Naval Tejas Mk1: News & Discussion - 03 January 2020

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Naval Tejas Mk1: News & Discussion - 03 January 2020

Post by Rakesh »

Excellent news. Page 1 has been updated.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Addition of NP5 aircraft to LCA Navy prototype fleet will help to accelerate flight testing activities which will provide designers vital inputs towards design and development of the Twin Engine Deck Based Fighter (TEDBF), the prestigious futuristic carrier aircraft programme of the country.LCA Navy can also serve as an effective training platform for Indian Navy pilots for operations from the aircraft carriers. The new prototype NP5 will soon undertake field and carrier operations from both INS Vikramaditya and INS Vikrant, ADA said, adding it will incorporate all improvements identified during exploitation of NP1 and NP2 is a production ready aircraft. It will also incorporate the production standard airframe and rainwater compliance, maintainability improvements as well as futuristic system advancement.
Source: Maiden flight of LCA Navy Trainer Prototype aircraft successfully conducted
Last edited by basant on 18 Aug 2023 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Thank you for posting this link Basant. I needed the names of the pilots who took NP-5 on her first test flight. I will update Page 1 now.
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Always a pleasure, Admiral.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

What a beauty ! NLCA is the prettiest variant of Tejas ...
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

basant wrote: 18 Aug 2023 18:46
The new prototype NP5 will soon undertake field and carrier operations from both INS Vikramaditya and INS Vikrant, ADA said, adding it will incorporate all improvements identified during exploitation of NP1 and NP2 is a production ready aircraft. It will also incorporate the production standard airframe and rainwater compliance, maintainability improvements as well as futuristic system advancement.
Source: Maiden flight of LCA Navy Trainer Prototype aircraft successfully conducted
Does that mean the fuel system issues that Mao sir had indicated exists in NP1 and NP2 have been addressed?
Barath
BRFite

Post by Barath »

Rakesh wrote: 18 Aug 2023 18:42 Excellent news. Page 1 has been updated.
Could you add S1 EP48 of blueskies podcast to page 1 please ? (just before the DDR article). This is Cmdr Maolankar on the NLCA

Either transcript from below or podcast, whatever you prefer

https://blueskiespodcast.com/transcripts

https://youtu.be/Juri9dThwwA
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Barath wrote: 19 Aug 2023 05:48
Could you add S1 EP48 of blueskies podcast to page 1 please ? (just before the DDR article). This is Cmdr Maolankar on the NLCA

Either transcript from below or podcast, whatever you prefer
The youtube video is already there in the first post of this thread.

Go to the Videos sub-heading and you will see it.
Barath
BRFite

Post by Barath »

Ah, thanks. My mistake
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Even the Rafale M doesnt have a trainer version. When this bird lands and takes off from Vikrant, that will be another memorable day. Well done ADA, HAL, ASTE and IN !
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

Witness a monumental moment in India's naval history as the LCA Navy conquers the challenging task of landing and taking off from the INS Vikrant.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://x.com/hvtiaf/status/1717480371594371525?s=20 ---> Slam. Look at the pilots. Look at the squeezed nose tire. Look at the compressed nose oleo. Most fighters never experience this. LCA Navy LIFT.

https://x.com/hvtiaf/status/1717480790844403868?s=20 ---> Main wheel tire.

Nikhil_Naya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nikhil_Naya »

Rakesh wrote: 26 Oct 2023 17:46 https://x.com/hvtiaf/status/1717480371594371525?s=20 ---> Slam. Look at the pilots. Look at the squeezed nose tire. Look at the compressed nose oleo. Most fighters never experience this. LCA Navy LIFT.
''

Highlighted the key word here - LIFT - will this be the Navy Fighter trainer and all the work will fructify? Lesser wear on the Mig29K and Future Rafales...
Also, a capable point defense aircraft that can still be carried on board the AC.
Shall we see a future where the VikAD becomes a 'standby/trainer AC' with 2 squadrons of LCA Navy LIFT and the Vikrant and Vik2 become the 'active' Carriers?
So Navy Airmen graduate from the Hawk - NAVY LIFT - Mig29K/ Rafale.
Not sure of the payload of the Navy LIFT - I shall call it "Badal" (Shivaji Maharaj's Horse).
If Badal can carry a couple of Astra missiles with an underslung Anti Ship Missile it will be a formidable aircraft to back up the Raf/M29K...
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

@Nikhil_Naya: Future naval pilots will undergo a training schedule based on something like this...

HTT-40 (BTA) ---> HJT-36 (IJT) ---> BAe Hawk Mk 132 (AJT) ---> Naval Tejas (for aircraft carrier training) ---> Rafale M / TEDBF
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Great pix. Whats a compressed nose "oleo" ? Oleo = oil..what?
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Ah could be nose wheel shock absorber, hyrdaulic = oleo as per jargon I guess...

Of all LCA models, I think this is the one that has most export potential to NATO countries operating carriers.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

Cyrano wrote: 30 Oct 2023 16:40
Of all LCA models, I think this is the one that has most export potential to NATO countries operating carriers.
What country?

US, France have their own fighters and pretty much everyone else in NATO with aircraft carriers is using or plans to use F-35B since their carriers are STOVL/VTOL

The only countries operating STOBAR carriers besides us is Russia and China.

As far as training goes then France etc have already decided that simulator training is enough until pilots are ready to land by themselves and the US provides training to all who use F-35.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Prior to Rafale M simulator training in France, the French Navy sends her rookie pilots to train with the US Navy on the T-45 Goshawk. Just to get a real world feel of taking off and landing from an aircraft carrier. It makes perfect sense for the French Navy, as the catapult system on the Charles De Gaulle is the same system found on the Nimitz Class aircraft carrier. The company that made the catapult system for the Nimitz Class, supplied the same system to the French Navy. Even the French Navy's new generation aircraft carrier (i.e. PANG) will use the same EMALS system found on the Gerald R Ford Class aircraft carrier.

These catapult systems are also why Northrop Grumman's E-2C/D AEW aircraft is so prominently featured on French aircraft carriers. When you operate the same system, platforms are fully interoperable. Rafale Ms of the French Navy can operate with ease from US aircraft carriers and one airframe even did an entire engine change on the USS George HW Bush. Don't be surprised to see future Malabar exercises featuring Rafale Ms of the Indian Navy taking off from US aircraft carriers. Same scenario with future Varuna exercises with the French Navy.

The Naval Tejas has a strong future, thanks to the selection of the Rafale M by the Indian Naval Air Arm. Similar setup like the French Navy, but the Indian Navy's training regimen will be "near" entirely on swadeshi platforms:

HTT-40 (BTA) ---> HJT-36 (IJT) ---> BAe Hawk Mk 132 (AJT) ---> Naval Tejas (for aircraft carrier training) ---> Rafale M / TEDBF

The Indian Navy will flog these Naval Tejas like no tomorrow, which is valuable data/experience for TEDBF.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

Rakesh wrote: 30 Oct 2023 18:49 Don't be surprised to see future Malabar exercises featuring Rafale Ms of the Indian Navy taking off from US aircraft carriers. ... Same scenario with future Varuna exercises with the French Navy.
You know, I was thinking exactly the same thing myself. Complete speculation on my part, of course, but I'm glad someone else is thinking creatively along the same lines. 8)

On a separate but related topic (i.e. more speculation from me), I wonder if TEDBF will be catapult-launchable from a French / American aircraft-carrier? Probably not, I'm guessing, because the nose landing gear is not designed for the stress of a catapult launch.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Roop wrote: 31 Oct 2023 09:22
Snip.....

On a separate but related topic (i.e. more speculation from me), I wonder if TEDBF will be catapult-launchable from a French / American aircraft-carrier? Probably not, I'm guessing, because the nose landing gear is not designed for the stress of a catapult launch.

If the TEDBF or the NLCA are actually put in service. Then being developed in India. We will have the freedom to build a subsequent Mk 2 of both the aircraft capable of catapult operations.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I believe I posted this picture before, but in case...

https://x.com/officialTatya_1/status/17 ... 54906?s=20 ---> Naval LCA Tejas.

hgupta
BRFite

Post by hgupta »

How many naval LCAs do we have? 2? or more?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

hgupta wrote: 01 Nov 2023 21:31 How many naval LCAs do we have? 2? or more?
Saar, from Page 1 of this thread...
Rakesh wrote: 03 Jan 2020 22:09 Acronyms:
• NP ---> Naval Prototype
• KHN-T ---> Two Seat Naval Trainer
• KHN ---> Single Seat Naval Fighter

First Flights of Naval Tejas Mk1 Prototypes

Construction Number ... Serial Number ... Aircraft First Flight ... Pilot(s)
• NP-1 ... KHN-T-3001 ... 27-Apr-12 ... Commodore Jaideep Maolankar (IN) and Wing Commander Malteesh Prabhu (IAF)
• NP-2 ... KHN-3002 ... 07-Feb-15 ... Captain Shivnath Dahiya (IN)
• NP-5 ... KHN-T-3005 ... 18-Aug-23 ... Captain Amit Kawade (IN) with Wing Commander Siddarth Singh (Retd)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://x.com/writetake/status/1730214472181293398?s=20 ---> Just a coincidence that the DAC nod for additional Tejas Mk1A came on a day when I was going through an yet-to-be-published, voluminous book by a very senior military official. It is true that not many in India understood the pains & pleasures of developing -- for the first time -- a platform that could undertake carrier ops. The challenges were many & one by one the team overcame them, inching closer to their dream of shaping a ship-borne aircraft. Whatever may be the shortcomings it has, like many who expressed in the past, I too still strongly feel a few numbers of naval LCAs could have been ordered. It would have only boosted the Aatmanirbharta & not dented it. Can it be still done? Or is it too late?

JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Mao Sir is on record that LCA-Navy isn't anywhere near matured for production. Unlike Tejas FOC, Naval version has far too many jugaads. The effort needed to get it production ready is better spent on NP-5 and other critical paths for TEDBF.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

JTull wrote: 30 Nov 2023 20:47 Mao Sir is on record that LCA-Navy isn't anywhere near matured for production. Unlike Tejas FOC, Naval version has far too many jugaads. The effort needed to get it production ready is better spent on NP-5 and other critical paths for TEDBF.

Its a bit of chicken and egg tho.. There isn't any budget to be spent fixing those "jugaads" and as result HAL can't allocate any real resources and time to NLCA besides what the NP series requires"

If there was an order of even 8 NLCAs as a naval trainer/shore based test bed for upcoming TEDBF technologies /deployment at A & N etc then that money can be spent maturing NLCA.

That's what we have seen in the past with LCA/LCH etc

But I guess IN feels they don't have the budget to support that endeavor.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Purely from a technical stand point. I don't really understand the argument about the NLCA being unfit for carrier operations.

1) how difficult would it be integrate the mission suit of the Mk1 A into the NLCA airframe?

2) how much cost and effort would it take to harden the mission suite for the rigours of carrier operations?

This should not take more than 24 months and 2000 crores at the upper end of the scale.

The further advantage of this effort would be to de risk the TEDBF program.
hgupta
BRFite

Post by hgupta »

Pratyush wrote: 01 Dec 2023 09:42 Purely from a technical stand point. I don't really understand the argument about the NLCA being unfit for carrier operations.

1) how difficult would it be integrate the mission suit of the Mk1 A into the NLCA airframe?

2) how much cost and effort would it take to harden the mission suite for the rigours of carrier operations?

This should not take more than 24 months and 2000 crores at the upper end of the scale.

The further advantage of this effort would be to de risk the TEDBF program.
Tejas with its single engine simply do not have enough thrust to take off from a ski ramp with all that mission suites and weapons. It is only fit for training roles because it can only lift off with minimal weapons and circle around close by and return to land. The only utility from that is training how to take off and land on aircraft carriers and IN does not have a huge cadre of pilots to train like the USN. Its fighter inventory is only at 45 fighters right now. That is why IN do not need more than 8 N-LCAs for training purposes.

If the IN had a catapult capable carrier, the story would be different and we would have seen more N-LCAs.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

It can be a great training and Carrier defense craft. 12-18 would do well for IN. Much more high availability than the low 15-20% for M29Ks (from wiki)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »