Tejas Mk2 Medium Weight Fighter: News & Discussion - 23 February 2019

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Tejas Mk2 Medium Weight Fighter: News & Discussion - 23 February 2019

Post by Rakesh »

ashishvikas wrote: 18 Dec 2023 17:17 #LCAAFMk2 Update

There are 9500 part drawings for aircraft structure out of which 8500+ drawings have already been released for parts manufacturing.

More in 5

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/17 ... O_LIg&s=19
https://x.com/writetake/status/1737009969344709052?s=20 ---> LCA AF Mk2 Update 5.

For the first time, a model based definition (MBD) approach has been adopted in the project for the structural design & manufacturing processes. This means 3D models with required dimensions will only be released, replacing 2D paper drawings.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Rakesh
Alpha Defence have uploaded video about Tejas Mk2
Claiming GOI have put a hold
Seem like they are pushing the Videshi Maal train
Asking MRFA $20 Billion deal
Majara kya hain??
Also claiming maybe Safran engine rather than 414!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

SRajesh wrote: 19 Dec 2023 21:02 Alpha Defence have uploaded video about Tejas Mk2
Claiming GOI have put a hold
Seem like they are pushing the Videshi Maal train
Asking MRFA $20 Billion deal
Majara kya hain??
Also claiming maybe Safran engine rather than 414!
Be warned Saar, about these youtube defence channels. Many of them paint a picture (for reasons best known to them) that is far from reality.

Secondly, the MRFA is coming. The unknown variables are ---> how many aircraft, in what delivery schedule, what offsets/industrial packages, etc. More clarity on this will come post the 2024 General Elections. The Air Chief - at the IAF Day press meet in October - stated that the GOI is looking at the MRFA contest and is deciding whether to go in for a G2G deal instead. That is the opposite of the MRFA contest. That is a clear message that the Rafale* is the G2G deal being spoken about.

Thirdly, the Tejas Mk2 is already delayed. If the F414 turbofan is swapped out for ANYTHING else...it will get even more delayed. But perhaps that is something the GOI and the IAF will have to live with, if the US decides to withhold the turbofan. I honestly do not see that happening, for a variety of reasons. The F414 is a proven turbofan and Safran does not have a 98kN equivalent. Surely they can develop one, but that will take time. But swapping out one turbofan for another, is easier said than done and that too with an entirely brand-new turbofan.

A Safran equivalent of the F414 would mean that the industrial offsets - from a MRFA contract - would be invested into a new generation turbofan that will primarily be for the AMCA and a variant of this turbofan will likely find its way into the Tejas Mk2. But I am completely speculating here. Maitya-ji can perhaps provide the possible technical hurdles, if such a plan is indeed being looked at.

The MRFA and Tejas Mk2 are no longer about money/affordability. It is about where the priorities lie. But the way the MRFA contract will likely pan out, will ensure that the MRFA is tied into the success of the Tejas Mk2, the AMCA and even the TEDBF. The present Air Chief has alluded to this multiple times, since he took over as Chief. That is how I am reading the picture. I could be completely wrong here, but lets see.

*Of the three frontrunners (F-15EX, Gripen E and Rafale) in the MRFA contest, which has the clearest path to winning? :)

F-15EX: Why do you think Air HQ announced the Super Sukhoi upgrade?
Gripen E: Then what is the point of the Tejas Mk2?
Rafale: The only real contender. Who else is there?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

maitya wrote: 18 Dec 2023 11:47...
Saar, I am not young like you! :) Can we please stop reducing the font sizes? Thank You.
maitya wrote: 18 Dec 2023 11:47 Ummm Nah ... non sequitur argument.
I actually see a desperate attempt by the import-pasand shills here, to paper-over/manufacture-some-argument towards, another desperate attempt by the import-pasand decision-makers (so what’s new? :evil: ), to some-how stymie/delay/throttle-back the Mk2 D&D activities (not by you though), so that imported MRFA acquisition program can be strengthened - I'd rather say, keep it relevant.
The MRFA was always going to come. How much will come, remains to be seen. The latest rumour is six MRFA squadrons to be acquired in progressive batches of two squadrons at a time. How that plan will actually pan out, still remains to be seen. But six squadrons = minimum of 108 aircraft.

But the numbers (i.e. squadron strength) are so drastically low, that even with the MRFA induction they will still need more fighter aircraft squadrons. Now if post MRFA induction, the IAF does a 180 about-turn and say that they no longer need 42 squadrons! But I do not see that happening.
maitya wrote: 18 Dec 2023 11:47 Anyway, back to your point Rakeshji - Mk2 D&D and then certification/qualification has no relevance wrt the F414 ToAsT deal etc.
Like all over the world, here also, this part of the program should have got completed by fully-imported powerplant (F414) - and may be a first set of SP platforms should as well be by imported engines.
So, roll-out followed by flight testing and certification to be done by a fully-imported powerplant, F414.
(ironically, the e.g pf Gripen E/F program furthered above, is actually a good example of this)
Saar, I apologise for not being clear :)

From a MoD Babu's perspective (who has to sign off on the F414 ToAsT deal), if no F414 engine was going to come...then why invest in the Tejas Mk2 program at all. This is likely how this clause came about. Flawed yes, but completely logical from a Babu's PoV. This is classic IAS thinking.
maitya wrote: 18 Dec 2023 11:47And F414 platforms have already been imported long back anyway - no US congress clearance is required for it.
(very similar to importing of F404 base versions for the Mk1 TD and PV (maybe the LSPs as well, not sure)) :roll
Not denying that. But we are India and US Congress will ensure that all the T are crossed and the Is are dotted. Heaven forbid, if anything of value is actually sent over to us by mistake :mrgreen:

We will be assembling these F414 turbofans onlee, despite the MoD's claims to the contrary.
maitya wrote: 18 Dec 2023 11:47Of course, I can completely understand if somebody is trying to argue that show us the productionising maturity aspects of the MK1 before any talk of productionising the Mk2 etc - but why throttle the D&D, testing and certification with such a condition (aka first secure approval of F414 ToaST (some call it “indigenous manufacturing of TF”) before I’ll release fund for D&D/Testing/Certification etc).
(betw what is this productionising maturity of Mk1 - which part of Mk1 productionising was not mature after the LSP stage - pls, atleast you don't try to counter this, by bringing in the 83 platform deal etc - which itself took a decade to "negotiate", betw , essentially two different arms of the govt)

So summary is by asking to first get the F414 ToAsT deal completed before releasing funds for D&D (plus testing and certification) phase is just that - a desperate attempt to demonstrate the relevance of the imported-MRFA program itself.
From the Babu's PoV ---> where will I get the greatest return on investment?

Arguments like value of local MIC, etc will fall on deaf ears at the MoD office. Bean counters will remain as bean counters onlee.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

I don't think I'll be spared for saying this but it is understandable that waiting for the TOT acceptance for GE-F414 by Senate was a good idea. We lost a year in R&D (and HAL could have funded from its internal funds like it did earlier), but I am quite sure GoI forced 97+ Mk1A using the delay, something that even most of the jingos have not sought.

It is interesting that those who criticize GoI, and with good intention too, for failing to force setting up of a/c manufacturing for the recent 1000 a/c order (Airbus & Boeing) by private companies, also criticize GoI for not letting ADA/HAL to proceed with the Mk2 development without waiting for TOT approval. That's probably the only way to force Senate to acquiesce, we do not know. I have many complaints against GoI and MoD, but this wait and watch for TOT is not one of them. This is a sad consequence of not having an indigenous engine, and others will definitely try to extract their pound of flesh whenever they want.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

https://x.com/Indrani1_Roy/status/17371 ... 04470?s=20 --->

1. Tejas Mk2 is happening
2. No major technical challenges
3. The rollout of Mk2 will predate AMCA/TEDBF
4. I wish the MRFA jamboree continues till Mk2 rollout because justifying it after Mk2 rollout and first flight will be very difficult.

https://x.com/Indrani1_Roy/status/17371 ... 06188?s=20 ---> I will just add my two cents about the questions being asked here.

This outrage/meltdown is good. This delay is a making of the decision makers, not engineers. So let them hear it.

Will they hear it? Does it matter? That's a different question altogether.

https://x.com/Indrani1_Roy/status/17371 ... 74889?s=20 ----> Orders for parts of the Mk2 have been placed.

Currently, no more delays are foreseen (there was never an engineering challenge).

If everything goes well rollout will be in 2025. First flight in 2026. (this is what I know. Take it FWIW).

https://x.com/Indrani1_Roy/status/17371 ... 73722?s=20 ---> Many have said, but 414s were in Bengaluru. Why not start building? What would the 414s be fitted into? A first prototype is a very expensive aircraft to build. Placing of orders for the remaining parts was withheld till fund release.

https://x.com/Indrani1_Roy/status/17371 ... 03398?s=20 ---> Another question arises: would it be possible to test some of the new subsystems on existing flying prototypes. The answer is based on the subsystem.

E.g. Uttam Mk2 may be, OBOGs may be. LAD+ sidestick: no (because Mk2 cockpit is bigger). IRST: probably no.

https://x.com/Indrani1_Roy/status/17371 ... 19833?s=20 ---> The crux is that fitting these subsystems is easiest on a Mk2 prototype. Modifying some other aircraft to fit these subsystems also requires time, effort and money. So an expedited Mk2 prototype is actually the fastest and cheapest way to test these subsystems.

https://x.com/Indrani1_Roy/status/17371 ... 34846?s=20 ---> I hope this clears the air a little bit.

Baki, I am disappointed with decision making process too. It is a test of one's patience.

But then, who am I?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ashishvikas wrote: 19 Dec 2023 23:21 https://x.com/Indrani1_Roy/status/17371 ... 73722?s=20 ---> Many have said, but 414s were in Bengaluru. Why not start building? What would the 414s be fitted into? A first prototype is a very expensive aircraft to build. Placing of orders for the remaining parts was withheld till fund release.
The above should put this matter to rest.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

basant wrote: 19 Dec 2023 22:40 I don't think I'll be spared for saying this but it is understandable that waiting for the TOT acceptance for GE-F414 by Senate was a good idea. We lost a year in R&D (and HAL could have funded from its internal funds like it did earlier), but I am quite sure GoI forced 97+ Mk1A using the delay, something that even most of the jingos have not sought.

It is interesting that those who criticize GoI, and with good intention too, for failing to force setting up of a/c manufacturing for the recent 1000 a/c order (Airbus & Boeing) by private companies, also criticize GoI for not letting ADA/HAL to proceed with the Mk2 development without waiting for TOT approval. That's probably the only way to force Senate to acquiesce, we do not know. I have many complaints against GoI and MoD, but this wait and watch for TOT is not one of them. This is a sad consequence of not having an indigenous engine, and others will definitely try to extract their pound of flesh whenever they want.
Good points basant-ji

1. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. An additional 97+ Mk1As is the sensible thing to do. We may add 100-200 more depending on how the Mk2 & geopolitics pan out.

2. Since the IAF is holding 200+ Tejas Mk1/Mk1A hostage to the US-SD's whims and fancies, it make ample sense to de-risk by awaiting the local manufacturing of GE414, which should mitigate MRO and sanctions concerns to a large extent (at least for 1/3 to 1/2 of the aircraft's lifetime). If the engine could not be sourced locally, then might as well go for extra Su-30s + Rafales, while developing a single-Kaveri Ghatak + twin-Kaveri LCA-derivative in the next 5-10 years
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Rakesh
Thanks for the detailed response
No Saar for me
Please Rajesh would do just fine folks
But I have a question:
Did we falter in the F414 or has Unkil’s priority changed, given Hamas Israel conflict (meaning IMEC on the back burner)
Bean counters being bean counters will nitpick
My concern is in three years we will still be talking MRFA and drip feeding of Rafale squadrons.
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

What if GOIs inference is that if the engine tech is not sufficiently forthcoming from the American mic as agreed, the Tejas 2 could be held hostage in the way it is being currently going to be implemented?

In that case Tejas 2 would need a non-American engine that is sanctions proof. i think there is a lot behind the scenes strategic decisions to be made!!

Quite possibly and rightly so GOI could be thinking some kind of american sanctions would be coming soon ..and putting all the eggs in the american basket is not a good idea.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

SRajesh wrote: 20 Dec 2023 01:54 Did we falter in the F414 or has Unkil’s priority changed, given Hamas Israel conflict (meaning IMEC on the back burner)
Nothing has really changed IMVHO.

Unkil is playing both sides. They want India to acquiesce to their demands (i.e. Pannu episode, Ukraine conflict, etc), but at the same time they want a partnership with India (to act as a counterweight to China). This is just Unkil being Unkil. Ignore the bad behavior and make use of the good behavior.

All these years later, it is amply clear that India made a wise decision to *NOT* purchase an American fighter in MMRCA 1.0, an American fighter in the SE contest and hopefully no American fighter in the on-going MRFA contest. It really was a wise decision, as Unkil can always be relied upon to be unreliable.

But nevertheless, Unkil's tantrums are a lesson for our decision makers that serious efforts need to be invested into developing our own low bypass turbofan. But who is listening? With Indian military procurement and planning, one needs "buckets" of patience.

P.S. During those years on BRF, to even suggest that Amreeki is unreliable...immediately brought on accusations of being narrow minded and BR not being able to see the big picture! And finally, when the Rafale was eventually purchased...the angst on BRF was a sight to see. Never realised that a French fighter would cause (and still does!) this much takleef! Post the failed SE contest, the Risk Assessor only talks about "POLES" and Thucydides' Traps :lol:
SRajesh wrote: 20 Dec 2023 01:54Bean counters being bean counters will nitpick
My concern is in three years we will still be talking MRFA and drip feeding of Rafale squadrons.
Wait till the 2024 General Elections are over. We will see some tangible movement on the MRFA contest, which will tie in the MRCBF purchase as well i.e. 22 Rafale Ms and 4 Rafale Bs for the Indian Navy.

But MRFA will likely come via drip feed only. Don't expect large inductions of MRFA each year. In the future, do a comparison of the proposed MRFA assembly line and a Tejas Mk1A manufacturing line. The latter will be getting produced much quicker.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

drnayar wrote: 20 Dec 2023 01:56 What if GOIs inference is that if the engine tech is not sufficiently forthcoming from the American mic as agreed, the Tejas 2 could be held hostage in the way it is being currently going to be implemented?

In that case Tejas 2 would need a non-American engine that is sanctions proof. i think there is a lot behind the scenes strategic decisions to be made!!

Quite possibly and rightly so GOI could be thinking some kind of american sanctions would be coming soon ..and putting all the eggs in the american basket is not a good idea.
Doctor Saab, there has been no official shift. All indications is that the GE F414 is still coming and the Tejas Mk2 will use that turbofan. The clause about the funds being released, only upon the ToT of the GE F414 has caused a lot of unnecessary speculation on twitter.

The very last thing the Tejas Mk2 program needs now is a change of turbofan. I really hope not!
ashthor
BRFite

Post by ashthor »

May be unkil was holding out on 414, till we said...my way or highway.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

^^^
Or could be a reasonable caution. If F404 were to be sanctioned against, GTRE Kaveri has good replacement capability, theoretically speaking. None for F414. So, caution towards the future sanctions is reasonable and expected. In the meanwhile, additional 97 a/c are a great way to address the delay. The order for these 5 sqs will take 4 years to deliver, and will more than offset this delay. And not to forget, Mk1 (not even Mk1A) is as good as vanilla M2K. Range, to some extent, can be addressed with ariel refueling (including buddy refueling from the Su-30MKIs). It's a stop gap, a practically very good one at that.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

ashthor wrote: 20 Dec 2023 10:34 May be unkil was holding out on 414, till we said...my way or highway.
Yes for them a F404In deal would have better, now I know critical technologies on the F414 will not come and we cannot independently start Manufacturing F414's after TOT which is not a magical wand, it will give us a much better understanding of the processes which go into maintainence and logistics of these Engines.

Plus if GTRE is working of our Engines, Our scientists will get a much better understanding on how these engines are put together.

Reverse Engineering works only if the Country has the necessary machinery and technical knowledge with domestic programs to understand whats going on. Pakis claiming they can make IAI drones after they shot down 1 near Lahore in 2002 or some remnants of Tomahawk missiles in 2001 does not work out. Whereas the Soviet Union could Reverse Engineer the B-29 into a Tu-4 since thier production set up was aldready up and running during WW2.
A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

When Mk2 was first proposed, there was a lot of takleef on BRF. Why is it needed?
Mk2 was seen as a delaying tactic, an excuse to - not order Mk1 and order only imported fighters.
Now that mk1 has been ordered & planned in jingo-satisfying quantities, what if Mk2 fails to appear? or is delayed for engine issue?
well, we can just order another 100 or 200 Mk1 A/B/C/D........

Mk2 is critical for tech development route for us. towards AMCA, TEDBF.
Is it critical for Operational needs, if we have Mk1 in numbers + Rafale (2 + 2 more sqs). + Su?
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Rakesh wrote: 19 Dec 2023 19:39
ashishvikas wrote: 18 Dec 2023 17:17 #LCAAFMk2 Update

There are 9500 part drawings for aircraft structure out of which 8500+ drawings have already been released for parts manufacturing.

More in 5

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/17 ... O_LIg&s=19
https://x.com/writetake/status/1737009969344709052?s=20 ---> LCA AF Mk2 Update 5.

For the first time, a model based definition (MBD) approach has been adopted in the project for the structural design & manufacturing processes. This means 3D models with required dimensions will only be released, replacing 2D paper drawings.

#LCAAFMk2 Update

Jigs and fixtures are all getting ready, including wings, front, centre and rear fuselages. All jigs and fixtures will be ready by Oct 2024.

More in 7

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/17 ... aAlow&s=19
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

^^Yes I can partly confirm to the point of paper 2D drawing being replaced by computer 3D modelling.
Having seen first hand, my father-in-law standing for hours and drawing for HAL, we have moved or should I say leapfrogged.
hgupta
BRFite

Post by hgupta »

SRajesh wrote: 20 Dec 2023 17:19 ^^Yes I can partly confirm to the point of paper 2D drawing being replaced by computer 3D modelling.
Having seen first hand, my father-in-law standing for hours and drawing for HAL, we have moved or should I say leapfrogged.
Did DRDO/HAL develop their own 3D software or did they use SolidWorks which was developed by Dassault Rafale and later commercialized? If they used SolidWorks, it means that their work is security compromised as any work you do is stored on their server and they can peer at the work you do and basically see the innards of the plane.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Saar not sure now.
But initially all locally sourced. nothing in house development.
During 2D days, they used to outsource locally as too much work
Many retired people would get it.
He used to regale us with stories how drawing of little screw went missing and had to wait for replacement from Rust!!
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

IIRC, ADA, had developed a whole bunch of software for design and validation of Tejas itself over 30 years ago.

The program was deployed on machines called PACE.

Given the experience gained by ADA and different Indian entities, it will be reasonable to assume that significant progress would have been made in Indian software design.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

ashishvikas wrote: 20 Dec 2023 13:54
Rakesh wrote: 19 Dec 2023 19:39

#LCAAFMk2 Update

Jigs and fixtures are all getting ready, including wings, front, centre and rear fuselages. All jigs and fixtures will be ready by Oct 2024.

More in 7

#LCAAFMk2 Update 7

The wings jigs have been already cleared by CRI. The wing assembly will start by Jan 2024.

More in 8

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/17 ... 7ABfA&s=19
maitya
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by maitya »

Rakesh wrote: 19 Dec 2023 22:18 Saar, I am not young like you! :) Can we please stop reducing the font sizes? Thank You.
:rotfl: :rotfl: ... moi and young, oh boy!!! ... :rotfl: :rotfl:
Rakesh wrote: 19 Dec 2023 22:18A Safran equivalent of the F414 would mean that the industrial offsets - from a MRFA contract - would be invested into a new generation turbofan that will primarily be for the AMCA and a variant of this turbofan will likely find its way into the Tejas Mk2. But I am completely speculating here. Maitya-ji can perhaps provide the possible technical hurdles, if such a plan is indeed being looked at.
I think you are alluding to the long-dead (for what, maybe 1.5+ decades now????) M88-4 variant (of 95-105kN) program ...
That program was aiming at keeping the HPT/HPC of M88-2 as is ... while tinkering with the LPT/Fan combo to achieve the upthrusting (via increased Mass Flow route).
Pls refer to my many posts on this aspect (of upthrusting via the "crude" mass-flow route) spanning atleast a decade now(and you are still calling me "young" :P ), littered all over the Kaveri thread.

So, the "requirement" there (in M88-4 program) was to have,
1) A larger fan
2) A new low-pressure turbine
3) Afterburning of both gas flows
(plus a variable-area convergent-divergent nozzle)

No idea what Saffran finally did with that program - but I think they simply didn't fund it.
So with our funds (as is always the case - we are experts at funding furrin R&D programs, there are never fund shortfalls etc in such cases :evil: e.g. the ICE upgrade), maybe doable - yes!!
But minm a decade of R&D/Dev, Testing and certification work required, nevertheless. :((

Remember, we are talking about a 20-25% growth of dry thrust levels, from 51Kn (of F404 or M88-2) to 61-62Kn (of F414/M88-4 levels).
So, technologically, at a very very high level, the aim is to:
Lower unit-weight of LPT blades -> Lesser Centrifugal force to deal with (note rpm would be at ~10K levels) by the disc -> allowing various other type of turbine disc design (e.g. BLISKs and even BLINGs - refer to my posts in Kaveri thread) -> more work extracted by LPT complex -> higher rpm at the shaft -> higher Fan rpm -> better Fan/LPC PR and more bypass mass-flow (plus higher exhaust vel - of the bypass mass) -> more/better dry thrust rating.

Now in the F404 -> 414 "upgrade" by GE, they used the "traditional" path of improving the Gas Generator itself - so, improving HPT+HPC (primary goal) along with smaller improvements to the LPT+Fan/LPC systems.
So they went with SC Ni-Superalloys for the LPT blades as well (which in itself is a challenge, for the "larger" blades of the LPT etc - will not delve into it today, maybe some other day), even though the ambient temp requirements were much lower than those of the HPT cases.

They mitigated the tech risks by essentially keeping the turbine material techs similar for both HPT and LPT - while dealing with equally (if not more) demanding tech challenges on the following three aspects:
1) Keeping the cumulative LPT weight lower via Blisk design - SC LPT blade weights would be higher (and thus the resultant centrifugal forces) requiring heavier disks to support them, making the overall LPT quite heavy. Using advanced "joining techniques" (e.g LFW etc) a Blisk design was possible, keeping the weight increments in check.

2) The larger LPT blades are again notoriously difficult to SC investment cast - there's a concept called the LAB effect.
Not sure if I'd posted on it here, but it's part a writeup I'd started during the ToAsT deal surfaced (one of many such unfinished writeups), which as usual, is safely lying in HDD, untouched for many months now. :oops:

Anyway, what it essentially means is that, during practical casting of SC blades and vanes, it is impossible to maintain perfect [001] crystal orientation – so some levels of low angle boundaries (LAB, are formed between parallel single crystals), occurs during the SC solidification process (and gets further exacerbated by formation of recrystallized grains forming during solution heat treatment phases).
This results in unacceptably high rejection-rates of blades etc, and the costs goes up exponentially - and can only be mitigated by developing the associated technologies wrt much tougher control of SC casting parameters, which in turn requires 3-4 decades worth of dedicated R&D with unlimited funding etc. :roll:
Which, of course, GE (and P&W etc) have had access to.

3) These LPT blades can be solid, and also wouldn't require any TBC coating etc - as the ambient temp requirements are way lower than what the SC casted ones are designed for. Some env-protection coating would eb required though.
Solid blades are much easier to cast, comparatively speaking, as the whole 3-4 tech towers wrt mould fabrication that has intricate internal cooling passages inbuilt into it etc are not required.
(Yes, yes, you are right - I agree - the hand-me-down SC Casting Tech of the AL-31FP program, is as cutting edge as it gets and we should have copied it to Kaveri program etc). :roll:

Coming back to the topic - I think have digressed quite a lot, as usual. :x

M88 program (including M88-2 used in Rafales) on the other hand kept the LPT blade weights lower by using a completely different material technology. Trying the γ-TiAl alloy route, which is equally risky, as at that time (early 90s etc), it was a pioneering field, with no proven product fielded in Aerospace field.

These γ-TiAl alloys, are almost half the weight of Ni based superalloys* - but at the same time, dealing with γ-TiAl at a product engineering (as opposed to sample-size-based R&D efforts) level is notoriously difficult. Many advanced countries (US, Fr, UK, Ger, Japan et all) have spent enormous amounts of funds and R&D effort over multiple decades with very limited (and painfully slow) iterative tech dev.

One such example can be, to be able to engineer turbine blades, TiAl-based alloys should exhibit a reasonable ductility at room temperature (more than 1%) - and along with being able to maintain strength at the service temperature (700–800deg C for LPT applications, whereas 1100-1150 deg C for HPT ones).
Plus typically, a LPT balde geometry would be of a slim foil and thick root, twisted from hub to tip - machining such geometries in an inherently low ductility material is a huge challenge (unless you take the casting route). Moreover, the thermal conditions vary pretty wildly across the entire blade geometry from tip (highest temp) to hub (lowest temp).

Mechanical properties in γ-TiAl alloys are strongly governed by the microstructure, which in turn is affected by the chosen processing route (for example casting).

Casting, in general, results in coarser microstructure - this results in lack of strength of the part itself. For Ni Superalloy based blades, the extensive heat treatment (and strengthening) steps post casting etc, tries to alleviate this issue, but it's not that successful with Ti-Al casted parts.

This was mitigated by various Powder Metallurgy (PM) techniques wrt refining TiAl microstructures, as follows:
1) PM Metal Injection Moulding (MIM) for producing turbine blades in Ger
2) Spark Plasma Sintering (SPS) rapid processing technique in Fr
3) Laser Metal Deposition (LMD) technique (developed by ONERA, Fr)

Both 2 and 3 above helped Snecma achieve fine equiaxed lamellar microstructure of γ-TiAl alloy based near-net shape LPT blades, bumping up the operating temp levels of these LPT blades to around 800-850deg C levels (exactly what a standard LPT blade would be looking for, for a military TF application).
I'll refrain from going into more details of these (as there are further complications, tech hurdles etc), as this post has now become a too long anyway. :roll:

So, coming back to the topic ...
M88-4 program was aiming at the more "aggressive" approach of improving the LPT/Fan only, and thus increasing the mass-flow levels (from M88-2 levels) of the bypass (primary) - and maybe there was a secondary aspect of small increments to the core-mass-flow as well (I don’t know for sure though).

But with Kaveri design already allowing higher mass-flow (thru core), better still would have been to try and up-thrust the K9 itself via this lighter LPT (and improvements to the Fan/LPC) route.
That is, beg/borrow from Safran et all, the lighter LPT blade tech, via the γ-TiAl alloy route (already developed atleast 2+ decades back in the M88-2 program), and increase the dry-thrust levels majorly from the increment in bypass mass-flow (and it's velocity as well).

But industry wide "standards/thumb-rule" is ~10-12% increments via only the LPT/Fan-LPC route - beyond that some amount of work/improvement is required in the core Gas generator (i.e. the HPT+HPC) itself. So any such attempts would require a decade long design/dev/testing/certification life-cycle anyway.

Also why on earth anybody consider any such tech-transfer proposal with any seriousness - when the baseline TF architecture is itself not flight-tested and certified. A decade went by doing nothing, as the MoD Baboons cut whatever trickle-feed funding was available to the program. :((

Oh well ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Note:
From Technology pov, and just to re-iterate only (nothing is there below, that I've not pointed out, scattered across my various posts in the Kaveri thread):

TiAl alloys have
1) half the density of Ni based superalloys : (∼4g/cm3 vs ~8g/cm3)
2) high specific modulus, mechanical strength and a very good oxidation resistance, all essential pre-requisites high-temperature applications
3) GE implemented Ti-Al (specifically Ti–48Al–2Cr–2Nb, figures representing % composition) based LPT blades for their GEnX series in 2007 (actual impl was on 2011, IIRC)
4) But the GE solution was based on Investing casting tech - so had the basic drawback of coarse-grained structures (results lack of strength) remained
5) CFM partially overcame this weakness in 2016 (in their LEAP engine program) via centrifugal casting tech
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seriously need to re-cosnider my approach towards posting here - what was originally a 2-3line post replying to Rakeshji's jibe (at me being young etc), turned out to be such a long rant. :((
Take it FWIW pls ...
csaurabh
BRFite

Post by csaurabh »

hgupta wrote: 20 Dec 2023 21:27
SRajesh wrote: 20 Dec 2023 17:19 ^^Yes I can partly confirm to the point of paper 2D drawing being replaced by computer 3D modelling.
Did DRDO/HAL develop their own 3D software or did they use SolidWorks which was developed by Dassault Rafale and later commercialized? If they used SolidWorks, it means that their work is security compromised as any work you do is stored on their server and they can peer at the work you do and basically see the innards of the plane.
Umm what??
Solidworks is used as the standard 3D modeling software in India. Files are stored in the local disk and it doesn't require an internet connection. No server is needed.
ISRO/DRDO/etc have been trying to develop some CAD/CAM/simulation softwares for decades. Nothing much has come from it other than some internal codes for specific purposes (eg. Computational Fluid dynamics ). But nothing that is like a commercial software. In fact 3D CAD/CAM/Simulation software development as an industry practically doesn't exist in India. Our company is one of the few players in this field.

Standard model in Indian industry is like this
Import the software (from Dassault/Autodesk etc. ) -> Sales and Consultancy companies -> OEM ( ISRO/HAL/TATA/etc. ) -> end use for product
The consultant company may not be required if the OEM develops sufficient skill at using the software.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh wrote: 20 Dec 2023 06:42
SRajesh wrote: 20 Dec 2023 01:54Bean counters being bean counters will nitpick
Wait till the 2024 General Elections are over. We will see some tangible movement on the MRFA contest, which will tie in the MRCBF purchase as well i.e. 22 Rafale Ms and 4 Rafale Bs for the Indian Navy.
FYI....

viewtopic.php?p=2610013#p2610013
hgupta
BRFite

Post by hgupta »

csaurabh wrote: 21 Dec 2023 18:12

Umm what??
Solidworks is used as the standard 3D modeling software in India. Files are stored in the local disk and it doesn't require an internet connection. No server is needed.
ISRO/DRDO/etc have been trying to develop some CAD/CAM/simulation softwares for decades. Nothing much has come from it other than some internal codes for specific purposes (eg. Computational Fluid dynamics ). But nothing that is like a commercial software. In fact 3D CAD/CAM/Simulation software development as an industry practically doesn't exist in India. Our company is one of the few players in this field.

Standard model in Indian industry is like this
Import the software (from Dassault/Autodesk etc. ) -> Sales and Consultancy companies -> OEM ( ISRO/HAL/TATA/etc. ) -> end use for product
The consultant company may not be required if the OEM develops sufficient skill at using the software.
That is not the experience I had with SolidWorks. To gain full functionality you have to download the latest software and updates which means an internet connection. And you will need access to the library which can be only access online or through periodic updates (which could potentially include malicious software.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Boeing used Model Based Design (MBD) with CATIA with their Boeing 787, 747-8F, 747-8I as well as 777X models. Basically all of their models since 2007 at least AFAIR. All of them are security compromised is it?
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

ashishvikas wrote: 21 Dec 2023 11:29
ashishvikas wrote: 20 Dec 2023 13:54

#LCAAFMk2 Update

More in 7

#LCAAFMk2 Update 7

The wings jigs have been already cleared by CRI. The wing assembly will start by Jan 2024.

More in 8

#LCAAFMk2 Update 8

The availability of aircraft systems LRUs is now expected by Jan 2025. [ How is the pic? ]

More in 9

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/17 ... iS-zA&s=19
sanman
BRF Oldie

Post by sanman »

We should go in for joint engine development with France, and not overly rely on US.

Our relations with US, Canada, and UK are increasingly becoming seasonal.
When Lefties come to power in any of these countries, they and their vote banks tend to inflict more harassment on India.
Otherwise, when their Lefties are not in power, we can look forward to more reasonable relations.

We should plan around this seasonality. When their Lefties come to power, then we can send less students their way, instructing banks not to support student loans to those countries. We can sign less deals with those countries and take a more head-butting approach. When their Lefties are out of power, then we can have more cordial relations, allow banks to support student loans for studies in those countries, do more business deals, more arms deals, etc.

It's time for the Rhythm Method.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

ISRO/DRDO/etc have been trying to develop some CAD/CAM/simulation softwares for decades. Nothing much has come from it other than some internal codes for specific purposes (eg. Computational Fluid dynamics ). But nothing that is like a commercial software.
Autolay software makes ADA a global leader
Bangalore: our approach has always been not merely to develop an aircraft, but the technologies that make an aircraft. and today not only the aircraft has taken off, but also the technologies. -- dr kota harinarayana, lca programme director, ada. kota can now feel proud with the aeronautical development agency (ada) inking a $3.2-million pact with us-based parametric technology corporation (ptc) recently for worldwide marketing of ada software, autolay.
With this, ada gets due recognition of being one of the key technology players in the global cad/cam scenario alongside ibm's catia composites, unigraphics' packs and vistagy's fibersim -- all from the us. autolay's achievement lies in the fact that it is unique in offering design integrated virtual manufacturing capability for laminated composite components. also, airbus industries' decision to go in for autolay for their latest 600-seater a-380 project demonstrates beyond doubt that this software is best-in-class in the area of composites. ``this is a significant achievement considering the fact that, probably for the first time, a software product of such technical excellence is exported at a time when the focus of indian software industry is oriented more towards providing service than product innovation. this gives credence to the fact that a high-tech project like lca leads to many spin-offs thus empowering the technology base and also bolstering the economic strength of the country,'' says dr b.g. prakash, group director and chief systems engineer, computer-aided engineering group, ada.
ADA signs contract with Infosys for transfer of AUTOLAY software
The AUTOLAY software, one of the several spin offs from LCA technologies, has earned good revenues for ADA in the past seven years. With increasing acceptability of composites in several engineering applications in Aerospace and Automotive sectors, the AUTOLAY software is poised for greater success in the years to come.

"AUTOLAY product is specific to composite materials and would find increased use in the Automotive and Aerospace industries", said Mr. S Gopalakrishnan, COO, Infosys Technologies Ltd. "We are glad that we are able to take AUTOLAY, developed by ADA, to international markets through our world class quality systems, technology expertise and network of clients worldwide."
https://www.siliconindia.com/magazine_a ... 74637.html
But, overshadowed by the euphoria over the first flight of the LCA, a revolution is quietly brewing. Some time in 2000, the Defense Research Development Organization, an umbrella organization that consists of 51 laboratories, decided to license spin off technologies—corollaries to the actual task of building the world's smallest combat aircraft. As a first step, the CAD software—Autolay—developed by scientists at the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), the nodal agency for the LCA, was earmarked for licensing.

ADA announced that its flagship software product, Autolay, would be licensed to commercial aircraft maker Airbus Industrie for $3.2 million for use in its new commercial super jumbo project: A 380.

The contract was the culmination of a long-drawn and extensive benchmarking by Airbus Industrie to select composites software for the A380 project. The contract marked a first of sorts. At a time when governments around the world were being forced to cut down on defense expenditure, India was having its own defense R&D expenditure being subsidized by the sale of spin-off technologies.
csaurabh
BRFite

Post by csaurabh »

Ashokk wrote: 22 Dec 2023 15:32 ISRO/DRDO/etc have been trying to develop some CAD/CAM/simulation softwares for decades. Nothing much has come from it other than some internal codes for specific purposes (eg. Computational Fluid dynamics ). But nothing that is like a commercial software.
I am aware of this Autolay thing. I don't think anything came of it that survives to the modern day. Airbus may have had some reasons to buy it at the time (the amount is like pocket change for them). But very unlikely they use it now. If you'll notice, the articles quoted are from 20 years back.

Another much touted 'software development' is ISRO's FEAST software for Finite element analysis. But truly nobody uses it outside of maybe some educational institutes. Even in ISRO, the focus is on using Ansys / Hypermesh . (Aside: I know some excellent people in the FEAST development program. I'm sure they did their best but they have hardly any resources and it is exactly a priority for ISRO )

I should disclose that my company has been awarded a DRDO contract for developing a software similar to Autolay. And this is my day to day job. So it's possible, I know what I am talking about..
hgupta
BRFite

Post by hgupta »

Kartik wrote: 22 Dec 2023 12:52

Boeing used Model Based Design (MBD) with CATIA with their Boeing 787, 747-8F, 747-8I as well as 777X models. Basically all of their models since 2007 at least AFAIR. All of them are security compromised is it?
The models you cited are civilian planes. DRDO/HAL/ADA are developing a military plane with sensitive information. Not sure how that comparison applies. Moreover, by law Boeing and US defense manufacturers must only use computer systems that are certified as being compliant with US security laws, i.e., those computer systems must be situated on US soil and can only be accessed by people with US security clearance levels. All servers must be situated on US soil and none of the info/data can go out of the US.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh wrote: 20 Dec 2023 06:46
drnayar wrote: 20 Dec 2023 01:56 What if GOIs inference is that if the engine tech is not sufficiently forthcoming from the American mic as agreed, the Tejas 2 could be held hostage in the way it is being currently going to be implemented?

Doctor Saab, there has been no official shift. All indications is that the GE F414 is still coming and the Tejas Mk2 will use that turbofan. The clause about the funds being released, only upon the ToT of the GE F414 has caused a lot of unnecessary speculation on twitter.

The very last thing the Tejas Mk2 program needs now is a change of turbofan. I really hope not!
If *ANY* formal & concrete announcement is made on the engine front for AMCA - during Macron's visit to India in January of next year - then expect the GOI to do a diplomatic de-link from the GE F414 deal for the Tejas Mk2 program. In July of this year, Modi and Macron already had released one official press communique ---> viewtopic.php?p=2595024#p2595024

Not at all ideal - as this will delay the Tejas Mk2 program - but Unkil needs to get off the high horse that he is sitting on. Raking up Pannu was a BAD idea by the US State department. If this spirals out of control - because of US Govt mismanagement - it will also affect the second tranche of GE F404 turbofans (i.e. 97 Tejas Mk1As). I doubt even the first tranche has started delivery (for 83 Tejas Mk1As). Can someone please confirm?

See these recent posts....

viewtopic.php?p=2610085#p2610085

viewtopic.php?p=2610084#p2610084

viewtopic.php?p=2610092#p2610092

viewtopic.php?p=2610090#p2610090
Highly recommended video to watch IMVHO.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Regardless of anything else, we should focus on Atmanirbhar engine (which can include collaboration with the French whereby we get full IP ownership). This is true whether the Pannu fiasco happened or not.

Engines, like microchips, are far too critical to be left sanction'able. U.S not to be trusted and will use every lever at its disposal if the balloon goes up, as we saw in the Ukraine war
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

I think it is time to hedge against both 404 and 414. US behavior is unreliable in this case and can delay both Tejas Mk1A and Mk2.
DRDO/HAL should work in parallel to integrate M88-3 or M88-4E in Mk1A for next batch of 97 Mk1As and either M88-4 or upgraded version of Kaveri for Mk2 but then there is that stupid clause , it doesn't make any sense to put that kind of clause when you are developing a fighter not manufacturing it. Only a idiot or dalal can come up with it.
hgupta
BRFite

Post by hgupta »

That clause should have been amended to say GE414 or its likewise alternative such as M-88-4 or Rolls Royce engine.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

ashishvikas wrote: 22 Dec 2023 13:48
ashishvikas wrote: 21 Dec 2023 11:29

#LCAAFMk2 Update 7

More in 8

#LCAAFMk2 Update 8

The availability of aircraft systems LRUs is now expected by Jan 2025. [ How is the pic? ]

More in 9

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/17 ... iS-zA&s=19

#LCAAFMk2 Update 9

The aircraft equipping and integration will start by Dec 2024 and is expected to end within 6 months, i.e. June 2025.

More in 10 [Final]

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/17 ... 1KJ-g&s=19
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

With regards to the clause:
Have it been introduced not as an hinderance to development but as a signal to certain elements within US administration that we are not going to be foolish enough to give our testimonials for 'Pocket Billiard"
What if it's to say okay we can look at alternatives even if it means a delay???
And we are barking up the wrong tree and berating the Baboos!!
Remember NaMo's oft repeated statements of Multipolar World Order
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

hgupta wrote: 23 Dec 2023 12:43 That clause should have been amended to say GE414 or its likewise alternative such as M-88-4 or Rolls Royce engine.
No engine manufacturer will mate their turbofan to an aircraft, without a signed contract.

That is why there was a contest between the GE F414 and the EJ200. The former won. If the switch is made to the EJ200, then negotiations will have to start with Rolls Royce. And when that is completed (and heaven only knows when that will be!), the Tejas Mk2 program will be even more delayed. And there will be nothing different with the Rolls Royce offer, when compared to the GE offer.

You can't just take a turbofan off the shelf and plug it into a combat aircraft. There are a myriad of technical considerations at play. And those considerations can only be satisfactorily answered with a detailed technical review on mating the turbofan to the airframe. This technical review will require a signed contract with an OEM. And that will involve money. You can't dole out money to two (or more) OEMs to do the exact same thing. No Indian Govt will not sanction this.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

SRajesh wrote: 23 Dec 2023 14:37 With regards to the clause:
Have it been introduced not as an hinderance to development but as a signal to certain elements within US administration that we are not going to be foolish enough to give our testimonials for 'Pocket Billiard"
Within the halls of power in New Delhi, there are many forces at play with varied agendas. Not everyone is on the same page.

The value of investing in your own MIC (i.e. Atmanirbhar Bharat) is a relatively new concept in New Delhi, as it was introduced in the second term of this Govt. After 75+ years of importing weapon platforms and systems, it is not easy to turn the dial towards full self reliance. A number of palms are greased when phoren maal is purchased. When those palms are no longer greased, the Govt will face significant backlash against that. In the halls of power in New Delhi, it is an open secret that the real reason why the Congress Party made a hungama over the renewed Rafale deal (36 vs 126) is because they did not get their "usual" commission, as they do from such deals. INC after all stands for I Need Commission, instead of Indian National Congress.

At times, clauses are introduced to stymie the development of local maal. There are many sordid episodes of platform acquisitions from abroad. The Marut, the Jaguar and the Mirage 2000 acquisitions come to mind. All three occurred during Congress rule.
SRajesh wrote: 23 Dec 2023 14:37What if it's to say okay we can look at alternatives even if it means a delay???
And we are barking up the wrong tree and berating the Baboos!!
Remember NaMo's oft repeated statements of Multipolar World Order
If the F414 is not coming, then an alternative will have to be looked at. Delay will happen, but then there is no other choice. If the F414 is indeed blocked, the more immediate concern will be with the 83 Mk1A contract and the upcoming 97 Mk1A contract.

Govts, Bureaucracy and the Service all share the blame with the low squadron shortage in the IAF. Unkil's behaviour exaggerates the situation.