North East & Eastern Himalayan: News & Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Re: North East & Eastern Himalayan: News & Discussion

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Thanks. I suppose I want, and I don't really apologise for it :) , freedom or independence movements to be 'clean' and as wholesome as possible. With a clearly spelled out goal, which itself must be inclusive, progressive and enlightened. A very visible, likeable and sympathetic leader like Aung San, the DL or Mandela, and a largely if not massively, peaceful character which lends itself to worldwide sympathy. And a striving for something more elevated than the entity against which one is struggling, in this case the idea of India. By this standard, the goings-on in the North East look awful, repellent, a travesty. What I'm probably missing is the specific history of these areas, the role of the Indian government in neglect, corruption and bureaucracy, the 'contested identities' as you aptly put it, and the legitimacy of very localised conciousness arising again partly from gross neglect and underdevelopment, and partly by fears of being swamped by the 'other'.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Re: Thread for whines.

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Prithwi, the NE thread is a work in progress with not many people on brf paying attention to the NE. At best, you can say that people may be keen on reading, but not too keen on writing about the NE. If you are from Dima Hasao, I would like to see your take on DHD(J), the fights between the Garlosa and Nunisa factions, who do you think the GoI prefers more :), the power struggle from non-Dimasas in the wake of renaming of the district, etc.
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Stan_Savljevic wrote:Prithwi, the NE thread is a work in progress with not many people on brf paying attention to the NE. At best, you can say that people may be keen on reading, but not too keen on writing about the NE. If you are from Dima Hasao, I would like to see your take on DHD(J), the fights between the Garlosa and Nunisa factions, who do you think the GoI prefers more :), the power struggle from non-Dimasas in the wake of renaming of the district, etc.
Stan, your knowledge about the Gorlosa & Nunisa factions makes me think you know a lot. You're from Dima Hasao too?

It's complex.

Let me start with Jewel Gorlasa {current C-n-C of Black Widow, also known as DHD(J)}. Jewel is under arrest, arrested from Bangalore, found living with Samir Ahmed (Samir was 2 years my school senior).

You might be aware of the Naga rebels and their demands. In their demand for a Greater Nagaland i.e. Nagalim, some portions of Assam too adds up, even portions of Dima Hasao.

So NSCM has a presence in N.C.Hills (Dima Hasao) even before DHD was formed. Jewel was rouge. NSCM used Jewel to collect extortion money from businessman, salaried personnel etc.

According to popular belief, Jewel did some hera-pheri with those extortion money, and the Nagas wanted his blood. He escaped to the Borail range of hills and created DNSF(Dimasa National Security Force) with some cadres, way back in 1995-96. Local politician at that time, Mr. Mimi-Mi, helped Jewel with money to organize and increase it's cadre strength.

After the mass surrender at the same time, Jewel and most of his associated escaped and formed DHD. It included Jewel Gorlosa as the C-n-C, Pranab Nunisa as the President and Dilip Nunisa as the Chairman of the outfit.

Then started a reign of terror, extortion, killing. Many good people died. Their main objective was to have an independent state for the Dimasas. At that time, they did have an Autonomous Council. Why the demand for state, why? (Will let you all know this sometime later and in an appropriate thread).

In 2004, Pranab Nunisa outcast-ed Jewel Gorlosa due to differences, mainly MONEY from DHD. Jewel went on to form DHD(J) a.k.a Black Widow after that. That led to killings between the 2 groups, plus many incidents of ethnic cleansing against other communities(started long back though), which well, increased, even though it was prevalent since the founding of the terrorist group.

DHD and DHD(J) are both scums of this modern world and if the GoI has it's will erected, it would take a month or 2 to wipe them off this face of the earth. DHD and DHD(J) has reached some sort of settlement, in which they are sharing revenue gathered through extortion and kidnappings, even while they are in a ceasefire agreement with the GoI. Every year, they camp in one of the famous Hotels in Haflong, and businessman come one by one and pay the agreed money. :rotfl:

GoI has no clue of what's happening there. And if they do know, they won't do nothing because it's a Congress led Government there. Plus the media is also not very active in bringing these things into the mainstream.

Non-Dimasa are trying their best to fight for their rights. There are sporadic incidents of bombings here and there, now and then. Incidents of burning villages and killing people. Mostly between Dimansas Vs Nagas, Kukis, Hmars, Hrangkhols etc.

Dima Hasao could have rivaled the most beautiful hill-stations of India. Right now. It's a mess. What troubles me is that even though the GoI knows everything and can control these mess and finish off these terrorist twats, they are doing nothing. Maybe our babus and netas are waiting for these scums to attain the popularity in tune with LeT and for China to claim the whole of NE.

Stan, this was just an introduction. To discuss points elaborately, that you wanted me to address would require a substantial amount of time and maybe a thread. This is a thread to whine, and so I did.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Prithwi, the NE dhaaga is at http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=1&t=2662
It is rotting btw and there is little focus on separate groups. In fact, I hardly post there myself. I used to post in the Internal Security Watch thread, but even that I am not so keen these days. I am more of a silent watcher these days on NE affairs.

Curious to see whether the people in NC Hills* consider GoI as biased towards the Nunisa faction. From my vantage point, I definitely see biases on the part of GoI: GoI favors the NSCN-IM more than NSCN-K primarily because the K faction's "homeland" is in Burma while the IM faction's homeland is primarily in India cut across many states as it is. GoI also favors talking to ULFA more than NDFB or DHD. Assam is a bigger concern than Manipur. Arunachal is most definitely ignored, etc. There are a 100 reasons and logical explanations for all these, but I am just curious to see what people think of GoI moves.

As regards what the GoI can do, from my understanding, the GoI can do zilch if the local administrative machinery is not keen on fighting the menace. And the local machinery actually gains by having a terrorism problem. Much of GoI moneyflow is going into a big sink of uselessness and the local politicians dont care because their nexus fetches them a big cut. Extortion from oil refineries, tea gardens, etc., is always accounted for as an inevitable bottomline one has to pay in doing business in the NE. The only thing that can shake up the place is Bangladeshization of the NE, not like that is not happening. Even the 30% level has nt shaken up people enough and from what I see in terms of response from Meghalaya, Tripura and Assam, people are getting used to power-sharing with the NE. Thats a pun there with grid connectivity also meant. Power grid diplomacy is the new in thing, very soon you will see Nepal-Bhutan-NE-Bangladesh-WB power grid much like the Asian highway project. Anyway...

My interest in DHD(J) primarily stemmed from it being a pain in the ass in gauge conversion on Silchar-Lumding and the East-West project in general. That interest has grown much past that and it is across the board, but thats another story.

* I kinda disagree with the renaming of the district and all the whines on how it is just a geographical entity etc. Dimasas in NC Hills were almost always a minority when compared with a non-Dimasa broad grouping, but the demand of DHD -- both factions -- is untenable in terms of precedent. The fact that the GoAssam just acceded blindly tells much about the state of affairs on what passes for chalta hai. I dont buy the Nagalim project either, because once you start looking at the sub-affinities amongst the Nagas and how different clans hate each other, you will hardly believe in the bs that gets sold by NSCN-IM as the true representative of all Nagas. In fact, Muivah and Swu might hate Khaplang and Khaplang may hate Khole Kitovi more than each one may hate aamchi mainlanders or even PC Haldar or GK Pillai for that matter. There is no reason to see the rise of ENPO if Nagalim or NSCN-IM was the be-all cure for all things Naga.
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Stan_Savljevic wrote:Prithwi, the NE dhaaga is at http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=1&t=2662
It is rotting btw and there is little focus on separate groups. In fact, I hardly post there myself. I used to post in the Internal Security Watch thread, but even that I am not so keen these days. I am more of a silent watcher these days on NE affairs.
Thank you Stan. I would try to dig up articles whenever I can and post it in that thread.

Also, I can post my answers in a single para. However, for the benefit of the posters here, I will try to explain as much as I can without digressing from the topic. Please let me know, when I go off-topic.
Stan_Savljevic wrote:Curious to see whether the people in NC Hills* consider GoI as biased towards the Nunisa faction. From my vantage point, I definitely see biases on the part of GoI: GoI favors the NSCN-IM more than NSCN-K primarily because the K faction's "homeland" is in Burma while the IM faction's homeland is primarily in India cut across many states as it is. GoI also favors talking to ULFA more than NDFB or DHD. Assam is a bigger concern than Manipur. Arunachal is most definitely ignored, etc. There are a 100 reasons and logical explanations for all these, but I am just curious to see what people think of GoI moves.
You are bang on. Just like the Bodo militancy was created by IB (according to popular rumor, no scholarly articles available), to marginalize the effects of ULFA in Bodo dominated areas, this might be one of the case for the split between Nunisa and Jewel, apart from money matters and their own personal differences. If I am not wrong, Nunisa went into a ceasefire with the GoI in 2004, prior to that counter-terrorism ops in N.C.Hills have reached it's zenith against the DHD. One and only way of saving their arses was to sign a ceasefire agreement with the GoI, and be their guest, while continuing re-grouping, extortion, killings under false flag etc.

People mostly are p!ssed off. Whoever is at the center, does not make any difference to them, for it is mostly terrorism, corruption which is affecting the residents. Zero to very few people openly speaking their minds, that too within closed doors. The fear factor. They'd be shot, if they did so openly. Nunisa was clever, as after ousting Jewel, he went into a cease-fire agreement with the GoI. From then onwards he basically rules N.C.Hills. So, I would not say GoI favors the Nunisa faction more. Normal people are tired of terrorism and want the Government to do something.

When we talk about the people of N.C.Hills, we have to take into consideration all the ethnic tribal group as well as non-tribals.
Now that my earlier post talked about the creation of those terrorist groups, in here I'd try and give a brief overview of the sentiments of the local populace.

There are many tribal groups in N.C.Hills - Dimasas ( Hindus, and form the majority, say 40% of the population).
Other ethnic tribal groups - Nagas (Zeme), Hmars, Baites, Khasis, Vaiphei, Hgrankhol, Kukis, Manipuris etc. 30% of the total population.
Among the non-tribals - Bengalis, Nepalis, Assamese, Marwaris, Sardars etc. Of these Bengalis forms the majority. The Bengalis are the early settlers amongst the non tribals, some families migrating from now Bangladesh as early as the 1900s.

The two main political parties are Congress and ASDC (Autonomous State Demand Committee). There is presence of BJP too, but they hardly win.

Most non-tribals and other ethnic tribals vote for Congress. When Congress comes into power, the cases of non-tribals and other ethnic tribals getting caught in communal clashes comes down. There is a sense of security, jobs are being offered. So Congress FTW! Basically the TINA factor. This is also one of the reasons why most NE states are ruled by the Congress. They would not crush, they would only make them limp, so that those terrorists can be used later.

Dimasas mainly favor ASDC, as they think this group is the only voice for Dimasas.

Last to last council elections saw ASDC using DHD(J) in winning the elections, and the subsequent killings of even Dimasas and the 1000 crore scam.
Stan_Savljevic wrote:As regards what the GoI can do, from my understanding, the GoI can do zilch if the local administrative machinery is not keen on fighting the menace. And the local machinery actually gains by having a terrorism problem. Much of GoI moneyflow is going into a big sink of uselessness and the local politicians dont care because their nexus fetches them a big cut. Extortion from oil refineries, tea gardens, etc., is always accounted for as an inevitable bottomline one has to pay in doing business in the NE. The only thing that can shake up the place is Bangladeshization of the NE, not like that is not happening. Even the 30% level has nt shaken up people enough and from what I see in terms of response from Meghalaya, Tripura and Assam, people are getting used to power-sharing with the NE. Thats a pun there with grid connectivity also meant. Power grid diplomacy is the new in thing, very soon you will see Nepal-Bhutan-NE-Bangladesh-WB power grid much like the Asian highway project. Anyway...

My interest in DHD(J) primarily stemmed from it being a pain in the ass in gauge conversion on Silchar-Lumding and the East-West project in general. That interest has grown much past that and it is across the board, but thats another story.
I am not a scholar, nor am I privy to matters of how things work. But for arguments sake, I am assuming - when killings start in a District, the Central HM talks with the State HM for a brief. The State HM talks with the CM, and in turn talk with the MLA of the affected district. The local MLA then asks for a report from the D.C. and other administrators, which would always be as the MLA pleases. So, when you say "the GoI can do zilch if the local administrative machinery is not keen on fighting the menace", you are quite right and I endorse this view. It's politics. Terrorism is not the only factor eating up NE, politics and corruption are way higher on that list.

Bangladeshization. Lol. It's true though. Would take it up in another post.

The Silchar-Lumding broad guage project, East-West project - have run into time delay and cost over-runs. All groups extort money from the contractors and companies involved there. Kidnappings and killings happened too. Now, while most groups who are in a cease-fire with the GoI would offer protection against other groups, they can hardly do anything in those treacherous terrains. DHD(J) were not in a cease-fire then and they acted as one would have thought. They also had it in their advantage as they were living in the Jungles and could strike at will.

Also, most Dimasas were against those projects as they were of the view that with development there would be migration from other parts of NE and India, and the Dimasa identity would be lost.
Stan_Savljevic wrote:* I kinda disagree with the renaming of the district and all the whines on how it is just a geographical entity etc. Dimasas in NC Hills were almost always a minority when compared with a non-Dimasa broad grouping, but the demand of DHD -- both factions -- is untenable in terms of precedent. The fact that the GoAssam just acceded blindly tells much about the state of affairs on what passes for chalta hai. I dont buy the Nagalim project either, because once you start looking at the sub-affinities amongst the Nagas and how different clans hate each other, you will hardly believe in the bs that gets sold by NSCN-IM as the true representative of all Nagas. In fact, Muivah and Swu might hate Khaplang and Khaplang may hate Khole Kitovi more than each one may hate aamchi mainlanders or even PC Haldar or GK Pillai for that matter. There is no reason to see the rise of ENPO if Nagalim or NSCN-IM was the be-all cure for all things Naga.
I agree.

Point to note - DHD was not formed with a cause, as is not the case with other terrorist groups. Jewel wanted his arse to be safe from the Nagas. After the formation of the group, the cause was established. :)
Cause - A Dimasa state for all the Dimasas. So that the corrupt can go on looting and filling their pockets. If they cannot maintain a District, how can they maintain a state? :mrgreen:

I have participated in a lot of forums, and for a person who is not from Assam, your knowledge is commendable.
Sanku wrote:I agree some issues in N-E are indeed in sorry state, but I didnt realize that things were so bad that the discussion could be had only in the whine thread.

:(( :(( :((
LMAO!

Requesting Mods to take this discussion to the NE thread mentioned by Stan.

Thank you!
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Thousands march in Maibang

HAFLONG, Oct 24 – In protest against the attacks on innocent people by the Hill Tiger Force (HTF), the All Dimasa Youth Organisation B Hagjer Club, Jalai Khurang Club, Green Hills Society, All Dimasa Women Forum and Dishru Cultural Club organised a peace rally at Maibang on October 19.

http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/det ... 11/state05
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Cycle rallies in Assam give fillip to Bodo statehood movement

The influential All Bodo Students' Union (ABSU) took out cycle rallies from the North bank of Brahmaputra River between Kokrajhar district to the west and Dhemaji district to the East to press for their demand for a separate state for the Bodo tribe in Assam.

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/cycle ... 111025.htm

ABSU rally in support of separate State

http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/det ... 2611/at094
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Govt should disarm surrendered militants

GUWAHATI, Oct 25 – The Assam Chamber of Commerce while strongly condemning the recent attacks on the business community here has demanded that the government ensure that the surrendered militants do not have any arms with them.

http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/det ... t2611/at06
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Prithwi, probing again. I can search, but would like your take. I have some clue on some questions, but not nuff to make me confident.

1) What is the position of the Dimasas in today's Assam? How do the Dimasas see future relations with the Ahoms, the Bodos, the Karbis, the Bengalis, etc.?
2) Is Barak Valley more or less an Islamized place? The AIUDF seems to be making bolder and bolder statements on they becoming the largest party in Assam. What gives them this confidence with ~30% (at the best case) vote share? Is it the fragmentation of vote share across other groups? Or is it the hopelessness of the corrupt machinery that is AGP and INC? Or is it the confidence that the NRC will never be updated? Or is it the belief that a Banga-assam is a closer reality than pax-Indica?
3) Where does BJP fit in this picture? A decade back, the BJP was the top dog in Barak Valley. No longer the case.
4) Is the demand for a separate state for Dimasas a bluff that can be called out? What is the minimum that will keep both the Nunisa and Garlosa factions "happy"? Already there are indications that Dilip Nunisa is agree-able to a much financial muscle enlarged autonomous council. With Jewel Garlosa in jail, he too will be coerced over time given that the NIA can run after him too.
5) Do aamchi people talk about PC Haldar or RS Pandey or Shambhu Singh, the primary interlocutors?
6) What next after DHD? Are we looking at splinterist sub-groupings that evolve again into a behemoth? Who are the contenders who will fill in? This I ask because that is a given and when, not if.
7) NDFB is an overt Christian front with cross-support from NSCN(IM) and NLFT. From what I read, DHD does nt seem like a religulous front, but more like a pan-Dimasa front. Do I read the tea leaves correct? Will the Dimasa front become religious nut-jobby (if not already) because it took the Bodos to polarize on religious lines no more than 10-15 years.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

HM P Chidambaram to visit Manipur:

Union home minister P Chidambaram will visit the three Naga-dominated districts of Senapati, Ukhrul and Tamenglong in Manipur next week. Straight after landing in Imphal on November 2, Chidambaram would move to Senapati district headquarters and inaugurate a mini secretariat there, a source said.

The minister's visit comes at a time when several Naga civil bodies, spearheaded by the United Naga Council, are demanding an alternative administrative arrangement for the Nagas in Manipur without linking the state government.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Timed for his visit?

Six injured in Manipur twin blasts

Six persons, including a 12-year old boy, were injured in twin bomb blasts at a market complex here, officials said today.

The first blast occurred at 9 pm last night near a bank, followed by the second explosion 10 minutes later near a shop in the market area.

The injured were rushed to nearby hospitals where their condition was stated to be out of danger, the officials said.

No individual or group has so far come forward to claim responsibility for the attack, they said.
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere: Interview with General JJ Singh, current Governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
It has an amazing variety of flora and fauna and is one the biodiversity hotspots of the planet; perhaps one of the few remaining. Sometimes for miles, there is no habitation, only forest covered mountains. There are places which have never been visited by men. It is one of the few 'as God made it' places left on the planet.

Since 2008, development has been the focus of the state government. With an immense development package and unflinching support of central government, Arunachal is going through a historic phase.
On infra development:
Since then, one can say that no part of the world is being developed at this pace. To give you two examples: there will be a four-way lane from Itanagar to Guwahati (in Assam) as well as a Trans-Arunachal highway of 1,600 kms, connecting the western part of the state to the easternmost part, running through and connecting eleven district headquarters en-route.

Today to go from one valley to another, one has to come down to Assam and go up the next valley. Once the trans-Arunachal highway is completed, we need not come down the feeder roads to Assam.

The new trans-Arunachal road will thus benefit the people of the state. The work on this project is being started from various points, simultaneously.

We have already connected the 16 districts headquarters and now we are going forward to various areas and settlements not connected as yet.
One of the user comments:
Arunachalis are happy as they are. We should measure GDP in happiness like in Bhutan rather than in money. In the name of development don't destroy the state. Education, free health, good communication links should be develop but without disturbing the natural beauty of the state.

Massive dams are being sanctioned. One such dam of about 3000 MW in Upper Dibang valley is being sanctioned. That district is the least densely populated district of India (approx 9500 sqkm with only 8000 inhabitants predominantly of Idu-Mishimis). If such huge projects are undertaken it will require huge labour force (>20,000) which no doubt will come from Bihar and will settle there with their families and will change the geo-political scenario of that primarily virgin land. The Idu-mishimi should make a deal with the govt.for a package i.e giving free health insurance for life to all Idu-Mishimis, to provide each and every inhabitant of Upper Dibang Valley with financial aid to create orange cultivation in the mountain plains. If the govt.spends INR 5 Lakh per inhabitant the total cost of the package will be about 400 crores less than 3 % of the project cost.
ticky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ticky »

Counter- economic blockade by nagas in Manipur has been lifted.
[url]http://e-pao.net/GP.asp?src=1..291111.nov11[url]
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

^^^ Has been lifted only till the PM's visit lasts. Not more, one has to wait and see what will happen after that.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Three northeast states could get own high courts soon:

All the eight northeastern states, excluding Sikkim, come under the jurisdiction of the Gauhati high court situated in Assam. It has benches in several northeastern states. Sikkim has a separate high court. "All necessary infrastructure for the establishment of separate high courts is ready in three northeastern states -- Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya," a Tripura law department official told IANS. The central government needs to amend the North-Eastern Areas (Reorganisation) Act, 1971, to set up separate high courts in the three states.

For quick disposal of pending cases, the Gauhati high court introduced in May video conferencing systems with its benches spread across six northeastern states. The high court, which was constituted April 5, 1948, initially had its sittings in Meghalaya's capital Shillong but shifted to Gauhati Aug 14, 1948. It came to be known as the High Court of Assam and Nagaland on the constitution of the state of Nagaland Dec 1, 1963. On the re-organisation of the northeastern region by the North-Eastern Area (Re-organisation) Act, 1971, a common high court was established for five northeastern states -- Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura - and the two erstwhile union territories (now full-fledged states) - Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh - and named as the Gauhati high court.
ticky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ticky »

Stan_Savljevic wrote:^^^ Has been lifted only till the PM's visit lasts. Not more, one has to wait and see what will happen after that.
Nope will stay lifted at least until the end of christmas or thereabout. The blockaders needs the supplies and income (legit & otherwise) from the trucks passing through to fund their x-mas celebrations. Its a pattern here. Expect it to be re-imposed after restocking of supplies expended in the x-mas and new year season, if at all.

In other new, police shakedown and heightened security measures already in place for the past few days for PM's visit. Oh and there was a bomb blast a short while ago not very far from my place. apparently the thing went off while the bomber was on his way to a mela ground.
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Apologies for the very late reply, Stan.
Stan_Savljevic wrote:Prithwi, probing again. I can search, but would like your take. I have some clue on some questions, but not nuff to make me confident.

1) What is the position of the Dimasas in today's Assam? How do the Dimasas see future relations with the Ahoms, the Bodos, the Karbis, the Bengalis, etc.?
If we take into account all the Dimasas, then well, they like everybody else want to live in peace and harmony, and that feeling has been slowly creeping in since DHD & DHD(J) started turning towards Dimasas too, en masse'. The purpose, you know. Dima Hasao has a very fringe population of Ahoms, Bodos & Karbis. Amongst tribals, it is mostly comprised of Nagas, Hrankhols, Hmars, Kukis, Baiteis etc. Amongst non tribals, there is a large population of Bengalis, few Assamese, Nepalis, Biharis etc.

To be blunt, Bengalis are hated the most. Bengalis usedto occupy higher Government positions because they are educated. But things are not the same now. Bengalis retiring from Govt. jobs move away to places like Silchar and Guwahati, or even Kolkata. The only Bengali population still there in Dima Hasao are the business community and people who still are into Govt. jobs. Basically the TINA factor. Compulsion. Bengalis from other parts of Assam seldom move in or take up a job transfer in Dima Hasao. Having said that, I would not generalize that everybody hate Bengalis. It's just not true.
Stan_Savljevic wrote:2) Is Barak Valley more or less an Islamized place? The AIUDF seems to be making bolder and bolder statements on they becoming the largest party in Assam. What gives them this confidence with ~30% (at the best case) vote share? Is it the fragmentation of vote share across other groups? Or is it the hopelessness of the corrupt machinery that is AGP and INC? Or is it the confidence that the NRC will never be updated? Or is it the belief that a Banga-assam is a closer reality than pax-Indica?
Yep. The population of illegal Bangladeshi migrants are alarming, add to it that they breed like rats. Hindus are concentrated in towns, whereas you go out of town and all you would see are those illegals.

Whatever you have assumed about AIUDF are true. One more point to add is the rising population of those illegals, which I have mentioned earlier. The more people you have, the more votes you have. Plus, AIUDF is also slowly eating up the Muslim vote bank of the INC, being seen gradually as the only savior of the Muslims.

As of now a Bangladeshi-Assam is not feasible, but not entirely impossible in the near future. Let me recall an incident that happened with my Uncle in a place called Sonai. A Muslim guy walks upto him and during a conversation retorts "Mr. XX, that was Jinnah Saab's mistake(partition), or else the whole of NE would have been part of Bangladesh." So, you can see the level of radicalization these guys bring from Bangladesh. Arseholes!
Stan_Savljevic wrote:3) Where does BJP fit in this picture? A decade back, the BJP was the top dog in Barak Valley. No longer the case.
BJP fits in the almost empty parks where they held election rallies every 5 years, nothing more. And BJP was never a top dog, some MLAs yes, but never a force. They are the same as the Congress in Assam and in the Centre. Congress has a tight grip on the political scenario, because of it's secular image. BJP have yet to wake up, and then maybe smell the coffee.

In this issue, I would also like to bring in the Dima Hasao. How do Congress win even after being so corrupt? The Bengalis and the other non-tribals vote mostly for Congress because of the TINA factor. You vote for a regional party and for the next 5 years you live in fear & chaos.
Stan_Savljevic wrote:4) Is the demand for a separate state for Dimasas a bluff that can be called out? What is the minimum that will keep both the Nunisa and Garlosa factions "happy"? Already there are indications that Dilip Nunisa is agree-able to a much financial muscle enlarged autonomous council. With Jewel Garlosa in jail, he too will be coerced over time given that the NIA can run after him too.
First of all, why there has to be a State based on a language/tribe/because some Tom, D!ck & Harry wants? Let there be new states, but for the sake of better administration. And yes, the bluff can be called out. But to do that, you need the views of all the tribes there, and not of someone sitting on South Block making ridiculous policies. How many people of Barak Valley or Dima Hasao are consulted before policy formulations? The CM, an MP, maybe!

First the demand for an Autonomous District was raised. GoI accepted that. Now they want a separate state. Next, propped by the Chinese, there would be demands for Independence. And if that were to happen, it will happen all across the NE, by all the terrorist groups, in a co-ordinated move.

In a different defence forum I once made the assumption that without Chinese help, there is no way NE militants would be able to survive. I also said, those terrorist camps in the NE can also be used as listening posts to gather intel about the IA's movements by the Chinese, during a war with India. A few days later, AT published what I had assumed, just a few days back.

The only way to deal with terrorists is to treat them like terrorists. Gorlosa and Nunisa fell off over money. Nothing can keep both of them happy. If we are to consider the overall majority of the people, the least GoI can do is list Dima Hasao as a disturbed area. Invoke AFSPA and then give the IA, Paramilitary forces a free hand and a specific time frame to get rid of this cancer. The moral & backbone of both the factions are at their lowest ebb. Hit them now, and hit them hard.
Stan_Savljevic wrote:5) Do aamchi people talk about PC Haldar or RS Pandey or Shambhu Singh, the primary interlocutors?
Frankly, I have heard about them for the first time, even though I had heard about interlocutors sometime back. It was not interesting enough for me to keep track. So you can assume what the general populace would know and then in turn talk about.
Stan_Savljevic wrote:6) What next after DHD? Are we looking at splinterist sub-groupings that evolve again into a behemoth? Who are the contenders who will fill in? This I ask because that is a given and when, not if.
DHD and the DHD(J) are 2 of the bigger groups in Dima Hasao (NSCM is the biggest). Their activities of extortion, killings have led many small groups come into being. There are small groups within the Kukis, Hmars, Hrangkhols who were formed to neutralize the atrocities of the DHD & DHD(J) on their people. I do not see any other Dimasa front after the DHDs, but cannot rule it away either.

However the Kukis, Hmars etc might get together and form a unified command, which then would be big (they are helped by the NSCM). They already have a cause and they are p!$$ed off. The cause - renaming of North Cachar Hills as Dima Hasao. The younger community have already started working together, holding rallies against the renaming of the district and against granting of statehood by the GoI.
Stan_Savljevic wrote:7) NDFB is an overt Christian front with cross-support from NSCN(IM) and NLFT. From what I read, DHD does nt seem like a religulous front, but more like a pan-Dimasa front. Do I read the tea leaves correct? Will the Dimasa front become religious nut-jobby (if not already) because it took the Bodos to polarize on religious lines no more than 10-15 years.
You are correct. However, I doubt the Dimasas would do something like that. Right now it's a battle for land and power, but who knows?
Last edited by Prithwi on 14 Dec 2011 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Karbi tribal militant outfit gives up armed struggle

All the 568 cadres of the United Peoples Democratic Solidarity, a Karbi tribal militant group, laid down arms at a function held at Diphu in Karbi Anglong district in the presence of Assam's Director General of Police Shankar Baruah and Lieutenant General Shakti Gurung on Wednesday morning.

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/karbi ... 111214.htm
neel t
BRFite -Trainee

Post by neel t »

Blast inside PWD office in Imphal, 6 injured - Hindustan Times http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-new ... 82248.aspx
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Anti-talk ULFA launches recruitment drive

GUWAHATI, Dec 14 – The hardline faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) has launched a major drive to increase the strength of the outfit with a recruitment drive. However, the identity of the new acting chairman of the outfit, Dr Abhijit Barman remains a mystery as the police and security forces are yet to ascertain the identity of the person.

http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/det ... 11/state05
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

A little old piece of news.

CBI Names 2 Politicians in NC Hills Chargesheet

Guwahati, Nov 24 : The CBI on Wednesday filed chargesheets relating to financial scams during 2008-09 in three departments of the NC Hills Autonomous Council at the court of the special judge here.

A CBI spokesman said the entire quantum of financial irregularity in one single year in the NC Hills Autonomous Council was Rs 52 crore. "The NIA, while investigating the NC Hills Autonomous Council case for siphoning of development funds to militants, found allegations of white collar crimes too and, subsequently, the state government handed us five cases in 2010 and another four in 2011. We have been given the mandate for an inquiry into the scam committed during 2008-09 only in these nine departments," the spokesman said.

The NC Hills scam was reported to be worth Rs 1,000 crore, spanning over a period of 10 years from 2001, and there were allegations of involvement of politicians of the state. The CBI chargesheet has named just two politicians, both former heads of the council, Depolal Hojai and Mohet Hojai. The spokesman said, "No other politicians were questioned as we had to go by the strength of the FIRs lodged by the police."

The CBI chargesheets submitted on Wednesday are on investigations into siphoning of funds worth Rs 1.74 crore in the PWD department of the council; Rs 1.98 crore in the public health engineering department and Rs 25.75 lakh in the agriculture department.

Nine persons, including Depolal Hojai and four engineers, have been named as accused in the scam in the PWD while five others, including Mohet Hojai, have been named in the scam in the PHE and another two in the agriculture department.

"We are investigating the remaining six cases and the chargesheets in these will be submitted soon," the spokesman said.

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had earlier completed investigation in the militants-politician-bureaucrats nexus in diversion of public funds from the council and found fraudulent withdrawals of Rs 16 crore, which was siphoned off to Dima Halam Daogah (Jewel) from two departments between 2008 and 2009. The diverted funds, meant for development in the district, were used for buying arms and ammunition by the outfit.

The NIA investigation found that the funds siphoned were "channelized through hawala operators at Guwahati and Kolkata to reach armed smugglers, who smuggled in arms and ammunitions and supplied it to DHD(J) to commit Acts of terror and violence and to wage war against State with a view to overawe its legitimate authority."

The NIA in its charge-sheet in 2010 named 16 persons as accused , including Mohet Hojai, former deputy director of social welfare department in the council, Md Redaul Hussain Khan, DHD (J) chief Jewel Garlosa alias Mihir Barman alias Debojit Singha Mizo gun runners Vanlalchhana alias Vantea alias Joseph Mezo, Malsawmkimi and DHD (J) c-in-c Niranjan Hojai besides many contractors entered into criminal conspiracy during November 2008 at Haflong to divert the funds.

http://www.sinlung.com/2011/11/cbi-name ... hills.html
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Plan to evolve strategy to tackle Maoists in NE

GUWAHATI, Dec 15 – The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) is concerned with the attempts by the Maoist rebel groups to establish foothold in Assam and other parts of the North East region and strategies to deal with the problem will be chalked out in a meeting of the heads of the police forces of the North East States, convened by the Intelligence Bureau (IB) in the city on December 19 and 20.

AssamTribune
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

State Cong, AIUDF heading for face-off
Spl correspondent

NEW DELHI, Dec 17 – Assam Congress Party’s minority leaders are up in arms over All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF), bid to make an entry into the UPA II Government by cozying up with AICC leaders.
The Congress Party in Assam and AIUDF are heading for a face off, with a section of the minority leadership including MLAs cautioning AICC against including Badruddin Ajmal into the central ministry.

“We are aghast to see that there is an invisible plan to placate the AIUDF with an aim to win back Muslim votes. This would have two disastrous consequences. The move would drive away Hindu votes back to the fold of the AGP and BJP combine, besides angering the Muslim Congress members, who had the support of at least 45 per cent of the populace. They have suffered a lot of humiliation and insult at the hand of AIUDF supporters,” the petition signed by 13 senior Muslim leaders said.

A delegation led by general secretary of APCC, Wazed Ali Choudhury on Friday met political adviser to Congress president, Ahmed Patel and are now trying to meet Congress president, Sonia Gandhi.

Urging the party high command to adopt a clean and a clear policy vis-a-vis AIUDF, the Minority leaders were of the opinion that it would not be possible to win back Muslim voters by wooing AIUDF.

Pleading with the party high command not to succumb to the wily move of some of our party leaders, the petition said that any favourable gestures towards the AIUDF would help the minority party to consolidate their vote bank and would cause erosion in Congress minority vote bank.

The Minority leaders also reminded the party high command that gross injustice perpetuated on the minorities in the name of ‘D’ voters and updating of NRC has alienated the Muslims. As a result, AIUDF, a party baying for Congress blood, got upper hand and Muslims out of anger and frustration voted for AIUDF. Even then, Congress got 45 per cent votes in minority segments, they pointed out.

The Minority leaders were alarmed by reports of Ajmal’s growing influence in AICC. An AICC leader admitting the development, said that Ajmal, who has considerable pocket of influence in UP has dangled the bait of campaigning for the Congress in the ensuing Assembly polls. This has alarmed Chief Minister, Tarun Gogoi's camp and, therefore, a pressure is being built up on AICC not to fall for Ajmal's design.

AssamTribune
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Talks with DHD(N) not satisfactory: Centre
R Dutta Choudhury

GUWAHATI, Dec 17 – The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) is not satisfied with the progress of talks with militant outfit Dima Halam Daogah (Dilip Nunisa faction) and the Government may go ahead with signing of an agreement with the Jewel Garlosa faction of the DHD without waiting for the Nunisa faction.
Talking to The Assam Tribune after another round of talks with the DHD(N) this evening, the Joint Secretary (North East) of the MHA, Sambhu Singh admitted that the talks with the militant outfit have not been progressing satisfactorily.

Singh said that today's meeting decided to extend the period of the cease-fire agreement by another six months, but the Government would think twice before extending the cease-fire term any more. He pointed out that talks with the DHD(N) have been going on for eight years and "talks cannot be a never – ending process. The Government will have to think twice before extending the cease-fire agreement any further and we have already informed the leaders of the outfit about the Government's displeasure about the progress of talks."

The MHA official revealed that the DHD(N) has been claiming villages outside of Dima Hasao district , which is not acceptable to the Government. He also said that the leaders of the militant outfit have been maintaining "double standards". When they take part in the tripartite meetings, they agree to give up the demand for creation of a separate state, but when they talk outside, they raise the demand for creation of a separate state of Dimaraji. Such acts on the part of the leaders of the outfit are not conducive for building up confidence for healthy talks, Singh added.

Singh said that on the other hand, talks with the DHD(J) are progressing well and the leaders of the outfit are showing a positive attitude. He said that the Government of India has almost finalised an agreement with the DHD(J) and a formal agreement is likely to be signed after the same is approved by the State Cabinet.

The Joint Secretary (MHA) said that the Government wanted to sign the same agreement with United People's Democratic Solidarity (UPDS) and KLNLF together but it signed an agreement with the UPDS after the KLNLF refused to give up the demand for a separate state. Similarly, the Government would be forced to sign an agreement with the DHD(J) without waiting for DHD(N), Singh added.

AssamTribune
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Two Garo militants killed in Meghalaya

SHILLONG, Dec 18 (IANS): Two rebels of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were killed in a gunfight in Meghalaya's East Garo Hills Sunday, police said.
The battle broke out in Darimgre forests near Williamnagar, the district headquarters, at 7 a.m. when the rebels fired at the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) commandos who were tracking them down, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Rajiv Mehta told IANS.

One the rebel killed was identified as A.K.J. Momin, while the identity of other slain rebel is yet to be ascertained, he said.

Two other rebels managed to escape while police arrested Krinson N. Marak who is accused of harbouring the GNLA rebels.

Two grenades, one Italian-made pistol and incriminating documents were recovered from the site, police said.

In another incident, a GNLA rebel identified as Tizo Marak was nabbed Saturday from Seven Kilo area near Shallang, a coal-rich area in West Khasi Hills district.

The GNLA, one of the five Garo rebel groups, fighting for a separate state of Garoland, has unleashed a reign of terror in the three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in western Meghalaya.

The tribal rebel outfit has forged an operational alliance with the Assam-based rebel groups - the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB).

AssamTribune
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

‘Naga peace talks nearing settlement’

Correspondent
DIMAPUR, Dec 18 – NSCN-IM general secretary Th Muivah has indicated that the dialogue with the Government of India (GoI) on the decades-old protracted Indo-Naga issue is on the verge of reaching a meeting point for an honourable settlement acceptable to all.
“We have almost come to a meeting point…you know, their (GoI) position is clear to us, ours is also equally clear to them,” Muivah said during a five-minute interaction with the media here at Dimapur Airport upon his arrival here on Saturday.

However, the NSCN-IM general secretary sought to make it clear that the ball remains in the court of the Government of India. “They have to take the initiative and we are waiting for that,” Muivah stated, providing an indicator that both parties have finally come to a certain level of agreement for settlement of the Naga issue.

Earlier this week, on December 13, Muivah and NSCN-IM chairman Isak Chishi Swu had met Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and interlocutor RS Pandey in New Delhi to discuss the ongoing peace process. After the meeting, Muivah had told reporters that “things have become much clearer now.”

During the month of July, the NSCN-IM and the GoI had made a similar joint announcement stating that they have narrowed down differences and are trying to come to a settlement in the shortest time possible.

When queried on media reports of the GoI offering maximum autonomy to Nagaland under provisions of the Indian Constitution or the so called ‘Supra State status’ which has created quite a furore in neighbouring States, the NSCN-IM general secretary denied the existence of such a proposal while maintaining that the “report is only what the press people are saying” and not from the Centre.

“Not from Government of India. Why, because we know. They (GoI) are also trying their best despite their difficulties, and even then they are trying to work through. We (NSCN-IM) are also trying on our side,” he responded.

On being asked to comment on the United Naga Council demand for an alternative arrangement outside the Government of Manipur, Muivah merely termed it as a ‘side issue.’

“Our issue is our rights and integration. All the Nagas must live together,” he said.

When asked if there was any particular reason for him coming to Dimapur, he replied, “Naga laga homeland ase, Naga manu ase, moi kile nahibo?” (This is Naga people’s homeland; I am a Naga, so why shouldn’t I come?).

NSCN-IM chairman Isak Chishi Swu had reached Dimapur earlier on December 15. The leader, who is reported to have been ailing for some time, was seen being wheeled out in a wheelchair on arrival at Dimapur Airport.

AssamTribune
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Prithwi, thanks a lot for your replies. You will have some follow-up soon :).

As regards NSCN-IM, its been the same story from 1997, we are this close and we are that close. Close, my ass. Its never close unless the GoI concedes to the joint administration plea of ANSAM/NSCN-IM/Naga Hoho in Manipur. But that will mean de facto recognition of Nagalim, an anathema not only in Imphal but also Itanagar and Dispur. Someone has to give way, and it cant be the GoI cos the fire it will have to put down is far more sinister if it accedes. Plus, all of Congress' last bastions in the NE will fall in one swift blow. These bastions are already crumbling in Arunachal and Manipur. And the Jarbom Gamlin drama showed what the resurgent Nyishi front could do, the Nyishis have smelt blood and there is no going back from this point. Only a divided opposition is holding it to power in Assam anyday.

If the NSCN-IM gives way, then their idee fixee is gone for a tailspin. Plus, Thuingaleng Muivah's village is inside Manipur and he will lose his face and all that he has fought for. The solution is simple. After 15 years of non-combat, NSCN-IM cant go right back to urban warfare at the drop of a hat. And if it does, its gonna be burned much more quickly than before. This is what happens during long lulls, exactly what happened with the naxals in AP and a reason why Mao did nt drop his war-drive despite massive losses. Nor should one expect the maoists to drop their People's War and sue for peace anyday -- they have readymade theories for the resurgence of the bourgeoise in any case. There are no face-savers here as money has been offered before and cant win NSCN-IM over. ENPO is a pressure point and that is the only pressure point that will work in Nagaland. RS Pandey hit a brilliant idea with ENPO. And if I were there, I will keep the parleying go for another 10 years to ensure that Muivah, Swu, Khaplang and the newly-cultivated splinterist Kitovi all get no younger. The strength of GoI is that if a PC Haldar or a Shambhu Singh or a RS Pandey go, someone else will be there to hold the can, not so with NSCN-IM. They can keep crying about AFSPA and extorting, but the NSCN-IM has signed its death warrant by just coming to talks. Its a question of when, not if any more. When the Vajpayee government pulled these people from Amsterdam and London and all those IAS-waalas were complaining of precedent issues in conceding to the Naga viewpoint of unique history and other nonsense, there must have been some logic after all.

Meanwhile in Manipur, they are going to have more blockades, more violent and crippling ones, and Manipur needs an alternative to NH-39 and NH-53. The onus is on GoI to bulldoze many other routes and not let Manipur fend for itself. The apathy at letting these various chota-mota groups fight and pick a winner is gone. Inaction is no akshun and it never was, it is just one of those loud canards that sound-byte so-so to explain idiocy. If the GoI desires to bring in peace, in some sense, it is a one month affair in many places. The consequences will be there to haunt everyone for another 10 years or so, but that is the quid pro quo here. As regards the Meiteis, they are going to be forced to sign a truce with the Mizos and fight the Nagas inside the state. That is the only solution in a three-way toss-up. Two have to gang-up on the third, that solution is not only common-sensical, but firmly backed up by theory. And the Mizo-Naga hatred (despite unifying chord of Christianity) will trump over Meitei-Mizo ambivalence. If it does nt, we are in for some interesting and absolutely unpredictable times.

PS: Interesting would be if the babus cook up some form of joint suzerainty to square the circle in Manipur. But this precedent will open a pandora's box in Meghalaya and Mizoram, not to mention Assam. If I were in Manipur's boat, I will keep rejecting it all and trying to find funds to build a route that is not hostage to the ANSAM oiseaules. For that, I will lobby with GoI first. Heck, I am Okram Ibobi Singh of the Congress. But life is a bit more complicated if you have just 2 MPs to donate to the gaddi-holders in Indraprastha.
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

NE police chiefs meet over coordination against insurgents

A two-day conference of state police chiefs of the northeastern region convened by the Intelligence Bureau has gone underway in Guwahati with an objective to have a coordinated strategy to tackle cross-border and inter-state movement of insurgents, Maoists threat and check fake currency and arms proliferation through borders in the region.

FullRead@Rediff
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Senior most ULFA leader dies of cardiac arrest

The political adviser of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Assam and a key leader of the pro-talks faction, Bishnujyoti Buragohain alias Bhimakanta Buragohain died of a cardiac arrest at his residence at Ahom Gaon (Dhola) in Tinsukia district of Eastern Assam on Monday evening.

More@RediffNews
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Armed Forces Act term extended in State
R Dutta Choudhury

GUWAHATI, Dec 19 – The Government of India extended the period of Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act in Assam for another year in November despite strong reservations by a Central intelligence agency and improvement of the overall law and order situation.
Highly placed sources in the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) told The Assam Tribune that the AFSPA was imposed in Assam in 1990 and the tenure of the Act has been extended by a year every year. But this time, with the improvement of the situation, there were discussions on whether the term of the Act should be extended again, but after lots of deliberations, it was extended again for another year and the whole of Assam has again been declared as a disturbed area.

Sources said that the MHA sought the views of the State Government, Defence Ministry and the Intelligence Bureau (IB) on the issue of extension of the term of the AFSPA in Assam. However, the Government, despite strong reservations by the intelligence agency, decided to extend the Act after the State Government and the Defence Ministry wanted that the term of the Act should be extended.

Sources revealed that the level of violence in Assam has come down by at least 50 percent this year after a number of militant outfits came forward for solution of the problems through dialogues by signing ceasefire agreements with the Government. This was the main reason for the intelligence agency’s reservation on extension of the Act in Assam for another year and the agency is of the view that the police should now play the lead role in dealing with militants with assistance of the Central paramilitary forces.

Sources pointed out that according to the intelligence agency, there is no need to declare the entire Assam as disturbed area at present as the consequences of the same can be dangerous. Sources pointed out that as per the provisions of the AFSPA, the normal laws of the country are not applicable and there have been allegations of excesses by the Army personnel while launching counter insurgency operations. Giving an example, MHA sources said that according to Section 174 of the CRPC, all cases of unnatural deaths including killings in encounters should be investigated properly, but the same is not done in case of killings by the armed forces in a disturbed area.

The Central intelligence agency also expressed the view that the State Government should increase the strength of the police force to deal with the situation and pointed out that the Assam Police force dealt with worse situations in the past, particularly during the Assam Agitation.

Meanwhile, commenting on the overall law and order situation, sources said that there has been marked improvement of the situation and the level of violence has come down. However, ethnic tensions in some parts of the North East escalated and the potential threat by the Maoists is a matter of concern. The efforts by the hardline faction of the ULFA to regain lost ground is also a matter of concern.

Sources said that extortions and kidnappings should be dealt with strongly by the police and security forces.

AssamTribune
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

ULFA cadres turning into Maoists
Staff reporter

GUWAHATI, Dec 19 – Members of the banned United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) have now turned into Maoist rebels and are trying to gain foothold in the State.
This was divulged by Inspector General of Assam Police (Special Branch) Khagen Sarma on the sidelines of the 21st Conference of Director General of Police (DGs)/IGs and Heads of the Central Police Organisation of the North East where the issue of emergence of Maoist activities topped the agenda.

“Although in nascent stage, the Maoist penetration is more on the Assam-Meghalaya and Assam-Nagaland border. However, the situation is not out of control and we are equipped to tackle the situation,” Sarma said, adding, “The strength of the group would be around 100.”

Sarma further stated that some of the Maoist cadres have undergone training under NSCN(IM), besides in places like Manipur and Jharkhand.

Earlier, Director General of Assam Police Sankar Barua, addressing the inaugural session of the DG meet, said that an improved coordination between various agencies, including Army and CRPF, have helped in effective policing in the last couple of years.

He also told the gathering, which included all the DGs of the north-eastern States, GOC of Army 4 Corps, and senior officials of Central agencies, besides other top police officials of the region, that the Assam Police is chalking out ways and means to tackle any kind of criminal or insurgent activities.

Chief Secretary NK Das pointed out the need to fill up the vacant posts in the Assam Police, which has emerged as a constraint.

“Assam is on the path of peace and prosperity and the tempo should be maintained through better and effective coordination between various security and intelligence agencies,” he said.

AssamTribune
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Pro-talk ULFA ideologue ‘Mama’ dead
Bureau

DIBRUGARH, Dec 19 – Bhimkanta Buragohain, more popular as ‘Mama’, passed away at his home in Dholla Ahom Gaon at 5 pm today. He was was 87.
One of the founder members of ULFA, ‘Mama’ was arrested in Bhutan during the joint Army operation in 2003 in that country. He was subsequently released on bail.

He took an active part in the ongoing ULFA-Government peace talks.

AT
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/ ... ed-manipur

Talk about lack of leadership and governance at the central level... Sad that no national media house has made this a focus.
Cry, Beloved Manipur
With yet another imminent economic blockade, the alienation of Manipur looks complete

BY Rahul Pandita EMAIL AUTHOR(S)

After offering no resistance to the harsh 121-day economic blockade of Manipur, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh finally woke up recently to pay a visit to the state along with the UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi. As he addressed a public meeting, Singh had nothing concrete to offer the Manipuri people except a faint hope that “we will not see a repeat of such actions in the future”. When the premier of a country leaves it all to hope, there is not much hope, really. And that is precisely how things are turning out to be.

This year, it was the Kuki tribe that blocked the two highways (NH 39 and 53) to Manipur that serve as the state’s lifelines. The blockade that began on 1 August to press for the creation of a separate district (Sadar Hills) lasted for 92 days, until a memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed with the state government. Meanwhile, the United Naga Council—an umbrella organisation of Nagas—had already begun a counter blockade demanding the non-inclusion of areas dominated by Nagas in the proposed new district. It was only lifted on 29 October after an assurance from the Union Home Minister P Chidambaram that no district shall be carved out without the consent of Nagas. Between this, the Manipuri people living in the Imphal Valley had to go through a harrowing experience. There was an absolute shortage of essential commodities with petrol being sold in the black market for as much as Rs 200 a litre and the price of an LPG cylinder reaching Rs 2,000. Hospitals even faced a shortage of medicine and life-saving supplies like oxygen cylinders. But for 121 days, not as much as a word of mention came from the Prime Minister’s mouth. During this time, he, of course, assured the country that a private airline might be bailed out. He was also among the first to call on his minister Sharad Pawar after he was slapped by a youth on 23 November. And, later, on 3 December, when he finally took out time to visit Manipur, he spoke about maintaining the territorial integrity of Manipur and “strengthening the roots of democracy”.

For the people of Manipur, these are mere words—mere words because police sources have told Open that there is credible information that Nagas will soon resume blocking the two highways leading to Manipur. “How can we let anyone take a whole state hostage?” asks former police officer Prakash Singh. Singh has filed a petition in the Supreme Court asking it to direct the Central and state governments to ‘take appropriate action to clear the blockade and ensure free movement of men and material’ through the highways. The petition also seeks an assurance from the Government that ‘there is no recurrence of such blockades in future’ and if there is one, it will be cleared immediately. ‘There is a growing sense of alienation among the people of Manipur over the current situation. There is a strong feeling that while the state government is ineffective, the Government of India is not bothered about the plight of Manipuris,’ the petition states. The Supreme Court has sent notices to the Centre and state, and asked them to respond.

But there is no denying that what Prakash Singh’s petition notes is an absolute truth. Manipuris have all but given up. Last year as well, there was a major economic blockade that lasted 68 days. In fact, paralysis of governance in Manipur has almost turned it into some sort of hangnail state.

Addressing Manipuris along with Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi had said: “Manipur may be far away from Delhi, but the Congress under the prime ministership of Manmohan Singh is sensitive to all your concerns.” With the shadow of yet another blockade looming large, such words have never sounded hollower.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Pranay wrote: Talk about lack of leadership and governance at the central level...
Pranay-saar, this is the issue.

There are nine administrative districts in Manipur: i) Bishnupur, ii) Churachandpur, iii) Chandel (formerly known as Tengnoupal), iv) Imphal East, v) Imphal West, vi) Senapati, vii) Tamenglong, viii) Thoubal and ix) Ukhrul. Of these the four districts of Bishnupur, Imphal West, Imphal East and Thoubal form the Valley region while the rest form the Hilly area. Here is a picture of the district map for you: http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/manipur ... ct-map.gif

The area of Manipur is 22,327 sq km, of which 20,736 sq km is the surrounding hills (with ~41% of the population) and the remaining area is the Imphal Valley or plateau (with ~59% of the population). The Hilly area is the predominant home of the tribal people with Ukhrul, Tamenglong, Churachandpur, and Chandel having more than 90 per cent of the district’s population as ST. Senapati district has recorded 78.5 per cent of its population as ST. These five districts together hold 92.4 per cent of the state’s total ST population. The rest of the four districts (Imphal West, Imphal East, Bishnupur, Thoubal) have negligible percentage of ST population.

In other words, the Meiteis primarily reside in these four districts whereas the Nagas (or Naga-related tribal affinities) and Kukis (Chin/Mizo tribal affinities) dominate the other Hilly districts. Kukis/Chin/Mizos also have cross-affinity with their brethren across the Burmese border, and the Naga-tribes have affinity with Nagaland. These affinities have existed long before independent India came into the picture in 1947, so you cant ask these people to erase these identities, that is the solution the uber-pontificators of brf will peddle, not happening on the ground :).

Now, here is the road map: http://www.indiamapstore.com/maps/manip ... ad-map.gif
I think that 35 is actually NH 39. If you look at the road map, all the three highways NH-39, NH-53, NH-150 are dominatable by this group or that. Even if noone puts a blockade, the road condition is so shitty and landslides kill you (here are some pictures:
http://nareshkhoisnam.leipung.com/files ... r-Road.jpg
http://negreens.com/2010/10/10/call-for ... f-manipur/
http://lh6.ggpht.com/-7HGMvOaUp64/TmBpK ... 25255D.jpg)
Looks like straight out of the world's wildest truck drives. Some ages back Singha had posted some videos in the Pir Panjal range and in the Kathmandu Valley like this :eek:. Even Army units and Assam Rifles are going to struggle to maintain some form of transportation in these roads, now you know what kinda COIN ops they fight. Truly mind-numbing for us ac-happy-brooke-bond-chai-sipping armchair-jernails-with-a-giga-bum-up-our-arse-oiseaules, and I cant be charitable any more.

So, basically nothing flows to Imphal Valley unless some form of truce is reached between the Meiteis and the Mizos or the Meiteis and the Nagas. The former is easier, the latter is harder. But if the Meiteis want access they should work harder at keeping the Tamu-Moreh road also open into Burma, for that babajaan (GoI) has to bless the sprucing up and force the Burmese generals to turn the other way and not act paranoidal, which is another game altogether. The Kaladan project is so hopeless that I have lost any sense of hope that Sittwe can be used any time soon. I believe Sittwe is shit-way literally. Plus, there are all kindsa problems that we dont even know for sure what the Burmans/Burmese-dominated-army can do/cant do. When the Burmese junta talks (which is rarely), they promise a mountain of shit and when they deliver, its like ant-droppings. Some people say that the junta has no control over Sagaing division and the Burmese periphery including the areas that border Yunnan, some say they have control if they want but you gotta give them a price that is unimaginable (meaning nukes) because the Burmese fear the chinis themselves and fear getting overrun. We just delivered a truce with the Billaharis, 90% of that hard job was done by us, yet noone in the So. Block speaks up. So hopefully, if they let Kaladan go through and throw us a Paresh Borua on the side, that will be good news. I thought Jibon Moran was that big news, but no sightings from NIA. There are no sightings of Champion Sangma either, but thats a game that will see no light of the day till some water sharing agreement on the Teesta is signed (nice effing try!). So quid pro quo, you started hearing noises on Tipaimukh and the PMO went loose on the "commitment" made in Dhaka. Its so mind-numbingly complicated a chess-game on who holds what pawns, anyway. But I will just warn you to not under-estimate babajaan. Babajaan acts like a court-jester and a loser at times and forces smart-alec brfites to act as if they know it all :), but is a smart-punk with a calculative mind sharper than my worst-est biting words. If babajaan wants something, babajaan gets it. The problem is babajaan believes in karma and not throwing his weight around. Maha-Oiseaule.

Back to Manipur, I dont think the GoI is any wiser than any aamchi ponchi tom dick and harry in this matter. If there is a solution that can be bulldozed, I doubt that the MHA, the PMO or the South Block will be sitting on it. The problem is contested territories, contested identities and you gotta force people to arrive at a mutually beneficially solution without ruffling too many feathers. Hardly the India you and I know of, no?!

Sad that no national media house has made this a focus.
True, that is a big issue. But the national media hardly ever focussed on the Northeast, so this is basically same-old-same-old. Not much to write about this on any day. The problem is much of middle-class/urban India is unaware of the problems of the periphery/rural/hinterland India. What2do, we are like this onlee. Or should I say, we are Indic pindic dharmic maakis onlee :).
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

Stan_Savljevic - First of all, thank you for the time you took for the detailed and informative feedback. Much appreciated. :)

When such is the extent of lack of governance at the state and more importantly at the central level, it is entirely understandable for the populace of these regions to feel alienated from the mainstream, which feeds upon itself in a vicious cycle with every new incident. I wonder, who really is accountable for this mass misery?

Being born in Bombay but having lived out of India most of my life (last visited India in 1994) - i am familiar and saddened with the thriving politics of regionalism and the history of the Shiv Sena and it's later mutant manifestations that gets used by all the political parties for their own narrow thuggish agendas.

Regarding identity - My kids, born and brought up here in the States have asked me this since they were little, they're in college now; question being - Who am I?? American? Indian? The region of India where my forefathers came from??

It's a combination of how the outside world sees you and how you see yourself. In this scenario, if the outside world makes you feel one of them and welcomes you, one feel part of the mainstream, otherwise alienation sets in and if it is compounded by lack of official will and action to maintain fairness and equality - the alienation gets hardwired.

What i see missing in this whole episode are decisive actions by a central national authority as in,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock_Nine
Several segregationist councils threatened to hold protests at Central High and physically block the black students from entering the school. Governor Orval Faubus deployed the Arkansas National Guard to support the segregationists on September 4, 1957. The sight of a line of soldiers blocking nine black students from attending high school made national headlines and polarized the nation. Regarding the accompanying crowd, one of the nine black students, Elizabeth Eckford, recalled
They moved closer and closer... Somebody started yelling... I tried to see a friendly face somewhere in the crowd—someone who maybe could help. I looked into the face of an old woman and it seemed a kind face, but when I looked at her again, she spat on me.[4]
On September 9, Little Rock School District issued a statement condemning the governor's deployment of soldiers to the high school and called for a citywide prayer service on September 12. Even President Dwight Eisenhower attempted to de-escalate the situation and summoned Governor Faubus to meet him. The President warned the governor not to defy the Supreme Court's ruling.[5]
[edit]Armed escort

Woodrow Nilson Mann, the Mayor of Little Rock, asked President Eisenhower to send federal troops to enforce integration and protect the nine students. On September 24, the President ordered the 101st Airborne Division of the United States Army to Little Rock and federalized the entire 10,000 member Arkansas National Guard, taking it out of the hands of Governor Orval Faubus.
[edit]A Tense Year

By the end of September 1957, the nine were admitted to Little Rock Central High under the protection of the U.S. Army (and later the Arkansas National Guard), but they were still subjected to a year of physical and verbal abuse (being spat on and called names) by many of the white students. Melba Pattillo had acid thrown into her eyes [6] and also recalled in her book, Warriors Don't Cry, an incident in which a group of white girls trapped her in a stall in the girls' washroom and attempted to burn her alive by dropping pieces of flaming paper on her from above. Another one of the students, Minnijean Brown, was verbally confronted and abused.
The economic blockade of Manipur is particularly galling due to the total lack of political will at the central level in ensuing that all segments of India's population remain safe and secure with their individual identities, no matter where they live in the country.

I see this as a lack of leadership, a lack of clarity in tackling long festering issues with statesmanship. A political culture that perpetuates the old colonial divide and rule policy, rather then doing the due diligence in nation building - in every sense of the word.

India has come a long way down in the caliber of its' leadership since independence.

Not everything is dark though - There has been peace and reconciliation in Mizoram. The challenge for India is to expand on this template for peace and progress for its' people.

Looking forward to more of your informative posts :)
Prithwi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prithwi »

Pranay,

Digging articles might get you an insight, but an overall picture is what is needed.

Mizoram peaceful? In what sense?

Mizoram, first of all is a dry state. Drugs users are aplenty. I remember going to a cultural night organised by IA there in Vairangte. As usual, I got some booze from the IA quota (I got a friends uncle over there at that point in time). In the cultural hall, there were Mizo girls, asking me for a quarter of booze in exchange for sex. I politely said no.

Women from Mizoram come to Silchar, stay in Lodges on Sonai Road, and sleep with anyone fetching them a beer and a good time. Sounds European? But this is true. And yeah, trust me, for I am - been there, done that. Also Mizoram right now is the in the crosshairs for illegal arms shipment to other NE states.

Mizoram today is the center of illegal arms shipment to other NE states from countries like China, Burma et.al.

Terrorism in Mizoram went only one way down, aerial carpet bombing. Are we ready to use that now for the rest of the NE states?

I guess not.

P.S.: Regarding other points, I will update you when I have some time to kill.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

Prithwi wrote:Mizoram peaceful? In what sense?
Peaceful, when compared to the time between 28 February 1966 & 1985 under the leadership of the MNF under Laldenga - when insurgency was in full swing - ably assisted by China and Pakistan.