India-Australia News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Re: India-Australia News and Discussion

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Yet another Indian student attacked in Australia
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holn ... 150981.htm
The case which counts as the fourteenth such attack on Indians in Australia in less than a month, is now being investigated by the police.
paulm
BRFite -Trainee

Post by paulm »

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holn ... 150981.htm
Bajaj said his attackers were in their 20s, one was white, while the other appeared to be of African descent.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

The situation in Australia is not as bad as I thought. My sister and her in laws lives in Melbourne since quite a few years and believes that Australia is a wonderfully tolerant nation. I had plenty of chat on the issue. It is believed that Indian press has blown it overboard which is sometimes good thing while sometimes it is bad. To highlight the issue is good but to paint the whole nation with same colour is bad thing. It is possible that nearly 2000 students will go back home and thousands more will not come from all over the world in future if the issue is not resolved
rachel
BRFite

Post by rachel »

Ashish, you are wrong .. it is a great thing to paint all of Australia as a racist h& hole, because of course they do the same to India when one missionary is killed in India.
Tit for tat, no turning of the cheek, please.

I have another slant on this though. I do think INDIA deserves this to some extent. We allow movies like SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE to be shot in INDIA, a movie which basically sh^tes all over INDIA and HINDUS.

Then there is DEEPA MEHTA with her 'Water'. The script is quite clear.. shoot a movie which cr%ps all over India, and the white man will give that movie awards. And the brown skinned slaves who die for white man's praise will wag his tail happily, eager to be petted by his white master.

ANSWER this question honestly, all BR folks.. put egos aside and just answer honestly:

DOES SUCH A NATION DESERVE ANY RESPECT?

Why would the Aussies NOT bash people from a nation like that? If I were a white Aussie, I would certainly feel a lot of contempt for India if I saw Slumdog.

One SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE gets more attention and eliminates the accomplishments of all lunar probes and IT-Vity, Silicon Valley, and Tata Nanos put together.

Average white person on street knows nothing and cares nothing of lunar probes or IT-Vity high-faluting stuff.

Average person sees Slumdog and draws his conclusions from that.
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

You are giving too much of importance to Slumdog Millionnaire and its impact... It is a popcorn movie... People have forgotten about it.. The economic impact of rising India is impossible to forget...
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Excerpt of the Australia related bits from Foreign Secretary Shiv Shankar Menon’s media interaction:
Question: Sir, despite repeated assurances from the Australian authorities, and even India has said that we have spoken to the authorities, there has been another attack today taking the total number of victims to twelve. I would like to know your reaction to that.

Foreign Secretary: I think it is a terrible thing that the attacks are continuing. Frankly, we would hope that everybody who is in a position to do something about it, primarily the Australian Government, will succeed in their efforts to try and stop this.
Question: A small follow-up question, Mr. Menon, on what you said about Australia. When we had trouble in Iraq, we stopped our workers from going to Iraq. There was an official ban that the Government of India imposed. If these attacks continue on our students in Australia, would the Government consider imposing a ban on sending students to Australia?

Foreign Secretary: I think that is a matter of judgment. If you look at the size of the population and the number of people involved, I think you have to take a call depending on whether or not the level of threat and danger to our people is so how that it justifies a ban. There have been other cases where we have chosen just to issue an advisory, say. There are a whole series of steps that we could take depending on our judgment of how grave the danger is. In the case of Australia, we have not made any such judgment. We have a cooperative, helpful government which is in authority, in power, which is doing what it can to try and stop this. There will be guidelines being issued today for students, which we will make available to you.

Question: Is the Indian Government happy with the kind of effort the Australian Government is making so far?

Foreign Secretary: We think they are doing what they can.
From here:

Asian Tribune
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Chiron wrote:You are giving too much of importance to Slumdog Millionnaire and its impact... It is a popcorn movie... People have forgotten about it.. The economic impact of rising India is impossible to forget...
I wish you were right Chiron but its not -- its a epochal movie -- its a City of Joy revisited and reemphasized in a different world.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Rachel you have a point here, however, I think India has made its point amply clear to Australian Government and what is now going on is mudslinging. Situation is not that bad, the main reason is youth umemployment amoung Aussie's and Druggies. Having said this, I believe that it is the responsibility of Australian people and government to protect students from any form of racial attacks because they are actually guests and knowledge exchange vehicles which happen to be fragile in nature. I dont believe slumdog can have any significant effect on India's standing in the world and even if it does it cannot stop a sun from rising.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Philip wrote:Oz sends its top spy,Peter Varghese (it had to be a Mallu!) to India as its High Commissioner.He is sure to get along well with his fellow compatriots from "God's own country" who are currently riding high in Delhi.
Don't forget who told you first!

21st March:
shyamd wrote:Office of National Assessments, the contingency planning arm of Australian intelligence. Its present director, Peter Varghese, is to become ambassador to India.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Another Indian student attacked in Australia
A 20-year old Indian student was attacked near Box Hill railway station in a Melbourne suburb.
The yawns are getting quite loud now. This is the new normal, seems like. Dog bites man, nuttin newsworthy. Move on, folx.
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »

85% Australians say racial prejudice exists in Australia

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Fea ... 696841.cms
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Aussie PM in damage control mode.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Well ... 697078.cms

I think Indian needs to learn how to compare two dissimilar things and bundle it up in a nice box for the sake of argument.

1) Note how Kevin dude compares the 20 or so attacks on Aussie tourist(and not people who are students or on long term settlement) in past 10 years with 500 or more attacks on Indian students (who are clearly not tourists and are on long term plans) in last 2-3 years. If one puts these attacks on relative terms and compare the attacks on basis of nation population clearly Australia is atleast 10000 times more risky place than India.

Having said this, Australia needs to take action or will loose its international credibility in a massive way just like Northern Ireland in terms of developed racist state and harboring state sponsored racists.
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »

Now Australian vice chancellors, police officials head for India to assure students
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Aust ... 701108.cms
Atleast they are trying.
vishnua
BRFite

Post by vishnua »

Are they really trying or afriad loosing all those tution payments from Indians? England and Australia are getting lot of unnecessary money from us what they are dolling out in the form degrees.

Aurtralia is prime real estate where it can be extension of india by proper settlement of people. It has only 21 mi
Vishal_Bhatia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vishal_Bhatia »

vishnua wrote:Aurtralia is prime real estate where it can be extension of india by proper settlement of people. It has only 21 mi
Yes yes... certainly... our very own Lebensraum :roll:
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

^^^
What is wrong with that?
Oz landmass was once connected to the Deccan Plate & infact the aborigines of Oz may be distant cousins of the tribes in A&N islands.
Vishal_Bhatia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vishal_Bhatia »

derkonig wrote:What is wrong with that?
Err... Cause Australia is a country and can do without an Indian immigratory-invasion aimed at moulding it.
derkonig wrote:Oz landmass was once connected to the Deccan Plate & infact the aborigines of Oz may be distant cousins of the tribes in A&N islands.
Not the tense: was.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Vishal_Bhatia wrote:
derkonig wrote:What is wrong with that?
Err... Cause Australia is a country and can do without an Indian immigratory-invasion aimed at moulding it.
No body in the west wondered if the native Americans etc were or were not a country which could do with their attempts at remoulding the lebensraum.

And today the Chinese are not held back by such dictates either.

We have a huge propensity for cutting our own legs -- Kalidas rocks, I hope Ma Kali will give him wisdom sometimes.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

'Old' Indians in Australia say youngsters invite attacks

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Fea ... 717088.cms
But the resentment for this student agitation is most possibly rooted in the ``embarrassment’’ the old Indians feel on account of the students' behaviour. Rakesh, a local businessman in Sydney scoffed, ``Illiterate Indians,'' (wah! wah! Subhan-allah!) while another elderly Indian said, ``The way they behave in trains is deplorable. They listen to loud music and talk loudly on the phone.’
Yes these old "well settled" Indians are right. The Indians are the root cause of this problem of racial attacks but it is not the young Indians, rather it is these old Indians who are the cause, who are content to be subservient Gunga-din wannabes with fake identities. Sorry old chaps, but the new generation of Indians is not a bunch of Gandhian pussies who looks up to the white sahibs and bow their heads....they are smart, educated, confident (and brash! :mrgreen: ) and they give 2 hoots about "superior races".
kittoo
BRFite

Post by kittoo »

Raja Bose wrote:'Old' Indians in Australia say youngsters invite attacks

But the resentment for this student agitation is most possibly rooted in the ``embarrassment’’ the old Indians feel on account of the students' behaviour. Rakesh, a local businessman in Sydney scoffed, ``Illiterate Indians,'' (wah! wah! Subhan-allah!) while another elderly Indian said, ``The way they behave in trains is deplorable. They listen to loud music and talk loudly on the phone.’
Yes these old "well settled" Indians are right. The Indians are the root cause of this problem of racial attacks but it is not the young Indians, rather it is these old Indians who are the cause, who are content to be subservient Gunga-din wannabes with fake identities. Sorry old chaps, but the new generation of Indians is not a bunch of Gandhian pussies who looks up to the white sahibs and bow their heads....they are smart, educated, confident (and brash! :mrgreen: ) and they give 2 hoots about "superior races".
Yeah. Looks like these old Indians think that they've become one of the 'superior races' since they are living there for so long. Reminds me of a Russel peters joke where his father used to say for other Indians in US- 'damn immigrants' and he would say to his father-'you're an immigrant too dad.'
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

I am not discounting the fact that desis do jump queues, talk loudly etc. But is that justification for them to get beaten to a pulp by some bunch of loser Aussie punk(s)??? If these old fossil "Indians" think that is so, then I can only associate such thinking with senility or Gunga din boot licking tendencies. :evil:
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

kittoo wrote:

Yeah. Looks like these old Indians think that they've become one of the 'superior races' since they are living there for so long. Reminds me of a Russel peters joke where his father used to say for other Indians in US- 'damn immigrants' and he would say to his father-'you're an immigrant too dad.'
I read through that article and on top of what Bose-O-Mullah already stated about the "boot licking" mentality the thing that I was most amazed was by the paragraph which stated an Indian saying I cant be the face of a company with my dark skin and thick Indian accent well Sir, you cant bcoz you dont have the the goods to be not bcoz you are dark skinned or have an accent what a bunch of bull SHI# and why the eff are they interviewing these old a$$ bast%$#@ who think that there is a difference between the old and the new...slime ball hypocrites lets have a look at them when they first landed and were FOBs just like the kids coming now....agreed there are some things that need to be fixed but they are minor compared to the bigger problem of unnecessary agression and racism that these kids are facing......After reading that I sincerely thought that the first people who need a good thrashing are these buggers.... :evil:
Keshav
BRFite

Post by Keshav »

kittoo wrote:Yeah. Looks like these old Indians think that they've become one of the 'superior races' since they are living there for so long. Reminds me of a Russel peters joke where his father used to say for other Indians in US- 'damn immigrants' and he would say to his father-'you're an immigrant too dad.'
Russel Peters is classic and the reference is spot on.
Yes these old "well settled" Indians are right. The Indians are the root cause of this problem of racial attacks but it is not the young Indians, rather it is these old Indians who are the cause, who are content to be subservient Gunga-din wannabes with fake identities. Sorry old chaps, but the new generation of Indians is not a bunch of Gandhian pussies who looks up to the white sahibs and bow their heads....they are smart, educated, confident (and brash! ) and they give 2 hoots about "superior races".
There's always a trade off. Young Indians may not be so much into peace, but I guarantee you they aren't that Indian. You take your pick - Gunga Din but cultured, or not and Anglicized.
You are giving too much of importance to Slumdog Millionnaire and its impact... It is a popcorn movie... People have forgotten about it.. The economic impact of rising India is impossible to forget...
Thanks the Gods someone said it. People who thought India was s.hit before watching the movie will continue to think so and vice versa. It's not like you originally thought Kazakhstanis were nice, intelligent people until you saw Borat and completely changed your mind. Sheesh.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Keshav, the definition of "Indian" changes over generations...hardly a static one. And as regards culture, we Indians over time seemed to have made the art of turning the other cheek and subservient humbleness our "culture" as these old fogies so amply demonstrate.
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

Sanku wrote:
Chiron wrote:You are giving too much of importance to Slumdog Millionnaire and its impact... It is a popcorn movie... People have forgotten about it.. The economic impact of rising India is impossible to forget...
I wish you were right Chiron but its not -- its a epochal movie -- its a City of Joy revisited and reemphasized in a different world.
Maybe "City of God"?

Got a few friends who laud the great effort of depicting the ugly side of India, forgetting that the only audience for the ugly side is the West.

So, the movie "City of God" finally comes in mail. First reaction in the group after watching the movie is "Ugghh!!! what a @#$%!!". Forget that it was set some decades away, forget that Brazil is doing rather well now (still suffering crime ofcourse). But their reaction was "priceless".

Had to hint at the irony and haven't heard them praising Slumdog since then!!!!!
Keshav
BRFite

Post by Keshav »

a_kumar wrote:Had to hint at the irony and haven't heard them praising Slumdog since then!!!!!
Will end OT after this but "City of God" is ten times the movie of Slumdog Millionaire and received ten times less publicity. C'est la vie.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

I have been reading about the beatings of Indian students and the reactions of people to them.
Basically, these are as follows:
1.Indian students are poor. They are in Australia for permanent residence and not for studies. They are working at odd hours in odd jobs. They are competition for poor Australians. Since they are here for the wrong reason, it is OK to beat them.
2.Indian students are rich, but they are shamelessly flaunting their lap-tops and cell phones. Worst of all they listen to loud music. Since poor Australians boys who are hard working can not afford such expensive toys, it is perfectly ok the bash these Indians.
3.They can not speak proper English with proper Australian accent. They have a heavy Indian accent that is intolerable to hear in trains, buses or in public places. If they can not be quiet, it is ok to bash them. And if they are quiet, because they can not speak English at all, there is all the more reason to beat them up.
4. Indian students are in Australia for fraudulent reasons. Why are they learning cooking or hospitality industry? As they are here for bogus reasons, it is ok to beat them up.
5.Indian students have not learned to behave in public. They must behave in a way that is acceptable to Australians. So, it is ok to bash them.
6.Indians are in Australia due to the greed of Australian schools, touts or the government. Since we can not get them directly, let there be an open season on the Indian students who we meet every day.
7.Why are the Indian students not physically strong? If they are not then surely they deserve to be beaten. But getting into physical altercations in a foreign country with an unfriendly police and judicial system is a sure way to spend years in prison and then get deported.
8.Some Australian tourists were cheated/beaten/stolen from when they were in India, so many more Indian students must be beaten up as a just revenge.
9.Indians are more racists than Australians. Look at their caste system and the Dalits. They treat their own so badly, so they should taste their own medicine. Let’s beat them up.

All these reasons are blaming the victim. The most common type of blaming the victim is saying woman was raped, because she was asking for it, by wearing suggestive clothing, or by behaving like a slut or just because all women need/deserve to be raped. Indian students are in Australia with visas given by the government of Australia, following their (Australian)own rules. Even if they are there illegally, common civilized behavior states that their lives be protected. This is the common British legal system that is followed both in the US, and Australia just as it is in India. If the students are not wanted, Australia should cancel the visas, change the permanent residency laws and make sure Australia is left for the Europeans only. But as long as the Indian students are there, their safety is the business of the Australian government and the law enforcement agencies.
Finally let me come to the fact that older Indian community not supporting the Indian students. They say that they have lived peacefully in Australia for a long time. They are integrated into the Australian society. They are accepted. Their children speak with the right accent. They came from IITs and RECs and these new Indians have no education at all. They new Indians are making the older immigrant generation become aware of their black skin.
Now, this behavior reminds me of another time in another continent. In larger cities of Europe, especially those of Central and Western Europe, I am talking of Germany, France, Czechoslovakia etc; there was a great number of Westernized Jews. They were integrated into the society. They were many who were blond and blue eyed. They spoke completely accent free, as they were there for many generations. These Jews of course considered themselves to be far superior to the “uneducated” and poorly/traditionally dressed Jews from the East who were recent immigrants who were poor. These Jews had strong accents, different eating habits and behaved differently in social situations. Unfortunately, when the Nazis took over and the laws of "Blut und Boden" were enforced, the integrated Jews were treated the same as those who had recently immigrated. The gas chambers did not discriminate. Let the older Indian immigrants beware. Racists will not spare them.
Gautam
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ Touche.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

Details of overseas students' death in Oz suppressed: Report
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... rt/483562/
Posted: Jul 01, 2009 at 1207 hrs IST

Melbourne About 54 overseas students, nearly half of them Indians, died of various causes in Australia last year, but coroners were trying to suppress the details of the deaths, a leading daily in Melbourne reported on Wednesday.

The report in 'The Age', which comes amid a series of racial attacks targeting Indian students in Australia, claimed the toll is higher than the federal government has admitted.

It also carried a story datelined Rampura Phul in Punjab, detailing the trauma of the family of Mangat Garg, whose son Razat died after being hit by a train on the western fringes of Melbourne on the Valentine's Day.

Australian Police suggested that the hospitality management student had committed suicide but the family is alleging murder and is not satisfied with the investigation, the report said. The valuables and cash he was carrying at the time of the incident was not found on his body, Garg said.

Same report, different headline.
Indians half of student deaths in Aus in 08
July 01, 2009 12:11 IST
Last Updated: July 01, 2009 12:56 IST
http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/jul/ ... s-died.htm
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »

^^^54 overseas students died in Oz in 2008, half Indians.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Worl ... 723634.cms
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »

81 attacks on Indians in Oz since May 23: Govt to RS
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/81-a ... 730084.cms
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Australia and Asia and the New Order
THE full text of the speech given by former prime minister Paul Keating to Curtin University.

John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library Anniversary Lecture - 2 July 2009
Elizabeth Jolley Lecture Theatre
Curtin University of Technology
2 July 2009
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Jamal K. Malik wrote:81 attacks on Indians in Oz since May 23: Govt to RS
More attacks coming?
Australia Faces the ‘Full Brunt’ of Global Recession (Update1)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... kiwWwwe3cY
Gautam
arnab
BRFite

Post by arnab »

g.sarkar wrote:
I have been reading about the beatings of Indian students and the reactions of people to them.
Basically, these are as follows:
<snip>
All these reasons are blaming the victim. The most common type of blaming the victim is saying woman was raped, because she was asking for it,
Gautam
Umm - I think you are missing the point. One cannot have a discussion on the basis of a simple black and white statement that attacking foreign students is totaly wrong and unacceptable and must be condemned. We take that view to be a given. Therefore step 2 would have to be mitigation of future attacks and here one would require to look at underlying causes. This is because try as one might - you cannot have police in every area trying to prevent random attacks (reminds me of paki comments about why 700000000 indian soldiers in kashmir are unable to prevent infiltration!! :)
One of the underlying premises might be that Aussies have been racist dogs all their lives and this is just a continuation and proof of their inherent racism. Which does not explain why the spike in attacks commenced in 2008. Otoh, it could mean that the 'average Aussie' was pursuing his dream of 'life, liberty, wealth' etc and could not really be bothered about a few students coming in to do part-time jobs.
As an analogy - are the marathi manoos inherently racist? Or did the Shiv Sena capitalise on the rampant unemployment due to mill closures in the 70s and started targeting south indians? Or why did the 'dot busters' suddenly come into limelight in US during the early eighties?.
I don't find the reaction of the 'established migrants' blaming the FOBs to be particularly surprising. There is a fair bit of literature which suggests that most immigrants want the immigration door shut once they have entered!! Its a competition thing :)
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

arnab wrote: As an analogy - are the marathi manoos inherently racist? Or did the Shiv Sena capitalise on the rampant unemployment due to mill closures in the 70s and started targeting south indians? Or why did the 'dot busters' suddenly come into limelight in US during the early eighties?.
Ridiculous comparison, outside of MNS sponsored nonsense, how many "racial" attacks have taken place on regular basis in Maha ? ZERO?

All this is finding reasons to blame the victim to take the focus away from the fact that a very large number of Australians and probably a significant proportion of their total population is racist enough to start target attacks on a particular community when a reason exhibits itself.

A large enough % to render their law enforcement completely ineffectual.
samuel
BRFite

Post by samuel »

I propose that:
1. Every Indian with a cellphone in Ozland must twitter or facebook or some other message to a website that can be passed to the world instantly.

2. I have had the luxury of interacting with researchers and academics from Australia and I must say they are not very good. There always are exceptions of course, here and there. So, if the objective is to study, then don't go to Australia. It is a waste of time and a correspondence course might be better.

3. But if the objective is to stay on and avail of the wonderful facilities from a country that benefits from ripping India off in the commonwealth, why this is a wonderful way forward. Find any course you can take to hang on, and do it legally.

4. Help Australia become a wonderfully "diverse, tolerant and a better democracy" and fight for the rights of the downtrodden. Get into the hallways of power and repeat this method. Everytime one says "unity" you say "diversity and democracy." In this way, help Australia adjust and integrate with differences. You can do this through "multicultural dialog," "vedic awareness and yoga," "interfaith studies" or even marrying Australian men and women, as your taste may be.

5. Treat and love your fellow Indians exceptionally and celebrate them. Hang on to your community because it will strengthen you in spirit and by numbers. Don't falter when one is in need of your help.

6. When someone attacks you and you are not in a position to respond in kind, you must run as fast as you can to safety. When you can respond, don't hesitate or be shy. If you cannot make up your mind, flip a coin in your head. If you have no choice, go out fighting and take one with you. If the only reaction that seems appropriate is to plead for your life and get beaten, forgive yourself and get trained. You won't do it again.

JMT.
S
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Good points Samuelji!
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

A few of the racial attacks were attributed to rivalry between middle-eastern ruffians and Indian students. There were supposed to be a gang of Palestinians who were going after Indian students living in that area.