Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
madhu
BRFite

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Resource Thread

Postby madhu » 02 Apr 2020 13:26

chola wrote:Chini mil has a vaccine. They want to test the thing overseas.

Who's gonna let the Chinese military inject their population with a microbial agent? Italy, Spain, Germany, France? Politically impossible in the US.

Chinese military scientists hope to test coronavirus vaccine abroad

*Results from a first-stage clinical trial will be published this month, but researchers say more extensive tests would best be conducted overseas
*Tests conducted in some of the worst-hit countries could help produce faster and more accurate results

Minnie Chan
Published: 6:30am, 2 Apr, 2020

why is Chinese military scientists doing with vaccination ? some thing is not meeting end here.

Gyan
BRFite

Postby Gyan » 02 Apr 2020 13:42

Jay wrote:Now the New Yorker is saying that a peer reviewed study on the anti malarial drug as a potential covid19 cure showed no benefits at all. Pretty disappointed I say about all the conflicting news. Yes masks, no masks to potential cure, no cure.

https://www.newyorker.com/newes/daily-comment/a-new-study-questions-the-effectiveness-of-a-potential-game-changer-against-the-coronavirus

US liberal newspapers are misreporting the results of studies and surveys. I have read most of these studies & their data. Broadly

Hydroxychloroquine alone 87% cure rate, same as retroviral used for HIVs

Hydroxychloroquine + Azythromycin =+97% same as Favipiravir from Japan

Hydroxychloroquine +Azithromycin +Zinc = almost 100%

Western Nations continue to suffer as Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine protocols is emergency treatment as a last resort and it seems that earliest possible treatment is best.

sum
BRF Oldie

Postby sum » 02 Apr 2020 15:39

Can guess which minority community this happened with.
ASHA worker on COVID-19 surveillance assaulted in Bengaluru

nam
BRF Oldie

Postby nam » 02 Apr 2020 15:49

https://www.covid19india.org/ is showing only 46 new cases so far.

If it stays below 150, then the Delhi incident would be a one off, until the next super spread.

Less than 150, would be a sign the lockdown effect has kicked in.

Bart S
BRF Oldie

Postby Bart S » 02 Apr 2020 16:19

Jay wrote:Now the New Yorker is saying that a peer reviewed study on the anti malarial drug as a potential covid19 cure showed no benefits at all. Pretty disappointed I say about all the conflicting news. Yes masks, no masks to potential cure, no cure.

https://www.newyorker.com/newes/daily-comment/a-new-study-questions-the-effectiveness-of-a-potential-game-changer-against-the-coronavirus

There is a lot of FUD being spread. A french journalist/doctor who was all over the media bashing Raoult's study was found to be on the payroll of companies selling rival 'cures' that were patented drugs.

arvin
BRFite

Postby arvin » 02 Apr 2020 16:25

disha wrote:I think there is a silver lining in the dark clouds.

3. It exposed the entire Jamaati network which was undermining India. Think of the virus is an agent that exposes not just the top honchos, but from the central node to the remotest node and all the way to the foot soldier. Their place of stay and their support network. Their international buddies too were roped in for good measure!

I had a severe rat infestation once. The rats took the bait and took it across the furthest corners of the house and died there. I never knew that some of the areas had 'holes' that allowed the rats in.

Coronavirus served its purpose as the bait.

Good analogy. Another one is how a PET scanner works. You inject a tracer that gets absorbed differently by healthy and diseased cells and the bad ones get lit up in the PET scan image. This will give away the length and reach of Jammat's influence across the country.
For carrying the respiratory disease so far and wide despite govt notices and requests, its a good time to rebrand it as TB league Jamat (TM)(R).

DrRatnadip
BRFite

Postby DrRatnadip » 02 Apr 2020 17:03

ramana wrote:Dr. Ratnadip,

I read reports that ARDS from Covid-19 is not same as from flu. It's more damaging.

yes sir..Some pts do show rapid detoriation .. I am trying to collect case histories of pts on ventilator or those who are dead due to COVID directly from treating physicians and residents ..My special interest is to know difference between clinical course of COVID and other endemic causes of ARDS like H1N1.. Will try to summarize and post it soon..

kvraghav
BRFite

Postby kvraghav » 02 Apr 2020 17:11

Bart S wrote:There is a lot of FUD being spread. A french journalist/doctor who was all over the media bashing Raoult's study was found to be on the payroll of companies selling rival 'cures' that were patented drugs.

I feel one such company is Gilead which is trying to cover the losses it made from remdesivir which failed for ebola, Looks like they want to pitch this as a cure for corona,

Rsatchi
BRFite

Postby Rsatchi » 02 Apr 2020 17:16

arvin wrote:
disha wrote:I think there is a silver lining in the dark clouds.

3. It exposed the entire Jamaati network which was undermining India. its a good time to rebrand it as TB league Jamat (TM)(R).

Arvinji
totally agree, now that even the liberandu's are calling for their head, reminds me of Sholay dialogue from Thakur (AKA Sanjeev K): 'Loha garam hai Maar do Haathoda' :lol: :lol:
Also can some confirm if this quote truly from Prof.Swamy : 'A moderate peaceful is an Oxymoron like 'Boiled Ice-cream' :rotfl: :rotfl:

Gyan
BRFite

Postby Gyan » 02 Apr 2020 17:17

kvraghav wrote:
Bart S wrote:There is a lot of FUD being spread. A french journalist/doctor who was all over the media bashing Raoult's study was found to be on the payroll of companies selling rival 'cures' that were patented drugs.

I feel one such company is Gilead which is trying to cover the losses it made from remdesivir which failed for ebola, Looks like they want to pitch this as a cure for corona,

Remdesivir is supposedly having serious side effects. Favipavir is also in running.

kvraghav
BRFite

Postby kvraghav » 02 Apr 2020 17:20

Gyan wrote:
kvraghav wrote:I feel one such company is Gilead which is trying to cover the losses it made from remdesivir which failed for ebola, Looks like they want to pitch this as a cure for corona,

Remdesivir is supposedly having serious side effects. Favipavir is also in running.

Favipavir is same compostion as hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin right?

srai
BRF Oldie

Postby srai » 02 Apr 2020 17:24

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

1 million cases
50,000 deaths

5% death rate average

By the end of this pandemic, the US will end up with the largest number of casualties followed closely by Europe.

Remains to be seen the true impact on the subcontinent. Not enough testing and reporting at this point.

Gyan
BRFite

Postby Gyan » 02 Apr 2020 17:31

kvraghav wrote:
Gyan wrote:

Favipavir is same compostion as hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin right?

No, completely different, Japanese Retroviral drug

Rsatchi
BRFite

Postby Rsatchi » 02 Apr 2020 17:38

Gyan wrote:

US liberal newspapers are misreporting the results of studies and surveys. I have read most of these studies & their data. Broadly

Western Nations continue to suffer as Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine protocols is emergency treatment as a last resort and it seems that earliest possible treatment is best.

Different Hospital in UK dealing differently
Mostly it is supportive care with O2 and later ITU support.
Many not receiving antiviral
HQ is not being used at all at least in the Mersey area.!!

prashanth
BRFite

Postby prashanth » 02 Apr 2020 17:47

nam wrote:https://www.covid19india.org/ is showing only 46 new cases so far.

If it stays below 150, then the Delhi incident would be a one off, until the next super spread.

Less than 150, would be a sign the lockdown effect has kicked in.

Looks like that site needs an update. Kejriwal announced there are 208 cases in Delhi. That site lists 152.

schinnas
BRFite

Postby schinnas » 02 Apr 2020 18:00

It is frustrating to see people constantly complain about lack of testing in India. Can more tests be done, yes, but it is a stupid strategy? Because once a person is negative, does not mean they will stay negative. So they would need to be tested again and again.

There is absolutely NO data that indicates that there is order of magnitude infestation in India than what is reported. If it existed in any pockets, it will come out the way Tabligji Jamat came out with more than 6 of the infested dying and many others in hospital care. Except for the Taglibi followers, there has not been any increase in hospitalisations in India, indicating the for normal population, the spread has been very low.

More testing will only help in quickly testing the nearby people and completing the contact tracing and associated quarantine quickly. With a combination of symptomatic testing and random testing of non symptomatic people, and watching the hospitalisation cases like a hawk, India is doing a very well calibrated approach.

With the added lockdown, one would start seeing that the total infections to start dropping from next week onwards.

VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Postby VinodTK » 02 Apr 2020 18:20

Gyan wrote:

+++Agreed Gyan, the above combinations are working as per quite a few doctors

niran
BRF Oldie

Postby niran » 02 Apr 2020 19:07

Arun.prabhu wrote:The focus on the tests is pretty hard to understand when up to 60% of the infected show no symptoms and do not qualify for the tests.

where does this 60% asymptomatic comes from?

chanakyaa
BRFite

Postby chanakyaa » 02 Apr 2020 19:31

Some non-anglo perspective on what may be working/being tried etc.

Why Is Germany's Coronavirus Death Rate So Low?
...According to experts, Germany’s case fatality rate is so low due to its widespread testing. “In some countries only very symptomatic cases are tested (e.g. in Italy) and in others a broader testing strategy is done (e.g. in Germany),” writes Dr. Dietrich Rothenbacher, the director of the Institute for Epidemiology at Ulm University in Germany,
Even though Germany and Italy’s populations have similar average ages—they’re the two most elderly nations in the European Union—the median age of Germany’s population known to be infected by COVID-19 is lower: 46 as opposed to Italy’s 63. Smeeth says the lower average age is likely to just be a side effect of widespread testing. “If you are testing more people, then you will get a much younger age distribution of positive cases,” Smeeth says. “It doesn’t necessarily mean that the true age distribution of the virus is radically different between the two countries.”

Saudis Deploy Clerics to Say Fighting Virus Isn’t Anti-Islamic
In slick videos produced by government institutions, the clerics reinforce the message in soundbites urging social-distancing, highlighting a Muslim’s duty to preserve life and extolling the measures taken by King Salman against coronavirus. One featuring several members of the Council of Senior Scholars showed them rubbing their hands with sanitizer before addressing the faithful.

brar_w
BRF Oldie

Postby brar_w » 02 Apr 2020 19:55

srai wrote:https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

1 million cases
50,000 deaths

5% death rate average

That is an inflated number based on testing. The denominator completely ignores those who were never tested or those who remained asymptomatic or were otherwise not hospitalized. It also takes the Chinese communist party data at face value. For all we know, China could have under-reported by an order of magnitude. The "global" data also does not fully capture what is happening in small pockets or nations where things have gotten out of control. A similar formula, when applied to Italy, would get a number closer to 11% while the same for the US is only 2.3% currently. Similarly, New York has a # that is 2X that of Florida for example. It is a function of how much you have tested, and also how concentrated your cases are.

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Postby arshyam » 02 Apr 2020 20:09

schinnas wrote:It is frustrating to see people constantly complain about lack of testing in India. Can more tests be done, yes, but it is a stupid strategy? Because once a person is negative, does not mean they will stay negative. So they would need to be tested again and again.

Agreed. Not sure how many times this has to be reiterated - all those posts explaining why mass testing is not useful in the Indian contexts taken together would itself fill a couple of pages. I do wish people would read before posting the same thing over and over again.

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Postby arshyam » 02 Apr 2020 20:12

About this Nizamuddin tableeghi crap, I am curious about one thing.

When Kanika Kapoor was symptomatic (and has since been tested +ve 5 consecutive times, poor woman) and attended the closed door party with a bunch of people, none of the others got infected. Of course, their self-imposed isolation helped contain the fallout, but to my knowledge, no one else complained about developing symptoms (please correct if I am mistaken).

But with this tableeghi idiots, what did they do in that confounded place that most of them came out infected? What gives?

Kaivalya
BRFite

Postby Kaivalya » 02 Apr 2020 20:27

arshyam wrote:About this Nizamuddin tableeghi crap, I am curious about one thing.

When Kanika Kapoor was symptomatic (and has since been tested +ve 5 consecutive times, poor woman) and attended the closed door party with a bunch of people, none of the others got infected. Of course, their self-imposed isolation helped contain the fallout, but to my knowledge, no one else complained about developing symptoms (please correct if I am mistaken).

But with this tableeghi idiots, what did they do in that confounded place that most of them came out infected? What gives?

Saar...please do a google on namaz postures. In close quarters, 5 times a day you basically touch everything and your face.

Or you do something like this ( Australia, speeding on the way to covid testing )

https://www.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgowrong/comments/fqbtuz/dont_spit_on_a_coptwice/

saip
BRF Oldie

Postby saip » 02 Apr 2020 20:31

Kanika 'Covid' Kapoor, would not have been spitting, sneezing or coughing without covering. But these illiterate idiots would not have taken care (spitting jihad?)? I am sure they also did not have enough toilets. Previous SAR-COV was isolated from urine and stool samples but so far, if it is the same about SAR-COV2, is not known (CDC). Also, where did these 1500 people sleep during the four days?

Rsatchi
BRFite

Postby Rsatchi » 02 Apr 2020 20:32

arshyam wrote:About this Nizamuddin tableeghi crap, I am curious about one thing.

Arshyamji:
One reason could be the eating habit.
Have U ever attended a Peaceful Wedding feast, U would then know what I mean
Even though KK attended party, it wasn't an old style 'Rubella Party' or the new style 'Pox Party'(https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... X36U6KwEhV, link for FY!). :lol: :lol:
Mostly likely communal eating/drinking habit.

suryag
Forum Moderator

Postby suryag » 02 Apr 2020 20:55

Just in, my friend from Vizag called, apparently one of the TJ returnees went around every Muslim home in their area to bless them and now he has turned positive, most likely the area will be cordoned off

arvin
BRFite

Postby arvin » 02 Apr 2020 21:02

My theory is since those guys are living a version of Islam as it was in 7 AD. That means no TV, no Mobile, no Broadband but also no vaccinations.
As per the link below, there might be a co-relation between fewer deaths\infections in countries with mandatory BCG vaccinations.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... tb-vaccine
So to add to the above reasons given by posters, I feel there is a possibe link between BCG vaccination and infections.
The vaccination might reduce the odds of infection or help in recovery if infected.
It would be interesting to see how many of those TaB-leaguey members who are infected have a vaccination history.
Last edited by arvin on 02 Apr 2020 21:08, edited 2 times in total.

Mollick.R
BRFite

Postby Mollick.R » 02 Apr 2020 21:05

arshyam wrote:
schinnas wrote:It is frustrating to see people constantly complain about lack of testing in India. Can more tests be done, yes, but it is a stupid strategy? Because once a person is negative, does not mean they will stay negative. So they would need to be tested again and again.

Agreed. Not sure how many times this has to be reiterated - all those posts explaining why mass testing is not useful in the Indian contexts taken together would itself fill a couple of pages. I do wish people would read before posting the same thing over and over again.

For past several days what I'm observing in various whatsapp & telegram groups of friends/family/colleagues there is lots taunting & flaks by leftists & peacefuls on this single most point that "India is not doing enough testing as compared to x y z country" blah blah blah............. and GOI ia failing / will fail on fight against ChinaVirus19 only because of not doing enough testing. They are just throwing up DDM articles by Chindu/India 2day etc and constantly hammering GOI.

I try to counter those narratives as much as possible with whatever counter argument points I gather from BRF and Internet (like health authorities of Finland saying WHO to Fu(k Aff on it's guidelines etc).

Thus a very important request to Gurus here. If someone can write a pointwise and well articulated rebuttal piece on this subject (Irrelevance of Mass Testing in Indian Context) and get it published through dharmic media outlets like Swarajya or Opindia.

Believe me this will help us a lot to fight the battle of narratives with peacefulls and their handlers.

Please do consider.
Last edited by Mollick.R on 02 Apr 2020 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Postby sanjaykumar » 02 Apr 2020 21:08

Please maintain some etiquette, if you must provide assertions on treatment, you have a responsibility to post a reference. I cannot make it any simpler than this. It otherwise undermines your credibility as well as intelligence.

Zynda
BRFite

Postby Zynda » 02 Apr 2020 21:16

Although, the current situation is very much fluid (& with recent up tick in number of vases due to Tableeghi crap) and with almost two more weeks to go...anything can happen wrt to lock-down continuation.

But it seems like the thought process today from PM/PMO is not extending the lock-down any further. They are thinking along the lines of Dr. Ratnadip...probably continuation of lock-down for high-risk groups and staggered movements for younger folks in non-essential industries/institutions.

I assume WFH directions will continue for folks who can avail it and staggered attendances for other non-essential industries i.e. make batches of employees and let them work alternate weeks or in non-overlapping shifts if possible (6AM - 2PM...first round of disinfection if possible and another shift of 3PM-11PM...second round of disinfection). In many IT companies where WFH is not available, the batches allotment are based on seating arrangements i.e. no two employees should be seated nearer than 6-10ft.

Also if possible, ask all employees to follow basic security measures like wearing latex/nitrile glove, mask and safety glasses to prevent people from inadvertently touching nose, mouth & eyes. Of course, challenge will be in procuring these items in the numbers required especially when the healthcare & other first responders folks may be facing PPE shortage.

Need Plan For "Staggered" Movement Of People After Lockdown: PM To States

New Delhi: The centre and states must have a common plan to ensure staggered movement of people after the national lockdown ends, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said today at a video-conference with Chief Ministers on coronavirus which, he remarked, was threatening our way of life.

"It is important to formulate a common exit strategy to ensure staggered re-emergence of the population once the lockdown ends," PM Modi emphasised, according to a statement giving details of the interaction. He asked states to send their suggestions for such an exit strategy.

The PM also said it "can't be business as usual" after the lockdown and certain safeguards would have to be taken, according to the statement. States must enforce the lockdown "seriously", he said, urging them to stick to social distancing.

States were asked to "work on war footing, identify virus hotspots and encircle them" to contain the infection. The focus for the next few weeks must be testing, tracing, isolation and quarantine, the Prime Minister told states.

The goal, he said, was to ensure minimum loss of life, and observed that the global situation was "far from satisfactory" with speculation of a second wave in some countries.
Last edited by Zynda on 02 Apr 2020 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Bart S
BRF Oldie

Postby Bart S » 02 Apr 2020 21:19

arshyam wrote:When Kanika Kapoor was symptomatic (and has since been tested +ve 5 consecutive times, poor woman)

They are just following the 'Test! Test! Test!' motto of that Tedros guy. :mrgreen:

Gyan
BRFite

Postby Gyan » 02 Apr 2020 21:42

Test test is not possible. Even South Korea, which is considered the best in testing less than 1% of its population.

Better to give Hydroxychloroquine or Chloroquine as prophylaxis for high risk personal, unless they have counter indications.

And Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycin +Zn+vitamin C to any patient on clinical diagnosis without waiting for test results at the earliest available opportunity. (Same principle is adopted for treatment of numerous infectious diseases)

Malayappan
BRFite

Postby Malayappan » 02 Apr 2020 21:43

Mollick.R wrote:Thus a very important request to Gurus here. If someone can write a pointwise and well articulated rebuttal piece on this subject (Irrelevance of Mass Testing in Indian Context) and get it published through dharmic media outlets like Swarajya or Opindia.

The first one in Swarajya written two weeks back..
No, India’s Covid-19 Cases Are Not Low Because We Are Testing Less
Since then testing scope has been broadened (as of 20th)

hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Postby hanumadu » 02 Apr 2020 21:52

They probably ate from the same plate. They stay closed together for days like pigs rolling in mud. They mostly likely drank from the same glass.

pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Postby pgbhat » 02 Apr 2020 21:53

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1245733232240402433
#Update: A resident doctor of AIIMS who was tested positive for COVID19 earlier today, his 9 months pregnant wife (a doctor posted at Emergency) has also been tested positive. She has been isolated and her delivery will take place at AIIMS.
:roll:

https://twitter.com/epigiri/status/1245728258760396801
In another state government, a senior bureaucrat was reportedly pressurizing the district magistrates to seek fewer #PPE’s. Why do the states treat #PPEs as luxury?
Request @narendramodi @NITIAayog @PMOIndia
to immediately address these issues. Let’s help HCWs before it’s late

suryag
Forum Moderator

Postby suryag » 02 Apr 2020 22:15

Apart from the unhygienic practices mentioned above, if you every have seen the process of wudhu(cleansing before praying) at a mosque, you will know how easy it is for corona ji to spread, check it out

Kati
BRFite

Postby Kati » 02 Apr 2020 22:25

brar_w wrote:
srai wrote:https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

1 million cases
50,000 deaths

5% death rate average

That is an inflated number based on testing. The denominator completely ignores those who were never tested or those who remained asymptomatic or were otherwise not hospitalized. It also takes the Chinese communist party data at face value. For all we know, China could have under-reported by an order of magnitude. The "global" data also does not fully capture what is happening in small pockets or nations where things have gotten out of control. A similar formula, when applied to Italy, would get a number closer to 11% while the same for the US is only 2.3% currently. Similarly, New York has a # that is 2X that of Florida for example. It is a function of how much you have tested, and also how concentrated your cases are.

Look at the worldometer figures, and focus on the "closed cases".
Two weeks ago, the recovery rate was nearly 90%.
Then a week ago it dropped to 85%.
Now it has come down to 80%.
This is a bit alarming.

nam
BRF Oldie

Postby nam » 02 Apr 2020 22:52

Karnataka has gone to Supreme court over the border closure b/w Mlore & Kasargoad.

As I mentioned previously, Karnataka will not easily open up the border.

sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Postby sudarshan » 02 Apr 2020 22:54

Kati wrote:Look at the worldometer figures, and focus on the "closed cases".
Two weeks ago, the recovery rate was nearly 90%.
Then a week ago it dropped to 85%.
Now it has come down to 80%.
This is a bit alarming.

Did you also notice that it started from 58% on Feb 2, before going to almost 95% around March 5? It has been dropping from March 5.

The initial data from China showed 58% recovery, 42% death rate of closed cases. Then as the China situation evolved, it went to 95% recovery, 5% death of closed cases. Then the rest of the world started having cases.

I think it's simply a case of deaths and recoveries happening on two different time scales. Deaths happen faster (week or two from symptoms), recoveries happen a lot slower (3 to 6 weeks). In fact, on worldometer, you can see the recovery rate starting to slow down its rate of fall, and showing signs of inflecting upwards.

hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Postby hanumadu » 02 Apr 2020 22:56

https://twitter.com/rajshekharTOI/status/1245740456807247872?s=20

Raj Shekhar Jha
@rajshekharTOI
CMO Ghaziabad complains to UP police that Tablighi Jamaat members in quarantine are walking around without trousers on, listening to vulgar songs, asking for bidi cigarette from nurse and staff and making obscene gestures towards nurses. Asks police to restrain them.

Other things they are doing include spitting every where and urinating outside the bath rooms.

Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”