CWG 2010 - Corruption Saga

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Commonwealth Games 2010 - Aftermath

Post by chetak »

Singha wrote:I have good/bad news - Ramachandra guha has been offered a endowed chair professorship in history and foreign relations in LSE.

This useless guy is a manufactured "historian"

He has no qualifications but is ideologically compatible to push forward some dhimmi ideas.

Now, suddenly has been unleashed on the public as some chair or the other in the LSE.

He will spew forth on the ayodhya verdict which is the primary reason to give him such a high profile chair and international visibility.

Historian, my foot. More like a dhimmi uncle tom.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Commonwealth Games-New Delhi 2010

Post by ramana »

Its same as Romila aunty getting Kluge Chair at Smithsonian. A safe spot to spew bile to normatize the Indians. In the end all thse vultures will suffer same fate as eminent historians-ignominy.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

anyone got any good pics of the lal-chicks?
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

ramana wrote:Its same as Romila aunty getting Kluge Chair at Smithsonian. A safe spot to spew bile to normatize the Indians. In the end all thse vultures will suffer same fate as eminent historians-ignominy.
Text book execution of "culture mgmt" in Org Theory.

Promote, recognize, and reward/award (occupying) culture's champions. Redicule, deny-space for the agents of local culture.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Lalmohan wrote:anyone got any good pics of the lal-chicks?
Lal chicks? :-?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ the two babeloge dancing with rahman bhai at close of opening ceremony
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

I thought Lal-chicks were Indic versions of Charlie's angels with Lal-mullah in place of Charlie. :mrgreen:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

lalmulla, Google search thrwws this set of images. 4/123

http://photogallery.indiatimes.com/arti ... 681727.cms
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Stan ji's post

WOW! That was a great post Stan ji. Certainly addressed my immediate inquiry and gave further pointers for me to explore.

I am convinced that if we could sell all the malham-patti to the victims, why not stick around and milk to our needs. I absolutely agree that we should use this platform to achieve our geopolitical objectives to whatever extent possible - net-net there is potential to harness and it will take humougous efforts to put something like this from scratch (heck...we aren't even getting great tracktion on the five letter association that begins with SA***). added later: Those bullet points out of MEA website - looks like a shoddy job to me but I understand justifying this shoddy club isn't going to be easy anyway.

Something we should aim achieving after making abundantly clear that our presence in this is indispensible:
- Change the god damn name
- increase membership to include more friends; convert some NAM members into this
- successfuly use stick against a few to the benefit of many in the club - brown and white taleban can/should be beaten at every opportunity
- increase leverage over UN; G20 etc
- pilot ideas around Rupee trade :)

I will have to refer to those pointers on white talebans (OZs), White sufis (Kiwis), and the links related to Cricket to understand historical perspective. Will do over weekend.

Thanks for your perspective; I enjoyed it (as always) - ruthlessly and refreshingly India centric.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

What is with the Indian athletes training in ukraine and weightlifters in belarus?

“It seems they get a sea breeze in Yalta which, I am told, is very good for the athletes,” said a government official some weeks ago when asked about the special permission being granted to a group of athletes to train there

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/athletics ... 818141.ece
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story ... letes.html
http://www.hindu.com/2010/08/31/stories ... 751600.htm

Now that the games are over, can someone explain that in biomechanics to me? Did GoI officials use "sea breeze" as the excuse to send athletes to Ukraine for "training." I mean, a multi-medal winner such as Gurbachan Singh Randhawa finds it rotfl-able. The reason I am spooked by this whole thing is because such associations get connected with blood doping type jamboree, championed by former elite soviet doctors.
http://www.indianexpress.com/oldStory/53480/
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-spo ... 617994.ece
http://www.hinduonnet.com/2004/08/09/st ... 631600.htm
And also, because Indian sporting arena is littered with doping cases that are never brought to justice. The testing with NADA is so lax that someone sued it for procedural violations and got away with an automatic two year ban. And crikkitirs have roughshod NADA using some shady clauses. The Indian weightlifting squad and athletics squad are no pristine exhibits in this matter either. Bringing in doping in furrin countries is no alibi either. I am seriously surprised by how pristine the whole thing sounds.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

would a kind soul please pass the Nycil powder? *scratch scratch aussie khujli*

--
zee news
$20,000 challenge for CWG champ Poonia
Updated on Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 09:20

New Delhi: India’s champion discus thrower Krishna Poonia, who became the first athlete from the country to capture a Commonwealth Games gold medal in track and field since Milkha Singh’s feat in 1958, at the recently concluded mega sporting event, has another challenge on her hands.

If reports in certain media sections are to be believed, world champion Dani Samules has challenged Poonia to a USD 20,000 winner takes all match. Samules was reportedly miffed with Poonia for making comments about poor form being the reason for her withdrawal from the Delhi CWG.

Speaking to a leading news daily about the challenge thrown at her, Poonia said, “I am not kicked about the $20,000 prize money. I am fully focussed on winning the gold at the Asian Games. However, I am ready for any challenge Dani throws at me. If she wants to contest before the Asian Games, she will have to come to India. I don’t want to travel abroad as it would affect my schedule. If the match-up is after the Asian Games, I am ready to travel anywhere to compete against her.”

A Sydney based newspaper on Monday quoted Samuels’ manager Hayden Knowles as saying, “It could be enormous. It could be like a boxing match. A sponsor has offered $20,000 winner-takes-all, making it the biggest cash prize for a discus event in the world. Sydney’s Olympic Park Centre can host the event.”

However, Poonia’s husband and coach Virendra denied having been contacted for any such challenge.

"We have not been contacted as yet, I am just hearing from journalists. But we are are ready if such a contest is happening," Virendra told an Indian newspaper.

"Krishna had beaten Samuels at a competition at Salinas at California in United States in 2008. So, we are ready for such a contest," he added.

While Poonia has a personal best throw of 63.69 meters, Samules is marginally ahead with a best of 65.84. Both these throws were recorded earlier in the year.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

^^^^^

If this challenge isn't regular Aussie horse (or should it be pig? I get konphused) manure, then GoI should tell Poonia that she would be given permission only if the contest is held at the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium.

And Singha it's just not khujli. Like the cricketers their athletes want Indian money. Other reports said that the Aussies would try to rope in Indian TV coverage, presumably to rake in more moola than the $20,000.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

if Poonia is smart she will just ignore this and focus on Asiad. get us the gold.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

nachiket wrote:I thought Lal-chicks were Indic versions of Charlie's angels with Lal-mullah in place of Charlie. :mrgreen:
tere mooh mein ghee shakkar!
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Lalmohan wrote:
nachiket wrote:I thought Lal-chicks were Indic versions of Charlie's angels with Lal-mullah in place of Charlie. :mrgreen:
tere mooh mein ghee shakkar!
Lal-mullah, what did you do to the third angel? And do you have an ex-angel out there to get you? :mrgreen:
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

with old age, i habh to cut down on numbers of angels... :(
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Lalmohan wrote:with old age, i habh to cut down on numbers of angels... :(
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Crowd in India during CWG was abusive: Pak hockey captain
KARACHI: The Pakistan Hockey Federation and national captain Zeeshan Ashraf feel one reason for the team's poor Commonwealth Games performance was the crowd behaviour in Delhi which has become "abusive" after the Mumbai terror attacks.

PHF secretary Asif Bajwa said the feedback he had got from the team was that the players were subjected to more abuse and insults then they were used to facing by Indian spectators before the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008.

"It is now more difficult for our players when they play in India and there is more pressure on them because of the treatment they get from the spectators," he said.

Bajwa was manager of the Pakistan team that finished 12th in the World Cup held in New Delhi earlier this year and was removed from the manager's post as a result of the poor show.

In the Commonwealth Games, Pakistan finished sixth in the hockey event.

Bajwa said players had told him about the pressures they faced in the Commonwealth Games because of the crowd behaviour.

"It is disappointing for this to happen. I am not making excuses for our team losing to India but there is greater pressure on them now," he added.

Ashraf said the players came in for some "strong insults and at times even abusive language when they played in the Commonwealth Games."

"It was a bit too much for the players the way the spectators kept away at us and reminding us we were TFTA Pakistanis," he said.

"Certainly it seems after the Mumbai incident the spectators try to make life difficult for us whenever we play in India. It happened to us throughout the Commonwealth Games which is unfortunate because sports is sports," Ashraf said.

Pakistan were beaten by India in both the World Cup and Commonwealth Games.

Ashraf, however, maintained that his team didn't play badly in the Games.

"We fought hard against champions Australia losing by just one goal and if you see India lost to them by eight goals. I am sure in the Asian Games our players will give a much more improved performance," he said.

Next Year's Champions Trophy hockey is also planned in India with the FIH agreeing to give wild card entries to Pakistan and India for the competition.
ToI
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

CWG probe: I-T raid on BJP leader Sudhanshu Mittal
Among those whose premises were visited by the tax sleuths was senior leader of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Sudhanshu Mittal, whose close relatives have won some Games contracts, a senior official of the department said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had also set up the high-level committee headed by former comptroller and auditor general VK Shunglu to look into all matters relating to the conduct and organisation of the Games.

The prime minister had also directed the ministries concerned to conduct thorough investigations into all complaints received of procedural and other irregularities and said that those found guilty should face severe and exemplary punishment.

Among the various agencies conducting a probe are the Central Bureau of Investigation, the Directorate of Enforcement, Directorate of Revenue Intelligence, the Central Vigilance Commission and the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

^ Serves the BJP right to deal with shady characters.
Now see how bjps name will be dragged into this
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

where one pig has its nose in the trough, all other pigs will follow
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

AdityaM wrote:^ Serves the BJP right to deal with shady characters.
+1. I was looking for an English news link to post the above news. I feel this move is to clearly convey a message to BJP that it is better they shut up. CWG was a looting game by politicians in Delhi, and cuts across party lines. Perhaps it would be the political and business class in New Delhi which would be having the last laugh (with BJP once again sulking ;)).
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

I just hope whoever is guilty be it Congress, BJP or any other nomenclature is brought to book. I know that, that may be a tall order. However, the visible public anger and CAG's involvement gives me slight hope.

It would be nice if some folks lodge PILs in court too to keep the pressure. And yes irrespective of whether they are guilty or not the CWG OC should be carted our of any official post for sheer inefficiency.
CWG was a looting game by politicians in Delhi, and cuts across party lines. Perhaps it would be the political and business class in New Delhi which would be having the last laugh (with BJP once again sulking ;)).
An astute observation. And just goes to show when it comes to looting it's the political class and not Congress or BJP (or any other party) alone.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

CWG scam too big, order JPC probe, says Gadkari
He said the Central Bureau of Investigation should also investigate corruption charges and submit its report within three months.

Gadkari claimed that BJP has substantial documents to prove the involvement of political leaders and the party would submit them to a JPC.

"All types of increase in estimates were approved by the Cabinet sub committee and the PMO. Before approving (the inflated cost), why they did not verify," Gadkari said wondering "whether the whole Cabinet is responsible for the chaos and corruption in CWG preparations".

Gadkari claimed that benami financial deals took place in CWG projects through the Mauritius route.

He said that out of the Rs 70,000 crore spent on the Games, only Rs 350 crore were spent on Indian sportspersons.

Let the Games begin!
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

Dil Khush Hua :D
Indian army's Mission Olympics reaping rewards
The Indian Army's sole role over the years is guarding the country. Now it has added responsibility -- producing Olympic champions.And one major sport where it is already making its presence felt strongly is shooting.Nine shooters from the army participated in the Delhi Games and they ended up with nine medals, including two silver

In fact, the army sportspersons' success was not just limited to shooting. The defence guys also excelled in wrestling, archery and weightlifting
Lieutenant General Ramesh Halgali revealed that the Indian army invested heavily in the shooters and the results are showing.
"I think the performance of the army shooting team has been exceptionally good. It is because of the unstinted training and support that we have provided our shooters. We have the Mission Olympics program, and at Mhow we have the Army Marksman Unit. All our shooters are given upgraded equipments, good facilities and motivation. I think it is a matter of pride for the Indian army that each year our shooters perform at national and international levels and their performances have been exceptionally outstanding," Halgali said.
Halgali, who is also the director general of military training, also delved on the Indian army's sport-specific programme called the Mission Olympics.
"Mission Olympics is an event that was started a few years ago. It is run by the Indian army where in we choose the youngest of our soldiers. We catch them young. We pick them from various places and bring them to these five nodes that we have in the army. In each node we train them with state of the art equipment. We continuously give them facilities and promote them and the results are before you," he said
It has also been mentioned in the above article that Mission Olympics started in 2001, but it became fully functional only in 2005, and since then a lot of athletes have come and improved. Its a very good news and gives the confidence that future of sports would be great. I am sure in future, if not in near future, we will win many medals in both the Olympics and Asian Games all because of Indian Army.
My Salute to Indian Army once again!!
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

CVC exposes Rs 8,000 cr Commonwealth Games scam :evil:
The Central Vigilance Commission, involved in probing the alleged corruption in various Commonwealth Games-related projects, has found discrepancies in tenders and alleged misappropriation amounting to about Rs 8,000 crore.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

So out of 70,000 crores so far accounted for items in the media are :

~ Rs 15,000 crores ($3billion) for the T3
~ 350 crores on athletes (training & prep ?)
~ Rs 5,000 crores ($1 billion) on Delhi metro (?)
~ Rs 5,000 crores ($1 billion) on CW games expenses
~ Rs 5,000 crores ($1 billion ) on road infrastructure over the last two years.
~ Rs 15,000 crores ($3 billion) on stadia at ~ $300 million each.
~ Rs 6-12,000 crores (~$2 billion) on Games village assuming Rs 1-2 crore per flat
I am assuming the extension and related costs for metro only, if it has indeed come out of the same funds.

So ~ Rs 10,000 crores ($2 billion) is missing as per madrassa math alone ?
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

jagga, did not see your post before i came up with the above number, pretty close. :-)
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

People have completely lost any sense of proportion it seems to justify their gods! After all just like eminent historians there is no other truth but whatever that is stated by the media/sarkar.

S Mittal is a businessman/fixer (with his mentor dead) who may or may not have executed his contracts faithfully and he needs to visit the "sasuraal" for that, if it gets proven. His party affiliation is to BJP, so? Are people here telling us that corruption by government functionaries in various high offices is == a corrupt contractor affiliated to a party? So allegations of corruption against the chief executives of the land are somehow morally, legally and ethically equivalent to a known bad egg contractor? Keep the merry charade going for the consumption of the choir but reality is for all to see.

This is clearly the line used in aftermath of 26/11 of "all politicians" being responsible.

So Mantri to Santri on one side and S Mittal counter balances them all, he must be a powerful man! Lahori logic at its finest. Keep the yarns coming..
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

shat shat pranam Bade Miyan
What took CVC gang months to find out, you have done with your computer and google devta in few minutes onlee :mrgreen:
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

No google...all numbers from musharraf onlee.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Delhi Metro Phase 2 cost Rs.20000 crore ($4.5 billion)
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

The capital cost of completion of Phase I has been estimated as Rs.10, 571 crores.
Phase I cost from official page
Phase I length 65 kms. stations=59
Phase II length 124.6 kms. stations=83

Though, the official page does not yet have the Phase II costs, assuming a factor of 2, from the numbers above it does make sense to put it at ~ Rs 20,000 crores.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

The ministry of civil aviation is planning to once again ask GMR, which leads the consortium developing the Delhi International Airport (DIAL), for a detailed explanation over cost overrun.

The current estimate pegs the cost of modernising this airportat Rs 12,700 crore, significantly higher than the earlier-projected Rs 9,875 crore
GMR’s Delhi airport cost overrun in focus again This is from Jun 2010
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Delhi Metro Phase 2 was build approximately during the CWG2010 preparatory timeframe (2004-2010), as opposed to Phase 1, which was build between 1998-2003 or so (Delhi was awarded CWG2010 in 2003, as far as I recall). So the Phase 2 costs are a proper representation of the Delhi Metro capital investment portion of the now famous Rs.70K crore figure. DEL T3 cost ~Rs.13000 crore.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

So we need to still account for the rest after removing the Rs 32,700 crore and Rs 350 crore for which google links exist.

Now will have to revise the games village costs (downward) and road infra costs in light of above concrete numbers.
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

DDA taking over 700 Games Village flats
The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) Monday started the process of taking over 700 of the 1,168 Commonwealth Games Village flats from the Organising Committee (OC), officials said.
The total number of FLats are 1168. I am not sure whats the cost of CWG village flats. If we take an average of 2.5 crore for each it turns out to be Approx Rs 3000 crore.From the below link the construction cost of CWG Village is Rs 1000 crore
DDA finds lapses in Games' village construction by builder
The 1,168 flats in the village were constructed at a cost of over Rs.1,000 crore and the project was delayed.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

I had used the number of athletes to arrive at the larger figure. Yes it is only ~1168 units as per below with varying bhk.
The Commonwealth Games Village 2010, is a landmark integrated residential project in Delhi, spread over 27 acres adjacent to the world-renowned Akshardham Temple. The project involves development of 1168 apartments spread across 34 towers, with almost four million square feet of constructed area. These apartments range from 2 to 5 bedroom units (ranging from 1400 sq ft to 3,500 sq ft), and will be used initially to house athletes and officials during the Commonwealth Games 2010. The company is currently marketing the project to potential customers and has received a good response. The apartments shall be handed over to the buyers after the Games.

link
http://emaarmgf.com/CGV/CWGV_Brochure.pdf but does not have numbers.

So using 4 million sqft at even inflated rate of Rs5000/sqft is only Rs 20 billion or in familiar terms Rs 2000 crores for the Games Village.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Still left to account for the rest of the Rs35,000 crores.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

So we're looking at the numbers and trying to add it up to Rs.70,000 crore. This presumes that the Rs.70,000 crore figure is indisputable, even though it only started making the rounds during the :(( moments before the games began. Why does it have such credibility ?