and press the upload button. Then a window will appear and you just select the files you want to upload.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Gaur wrote:^^
You cannot directly upload pics from your hdd to this forum. You would first have to upload the pics to any free image hosting site (like photobucket). You can then post the link here.

Uploading to photobucket is very easy. You just create a free account there and press the upload button. Then a window will appear and you just select the files you want to upload.

Thanks Gaur. I presume that by link the pic will show on here?

Regards,
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

yes. check the first post of misc pictures thread if you have doubts.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Thanks a lot Rahul. Cheers.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

I have a few questions on aerodynamics, and would like to use the LCA as an example:
If the answers to this have been posted before would appreciate someone pointing me to the correct thread.

With the MKII having an uprated engine F414-IN6 and assuming that weight of the Tejas remains constant, will the following happen?

a) get the ability to supercruise?
b) Improved AoA?
c) be able to fy at 1.8 mach or higher?
d) be agile and mre manoueverable in WVR combat.
e) Achieve -3/+9G?

Many thanks. I used to be an aviation enthusiast 40 years back, but then, alas, the burden of work and extensive travelling paid put to that.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
Just a few guesses as I have no expertise in this matter. I hope that the gurus would correct me where I am wrong.

a> Maybe. It surely will have enough thrust to do that. Rest will depend upon the drag. Also, it seems that the wave drag will get reduced in mk2. So who knows? If ADA manages to keep mk2 within designated weight, I see no reason why it should not be able to supercruise.

b> That is given from day 1.

c> No. To go beyond that speed, the aircraft requires variable geometry intake. That leads to lot of moving parts which further leads to increase in complexity, cost, maintenance requirement and rcs. Since the days of high speed interceptors are over, speeds over Mach 1.8 are no longer necessary. What is of more importance is acceleration (and hence thrust).

d> Of course.

e> Once the flight envelope is fully opened, that will be achieved in mk1 itself.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Thanks much Gaur. Cheers.
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

RahulM saar as suggested by you I downloaded that Daniel P raymer's Aircraft design book, but its quite old in my opinion like 1989's edition. Also I am low on time and can afford to read one book only.
So can you or anyone else please suggest a good aircraft designing book(latest preferably :P) asap! Please!!!!
Raghunath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Raghunath »

manish.rastogi wrote:RahulM saar as suggested by you I downloaded that Daniel P raymer's Aircraft design book, but its quite old in my opinion like 1989's edition. Also I am low on time and can afford to read one book only.
So can you or anyone else please suggest a good aircraft designing book(latest preferably :P) asap! Please!!!!
I'm no expert myself, but I found A.C. Kermode's book "Flight Without Formulae" very helpful. Its short, and expounds the basic concepts very nicely.

I think he also has book titled "Flight With Formulae" which I read some years back in college. That was pretty good too, very clearly and logically put.

I'll try getting Daniel P. Raymer's book if Rahul Sir recommended it.
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

You can get it online as free ebook, otherwise get ready to pay ear 4K INR!!
And I will try to get or see your recommended books.
Thanks!!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

guys I am not from the aero field myself but it was recommended by an aero friend of mine. I found it quite lucid. btw, unless you are interested in hypersonics and stuff not much has changed since 1989. ;)
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

Yes,it is pretty much clear and easy to comprehend, but I thought that if some book could provide practices and methods of this age with better and new examples, it would be better. Anyways, lets see!
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

try these books :
Mechanics of Flight by AC Kermode (the most apt for a layman)
Aerodynamics for Engg students by Houghton & Carpenter.
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

Thanks a lot Bob!!
siddharth
BRFite -Trainee

Post by siddharth »

I was watching "The death of Osama" on the discovery channel last night. They claim to have used Lockheed Martin RQ-170 Sentinel stealth drone not only to confirm osama's presence in the Abbottabad compound but also to monitor the raid that killed him. Is there an armed version of this drone??
UBanerjee
BRFite

Post by UBanerjee »

X-posted....

What's the best/easiest way to write in Devanagari online? I have the plug-in that shows the text for reading purposes already.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Does a warship have fishing nets to catch fresh food for self while on peaceful patrol?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^ :rotfl:

UB, how about gmail ? I can write in bangla too.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

AdityaM wrote:Does a warship have fishing nets to catch fresh food for self while on peaceful patrol?
If it does, I have never heard of it. Warships carry basic survival equipment along with life boats, and equipment for some form of fishing is a given - but not for routine use.
abhishek-nayak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek-nayak »

Guys, Can you Tell me who is this kashsoldier???
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

Do all submarines compulsorily have to feature rubber anechoic tiles in their design? Is this feature part of the design manual or code-book in every design establishment across the world? The reason I am asking is that the U209 and U212 German submarines, primarily assigned duties in the Baltic supposedly do not have them. Is is due to the friendly political environment of the region?
UBanerjee
BRFite

Post by UBanerjee »

Rahul M wrote:^^ :rotfl:

UB, how about gmail ? I can write in bangla too.
You mean gmail has built in devanagari writing?

Edit:

Cross-posting
ManishH wrote:
UBanerjee wrote:What's the best/easiest way to write in Devanagari online? I have the plug-in that shows the text for reading purposes already.
With google chrome, there's a transliteration plugin which is quite convenient http://t13n.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/bl ... lp_hi.html

If writing longer documents (html, latex), itrans (http://www.aczoom.com/itrans/) is better.

Works brilliantly. बहुत अच्छा है.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

UBanerjee
BRFite

Post by UBanerjee »

Beautiful, thanks.
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

@mods

is there a thread for putting cartoons?? i am interested in putting them. am trying them out and hope to post regularly or possibly will post a link to my blog. these are not military related but i may try some down the line.

TIA.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

why is the bullpup config more popular in modern assault rifles?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

gakakkad wrote:why is the bullpup config more popular in modern assault rifles?
It reduces the length of the rifle for the same or longer barrel length. It is also easier to fire a bull-pup rifle with one hand if need be.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

what would you say are the primary characteristics of a 2nd gen fighter as against a 3rd gen one ?
please reply in newbie thread. this is going OT here.
In answer to Rahul garu's query above, my guess would be the presence of a radar. IIRC, the gen 3 a/c such as the Mirage F1, MiG-23, and F4, all came with an FCR, the MiG-21 did not until much later?

CM.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

yup, among other factors. you might want to check the mig-21F13 V mig-21bis table I posted in the mi avia thread.
arijitkm
BRFite

Post by arijitkm »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64675684@N04/5887393223/

A newbie question.
The (above) picture of Snow Shooter is on DRDO website photo gallery.
What's the snow shooter ? And how it works ? Any details....

Thanks.
abhishek-nayak
BRFite -Trainee

HELP ME WITH AIFROCE ENTRANCE !!!

Post by abhishek-nayak »

My sister wants to give air force entrance exam for engg grads(AFCAT)

i want to know

1) can a final year engg student apply for the test?

2) what are the books available for AFCAT test.
Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Singh »

arijitkm wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/64675684@N04/5887393223/

A newbie question.
The (above) picture of Snow Shooter is on DRDO website photo gallery.
What's the snow shooter ? And how it works ? Any details....

Thanks.
As far as i know a snow shooter is a snow clearing vehicle which spray's d snow away from the road instead of just piling it on d road side.
Now I have no clue how the thing in tht pic a snow shooter :)
arijitkm
BRFite

Post by arijitkm »

^you mean, it's look like bulldozer (which clear soil, rubble etc).

But in the picture (also link from DRDO page
http://drdo.gov.in/drdo/productsgallery ... HOOTER.jpg )

It's look like hydro dam.
How it functions ? what's the utility ?

Any guess ….

Thanks.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

At 1:45 min, the rockets release and parachute down, only to suddenly pick pace to penetrate ground.
so why did they have to slow down with parachutes to start with? why didnt they use the additional free fall velocity?