Indian Police Reform

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Police Reform

Post by ramana »

Sachin, Read this and if you want to know more send me an e-mail

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 8#p1226088
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

ramana wrote:Sachin, Read this and if you want to know more send me an e-mail
Thanks ramana would drop an e-mail soon.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/City ... 817333.cms
HC notice to officer who punished cop

Feb 9, 2012, 05.25AM IST

NEW DELHI: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought an explanation from a senior police officer on why he had made a constable perform front rolls in full public view at the Patiala House court complex the previous day.

The court was informed about the incident by a lawyer, R K Saini, who sought initiation of criminal contempt proceedings against additional deputy commissioner Seju P Kuruvilla for "scandalizing" the court by his method of punishment. According to some accounts, Kuruvilla had allegedly punished the constable for talking on his cellphone while on duty at a gate and for failing to properly frisk visitors.

"We issue notice to the Delhi police commissioner as well as to the additional DCP concerned. We also direct the Police Commissioner to file a status report on February 15," a bench of acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw said, seeking a response from Kuruvilla by February 15.

Saini told the court that Kuruvilla punished the constable for not saluting him, even tearing away his badge and snatching his phone. Citing various news reports on the incident, lawyer R K Saini alleged before the HC that the order of the district judge of the Patiala House courts in the matter was "inappropriate as he has simply forwarded the complaint of some lawyers to the police chief for taking action".

"The police officer, who himself was not in uniform, took exception to the behaviour of the constable who did not salute him. The police officer tore the badge and snatched his mobile phone and awarded inhuman and indecent punishment for a non-existing offence," Saini alleged, citing reports to support his plea.

According to the complaint lodged, by some lawyers, after making the constable do front rolls, Addl DCP Seju P Kuruvilla tore off the badge from the constable's uniform, snatched his cell and used abusive language. These lawyers said they were protesting as they were ashamed by the act. Some lawyer had also filmed the entire drama on camera.

Earlier, acting on their complaint, the district judge of Patiala House courts had directed the city police commissioner to "proceed as per law" against an "erring" additional DCP. In their complaint filed before Judge H S Sharma, the lawyers had said Kuruvilla had compelled constable Dinesh Kumar, who was on duty at gate number 6 of the court, to crawl on the ground in uniform. The judge also saw a video clipping of the alleged incident and asked the complainants to preserve it. The city police chief has asked the Jt CP of Crime Branch to conduct an inquiry. A senior cop said the Joint CP will record the statement of both parties and submit report at the earliest.
I have very mixed views on this. On the whole, I actually think the Addl DCP was correct. He is a fairly junior IPS officer (2005 batch), and not so long out of SVPNPA. Punishment of this sort may be common for infringements in the academy. Additionally, the constable was posted to protect the court complex, and this is an important duty and he should not be goofing off.

In a sense its a very good thing that the officer was there to check security arrangements.

Lawyers being civilians may not understand the importance of discipline, and may think that this is an inhumane punishment, not knowing that it is fairly common in uniformed forces. (See reports of people thinking constable was made to "crawl"- a front roll is not a crawl, unless the fellow was too unfit to perform the exercise).

I think the young IPS chap had the right idea in punishing this errant constable.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

ASPuar wrote:According to some accounts, Kuruvilla had allegedly punished the constable for talking on his cellphone while on duty at a gate and for failing to properly frisk visitors.
The constable for sure was not attentive on duty. But punishments like front-rolls are generally given inside the police training colleges. If I understand it correctly the idea of front roll as a punishment is not to humiliate a person in front of a large number of people. Such punishments meted out in public is for sure going to be considered as "inhuman" punishments, by the general public.

So in over-all the idea of the DCP may have been correct, but the spot he chose may not be the right one. Best would have been to send the errant constable to a PTC for a small "refresher course". :wink: .
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I dont agree with the yong officer way of enforcing discipline. Some sort of show oafiness is there. Besides he was in civilian clothes and he expects to be saluted? Did the cop know him from before?
Talkin on cellphone on duty! He might be getting a call to be alert?

Also meeting out punishment in the court premsies could be contempt of court?

Antediluvian punishments to show of one's ego are not conducive ot a modern force.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Both points of view are relevant.

He should not have been goofing off. But he should not have been humiliated either. And of course, service rules do not permit saluting someone out of uniform anyway.

Probably best solution would have been to punish him within police lines, and not "then and there" dabangg style.

At any rate, being raked over the coals by the hon'ble HC will cool down the Addl DCP also. He will not commit the mistake of acting on instinct within court premises.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Are there rules in the IPS against striking their juniors?

The junior can't strike back as that would be agianst the rules!

Gen Patton got demoted for slapping a soldier during invasion of Italy in World WarII.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

ramana wrote:Gen Patton got demoted for slapping a soldier during invasion of Italy in World WarII.
As I recall Patton didn't even receive an administrative reprimand. All he did was go and apologize the the men he slapped.

At any rate the IPS officer was not entitled to a salute since he was out of uniform. Whether he knew him or not is irrelevant.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

ramana wrote:Are there rules in the IPS against striking their juniors?

The junior can't strike back as that would be agianst the rules!

Gen Patton got demoted for slapping a soldier during invasion of Italy in World WarII.
Saar, our police services (at least in North India) operate on the lines of "Jiski laathi uski bhains" (literally, "whoever has the biggest stick, owns the buffalo", or more prosaically, "might makes right"). Rules or no, no constable is ever in a position to complain (and have action taken) against an IPS officer, unless there is some other IPS officer godfather behind him, trying to undermine the officer complained against. The power gap is far too great. This is even more so in states like UP, Bihar, etc, but also true in Punjab, Haryana etc, including Delhi.

In Uttar Pradesh (Lucknow), a DIGP thrashed a constable until he was unconscious, because he found him urinating on the compound wall of his bungalow while posted for security there. In the same state, a female District Magistrate thrashed a lady constable and then had false cases registered against her, because she suspected her of practicing witchcraft. The lady constable had been posted in the DM's house, and was being used for cleaning the DM's baby's diapers.

Besides, in this case the officer has not struck the constt, but rather made him perform an awkward maneouver in front of the general public...

And the overinflated ego of new IAS/IPS officers is well known, since they are still getting used to their newfound power, and are still unaware of the limits that actually exist upon it.

Ideally of course, this power gap between the lowest and highest heirarchy in police should not exist. It doesnt exist in most western nations, where the constable is also a base unit of the police heirarchy, and has a clear shot at becoming the chief of police. Unfortunately, in India, with its disguised unemployment, and feudal and colonial past, constables are the whipping boys of senior IAS, IPS etc officers. Often enough you find a dozen of them posted at the SP or collectors house, shifting flowerpots, cleaning baby's diapers, and generally being ill treated. In turn, they also ill treat and abuse the general public. Its a kick downwards sort of syndrome. Until this changes, such incidents cannot be said to be rare.

And, as I mentioned above, he should have been paying attention to his duty. But of course, a constable may receive information on his phone also.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Sorry, it was a Home Guard (auxiliary police force) who was accused of witchcraft by the DM. Note that the homeguard was made to change diapers, do cleaning, and wash the toilet.

Also note that the DM, far from being embarassed, says to the media "You all dont know how to behave with a DM"!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 793552.cms
District magistrate accuses attendant of 'witchcraft' in Uttar Pradesh
Bipin Chand Agarwal, PTI | Nov 19, 2011, 05.52PM IST

Literacy has not ensured an end to superstition in India. A young woman district magistrate suspended one of her attendants for carrying out “witchcraft” on her.
BAHRAICH: Literacy has not ensured an end to superstition in India. A young woman district magistrate suspended one of her attendants for carrying out "witchcraft" on her.

District magistrate Bahraich, Dr Pinky Jowel ordered suspension of home guard Mithilesh Saini on November 15 for allegedly carrying out "sorcery" in her bedroom where she had found a few mustard seeds littered.

Mithilesh's commandant has been served a notice asking her to show-cause why she should not be removed from service for carrying out witchcraft in the DM's official residence.

Besides getting a formal charge-sheet issued to the low-paid home guard, Jowel went to the extent of getting a Hindu priest to perform a 'yagya' (religious ceremony) in her bedroom to "ward off the suspected evil effects of the witchcraft."

Ram Darshan Misra, the priest who performed the 'yagya' confirmed, "Well, I did perform a 'puja' (prayers) and 'yagya' to ensure that the Bahraich district magistrate remained safe from all evil effects of whatever witchcraft was carried out in her official residence."

The incident has also exposed the blatant misuse of home guards, who in this case was not only made to do daily chores such as sweeping and mopping the floors, clean the toilet in the magistrate's bungalow and wash her child's potty.

"Not just me, the other half dozen home guards posted in the DM's residence too were forced to carry out all odd jobs," Mithilesh said. She denied that she had carried out any kind of sorcery in the DM's house.

"The charge against me is baseless and false, I did nothing. Just because she found a few mustard seeds on her bed she blasted me and charged me of carrying out witchcraft. The fact is, I neither believe in witchcraft nor have I any clue about anything of that sort," said Mithilesh.

A visibly annoyed Jowel said, "You all don't know how to deal with a district magistrate. If I performed a 'puja' in my house, it is a personal matter. I've no comments on the home guard's statement."
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... ke/910359/

Constable pleads as inquiry begins: "Don’t want boss in trouble... it was my mistake".

Prawesh Lama
Posted: Feb 10, 2012 at 0316 hrs IST

New Delhi

A day after Delhi High Court sought a report from Delhi Police and issued notice to Additional DCP Seju P Kuruvilla for allegedly making a constable do forward rolls after he failed to recognise and salute him at the Patiala House courts complex, the constable said he did not want to land the officer in trouble. He said he was “punished for my own mistake” and “want everyone to forget about it”. Constable Dinesh Kumar, who has been taken off Patiala House duty and posted at the office of the Additional CP, New Delhi district, told Newsline that he did not want the incident played up.

“I got punished for my own mistake. Such kind of punishment is given to us during training sessions. I do not feel bad about the incident. I will work harder and continue to serve Delhi Police more diligently,” he said.

“I do not wish trouble for my boss. These things happen while working in the police department. I do not want to look back at the incident. I want everyone to forget about it. Life has to move on,” Dinesh Kumar said.

Kuruvilla, on the other hand, did not meet reporters who turned up at his office. He reported for work early Thursday.

Police sources said Kuruvilla, against whom an inquiry is being conducted by Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime), was preparing his defence in a ‘Report on the Patiala House Court Incident’. He is an IPS officer of the 2007 batch.

A senior police official said notices would be served on Dinesh Kumar, Kuruvilla and the advocates who filmed the forward-roll incident. They would be asked to join the inquiry. The police would submit the inquiry report to the court.

A video clip of the incident shows Dinesh Kumar doing forward rolls on the court premises, allegedly on the orders of Kuruvilla who was upset that the constable failed to recognise and salute him — Kuruvilla’s Facebook page says he studied at Sainik School Kazhakootam.

Taking serious note of the video clip, the Delhi High Court sought a status report from Delhi Police Commissioner B K Gupta and issued notice to Kuruvilla.

“We issue notice to the Delhi Police Commissioner and to the Additional DCP concerned. We also direct the police commissioner to file a status report about the incident on February 15,” the HC bench said.

Meanwhile, S N Sharma, one of the lawyers who was witness to the incident, said: “The inhumane treatment happened before us, so we have full right to lodge a complaint on the incident. We will approach police for an FIR and if they do not register an FIR against the Additional DCP, we will move court for proceedings.”
Here, I told you so. The constable himself is crying off the whole affair. How can he challenge authority of an IPS officer, who has power to have him dismissed from service, or make his life hell? Obviously, the police establishment has come down heavily on this constable, telling him that he had better make things look ok for the boss.

Meanwhile, Indian Express does not mention talking on cellphone at all. Says punishment was meted out simply because constable did not salute. What does this say about the Addl DCP? Or is the media spicing things up as usual?
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Besides, consider this. Delhi is a small state. Kuruvilla will be in service for another 32 years, and will be a big man one day. Most our constable can hope for is a fulfilling career where he rises to inspector, becomes an SHO, and retires. Why would he jeopardise all that?
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

ASPuar, totally agree with your analysis on the behaviour of the police men. I guess the general social circumstances at the place where such incidents happen also should be considered. In certain parts of India, I see that IAS/IPS officers are like small time rajahs who have a personal fiefdom over the territory. The politicians off course are the maharajahs. The PSI, HCs are all like small time heads of militias etc., and hold sway over smaller territories. Any one who upsets this apple cart, would be taken to task by the higher ups. There seems to be know other system, which can help the people down the pecking order. So a classic case of an SI, who can thrash civilians in the most inhumane way, pissing in his pants when an IPS officer comes up. The IPS officer can do pretty much the same to the SI,HC, PC etc.

The sad part is that this sort of boorish behaviour of the IAS/IPS-wallahs also gets taken up by their wives and kids. Remember the case of a Lady Inspector being attacked by the wife of a senior IAS officer at Bangalore. The spoilt brat of this fellow, had ridiculed police men in uniform, and the inspector reprimanded him for this nasty behaviour. Now Mrs. IAS does not like this at all and thus started the fight.

Let me be quite honest with you. The worst cases of IAS/IPS wallahs behaving in boorish way, are when these people are from the same areas of India, which you mentioned in your posts. The sad case is that they are just imposing their boorish behaviour (which may be the "in thing" in their parts of the wood) among the parts of India, where people have better way of dealing with others. I feel that literacy is one "differentiating factor" here. K.P is doing away (or already done away with) the "Orderly" system. At the max there is a PSO for the IPS officer, but not an "Orderly". Police men have now started raising their voice and say they are not paid to work as "Orderlies" (this nappy changing business, and running errands for the IPS++, i.e the SHQ of the IPS officer). Have heard complaints (more in the lines of whines), that their IPS posting is not giving them the same level of clout which they may have got in their own home states. The media is ever watchful, and any wrong moves would cause unneccessary troubles. So much so that many of the young IPS officers now consider the junior ranks in much more better respectable terms. Some of them have shown enough team playing and leadership skills, that it has brought real good improvement in L&O situations.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Regardless the IPS officer expecting a salute when he is not in uniform is wrong.

Seondly his ordering those 'froward rolls' based on not saluting is wrong.

Third there was a report of him having stripped the constable of his badge etc which is an assault in any legal code.

Regardless of whether the victim files a complaint or not a physical assault was conducted on Delhi High Court premises. And witnessed by lawyers. This is violation of sanctuary of the court and a contempt of court.

The IPS officer is not fit for service. Time to make it clear assaulting a police constable is not lawful.

That the constable was supposedly negligent is a different matter and should be taken up also.

In San Francisco right now , the sheriff (equal to Supdt of Police in India) beat up his wife and the police were called by neighbors. The wife did not complain but the DA office had to pursue the matter. The case is going on right now. Lot of drama about how the sheriff is not able to see his two year old son etc.

He is top police man and if he breaks the law how can one have confidence that he will uphold the law?
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

ramana wrote:In San Francisco right now , the sheriff (equal to Supdt of Police in India) beat up his wife and the police were called by neighbors. The wife did not complain but the DA office had to pursue the matter.
Was the Sheriff (an elected person) actually from the Law Enforcement? I hear that in US that Sheriffs can be elected representatives who need not have any prior experience in law enforcement. To add on, I think the pride and prestige which US law enforcement gets is through the follow up they do on such crimes. At least in basic interactions which a common man have with the police officer cases like bribery etc. are not there. My firm belief is that even in India, people would have more faith in the police if the day to day matters can be carried out with bribery, assault, coercion etc. No one is really bothered about bribery, corruption etc. taking place at much higher levels.

PS: I also strongly believe that people do have a good faith in Army mainly because they do not have such day-to-day interactions with civilians. And secondly any minor corruption etc. does not affect the civilian in any way, and they are all taken by the judicial system in the Army.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Sachin wrote:ASPuar, totally agree with your analysis on the behaviour of the police men. I guess the general social circumstances at the place where such incidents happen also should be considered. In certain parts of India, I see that IAS/IPS officers are like small time rajahs who have a personal fiefdom over the territory. The politicians off course are the maharajahs. The PSI, HCs are all like small time heads of militias etc., and hold sway over smaller territories. Any one who upsets this apple cart, would be taken to task by the higher ups. There seems to be know other system, which can help the people down the pecking order. So a classic case of an SI, who can thrash civilians in the most inhumane way, pissing in his pants when an IPS officer comes up. The IPS officer can do pretty much the same to the SI,HC, PC etc.

The sad part is that this sort of boorish behaviour of the IAS/IPS-wallahs also gets taken up by their wives and kids. Remember the case of a Lady Inspector being attacked by the wife of a senior IAS officer at Bangalore. The spoilt brat of this fellow, had ridiculed police men in uniform, and the inspector reprimanded him for this nasty behaviour. Now Mrs. IAS does not like this at all and thus started the fight.

Let me be quite honest with you. The worst cases of IAS/IPS wallahs behaving in boorish way, are when these people are from the same areas of India, which you mentioned in your posts. The sad case is that they are just imposing their boorish behaviour (which may be the "in thing" in their parts of the wood) among the parts of India, where people have better way of dealing with others. I feel that literacy is one "differentiating factor" here. K.P is doing away (or already done away with) the "Orderly" system. At the max there is a PSO for the IPS officer, but not an "Orderly". Police men have now started raising their voice and say they are not paid to work as "Orderlies" (this nappy changing business, and running errands for the IPS++, i.e the SHQ of the IPS officer). Have heard complaints (more in the lines of whines), that their IPS posting is not giving them the same level of clout which they may have got in their own home states. The media is ever watchful, and any wrong moves would cause unneccessary troubles. So much so that many of the young IPS officers now consider the junior ranks in much more better respectable terms. Some of them have shown enough team playing and leadership skills, that it has brought real good improvement in L&O situations.
I agree with what youre saying, but I will point out the SP Kuruvilla, IPS, who ordered the front rolls, is domiciled in Kerala, though posted to AGMUT cadre. I think ill grace is not by birth, but acquired by the individual.

That being said, Im not at all surprised at the reports of disgruntlement among IAS/IPS from UP/Bihar feeling that they dont have the same status as they would in their home states. Where the political authority is weak, or ineffectual due to 'other' interests (eg corruption, not bothered about administration), these bureaucrats usurp the function of the political executive, and get away with anything. An IPS officer in Bihar under Laloo was essentially GOD. He could do ANYTHING, and NEVER be questioned! Nowadays, with Nitish Kumar in power, this arbitary, and extra legal power has become much less (leading to some amount of heartburn!).

With regard to the larger system of policing, essentially, the whole system of IPS/SPS/Subordinate Services/Group D is colonial, and should be chucked in the bin. It arose, because the British needed a paramilitary type police force, to keep the populace in check. This is why the police has officer ranks and non officer ranks, something that is not usual in civil service type police elsewhere.

If at all an officer-non officer system has to exist in the police, it should be that all start at the same level, and then work their way up to a rank. The police today has too many 'managers' and too few effective workers. In truth, most of the real police work is being done at the non gazetted officer level, through PI, PSI, ASI, with other higher officers only 'supervising'. One young IPS officer who used to be a journalist even went to the extent of rather pompously saying that he 'presides' over some 6000 policemen as an SP. Of what use is his "presidency"?

IPS officers join work, spend a short time in the field, and then are posted elsewhere. Within four short years of service (including two spent in training only), they become eligible to be SP's of a district. What use is this greenhorn SP? Shouldnt someone managing the security of a police district have some experience first? Its like if someone told a newly minted army officer, four years into his service, here, take this batallion, and command it (this happened shortly after independence to many officers btw). What happens in such a situation? The boss doesnt know anything about anything, but cant show it, cuz hes the boss. The old sinners (SI, PI, etc) run the show, whichever way they want. Who loses? The public!

As regards bad behaviour of IAS/IPS relatives, I have seen most IAS in Punjab/Haryana have lots of policemen attached to thier houses. Their kids all have drivers who are HC/ASI level, to intimidate anyone who comes across thier vehicles. Is there any wonder they have no respect for anything?

Bangalore case, the lady got her desserts. She was arrested, as I understand it, though of course, released right away thereafter.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ASP and Sachin, The key to Police reforms is Politician reform. Otherwise its treating the symptoms and not the disease.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Yes and no. I think that an NDA type institution would reorient the type of officers coming to the police force to a more police based thought, instead of the current bureaucratic thought process...
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

Sachin wrote:PS: I also strongly believe that people do have a good faith in Army mainly because they do not have such day-to-day interactions with civilians. And secondly any minor corruption etc. does not affect the civilian in any way, and they are all taken by the judicial system in the Army.
The vast majority of the Army is in the combat arms and the combat arms are squeaky clean at the bottom. Izzat, personal and that of the battalion is the bedrock of the Army. Without it commanders would be hard put to lead their men to combat. Service arms, depending on their level of interaction with civilian sources (related mostly to procurement) tend to be proportionally corrupt. The reputation of the Army though stands on the combat arms, the men who're out there in knee deep snow in whatever equipment they're given and do their jobs day in and day out without complain.

The army does not operate on corruption for it's primary tasks. As such the people on the receiving end of corruption tends to be the Army itself, manifest in such things as poor equipment or items for a given amount of money. This is vastly different from the common experience with the Police which is corruption for tasks they're mandated to do, like file FIRs and such. Tasks both petty and huge. I've seen the vast difference even in the speed of murder investigations where palms are greased and otherwise.

The police are quite often doing a thankless job while getting shafted by their own bosses(I've been to efficient PS which have to sadly ask people if they can photocopy forms for them.). That shouldn't however stop us from seeing that the police is dipped in corrupt from one end to another. It tinges every element of interaction with them. It's not just about how often the citizen meets them however; it's a question of their very basic core functionality being driven by it. If police corruption like Army corruption was about what quality of lathis and eggs were procured, no one but the Police would care. If you want to draw equivalences that would be like the Artillery commander refusing to do counter battery fire on Paki Arty unless the villagers getting hit, pay him a hafta.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Direct result of "politician reform", viz, clean people in politics: Babus are on the run, and heading for the hills! IPS and IAS officers running away from Bihar on central deputation in droves. Just goes to show, that the higher bureaucracy are not just facilitators, but originators of corruption. When a clean broom comes into office, they dont want to help, but just want to hide their ill gotten assets!

This, IMO is another problem with the "All India Service" system of administration, and should be high on the list of police reforms planned. Officers from other states, far away, have no interest in the local administration of justice. They are not committed to the land, and operate occasionally like colonial marauders that they were in British times.

Why should recruitment, staffing, etc of police service officers not be entirely in the hands of the state? Why have these fair weather friends, who keep running away on central deputations?

http://www.thestatesman.net/index.php?o ... 0&catid=36
Nitish cracks the whip, babus seek greener pastures

10 February 2012

Patna, 10 Feb:

“Changing Bihar” may have generated a lot of interest in the media, but officials posted in the state seem to be getting increasingly uncomfortable with the hard line on corruption and inefficiency that Mr Nitish Kumar has taken. That, at least, is the obvious surmise, given the scramble among top government officials to opt for voluntary retirement or apply for Central deputation. Six officials have resigned in the last few days, and more than 50 others have opted for voluntary retirement. All had been posted in Purnia, an eastern district known for its unhealthy conditions. "I have never seen such a scramble among the officials to quit jobs," said Purnia district magistrate N Sarvanan Kumar.
The fleeing officials have more than five to 10 years of service left, and are being handsomely paid on time. Senior authorities, bemused, argue that increasing “pressures to deliver” and the “government’s tough stand on corruption” might have panicked them. Most of the officials, however, cited poor health, a lack of career advancement, an increasing workload, or their inability to keep up with Bihar's switch from manual to computerised systems.
There has also been a scramble among the IAS and IPS officials to go on Central deputation. Twenty-seven Indian Police Service officials have done so, and 118 of 327 sanctioned IAS posts are vacant, leaving working IAS officials overburdened. It’s not exactly known what brought on this exodus, a fear of the Nitish Kumar government's ongoing war on corruption is likely a major factor. The state government has recently dismissed more than 50 officials, sent to jail employees for accepting bribes, and opened schools in the seized houses of corrupt officials.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

X-post from Indian railways thread

I travelled BSB-LKO and return in a span of 4 days.

The UP police cadre are usurping all reserved II Sleeper coaches on all trains to travel for election duty. It is complete goondaism by the polie forces. Legitimate reservation ticket holding passengers including women and babies are being denied their berths by the .303 toting force. The police simply refuse to budge once they have occupied the seats.

One police worthy threatened to shoot a passenger who was quite forceful and persistent in his demand that the constable vacate his berth.

My berth was also usurped. TTE's are unwilling to help.

Many are in various states of inebriation. Some are spitting gobfuls of pan spit in the compartment itself. Many are smoking beedis with their disgusting smell all night long.

One constable told me the government has made transport arrangements but only by bus which the police are unwilling to use.

This is not an isolated instance but am told will continue until the 4th of March. All in all, shameful behaviour by the UP police force.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Disgraceful. Meanwhile, UP Police IPS officers are indulging in a strange trade union action through their IPS association.

Enraged by an IAS officers alleged treatment of a fellow IPS wallah, they are agitating against him, and demanding his transfer. Are such tactics justified? I dont make any remark about the conduct of the IAS man. If it was wrong, so be it, but there must be constitutional methods of protest, which dont try to hold the state to ransom, and dictate policy to the lawfully elected government?

The spat apparently began because the IPS officer resented serving under the IAS officer District Magistrate who was a batch junior to him. The Divisional Commissioner took the IPS officer to task for his behaviour, and it turned out that the IPS officer walked out of the meeting, and went straight to the IPS association to complain. Now the association is trying to armtwist the govt. Furthermore, 6 IPS officers have submitted their "resignations" to the IPS association. Of course, this is meaningless, because a resignation is no resignation unless submitted to the proper authority, viz. the government.

I say, let the govt accept these so called resignations. See how fast the cops will withdraw them.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_ec ... ly_1643655
EC steps in as IAS-IPS spat gets ugly

Published: Monday, Jan 30, 2012, 8:27 IST
By DNA Correspondent | Place: Lucknow | Agency: DNA

The IAS-IPS spat in Uttar Pradesh took an ugly turn on Sunday when a delegation of the UP IPS Association met the UP cabinet secretary to demand the removal of IAS officer basti division commissioner Anurag Srivastava.

The commissioner had reportedly ‘misbehaved’ with Siddhartanagar SP Mohit Gupta during an election related meeting of officials. The IAS officer reportedly showed the door to the SP and made some derogatory remarks.

The matter came to the notice of the EC which transferred Mohit Gupta as well as V Chaitra, the Siddhartanagar district magistrate (DM) as the spat had actually started between the DM and the SP.

The IPS officer, after being humiliated, sought the help of the UP IPS Officers’ Association, which demanded the immediate transfer of the bureaucrat.

A delegation of IPS officers also met the chief electoral officer Umesh Sinha, demanding removal of the IAS officer. The state government has set up a committee to probe the incident.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

IPS officers in UP themselves are not doodh dhula. What the Divisional Commissioner allegedly did to the IPS wallah, the IPS officers routinely do to OTHERS!

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/for-u ... d/911816/0
For united we stand, IPS, PPS find common ground

Express news service : Lucknow, Tue Feb 14 2012, 03:31 hrs

The Indian Police Service (IPS) has joined hands with the Provincial Police Services (PPS) in UP for a united stand against issues — a case in point being the recent stand-off between former Basti commissioner and former Siddharth Nagar SP. The PPS has accepted the call, but with a rider that there would be no compromise on such humiliation of their colleagues at the hands of administrative heads.

At a meeting held in Lucknow today, the PPS officials minced no words in saying that they were often subjected to humiliation at the hands of IPS officers. After discussing various issues related to the routine policing, the IPS and PPS officials reached a consensus to work towards solving problems at every level of the force.

Secretary of the IPS Association, Arun Kumar told The Indian Express that to ensure that the issues are addressed effectively, a coordination committee has been set up, comprising both IPS and PPS officers.

He also said that the committee will make efforts to get Supreme Court’s order related to Police Reforms implemented in UP. The IPS association will also help the PPS association in redressal of their issues related to the cadre review and delayed promotions.

When asked if the issue related to ‘humiliation’ of ex-Siddharth Nagar SP Mohit Gupta by ex-Basti Commissioner Anurag Srivastava is being resolved by the government, Kumar replied that the government had ordered an inquiry into the matter. The report has been submitted to the government by the committee, but a decision is yet to be taken on the finding.

PPS Association president Jugul Kishore said this was the first time in UP that “the IPS association called us to discuss issues related to policing... Now, we will work together.”
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ASP follow-up from Pioneer on the Delhi HC incident
Additional DCP of Delhi Police who made a constable crawl in Patiala House courts last week, got a respite from Delhi High Court on Wednesday but the Delhi Police chief was warned against repetition of such incidents.

A bench of acting Chief Justices AK Sikri and Rajiv Sahai Endlaw refrained from initiating contempt proceedings against Additional DCP (New Delhi) Seju P Kuruvila after the counsel appearing for him said that front roll was a ‘minor punishment’ as per the provisions of the Punjab Police Act. The counsel appearing for Kuruvila submitted that punishment awarded to the constable Dinesh Kumar was a common practice and did not intend to ill-treat him. The court, however, said awarding such punishment was ‘inhuman’ and directed the city police commissioner to issue a direction to ensure that no officer resorts to punishing their subordinates in public places.

“We are of the opinion that this case does not come under any provision of the Contempt of Court Act. We are not inclined to initiate criminal contempt of court proceeding against the officer,” the bench said. Asking the police chief to go through the Punjab Police Rules, which is applicable to the Delhi Police as well, the court said awarding such punishment to juniors is not prescribed in the police rules. “We are of the opinion that the punishment of such nature is not prescribed in the Punjab Police Rules. It is inhuman in nature and awarding punishment to a constable in public in court premises is inappropriate,” the bench said. :lol:

Kuruvila had allegedly punished the constable for failing to recognise and not saluting him. Instead, the constable continued talking on his mobile phone while on duty in the Patiala House Court premises. Accepting Kuruvila’s counsel’s argument that it is a common practice and a minor punishment, the court also rebuked the constable for talking on mobile phone during duty hours. “We don’t find much fault in the officer’s act of awarding such punishment, (which) is a normal practice...It is expected from a security man to remain alert and discharge his duties,” the bench said.

“So far as security is concerned, the constable was at fault,” the court said while accepting the police argument that the constable was not attentive to his duties in the high security area like Patiala House Court complex.
The court was hearing a plea of lawyer RK Saini, seeking initiation of criminal contempt proceeding against Kuruvila for ‘lowering’ the institution and ‘scandalising’ the court and its proceedings. :((
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Ramana:

Yes, I saw that. Mixed feelings, as I say, and the court reflects that. They do point out that the constable should have taken his duty seriously. But IMO IPS officers also should not act in this high handed and arrogant manner against their subordinates, the public, etc.

Anyway, the Delhi Police has been caught with its pants down, lying before the court pretending that this was an authorised punishment. They have ordered the Commissioner of Police to ensure that public punishment is not meted out to police personnel.

All in all, Seju P Kuruvilla IPS got away quite lightly. He could have been hauled over the coals.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... ok/912810/

Nightclubbing woman 'raped' at gunpoint; tracks down rapists on Facebook

Express news service

Posted: Feb 16, 2012 at 0653 hrs IST
Kolkata A 37-year-old woman has alleged that she was raped at gunpoint in a moving car earlier this month while returning from a nightclub on Park Street in central Kolkata. The woman has also accused the Park Street police of misbehaving with her when she had gone to lodge a complaint with them.
According to the woman, she was offered lift by a man whom she had befriended at the nightclub; three other men were also inside the car when she boarded it. The woman said one of the men, whom she has identified as Sarafat Ali, pinned her down in the moving car, took out a pistol, placed its barrel in her mouth, and raped her before abandoning her near Exide House, some 2 km from Park Hotel. She said she later took a taxi to her home in Behala.

While the incident took place on February 5 late evening, the woman said she went to the police accompanied by her aunt four days later — on February 9 — as she was in a state of trauma.

In the police complaint, she has identified the other three men in the car as Azhar Ali, Luvi Gidwani and Salman, who was driving the car.

Interestingly, the woman said she tracked down the four accused on social networking website Facebook.

Alleging misbehaviour and negligence on the part of the Park Street police, the victim’s aunt said that when they had gone to the police station on Tuesday to find out if there was any headway in the case, the police officer on duty asked the 37-year-old if she was interested in going to a nightclub with him.

Police said the delay in investigation was due to a “technical problem”.

Joint commissioner (crime) Damyanti Sen said: “The complaint was lodged on February 9 and the woman was taken to the Medical College for a medical test. As the forensic expert was not available on the day, she was asked to come on February 14.”

On the alleged police misbehaviour, Sen said: “If there is any specific complaint against any police officer, of misbehaving with the victim, it will be treated with seriousness and strict departmental action will be taken.”
Meanwhile, Kolkata Police proves that sensitivity training of policemen with regard to rape victims is not something they have ever heard of. Here, a rape victim is trying to get a case registered, but instead of doing the work, the cop on duty is asking the rape victim if she wants to go on a date to a night club with him. If it wasnt so tragic for the woman involved, it would be hilarious.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

ASPuar wrote:http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... ok/912810/

Nightclubbing woman 'raped' at gunpoint; tracks down rapists on Facebook

Express news service

Posted: Feb 16, 2012 at 0653 hrs IST
Kolkata A 37-year-old woman has alleged that she was raped at gunpoint in a moving car earlier this month while returning from a nightclub on Park Street in central Kolkata. The woman has also accused the Park Street police of misbehaving with her when she had gone to lodge a complaint with them.
According to the woman, she was offered lift by a man whom she had befriended at the nightclub; three other men were also inside the car when she boarded it. The woman said one of the men, whom she has identified as Sarafat Ali, pinned her down in the moving car, took out a pistol, placed its barrel in her mouth, and raped her before abandoning her near Exide House, some 2 km from Park Hotel. She said she later took a taxi to her home in Behala.

While the incident took place on February 5 late evening, the woman said she went to the police accompanied by her aunt four days later — on February 9 — as she was in a state of trauma.

In the police complaint, she has identified the other three men in the car as Azhar Ali, Luvi Gidwani and Salman, who was driving the car.

Interestingly, the woman said she tracked down the four accused on social networking website Facebook.

Alleging misbehaviour and negligence on the part of the Park Street police, the victim’s aunt said that when they had gone to the police station on Tuesday to find out if there was any headway in the case, the police officer on duty asked the 37-year-old if she was interested in going to a nightclub with him.

Police said the delay in investigation was due to a “technical problem”.

Joint commissioner (crime) Damyanti Sen said: “The complaint was lodged on February 9 and the woman was taken to the Medical College for a medical test. As the forensic expert was not available on the day, she was asked to come on February 14.”

On the alleged police misbehaviour, Sen said: “If there is any specific complaint against any police officer, of misbehaving with the victim, it will be treated with seriousness and strict departmental action will be taken.”
Meanwhile, Kolkata Police proves that sensitivity training of policemen with regard to rape victims is not something they have ever heard of. Here, a rape victim is trying to get a case registered, but instead of doing the work, the cop on duty is asking the rape victim if she wants to go on a date to a night club with him. If it wasnt so tragic for the woman involved, it would be hilarious.
In their convoluted mind she is easy meat just because she went to the Nightclub.

Many liberals in India have very narrow view, in many cases narrow minindess in this nation is passed of as left liberal view.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

rahulm wrote:This is not an isolated instance but am told will continue until the 4th of March. All in all, shameful behaviour by the UP police force.
;). People travelling to these parts from South India generally complain that once the train reaches the northern states there is no concept of a reserved seat. All and sundry (and they are not police men) barge in, and put to use the simple concepts of dada giri. So let us not blame the police exclusively here. Seems to be a very generic problem in the area.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

On the contrary. A higher responsibility lies on the police, because they are specifically charged with maintaining public order. The law recognises that a criminal act by a policeman is far more serious, because he or she is supposed to uphold the law, and not break it.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

We have the best POlice in the World!! Really, we do :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :D :D :D :D

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... ttarget=no
NEW DELHI: On Tuesday, police commissioner B K Gupta told reporters he had spent hours researching sticky bombs. Officers then distributed printouts which ostensibly explained what a sticky bomb is.

The printout stated, "Sticky bombs are a type of explosives crafted from one Bomb and 5 Gel. At point blank range, it can cause a total of 100 damage to mobs and 200 to the player". It also listed 'Statistics' as: Damage 100, Max Stack 50, Shoot Speed 5, Use Time 24, Sell 1.

These seem unusual ingredients for making a bomb. A net search showed the matter seemed to have been downloaded from Terraria Wiki, used by gamers who play online game Terraria.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

He shouldn't have doen that Internet search by himself. Atleast let his kids do it so he would get the right results.

Also shows he has too much free time for Internet.

We will hear an admonishment from mantri/santri.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

:rotfl:

I dont know where we get our honourable civil servants from, but the system needs some fixing...
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

OT

^^^Did you guys see this exposition on Cloud Computing by former IT commissioner Vishwa Bandhu Gupta

As a warning - keep away all kinds of liquids from your computer/laptop while you are watching this and have enough place around you should you have to roll on the floor laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApQlMm39xr0
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

Born with the silver spoon...

Patna SP slaps woman protester; she hits back
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

A sheriff is in principle a legal official with responsibility for a county. In practice, the specific combination of legal, political, and ceremonial duties of a sheriff varies greatly from country to country.

The word "sheriff" is a contraction of the term "shire reeve". The term, from the Old English scīrgerefa, designated a royal official responsible for keeping the peace (a "reeve") throughout a shire or county on behalf of the king.[1] The term was preserved in England notwithstanding the Norman Conquest. From the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms the term spread to several other regions, at an early point to Scotland, latterly to Ireland and the United States.

Sheriffs exists in various countries:

Sheriffs are administrative legal officials (similar to bailiffs) in the Republic of Ireland, Australia, and Canada (with expanded duties in certain provinces).
Sheriffs are judges in Scotland.
Sheriff is a ceremonial position in England, Wales, and India.
In the United States of America the scope of a sheriff varies across states and counties. The sheriff is always a county official and serves as the arm of the county court. In urban areas a sheriff may be restricted to court duties such as administering the county jail, providing courtroom security and prisoner transport, serving warrants, and serving process. Sheriffs may also patrol outside of the city or town limits. In many rural areas, sheriffs and their deputies serve as the principal police force.
gunjur
BRFite

Post by gunjur »

Apologies if already posted.
Eight years ago, faced with rampant corruption, Georgia took a series of drastic steps, among them the overnight sacking of the entire police force. Did it work?
How georgia did it
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

A good video documentary on Kerala Police Recruitment and training. Made by the Police Constables who were part of the Kerala Armed Police 1 Battalion, Ramavarmapuram Thrissur.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Such videos for sure would show case the police recruitment and training in a positive light. The Maratha LI regiment had made a similar video 5-8 back. The video I think was made by external agency, and showed how a recruit finally "transforms" himself to a soldier. The KAP video how ever is a purely home grown effort with all key players being from the Kerala Police itself.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

And then we wonder as to why our system is in the doldrums. This is the case of a Spl. prosecutor. The plight of a constable who has to work nearly 18-20 hours daily and mostly for 7 days a week( hardly ever do they get their alloyed weekly off) can only be imagined.

Poor pay leaves Lokayukta sans spl public prosecutor
It is a post and responsibility many advocates would like to take up, but the salary being offered for the post - Special Public Prosecutor (SPP) of Lokayukta - is driving them away.

A ‘grand’ salary of Rs 10,000 a month and Rs 150 per case for effective hearing, with a maximum of Rs 6,000, is hardly reassuring for the lawyers who would like to take up the post.

It has been nearly three weeks since advocate Umakanthan resigned from this post. Since then, neither the Lokayukta police nor the Upa Lokayukta’s office has submitted any choice for the post.

A large stumbling block to this process is the ridiculously low salary. The SPP handles all the cases tried under the Prevention of Corruption Act in the designated Special Lokayukta Court. Burdened with more than 350 cases, the Bangalore Urban division constitutes 40 per cent of the total cases tried in the State.

In recent days, several high- profile cases pertaining to ministers, ex-ministers, MLAs and other prominent persons have all been making their way to the Lokayukta City Court. The Lokayukta police are keen on engaging the services of a competent advocate. But the competent advocates, when contacted, plainly refused the job because of the low salary.

“The salary expected is at least Rs 30,000. Though they concede that the post will help advance their careers, they simply refuse to accept it, saying they have families to take care of. They even refuse to send the resumes,” a source in the Lokayukta police said.

In addition to the Rs 10,000 salary, the SPPs are paid Rs 150 per case for effective hearing (evidence, main arguments etc), with a maximum of Rs 6,000 for an upper limit of 40 cases. Something ‘not enough to even dry clean our coat,’ an advocate commented.

The demand for increase in the salary has been a long pending and long promised one.

“When the advocates accepted this post, they were promised higher remuneration. But that has not materialised. When there is a heavy case load, it is not even possible to continue private practice. It is very difficult to sustain on the salary being paid,” a government advocate said.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Hot off the press, personal eye witness account.

After the holi fever had passed by, in the afternoon I walked upto Meer ghat at Varanasi on the banks of the Ganges for a look and a stroll.

3 UP police wanted a gent resplendent in holi colours and sleeping under a parasol on the banks to get up and move.

The gent was very drunk and in no capacity to walk or even stand on his own feet. The 3 police beat him up with lathi's until he fell to the ground, with his hands folded begging them to stop the beating - pleading "Mai baap,mai baap"

A woman who seemed to be a relative of the drunk gent, tried to come to his rescue but was at first threatened, then slapped a few times, had a few "m***ch*d" abuses thrown at her and finally threatened with killing and throwing her body in the Ganges.

This is police brutality in broad daylight, in full view of a gaping public which included Indian's and foreigners who rightfully felt powerless to take on the police. It was disgusting.

The gent and the lady were clearly poor. I doubt the police would have acted like this if the people had some money.

Clearly, the police fear no reprisals of any sort. They have become a law unto themselves.

Shame on the UP police.

Even if the gent had broken any laws, such vigilante behaviour is completely out of line. The woman's fault was she simply come to the man's rescue.

The lathi's are a legacy of the British era as are the police attitudes. Since the police are part of state, I choose to believe the state willfully, through the police will remind the public to stay in their place at every opportunity - impose their writ openly through illegal means. They are persistent and unified in this objective.

The praja has to be kept in line.

It is not enough to sing Vande Mataram and talk proudly about our country' heritage. It is far more important to be kind and humane to our own people first.