Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

Post by shiv »

Leo.Davidson wrote:
shiv wrote:"Leo.Davidson" said:

Well Madrasi, I'll try to be more articulate, Just for You. Apparently, I need to explain in many words, pictures, etc. or you don't get it.

:rotfl: Ah - you have dropped your chaddi by yourself friend! You know as much about Indian languages as about missiles. Thanks for going out of your way to look stupid - "Leo. Davidson"
Who needs enemies, when surrounded with people like you?
Correct boss. You are a fast learner. Madrasis can be bad enemies when you post rubbish and get your chaddis in a twist when asked to explain. If you feel Pakis are better you know where you can find them.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Jo...... wo Boston mein ....... :mrgreen:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Excellent information rakall. So, I see the reason now canisterization is important for feeling secure, in addition to the usability qualities you have mentioned. I also see that it could become a requirement for NFU going by these qualities, because mobility and survivability drives the NFU requirements.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

shiv ji and others, kindly do not continue this. if someone wants to commit soosai, I will help them along, no need to derail this thread in the process.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

Rahul M wrote:shiv ji and others, kindly do not continue this. if someone wants to commit soosai, I will help them along, no need to derail this thread in the process.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

> racetrack pattern over BRFATA.

a bad sign. run, hide or die.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Badar wrote:GD, SS was the resident rocketry expert right? Which forums might those be ... if mentioning the forum is not verboten.
Arun_S is available on india-forum.com :

http://www.india-forum.com/forums/index ... e__st__660
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Rocket Launcher.

She develops missiles for a living, but Prashanth Chintala is struck by how much Tessy Thomas looks like a typical middle-class housewife.Born in Alleppey, close to the Thumba Rocket Launching Station in Kerala, Tessy Thomas has been familiar with the sounds of rockets launching since childhood. But she could not have imagined then that four decades down the line she herself would develop and launch missiles.

The 48-year-old scientist at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), fondly dubbed “missile woman” or “Agni Putri” (daughter of fire) by the media, heads the team that successfully tested the Agni-IV missile last month. Agni-IV, that can hit a target as far away as 3,500 kilometres, is the longest range missile developed indigenously until now. And Thomas is the first-ever woman director of an Indian missile project. Naturally she has caught the attention of the nation. Yet she remains unassuming, laughing away the attention. “It is okay. I am happy that people have come to know what we have done, that we have successfully tested a world-class system. Full credit goes to DRDO, not to any individual,” she says.

A shy woman with a friendly smile, Thomas looks like a typical middle-class housewife and is difficult to imagine as leader of a team of high-profile scientists engaged in developing missiles. Even the second-floor apartment allotted to her by DRDO looks like any old government flat with olld-fashioned mosaic flooring. Modest in size and furnishing, the only decoration in the spotlessly clean sitting area are three Agni prototypes and a memento, and the only indication of the importance of her job is the armed guard outside.

Thomas is currently focusing on developing Agni-V. The nuclear-capable missile will have a 5,000-km range and place India in an elite club of nations like the US, Russia and China that are capable of producing Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs). “We are preparing to test Agni-V in the next two months,” Thomas says. Currently, the longest range ICBM in the world is capable of hitting a target 12,000 km away. Asked whether we have a long way to go to achieve that capability, Thomas says “that is for the DRDO to say, not me” adding, however, that the required “technology is in our hands”.

If Thomas sounds confident, she has reason to be. Agni-IV marks several innovations in missile technology. One, its composite rocket motor is made of lightweight composites instead of the heavier “maraging steel” used earlier. Other firsts include a high-accuracy ring-laser gyroscope-based inertial navigation system, a micro-navigation system and a powerful new onboard computer which helps Agni-IV strike close to the target and so carry smaller nuclear warheads.

Interested in science and mathematics since she was in school, Thomas did her BTech from Thrissur Engineering College at Kozhikode, where she took up radar systems — an “odd choice” for an electrical engineer — as an elective. Soon afterwards, Thomas saw a recruitment advertisement by DRDO for scientists and joined the organisation in 1985. Thereafter, she did an MTech in guided-missiles from the Pune-based Defence Institute of Advanced Technologies.

As Thomas had a missiles technology background, former President A P J Abdul Kalam, who was then director of DRDO’s Advanced Systems Laboratory, assigned her the Agni missile project in 1988. Two decades later, she became the project director. When Agni-II Prime, Agni-IV’s earlier avatar, plunged into the Bay of Bengal just 30 seconds after its launch last December, Thomas was disappointed. “Technically no fault was found. We immediately sent it for analysis. We later found that there were control-related problems,” she recalls. Thomas, however, did not allow the failure to get her down. “The event disheartens, [but] there is always an opportunity to learn from such episodes as the system is being developed for the first time.”

The “textbook fashion” launch of Agni-IV must have helped to silence the doubting Thomases this time.

Ever since Thomas has got involved in the Agni programme, she has had a gruelling work schedule. Her typical work day starts at about 4.30 in the morning. She cooks for the family before she leaves for office around 9 am, returning home around 10 pm. In fact, she had asked me to meet her at home at 8.30 am in order to be in office on time. “Even now the daily schedule is the same because there always is one project or the other to handle. I look after the mission part of the project.”

Nevertheless, Thomas feels she is “fortunate” to have such a job. “It is challenging and also gives a lot of satisfaction. Every core scientist in the DRDO has to put in a lot of hard work and to spend long hours in office to meet the tough schedules of the organisation,” she says. Thomas denies any gender-bias in the DRDO, saying she gets full cooperation from her team members. Her group consists of 12 scientists, with all of them interacting regularly as missile development is “not one person’s job”.

Thomas has no personal goals. All her goals are project-related. “I believe in doing my job and all the rest will happen in its own way,” she says. With her husband based in Visakhapatnam, where he is posted as a Navy commodore, and her son studying engineering at Vellore in Tamil Nadu, Thomas seems to have become adept at balancing her personal and professional lives.

Though Hyderabad has now become a second home for this Keralite, she has not yet decided whether to settle down permanently in the City of Pearls. “It all depends on where our son wants to settle down,” she says, as she gets up to rush to her office, the gun-wielding security guard running after her to the waiting car outside.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

A shy woman with a friendly smile, Thomas looks like a typical middle-class housewife and is difficult to imagine as leader of a team of high-profile scientists engaged in developing missiles. Even the second-floor apartment allotted to her by DRDO looks like any old government flat with olld-fashioned mosaic flooring. Modest in size and furnishing, the only decoration in the spotlessly clean sitting area are three Agni prototypes and a memento, and the only indication of the importance of her job is the armed guard outside.
tfta writer chintala should know tessy is sdre in principle:
“I believe in doing my job and all the rest will happen in its own way,”
only sdres can accomplish anti-dhoti-shivering missions. :twisted:
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Ever since Thomas has got involved in the Agni programme, she has had a gruelling work schedule. Her typical work day starts at about 4.30 in the morning. She cooks for the family before she leaves for office around 9 am, returning home around 10 pm. In fact, she had asked me to meet her at home at 8.30 am in order to be in office on time. “Even now the daily schedule is the same because there always is one project or the other to handle. I look after the mission part of the project.”
Hat tip to the tons of true patriots like Tessy madam who are sacrificing their family life for sake of the nation!!
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Vipul wrote:Rocket Launcher.

She develops missiles for a living....

The 48-year-old scientist at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), fondly dubbed “missile woman” or “Agni Putri” (daughter of fire)...............

I hope GOI gives and other scientist ZZZ+++ cover, instead of giving to some politician, sportsman, film star, racketeer etc

K
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Establishing the baselines always needs extra work. It is a common rule all over the world. Nowhere, things have been established without any effort. Giving a reference to these thoughts on success is as vital as when we support them when things does not move per requirements.

Now, I don't see these efforts are sacrifices, rather their duty to the nation. The real users of these technologies are actually sacrificing for the nation, especially those who fight in the front.

JMT
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Kersi Read the last line.

I think her having an electrical background is a great plus for now missiles are more about electrical(sub-systems, guidance, controls etc) than the motors. And she seems to have systems mind. IOW a whole new mind that guides new programs.

Once she completes the AV she should be used for higher things as I said earlier.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Shiv might remember an old post of mine,link of pics of a brilliant Russian launch vehicle,missiles stored/hidden in std. sized containers.I have stupidly lost the link,if anyone has the same,pl. post it.One important factor is missile production capability with respect to the Agni series.We are now told by the US that the PRC have upto 3000 N-warheads/missiles in massive networks of underground tunnels,far more than earlier estimated (400-500).Evn if they reserve a goodly portion of that huge inventory for use against the US,Russia,etc.,it is a number far in excess than its needs against the two superpowers.Apart from these N-missiles,it has thousands of tactical missiles for use against Taiwan and India.It seriously calls into Q what our numbers ought to be.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

tessy madam could spearhead the much needed help in turbine area.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Philip. All the more reason to delay the FMCO until PRC comes clean on their stocks and not rely on massa guesstimates!
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Manish_Sharma wrote:
Badar wrote:GD, SS was the resident rocketry expert right? Which forums might those be ... if mentioning the forum is not verboten.
Arun_S is available on india-forum.com :

http://www.india-forum.com/forums/index ... e__st__660
Thanks Manish.
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

She develops missiles for a living, but Prashanth Chintala is struck by how much Tessy Thomas looks like a typical middle-class housewife
I would say "missile-class"
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Lots of stereo-typing by another female reporter. :(
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

ramana wrote:Lots of stereo-typing by another female reporter. :(
Totally agree.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I thought "Prashanth Chintala" was 'he'.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

yes and that too a telugu going by the last name - inti peru(house name .. literal translation)
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

sum wrote:.......Hat tip to the tons of true patriots like Tessy madam who are sacrificing their family life for sake of the nation!!
If the measure of patriotism is putting your money where your mouth is, then you will be surprised to learn how many women are behind many of our jingo products.

There are labs in DRDO institutions filled with women leading and working on critical projects (which are multi part threads on BR totally dominated by the male jingos).

I was particularly impressed with lady (she does things that makes the LCA fly....nuff said). If you see this lady on the road you will NOT believe what she does for a living. And she really truly loves her job there was a glint in her eyes when she talks about her team's work.

If you take the jingo out of what they are doing and think of it purely as a science based project, there is no reason why gender should matter.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A chem engg by chance?
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

^^^ Throughout nature, it is usually the female of a species that most dutifully and ferociously serves the role of 'protector'.

The last thing I want to see when I'm "in the woods" is a mother bear on one side of me, and her cubs on the other.
That would be the last thing I would see.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I can read special attributes of achievers, and enjoy reading... however, generalizing some aspects of living, and applying to the mass is hard to read.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

SaiK wrote:tessy madam could spearhead the much needed help in turbine area.
That might be too big a change and one that doesn't leverage her depth of experience.

I'd vote for her involvement in and oversight of an Indian BVR-AAM.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The best thing that we can get from people like Kalam and Tessy-mol is a culture of grooming new people to take on the job. That is far more important than having one person running programs that can take decades to mature fully.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Altair wrote:
She develops missiles for a living, but Prashanth Chintala is struck by how much Tessy Thomas looks like a typical middle-class housewife
I would say "missile-class"
:D :D :D :D
nitinr
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nitinr »

^^
+1 to what Shiv Sir said.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

ramana wrote:Kersi Read the last line.

I think her having an electrical background is a great plus for now missiles are more about electrical(sub-systems, guidance, controls etc) than the motors. And she seems to have systems mind. IOW a whole new mind that guides new programs.

Once she completes the AV she should be used for higher things as I said earlier.
Are we going to stop at AV or go to AVI (8000 kms) and AX (10000 kms) ?

K

I meant that she & others id DRDO, BARC etc MUST be given Z+ ++ protection. K
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

^^^ I was expecting to read news on the indigenous IIR seeker but it was a pleasant surprise to read that it was the mmW seeker. Good that it has been tested at 2km range. They have tested it in the LOBL mode, will be interesting to see it tested on LOAL mode that would pave the way for HELINA testing. But anyways dont know when the forces will order it in number if at all they would. I guess there would be an endless series of trials for another year and then DRDO will be back making modifications to it as suggested by the IA and IA will happily buy some missile off the shelf. Feeling sad for DRDO :((
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

pass me a lungi.
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

Good to know the progress being made in the NAG, time to test more and get it in front of the users.
chandanus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by chandanus »

suryag wrote:^^^ I was expecting to read news on the indigenous IIR seeker but it was a pleasant surprise to read that it was the mmW seeker. Good that it has been tested at 2km range. They have tested it in the LOBL mode, will be interesting to see it tested on LOAL mode that would pave the way for HELINA testing. But anyways dont know when the forces will order it in number if at all they would. I guess there would be an endless series of trials for another year and then DRDO will be back making modifications to it as suggested by the IA and IA will happily buy some missile off the shelf. Feeling sad for DRDO :((
Wow ..the Scientists involved in this need to awarded in a big way.. :(( :(( ..also..surya ....As far the the forces are concerned..in times of war....and when they will face issues..with imported stuff...will jump on and garb anything they see with complaining !!!!
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

^^^Chandanus ji it is not as if they can pick up the mmw seeker as if they picked up maggi noodles and then set off to war, they need to hone their tactics w.r.t mmw seeker, dont know if their tactics learnt with IIR seeker will apply straight to the new seeker :(
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

suryag ji, I don't think there is reason to be despondent, yet. For as long as we knew nothing about progress with the indigenous seeker, we were all upset at IA for not buying Nags aplently. Now we know an indigenous seeker with all-weather capability was in the works.

Let us wait for the LOAL proof test and then distribute lungis, bhang and rasgullas.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Nag Project Director S. S. Mishra said that in Sunday's flight, the seeker's capability to track the target in a ‘Lock-on-Before-Launch' method, right from the missile's firing and throughout the trajectory, was successfully demonstrated. In future, the seeker would be used in a system in ‘Lock-on-After-Launch' mode for extension of the range.
I expect the desi brimstone++ soon.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Some weeks back there was news about indigenous IIR seeker and now there is reference to indigenous MMR seekers. These are very very important technological developments with massive applications across the board