India-China News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Re: India-China News and Discussions

Post by Chinmayanand »

ashish raval wrote:Sridhar, Where did I put Indians Down !!! Why would I put myself down ! What I am trying to tell here is we have to be honest in admiring a stronger enemy and there is no harm in replicating their success in our country too. Stronger enemy does not mean that we have to look other way and try to belittle them. If they can look and come down in India and learn how to replicate our success in China's IT sector what stops us to do the same !
Indian political class and babudom ... :oops:
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Vinod Ji wrote:
SSridhar wrote:ashish raval, while you are perfectly entitled to admire the Chinese, you don't need to put India and Indians down unnecessarily.
I don't see him putting India down.
Vinod Ji, when I specifically address a person, I expect a reply from him/her and I am sure that person is perfectly capable of explaining himself/herself.
S.Gautam
BRFite -Trainee

Post by S.Gautam »

You stop finger pointing. Literacy level in India in 1947 were 12.2 % and even my Grandfather knew how to write and speak english so stop peddling BS. J.C.Bose did not learned how to make wireless by reading Veda's. Neither did he communicated with Einstein in Sanskrit. Could you explain to me what they taught in Village education centres in 1800's in India !! Certainly not how to make steam engine's right !!. Give the due where it is necessary. Indians did not go to England to learn english comeback and teach rest of Indians it was british people who taught english to Indian born english, anglo-indians and wealthy Indians and later missionaries did it.
For some reason I expect someone living in London and going on about the glory of Britain and the English language to use better English grammar than full stops after exclamation marks or plurals with apostrophes or capitalizing grandfather and failing to capitalize English or putting "were" after a singular noun. :shock:

^Forgive me, that was cruel. Anyway, you _do_ insult Indian culture in shamelessly linking the Vedas to wireless, dismissing one of the cornerstones of Indian culture by forcing it in a domain that's not even remotely relevant to it. There's nothing Indian or non-Indian about the pursuit of science; it is only human (although certain groups of humans, *cough* Pakis *cough*, have decided to shun it in favor of jinn power in recent times). We invented the very number system used for science, not the almighty Britain you so love. Also, 12.2% was the total literacy rate, not the English literacy rate. The number of English speakers in India was almost negligible in 1947. It was Indians who decided English had value and fostered it (and it was probably as much due to American dominance; Britain was already fading back then). Trash your UK-centric world view and practice what you preach by giving the due where it is necessary.

On the topic of the Chinese, props to them for doing this: China calls for return of art treasures from abroad
China is ratcheting up pressure for imperial treasures to be repatriated, condemning overseas auctions of its relics and demanding they come home.
China's drive to recover the heads has alarmed Western museums and auction houses, who are also sparring with Greece, Italy and other nations over the return of art treasures.
Think of all our belongings languishing in British museums. We should do the same.
Last edited by SSridhar on 18 Nov 2009 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Gautham, I already warned users not to bring in irrelevant things up for discussion.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

I have seen hundreds of people like you and around who enjoy pleasure in finger pointing on issues that are totally irrelevant to discussion on here, which is simply the tendency of a frog (I know best english) to which I dont subscribe. I am writing this in a hurry so spelling/grammatical mistakes may arise. Talking Vedas and wireless is relevant to make comparision because the only studies that were done in 1800 were in context of veda and sankrit literature. There were no so called village education centre's which did anything remotely what is known as Science/natural Science, Mathematics or even Philosophy. Secondly, your assertion that I live in London, love British and have a British view is very myopic/opinionated view of yours because I have never said anywhere or posted anything which automatically potrays my love for British ! You should have known that out 12.2% literacy rate there will be significant amount of people who knew English because it was the common language to study science during the time. Even if it was small amount, why did Indians saw merit in English language and not French ! that is because it was language of Science acceptable to whole world not because Indians saw merit in learning it.

I should not think about what is lying in British museums because it is responsibility of Indian political class and if they dont give an a*** why would a common man waste his/her time whining about thing which is not going to happen ! Tell me how many Indians have gone to museums in India !!! how many times have you visited an Indology centre in India !
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

ashish raval wrote:Sridhar, Where did I put Indians Down !!! Why would I put myself down ! What I am trying to tell here is we have to be honest in admiring a stronger enemy and there is no harm in replicating their success in our country too. Stronger enemy does not mean that we have to look other way and try to belittle them. If they can look and come down in India and learn how to replicate our success in China's IT sector what stops us to do the same !
ashish raval, your unnecessary references to the Vedas and Sanskrit are unacceptable. They are treasures of our land, whether one likes them or not. And, they are irrelevant to the issue being discussed. After saying that, you give lecture on why we should not admire the Chinese ?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ashish raval wrote:The only place India is ahead of chinese is English, movie making and IT (thanks to britain and visionaries). Otherwise we are behind chinese in every aspect which requires imagination.
you really have no idea. :lol: ask anyone in academia who has to read papers coming out of the mainland and you will get an idea of the state of higher education in the PRC.
I am sure it's not a race issue, but it most certainly is a social or cultural issue in a habitually autocratic country.
China makes everything for world right from panty liners to providing rare metals for US precision weapons to fuel cell batteries of next-generation cars.
no doubt the PRC economy is far ahead at the moment.
but of the commodities you mention, which are exactly cutting edge ones developed in china ?
whatever high technology items are produced in china is done by MNCs using their own tech.
S.Gautam
BRFite -Trainee

Post by S.Gautam »

you really have no idea. :lol: ask anyone in academia who has to read papers coming out of the mainland and you will get an idea of the state of higher education in the PRC.
I am sure it's not a race issue, but it most certainly is a social or cultural issue in a habitually autocratic country.
I don't have access to any academics or to Chinese research papers but I'm very curious about this. What is wrong with their publications?
Prasanth
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prasanth »

Rahul M wrote:
ashish raval wrote:The only place India is ahead of chinese is English, movie making and IT (thanks to britain and visionaries). Otherwise we are behind chinese in every aspect which requires imagination.
China makes everything for world right from panty liners to providing rare metals for US precision weapons to fuel cell batteries of next-generation cars.
but of the commodities you mention, which are exactly cutting edge ones developed in china ?
whatever high technology items are produced in china is done by MNCs using their own tech.
Seriously speaking, I have to agree with raval. Without English, India would have been really far behind China. I guess if we compare Bollywood with Chinese cinema, we are ahead, but HK cinema I am not so sure. Over in the West, they don't really like sing and dance movies. This really turns them off! I mean we have good actors, good plot and cinematics and then booosshh the serious hero starts to sing. I have seen my colleagues laugh the hell out when that happens! :cry:

Regarding the level of English in China, even in academic circles, :rotfl: ..... well at least they have research papers in Chinese too, I haven't seen one in Hindi. As a civilization, we need to start doing things in our own language, else our language will never advance.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

@ashish raval, replied to your post in the history thread
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 08#p774708
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Rahul M wrote:
ashish raval wrote:you really have no idea. :lol: ask anyone in academia who has to read papers coming out of the mainland and you will get an idea of the state of higher education in the PRC.
Show me one International journal (Science and Mathematics and not IT) where Indian technical writers have produced more papers in any issue. I want to get enlightened on it.
whatever high technology items are produced in china is done by MNCs using their own tech
Constructing one of the world's tallest building requires cutting edge technology in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Mechanical engineering and human comfort engineering. Running Maglev, high speed rails, maintaining massive influx of people in railway stations, Olympic size stadiums, developing ICBM's and drilling own oil rigs requires cutting edge technology too. This cannot be done by people who dont know what is cutting edge. MNC's use their own tech in whichever countries they operate be it India, China or even Brazil. What I am saying is that they have been successful in mass producing and exporting products while we are still learning. We have to quickly adapt if we want to eat their piece of cake because if we dont they will eat our piece of cake in IT and ITES.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ashish, replied to your "grateful to british" post in the UK thread.
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 14#p774714
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Running Maglev, high speed rails, maintaining massive influx of people in railway stations, Olympic size stadiums, developing ICBM's
maglev --> siemens, germany.
olympic stadium --> swiss
ICBM --> jump started full tech transfer from russia including manufacturing equipment.

again, I'm NOT saying that PRC is stupid or any such thing, just that saying
The only place India is ahead of chinese is English, movie making and IT (thanks to britain and visionaries). Otherwise we are behind chinese in every aspect which requires imagination.
is equally stupid.
S.Gautam wrote: I don't have access to any academics or to Chinese research papers but I'm very curious about this. What is wrong with their publications?
the boom in research papers from china that everyone talks about came after a massive funding effort in early 2000's dictated by the communist leadership. one fallout of that was a requirement that every chinese student has to publish papers in journals with a cumulative impact factor of 4.0 to get Ph.D. now this is not an unreasonable demand, any standard journal, even those in 'not so popular' subjects have an IF of at least 2-2.5, so two standard papers during a 4-5 year PhD would suffice.
after that there was an absolute deluge of papers from china. unfortunately, the strategy was completely different. they went for quantity at the cost of quality.
the result is an absolute deluge of papers from china that can be called $hitty science at best. they make absolutely no sense whatsoever. it is not surprising to find papers whose content has no relation to the title. even shireen mazari's article make better sense than some of them.
Prasanth wrote: Seriously speaking, I have to agree with raval. Without English, India would have been really far behind China. I guess if we compare Bollywood with Chinese cinema, we are ahead, but HK cinema I am not so sure. Over in the West, they don't really like sing and dance movies. This really turns them off! I mean we have good actors, good plot and cinematics and then booosshh the serious hero starts to sing. I have seen my colleagues laugh the hell out when that happens! :cry:
oh yes, the moksha of Indian movies is to get a pat on the head from the west ! :roll:
one would think entertaining Indians and make money doing so was their raison d'etre !
they are doing that quite well, thank you.
wtf should we care what anyone else thinks, all we need to care about is what Indians think of the movies.
Regarding the level of English in China, even in academic circles, :rotfl: ..... well at least they have research papers in Chinese too, I haven't seen one in Hindi. As a civilization, we need to start doing things in our own language, else our language will never advance.
:roll:
I'm sure language is a great metric in determining quality of research.
wake me up when the nobel in chemistry is awarded for "popularising chemistry in mandarin".
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

So when you talk about IT from where did we got on IT bandwagon ! Which company of India develops Microsoft, Linux, Oracle, DB2, Mac OS ! Everything comes from west or goes to west. Same way Chinese have learnt things to build and in a few years time they will build on their own while the same Siemens and Swiss company will come 10-15 years down the line and build those infrastructure in India.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ashish raval wrote:So when you talk about IT from where did we got on IT bandwagon ! Which company of India develops Microsoft, Linux, Oracle, DB2, Mac OS ! Everything comes from west or goes to west. Same way Chinese have learnt things to build and in a few years time they will build on their own while the same Siemens and Swiss company will come 10-15 years down the line and build those infrastructure in India.
never disputed that. what I disagreed with I've highlighted above.

doing so again in case you are mistaken
The only place India is ahead of chinese is English, movie making and IT (thanks to britain and visionaries). Otherwise we are behind chinese in every aspect which requires imagination.
and btw, I personally never did talk of IT. :wink:

------------------
missed this the first time :
Show me one International journal (Science and Mathematics and not IT) where Indian technical writers have produced more papers in any issue. I want to get enlightened on it.
qauntity != quality. I think I've already mentioned that china does produce more papers and PhD's than India. but the quality in general is really awful.

many if not most science research papers end up on this website
http://arxiv.org/
if you are familiar with research in any of the subjects mentioned, I would request you to read them yourself and come to your own conclusions.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

^^ Rahul I should agree about the quality of papers from India in International Journals as I have experience in publishing them. However, if you think on quantititive level wrt quality there will be enough papers from China which will be as good as Indian researchers. One cannot publish papers in International journals without proving the quality of research and if someone does bs research, the journal throws paper away 50 times if editor and referee feels it is bs. Probably they are still learning the art of writing good papers in English language for international readers. Chinese are not as bad as we think. I know this because I have seen Chinese students surpassing both Indian and British students in 1) Schools (british born chinese) and 2) Universities (after 2 years of English practice).
Prasanth
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prasanth »

Rahul M wrote:Running Maglev, high speed rails, maintaining massive influx of people in railway stations, Olympic size stadiums, developing ICBM's
maglev --> siemens, germany.
olympic stadium --> swiss
ICBM --> jump started full tech transfer from russia including manufacturing equipment.
I don't think they developed any new tech at all for the past century. The point is they are systematically absorbing all the latest tech and have shown a fair bit of innovation with it. You can shut China up now and it will still be able to make that maglev and ICBM, the industrial bases are there. Notice that they are always concentrating on the tech, rather than imorting the product. It's always how to fish not the fish. They are the masters in reverse engineering.

India on the other hand always try to reinvent the wheel and in the end, we import when we cannot deliver the results. Its nearly impossible to leapfrog current tech, best if we learn the latest tech and start from there.
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

excuse me, who launched 10 satellites in one go?

who sent a probe to the moon on a shoe string budget that discovered water among other things?

who leads the world in thorium tech? who is building a commercial grade FBR?

who moves 18 million passengers on a single day on its rail system?

who is the first country in the world to set up a nationwide realtime reservation ticketing net?

who evacuated its citizens during the first gulf war in what was the greatest air evacuation in history at the time?

who did operation Sukoon and whose ships helped during the Indian ocean Tsunami?

who actually was a pioneer in the test tube baby?

Who manages the world's greatest democratic exercise on a scale unprecedented in history?

This last refers to a far greater achievement than a stadium or managing crowds during the olympics. ( we do a Kumbh mela also remember?) As far as the 13 km Maglev is concerned many countries in the world operate such systems albeit capable of slower top speeds. it is a showpiece and is disliked by the shanghai people themselves. it has very little utility and is just part of the commie arriviste culture. even pakistan can set up a demonstration project on a few lines. we can too. its just not that easy to waste public money on mega projects in India without some NGO bindiwalli turning up with a Lal Jhandaa. And sometimes that can even be a good thing.

And all this even as potential JC Bose's have left India for foreign shores and India has been denied even standard technology such as instrumentation tech for oil exploration in the name of limiting dual use tech transfers.

India is creating IP even with the best having gone abroad. I sincerely hope they come back. In any case India has a almost one to one mapping with the US in terms of ongoing sci/tech development programs

China can copy all it likes but at the end of the day it will just end up becoming a good/ bad copy of the US.
whereas we will chart our own independent path. This is what scares the west.

we can innovate . china does not want to. this means that china is already calibrated. we are not.

all Indians need to stick together.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Impressive Mr Roy! I concur :)
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

harbans wrote:Impressive Mr Roy! I concur :)
Amen!
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

Was that what Acharya meant by India is a deeper problem for the US than either TSP or PRC
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Jarita to explain all tha would take a very long post. Please take it as an axiom. Its not US the country, but, US the leader of the West that has the problem.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Jarita wrote:Was that what Acharya meant by India is a deeper problem for the US than either TSP or PRC
Acharya san can speak for himself but IMHO the problem he was alluding to was one of legitimacy. Whilst it is easy to paint as illegitimate the unrepresentative, autocratic and self-serving CPC in cheena, its woefully hard to paint yindia as an oppressive impe-realist power-hungry hegemon without, errr, sounding packee.

Of course, when push comes to shove, the realists will call broad daylight midnight onlee. But such obvious prevarication takes a toll on what is turning out to be one of the modern times' most valuable assets - credibility and citizen trust.

Think about it - the entire system of fiat currency is based on trust. Bank runs happen when banks lose credibility. Its not a small matter.

And stripping Yindia of legitimacy takes a serious toll on cred, IMHO.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

ramana wrote:Jarita to explain all tha would take a very long post. Please take it as an axiom. Its not US the country, but, US the leader of the West that has the problem.

I understand
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Hari Seldon wrote:..........
And stripping Yindia of legitimacy takes a serious toll on cred, IMHO.
nicely explained.

this too

we can innovate . china does not want to. this means that china is already calibrated. we are not.
Jitendra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Jitendra »

for what it is worth -

i have worked with engineers (2 of them) who graduated in mainland China. Apart from next to impossible communications (we ended up writing many times for the simplest conversation), there was nothing outstandingly good or bad about them.

The kids of Chinese sttled in the US however are a different story. You go to any good school district and the you see 5 chinese (origin), 2 Indian (origin) and 3 others in the top 10 anything.

I also know numerous 'engineers' from India whom I found were no good. But the surprise (to me) is that non Indian colleagues don't find them all that bad. So may be I am being over critical of Indians!
Prasanth
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prasanth »

D Roy wrote:excuse me, who launched 10 satellites in one go?

who sent a probe to the moon on a shoe string budget that discovered water among other things?

who leads the world in thorium tech? who is building a commercial grade FBR?

who moves 18 million passengers on a single day on its rail system?

who is the first country in the world to set up a nationwide realtime reservation ticketing net?

who evacuated its citizens during the first gulf war in what was the greatest air evacuation in history at the time?

who did operation Sukoon and whose ships helped during the Indian ocean Tsunami?

who actually was a pioneer in the test tube baby?

Who manages the world's greatest democratic exercise on a scale unprecedented in history?

This last refers to a far greater achievement than a stadium or managing crowds during the olympics. ( we do a Kumbh mela also remember?) As far as the 13 km Maglev is concerned many countries in the world operate such systems albeit capable of slower top speeds. it is a showpiece and is disliked by the shanghai people themselves. it has very little utility and is just part of the commie arriviste culture. even pakistan can set up a demonstration project on a few lines. we can too. its just not that easy to waste public money on mega projects in India without some NGO bindiwalli turning up with a Lal Jhandaa. And sometimes that can even be a good thing.

And all this even as potential JC Bose's have left India for foreign shores and India has been denied even standard technology such as instrumentation tech for oil exploration in the name of limiting dual use tech transfers.

India is creating IP even with the best having gone abroad. I sincerely hope they come back. In any case India has a almost one to one mapping with the US in terms of ongoing sci/tech development programs

China can copy all it likes but at the end of the day it will just end up becoming a good/ bad copy of the US.

all Indians need to stick together.
1) I am not belittling India, but launching 10 lightweight satellites is not really an innovation nor ground breaking tech. The point is our payload is at least two times less than Chinese payload. US do not send 10 small sats at once, but that doesn't mean they can't, it's just that commercial sats weight something like 2-3 tonnes per unit. India was launching mostly research sats weighing less than 100kg.

2) Again, I do not have to repeat myself. It was an AMERICAN instrument that discovered water and prior missions sent by America had already detected minute trace of water. Chandrayaan confirmed it in larger quantities. Shoe string? Half the instruments were from foreign countries...you do the math.

3) Nobody is pursuing thorium because only India has viable reserves near the coast. India is not the leader in FBR and it had not been commercialized yet. The origin of FBR tech? I have no idea, but isn't it a coincidence Russia has it in a more advanced form. If nobody has FBR and India has it, thats called groundbreaking and pioneering. Russia is the leader in FBR and last I read, they are selling their most advanced tech to China in a collaboration to 'commercialize it'.

4) The pioneer of test tube tech was the UK. The first test tube baby was born there.

5) Nationwide reservation ticketing system? I am not sure, but I don't think we were the first, assuming computer were available in the west first. We can claim to be the first and make you happy but logics tell me a different thing.

The Chinese have their own:
1) 3G tech standards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TD-SCDMA
2) Digital TV tech standards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMB-T/H
3) Wireless encryption tech standards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLAN_Authe ... astructure

Do we have any of these? These are not copied tech, but different systems altogether and you know what is shocking, it's all completed and in use! They do not boast before the thing is done.

The truth is, we had not develop any groundbreaking tech, most of our pride stem from the fact that there are many lower cost Indian scientific workers overseas. Now you understand the significance of English? Imagine the Chinese could speak English as good as us and send their scientist in droves to be researchers and lecturers in the West.

Can you tell me what IP India created? Last year China became one of the top 10 patent applicant in the World. Huawei is the biggest patent applicant on earth overtaking Philips.
csharma
BRFite

Post by csharma »

While I am not belittling Chinese achievments, I want to point out creating these standards is not rocket science. A lot of theoritical research is already available and standards and pick and choose from the available work and get them to work. Of course it requires expertise in all areas.

India can certainly create new standards if it wanted to. South Korea does it too. I believe there was an effort by IITM professor Jhunjunwala.

Having said that, this whole debate about who is better does not make sense. In the US there are both Chinese and Indian talented folks. As a country, China looks ahead in most areas. India should try to improve.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Every once in a while, this forum (among many others) breaks into a Indi-cheeni pi$$ing contest. Fine, big deal. Nothing to take too seriously.

Would be nice to learn from the successes and mistakes of others, I'd once thought. I still think so. The panga with learning from cheena is that many of the lessons cannot be applied in toto here and that the wisdom of many cheeni actions is yet to be shown to be wise/sustainable.

Few lessons Yindia can rapidly learn from cheena - (i) devalue your currency 40% in one go and peg it to the biggest potential trade partner == your exports jump, surplus surges, forex horde builds up. (ii) ignore pollution/environmental impact, property rights and due diligence and a lot gets built in a very short time. (iii) ignore IP protection and a lot can get copied and cloned and proliferated within the country.

Am not yet convinced of the wisdom of these lessons for Yindia. Some of them we have selectively been using also - like process patents for drugs/pharma products. Why yield to MNC extortion there when our aam aadmi's life or death is on the line? Also, of selective and restricted market access - esp to the Euroland pretenders (agri subsidies to their farmers but demand mkt access here?!).

Of course, on the geopolitical front, even more lessons remain to be learned. Like n-proliferation, use of noxious proxies (NoKO, TSP) to score geopol brownie points, pervasive censoring and repression at home.

But all these are secondary. The main point that remains to be learned is the culture of strategy bred into mandarins in the capital - every word and action in phoren policy evaluated for its impact on the strategic space for the country. That is something we could well learn, IMHO.

Anyway, JMTs.
Prasanth
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prasanth »

csharma,

That's the point. We definitely can do it. I think we Indians are as smart if not smarter than the Chinese. The difference lies in their ability to plan, organize and execute. We always fail in the execution part.

Standards define a technology. And now they have both. I do not think it's a simple case of using existing research paper. What they are doing is complex and unique but not groundbreaking. We have not done anything, so we cannot judge it's merit.

Hari,

The Indian rupee has a lower value than yuan and Indian workers are also cheaper. Why didn't we turn into an export machine and horde forex? Again it lies in their ability to execute. FYI, I do not find Indian environmental record any better yet we are not as developed as them. In Mumbai, I smell crap, in Shanghai I smell carbon coal. That's the diff! :shock:

Land rights? In India, how many of the farmers actually own the land they tilt? In China, due to their land reforms, every farmer has got land. That's why they have property rights to be infringed upon. What about our farmers?
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Hari,

The Indian rupee has a lower value than yuan and Indian workers are also cheaper. Why didn't we turn into an export machine and horde forex? Again it lies in their ability to execute. FYI, I do not find Indian environmental record any better yet we are not as developed as them. In Mumbai, I smell crap, in Shanghai I smell carbon coal. That's the diff! :shock:

Land rights? In India, how many of the farmers actually own the land they tilt? In China, due to their land reforms, every farmer has got land. That's why they have property rights to be infringed upon. What about our farmers?
Good points. You are 400% correct that GoI needs to develop ability to execute (largest number of executions, more than the rest of the world combined and doubled) happen in PRC. And land 'rights' aren't rights when they can be taken away at any time by the gubmint. As for environmental record, the point isn't that crap doesn't happen in Yindia but that there are at least some checks and balances in place.

Ok, banter apart, kindly know that moi in no way underestimates or undermines demonstrated cheeni progress in fields where they are visibly ahead of us. Just that am not convinced that much of the visible progress - the shiny towers and infra, the factories etc - are sustainable (i.e. not misallocated capital subsidizing western consumption rather than doing anything sustainable for aam chinese).

But hey, maybe I am talking past one who has already made up his mind.

Time will tell, I guess. No doubt the PRC is the hare and we are the tortoise in this story. Problem also is that unlike in the fable, the hare may not fall asleep this time, the tortoise well may.

Have a nice day, dude.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

Where can I take lessons in
Mandarin for Dhimmies
please?
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

China became Military power first and then economic power. The same is the case with the Europeans and Americans. India is the only country which is trying to become economic power first and then if need arises , military power. That is bound to fail because historically no country became great power by focussing on economy alone. India and Indian Empires were the largest economy of the world for close to 1600 years. China only for 200 years.India's economic size did not prevent the central asian nomads from pillaging India.It was military power and military power alone which made the illterate mongols the largest Empire in history.Unless and Until India demonstrates a credible nuclear tipped ICBM capability in conjunction with a long range SLBM armed Nuclear submarine capability, India would for ever be trying to please the US and always will be in jinx on how to deal with china.

While asish raval's and prashant's posts tell the exaggerated notion of china in the minds of some Indians, they forget to mention that it was not chinese economic or intellectual power which drove nixon to peking which led to china's economic miracle but china's willingness to sustain millions of casulties in korean war and yet fight the americans to a standstill even when they have no economy to speak off. If there are two lessons which china teaches us, one is be prepared to lose men and money but never give up territory .Two,if you cant make it, steal and reverse engineer it at all costs but make sure you ahve your own technology.
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

1) I am not belittling India, but launching 10 lightweight satellites is not really an innovation nor ground breaking tech. The point is our payload is at least two times less than Chinese payload. US do not send 10 small sats at once, but that doesn't mean they can't, it's just that commercial sats weight something like 2-3 tonnes per unit. India was launching mostly research sats weighing less than 100kg.

2) Again, I do not have to repeat myself. It was an AMERICAN instrument that discovered water and prior missions sent by America had already detected minute trace of water. Chandrayaan confirmed it in larger quantities. Shoe string? Half the instruments were from foreign countries...you do the math.

3) Nobody is pursuing thorium because only India has viable reserves near the coast. India is not the leader in FBR and it had not been commercialized yet. The origin of FBR tech? I have no idea, but isn't it a coincidence Russia has it in a more advanced form. If nobody has FBR and India has it, thats called groundbreaking and pioneering. Russia is the leader in FBR and last I read, they are selling their most advanced tech to China in a collaboration to 'commercialize it'.

4) The pioneer of test tube tech was the UK. The first test tube baby was born there.

5) Nationwide reservation ticketing system? I am not sure, but I don't think we were the first, assuming computer were available in the west first. We can claim to be the first and make you happy but logics tell me a different thing.

The Chinese have their own:
1) 3G tech standards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TD-SCDMA
2) Digital TV tech standards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMB-T/H
3) Wireless encryption tech standards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLAN_Authe ... astructure

Do we have any of these? These are not copied tech, but different systems altogether and you know what is shocking, it's all completed and in use! They do not boast before the thing is done.

The truth is, we had not develop any groundbreaking tech, most of our pride stem from the fact that there are many lower cost Indian scientific workers overseas. Now you understand the significance of English? Imagine the Chinese could speak English as good as us and send their scientist in droves to be researchers and lecturers in the West.

Can you tell me what IP India created? Last year China became one of the top 10 patent applicant in the World. Huawei is the biggest patent applicant on earth overtaking Philips.

1. In case you don't know, launching nanosats and microsats is an achievement as well. Injecting 10 different space vehicles is no mean feat under any circumstances.

2.The moon impact probe found water even before the american instrument. Also the the specific capabilities of the chandrayaan with regard to orbital maneuver capability was crucial to the success of this endeavour. Please read the Chandrayaan thread on this very forum for further details.

3.Thorium tech-

India is not the only country with significant thorium reserves or easily recoverable ones. far from it. I have enclosed a table below to give you an idea. neither is it the only one looking to develop it. but thanks to Bhabha's overarching vision and a number of research reactors India has achieved great capability in the fabrication and handling of thorium fuels.

Estimated world thorium resources1
(Reasonably assured and inferred resources recoverable at
up to $80/kg Th) Country Tonnes % of total
Australia

USA

Turkey

India

Venezuela

Brazil

Norway

Egypt

Russia

Greenland

Canada

South Africa

Other countries

World total

For all this and more, you may take a look at - http://world-nuclear.org/info/inf62.html

Thorium tech in the west was pioneered by Alvin Radkowsky who worked closely with the father of the american nuclear navy- Admiral Ryckover. its the radkowsky design that a company called Thorium Power has patented.

Incidentally this very same company with a new name has signed an MOU with guess who- the United Arab Emirates subsequent their CNA with United States.
germany operated a thorium pebble bed reactor which was even connected to the grid for a while. they would have pushed it further had post chernobyl demonstrations not made them stop.
do you know that China has not met much success with the PBMR ( started in co-operation with South Africa) which is also ultimately aimed at Thorium utilisation?

By the way , in case you think India is only about English, here's what a former director of Los Alamos National Laboratory, Siegfried S Hecker had to say-

‘I found that whereas sanctions slowed progress in nuclear energy, they made India self-sufficient and world leaders in fast reactor technologies. While much of the world’s approach to India has been to limit its access to nuclear technology, it may well be that today we limit ourselves by not having access to India’s nuclear technology developments. Such technical views should help to advice the diplomatic efforts with India.

4. have you seen the movie- 'ek doctor ki mauth'? it chronicles the travails of Subhash Mukherjee who pioneered another technique of test tube delivery contemporaneous with the development in the west.

Read this page if you can,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subhash_Mu ... ysician%29

5. By the way , we were the first with the nationwide ticketing system. westerners who used to come to india, were astonished that they could buy a ticket for a journey that began a 1000 miles away and ten days later.

judging by your comments it is possible you work in the IT domain. However that is not the only place where IP is being created.

IP created in the nuclear arena or in the field of energy is sometimes not publicly visible but far more potent than tweaking a few cellular protocols.
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

That's the point. We definitely can do it. I think we Indians are as smart if not smarter than the Chinese. The difference lies in their ability to plan, organize and execute. We always fail in the execution part.

Standards define a technology. And now they have both. I do not think it's a simple case of using existing research paper. What they are doing is complex and unique but not groundbreaking. We have not done anything, so we cannot judge it's merit.

Hari,

excuse me I think the record needs to be put straight here.

1. India doesn't have a seriously undervalued currency like china does. we have a partial float no doubt but not as micromanaged as china's. The yuan should be at much higher levels than what it is at now.

By the way having more reserves is not necessarily the greatest idea. because the cost of servicing these reserves is pretty high.

2. Land Rights- I don't know what you are talking about , but the zamindari abolition bill and land reforms dates from the fifities.

On the other hand in COMMUNIST china land used to be owned by the state and leased to farmers for a 99 year period. there were no proper land rights till a bill was introduced in 2007.
ashkrishna
BRFite

Post by ashkrishna »

Aren't we focussing a bit too much on china?

Does India want to grow economically and militarily just to overtake china? Or is it because we want to protect our interests and give our citizens a good, decent life?

India needs to focus on a model of nation building that suits it the best. MAdly trying to emulate the Chinese model is self-defeating.

Dont ignore the chinese threat, but also donot let it define how you see yourself...It is a recipe for disaster...Remember TSP?

JMT's
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

Hi Ashkrishna,

I have been saying something similar for a long time myself. But our enemies just won't let us lead peaceful and possibly peaceful lives. they don't think the way , we do. otherwise both pakistan and China would have signed peace treaties with us by now and would have talked about Asian values.

the fact is we are faced with an Evil Empire across the Himalayas which is not really content with merely being prosperous and strong.

It is ruled by a sadistic pseudo communist party that continually needs to parrot REVANCHIST ideals about China's territorial history and place in the world.

Moreover a prosperous India takes away from the legitimacy of the Commies party like nothing else does. If India can become prosperous with its acrimonious and chaotic democracy then why do the Chinese people have to be subject to the "Order of the CCP"?

If India prospers the CCP loses face. if they lose face their revivalist tendencies fall flat.

And this is why all the bullshit rhetoric about teaching India a lesson etc.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

you missed the point. :lol:

------------

prashant, kindly move these kiind of posts to the relevant thread(s), we will gladly knock down your erroneous beliefs there. in the meantime, don't derail this one.
this particular thread is meant for India-China relations, NOT whose **** is bigger.
if you persist I'll have to warn you. please desist.
Rahul.
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

SSridhar wrote:A well-known Chinese scholar said that it is the Chinese belief that only two nations can occupy the Heavens, one China and the other India. All the others will be below them. It is a civilizational belief.
When did they become so generous as to share the space? Would be interested to know who..

BTW on someone's comment that we are speaking English because missionaries taught us, this is the kind of pathetic thinking that made us slaves in the first place. Obviously some of us have not learned lessons.

The colonial govt. did not invest in education, just vacated space to the missionaries, funding them with money looted from us because that way souls can be harvested which in their calculation keeps India enslaved much longer.

Once there is money in indigenous hands, they can provide good education..as RK Mission and many others including non-religious affiliated ones, have shown in many places.
Prasanth
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prasanth »

EDITED.
Last edited by Rahul M on 19 Nov 2009 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: warned for thread derailment.