Artillery Discussion Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Re: Artillery Discussion Thread

Post by abhik »

Karan M wrote:Where are the FH77s though.. Agree that the M777 isn't as capable, though lighter.. The OFB one is easily a year plus out provided it makes it through trials...if the MOD had any sense they would have asked Bharat Forge, Kalyani etc to accelerate their DandD, instead of putting all their eggs in the OFB basket.
The M777s aren't fast food either. And we are close, one year isn't really that much. AKA has sat on deals for far longer. AFAIK an initial order for 100+ units has already been given. As far as DRDO is considered, IMHO it should stop designing its own gun and give consultancy to both OFB and Bahrat Forge. They should help build up OFB's R&D capability and guide BF as they are new at this. It would be wonderful if we end up with two self sufficient organisations which can design and build artillery on their own.
Anyway as things stand the US line is supposed to close next month(IIRC). And this deal hasn't been given the green signal, the government chose to spend what little money they had allocated for new equipment on T90s and C-130s over this it seems.
pankajs wrote:Thanks .. Yes M198

Do you propose that we import M198 from the US?
BTW the pakis have got hundreds of second hand M198s and M109s from USA on the cheap(may be free too). An avenue we unfortunately have never never explored.
How long will an indigenous effort to build a similar gun take in your estimate?
Why would we want to? For the short term MoD and IA ia already invested in the OFB's FH77.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

abhik wrote:
pankajs wrote:How long will an indigenous effort to build a similar gun take in your estimate?
Why would we want to? For the short term MoD and IA ia already invested in the OFB's FH77.
Quite right .. I just wanted to be clear that the choice is only and only between 155/39 ULH M777 and the 155/39 conventional FH77 (Bofors tot based OFB version). There is nothing else, leaving aside another import, that can be inducted given the timelines on the Mountain strike crops.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

^^^
The MSC are going to take the rest of the decade to be fully formed. Its wrong to say that they absolutely need them tomorrow(literally). But still one of the fastest and most cost effective solutions might be getting second hand M198 from America. if they have any left that is.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Induct now is a way for MMS to give US some baksheesh which they feel they deserve for the 'IUCNA' deal.

if it has clause that India will get to examine condition of hdw that US gifts TSP then am for it.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

rohitvats wrote: So, for starters, I was revisiting this slung-under-Chinook mobility argument from our geography perspective - and it turns out that Chinook might well not have carte-blanche in terms of operating with a gun slung under it. But that does not mean artillery cannot be moved in mountains with Chinook.
There are two issues here:-
1) Viability of heli transporting the artillery in our terrain.
2) The number of pertinent helicopters required to transport and then sustain a number of guns so that it is operationally significant and justifies the enormous cost. To quote the cliche :-
Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics

You're investigating 1 but not 2. Both 1 and 2 have to be satisfied for this whole thing to be valid.
Let me put here two GE snapshots of potential routes to transport a gun-slung-under-a-Chinook from one valley to another. The lower part of the pics show the elevation profile for each route. These valleys are same which were considered in my earlier post covering areas north of Tawang and close to LAC - which can be seen as a red line on the map.

(a) First picture shows a lateral route from one valley to another going over the mountain ridge line.

(b)Second shows the movement between valley through interconnecting valleys.
Even the Chinook will find it difficult to accomplish (a). If it were to fly along the valley there should be ideally be a road present in the route making heli transport redundant, no?
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

ramana wrote:Induct now is a way for MMS to give US some baksheesh which they feel they deserve for the 'IUCNA' deal.

if it has clause that India will get to examine condition of hdw that US gifts TSP then am for it.
I'd bet we would be buying the XM2001 Crusader if that were the only artillery being made in the USA.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Both USA and Soviet Union-Russia used non-automated 155-152mm howitzers namely M198 and 2A65. The weight was around 7 tons for 1970s technology guns. Hence a stripped down non-automated OFB 155mm howitzers will also weight around 6-7 tons vs 4.5 tons of M777.

We have to stop ourselves and ask the cost of 1000 M 777 and 100 Chinooks and it would be around USD 20 Billion. The issue is whether this money is better spent on:-

Roads, Railways
105mm howitzers and OFB 155 automated and bare howitzers
Pinaka and Prahar in lighter configuration, similar to Russian & US concepts
Nag missile mounted on lighter platforms + SAMHO
LCA, LCH, Rustom for CAS

Or we want US gold plated solutions which will be sanctioned in time of War to help fill Swiss accounts of poor politicians and honest Generals through single nominated vendor deals without competition.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

vic wrote:Both USA and Soviet Union-Russia used non-automated 155-152mm howitzers namely M198 and 2A65. The weight was around 7 tons for 1970s technology guns. Hence a stripped down non-automated OFB 155mm howitzers will also weight around 6-7 tons vs 4.5 tons of M777.
And a desi ULH will weigh around 3.5 tons so why not ask for a desi ULH for the MSC? After all both are paper products but mine solution is lighter.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

abhik wrote: There are two issues here:-
1) Viability of heli transporting the artillery in our terrain.
2) The number of pertinent helicopters required to transport and then sustain a number of guns so that it is operationally significant and justifies the enormous cost. To quote the cliche :-
Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics

You're investigating 1 but not 2. Both 1 and 2 have to be satisfied for this whole thing to be valid.

What is quite obvious from your posts is that you're sticking to a position and then looking for arguments to support it. It would help everyone if you made an effort to read and learn. Quoting a figure and there and then building a complete argument around it does not make an informed argument.

And since you're concerned about logistics - how about doing some homework? Since you 'think' it will not work, why don't you tell us why it would not work? And while you're at it, do answer these questions to prove your hypothesis:

1. What capability are we considering in terms of helicopter lift? 1 x Battery (6 guns) or 2 x batteries (12 guns) or one whole regiment (18 guns). How many CH-47 choppers would be required in each case? Please ensure that you factor into account the requirement to move personnel as well as first line of ammunition.

2. What is ammunition consumption considered for the number of guns airlifted and consequently, what would be the replenishment rate required? And what would be the air-maintenance effort required for this?

Let us have you analysis on the above before you make assertion that it will not work.

Secondly, Indian Army has 2 x Para Artillery Regiments which are trained for air-drop using 105mm guns. You think such a capability is sustainable?

Even the Chinook will find it difficult to accomplish (a). If it were to fly along the valley there should be ideally be a road present in the route making heli transport redundant, no?
The GE snapshots were taken simply as example for possible scenario. And have these two things occurred to you:

1. Enemy is not going to oblige you my entering through areas most convenient to 'YOU'? And you cannot simply build roads everywhere.

2. The guns are required for movement into enemy territory - what I showed in the GE snapshot was simply movement of guns inside Indian territory. Those guns are expected for movement inside enemy territory - all other guns are going to stay put in their locations in depth inside Indian territory - the MSC is expected to fight a battle inside Tibet. And will want an artillery which can move with it. The quantum of sch guns required will depend on how they intend to fight their battles - what depth have they envisaged and the attendant targets.

Even in case of these guns with defensive formations, you can never tell where you're going to require fire-support. And the mobility of your troops is hindered if they are expected to operate under fire-support cover fixed in terms of its range and width. And which will receive all the love and affection of enemy.
Last edited by rohitvats on 19 Sep 2013 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

And to all the geniuses comparing 4.2 tonnes of M-777 with 7 tonnes of mythical OFB gun - please check why LFG was developed by reducing the weight of IFG further (albeit limited reduction) for use in mountains. In mountainous terrains, 1 ton extra is 1 ton extra.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

To the import lovers, M777 is 2 tons heavier than 105mm LFG
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

vic wrote:To the import lovers, M777 is 2 tons heavier than 105mm LFG
But with a 155 mm caliber and still better than being 5 tonnes heavier.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

abhik wrote:^^^
The MSC are going to take the rest of the decade to be fully formed. Its wrong to say that they absolutely need them tomorrow(literally). But still one of the fastest and most cost effective solutions might be getting second hand M198 from America. if they have any left that is.
Agree..

However, the availability of the Guns can't be left for the last year. Procurement/Production, induction and training take time. The procurement of weapon systems is a lengthy process with delivery continuing five to six years after the order is placed. I think we have already gone past the comfort zone; stop gap IFG/LFG procurement the proof (For the two mountain divisions on the Indo-China border). The Guns should at least start flowing by 2015 end or the MSC will be without adequate Guns of the Calibre they need by 2020.

Given the progress so far on the Bofors tot based OFB FH77, I for one believe going for 145 M777 is a pragmatic decision just on the timelines. It has other merits as pointed out by others folks but that is not even my consideration here.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

RV, I feel the price to us for the M777 is rather usurious. Comments?

With the debt ceiling kicking in again, for the US , in Oct, I feel we should twist their arms for whatever we can get.

To me Carney blabbering about JDs for the javelin, EMAL, etc. is another way to try and fill their coffers (And why not? its their interest at heart). It is definitely not out of a new found love!

But we should rock the boat so as to make them deviate from their equal equal policy wrt the Pakis and the Khan's stupid "balance of power". Time to bania khujli them for the best deals in tech and price.
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

Along with the other half-baked notions masquerading as facts it is time to put to bed the notion that the more expensive FMS route is something that India is forced to go down by the evil Americans.

If our tendering processes were more realistic, our OFB was not incompetent and corrupt (the Singapore Technologies saga which ironically would have been a possible vendor), and we would not froth at the mouth every time the US offered TOT with strings attached, we could establish a more mature and equitable procurement relationship with the US.

Ironically, as was seen in the case of the C-17, the vendor itself would offer help in going down a non-FMS route. Since we can't do that let us take out our accumulated frustration on a weapon system we don't know the first thing about from an operational perspective.

Brilliant!
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

rajanb wrote:RV, I feel the price to us for the M777 is rather usurious. Comments?<SNIP>
There are multiple angles with respect to this M-777 purchase. Here are some thoughts:

1. All the argument so far has explored the M-777 purchase from the MSC requirement angle. But we need to remember that RFP for this gun was floated much before we even heard of MSC – at least in open domain.

2. Another very important point - the numbers of CH-47 being purchased is determined by calculations of IAF and not Indian Army. In the entire matrix of helicopter borne operations conducted by the IAF, heavy lift requiring CH-47 class of helicopters would form a percentage of requirements. And this requirement would be spread across geographies. The way I see it, IAF may well deploy 1 x CH-47 squadron each for northern and eastern theaters. But does providing air-lift for M-777 guns for MSC figure in this calculation? We’ve no way to know that. And I’d hazard the guess that it does not.

3. The steep price for raising a single MSC makes me believe that it will have organic helicopter support. And CH-47 may well be part of this set-up. We need to remember that IA has been pushing for control over Mi-17 class of helicopters for quite some time – and it is important they have such helicopters if they want to implement 3rd dimension angle.

4. Keeping all the above in consideration, I’m therefore of the opinion that IA is looking at using M-777 for current formations deployed in serious mountain territory in the east. These would be divisions under Eastern Command.

5. 145 guns translate into 08 regiments – and 33 Corps, 3 Corps and 4 Corps have 9 divisions under it each with on artillery brigade. And while each division under these Corps may not get M-777, some will do.

6. It is likely that IA is looking to introduce 1xM777 regiment per artillery brigades with rest being 105mm LFG. At the end of the day, M-777 is a very expensive system and only certain amount of guns can be inducted. For comparison sake, a 2011 Business Standard article states that 1,580 155/52 Cal guns were to cost 8,000Crore while 145 ULWH were to cost 3,000Crore. Basically, ULWH is 4 times costlier than a traditional howitzer. Caveat here being that while 145 guns will come from foreign manufacturer, bulk of 155/52 Cal guns will be manufactured in India.

7. As for the utility of this gun – well, let’s understand that every extra ton of weight in mountains is one ton too many. And while it is easy to talk about building two lane all-weather roads and such stuff, it is not going to happen anytime soon. A decade is more likely. All this talk of OFB gun weighing ONLY 7 tons and being an alternative for M-777 is complete nonsense – as is the fancy talk of deploying twice the domestic artillery guns and all that.

8. Will this purchase be followed by larger purchase of M-777 – I don’t know. But I do know that IA is absolutely sold on 155/52 Cal and M-777 purchase will again be for niche roles. Organic helicopter airlift capability will be reality in IA and options which allow rapid movement in mountains will be pursued.

9. As for MSC, depending upon the tasks assigned to it, I would not be surprised if all guns under the Corps are a mix of IFG and M-777 type.
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

The M-777 order will finally exceed 1000+ guns, I think with local assembly, the cost will go down. I hope the truck mounted TATA is also ordered in large numbers.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

So the home made 155 mm prijects get killed off and indian arty development is set back by 30 to 40 years at least.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

as I have always said, finding the capex is never a issue with foreign eqpt.
its always domestic projects that bear the brunt of austerity and tough times.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Pratyush wrote:So the home made 155 mm prijects get killed off and indian arty development is set back by 30 to 40 years at least.
The total requirement for artillery under the Field Artillery Rationalization Plan is as follows:

1. Towed – 1,580
2. Mounted – 814
3. SP (Wheeled) – 180
4. SP (Tracked) – 100

Total – 2,674 guns

To this, 145 ULWH have been added and total now stands at 2,819 guns.

Now, a bulk of this requirement of towed guns is for divisions in the plain. And you’ve the three artillery divisions to be equipped as well. The balance will go the mountain formations. So, I’m not too sure where those 1,000 M-777 will even fit. In fact, if you even equip ten mountain divisions with four M-777 regiments each, the total comes out to be 720. One Equity Research Report that I read stated M-777 numbers as 145 + 290.

However, if you ask me, the overall numbers required will be more than the total above. The reason being, we’re looking to re-arm 220 Artillery Regiments while the above number (not considering 290 M-777 guns) suffices only for 156 regiments.

So, there is enough scope for development and absorption of domestic gun. In fact, DRDO should revive Bhim SP now that Denel’s 10-year blacklisting period is over (or almost over)
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

@RV Thanks :)
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Re: air portability, the C-130 & C-17 can carry twice the number of M777 than regular guns and can operate off unprepared ground. They can fly into ALGs and let the Mi-17 and Chinook take over from there.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

RV what is the difference between wheeled sp gun and mounted gun. IMO, they are 2 names for the same gun. Now, if we are speaking of towed guns, then it is my belief, that once, the m777 comes through, the domestic designs will be given a go by.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Pratyush wrote:RV what is the difference between wheeled sp gun and mounted gun. IMO, they are 2 names for the same gun. Now, if we are speaking of towed guns, then it is my belief, that once, the m777 comes through, the domestic designs will be given a go by.
Wheeled SP:

Mounted SP:

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

One important advantage of mounted gun:

A towed gun along with its Field Artillery Tractor (FAT) forms long chain - Plus, the travel length of the gun also needs to be taken into account. Your roads (and bends and curves therein) need to be designed from ground up to ensure that FAT+Gun combo can traverse them - which might not always be the case. Compare these numbers:

Caesar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAESAR_sel ... d_howitzer)
Weight 17.7 tonnes
Length 10 m (32 ft 10 in)
Width 2.55 m (8 ft 4 in)
Height 3.7 m (12 ft 2 in) (This is higher as gun is stored at an angle and protrudes over the vehicle silhouette)

FH77b05 - 155mm Bofors

Weight 13.10 tonnes
Lenght 13.71 m; (for guns, traveling length is different from deployed length - I don't know which one is this)
Width 2.74 m;
Height 2.89 m

The mounted gun is shorter in length than the full-blown howitzer - which means it can go places where towed 'might' not be able to do - plus it can move into and out of firing positions that much quickly. And width is less too.

And it would have lesser logistic foot-print as well. And most of them are designed from ground-up for deployment by air. Caesar can be accommodated in C-130 and A-400.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

OK I am thoroughly confused looking at the IA's arty programmes. If they have the same deffinition of wheeled sp as yours. Cause the tracked SPH and the wheeled designes are essentally in the same category. In terms od weitht and capability. iirc, their was a project which mated the pzh 2000 turet with the g6 hull. So why have the wheeled sph catagory to begin with. Why not merge the requirement with the tracked one. There by achieving economies of scale.

PS globally, the ceasar and its equivalents are considered wheeled sphs.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

It's pretty impressive that a weight reduction of more than 1 ton was achieved from IFG to LFG.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Pratyush wrote:OK I am thoroughly confused looking at the IA's arty programmes. If they have the same deffinition of wheeled sp as yours. Cause the tracked SPH and the wheeled designes are essentally in the same category. In terms od weitht and capability. iirc, their was a project which mated the pzh 2000 turet with the g6 hull. So why have the wheeled sph catagory to begin with. Why not merge the requirement with the tracked one. There by achieving economies of scale.

PS globally, the ceasar and its equivalents are considered wheeled sphs.
Even I've no clue why we have the Tracked and Wheeled SP number - and both of them combined form only 280 units.

Having said that - one argument that I've heard/read is that there are certain areas where terrain does not suit the tracked vehicles. And hence, wheeled SP version. Though, Mr. Sengupta in one of his articles has a less charitable explanation.

That is why when the competition opened up for SP guns, I was rooting for German gun - same gun was offered on two different platforms. In other cases, wheeled SP does not exist. That is why getting the Bhim SP gun is of utmost importance - same gun on Arjun and wheeled chassis.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Adding further masala to the discussion -

Here is a GE image along potential movement route from India to Tibet - the route enters Tibet close to Zemithang which is slightly ahead of of the place where the Battle of Namka Chu was fought in 1962.

In this case, the chopper is expected to fly along the river valley in south to north direction and then, using the east-west valley, enter the Tibetan Plateau. The route ends at a place called Cona in Tibet which seems to be an important military node in the area. The total distance is ~50 km.

In this case, I've mapped the route along the walls of mountains on one side of the river valley to mimic the altitude at which a Chopper might be flying. Mapping is not very accurate but should give you the idea.

Now, interesting thing to note is that while most of river valley is between 7K-10K feet altitude, the end point on Tibetan Plateau is at 15K+ feet altitude. The red arrow is at a location ON Tibetan Plateau. The chopper while going west to east to reach the Tibetan Plateau will witness a sharp altitude gain. It will go from 10K feet to 15K feet

Here is the close up of the route when chopper goes from river valley to Tibetan Plateau.

Long story short - Border areas will need to be mapped extensively and routes of ingress and egress will need to be identified in advance. And this altitude and geography issue will mean MSC (as we understand it) cannot simply be deployed anywhere across the border. It will be used to gain the maximum advantage possible and will entail substantial risks.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Any argument against import lobby is termed as nonsense without giving any coherent reason. The import lobby is asking us to believe that M777 will be air lifted into Tibet while rest of men, material, ammo, radars, air defense systems, ATGMs, trucks, jeeps, digging in equipment, comms, generators, tents, food etc which will weight 100 times more will move into Tibet on flying carpets. All this will happen while Chinese will be sleeping.

While import lobby says that we must save one ton by spending USD 20 billion but why Prahaar cannot be used to fire from well within India deep into enemy territory? For USD 20 Billion we can get 120,000 guided Prahaar missiles equivalent to 12,000,000 shells of 155 caliber.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

rohitvats wrote: And since you're concerned about logistics - how about doing some homework? Since you 'think' it will not work, why don't you tell us why it would not work? And while you're at it, do answer these questions to prove your hypothesis:

1. What capability are we considering in terms of helicopter lift? 1 x Battery (6 guns) or 2 x batteries (12 guns) or one whole regiment (18 guns). How many CH-47 choppers would be required in each case? Please ensure that you factor into account the requirement to move personnel as well as first line of ammunition.

2. What is ammunition consumption considered for the number of guns airlifted and consequently, what would be the replenishment rate required? And what would be the air-maintenance effort required for this?
Since you have asked here are my estimations for just supply of ammunition for 6 guns(1 Battery)
Following are the assumptions:-
1) Weight per “unit” ammunition is assumed to be at 60kg. Each “unit” here is one 155mm shell + charge + packaging material.
2) Lets assume that the Battery is in the thick of it and its guns are firing for 2 hours per day at max sustained RoF which is claimed to be 2 per minute. That translates to 2 x 2 x 60 = 240 units of ammunition per gun. At 60kg per unit we arrive at a total ammunition weight of 240 x 60 = 14,400kg. For 6 guns it is 14,000 x 6 = 86,400kg.
3) Assume the helicopters doing the supply are CH-47 chinooks.
4) Now ideally the CH-47 can lift a little less than 11,000 kg, but it is common knowledge that helicopters rapidly lose lifting capability with rise in altitude and temperature. Boeing's own PR material claims that its lift capability is only ~1,200kg at 20,000ft, an almost 10x drop. While that might be an extreme, in our context the entire eastern front is more or less high altitude. In the valleys the elevation may be lower say 6000-10,000ft and it payload would be higher. But if it were required to higher up, clear ridges etc of elevation of 12,000-16,000ft the payload would much lower. Tibet itself is at an average elevation of 16,000ft. For the purpose of this exercise I am assuming that the CH-47 will be on average carrying half it max payload i.e ~5,500kg.
So to fulfil a day’s ammo transportations needs of 86,400kg one would require 86400/5500 = 15.7, lets round it up to 16.
5) To arrive at the number of CH-47s required we need to figure out how many trips that the it can make in a day. Now this is dependent on how far the the helicopter has to travel, up time etc. For arguments sake lets take this figure to be 4 trips per day.
Using these figures we arrive at 16/4 = 4 Chinook Heavy Lift helicopters required exclusively to supply only the ammo for just 6 guns.
Now lets compare this with the actual number of heavy lift helicopters we have committed to buy( and not some wet dream of armchair generals). This number has be reported to be around 12-15(Some even reporting that it may be only 6). Its important to note that these helis are being bought by the IAF and there is absolutely no reason to believe all of them will be deputed exclusively for transporting artillery ammo for the M777, there are a hundred other things it might be required to do. Furthermore only a part of the fleet will even be in the vicinity to be able to take part. So in the end the IAF may be able to spare only say 2-4 helicopters out of the 12-15 as opposed to the requirement of 4 to satisfy the ammo supply needs of just 6 guns. We may not have the capability to sustain even 6 guns let alone 145 in a high tempo war via heli transport. And people are talking of 900+ M777s. You can dispute some of the assumptions I have made but the discrepancy between the quantity of air assets required and the actual quantity we have or realistically have in the future is in the order of a magnitude.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

rohitvats wrote:What is quite obvious from your posts is that you're sticking to a position and then looking for arguments to support it. It would help everyone if you made an effort to read and learn. Quoting a figure and there and then building a complete argument around it does not make an informed argument.
Au contraire, it seems to me you have taken it upon yourself to prove that the M777s and its purported USP of air deployment are such a great Idea. I thought it was BS and I called it out. Your analysis and justifications are full of dubious assumptions. For example this:-
The guns are required for movement into enemy territory - what I showed in the GE snapshot was simply movement of guns inside Indian territory. Those guns are expected for movement inside enemy territory - all other guns are going to stay put in their locations in depth inside Indian territory - the MSC is expected to fight a battle inside Tibet. And will want an artillery which can move with it. The quantum of sch guns required will depend on how they intend to fight their battles - what depth have they envisaged and the attendant targets.

Even in case of these guns with defensive formations, you can never tell where you're going to require fire-support. And the mobility of your troops is hindered if they are expected to operate under fire-support cover fixed in terms of its range and width. And which will receive all the love and affection of enemy.

Vic has already pointed it out, so I'll just quote him
vic wrote:Any argument against import lobby is termed as nonsense without giving any coherent reason. The import lobby is asking us to believe that M777 will be air lifted into Tibet while rest of men, material, ammo, radars, air defense systems, ATGMs, trucks, jeeps, digging in equipment, comms, generators, tents, food etc which will weight 100 times more will move into Tibet on flying carpets. All this will happen while Chinese will be sleeping.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

rohitvats wrote: 2. Another very important point - the numbers of CH-47 being purchased is determined by calculations of IAF and not Indian Army. In the entire matrix of helicopter borne operations conducted by the IAF, heavy lift requiring CH-47 class of helicopters would form a percentage of requirements. And this requirement would be spread across geographies. The way I see it, IAF may well deploy 1 x CH-47 squadron each for northern and eastern theaters. But does providing air-lift for M-777 guns for MSC figure in this calculation? We’ve no way to know that. And I’d hazard the guess that it does not.
Forget Chinooks. M777 is well within the ferry capacity of Mi17. Has this been tested? The numbers say it should be possible
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

vic wrote:The import lobby is asking us to believe that M777 will be air lifted into Tibet while rest of men, material, ammo, radars, air defense systems, ATGMs, trucks, jeeps, digging in equipment, comms, generators, tents, food etc which will weight 100 times more will move into Tibet on flying carpets. All this will happen while Chinese will be sleeping.
All this may indeed happen while the Chinese (and pakis) are sleeping (ie. at night) but its a timing issue, what's that got to do with M777? We will leave the flying carpets to the djinn-powered paki army but a combination of Chinooks, C-17 and C-130 definitely can land the M777 guns and a strike corps in Tibet or PoK. What is so difficult to understand about this?
While import lobby says that we must save one ton by spending USD 20 billion but why Prahaar cannot be used to fire from well within India deep into enemy territory? For USD 20 Billion we can get 120,000 guided Prahaar missiles equivalent to 12,000,000 shells of 155 caliber.
What is this mythical "one ton"? When will the Prahaar be ready for induction? What will be its range? What is its CEP? What do you mean by "deep inside enemy territory"? Your answers will give you some indication of the fruitlessness of your argument. And what does USD 20 billion and 12 million 155mm shells have to do with M777 or Chinooks? Last I heard we were looking to buy 145 guns and 6 Chinooks for about 1 billion.

Dogged attempts to suggest that all game-changing weapons purchases (M777, Apache, Chinook, Rafale) should be dropped and the experimental projects (desi bofors, prahaar etc) which may or may not appear should be purchased instead simply lend weight to the general belief in some armed forces quarters that the DPSUs are the pakis and chinese secret weapon.

I will repeat, only pakis and chinese should be bothered by these weapons, not BRFites.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

koti wrote: Forget Chinooks. M777 is well within the ferry capacity of Mi17. Has this been tested? The numbers say it should be possible
Definitely the Mi17 can carry the M777 but the Chinook can carry twice as much. With its twin rotors it will have an advantage in higher altitudes which is one reason it is used in Afg.
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

abhik wrote:Vic has already pointed it out, so I'll just quote him
vic wrote:Any argument against import lobby is termed as nonsense without giving any coherent reason. The import lobby is asking us to believe that M777 will be air lifted into Tibet while rest of men, material, ammo, radars, air defense systems, ATGMs, trucks, jeeps, digging in equipment, comms, generators, tents, food etc which will weight 100 times more will move into Tibet on flying carpets. All this will happen while Chinese will be sleeping.
Who said the chinooks are being bought exclusively for the M777s ? Any offensive war in Tibet will mean organic heli lift capability. I believe rohitvats has pointed this out multiple times, IIRC deducing it from the 60k crore price tag for the MSC. Out of whatever tonnage of lift that the MSC will have available, some will be heavy lift, the role Chinooks will fill. This doesn't mean there won't be medium lift helis in the form of Mi-17s or that the Mi-17s makes the case for heavy lift moot. If that were the case why have the Mi17s and just do away with it in lieu of the ALH ? The IAF has always had heavy, medium and light lift capabilities in both fixed wing and rotary. vic or for the matter you haven't pointed shit out, other than talking in circles that is.

The whole Chinese won't be sleeping argument is just as absurd as the rest. If them not sleeping is the only way we can tiptoe into Tibet, why plan to have the MSC at all ?
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

abhik wrote:^^^
Lots of them left in Afghanistan and unkil wants to sell cheap. See this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/911571_.html

The pakis want these
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

abhik wrote:Au contraire, it seems to me you have taken it upon yourself to prove that the M777s and its purported USP of air deployment are such a great Idea. I thought it was BS and I called it out.
There is grand total of one post by you where you've done some analysis - rest every other post is on the lines of casual discussion over a cigarette at corner pan-wala. So spare me this holier-than-thou argument.

As for what I've done or not done, well, let the others decide. Unlike you, I'm not putting arguments to defend a particular position I've taken - or, I would not have put up those GE charts which clearly show that moving anything by helicopters from Indian side to Tibetan plateau in depth will be an issue. At least I'm making an effort to look at all sides of an argument and see what is likely to work best - and not make off the cuff remarks.

The idea to read other person's post, try and see if the arguments make sense, if they add anything to your position or take away from it and then reach a decision. You're going around making comments as if you do helicopter flying with under-slung loads for a living and know everything inside out. Doesn't work. All of us are arm-chair generals and whatever we write here is based on what we're read or heard or discussed - the quality of your post depends upon the depth of this exercise before you morph into keyboard ninja.
Your analysis and justifications are full of dubious assumptions. For example this:-
The guns are required for movement into enemy territory - what I showed in the GE snapshot was simply movement of guns inside Indian territory. Those guns are expected for movement inside enemy territory - all other guns are going to stay put in their locations in depth inside Indian territory - the MSC is expected to fight a battle inside Tibet. And will want an artillery which can move with it. The quantum of sch guns required will depend on how they intend to fight their battles - what depth have they envisaged and the attendant targets.

The fact that you're unable to understand this simple explanation means that you're looking at the debate from all or 'none' perspective. The M-777 simply has to go - why? Because that is your position and will be defended no matter what.

Coming to the 'dubious' reasoning - Ever heard of the concept of fire-base? The one used by US Army in Vietnam and Afghanistan? If you'd bothered to read even a tiny little bit (and Rajit O had linked a great article about issues with artillery in mountains), you'd know that because of terrain on the border and mobility issues, you're guns are going to be stuck at a given position - the movement will happen only to go to alternate firing position to protect against CBF.

And given the range of your gun and all the limitations due to geography, the guns (assume a battery) can provide Fire-Support (FS) in a given geographical area. The range of this FS Zone inside enemy territory will depend on the depth of your gun placement in own territory and geographical/climatic issues. For every kilometer that Indian troops move into enemy territory, they move one kilometer away from FS Zone.

Now, whether you want mobile artillery or not will depend upon the task and objectives assigned to the troops. If the troops are required to move only 5/10 km inside enemy territory, then IA guns placed inside Indian territory will suffice as troops will never leave the FS Zone of own guns. This is what I'd tried to show in the graphic with concentric circles posted couple of pages back.

However, if you're required to move into an area where guns placed inside Indian cannot provide you with Fire-Support, what do you do? 50 Para Bde has an integral Para Arty Regiment exactly for this purpose. Because they operate out of FS Zone of own guns, they need their organic fire-support. And they manage this with IFG which is para-dropped from aircraft and can be carried by Mi-17 type of helicopters as under-slung load.

Same thing will happen in case of MSC - depending upon what they're expected to accomplish, they will require organic mobile arty support. I've already shown that getting onto Tibetan Plateau is not an easy job - And this should answer your question about number of M-777 required and helicopters to go with it.

Maybe a certain component like a brigade in each of the two Divisions under MSC will be modeled for air-assault kind of operation. And only this component might require an arty gun of M-777 type. Further, IA may decide to add such limited capability in northern sector as well. 'Limited' here is in context with attendant helicopters which can move this gun as under-slung load.

The only way numbers of M-777 can increase substantially is if the Army decides to induct this gun for mountain formations simply because it weighs lighter than planned imported/manufactured 155/52 Cal weapons. But there is no sign of that happening anytime soon - the gun is expensive and large scale induction will eat into the budget for other components of FARP.
Vic has already pointed it out, so I'll just quote him
This quote above is the classic example of what is wrong in this debate - everyone has a position to START with and intends to stick to it. In spite of what others might be saying.

Who said anything about whole MSC being air-assault capable? Was not it discussed earlier on this thread and this point made clearer? And common sense would tell anyone that whole Corps in mountains cannot be made mobile - not even if your Uncle Sam. But if Mr. Vic had bothered to read, he would not have made this mistake - nor would you.

It would be better to dig out and put forth all data-points and then make sense of the situation.

Based on whatever I've managed to dig out and analyse, I'm convinced that in air-mobile role, M-777 can be inducted only in limited numbers along with attendant helicopters. And that while MSC will have mandate to fight inside Tibet form word go, depth that we can achieve is not going to be too great - where great is from the perspective of a jingo.

Helicopter borne troops are most likely to be used as maneuvering force in areas close to border to achieve military objectives through outflanking movements - which is otherwise not possible in mountains. Troops can also be landed in rear areas to dominate a particular supply line and disrupt the movement of enemy troops.

Another important point - may be, Indian Army should look at a souped-up version of IFG to support air-assault component of MSC. Will help to solve lot of issues. Will address this point later.

PS: Let me give you another data-point against M-777 - it required a 2-KW external generator to run the fancy electronics on that system.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Since a simple concept like requirement of mobile artillery for troops operating out of own FS Zone (in context of MSC and Eastern Sector) is turning out to be a difficult to understand, let us take a more familiar case study: POK.

Now, answer this question to yourself - Assume India decides to take Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir. Prime target for any such exercise will be Skardu in POK. It also has a air-strip from where PAF at times maintains F-7 and F-16 detachments.

One way of taking Skardu is to send ground troops along the rivers entering POK from India - Indus and Shyok. Another way is to take the Skardu Airport through SF raid and use a mix of para-drop and landing of air-mobile troops (like we did in Maldives). Ground troops will put pressure on enemy at the LOC preventing him from releasing troops for rear-areas and ground offensive along river valleys will continue to finally link up with own troops.

Question is - how will you provide fire-support to own troops inside POK when they're out of the range of your guns? Will M-777 type of gun work in this case?
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

Kudos to those still willing to slug it out with the Shudh Desi BR-omance(TM) brigade!

Buried in the miles of poorly researched and even more poorly constructed anti-M777 arguments was a gem about the Prahar being a substitute to 155mm artillery. Ironically, this view had the most support in evil American circles, and flaws were pointed out as far back as 2001 by a practitioner of artillery "fires".

Since the Shudh Desis might be loathe to read anything without glossy pictures, here's an extract from the whole link:

"While the field artillery was developing new variants of ATACMS and the tactics, techniques, and procedures to employ them, many in the Army thought this new deep focus came at the cost of support to maneuver forces engaged in the close battle. Indicative of this suspicion was an article written in 2001 by a retired infantry officer. LTC(Retired) Robert Leonhard’s article on artillery support summed up many in the maneuver community’s misgivings regarding the field artillery’s dedication to the closefight. LTC Leonhard wrote that the artillery could no longer integrate fires with infantry and armor units because of a parallel fire support system that only supports the attack of an artillery-devised High Payoff Target List (HPTL)"

There is an old saying, which the Mods should probably make a sticky on BR...

'There is a difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something".