Indo-Israel: News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rahulm
BRFite

Re: Indo-Israel: News and Discussion

Post by rahulm »

Netanyahu seems beside himself. Like a boy in a candy shop.

Looks like he assembled his entire senior cabinet in the reception committee. Genuine smiles and goodwill all around.

No matter the battered, tattered and vilified image of AI, it's always proud to see it present India's flag and the Devnagiri inscription to the camera.

I reached out to some of my Israeli friends in Israel and they say there's a lot of talk about Modi's visit.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

la.khan wrote:My only quibble with NaMo's visit to Israel is that it should have happened within the 1st year of assuming office :(( As a consolation, better late than never!
Diplomacy is like wine. Timing has to be right.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Chandragupta wrote:
JE Menon wrote: Modi has finished his speech, also very warm and referred to Entebbe and Netanyahu's brother Yonatan who was killed there. Referred to Netanyahu as Bibi (which is his nickname).
When did he say this? I didn't see this in his speech.
In the first speech, at the airport, made shortly after arrival. I watched it live.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Israel has the technology and India has the scale/market. A huge market, where they have build massive trust, right from GoI to Mango Indians.

Feel Israel sees an opportunity to be the next Japan using scalability that India provides.

Bibi managed to get the first PM visit of a potential future power, which no previous Israel PM had the privilege. And that too Modi, who could leave his name in history books as one of the greatest.

It will be Bibi's legacy.

No wonder he is leaving no stones turned.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

This is the first true act of unabashed engagement in the modern era by two of the oldest non-proselytizing faith systems in the world, through their elected leaders. In my opinion, the importance of this visit cannot be overstated - in terms of its future implications. India is in many many ways much more advantaged than Israel is, though the latter is both extremely powerful and extremely influential. You only realise it's vulnerabilities as a state when you actually visit the country. It is absolutely tiny. And there is a population of about 8 million hanging on there, by the skin of their teeth literally. When you hear about the awesome military capability, etc... you might say "what the hell is this guy going on about".

Like I said, a visit there will sort that out. When you are in Tel Aviv, after a couple of days shunting about the country, and then sit on the beach and recall that just across the sea is Egypt and Turkey and look back and note that Iran and Saudi Arabia are on the other side, you will get a sense of the ground reality. These are its neighbours and they (despite their own differences) will be more than happy to see the Jewish people disappear from the planet - and of course, not much farther afield is our own deranged neighbour Pakistan, whose mouthy mullahs have threatened Israel on several occasions.

If even three of these countries got together and one day decided screw it, let's go for broke, and threw everything they had at Israel - it's all over. There just isn't enough land. Once the country is weakened, and disoriented, it won't be too difficult for a few hundred thousand ISIS types to literally drive in and start their horror. Once you realise this, and imagine we Hindus were in that situation, in that small territory with nowhere literally to go to, you'll feel their paranoia. And this is not the first time they are going through this. Go into Yad Vashem and I challenge anyone with half a heart to come out without tears in your eyes. I guarantee you your hairs will stand on end, room after room of horror described, bits and pieces of families preserved... a terrible sight to behold, a trauma frozen in time and mind. And you can well imagine, then, what the people of kingdom after kingdom in India had to go through for centuries, albeit on a less industrial scale.

If there is any people that can truly understand Israel's proclamation of "Never Again" in reference to their genocide, it is us - the Hindus of India, and non-Hindus among us who have recognised and internalised this reality.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Israel Media on PM Modi in Israel on historic 3-day visit | Modi in Israel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV514rlnu10
Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

Does Pak recognize Israel as a nation?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Holy $%#^#....the entire cabinet was brought along and was very heart warming to see each being introduced with such passion.

If there was warmth in ties to be seen, has to be here
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

The 'BiBi' reference is in this video
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

From few israeli and other foreign news coverage, it seems that to them, the main difference is that NM is not visiting Ramallah. Even they feel the rapport between NM and BN. Al jeera has a worrying heart about pakis, asking how pakis will take the visit etc.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Pathik wrote:Does Pak recognize Israel as a nation?
No, they do not. Most of the Muslims countries and even Muslims as a people do not. Just observe Owais etc in India and see how they are weeping. The classic reaction is that of the CPI/CPM fellows who said that the entire land of Israel is actually inhabited by Arabs and not by Jews and Jews were invaders or something like that to the effect.

The veto on this relationship enjoyed by Mulla and committee lobby of India fortunately not effective on NM as he does not care for them. They made them irrelevant by coming openly against him and BJP. No effort to have a working relationship is made from their end so that their lobbying can affect the national policy.
SajeevJino
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SajeevJino »

Our known Yusuf jee gets a chance to speak on i24, here is the discussion link

http://www.i24news.tv/en/tv/replay/news/x5si32k
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^Excellent. Brief but jam packed with info by Yusuf!!!
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Is there a "Explain Like I am 5" about all this hype about Modi's Israel visit ? What will this visit change exactly ?
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

It's just from having covert to overt relationship. Back home, NM's hindutva image has shot up.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Jamwal

1. This visit explicitly makes public what in the past was private. Israel is one of our most important strategic allies. And we are not ashamed, embarrassed or locally/internationally constrained in saying it. The last part is a very important symbolism, which I don't need to explain to you the significance of.

2. The visit was designed to show the personal nature of the relationship between the two countries. Just as Bibi and Modi are friends, the undeclared narrative goes, the people of Israel and the people of India are friends. This is demonstrated yearly with the influx of Jews into India for touristic purposes, even the euphemistically called "long-term tourism" (where so many of their post-military kids come and don't want to go back, to the extent that half-way "India detox" houses have to be set up in India to reorient them back). All this happens in a generally positive atmosphere.

3. The defence relationship's maturity is clearly indicated by the frequent references to purchases of products, technology co-operation in military and space sectors, in a way that is abundantly suggestive. It is no surprise I think that the unarmed Guardians announcement of recent weeks is now supplemented by the announcement of armed Herons.

4. It is an acknowledgement, in public, of a civilisational affinity that exists but has been undeclared with such clarity for so long because of aforementioned embarrassment, local/international considerations, etc. But it does mean something when both leaders address each other in the opposite's language, when the Israeli leader says the Indian one is advising him on yoga, and how to take it slow from the start; where the Indian leader visits Yad Vashem and covers his hair in respect with an Indian cap (Garwhali?) - don't forget the subtle symbolism of this either; and speaks about the Jewish experience. The undertone of a commonality of fate, especially in the last millennia, will only be ignored by the ignorant.

What will this relationship change exactly? The overall "nature" of the relationship. More public, more engagement, more depth and more personal.
Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

Yagnasri wrote:
Pathik wrote:Does Pak recognize Israel as a nation?
No, they do not. Most of the Muslims countries and even Muslims as a people do not. Just observe Owais etc in India and see how they are weeping. The classic reaction is that of the CPI/CPM fellows who said that the entire land of Israel is actually inhabited by Arabs and not by Jews and Jews were invaders or something like that to the effect.

The veto on this relationship enjoyed by Mulla and committee lobby of India fortunately not effective on NM as he does not care for them. They made them irrelevant by coming openly against him and BJP. No effort to have a working relationship is made from their end so that their lobbying can affect the national policy.
Yes no muslim country recognises Israel, but I thought given the jewish lobby in America and arms trade Pakistan would be in a catch 22 situation to openly oppose Israel's existence
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^Egypt, Jordan and Turkey do (if my memory serves), though the Turks may have recalled their ambassador...or even cut diplomatic ties. I remember some fracas over Israeli SF action on a Turkish ship.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Beautiful Pictures from Israel. Someday I hope to visit Israel. They have been running ads on Indian TV.
I am glad that NM is the first PM to visit Israel instead of wooden faced MMS or Arab @ss licker congressi PM's.
NM's timing is better than Sachin Tendulkar + Viru + VVS put together.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Ramanujan symbolises talent of people of India: Netanyahu - PTI
Renowned Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan symbolises the talent of people of India, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said, emphasising that the two countries believe in the partnership of talent.

Expressing his admiration for Ramanujan, Netanyahu said he was one of the greatest mathematicians of all times.

"We have a great admiration for people of India. I told you about my late uncle professor, who was a mathematician at the Israel Institute of Technology. He told me many times about his admiration for the great Indian mathematician Ramanujan," Netanyahu said in a statement along with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

"He was perhaps the greatest mathematician in many centuries. And this symbolises the talent of people of India, as we know we have talent in Israel. We believe in this partnership of talent," he added.

Ramanujan, who died at an early age of 32, has contributed to mathematical analysis, including infinite series and continued fractions.

The Israeli prime minister said he and Modi both seek a better future for the people of the two countries.
"It requires a lot of work, it won't happen overnight but prime minister Modi and I want this to happen," he said.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Bibi N is in need of friends right now.He's had spats with other western leaders over sluggish movement on the Palestinian Q,domestic criticism from the (retd.) intel community and an alleged scam in acuquiring German U-boats. Therefore,Mr.Modi's visit gives him a great opportunity to show the world that he has powerful independent friends like India,a growing global eco and nuclear mil power after the P-5.

It also demonstrates the maturity in the relationship as there is little,if any,criticism being raised in Arab/Muslim countries or by Muslims at home,barring a microscopic few. Arms has been the cornerstone of the relationship thus far.Both sides now want it to fully embrace the great width and scope of the heritage of the two ancient nations,whose people have always been friends from ancient times.It was good of Mr.Modi to mention eminent Indian Jews like Lt.Gen.Jacob .V.Adm.Samson,etc.but he forgot his daughter,the famous danseuse Leela Samson.
“By virtue of being a dancer, I am a Hindu in philosophy. Even my family has acknowledged that. It does not matter what people have to say about me,” said former Censor Board chairperson Leela Samson, in what was seen as a veiled reply to critics questioning her ‘religious biases’.
The Bharatnatyam exponent went on to explain that she was exposed to diverse faiths from her childhood as her father was a Jew and mother a Catholic. Religion, however, was never an issue for her.
The relationship will now expand in diverse directions and Israel will find in India true and trusted friend,a friendship that began 2500 years ago,after the Assyrians conquered what is now Israel and was the cause for the Jewish diaspora . Most of India's Jews have found new homes in Israel and maintaining the remaining Jewish synagogues,heritage is v.difficult. Hopefully we will now see a surge in visits by the Indian Jewish diaspora who could help retain India's Jewish heritage.Some of my relatives went to southern France a millennia ago and then their descendants came to India during the European arrival.My Great-Grandmother was of Armenian Jewish ancestry .Sadly few details of her family are known.They supposedly came to India to flee the Ottoman genocide of Armenians.There are hardly any Armenians in India today,a few hundred in Cal I think.Pity after centuries of living happily in India.Where did they disappear to I wonder? My neighbours Cathos now,traced their (Jewish) ancestry back to Germany centuries ago,two brothers who came to Travancore. WE live today in a global diaspora ,the Indian one being perhaps the largest of all!
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

JE Menon wrote:Jamwal

What will this relationship change exactly? The overall "nature" of the relationship. More public, more engagement, more depth and more personal.
Thanks
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Philip wrote:Bibi N is in need of friends right now.He's had spats with other western leaders over sluggish movement on the Palestinian Q,domestic criticism from the (retd.) intel community and an alleged scam in acuquiring German U-boats. Therefore,Mr.Modi's visit gives him a great opportunity to show the world that he has powerful independent friends like India,a growing global eco and nuclear mil power after the P-5.

It also demonstrates the maturity in the relationship as there is little,if any,criticism being raised in Arab/Muslim countries or by Muslims at home,barring a microscopic few. Arms has been the cornerstone of the relationship thus far.Both sides now want it to fully embrace the great width and scope of the heritage of the two ancient nations,whose people have always been friends from ancient times.It was good of Mr.Modi to mention eminent Indian Jews like Lt.Gen.Jacob .V.Adm.Samson,etc.but he forgot his daughter,the famous danseuse Leela Samson.
“By virtue of being a dancer, I am a Hindu in philosophy. Even my family has acknowledged that. It does not matter what people have to say about me,” said former Censor Board chairperson Leela Samson, in what was seen as a veiled reply to critics questioning her ‘religious biases’.
The Bharatnatyam exponent went on to explain that she was exposed to diverse faiths from her childhood as her father was a Jew and mother a Catholic. Religion, however, was never an issue for her.
The relationship will now expand in diverse directions and Israel will find in India true and trusted friend,a friendship that began 2500 years ago,after the Assyrians conquered what is now Israel and was the cause for the Jewish diaspora . Most of India's Jews have found new homes in Israel and maintaining the remaining Jewish synagogues,heritage is v.difficult. Hopefully we will now see a surge in visits by the Indian Jewish diaspora who could help retain India's Jewish heritage.Some of my relatives went to southern France a millennia ago and then their descendants came to India during the European arrival.My Great-Grandmother was of Armenian Jewish ancestry .Sadly few details of her family are known.They supposedly came to India to flee the Ottoman genocide of Armenians.There are hardly any Armenians in India today,a few hundred in Cal I think.Pity after centuries of living happily in India.Where did they disappear to I wonder? My neighbours Cathos now,traced their (Jewish) ancestry back to Germany centuries ago,two brothers who came to Travancore. WE live today in a global diaspora ,the Indian one being perhaps the largest of all!
leela samson is anything but a votary of the "hindu biased philosophy" despite all her pretensions.

her disproportionate influence and crass meddling in the deliberate dismantling the long established dance movement in chennai bears testimony to her evil intentions which was made possible by her very specific appointment in an institution that she was ill qualified to head but was eminiently qualified to damage and set a distinct ej course.

she is a small time congi hanger on and a committed sonia domestic and household accolyte and all that such a stance portrays.

do not be fooled as she is now hoping to cash in on the jewish thingee and be let out of the dog house. Leela Samson, not being mentioned by Modi is very deliberate and the message has been quietly delivered.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Leela Samson's dance politics and political bent is one thing,her ability as a dancer another. One must make a distinction between the two and objectively criticise her for her meddlesome politics in the artistic movement (legitimate as you've done) and critically as a dancer.
The PM chose the most prominent Indian Jews to mention,no problem with that,it's his perogative,

One A.Roy comes to mind.She is one of my pet aversions-for her monumental ego and hypocrisy,esp. her duplicitous political activities,scorn for her motherland is condemnable-a veritable international poseur .Her literary work/s,no 2. is out,have been critically acclaimed.I found her literary writings tiresome,but many like it,I accept that. Her political diatribes,wholly unacceptable.
Last edited by Philip on 05 Jul 2017 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Philip, has Nissim Ezekiel passed away, do you know? I was wondering why his name wasn't mentioned...
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Yes he passed away some time ago,I think about 12 years since. Yes,pity his name wasn't mentioned,but no worry,Indian Jews of eminence will find their place in the sun hereafter if they haven't already!
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Quite right... I am sure that at the event of tonight with the diaspora there will be some interesting figures, IAF Gen. Herzl Bodinger (former head of Israeli AF), for instance, is likely to be there... Though I guess he too is aging somewhat now.
Marten
BRF Oldie
Location: Engaging Communists, Uber-Socialists, Maoists, and other pro-poverty groups in fruitful dialog.

Post by Marten »

There are quite a few well known Indian Jews. Nissim was my mom's prof and later, a family acquaintance while growing up. Never realized what a genius he was, until he had passed. He succumbed to Alzheimers at an advanced age.

My childhood friends have all moved to Israel but their parents refuse to move. They are but two generations away from forgetting India so we need to make an effort to keep the channels open and the relationship alive and kicking. No other country has similar interests or is as closely aligned to the concept of survival from the forces of evil.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

India should construct an Indian cultural center and a museum regarding Jews in India in a prominent location in Tel Aviv and give conference spaces there for various artistic and intellectual ventures free of cost. Several Indo-Israel co-operation seminars can also be arranged there and the descendants of Indian Jewish community should be actively engaged in those ventures to keep the ties alive into the future.
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

PM Shri Narendra Modi's videos
PIB India
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _UZpwc3JzX

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generally all videos are found here.
https://www.youtube.com/user/pibindia
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

it might be Pakistan. The press might be having military gun on there head.

But still their press is bold and sometimes more info than our DDM.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1343197/modi- ... -indian-pm

--I Dint know this-------

Israeli analysts have noted that Modi is not scheduled to travel to Ramallah to meet Palestinian leaders during his three-day stay, as is common for visiting dignitaries.

Modi did, however, meet Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas in New Delhi in May.

---------------
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Philip wrote:by Muslims at home,barring a microscopic few.
Watch TV saar. Plenty of Mullahs crying hoarse. Muslims spreading venom on social media as well. Some have become disheartened so keeping quite but Indian Muslims are more arabs than arabs in hating Jews and Israel.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

wondering what happened to avram sprinzl...many years since he dropped off..
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

JE Menon wrote:This is the first true act of unabashed engagement in the modern era by two of the oldest non-proselytizing faith systems in the world, through their elected leaders. In my opinion, the importance of this visit cannot be overstated - in terms of its future implications. India is in many many ways much more advantaged than Israel is, though the latter is both extremely powerful and extremely influential. You only realise it's vulnerabilities as a state when you actually visit the country. It is absolutely tiny. And there is a population of about 8 million hanging on there, by the skin of their teeth literally. When you hear about the awesome military capability, etc... you might say "what the hell is this guy going on about".

Like I said, a visit there will sort that out. When you are in Tel Aviv, after a couple of days shunting about the country, and then sit on the beach and recall that just across the sea is Egypt and Turkey and look back and note that Iran and Saudi Arabia are on the other side, you will get a sense of the ground reality. These are its neighbours and they (despite their own differences) will be more than happy to see the Jewish people disappear from the planet - and of course, not much farther afield is our own deranged neighbour Pakistan, whose mouthy mullahs have threatened Israel on several occasions.

If even three of these countries got together and one day decided screw it, let's go for broke, and threw everything they had at Israel - it's all over. There just isn't enough land. Once the country is weakened, and disoriented, it won't be too difficult for a few hundred thousand ISIS types to literally drive in and start their horror. Once you realise this, and imagine we Hindus were in that situation, in that small territory with nowhere literally to go to, you'll feel their paranoia. And this is not the first time they are going through this. Go into Yad Vashem and I challenge anyone with half a heart to come out without tears in your eyes. I guarantee you your hairs will stand on end, room after room of horror described, bits and pieces of families preserved... a terrible sight to behold, a trauma frozen in time and mind. And you can well imagine, then, what the people of kingdom after kingdom in India had to go through for centuries, albeit on a less industrial scale.

If there is any people that can truly understand Israel's proclamation of "Never Again" in reference to their genocide, it is us - the Hindus of India, and non-Hindus among us who have recognised and internalised this reality.

Maybe its time that we also had memorials depicting the horrors of the muslim invaders.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

ramana wrote:
la.khan wrote:My only quibble with NaMo's visit to Israel is that it should have happened within the 1st year of assuming office :(( As a consolation, better late than never!
Diplomacy is like wine. Timing has to be right.
Still baffles me why India voted against Israel in 2014 at UN...

Modi housed under Trump type security in Israel http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 449063.cms
He has been kept in the most secure suite in the entire planet. "His suite is secured against bomb attacks, chemical attacks, everything," said Sheldon Ritz to TOI. Ritz is the director of operations in King David Hotel and has been in charge of the entire PM's visit. "If the entire hotel is bombed, PM's suite will be untouched, will come down in a pod."
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

VKumar, way past time. At least we should commemorate properly those who fought them off where possible and till the end where not...
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Philip wrote:It was good of Mr.Modi to mention eminent Indian Jews like Lt.Gen.Jacob .V.Adm.Samson,etc.but he forgot his daughter,the famous danseuse Leela Samson.
Slimey crusaderss Leela Samson. Rajiv Malhotra exposed her in "Breaking India".

Why she replaced opening movements of Bharat Natyam from Hindu Trinity 'Bramha Vishnu Mahesh' to christian Trinity of God-holyghost-jesus?

Why she had stopped the old tradition of Ganesh Vandana as head of Bharatnatyam?

Do you know she propogates that St. Thomas created Bharatnatyam?

Why as head of film censor board she didn't give certificate to a movie exposing corrupt Christian clergy mired in rapes and paedophilia?

Why she threatened the students who were going to perform in Sri Sri Ravishankar's program with expulsions? Great tolerance!

The truth is digesting local traditions as there own is an old practice of genocidal christian crusade eg south American natives.

No wonder all UK-Vatican-US-Nato opposed the insertion of "genocide of civilization & culture". As that's ​the favourite pastime of these chrianity propogating nations.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Philip wrote:Leela Samson's dance politics and political bent is one thing,her ability as a dancer another. One must make a distinction between the two and objectively criticise her for her meddlesome politics in the artistic movement (legitimate as you've done) and critically as a dancer.
The PM chose the most prominent Indian Jews to mention,no problem with that,it's his perogative,
My email:
manishsharma_690@yahoo.com

Let me know a place where "Breaking India" by Rajiv Malhotra can be delivered from Amazon.

I want to gift it to you, so you can read for yourself that Leela Samson in true catholic tradition of her mother's side is busy genociding Hindu way of life. Just like sanjay Dutt is on his mom's side of religion, same as mahesh Bhatt is on side of his muslim mother's side of religion.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Yossi Cohen, person right to BN, director of the Mossad. Am sure he and pigeon would have spoken few times before.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »