Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by rohitvats »

What is obvious from the pics is that this is from a personal trip..kids belong to families of afsars from IN. Pics taken for personal use should not be put on blogs or forums like BR. There are not many such pics of SF, and especially MARCOS, in the public domain.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

rohitvats wrote:What is obvious from the pics is that this is from a personal trip..kids belong to families of afsars from IN. Pics taken for personal use should not be put on blogs or forums like BR. There are not many such pics of SF, and especially MARCOS, in the public domain.
Rohit, I would agree if this was from a personal picasa Album or a facebook page.. but its from a public blog...
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Jagan wrote:
rohitvats wrote:What is obvious from the pics is that this is from a personal trip..kids belong to families of afsars from IN. Pics taken for personal use should not be put on blogs or forums like BR. There are not many such pics of SF, and especially MARCOS, in the public domain.
Rohit, I would agree if this was from a personal picasa Album or a facebook page.. but its from a public blog...
Agreed, Sir.

My comment was generic and aimed more at people making such trips and taking snaps. People, especially fauji kids, need to be carefull. One can be casually exposed to sensitive information w/o realising so.
m mittal
BRFite -Trainee

Post by m mittal »

Well guys, just wanted to respond to the bashing on my "sleazy" comment. I had put H in IMHO in bold for a reason and I guess everyone missed that. What is so wrong when someone says that I have not seen that in USA. Is that an attack on India? Well, I was just sharing my experience. I live in USA but have been a consistent reader and follower of BR and multiple other sites since the last 4-5 years. And this is just because I am a proud Indian and I want my country to be the best.

I stand by my comment that I think our military is over doing it and TO ME it seems sleazy.

I know this is an OT....so hopefully, we can move on and carry on the jingo orgasmic discussions!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

that's precisely the point isn't it ? if US was doing it you won't have called it sleazy or overdoing it. ;)
cheers.
m mittal
BRFite -Trainee

Post by m mittal »

Rahul, I call it sleazy because I see that in each and every celebration in our Indian military, u see any military exercise, army day, navy day, vijay diwas etc etc etc and frankly I don't see anything big in it. Then, as I don't have a military background, I did some research and found that not just the US but none of the other militaries around the world show the helo hanging thing so frequently and prominently. I was just wondering is it our media obsession or it is our military.

Now if anyone still wants to bash my comment, you can consider urself the winner in this debate and for God's sake please move on.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

m mittal wrote:Well guys, just wanted to respond to the bashing on my "sleazy" comment. I had put H in IMHO in bold for a reason and I guess everyone missed that. What is so wrong when someone says that I have not seen that in USA. Is that an attack on India? Well, I was just sharing my experience. I live in USA
Not so fast sir. No one missed the crap that you wrote and you need to ski further downhill

You said:
m mittal wrote:IMHO this helo hanging thing is kinda sleazy and our military have been over doing it.
Here are a few definitions of sleazy
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sleazy
1.contemptibly low, mean, or disreputable: sleazy politics.
2.squalid; sordid; filthy; dilapidated: a sleazy hotel.
3.thin or poor in texture, as a fabric; cheap; flimsy: a sleazy dress; a sleazy excuse.
You have the gumption to ask "is that an attack on India"? No. It is just a cheap sleazy insult. I know you live in the USA. And you are expressing an opinion that you think that the Indian Army looks sleazy. I think you are a sleazy idiot to do that on this forum IMHO. Note the IMHO. Just sharing my experience.

You take back your insult to the Indian army and I take back mine.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

We have to draw a line somewhere between this blatant conclusion of some people living in US making critical comments on Indian Military as being equivalent of praising US military and some sort of sycophancy shown towards west. Though I am not subscribing to the opinion of poster as the stunt being sleazy simply because Airshows are few and far between in India.. and aam juntas hardly has exposure or interest in military in general. Any kind of Bollywoodisque stunt is far more cheer and thrill inducing then some highly technical fighter roll with superb handling..etc...however. this level of flaming to any new individual is eventually going to make any newbie to think multiple times before posting in the fear of getting thrashed if a post does not suit the liking of some.. my very very honest and humble opinion is to bring down the temperature a little bit...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Prithwiraj wrote:this level of flaming to any new individual is eventually going to make any newbie to think multiple times before posting in the fear of getting thrashed
Boss you come to Bharat Rakshak forum and you call the Indian army sleazy merely because they rappel from helos in shows and it does not happen in the USA you are asking for a bruising. It you want to be suckled, loved, nurtured and mollycoddled for being insulting this is not the place for you. You will get insulted right back.

Especially if one comes up with lame and incredible excuses for being an idiot.
m mittal
BRFite -Trainee

Post by m mittal »

How old are u shiv....let me guess 2 years?

Anyways ur mouthful doesn't mean a squat to me...

I DID NOT insult Indian Army, I was just talking about one act of public depiction of our armed forces. Is that what u think Indian Armed Forces is all about? Yes printing US and even Pakistan fighters on the pamphlets is also our Indian Armed Forces but that is just an act of public depiction and I am sure even a 2 year old would know that talking about it means we are not insulting the armed forced in toto but an act of public depiction, which historically our military has not done been very good at.

You have obviously done the oxford dictionary search of the word sleazy, now please also increase ur knowledge to see other uses of this word in slang. I would recommend http://www.urbandictionary.com
Last edited by m mittal on 28 Dec 2011 09:49, edited 2 times in total.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

shiv wrote:
Prithwiraj wrote:this level of flaming to any new individual is eventually going to make any newbie to think multiple times before posting in the fear of getting thrashed
Boss you come to Bharat Rakshak forum and you call the Indian army sleazy merely because they rappel from helos in shows and it does not happen in the USA you are asking for a bruising. It you want to be suckled, loved, nurtured and mollycoddled for being insulting this is not the place for you. You will get insulted right back.

Especially if one comes up with lame and incredible excuses for being an idiot.
so you think people who have been following BRF for 5-6 years.. or even more like an opium as a reader... are doing it because they just want to bad mouth the Indian Defense establishment? I am seriously at a loss looking at such low level of tolerance and blatant bullying that comes from you Sir...
Ganesh_S
BRFite

Post by Ganesh_S »

m mittal wrote:Well guys, just wanted to respond to the bashing on my "sleazy" comment. I had put H in IMHO in bold for a reason and I guess everyone missed that. What is so wrong when someone says that I have not seen that in USA. Is that an attack on India? Well, I was just sharing my experience. I live in USA but have been a consistent reader and follower of BR and multiple other sites since the last 4-5 years. And this is just because I am a proud Indian and I want my country to be the best.

I stand by my comment that I think our military is over doing it and TO ME it seems sleazy.

I know this is an OT....so hopefully, we can move on and carry on the jingo orgasmic discussions!
IMO there is a significance. what you regardlessly term as Helo-hanging has been an effective way of deploying troops during many Anti terror operations within India. In contrast the US doesnt face similar threats within its teritory and outside they use drones which create a lot of ethical issues. The difference is that US can afford to be immoral and boast while India has to show restrain and continue doing things the harder way.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

m mittal wrote: Anyways ur mouthful does't mean squat to me...
Well the entire Indian army doesn't mean squat to you so your reaction to me is not surprising. What you have done is to make an insulting statement about the Indian army, calling them sleazy for demonstrating rappelling from a helicopter and now you are trying to defend yourself by digging up alternative meanings that help you ski downhill.

You don't even seem to know that the word "sleazy" is insulting and you need to be told that. This is a forum where words like "c.h.i.n.k." are replaced by *** and I think it is offensive that your remark has gone unquestioned and that you choose to leave it unedited.

I suspect you are going to be more careful with your language in future and you can be damn sure I am going to pounce on you for being an insensitive twit. You are going to need your immunity to my words if you choose to be your insulting pompous self on this forum.
Last edited by shiv on 28 Dec 2011 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

mittal saab, watch *any* military demo again and again and it will look boring and repetitive to all but 1% of the general population of hardcore enthusiasts.

if you hang around UK mil fora you will see what the avg reaction is to the red arrows aerobatics team from oldtimers, one of the most well regarded aerobatics team in the world. (they call it the red bores)
it's not their problem, it's your problem.

sleazy is defined as
(of a person or situation) Sordid, corrupt, or immoral.
(of a place) Squalid and seedy.

how exactly is rappelling down ropes corrupt, immoral or seedy.

sorry, you have made an extremely offensive comment and now making it worse by trying to defend it.

military demos are meant to acquaint the general public about what the forces do, it's not a TV reality show that they have to invent new and ever more exciting formats every year.

p.s. your link defines sleazy as
Shabby, dirty, and vulgar, often the word is associated with prostitutes

excellent, this has gone from merely offensive to utterly paki level moronic. :roll:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Prithwiraj wrote: so you think people who have been following BRF for 5-6 years.. or even more like an opium as a reader... are doing it because they just want to bad mouth the Indian Defense establishment? I am seriously at a loss looking at such low level of tolerance and blatant bullying that comes from you Sir...
Boss you can lurk for a century if you like. But it is preferable not to type insulting stuff when you choose to say something. Lurking for long periods is a lame excuse for being insulting and then getting all puffed up with ego when the insult is pointed out. That is a game that anyone can play. Talking sense and admitting a possibly inadvertent error is more difficult.

if the man genuinely didn't realise he was insulting he could say so and he will be given a lot of respect. But he chooses to write what he wrote. Which is more fun of course. Here is a man who wants to play ego games on the forum. That is fine by me. I will play along cheerfully :lol:
m mittal
BRFite -Trainee

Post by m mittal »

well guys, sleazy also means lacking character.........and it is used very often in my circle not only in US but also in India. Again that was about that act and not to our armed forces. And I see Rahul's point that may be I have seen these videos too many times and they seem boring to me.

And I have been to only few local air shows here and never been to a big airshow. Although I must say I live across Hawker Beechcraft and can see their runway from my house, I was very excited when I started living here but now I guess I have been jaded. I have seen blue angels perform once, although, I have seen fly pasts before the football games multiple times.

Shiv, I am just going to ignore ur comments.

Truce guys!
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

First thing is that the best things our Armed Forces can do are never on display for the general public and us jingos.

Second is that these shows are also used as a PR exercise for attracting people and also impressing our , ahem, politicos.

Third, the use of the word "sleazy' suggests the writer is poorly educated. Both in the english language and generally.

The post is of the quality found in fora related to the purest caliphate written by their brilliant porkis :mrgreen:

Lets go back to groovy pics!

PS: he is in Yanqui land and to quote Professor Higgins :"They don't speak english"
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

m mittal wrote: Shiv, I am just going to ignore ur comments.
You will need that if you continue to be insulting and then try and hide behind stupid and arrogant excuses such as the ones you have posted so far. Put me on your ignore list straight away.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Rahul M wrote: p.s. your link defines sleazy as
Shabby, dirty, and vulgar, often the word is associated with prostitutes

excellent, this has gone from merely offensive to utterly paki level moronic. :roll:
Well its a measure of the knowledge gained in Khanland i guess, where the grammar and semantics are a thing of the past.

Mittal Sir,
It has been amply shown that what you said was not only degrading, but also offensive. Furthermore, by trying to defend your flawed statement, you have shown a bit of immaturity, if you will, by not understanding the ground realities of the country and the Armed Forces that you insulted.
The thing is, in USA, you could say there is an Air Show everyother month or so, whereas in India, these things happen only on certain occasions that are celebrated for the things achieved by the Indian Armed Forces. In that sense, is it wrong to showcase the skills and prowess of the soldiers and gain the confidence of the general public, which these days hears the about the Armed forces more for the wrong reasons than right.

I sincerely hope that you understand the intent with which this post is made and retract your comments and try to see things through the eyes of an Indian and not an NRI.
m mittal
BRFite -Trainee

Post by m mittal »

Well now if everyone is done getting hurt, can we move on!

enough, you do not post offensive comments, attack others who point it out and then make patronizing comments.
Rahul.
Last edited by Rahul M on 28 Dec 2011 10:44, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: user warned.
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

m mittal wrote:Well now if everyone is done getting hurt, can we move on!
No we can't move on. Who do you think you are making such comments and then have the b@ll$ to ask us to move on...? You think you are a mod now?

Some people give NRIs a bad name by taking this patronizing attitude.

Mods request action.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

that's enough on this thread. each new post on this topic will attract warnings.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Is this the Pics thread?

Please.
bharatreddyp
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bharatreddyp »

Austin wrote:Bhishma in Punjab

Dear BRFites, Just wanted to know , the mini flags that tanks have have in the Bhisma picture, is it only for ceremonial parade purpose or would they be there even when they are in combat. i am guessing that the flags denote the regiment/squadron or other such details and hence assuming that in operations such info may not be on display. i may be completely wrong...
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

^^ I think it denotes or signify that they belong to one regiment or group. I am not sure if it will be there in actual combat. :-?

I just love the 4 Bofors guns at the background on the left side.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

These small flags are called Gideon Flags and yes, they are unique to the Regiment.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

[img*]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8171/461y0086.jpg[/img][/quote]

the cameo looks more fitted for trees and bushes --what happens when a regiment gets suddenly relocated during wartime if possible at all... they redo the cameo?
abhinavjo
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhinavjo »

SagarAg wrote:These small flags are called Gideon Flags and yes, they are unique to the Regiment.
Yes, there's a Vijayant parked on the edge of drill square in IMA. Has a Red-Grey Gideon Flag. Those are the Colors of IMA. I'd send you a pic but I dont think its allowed to take one.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

the cameo looks more fitted for trees and bushes --what happens when a regiment gets suddenly relocated during wartime if possible at all... they redo the cameo?[/quote]
the word is camo, short for camouflage.

they would redo if there is time but relocation like that is a tad unlikely.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Rahul M wrote:
the cameo looks more fitted for trees and bushes --what happens when a regiment gets suddenly relocated during wartime if possible at all... they redo the cameo?
the word is camo, short for camouflage.

they would redo if there is time but relocation like that is a tad unlikely.[/quote]

yes.. sorry for the typo.....
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Whats the story behind this pic? Pirate attack?
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

Aditya G wrote:
Whats the story behind this pic? Pirate attack?
Yes.
http://frontierindia.net/indiandefence/ ... -to-china/
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

Loved it 8)
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

Chacko,

Can we have a better resolution of the picture from this news item.
Its a rare sight to see a Dhruv in operation at such high altitudes and senior personnel using it.

http://frontierindia.net/indiandefence/indian-army-northern-command-chief-visits-toops-at-line-of-control/
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

MN Kumar wrote:Chacko,

Can we have a better resolution of the picture from this news item.
Its a rare sight to see a Dhruv in operation at such high altitudes and senior personnel using it.

http://frontierindia.net/indiandefence/indian-army-northern-command-chief-visits-toops-at-line-of-control/
abhinavjo
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhinavjo »

Hiten wrote:some photos from the Chennai Airshow

http://glazzeye.blogspot.com/2007/04/ch ... -show.html
http://glazzeye.blogspot.com/2007/04/ch ... pters.html
http://glazzeye.blogspot.com/2007/04/ch ... g-sky.html
http://glazzeye.blogspot.com/2007/04/ch ... crowd.html
Ahh back when the Deepak's flew :(
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

Hiten wrote:the new Mi-17V-5 acquired by the IAF

http://www.aviationnews.eu/blog/wp-cont ... _India.jpg
Isn't the V5 supposed to have metal chin ?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-- ... 1577050/L/