Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by Tanaji »

Has anyone run CM10 Jelly bean on SGS1 yet? I am planning to was wondering if there were any prior experiences in this...
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Mort Walker wrote: One man's toy is another man's tool. Battery life of 12 hours is sufficient at this point, sure we would like more, but for now it works since we have access to power.
Actually it should be "One man's toy may be also his tool".
Yes it works for you but for a large majority of the install base of mobile phone users it still doesn't work as a tool or a toy or just works as a toy. Its not a question of whether it works for us and our kind - one doesn't design products that way especially something which is planned to be ubiquitous. And in this case its not about adding or bettering a functionality. In this case, we actually took a step backwards with respect to battery life, endurance and basic communication capability when it comes to smartphones. So right now its like 2 steps forward, 1 step backward.

BTW the statement you made is the equivalent of folks in the Silicon Valley thinking that everybody knows and uses FaceBook, Twitter and Google+ Hangouts - only after they get to the masses, do they realize that most of the world doesn't even know what these things are. :mrgreen: We fight about Chrome is better than Mozilla is better than IE, whereas the truth is that most of the browser using world doesn't even know what a browser is!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Mort would have said in the LM dhaaga this way: One man's tool is another woman's toy.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Or in case of KJo, one man's tool is another wimmen's ploy.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Or in case of halalmullah, many wimmen's handle is one man's shibber. :rotfl:
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Interesting article on NAVTEQ cars which map streets in 2D and 3D: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... le/263150/

Once I remember seeing a Gumboot NAVTEQ car racing across El Camino Real into Castro Street while being chased by a Chacha StreetView car. :mrgreen:
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:
Actually it should be "One man's toy may be also his tool".
Yes it works for you but for a large majority of the install base of mobile phone users it still doesn't work as a tool or a toy or just works as a toy. Its not a question of whether it works for us and our kind - one doesn't design products that way especially something which is planned to be ubiquitous. And in this case its not about adding or bettering a functionality. In this case, we actually took a step backwards with respect to battery life, endurance and basic communication capability when it comes to smartphones. So right now its like 2 steps forward, 1 step backward.

BTW the statement you made is the equivalent of folks in the Silicon Valley thinking that everybody knows and uses FaceBook, Twitter and Google+ Hangouts - only after they get to the masses, do they realize that most of the world doesn't even know what these things are. :mrgreen: We fight about Chrome is better than Mozilla is better than IE, whereas the truth is that most of the browser using world doesn't even know what a browser is!
The "non-smart" phone is still available, and those who are concerned about devices being functional and cost effective can wait when smart phones become that in the next 5-7 years. When analog mobile phones became readily available in the early 1990s, they too could be considered as toys because they were costly and not as functional as land lines due to poor battery life, limited network and constantly dropped calls. However, people still used them. In the case of smart phones, the use and adoption has surpassed the adoption of analog phones from the early 1990s. That is smart phones are well past the early adopter stage for a new technology. In desh, I saw it best this last summer, many people want smart phones and will get them when prices fall which they are. It used to be Nokia ruled the roost in desh, now it is a whole range of Samsung devices. Many are Android devices that have limited functionality and are not easily upgradeable, but they are selling.

The great mahdi said it best when people wait until a technology gets better and cheaper will never adopt a new technology because they'll be waiting for the next best thing.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Tanaji wrote:Has anyone run CM10 Jelly bean on SGS1 yet? I am planning to was wondering if there were any prior experiences in this...
You won't get the LBS part of it to work for maps due to GPS chipset. However, JB has been pushed to the Nexus S which essentially is the Galaxy S for the most part.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Its not necessarily that technology has to get cheaper, even if it gets more reliable at the same cost, more people will buy. In the end it is all about value proposition. In fact blindly making it cheaper may backfire.

Speaking of the Mahdi, isn't it is his death anniversary today?
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

Raja Bose wrote:
Prasant wrote:Any idea how much Fruit Company or Mickey$ or Chacha and the likes would require a company to pay up, so as to include an app as pre-installed on their respective OSs (mobile and/or desktop)? It's real estate on the screen after all!
For example, if Kitab-e-chehra were to be pre-installed as an app in iOS, how much would they have paid Fruit? How do both sides of the table monetize?
In massa usually these are carrier driven deals. In case of iPhunwa, the deals are with Fruit Co. but the payment is rarely about cash upfront (fixed cash component if any is tiny). Rather it is about data sharing and perhaps revenue sharing (latter one is tricky as the question is, who drives sales for whom).
Bose Mullah, what about non-carrier deals though? Would you have any insights on what would be the drivers of such a deal, and what (ballpark figure) sums might be involved?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

You have to ask TFTA YumBeeAyes about specifics of such deals and how they are structured. The numbers usually go from 6 figures to low 8 figures in the range I have seen. Some like Fruit Co. will also choose top selling apps from its app store and include them by default - no payment exchanged. And these are for consumer apps. For backend services/data, it is usually more straightforward cash changing hands regularly.
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

Thanks!
I actually do have some numbers that have been quoted by Chacha and Fruit, but any information in this regard seems very hard to come by. Looking for a confirmation via ball park figures more than anything else.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Are you doing some YumBeeAye case study in Londonistan School of Khanomics or what? You wont find accurate ballpark numbers unless you happen to know a good panwallah personally.
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

Not a case study saar, it's the case itself. All available paanwallah's have been reached, but they seem to be taking their own sweet time. :P
Abhijeet
BRFite

Post by Abhijeet »

I strongly object to the title of this thread. The number at the end of the title should clearly be either "0x02" -- written C-style (although I believe that's the way it's written Gangnam style as well) -- or "#02" as in machine code or Photoshop.

For "#0x02" to be a valid number, "x" would have to be a hexadecimal digit. I can only conclude that the thread starter is an MBA with the Powerpoint helpline on speed dial.

;)
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Abhijeet wrote:... I can only conclude that the thread starter is an MBA with the Powerpoint helpline on speed dial.
Boseullah, your cover has been blown! :mrgreen:
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:Its not necessarily that technology has to get cheaper, even if it gets more reliable at the same cost, more people will buy. In the end it is all about value proposition. In fact blindly making it cheaper may backfire.

Speaking of the Mahdi, isn't it is his death anniversary today?
So, basically you are implying that a smart phone as it exists today is (1) not reliable for a variety of reasons, and (2) does not have value, ie. the cost to benefit ratio is too high.
This is something I would disagree with you about.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

You can disagree about it but unfortunately that is the prevailing consumer sentiment as per stats - I am not just talking of 1st world urban consumers either or specific individuals. This is helping drive some of the decision decisions going forward (and ofcourse where to put RanDee money).
nachiket wrote:
Abhijeet wrote:... I can only conclude that the thread starter is an MBA with the Powerpoint helpline on speed dial.
Boseullah, your cover has been blown! :mrgreen:
:(( :(( I would rather be tagged a Paki rather than a strat-e-jee YumBeeAye :(( :(( While typing the thread title, I was idly wondering when someone will take me to task for it. The '#' is what I use instead of 'v'/version so you need to first parse it as string onlee, not number! Then tokenize on '#', then do your version of atoi :P
Last edited by Raja Bose on 05 Oct 2012 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

Whats wrong with being a YumBeeAye, hainjee? :|
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Nothing saar - perhaps I shouldn't have made such a strong statement. Its just that all YumBeeAyes I had the honour of interacting with struck me as cases with shallow knowledge, no depth and superb BSing skills. And most seemed to think their jobs ended with making pretty powerpoints with 70+ slides and they didn't give a damn about whether their lofty plans were in fact practical and realizable. Clearly no reason to tar all YumBeeAyes with the same brush. My apologies.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:You can disagree about it but unfortunately that is the prevailing consumer sentiment as per stats - I am not just talking of 1st world urban consumers either or specific individuals. This is helping drive some of the decision decisions going forward (and ofcourse where to put RanDee money).

The stats I've seen is that a higher percentage of installed base around the world are adopting "smart phones". In urban areas in desh we have 27 million users as of last summer. In the US it is 100 million. Sorry, I still can not see the rationale for calling it a toy.
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

That was just a rhetorical pooch saar, no need to tender a thousand apologies!
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Mortullah, Consumer buying is driven by a lot of factors other than need (such a slick advertising, peer pressure, shiny bling bling) but satisfaction is not. And what is perhaps more alarming is the noticeable rise in communication failure in smart phone use (including those leading to fatalities which might have been preventable with better/reliable communication or endurance capabilities) - this trend started after smart phone adoption really started getting used by the masses (mainly after the iPhunwa launch). That's like having a Hummer with a 5 gallon gas tank which prevents you from reaching a hospital 20 miles away.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Diyar BRF tech Gurus:

I need your help.

After years of stubborn resistance, I am finally being dragged across the dumb phone/ smartphone line by my wife. She saw her chance with the Sprint $0 iphone4 and got herself one. Since she updated our voice plan to the more expensive data plan, now there is not much point in me staying with the non-smartphone as the smartphone will be only $10/month extra. My 3-year old non-smartphone is now on its last legs so I have to get a new phone anyway So it looks like I shall also have to surrender and get an iphone4.

Now the problem is that I don't see any value in a smartphone for me. My cell phone use is purely for voice calls and text. I don't want to check my work e-mails when away from work. I don't travel much so there is no need for web connectivity on the go.

The only way I can derive any value from the iphunwa is if I can browse BRF on it instead of doing it on my work computer. This will help me fly underneath the radar of predator admins at work. :) But when I tried doing it on my wife's new iphunwa today, I got an unreadable interface and gave up. I did not see any mobile versions on the BRF web site.

Is there a way to browse BRF on iphone4 on a mobile-friendly interface? If so please post and help this pious buddha haji recover his hard-earned dinars that are flowing down the Nile of the data plan. :(
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Kakkaji wrote: The only way I can derive any value from the iphunwa is if I can browse BRF on it instead of doing it on my work computer. This will help me fly underneath the radar of predator admins at work. :) But when I tried doing it on my wife's new iphunwa today, I got an unreadable interface and gave up. I did not see any mobile versions on the BRF web site.

Is there a way to browse BRF on iphone4 on a mobile-friendly interface? If so please post and help this pious buddha haji recover his hard-earned dinars that are flowing down the Nile of the data plan. :(
You could try enlarging the text. That's how I do it :).
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

ArmenT wrote:
Kakkaji wrote: The only way I can derive any value from the iphunwa is if I can browse BRF on it instead of doing it on my work computer. This will help me fly underneath the radar of predator admins at work. :) But when I tried doing it on my wife's new iphunwa today, I got an unreadable interface and gave up. I did not see any mobile versions on the BRF web site.

You could try enlarging the text. That's how I do it :).
Tried it. Scrolling left and right to read a line takes away from the experience. I am a fast reader through BRF pages.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

LG Nexus Phone to be unveiled in October

Looks like the Android version of the 920 (screen/wireless charging/no microSD slot/sealed battery) without the PureView camera.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Kakkaji wrote:Tried it. Scrolling left and right to read a line takes away from the experience. I am a fast reader through BRF pages.
landscape mode works for me. enlarging texts in portrait and keeping the post body centered works, but you miss the left column (author).

And then there's this occasional one post with format crapping that pushes the border way out and infuriates mobile readers... :evil:
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

I think the sharp edges of the iphone5 combined with it being made from aluminium makes it easy to nick. More than a manufacturing defect, it might be a design flaw. Perhaps ShauryaT can shed some light on how his phone is holding up.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/fox ... -5-delays/

fights erupt between workers and QC people in foxconn, QCs go on strike.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

hanumadu wrote:I think the sharp edges of the iphone5 combined with it being made from aluminium makes it easy to nick. More than a manufacturing defect, it might be a design flaw. Perhaps ShauryaT can shed some light on how his phone is holding up.
Iphone 4/4s are like that too, you drop them once on a concrete pavement they get scuffed pretty easily but then so does E71 too , the difference is Iphone's back panel can shatter in some cases. But all the new 4" inch+ screens are prone to shattering if you drop them on concrete/road, most of the folks keep these 20k+ phones in some sort of protective cover.
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

ArmenT wrote:

Are you using safari? For some sites, Chrome works better.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

sampat wrote:

Are you using safari? For some sites, Chrome works better.
Yes, I am using Safari because that's what came loaded on iphone4. Should I download Chrome or Firefox? Which one works best for BRF browsing?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Boss I have been using Safari now for quite some time, on iphonuwa it is enough for all your needs. Why load the system resources with another browser ?
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

negi wrote:^ Boss I have been using Safari now for quite some time, on iphonuwa it is enough for all your needs. Why load the system resources with another browser ?
The only reason for me to download another browser will be to help BRF viewing. BRF browsing is my addiction. Whatever can make it better, I shall go for it.

Do you do your BRF browsing mostly on Safari on mobile, or on another device, another browser?
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

At this point, I agree with Raja Bose Babu. These d@mned smartphones are not worth it for 99% of the world, including buddha Hajis like me. :(
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:Mortullah, Consumer buying is driven by a lot of factors other than need (such a slick advertising, peer pressure, shiny bling bling) but satisfaction is not. And what is perhaps more alarming is the noticeable rise in communication failure in smart phone use (including those leading to fatalities which might have been preventable with better/reliable communication or endurance capabilities) - this trend started after smart phone adoption really started getting used by the masses (mainly after the iPhunwa launch). That's like having a Hummer with a 5 gallon gas tank which prevents you from reaching a hospital 20 miles away.

I'm skeptical of such a study, but for the moment will take your word for it. What I find amusing is that first you state the smart phone, as it is today, is a toy because of a number of issues and now you are also stating that it is also safety hazard for the potential loss of life and property due to higher failure rate? If you don't want a smart phone no is criticizing you. Yes there is cost (particularly when you annualize the data plan) and is an inconvenience to some people who don't wish to charge the device on a timely basis. However, can you not accept the fact there are a significant number of users who use these devices to their fullest? I would contend the smart phone, as it is today, is not a toy because the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

Treat the phone as a toy and dont rely on it to save your life in an emergency like yours truly does :)