Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 21 Apr 2014

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 21 Apr

Post by ramana »

partha wrote:I think only an Indian analyst can write an article about potential next Indian PM's Pakistan policy without words like "terror" or "26/11" at the same time talking about 2002 riots, fears of Pakistan, indirectly drawing equivalence between Indian Muslims and Pakistan etc.

http://indianexpress.com/article/opinio ... s-eyes/99/
C. Raja Mohan

Essentially massa is conveying through minions that Modi should accomodate the Pakis better than MMS could.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Anujan wrote:http://tribune.com.pk/story/698409/pak- ... ney-nawaz/ Pakistan-China friendship “is sweeter than the sweetest honey in this world,” stated Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif at the inauguration ceremony of two gas turbines of 243 megawatts (MW) each in Guddu, Sindh.

IMHO, Nawaz is asking every paki to now Lick China and taste the honey drops. In the meanitime,Gen Beg warns of Egypt-like change in Pakistan

STFU pakistan
LAHORE - Former Army chief Gen Mirza Aslam Beg on Monday proposed a three-point formula to normalise the tense civil-military relations, warning the government of an Egypt-like change in case urgent steps were not taken in accordance with his suggestions.He said the high treason case against Gen Pervez Musharraf should be dropped and he should be allowed to go abroad; the Pemra should ensure that no TV channel telecasts programmes that undermine the prestige of the army; and ministers or other leaders should be barred from speaking against the people who defend the country even at the cost of their lives. Talking to The Nation, he said the civil setup would face no threat and the situation would normalise within no time if the government acted in the light of his suggestions. :rotfl: Otherwise, he said, a military general would take over, just like Gen Al-Sissi did in Egypt, and the United States would support the change for its own interests.
Gen Beg was of the firm view that the Constitution would not be able to block a military intervention if the rulers did not give the army its due respect. “ZulifikarAli Bhutto had said the 1973 Constitution would bury martial laws, but it was the martial law that buried Bhutto”.Critical of the flawed decision-making process of the present government, Gen Beg said the rulers did not properly calculate the likely negative fallout of their policies. According to him, the government takes decisions first and thinks later. As a result, its damage control measures don’t yield results. Gen Beg said the army was like a family and Gen Musharraf was its former head. The way he was insulted created unrest in the rank and file which forced Gen Raheel Sharif to issue a statement that army will defend its honour and dignity. Compared to the anger of the soldiers, Gen Raheel’s statement was ‘very soft’ however, he claimed.
He said it was after Gen Raheel’s statement all government functionaries had gone on defensive and they were offering explanations that they did not want to insult the army. Such people should have been careful before issuing derogatory statements, said Gen Beg.The army, he said, would not tolerate the way Gen Musharraf was being singled out for trial. Similarly, he said, the former president-COAS could not be held responsible for ‘high treason’ as what he was accused of having done did not fall in this category. A treason charge on a former army chief was just not tolerable.Making a strong plea for permission to Gen Musharraf to go out of Pakistan, Gen Beg said if a man like Hussain Haqqani could be allowed to leave the country despite a very serious charge against him, why the former president-COAS couldn’t be given a similar treatment.Explaining his argument that the US would support a general in power in Pakistan at a time when it was leaving Afghanistan after 13 years’ stay in Afghanistan, Gen Beg said the US always felt more comfortable in dealing with one man rather than an elected parliament. ( Copycat ,i said this last week)
He said when the US interest called for a change in Pakistan because of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, it got Zulfikar Ali Bhutto eliminated and brought Gen Zia to the fore. Likewise, the US supported Gen Musharraf when its interests in Afghanistan so demanded.According to Gen Beg, had a political government been in power in Pakistan in 2001, the US would not have got the kind of ‘facilities’ in Pakistan that Gen Musharraf had allowed them. Replying to a question, the former COAS said the US had deep penetration in all departments of Pakistan and it could bring about a political change at any time of its choice. “I don’t say that Gen Raheel Sharif is going to become Gen El-Sisi (by overthrowing the political government), but a lot can happen”. He alleged that the propaganda against the army and ISI was part of the US agenda as it was the most effective way of creating tensions between the civil and military leadership. “The higher the tension, the easier the change”, Gen Beg said.
[/quote]
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Army Chief lauds ISI during visit to headquarters Chor Chor Cousin Coochy Cooooooooo
RAW AL PINDI- Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif today appreciated the role of Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) towards national security and lauded the contributions.General Raheel Sharif made the remarks during his visit to the Directorate General (ISI), an ISPR statement said. The army chief also lauded the sacrifices of its officers and men towards strengthening the defence of the motherland. He was given detailed briefing on internal and external security situation of the country. On arrival at Headquarters, Lieutenant General Zahir ul Islam, DG ISI received COAS.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Mirza Beg confirms my theory that TSPA is the kabila guards and his message is similar to what the dacoitsdeliver to the helpless villagers at their mercy.

If his Army has any guts they need to do a coup against Mulayam (very soft) Raheel.

Looks like TSPA wants to do a coup to prevent the civilvans (non-state) and TTP (non-state) getting together and control the clown jewels. Thats why they trotted out the Ashraf windbag.
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

STFUPA may want to do a coup to welcome the communal party coming to power in yindia.
How will they do a complementary terrorist attack if the Army chief and DG-ISI are having a tiff? Need to come together to deliver the goods.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

So are paki non-state actors now lining up with pakjab sultanat against the fauj?
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Jhujar wrote:....................

STFU pakistan
LAHORE - Former Army chief Gen Mirza Aslam Beg on Monday ............... said the high treason case against Gen Pervez Musharraf should be dropped and he should be allowed to go abroad; the Pemra should ensure that no TV channel telecasts programmes that undermine the prestige of the army; and ministers or other leaders should be barred from speaking against the people who defend the country even at the cost of their lives....................

Gen Beg said the army was like a family and Gen Musharraf was its former head. The way he was insulted created unrest in the rank and file which forced Gen Raheel Sharif to issue a statement that army will defend its honour and dignity. Compared to the anger of the soldiers, Gen Raheel’s statement was ‘very soft’ however, he claimed.

He said it was after Gen Raheel’s statement all government functionaries had gone on defensive and they were offering explanations that they did not want to insult the army.
ramana wrote:Mirza Beg confirms my theory that TSPA is the kabila guards and his message is similar to what the dacoitsdeliver to the helpless villagers at their mercy.

The sense of entitlement for the Bakistani Army leaves me flabbergasted, even though I've been on BR long enough to not be even mildly surprised.

But the expected privilege, pi$$ing on the political structure....what an army...what generals....what an army of haraamkhors led by haraamkhor generals.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

That the PA used a 6 year old video of Khwaja Asif to create further tension in civil military relationship makes me wonder about the motives of PA here. Possibilities -

1. Create tension -> intimidate civvies -> negotiate Mushy freedom in exchange for return to normalcy.
2. Gain full control of the media.
3. Show civvies their place after 6 years of kuch kiya-nahi regime at GHQ. Restore H&D. A gentle reminder to the nashun as to who the real boss is.
4. Preparation for coo post US withdrawal.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

One citizen of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan cotton’s onto the enormous cost imposed on the Islamic Republic owing to the obsession with seeking military parity with India:
I pointed out that, firstly, Pakistan needs to stop thinking that it is the centre of the world. Pakistan is an important country indeed, but it should not punch above its weight. Knowing its rightful place in the world order is the basis of a rational foreign policy. For example, we always try to act equal to India in the world arena whereas the stark reality is that India is a country four times larger than ours. Its sheer magnitude makes it a regional leader. Therefore, rather than attempting to be accepted in the world as an equal to India we should try to work with India so that even its regional power projection works for our advantage. Working with a perceived foe is much harder, but is usually the best solution (European history is rife with such examples). Our yearning for equality with India has cost us dearly in terms of exorbitant military expenditure leading to skewed economic growth, and we simply cannot afford it any longer.
Perennial BR favourite Shrillen Mazari disagrees:
I also said several other things, but the above two points were picked up by Dr Shireen Mazari, the information secretary of the PTI. She argued that, “We as Pakistanis must think that we are the centre of the world” ………

Read all that along with a discussion of the Islamic republic’s “Identity Dilemma” of “Arab, Central Asian or South Asian” here:

State of delusion
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Sharif is taking on army and on the other side special aide MMS leaving the office, what worse, will be replaced by a nationalist. TSPA has to act now. They are searching for a reason.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

No One takes on Army in Pakistan except for the real mujhahid a.k.a TTP and Paki Army is sh!t scared of them. Proves the point that to deal with Pakis, you first need to thrash their musharraf and then carry a big danda and blow jhapad every now and then.
Terrorists respect only bigger terror..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Baikul wrote: The sense of entitlement for the Bakistani Army leaves me flabbergasted, even though I've been on BR long enough to not be even mildly surprised.
The only difference this time round is that in the past the STF-UPaki Army used to take its privileges for granted and did not have to ask. They simply took over and everyone said "Marshalla! Marshalla!". Now they have to ask "Give us the respect we want!"

The Paki army is not in a position to conduct a coup. The statement is on here for anyone to call me out if I am wrong.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

VikasRaina wrote:No One takes on Army in Pakistan except for the real mujhahid a.k.a TTP and Paki Army is sh!t scared of them. Proves the point that to deal with Pakis, you first need to thrash their musharraf and then carry a big danda and blow jhapad every now and then.
Terrorists respect only bigger terror..

That is true for the "real Mujahids" as well - except that the latter are stupid, there is an endless supply of them and they are killed before the truth can get out.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

shiv wrote:The Paki army is not in a position to conduct a coup. The statement is on here for anyone to call me out if I am wrong.
I agree completely. For the STFUPA to conduct a coup, it must first have the approval from the US. The US is not just about to give it. Hence, the STFUPA is doing or trying to do the next best thing, backseat driving by threatening the civilian government especially Nawaz Sharif's as he wants to avoid the 1999 scenario. It is using Retd Generals to issue threats on its behalf. The STFUPA must wait for some time. Usually, after every engagement with STFUP, there is a disengagement ceremony which causes even more pain for GoP. That would be the time for STFUPA to strike. Such a time is around the corner unless PRC queers the pitch this time.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

It seems to me that Loin d'Punjab Nawaz Sharif chooses his COAS as whoever appears to be the least martial of prospective jarnails.

First time was the scruffy looking Gandu-Kammandu, a weedy, weak chinned, shifty looking, simpering individual if ever there was one. His competition - Ali Kuli Khan and Khalid Nawaz Khan.

Second time around he's chosen the softest, fattest looking Johnny of the lot, the former Inspector General Training and Evaluation no less. Fatty was competing with Haroon Aslam and Rashad Mahmood.

First choice turned out to be 'Oops My bad'. Second choice, Fatty has started to stand on his 'dignity', but we'll see how long he keeps standing.

On another note, I know that this adds another F and could spoil the acronym, but how about adding Fissioning to the name? Sunni Terrorist Fissioning Fragments of Unstable Pakistan (STFFUP)? Fissioning, conveying nuclear urgency, and also "The act or process of splitting into parts". Possibly makes the acronym too heavy, there's 'fragments' in there already, but just an idea to keep thinking about the title.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Baikul wrote: On another note, I know that this adds another F and could spoil the acronym, but how about adding Fissioning to the name? Sunni Terrorist Fissioning Fragments of Unstable Pakistan (STFFUP)? Fissioning, conveying nuclear urgency, and also "The act or process of splitting into parts". Possibly makes the acronym too heavy, there's 'fragments' in there already, but just an idea to keep thinking about the title.
LOL!
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

arun wrote:Perennial BR favourite Shrillen Mazari disagrees:
She argued that, “We as Pakistanis must think that we are the centre of the world” ………
Give the hag her due, please. That's one rare paki who punches well below her weight. IYKWIM!
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Mercenary nation

More apt title would be bipolar nation....but does give credence to ramana's Kabila theory.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Geo news blocked in Pakistan it seems. Independent and vibrant media is after all dependent on the independent and vibrant army.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

It is just a disagreement if Pakistan should be in the center of the house or in a corner. Some like it in a corner of the house, other people like it in the center. For each their own.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

SSridhar wrote:
shiv wrote:The Paki army is not in a position to conduct a coup. The statement is on here for anyone to call me out if I am wrong.
I agree completely. For the STFUPA to conduct a coup, it must first have the approval from the US. The US is not just about to give it. Hence, the STFUPA is doing or trying to do the next best thing, backseat driving by threatening the civilian government especially Nawaz Sharif's as he wants to avoid the 1999 scenario. It is using Retd Generals to issue threats on its behalf. The STFUPA must wait for some time. Usually, after every engagement with STFUP, there is a disengagement ceremony which causes even more pain for GoP. That would be the time for STFUPA to strike. Such a time is around the corner unless PRC queers the pitch this time.

Meantime Badmash is using/promoting the TTP as a viable entity with arms. So TTP will gather real strength and may be stage few fake encounter to show the STFUPA (stoofpa) their aukkad. Some of them will change their uniforms just as those Western educated Muslims turn to shalwar and fez. Then we need to see how it plays out.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Paki Looks Cute Opening His ?her Mouth & Mush Making Big O

Secularism — the BJP’s greatest enemy
Abdur Rawman Clown- dhary
While India hosts one third of the world’s poor, the BJP’s focus remains ‘temples over mosques’. The BJP’s manifesto and the conduct of its heavyweights underscore that the party does not believe in secularism. Instead, the party is committed to Hindutva, an absurd doctrine seeking the supremacy of Hinduism in socio-cultural and political philosophy. The BJP, in political terms, is not a political organisation; it is a socio-religious platform devoted to the promotion of Hindu culture and religion as opposed to Indian culture, literature and traditions. :lol:
Moderate Indians who believe in secularism, democracy and social justice are bound to feel embarrassed at the likely victory of the BJP. Indians have made great inroads in societies in North America and Europe. Hardly a university or a major seat of learning is found in the US, Canada or Europe where Indians do not serve with distinction. Their talents, commitment and modesty have earned them enough respect that many Indian scholars are employed by foreign governments in senior positions. After independence, highly educated persons with post-doctoral degrees were active in public life and some of them ascended to the highest positions in the country. In neighbouring countries, the highest positions were taken either by army generals or puppet politicians with little contribution to public service.Veteran Journalist Kuldip Nayar, in a recent article, expressed concerns that Muslims in India feel insecure at the possible rise of the BJP to power. Statements by BJP heavyweights have made them concerned about their safety but the BJP is not the only outfit to blame for the neglect of Muslims. Their poor record in public services has disadvantaged them in their stand against the perpetrators of communal violence and in making demands for justice. Fundamentalism has made powerful inroads in Indian politics through the BJP. Secularism, once nurtured by Mahatma Gandhi, Pandit Nehru and Maulana Azad, stands severely wounded in India today. Indians at home and abroad are visibly disconcerted at the resurgence of non-secular, backward looking and anachronistic political forces in the country :rotfl:
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the “ISI-History and Discussions” thread.

Even during the infrequent interregnums of democracy in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the Uniformed Jihadi’s of the Punjabi dominated Military run amok and terrorise civilians, journalists included. Seems the ” Jihad Fi Sabilillah” or translated “Jihad in the Path of Allah” part of the motto of Uniformed Jihadi’s of “Iman, Taqwa, Jihad Fi Sabilillah” or “Faith, Piety and Jihad in the Path of Allah” provides cover for killing Journalists.

Mohammed Hanif, BBC Urdu's special correspondent based in Karachi and author of “A Case of Exploding Mangoes” writing in the UK’s Guardian:

The Hamid Mir case: 'In Pakistan, they used to censor journalists – now they shoot us'
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The story of a gradually failing state which India wants to do business with and about which a cabinet secretary informs us. at election time, what Pakis want and how we should give them what they want.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

I saw somehow the below comment "awaiting moderation" on the Daily Times website in response to the article posted by Jhujar, written by Abdul Rahman Chowdhary... It shows on the same page... How's that possible I wonder.

A tragically out-of-step article, and says much more about the worldview of the Pakistani elite (and its apparent hangers-on) than anyone else. The depth of ignorance is breathtaking - considering the absolute rejection of all facts contrary to the arguments provided. As an observer of the fascinating spectacle that is the Indian electoral process (rather more exciting than the fairly dreary process that we have in Europe), I'm compelled to respond.

The BJP has been making steady inroads into the "Muslim" electorates, which the writer entirely fails to get into - apart from the fact that "Muslims" are hardly a monolithic group in India, something which the writer (presumably a Pakistani) must be well aware of given that Shias and Ahmedias are killed on a daily basis in Pakistan itself. He also fails to note that the BJP delivers on its electoral promises, although not perfectly, better than any other party in India - and sections of the electorates of all religions in India appear to have taken note of that.

So if the majority votes the BJP into power, it cannot be without a significant section of all other religions in India other than Hindus having voted them into power. It is regrettable to observe how blind Pakistanis have become to reality, such that they assume that their own bigoted worldview is how others see the world as well. I suggest it is not, and the faster Pakistan and its citizens see how far they have gone down the road of no return, the easier it will be to turn back. And I can assure you, it is not easy now as it is.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^weird, it's not there anymore.
RSoami
BRFite

Post by RSoami »

http://www.rferl.org/content/pakistan-b ... 60454.html

bomb blast in Karachi. 4 dead.

http://www.nation.com.pk/national/24-Ap ... -militants

Operation bomb random civilians is underway. 15 dead.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Indraprastha Apollo Completes 500 Liver Transplant Operations with 90% success rate, all on Pakistanis - The Hindu
What a waste of Indian resources.
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals claims to have completed 500 liver transplants on patients from Pakistan with a success rate of over 90 per cent.

Announcing the achievement on Wednesday, Prof. Anupam Sibal, group medical director and senior paediatric gastroenterologist, Apollo Hospitals, said: “We have created a milestone by becoming the first hospital in the country to reach the 500-mark for patients from a single foreign country. Pakistani patients constitute 29 per cent of the liver transplant performed at Apollo Hospitals, Delhi.”

Speaking on the occasion, Prof. Subash Gupta, chief liver transplant surgeon at the hospital, said: “Our 500th Pakistani patient is two-year-old Nalain Aziz from Lahore. He developed jaundice on the seventh day and was diagnosed to have extra hepatic biliary atresia. Later despite being hospitalised in Pakistan multiple times the jaundice worsened and he also had bleeding from the swollen veins in his food pipe. He was referred for a liver transplant which is the only treatment for liver failure.”

The child had deep jaundice and features of end-stage liver failure. He was detected to have a urinary tract infection that was treated and thereafter he was taken up for a liver transplant after detailed assessments.

“His blood group, O+, matched with that of his mother who became his liver donor. Both mother and son have recovered well. He underwent the transplant in March and was discharged this month. Nalain’s liver function tests are normal and he is ready to go back to Lahore to celebrate his next birthday,” added Dr. Gupta.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Pakistanis are paying us for this. Two Indian soldiers were killed last week.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the “Oppression of Minorities In Pakistan” thread.

ET article on the subject of Green on Green intra-Mohammadden religion motivated sectarian killings in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, a country claimed to have been created as a safe haven for the Mohammaddens of the Indian Sub-Continent, over the past 5 years:

Sectarian violence: Over 2,000 people killed in 5 years, Interior Ministry tells Senate

Reading the above ET article made me realise that I had over the past five years come across no such similar instances of internecine killings in other religious groups such as Buddhists, Christists, Hindus, Jains or Jews over issues of interpretation of religion anywhere in the world. Can anyone thus enlighten if there were similar cases over the past five years anywhere in the world, of Hinayana Buddhists killing Mahayana Buddhists or vice versa, or Catholic Christists killing Protestant Christists or vice versa, or Shivite Hindus killing Vaishnavite Hindus or vice versa, or Digamber Jains killing Shwetamber Jains or vice versa, or Ashkanazie Jews killing Sephardic Jews or Vice versa; all over differences of interpretation of their respective religions? Or is it that the Mohammaddenism is somehow a special lone case among the world’s religions when it comes to the matter of killing co-religionists over interpretation of own religion?
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

Baikul wrote: On another note, I know that this adds another F and could spoil the acronym, but how about adding Fissioning to the name? Sunni Terrorist Fissioning Fragments of Unstable Pakistan (STFFUP)? Fissioning, conveying nuclear urgency, and also "The act or process of splitting into parts". Possibly makes the acronym too heavy, there's 'fragments' in there already, but just an idea to keep thinking about the title.
As far as Pakistan is concerned, nothing better to convey the urgency better than F for Farting, that makes it 3 F's in the acronym- Sunni Terrorist Fissioning Farting Fragments of Unstable Pakistan (STFFFUP).

Also, 3F's brings out the nuke threat Bluff aspect (nook nude theory) into stark & discerning light, also goes a long way in casting doubt on their green painted no-dongs.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Fellows popcorn time. ISI kills journalists -- what do you do if you are a newspaper? You accuse other papers of not being hasty to blame the ISI :mrgreen: and somehow get India involved :rotfl:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/699639/cens ... -straight/

Censorship: Setting the record straight
The Express Media Group is breaking with norms that state that the reply to a resignation from an employee or a person associated with the organisation should be sent privately or directly to the individual concerned. However, Mr. Imtiaz Alam, host of the television show Achha Lagey Bura Lagey, decided to have his resignation published in The News and Jang newspapers, that were running a malicious slander campaign against Pakistan’s premier intelligence agency and its chief. ( fellow had earlier quit in protest because Express news did not want his program to cover the hit on Hamid Mir, a journalist on rival news agency Geo. Read about it here http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/national/2 ... press-news )

Sending a copy of the resignation with baseless fabrications and lies to rivals and having it published on the front pages is nothing short of a planned conspiracy. We now have confirmed information that this was drafted in connivance with the journalists of Geo.

What was alarming was why this letter was copied also to Vinod Sharma of the Hindustan Times. Mr. Alam’s motives here are highly questionable. Why would a ‘respected’ journalist from Pakistan inform a journalist in India that he has resigned from his show as the management was not allowing him to use their platform against their own armed forces?. Vinod Sharma’s newspaper, Hindustan Times, had a field day with the story.

What is the nexus between Mr. Alam’s Pakistani and Indian handlers? Joining the dots in this case is the job of the country’s intelligence agencies.
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

What this means is that express news is very careful to stay on the right side of the jihadis, both uniformed and otherwise, after their offices and editors got attacked multiple times.
RSoami
BRFite

Post by RSoami »

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world ... 431651.htm
37 innocent Pashtuns killed in the bombings by Pakjabi planes.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

RSoami wrote:http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world ... 431651.htm
37 innocent Pashtuns killed in the bombings by Pakjabi planes.
This is one war I would not take any sides.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

BTW this is the same express tribune where A Monkey Ayesha types write opeds "Why can't South Asia unite? Is secularism under danger from Modi?"

And the paper accuses one of their own as an Indian intelligence agent with Indian "handlers"
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Letter from an anguished paki. Bridges without water
A single dam in China, the Three Gorges Dam, produces enough electricity (22.5MW) to rival the entire power generation capacity in Pakistan, around 22MW. India has the third largest pool of trained scientific manpower in the world, after the US and Russia. Japan stunned the world a half century ago, in 1964, when it commissioned the first bullet train the Shinkansen, which traveled at the then unheard of speed of 200 kilometres an hour. So smooth was the ride that the Japanese National Railways challenged you to show a ripple in a cup of tea. The US landed a man on the moon in 1969, almost half a century ago, when we (Pakistan) were busy alienating our brethren in the eastern wing. Tiny Singapore boasts the world’s busiest transhipment port handling millions of containers annually. And, finally, China is on track to overtake the US as the world's largest economy while India will be the third largest within the next two decades.

Meanwhile, we haven't exactly been idle. We have the dubious distinction of being the world's largest producer of terrorism. We have redefined lawlessness, intolerance and bigotry to a point where they literally command our lives. The only Nobel laureate we produced we hounded him to the ends of the earth. And, in the past few decades, our top guns have, in the immortal words of Nikita Khrushchev, been promising to build bridges even where there are no rivers. Is it any wonder we are where we are?
By the way, to build bridges even where there are no rivers, still requires part djinn technology, part imagination and full time benevolence of allah.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

^^^ But pakistan is #1 in IT i.e. International Terrorism.
Leaves those countries far behind, in fact they are not even on the list.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://tribune.com.pk/story/699821/even ... lown-away/
Even the ashes blown away
By Patient Syed Nomanul Haq
Some years ago, in a newspaper piece, Sheldon Pollock had aptly quoted Bhartarihari, the great Indian poet who was so affectionately rendered into Urdu and Persian by Pakistan’s national poet, Muhammad Iqbal. “One shouldn’t wait until the house is burning to dig a well,” so said the Sanskrit elder, Pollock tells us. Pollock continues: “And the house of Indian classical language study is not only burning, it lies almost in ashes.” But only if he were to look at Pakistan — he will find the situation much worse, nay pitiable. In Pakistan, the house of all languages, not only classical languages, has all but burnt down; and more, even the ashes seem now to have been blown away, for the disaster is hardly talked about any more. . This state of crisis has multiple faces. With three generations thrown into applied/vocational fields, and the killing of languages, the Pakistani society has been barred from an access to its primary textual sources. What is the result? Pakistanis cannot explain themselves. They have no knowhow any more to challenge the received narratives, not even to detect egregious factual errors in these narratives, errors that often appear to have been deliberately introduced, left unattended for so long now that they have hardened unyieldingly over time.
Here, there lives this ‘educated’ community of people that thinks in terms of forced conceptual categories, a people who have been, as a matter of state policy, deprived of the critical sight even to discern if their historical and cultural peculiarities admit of these categories. They have neither the language training nor the interest any more to examine their own intellectual legacy. There are literally towering heaps of Persian and Arabic manuscripts lying unread in various libraries of Pakistan as well as elsewhere all over the world — and what of Persian and Arabic manuscripts, Pakistanis typically do not even have the competence now to read printed books in Urdu.One despairs: colonialism seems to have forever dislocated the Pakistanis epistemologically; they continue to live under conceptual coercion. True to its vision, we note with awe, the HEC has suppressed the Humanities effectively while nourishing ‘science and technology’. Then, there is the politics of scientism. It is this politics that leads to an obfuscation of the crucial distinction between science and technology. One far-reaching consequence of this politics is the elevated status given to those identified as ‘scientists’ — those who are, in fact, commercial industry-oriented applied scientists or, to put it bluntly, high order technicians. The cultural ecocide has manifested itself in massive casualties. There does not exist a single historian under the age of 80 now in Pakistan who can read Sanskrit — Sanskrit, perhaps is too much to ask for: in the country’s top institutions, those who teach Sufism do not read Persian and those whose specialty is the Pakistan Movement are smug with conversational Urdu. I have already stated the agonising fact about Sanskrit teaching — it was discontinued at Karachi University, a very large public institution of Pakistan’s metropolis. Given this, I wonder if there are any academics who talk about South Asia at this university who are aware what material exits in Sanskrit that might decisively add to what they know, or render problematic what they take for granted: nearly all Pakistani South Asianists build their edifice on the grounds of secondary literature written in English, literature that often does not even include translated primary sources.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

heard on the radio while driving to work

something about UC Berkeley ("UCB and Pakistan go long back") restarting some Urdu program at LUMS ("premier management institute where women wear jeans").

apparently they stopped the first one due to security reasons and god knows how the security has improved now so they can restart it.

many puke inducing soundbites. "we are not against americans but the american govt. pakistanis are not the problem, it is the paki govt".

"americans (meaning pakis having american citizenship really) should not have a problem inside LUMS"

and the best one

"urdu is like english, an amalgamation of languages, so people should learn urdu - the english of the east".