Google Earth updates more cities and airports in India

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
KrishnaMu
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Google Earth updates more cities and airports in India

Post by KrishnaMu »

What is this on Indo-Pak border in Rajasthan??

Yellow line is border.. Left is Pak, Right is India..
I think yellow line could be slightly wrong as i marked the border fence??
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

--self deleted--
Last edited by AdityaM on 27 Mar 2009 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Why IB4TL?

This is quite a useful and informative thread!!!!
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

sum wrote:Why IB4TL?This is quite a useful and informative thread!!!!
Sorry, my bad!
I mistook this to be a completely new thread! :oops:
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Kesri D
Please check mail. I have located only three sites with the twin sat dishes. There are more for sure, because the dishes also point in various other directions, but GE doesn't yet show those / I haven't been able to study those in detail.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

p_saggu wrote:Kesri D
Please check mail. I have located only three sites with the twin sat dishes. There are more for sure, because the dishes also point in various other directions, but GE doesn't yet show those / I haven't been able to study those in detail.
i got yr post.. Will reply shortly

Kersi
nyema
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nyema »

Kersi D wrote:I have scene and located this "twin sat dish domes" at a couple of other places too.
Those "twin sat dish domes" are troposcatter antennas for over the horizon radio communication. They provide an independent telephone network for the air force. I've recently mapped the indian network: http://rammstein.dfmk.hu/~s200/tropo.html#iaf
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

nyema,
You're right!
Could you link a KML file for all the above. (Including the India-USSR).
Thanks in advance.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

The IAF has an airforce base in Tajikistan where Mig-29 fighters and Mi-8 choppers are based. There is also a Military Hospital there, very close to the Tajikistan-Afghanistan border.
This MH was where Ahmed Shah Masood was taken to after he was assasinated in the camera bomb blast two days before 9-11.

No wonder that the IAF has communications at this place!
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

The IAF has an airforce base in Tajikistan where Mig-29 fighters and Mi-8 choppers are based.
Errr, wasnt the MiG-29 issue still only under discussion? Have we actually based any fighters there?
nyema
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nyema »

p_saggu wrote:No wonder that the IAF has communications at this place!
Well, the Srinagar - Dushanbe tropo link was not for India's own purposes. It was a part of the Moscow - Delhi hotline, and it was developed and built entirely by the russians (soviets) in 1981. The rest of the line used more conventional methods to transfer the signals. The tropo link is no longer active, as using satellites are cheaper, more reliable and give higher bandwidth.

The IAF tropo network is also just a small part of IAF's radio communication network. Some tropo lines look isolated, but they are all connected with line of sight microwave links.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

nyema,
Thanks for the link. This must have taken several internet hours to compile!
How secure is communications in this manner? Do these work on the LOS principle or is the signal bounced off the stratosphere for over the horizon reach?

Yes the IAF now relies more on Microwave links along with fiberoptic cable connections and geosat comm. Next year onwards, the defense services will have an exclusive mil comm satellite.
Kersi D
BRFite

Re:

Post by Kersi D »

Harry wrote:There seem to be a number of vehicles (s300s?) at Bikaner AF?

23 03 N 73 12 E

Harry
Bikaner is nowhere near these coordinates

K
Kersi D
BRFite

Re:

Post by Kersi D »

Ankit Desai wrote:14 47'39.43"N 74 08'09.88"E Silo?!?!
I think this could be the chemical plant of Ballarpur Industries Ltd

K
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Just like Google earth, microsoft has the "Virtual Earth"

Now Hyderabad - Rajiv Gandhi International Airport is available on High resolution. It is interesting to note the location of the airport and the direction of the runway. Any flight towards the east with the passenger looking north will get a nice cozy view of :shock: .

I wonder if anything in India ever has a security implication, and if the agencies ever screen such things. There certainly is NO NO-FLY-ZONE here. If there ever was a place which deserved one, this place does not have it.

The airport and the runway is actually a threat with national security implications.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Halwara AFB, has finally been displayed in High resolution on Google Earth.

There is a $hit load of Mig-29s and Mig-23/27s around the base. :eek: :eek:
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

There are quite a few air bases in "fairly" high resolution which many of us may not even heard of !!!
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

I was browsing through taiwan and found that some of the sites have been censored for example

http://wikimapia.org/10932816/Censored-Naval-Area

Is it just a special case for taiwan or is it with every other country?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

It is interesting (and typical of the "world order that Arunachal Pradesh and vast areas of India have borders marked in red on Google Earth to indicate disputed territory, but not Taiwan, or for that matter the Falklands.

Is this because we Indians just take things lying down?

Gosh look at the rush of Indians proudly proclaiming that they work for Google..
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

^^ I have seen quite a few who always are seen wearing Google t-shirts! Probably working for Google is a matter of greater pride than being an Indian.
People are busy putting their names on wikimapia but no one bothers to mark these sensitive territories.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Chinese runways/airfields in Tibet:

Runway in Tibet - 5 Km long 3800 meters up
Lat: 29°21'22.97"N
Long: 89°18'15.37"E

Runway - 3 km long 13 Km rom Arunachal Pradesh border
Lat: 29°18'12.80"N
Long: 94°19'55.22"E
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

I can upload my collection of chinese airfields, including some which are not visible on GE.

The surprising thing is that some borders areas of uttranchal and himachal with Tibet are also marked in red, indicating the disputed nature of the border.

Finally about Demchock in J&K, although the whole southern part of the eastern border of J&K is shown to be in the hands of the chinese, I can see Indian border posts in the middle of Demchock, and along a line, halfway through that area. Has there been a partial settlement of the borders there? Demchock itself seems to be half in indian and half in chinese hands.

I also have all the IAF and IN bases marked out, in case any one is interested. I do understand, that being on google earth, these are open for all to see, and the enemy probably has better sources of satellite photography than google earth. I would recommend being open about any infrastructure that is visible, without identifying what a certain building represents, or identifying a structure that is not yet visible on GE.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

shiv wrote:Chinese runways/airfields in Tibet:

Runway in Tibet - 5 Km long 3800 meters up
Lat: 29°21'22.97"N
Long: 89°18'15.37"E
This is the 5 Km Shigaste airfield. They also have another 5 Km airfield under construction, not visible on GE, at Shiquanhe around these coordinates 32°28'41.79"N 80° 5'52.05"E
shiv wrote:Runway - 3 km long 13 Km rom Arunachal Pradesh border
Lat: 29°18'12.80"N
Long: 94°19'55.22"E
This is the Nyingchi Airport, right at the arunachal border, well within artillery range of our troops. The interesting thing to note is that this airport is CAT III capable, which I think only Delhi airport is capable of in India. There is no nearby town of importance here, and this is purely supposed to be a military airfield, with occasional civilian flights, mostly catering to the military folks.

Shiv-ji if you can mail me your email address, I can send you the google earth placemarks of the stuff I have. my mail is omettebread at yahoo dot com
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Talking of maps with disputed boundaries, we has been using one with 'Cashmere'-the POK part, Aksai Chin and AP marked as part of India but withthe their boundaries in soft white lines clearly refering to their disputed status. Moi raised a hue and cry and after "whats the big deal" from powers that be argument, simply refused to work on the assignment if themap is not removed. And finally it was.....small victory for this SDRE Yindoo bania...... :D
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

p_saggu wrote:I can upload my collection of chinese airfields, including some which are not visible on GE.

psaggu I have always wondered why we on BR take so much trouble to maintain a whole thread on Indian landmarks on Google Earth and do not maintain any record of Chinses or Paki installations. It's almost like waving into a TV camera in a cricket ground to say "Look Ma I am here" - you never say - look Ma Laxman is sitting there.

Why not make your whole list public if that is not a problem?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shiv wrote:
p_saggu wrote:I can upload my collection of chinese airfields, including some which are not visible on GE.

psaggu I have always wondered why we on BR take so much trouble to maintain a whole thread on Indian landmarks on Google Earth and do not maintain any record of Chinses or Paki installations.
oh we have a secret forum where we post that kind ofstuff ;)

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.p ... d=1#import (4086 downloads but that was long time ago and probably there are more updated KMZs out there)

Chinese airfields - I will leave it to others
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

by the way talking about useful interpretations - count the number of hardened blastpens in Sargodha Air Base - yep 87 of em! :mrgreen: not counting another half a dozen hangars and sheds.

Add other targets - ammo dumps, aa guns, missile sites, camoflaged open parking areas. the only viable counter air operation would be to take out the runways.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

How do I upload placemarks? On rapidshare? Can't I do this on google earth and do some 'samaj sewa' specially for the paki and chinese sites?
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

OK here it is - my collection of Videshi Maal. Includes:
1. Spaceports Russia and China
2. Miscell - World
3. Afghanistan
4. Pakistan
5. China

Click: http://rapidshare.com/files/255588317/V ... l.kml.html

These include nearly all pak airfields, nuclear and strategic sites. Nearly all chinese airfields. Much of Pakistan is from Jagan's google webpage.

I also have a similar Desi KMZ. Which I will share only by email.
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

p_saggu wrote:The IAF has an airforce base in Tajikistan where Mig-29 fighters and Mi-8 choppers are based. There is also a Military Hospital there, very close to the Tajikistan-Afghanistan border.
This MH was where Ahmed Shah Masood was taken to after he was assasinated in the camera bomb blast two days before 9-11.

No wonder that the IAF has communications at this place!
Sagguji...you are doing a great job...kudos to you. I found the base on google maps...but no fighters there...anyways my intention was to see if the base is protected by SA missile sites...if no problems...let us know what your observations are..

Thanks
Venky
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Farkhor AFB in tajikistan, was supposed to have been online since 2007. There have been no media reports about it ever since. The google earth image is not updated. Bing doesn't even have a high res image.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

p_saggu wrote: I also have a similar Desi KMZ. Which I will share only by email.
I would like to have it, my gmail id is kakarat2001
arjun_vs
BRFite -Trainee

Post by arjun_vs »

p_saggu wrote:OK here it is - my collection of Videshi Maal. Includes:
1. Spaceports Russia and China
2. Miscell - World
3. Afghanistan
4. Pakistan
5. China

Click: http://rapidshare.com/files/255588317/V ... l.kml.html

These include nearly all pak airfields, nuclear and strategic sites. Nearly all chinese airfields. Much of Pakistan is from Jagan's google webpage.

I also have a similar Desi KMZ. Which I will share only by email.
saggu saab when i clicked this link it says the limit has reached :( . Wat should i do to get this really hot maal :?:
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

For now here is a different link again: http://rapidshare.com/files/255785147/V ... l.kmz.html

This too has a ten downloads / 90 days limit onlee. :evil:

Here is the link to the Google Earth Community - Jagan's page, with my post "Omlettebread" at the end. Download from there.Jagan's page

Download link
yogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yogi »

shiv wrote:It is interesting (and typical of the "world order that Arunachal Pradesh and vast areas of India have borders marked in red on Google Earth to indicate disputed territory, but not Taiwan, or for that matter the Falklands.

Is this because we Indians just take things lying down?

Gosh look at the rush of Indians proudly proclaiming that they work for Google..
To add to this, in google maps, all the cities and points in Arunachal now show their names in Chinese alphabet (just like Tibet or the rest of china). Its pretty insulting. Can we lodge a protest with Google somewhere about this?
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

If GOI is going to sit on its A$$ and do nothing, this is bound to happen.
Any map within India has to have J&K shown as complete part of India - no lines running through any where - period.
Google and other maps on the net, microsoft et al have to be told they will have their services and offices in India closed, if this is not in accordance with India's wishes. India has to be very touchy-feely about this for a while, so that everyone will get disciplined. Otherwise there will be a tendency to do what the chinese want. These seemingly small things tend to add up, and history gets created.

The chinese withdrew / were pushed back from arunachal in 65. They have no locus standi or claim to that territory.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

From China

If you're in the intelligence business, Google Earth makes hiding big things nearly impossible. This image is believed to be of a 1.8-square-mile scale model of a disputed region on the border of China and India. Google Earth spotters found it in a remote area in north central China (Google Earth coordinates 38.265652,105.9517)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/134186-6 ... earth.html :shock:

Why would they need such a thing? War Simulation?

News from Aus paper says that it is used to train the tank drivers...
http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/chine ... 17781.html

On Google Maps-
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.26565 ... &hl=en&t=h
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

This is the north eastern part of J&K including Aksai Chin. The pagong tso is visible.
The idea is that from the perspective of the height of a human being, this would resemble a fighter aircraft flying over the mountains.
This seems to be a relic of the era when 3 D maps on the computer did not exist. But still it is a very relevant tool to have. It depends on the level of detail that they have on the map. If they have roads and armed forces positions marked out, this can be a very very useful tool to devise strategy and conduct military dry runs.
Shows the seriousness the chinese attach to eastern J&K. I am sure back in India there would have been paper maps only for a very long time. Now of course there are 3D comp maps.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

Gurus is there a way we can hide a location on google earth or somewhere.This moron from live fist has posted a pic of atv's ship building center