LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
vic
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by vic »

Singha wrote:with all due respect to IAF, the 100KN ASR for such a small fighter like Tejas...has any a/c in that size category in HISTORY ever had such a T:W ratio?

seems me the F16-block50+/m2k-5/Gripen-NG do not have such a value? each of these are 1+ ton heavier empty and feature 100KN class engines...
I think that we need to face that LCA is around 1500kg + 5500kg = 7000kg. The weight reduction is planned in Mark-2. In fact the LSPs may even be heavier than 7000kg. The weight of 6600-6700kg seems to be "targeted" weight for Mark-1 and not achieved weight, that is why the 40SP's will be produced in batches of 10 each with optimisation in each batch.

Having said this, i think that the order for Mark-1 should be increased to 60 + another 20 twin seaters. Also LCA Mark-1 with (even underpowered) Kaveri (with or without after burner) should be used for future AJT and around 150 should be ordered in this configuration from 2015 onwards.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

for a trainer a/c is there a hard and fast rule that it be statically stable...i.e. return to level flying if pilot messes up and puts the plane out of control?
if thats the case, unstable a/c like tejas or any other fighter may not quality.

but HAL can surely take the airframe, mount a cheaper and weaker engine like jaguar adour 811 , strip down the avionics and make a low cost trainer without going through the whole nine yards again...
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

but HAL can surely take the airframe, mount a cheaper and weaker engine like jaguar adour 811 , strip down the avionics and make a low cost trainer without going through the whole nine yards again...
Jaguar itself was born as a trainer! If the Kaveri as current is qualified , it can be used in a trainer.

But you are talking HAL remember ? They cant even go and buy wet wipes without Babu sanction. So , it is back to "No Objection Certificates", "Approvals", "MOUs", "Request for Funding", "Cabinet Committee Clearance" and "Su-Soo facilities " to be provided etc.. all in triplicate and gazetted and laminated before they can even start to think of it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ +1
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

geeth wrote: Yes, my knowledge on composits is limited, and I haven't manufactured or have experience in the process of manufacturing a composite panel; AND I suppose everybody else, or atleast a major portion of those who talk about composites have hands on experinece.
didn't mean to offend you there. Sorry if I did.
Coming back to the point, what I was referring to was about the structural members that were glued to the composite panels. This was mentioned in some articles I read ( I don't know where and when). In that IIRC it was mentioned that to avoid detachment, they have taken some extra care about the resin used because there were insufficient knowledge initially about the EXACT amount of resin that was required. Again, who decides the exact quantity of resin..the supplier or the designer? If it is the designer , could he have erred on the EXACT amount of resin to be used?

If everything was EXACTLY as required, then what is the reason for the increase in weight of the structure?

P.S : I have seen Composite sheets made in HAL using Carbon fibre woven cloth (decades before, I must add) - and the surfaces used to look like Glass tops or Perpex Sheet. Too much of resin, I suppose?
Most structural members are fastened to the composite parts, not glued. And for a few parts to be glued (like a solid laminate part being glued to a honeycomb pad) is hardly going to be a weight issue of such large proportions. Will be less than a few kgs at most, if at all excess glue has been used even.

The resin quantity is part of the specification. It decides the strength of the composite since it is the combination of fiber and resin that gives the composite its qualities.

As mentioned earlier, the reasons are because of inexperience in design of the parts and their stress analysis. Ideally, a designer or stress analyst with several years of experience would know where to reduce weight and where it would be required.

And most composites after being cured look like that- glass tops. That may not mean too much resin either.
Last edited by Kartik on 18 Jan 2011 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

vic wrote:I think that we need to face that LCA is around 1500kg + 5500kg = 7000kg. The weight reduction is planned in Mark-2. In fact the LSPs may even be heavier than 7000kg. The weight of 6600-6700kg seems to be "targeted" weight for Mark-1 and not achieved weight, that is why the 40SP's will be produced in batches of 10 each with optimisation in each batch.

Having said this, i think that the order for Mark-1 should be increased to 60 + another 20 twin seaters. Also LCA Mark-1 with (even underpowered) Kaveri (with or without after burner) should be used for future AJT and around 150 should be ordered in this configuration from 2015 onwards.
Thats not what PS Subramanyam said- he clearly said that the empty weight of the Tejas is now around 6500 kgs and that it is over the original intent because of conservatism in the design, being the first time and all that. Its not the targeted weight, it is over that weight. But, if they do manage to keep the empty weight at 6500 kgs on the Tejas Mk2 and add the F-414, well that will be a sprightly performer for sure then.
babbupandey
BRFite

Post by babbupandey »

I just noticed something:
If the weight is 7,000 kg then Thrust to weight ratio for 404 will be @85kN = 85000/(7000x9.807) = 1.15, correct?
What is the hue and cry about under-powered engine? F-22 has 1.14 ratio, F-16 is 1.15.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:with all due respect to IAF, the 100KN ASR for such a small fighter like Tejas...has any a/c in that size category in HISTORY ever had such a T:W ratio?

seems me the F16-block50+/m2k-5/Gripen-NG do not have such a value? each of these are 1+ ton heavier empty and feature 100KN class engines...
:D Well the world has more three legged cheetahs that you would have imagined hain?
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

:D Well the world has more three legged cheetahs that you would have imagined hain?
Bhaat? you dare put others in the same league as us ... hainji?

Not only do we have three legged cheetahs but we also have them wrapped in torn dhotis....

that puts us in a league of our own.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

And most composites after being cured look like that- glass tops. That may not mean too much resin either
Noted Thanks
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Kartik wrote:Who said that design goes through multiple iterative spirals ? I've been in multiple aircraft design programs and they didn't go through multiple iterative spirals. The reason is simply that time is a luxury and the schedule drives the design- you need to get the drawings out to the supplier within very short time spans to get them to be able to meet their timelines for supplying parts.

What happens is that due to very short timelines or lack of experience, designers go with less optimal designs in the first cut, without thinking of ways to improve the design, and stress engineers instead of trying to optimize that design, simply go through their analysis and if it passes all checks with all margins positive, the design is released to suppliers. That is how the weight adds up over time as parts overshoot their initial weight estimates. The target weight didn't go up to 6500 kg like you claim- the weight went to 6500 kgs because of caution, conservativeness with methods used for design/stress and maybe in some cases, changed user requirements.

When it comes to aircraft parts, any change to the already released configuration is a hassle, either reducing weight or adding weight. You need to look at the downstream effects of weight gain as well which is also a time-consuming process. And any weight gain will then require a more powerful engine to carry that weight and consequently any improvement in performance you hoped for will also be tempered.
From my experience, this is exactly what happens, and what I learnt from those associated with the program is that this is the exact reason for the LCA overweight issue. The sentences here aptly sum it up.
vina wrote:design is ALWAYS through multiple iterative spirals , even if you don't realize it . The reason for that is design is a multiple variable, multiple constraint optimization problem. There is no single analytic solution for such an optimization problem, but has to be arrived via iterations.
Maybe at Lockheed Martin, but not at ND(MB) or ND(V) or IAF BRD or DRDO/OFB.
vina wrote:Sorry, It didn't happen even in the days of slide rules & pre electronic calculator days. Like I said in the FEA example, at an overall system level, these things converge very quickly within two or three iterations to something quite close to optimal. In this day and age with computers and CAD/CAM etc, these kind of things take next to no time. Where things take time is at a detail design /component/subcomponent level where too the iterations/design optimizations are now possible within reasonable times thanks to the enormous computing power.
In the real world, its not so simple. For example, consider the component testing and system integration testing time, effort and cost to the iterations. There is pressure on the designers to minimize this time/effort/cost and hence they end up doing as Kartik correctly described. LM tried to use computer simulation for reducing testing time/effort/cost for JSF, and from what it appears, it hasnt worked that well.
vina wrote:In most cases, the intial weight estimates of systems and stuff are usually pretty close to actual (because you tend to use off the shelf stuff, whose weights are well known and can use weights of comparables). The "surprises" are only in the brand new stuff you are developing from scratch (like the airframe weight for instance, or the landing gear weight if it is not an off the shelf / resize from existing item thing).
This statement of yours further supports the first point made here. Had LCA used off the shelf stuff, we would have ended up with a Mirage 2000. It it didnt, and it mostly uses brand new stuff developed from scratch, for developing this brand new stuff, they ended up doing what Kartik described.

A good program management would have assessed these risks, and realized that capability is more important than "smaller/lighter", and worked towards achieving that capability. The LCA Program Management never considered these factors. In the Indian psyche, if a person is a great scientist/aviator, or more likely "seniormost", it is assumed he will make a great aircraft development project manager. The fact that program management requires skills over and above scientific/functional skills is completely lost in both services and DRDO/PSU organizational cultures.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

In retrospect,was the LCA programme crippled or constrained by its nomenclature of being touted as the
"world's smallest,lightest,cheapest,multi-role aircraft...."? Is that why we have delivered after decades of conception a "three-legged cheetah"?!

When MK-2 arrives with a more powerful engine and a larger fuselage,plus its inevitable extra weight,will it still be described as such? What is the "virtue" of such nomenclature? I say this because right now we are in the search for the right "medium" sized multi-role aircraft,which can meet today's and tomorrow's challenges,challenges which have grown far greater with time demanding aircraft with far greater capability than that envisaged for the LCA three decades ago.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

CFM's leap-x program uses 3d woven composites for reduced blades and thus weight. Any chance we might move to such woven composites to increase tensile strength. :?:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

any chance we can land a man on the moon and bring him back next week?
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

^^^^^
:rotfl:
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

babbupandey wrote:I just noticed something:
If the weight is 7,000 kg then Thrust to weight ratio for 404 will be @85kN = 85000/(7000x9.807) = 1.15, correct?
What is the hue and cry about under-powered engine? F-22 has 1.14 ratio, F-16 is 1.15.
Every two bit retd Admiral/Air Marchal wants to have their word in on blasting Indian efforts. That is what those blokes did when in service and they continue on the same path to justify their (incorrect) actions.
Wickberg
BRFite

Post by Wickberg »

But the F-22 and F-16 are not under-powered, while the LCA clearly is. Could it be they are different aircrafts with a different designs? The old SAAB 35 Draken had an empty weight of almost 8000 tonnes and an engine of 78,4kN, yet it was not considered under powered, on the contrary. Or look at the F-104 Starfighter...
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

:rotfl: . may be possible as one of the apollo sdre mission took only half a week to reach moon. /OT.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

vina wrote:Now the Air Force fan boys will swear on the Mig29s as the next best thing to sliced bread. Strong rumors out in the internet seem to indicate that the Mig-29s were 7.5 g limited after Mach 0.8 or so until recently, when MAPO upgraded the planes and that included the IAF planes. The F-16s seemed to always pull 9g in higher machs numbers.
Rumour has it that Mig-29 (fatigue) life degrades very heavily if high Gs are pulled (??)
vina wrote: HAL can surely take the airframe, mount a cheaper and weaker engine like jaguar adour 811 , strip down the avionics and make a low cost trainer without going through the whole nine yards again

Jaguar itself was born as a trainer! If the Kaveri as current is qualified , it can be used in a trainer.:
Aapke mouth mein ghee shaakkar if that happens but IAF has as usual not cleared development of any AJT as follow on to Hawk as BAe + HAL are trying to milk more and more orders for Hawk
Lastly
My understanding is that PS Subramanyam said that LCA is 1500kg heavy out of which 500kg weight is due to conservative design which will be rectified in "Mark-2". Around 6500kg is the ideal weight (Still to be achieved??) Hence I think that IAF may be dis-satisfied as LSPs with even more weight + Instrumentation may be sluggish. Only when the first SPs are handed over to IAF without instrumentation and optimised LRUs etc which brings the empty combat weight to around 6800-7200kg, only then we will know what IAF "really" thinks about the LCA.

Caveat - I would love to be wrong but lets see!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

As a data point I would like to quote what Air marshal (retd) VK Bhatia had to say about the LCA earlier:
http://spsaviation.net/press_releases.a ... ,000-Crore
LCA Programme to Gobble Up another 8,000 Crore
By Air Marshal (Retd) V.K. Bhatia

The News in the press was almost like a ‘scream’ – “What Tejas wants, Tejas gets”. This was in response to the stated infusion of an additional massive financial dose of Rs 8.000 crore
<snip>
is likely to obtain initial operational clearance (IOC) by the year-end with possible induction into the IAF’s squadron service in 2011. But, the rate at which the flight testing plus avionics and weapons integration programees are progressing, the above timeframe appears to be highly ambitious.
The following website has news analysed by the same gentlemen
http://spsaviation.net/analysis.asp

In general it is possible that the IAF takes the attitude "Give us the nest and we will deliver the best results". However the IAF does not seem to believe that the "best" can be of Indian origin. But it still strikes me as odd that this is the same Air Force that made do with less than the best - with the Gnat when the Sabre was the darling of Air Forces. With the MiG 21 when the Phantom II ruled the roost. With the MiG 23 when F-16s were delivered next door. This is the Air Force whose where a senior officer lightly dismissed news of a flying accident as "Well one a month is normal".

Is it possible that there are two second class types, with second class of Indian origin being worse than second class of foreign origin.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vic wrote:only then we will know what IAF "really" thinks about the LCA.
The test pilots are happy. IAF pilots need to get into that seat.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Wickberg wrote:
But the F-22 and F-16 are not under-powered, while the LCA clearly is. Could it be they are different aircrafts with a different designs? The old SAAB 35 Draken had an empty weight of almost 8000 tonnes and an engine of 78,4kN, yet it was not considered under powered, on the contrary. Or look at the F-104 Starfighter...
I fail to see how increased engine power will improve g limits/AoA/sustained turned rate, that are aerodynamic design features.

Unless...the aerodynamic design changes planned in Mk2, "may" result in extra structual weight that "might" require the extra horsepower. Maybe increases in fuel/payload as well.
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

shiv wrote:
vic wrote:only then we will know what IAF "really" thinks about the LCA.
The test pilots are happy. IAF pilots need to get into that seat.
Truer words could not be spoken by anyone including those in ADA.

This is what changed Army's inclination towards Arjun, when they finally had people in the driver's seat and actually saw what it was capable of.

Paper specs are one thing, ability/capability dictate what a system is really capable of and innovative ways in which it may more than overcome its perceived weaknesses, and leverage it strengths.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Kartik is right about weight growth reasons. In most aerospace groups there is a weights group whose job is to keep everyone on a diet. However recall its first major composite program and there would be conservatism in the designs due to design analysis reasons. parts are qualified/verified by analysis (1.25 Margins), test (1:500 loads), similarity (not here) and flight.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

tsarkar wrote:From my experience, this is exactly what happens, and what I learnt from those associated with the program is that this is the exact reason for the LCA overweight issue. The sentences here aptly sum it up.
The LCA is "overweight" (which I contest if the 6500kg empty weight is correct) only in relation to the original TDs that flew and which probably aimed for an empty weight of 5500kg with the GEF404 engine and the initial weapon spec per the IAF ASR.

When the final weapon and stores specs came in, I dare say that it would have been quite different from what the design specs at the TD stage assumed. People talk of the R-60 to R-73 change because I guessed it, but why do you assume that only the outer most pylon spec changed ?. The middle, inner and center pylons too would have changed as well. No one talks about that! All that will mean a new structural design (just stiffening the wing against bending and torsion wont do), especially if new systems are added in along the fuselage axis, which most probably happened. Given that, the empty weight growth is not unexpected and is probably well within reasonable limits given that the Gripen has similar empty weight with a similar engine.

The only problem is that IAF ASRs are probably so tough that you need more engine power to meet the original T:W ratios of the TD stage design !

I would think when we talk about weight growth, it is important to keep in mind with relation to what ? The TD bird or the actual ones at IOC. The IOC birds are under the skin, very very different aircraft and airframes from the TD. The "conservativeness in margins" or whatever is part of the reason, but not the whole or even the main one, when you see a close to 20% gain. You need to look at other reasons more closely
Maybe at Lockheed Martin, but not at ND(MB) or ND(V) or IAF BRD or DRDO/OFB.
BRD and OFB kind of places which are probably largely replacement/ spare parts kind of manufacturing ops dont matter and are not comparable. You cant be much off,when you either make parts to drawings or reverse engineer a part from known/similar materials. There is really next to no design. But if you are doing an ab-intio design, then it is a different story.
In the real world, its not so simple. For example, consider the component testing and system integration testing time, effort and cost to the iterations.

Those are largely one time efforts. Since you are a Navy guy and are probably more familiar with ships , so I will give you a ship example. For eg, you are a shipyard and you need to design a 60,000 ton Bulker (say) and the owner says he wants a cruise speed of around 15knots, you probably would look at an equivalent design data published from well known series (BSRA,ABS, etc) and choose one with basic data (lenght, breadth, draft, block, prismatic and other coeffs) and estimate steel weight from the midship section of a similar vessel and put in some allowance for weights and do a first cut estimate of displacement , center of gravity, center of buoyancy etc. Now , if you are designing the ship for a particular certification (Lloyds/ABS/DNV/whatever), you will start doing detail design as per that (and you get the size of the scantlings and skin and everything) and you start specifiying machinery per requirements and other systems and you get a pretty decent estimate of weight and other stuff and then iterate once more to see if you need to adjust the initial data you worked with and do the structural design per certification again and you are pretty much done!

The good thing is that the registrar gives "10 commandments" kind of orders for most major things and takes guesswork out from some very fundamental things. In a warship, you need that kind of design database from experience and so is a different ball game! Same with an aircraft like the LCA. The thing is if you notice, all these are not major efforts UNLESS you build a full ship for every iteration! At design stage it is all on paper /computer memory and can be easily fiddled with in few lines drawn or clicks of mouse. It is always a truth that changes are nearly painless in initial design and the later you are in the cycle of the product, the cost and pain of changes shoot up!.

If there is a lesson in this, it is this. The IAF should have put their heart and minds fully into the LCA. But no, it was a step child/******** child that they in all probably wished would have a still birth and couldn't be bothered with and studiously ignored it as far as possible and were probably more interested in buying more M2Ks or SU-30s! They even used it as a parking spot for people kicked upstairs with a clear exit route out of the IAF shown (like that Air Vice Marshal who went to court on some dispute and he was parked there) . Unfortunately, against all odds, the TD program was successful and then you tried to "productionize" it into a service capable fighter and went through and entire design cycle again. If the IAF had not been so sneering and actually gotten hands on and sepcced the TDs close to what the final requirements were (not a big ask you would agree), you probably would have seen these birds in service around 3 to 5 years earlier and definitely would not see half assed comments like a "3 legged Cheetah"!
This statement of yours further supports the first point made here. Had LCA used off the shelf stuff, we would have ended up with a Mirage 2000. It it didnt, and it mostly uses brand new stuff developed from scratch, for developing this brand new stuff, they ended up doing what Kartik described.
Nah, it was designed with a smaller engine and smaller airframe and lower all up weight, and the off the shelf stuff it used were different (engine and other systems). No way it would have ended up as a M2K. It was always going to be a different plane.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The words I have consistently heard about the Tejas is "pilot friendly" and "easy to fly". As far as I can tell aircraft like the Gnat had surprising quirks and the MiG 21 - though described by my late cousin as a relatively docile had the related bad habit of making a pilot commit errors because of that docility. Clearly a FBW and "pilot friendly" aircraft should reduce pilot stress and workload to that extent.

The other comment I have heard is that it behaves exactly like the simulator. Given that we already have a simulator, I would have thought that it should make it easy to make pilots familiar with the Tejas.

But the biggest positive fall out of the Tejas program can only be squeezed if we use the newly developed technologies like use of composites and in flight control software to make a new fighter, transport aircraft or trainer that can mimic various fighters.

It is the responsibility of all agencies involved to make that happen and we th nation should hold them accountable.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i think of marut as proving that we can do maths
i think of tejas as proving that we can do engineering
now we need to build on tejas and create a proper aerospace mil-eng complex
babbupandey
BRFite

Post by babbupandey »

Retd. Air Marshal could have chosen a better title for the article, he hasn't actually blown Tejas away, on the contrary he has praised it well. There indeed were problems with Kaveri engine and I really do hope that LRDE comes up with its own radar (maybe AESA?).
Its only in the last part that he moves away from logical argument into the realms of what we refer to as "dorky" journalism, if he could put the reasoning behind the use of 100kN engine then it would have been a different story altogether.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Maybe in his colorful way he is saying that current engine makes it less agile or handicapped like a three legged cheetah?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I am yet to read any article by retd people laying out clearly the shortcomings of imported equipment vs what was initially expected. ever. has any IA jarnail for instance flayed the numerous failures and subterfuge in the T90 deal ? not even a infantry or arty general will care to buck the general trend on T90.

its easy to 'beat up' open and defenceless pgms like domestic work; let them take on the might of the arms dalals and we will see...the IN commander who foot his foot down on Talwar delivery mysteriously was run over by a truck in delhi later...
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

There may be forces that is controlling what to write and the reasoning for every requirements. GE or its agents for example would love to kill Kaveri. But it a moot point arguing about 100kN requirements when GTRE is sitting in a glass house no matter however they reason their case. They did not get blessed from their masters - IAF PERIOD. Now, putting such articles can really cause jingoes go tizzy.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.orfonline.org/cms/sites/orfo ... maid=20938
was this posted earlier?

should make a lot sense for many retired men.
babbupandey
BRFite

Post by babbupandey »

ramana wrote:Maybe in his colorful way he is saying that current engine makes it less agile or handicapped like a three legged cheetah?
Yes, I get that. What my point is that he could have given a solid argument as to why 85kN is insufficient - what is it that a 100kN engine can accomplish which 85kN can't.
AJames
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AJames »

vina wrote: If there is a lesson in this, it is this. The IAF should have put their heart and minds fully into the LCA. But no, it was a step ******** child that they in all probably wished would have a still birth and couldn't be bothered with and studiously ignored it as far as possible and were probably more interested in buying more M2Ks or SU-30s! They even used it as a parking spot for people kicked upstairs with a clear exit route out of the IAF shown (like that Air Vice Marshal who went to court on some dispute and he was parked there) . Unfortunately, against all odds, the TD program was successful and then you tried to "productionize" it into a service capable fighter and went through and entire design cycle again. If the IAF had not been so sneering and actually gotten hands on and sepcced the TDs close to what the final requirements were (not a big ask you would agree), you probably would have seen these birds in service around 3 to 5 years earlier and definitely would not see half assed comments like a "3 legged Cheetah"!
I don't think the IAF is the problem here. There is a cardinal rule in aircraft development that says that you should never develop a completely new airframe to go with a completely new engine. A new airframe should always use a known existing engine. The reason is that the power requirements for new airframes always go up, and if you develop a new engine to be complete as the new airframe rolls out, by the time the airframe is rolled out, you will be looking to dump all the money that went into the new engine and you will be looking for a newer engine to replace it even before it rolls out. What DRDO should have done is to just license an existing engine with the planned thrust for service entry (say 90kN), brought it into service and then started developing the Kaveri for the next version.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

AJames wrote: There is a cardinal rule in aircraft development that says that you should never develop a completely new airframe to go with a completely new engine. A new airframe should always use a known existing engine. The reason is that the power requirements for new airframes always go up, ...
But if the power requirements for a new airframe always go up, even the pre-selected existing engine will fall short eventually, since it will be selected based on the earlier power requirements.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

This engine requirement story is a nightmare to even think about. Even now, they have issues in the sense nothing from the oped or information available to know what snecma core kaveri engine would match 100kN. Most available sources say 90kN. Now will another IAF recall happens to reconsider upgrading the snecma core 90kN with an Ej200 or Ge414 one later on?

Why is this requirements engineering such a problem for us? some body not saying things correct/loophole #1.

PS: The Eco core max known is expected to 20000lbs wet. Now, what IAF needs are 22500 wala. Why this joint venture with snecma? for whose purpose?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

AJames wrote: There is a cardinal rule in aircraft development that says that you should never develop a completely new airframe to go with a completely new engine

You know James, I have often made this statement myself and after making it 20 times on the forum some new thoughts began to occur to me.

If you look at some of the earliest aircraft developments - when desperate nations were at war and in desperate mortal danger (and I am referring to WW1 and WW2) many countries have actually put new engines on new aircraft and faced consequences. It is only after doing this that they have developed enough expertise to cockily lecture SDRE newbies that new engines must not go in mew airframes. Nothing fundamentally wrong in the advice - but it serves as one experience of foreign rule that Indians will cling to.

Fast forward to the 21st century and hey presto the F-35 is going to have a brand new engine. the excuse is that the engine makers are experienced and will produce something safe. But the Chinese Project 718/J-20 too will certainly have a new engine if it is not already being tested on a new engine. So at some stage India will have to become bold and do what needs to be done.

The Chinese have the chutzpah to fly and aircraft with an engine that has a mean-time-between-failures of 20-30 hours. If Indians do that we will curse our compatriots, accuse them of being reserved category class and that they should learn from the west. Of course we never complain when reserved category gets shot in a conflict; he gets an award for that.

For the all round cursing I have heard of the Tejas from Air Force, journalist and engineering circles - I have not heard a single complimentary word that mentions 1500 flights and over 1000 hours of accident free testing. As you all know the Gripen has at least 2 crashes of prototypes and the J-10 had at least four. Indic people certainly are an unforgiving bunch - unless it is a foreigner who will be forgiven easily. Atithi devo bhava. The guest is god.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ Shivji, I seriously think you should take up the profession of a prof some where. (Just for pun) you already have a Dr. before your name :).
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Dhoti shiver and pray to the lord of lords, that they don't start telling that it is event less 'cause of American engine.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

I would want him to teach 10-12th grade students in how to think patriotic.

Jai ho Shivji