India Media role in contempt and derision about India

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: India Media role in contempt and derision about India

Post by UlanBatori »

I am :shock: :eek: at this violent reaction to Freely nauseating Speech
Author assaulted for praising Salman Rushdie
March 24, 2015 02:41 IST

An Indian-origin author in South Africa has been brutally assaulted and verbally abused after she praised controversial writer Salman Rushdie whose work has angered Muslims around the world.

Zainub Priya Dala was hit in the face with a brick last week after she praised Rushdie's writing at a school in Durban, a city on the country's east coast.

Dala had been due to launch her novel What About Meera in the city on Saturday, which was ironically Human Rights Day in South Africa, but had to postpone it after being injured.

She was reportedly followed from the hotel where the festival was taking place by three men in a vehicle who forced her car off the road.

When she stopped her vehicle, two of the men came to the car, one allegedly putting a knife to her throat while the other struck her in the face with a brick while he verbally abused her.
Dala said she believed the attack occurred as a result of a comment she made during a writing forum for schools earlier in the week, when she and two other authors were asked to comment on their favourite authors.
She replied that she liked the styles of Rushdie and Indian author Arundhati Roy, which led to a number of teachers and students attending the workshop walking out in protest.
OK.. 8) I think they didn't walk, they ran to the pakistan to throw up.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

How come this lady can go to so many places??? I mean is she that rich or what? To my knowledge she wrote one book which propabley no one is reading now and got some gora award and she is almost everywhere for a decade or so. Even prolific writers of fiction do not spend that much amount going on useless trips. She is also said to be on drink all the time.

How she is getting all the money to do these things?
MurthyB
BRFite
Location: "Visa Officer", Indian Consulate #13,451, Khost Province, Afghanistan

Post by MurthyB »

Hot off the presses, just in time for spring:

Pluralism and Democracy in India
Debating the Hindu Right

Edited by Wendy Doniger and Martha C. Nussbaum
Contributors
Introduction: Wendy Doniger and Martha Nussbaum
I.The Past and the Present
The Politics of History - Amartya Sen
Pluralism on Trial in Late Nineteenth-Century India - Mushirul Hasan
Nehru, Religion, and the Humanities - Martha C. Nussbaum
Gandhi, Newton, and the Enlightenment - Akeel Bilgrami
II. Democratic Media
Legitimating Majoritarian Chauvinism: The Indian Media and the Hindutva Campaign - Malini Parthasarathy
Clarity Begins at Home - Antara Dev Sen,
From a Compartmental Society to Growing Violence and Corruption: Surveying in the 1990s through Advertisements - Arvind Rajagopal
III. Political Parties and Movements
The Long March from Ayodhya: Democracy and Violence in India - Amrita Basu
Tokenism or Empowerment? Policies and Institutions for Disadvantaged Communities - Zoya Hasan
Neoliberalism and the Food Crisis - Prabhat Patnaik
IV. Creating an Inclusive Public Culture Gurcharan Das, The Dilemma of a Liberal Hindu
The Role of Poetry and Literature in Implementing a Pluralistic Democracy: Writing at the Time of Siege - Nabaneeta Dev Sen
The Baby and the Bathwater: Secularism in the Work of a Conservative Writer - Pratik Kanjilal
The BJP's Intellectual Agenda: Textbooks and Imagined History - Mushirul Hasan and Jamia Millia Islamia
V. Gender and Democracy
'Shed No More Blood': Women's Peace Work in India - Ritu Menon
Violent and Violated Women in Hindu Extremist Politics - Tanika Sarkar
Fantasies of Purity and Domination: Rape and Torture in the Gujarat Riots - Martha C. Nussbaum
VI. India's Politics on the U.S. Stage
Speaking About, For, To, Against, and With Hindus: Scholars and Practitioners in the Diasporic Post-Colonial Moment - Paul Courtright :rotfl:
The Fight for the History of Hinduism in the American Academy - Wendy Doniger
Partisan Dreams, Fractured Homeland: Gujarati Diaspora Politics in America - Mona G. Mehta
The Hindu Diaspora in the United States - Ved Nanda
Notes
Index
This lot does not have any overlap with the HaaS lot. Maybe HaaS hive is also working on a book.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

the sen family is out in full force.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Yagnasri wrote:How come this lady can go to so many places???
You mean SARoy or Dala?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

NaMo is working to get India back on its feet, while MSM has joined the breaking India forces to defame it. It is unknown if there is an agenda, or is it simple sensationalism but MSM - TV Channels - are focusing solely on negative aspects of the country. No good news is being produced and shown on the TV. The English TV channels have to be boycotted and taken down. Alternative English TV channels have to be created that are nationalistic.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

exactly. there is a lot of traction for indians are r@pists now thanks primarily to the indian media's efforts.
RobinM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RobinM »

WOW! Breathtaking reasoning:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 910153.cms

Why India bails out its workers from Yemen and other war situations: Remittance lolly
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

SwamyG wrote:The English TV channels have to be boycotted and taken down. Alternative English TV channels have to be created that are nationalistic.
Why only English? How many speak English in India? Indian Anglophiles are small in number hence are of no consequence in vote bank politics.

Somebody asked why NDTV is being ignored. My presumption is that NDTV's reach is limited. If you force me to (WA) guess I have to say New Delhi (nayI Dhilli). I can stretch it to Delhi (Dhilli).

Come again, what does NDTV stand for? oh ya - New Delhi Idiot Box.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

I do see regional language tv getting their cues from ELM. So there is a cascade issue.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Gus: What is the reach of TV - regional or otherwise? Let us start from literacy.

100 % > % literacy >= % regional newsprint readers

% regional voters >= % regional literate >= % regional TV watchers >= % regional TV watchers who afre also literate >= % ELM newsprint readers >= % ELM TV watchers

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Can we have matters explained without using math symbols please? There is a lot of audience who want to know but might not be members.
RobinM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RobinM »

Ramanaji, To tell the truth I had a much easier time understanding the equations than I do some posts. Some very frequent posters intertwine inside humor and cryptic style so deep that it is not even worth scrolling past them. And I have been here...some 15/16 years? since Kargil :-(

For example, "Bakistan: Emirate of New-clear Inquilabi States-Bojitiv Newj" has evolved a long way for any outsider to grasp and that just skims the surface compared to the posts. A certain nation is "Khan"? I certain TV channel is UBCN? ....I don't know man...why so cryptic?

Apologize everyone for whining. With age, guess I just cant keep up :-(
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^RobinM-ji, please use the BRF Dictionary as a ready reference to keep up. Though, I admit, UBCN has me stumped most of the time, not sure it it's just a figment of UB saar's imagination or if there's a hidden meaning behind it, i.e. a real world television channel.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

RobinM wrote:A certain nation is "Khan"? I certain TV channel is UBCN? ....I don't know man...why so cryptic?

Apologize everyone for whining. With age, guess I just cant keep up :-(

1. America - American - Amir Khan - Khan - Khanland - massa land (Massa/master of the slaves or those who act like they are slaves)

2. UBCN is probably a Mongolian News channel where UB stands for Ulan Bator. News from this channel may or may not be accurate, may or may not be tongue in cheek, may or may not carry any serious meaning or news. The channel may or may not exist. It may or may not be referring to Khanate (Khanland) TV channels. We sometimes find out.
RobinM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RobinM »

Shyam and Shiv ji, Ohhh I am fully aware of how American would transform into khan....or look up the BRF dictionary. That is not the point. It is just that sometimes reading a long post with several paragraphs and multiple contortions just becomes too jarring to read. I hate to take away people's attempts at humor, but doing the America to Khan type exercise multiple times in one paragraph is a bit too much for me. vayu tuvan's attempt at writing an algebraic theorem can justifiably be a bit much for someone else.

I'll pick couple of posts at random and hope the poster does not take it otherwise. Here, I dont get one word in entire paragraphs!
"Oh man! I watched the movie "The Company" - showed the Hungarian Revolution, pretty starkly including the meddling by the Radio Free Oirope and Voice of America and the Culinary Instructors of America, the kind attentions of the Secret Police 'interrogations', and the Molotov Cocktails and the vodka-carrying tanks. Could have been today in Ukraine."
or
"The UBCNews Anal-e-sys on WHOTUSBO is this:

1. POTUSBO and FLOTUSBO are basically decent people, who have clawed their way up. They have achieved far beyond their dreams or what anyone thought they could achieve. Now they are into retirement mode, trying to philosophical, saving humanity etc. They are also very SMART people on an individual level: FAR better educated than a) Dubya - who got in on daddy's $$ and got out barely.
b) SlickWillie: OK, smart, visionary, Rhodes etc. but politician from day 1.
c) You have to start with this model to get anywhere. I used to hear of him back in 1978 as the Up&ComingHotShotFromArkansas. His half-Bro used to be in Peecheedee program in Ulan Bator Yak Madarssa.
d) Bush1: slimy character from Yale Skull&Bones society, also got in with silver spoon up his musharraf. Main credential: Musharraf-gunner on a bomber in WW2 (which I respect!) Couldn't say Iraq or Iran.
e) Ray-gun Reagan: movie actor.
f) Jimmy Carter: dropped out of engg. school in freshman year. "
These are so difficult to read and I've been here for 16 years! I bet some people understood the whole thing, learned a thing or two important things and even got entertained. Point is, "some people" did. I lost out. To paraphrase what Ramana wrote,

"Can we have matters explained without being so cryptic please? There is a lot of audience who want to know but might not be members."

Anyway, thanks for listening. Don't want to distract from the topic at hand in this thread.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

RobinM: I don't understand the first one fully but the second is crystal clear and quite funny. I remember reading that. India-Us thread may be?

But Ramana's (and by extension your) point stands. I will try to expand my cryptic post further in a day or two.
RobinM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RobinM »

vayu tuvan, I understand both of them and did so in the very first read. That is not the point. The point is you could not understand one and it took me time to understand both of them when I did. If simplicity of expression is what matters as Ramana correctly pleads, then posts like that also do a disservice :-(
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

As I said no argument there, of course.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

RobinM, Indian love to talk in riddles even on simple things. In the Sanskrit thread there is poem by a poet Magha the whole stanza has two syllables but describes a situation!

For e.g. the first post simple says "current Ukraine situation is like Hungarian revolution a shown in the movie Company."

Instead we have to read and be actively engaged to get the double and sometime triple entendres!!
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Did I see someone saying that UBCN predictions sometimes come about, but sometimes don't? Maybe. But we are actually right all the time, e.g. in Cricket Thread. Is it our fault that Reality fails to keep up sometimes, hain?

But I did not come here to read of such trivialities. I saw the following today:
General V.K. Singh spoke about “presstitutes”
:eek: :eek: :shock:
Where did he get that word? Recent activities by GOI (For the Clarity-Seekers, that stands for Government of the Republic of India) indicate that they have been reading a certain web forum, but this is utterly scary.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

What to do, we are naat knowing how to write in cliyar Angreji onlee! :(( :((
Last edited by UlanBatori on 16 Apr 2015 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

deleted
Last edited by UlanBatori on 16 Apr 2015 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Aiyyooooo!
After Teesta, Gujarat govt guns for Ford Foundation, seeks probe
TNN | Apr 15, 2015, 03.34 AM IST
After Teesta, Gujarat govt guns for Ford Foundation, seeks probe
The Gujarat government has trained its guns on Teesta Setalvad's main funding source, the US-based NGO, Ford Foundation for "interfering in the internal affairs of India" among other allegations. (TOI file photo)
AHMEDABAD/NEW DELHI: After targeting social activist Teesta Setalvad, who has been a vocal critic of Prime Minister Narendra Modi since the 2002 Gujarat riots, the Gujarat government has trained its guns on her main funding source, the US-based NGO, Ford Foundation, for "direct interference ... in the internal affairs of the country and also of abetting communal disharmony in India".

The Gujarat government has written to the Union home ministry to investigate possible violations under Foreign Exchange Management Act (Fema) by Setalvad's NGOs, Sabrang Trust and Citizens for Justice & Peace (CJP). The government has called these "proxy offices of Ford Foundation" for a long-term plan. The letter also states that Setalvad and her husband Javed Anand have maligned India's image abroad.

Acting on the letter from the Gujarat government, the Union home ministry last week sent its team to inspect the accounts of Setalvad's two NGOs. It has completed the inspection and will submit its findings soon.

READ ALSO: SC extends stay on arrest of Teesta Setalvad

The state home department has also accused the Ford Foundation of interfering with the judicial system, defaming the Indian military, and acting against the stated goal of promoting communal harmony. It has accused the funding agency of encouraging Setalvad's NGOs to advocate "a religion specific and Muslim supportive criminal code and also keep the 2002 riots incident alive".

The Gujarat government has also accused the Ford Foundation of "blatantly supporting one religion (Islam) with a strange argument that it helps secular democracy".

"We wrote to MHA a month ago. We are awaiting response," said additional chief secretary (home), GR Aloria.

"In case violations of the FCRA (Foreign Contributions Regulation Act, 2010) are noticed, we will seek an explanation from the NGO before initiating further action. However, if the FCRA violation is of serious nature, we can also send an immediate notice to the errant NGO asking why it should not be put on prior approval list," a senior home ministry official told TOI on condition of anonymity.

BLOG: Attempts to arrest Teesta are uncalled for

Earlier, the Ahmedabad crime branch had registered a case against Setalvad and Anand for allegedly embezzling funds meant for riot victims. The Gujarat high court had taken a very serious view of "corruption" by voluntary organisation and refused anticipatory bail to Setalvad and Anand. Later, the two got reprieve from the Supreme Court. The matter is pending with the apex court.

The key charges made by Gujarat govt

- Sabrang Trust (ST) and Sabrang Communication and Publishing Pvt Limited (SCPPL) received $5.4 lakh from Ford Foundation. How a grant of $2.9 lakh was given to SCPPL, a private limited company, to "address communalism, caste-based discrimination in India including media strategies" is a matter of investigation.

- Out of a project grant of US $ 2.5 lakh grant to ST--80% used for office expenses and not any clear objectives. Out of $2.9 lakh grant to SCPPL, 75% is used for office expenses.

- Ford Foundation has supported an institution in India to be operating on the premise of stoking religious tensions with their social prejudice.

- By allowing SCPPL to declare that serving and retired naval and army officers are engaged in terror generation, Ford Foundation allowed defamation of Indian military.

- By allowing through its grant visit of Pakistani human rights activist to India, foundation exceeded its brief in India and blatantly broadcasted an exaggerated point of view on communal situation in the country.

- FF by allowing to quote the annual report of US Congressional committee on religious freedom and suggesting to SC of India the FF attempted to promote voice of a foreign government over and above voice of impartial Indian judiciary.
[/quote]
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

vayu tuvan wrote:
SwamyG wrote:The English TV channels have to be boycotted and taken down. Alternative English TV channels have to be created that are nationalistic.
Why only English? How many speak English in India? Indian Anglophiles are small in number hence are of no consequence in vote bank politics.

Somebody asked why NDTV is being ignored. My presumption is that NDTV's reach is limited. If you force me to (WA) guess I have to say New Delhi (nayI Dhilli). I can stretch it to Delhi (Dhilli).

Come again, what does NDTV stand for? oh ya - New Delhi Idiot Box.
English is important because, vernacular media picks up the narration and recycles them. International media also picks the narration from these journalists. Considering the nexus between them, having alternatives will force others to take notice.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

RobinM wrote:
"The UBCNews Anal-e-sys on WHOTUSBO is this:

1. POTUSBO and FLOTUSBO are basically decent people, who have clawed their way up. They have achieved far beyond their dreams or what anyone thought they could achieve. Now they are into retirement mode, trying to philosophical, saving humanity etc. They are also very SMART people on an individual level: FAR better educated than a) Dubya - who got in on daddy's $$ and got out barely.
b) SlickWillie: OK, smart, visionary, Rhodes etc. but politician from day 1.
c) You have to start with this model to get anywhere. I used to hear of him back in 1978 as the Up&ComingHotShotFromArkansas. His half-Bro used to be in Peecheedee program in Ulan Bator Yak Madarssa.
d) Bush1: slimy character from Yale Skull&Bones society, also got in with silver spoon up his musharraf. Main credential: Musharraf-gunner on a bomber in WW2 (which I respect!) Couldn't say Iraq or Iran.
e) Ray-gun Reagan: movie actor.
f) Jimmy Carter: dropped out of engg. school in freshman year. "
As I see it it is a binary choice i.e one of three
a. Don't understand. Ignore
b. Understand fully. Ignore
c. Understand partially. Ignore
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

English is seen by educated and all gora land going public. As Bhagawan Sri Krishna said " People follow what the best people do". In this case English knowing are not the best of course. But most of the India thinks they are. So attacking English Tv and press is critical. Further I used to read Kuldeep Nayyar, Jha etc in Telugu dailies when I was kid and innocent. :D I am sure many Indian language media publications public translated articles etc from "eminent" English media workers. So make them "Non eminent" :D is critical.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

UlanBatori wrote:Did I see someone saying that UBCN predictions sometimes come about, but sometimes don't? Maybe. But we are actually right all the time, e.g. in Cricket Thread. Is it our fault that Reality fails to keep up sometimes, hain?

ha ha... my complaint always.... reality wont keep up or goes of in a diff direction ..
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Ouch!
GOI stomps on Al Jazeera.
Will they do the same to CNN? BBC?
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

UlanBatori wrote:Ouch!
This action would have sent a message hopefully..
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I sincerely hope the same happens to CNN: they keep using maps from the same Pakis despite promising way back in 2002, at the level of their VP for Integrity, never to do that again. Someone there warned them then that desis are generally very favorably inclined at the telegenic mohtermas who read their news, and may not be able to understand a word of what they say because of their accent.. but hundreds of thousands of desis can and do read their website, and when the angry reaction hits, they won't know what hit them.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Nothing has hit them... so far. They are safe, too deep rooted in India thanks to CONmen and their slavish love for gori chamdi.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Yagnasri wrote:I am sure many Indian language media publications public translated articles etc from "eminent" English media workers. So make them "Non eminent" :D is critical.
SA Roy, Anna Hazare are current darlings of gulte lands.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Karthik S wrote:
UlanBatori wrote:Ouch!
This action would have sent a message hopefully..

Not really. Most such people think the message for someone else. So when a message needs delivered better send it directly!!!!
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

The way Indian media is not bothering to cover the damage done by the earthquake in Bihar and UP borders on contempt for Indian citizens. Apparently people have to die by the thousands before the Indian media considers an event newsworthy.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Not indian, but I am curious about this one: What the hell -- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Shreeman wrote:Not indian, but I am curious about this one: What the hell -- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/
This is typical "western" condescending coverage of India. Out of over 1.25 billion people, they love to find these fringe stories. No news about Micromax's latest valuation of $5bn, IAF/Army's role in Nepal or the GST bill. They're more worried about a particular monkey in Shimla and an unfortunate baby born somewhere. I think the Brit media is actually worse than US media, because it has a colonial hangover for sure.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Shreeman wrote:Not indian, but I am curious about this one: What the hell -- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/

Pulitzer's dictat on news was "man bites dog" stories interest readers more than other stuff.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Nikhil T wrote:
This is typical "western" condescending coverage of India. Out of over 1.25 billion people, they love to find these fringe stories. No news about Micromax's latest valuation of $5bn, IAF/Army's role in Nepal or the GST bill. They're more worried about a particular monkey in Shimla and an unfortunate baby born somewhere. I think the Brit media is actually worse than US media, because it has a colonial hangover for sure.
The British media mocks everyone including the US. Superiority complex is all they are left with.