India-Australia News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Re: India-Australia News and Discussion

Post by rsingh »

Heard somewhere that a pukka anti-migration leader in Australia has decided to migrate to UK. :rotfl:
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

^^^
pauline hanson of one nation fame?
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Surya wrote:Andy, biswas

is this presently pretty much a Victorian issue - looks like Sydney is OK

I stayed 5 yrs in sydney and other than a couple of incidents was mostly ok.

Victoria and West Australia were always more European and hence more racist compared to NSW.
Joo are right indeed about there being a higher European populace in Vic.

However saar I have observed in my 7 years here that its not the racism case in all suburbs some of the more affluent suburbs have massive desi population (case in point Hawthorn, Camberwell, Blackburn, Boxhill-(although primarily an asian suburb this has a increasing Yindoo demographic as well))

I strongly believe that the so called Wog segment (Local racist term for Europeans although primarily reffered to Greeks, Italian, Turks, Lebanese) is a major issue here. These people have had issues with most other races. I do have a couple of close Greek friends and Turks too and have known a few Lebanese too.
It would still be wrong to accuse and generalize the above races as being troublemakers in general, however from what i have seen a lot of the young ones from this generation ranging primarily between the 15 to 25 age group are troublemakers for sure.

The main point that I have observed is kids from these above demographics dont generally go to school and pursue higher education they more so go for Tradie and Apprerentice jobs or small scale businesses.

Even during my undergrad tenure here the main three races in Unis were the english bred ozzies, yindoos, srilankans and asians. The rest made a very small or negligible part onlee and this is difference is even bigger in the masters that i am pursuing.

I am not in any way against these people but I am merely stating what I am seeing...also one should not at any point discount some of local ozzies that live in the outer suburbs. The so called white trash variety. case in point example would be the suburb Ringwood in Melbourne.
These people staying in the outer suburbs do menial jobs and the kids bcoz they never go to pursue education have too much free time on their hands which they leisurely spend by hanging around and being a nuisance to the society. The interesting this is that the parents of these kids are mostly from the GenX and Baby Boomer variety and they are quite well off due to the good amount of moolah that they would have made during their times in the 60s and 70s.
biswas
BRFite

Post by biswas »

I have never heard of a racially provoked attack on Indians in Perth/WA.

I don't know, I've always been sort of shielded, I went to a multi-kalchooral school, when I go out at night I have the had the good fortune of always being with friends etc. Hence I have never experienced racism as such.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

Let me go on a limb in this post..just take it for whats its worth..
I have a deep rooted suspicion of the Indian English media and am convinced that national interest is the last thing on their mind in presenting their views. Most of BRF knows and understands what I am saying here so I will not indulge with examples. For an Indic-hating and China-loving media to suddenly sound all patriotic and go on an overdrive about attacks in Australia seems very odd indeed. This seems like an agenda to scare Indians from migrating to Ozz while all the time China continues to view Ozz as their 'manifest destiny'. Come to think of it there is no other way a 3rd country can stop the flow of people from one country to another. Subtle media propaganda that a particular country is unsafe is the only way to stop Indians.
This is not to say Oz doesnt have its share of red-necks but the English media has gone way over the top with it.
ravar
BRFite
Location: हिमालयम समारभ्य़ यावत हिन्दु सरोवरम, तम देव निर्मितम देशम हिन्दुस्थानम प्रचक्षते

Post by ravar »

For an Indic-hating and China-loving media to suddenly sound all patriotic and go on an overdrive about attacks in Australia seems very odd indeed.
The conspiracy theory of the media seems less likely from this angle though the lefties enjoy considerable clout with them. Remember the same media drumming up on Chinese incursions and its growing military might as a threat to India.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

SandeepA wrote:
I have a deep rooted suspicion of the Indian English media and am convinced that national interest is the last thing on their mind in presenting their views.

For an Indic-hating and China-loving media to suddenly sound all patriotic and go on an overdrive about attacks in Australia seems very odd indeed. This seems like an agenda to scare Indians from migrating to Ozz while all the time China continues to view Ozz as their 'manifest destiny'.

Come to think of it there is no other way a 3rd country can stop the flow of people from one country to another. Subtle media propaganda that a particular country is unsafe is the only way to stop Indians.

This is not to say Oz doesnt have its share of red-necks but the English media has gone way over the top with it.
Read the history how the Indians were not allowed into US in early 1900s and later during the British colonial rule. Chinese were allowed into US and were the coolie class for the Americans for more than a century.
The same strategy and similar reasons are being used for Australian immigration.

There is some social engineering here in the racism news reports and how they are wipped to create passions within the minds.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

andy

thanks

During my time - Lebanese gangs were a nuisance in the Paramatta area.

Wogs reminds me of Acropolis Now :D - wonder if I can find it on youtube.

biswas

Perth being mining area in those days used to be bad for Asians. A desi friend of mine got a job as a mining engineer , got bashed up and came back to good ol sydney
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Australian vindaloo campaign curries favour with India

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 99487.html
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/683 ... ists-tour/

Have to give it to Gautam Gupta, he's resolute in calling this thing a marketing gimmick.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

I was going to buy a vacation ticket and send my mother on a trip to Austrlia to meet some of her relatives till I heard about all this bashing up of Indians going on there.

I fear for her safety and decided against it.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

half of australia's population should be on this list.

pakistan will definately make it into the top 3.

-----------

Australia to face-scan visitors from 'terror-risk' countries

SYDNEY (AFP) - Australia plans to fingerprint and face-scan visitors from about 10 high-risk countries in a bid to combat extremism, which is now a "permanent" threat, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said Tuesday.

Rudd said Australia was also concerned about the rising threat from home-grown militancy, just a week after five Sydney men received long jail terms for planning a violent jihad attack.

"Terrorism continues to pose a serious threat and a serious challenge to Australia's security interests. That threat is not diminishing," Rudd said, unveiling a counter-extremism white paper.

Last week five Australian citizens of Lebanese, Libyan and Bangladeshi origin were jailed for up to 28 years for gathering weapons in preparation for an attack on an unknown target.

"We are now seeing emerging the potential so-called lone wolf escapade where we don't have sophisticated planning but an individual is seduced by the international jihad and as a lone wolf does extreme things," he told ABC radio.

Since 2001, more than 100 Australians have been killed in terror attacks overseas, including 88 killed in coordinated blasts at nightclubs on the Indonesia resort island of Bali in 2002.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

The rather strange Australian behaviour of antagonising the largest democracies in Asia even while cosying up with largest authoritarian regime in Asia explained by an Australian:
Labor's loose cannons allow friendships to turn frosty

February 23, 2010
Gerard Henderson
Executive director, The Sydney Institute

How has it come to this? Australia has strained relationships with, in modern parlance, two of its ''besties'' in Asia, India and Japan. Both are democracies with independent judiciaries. Both are important trading partners. Both are friends that share common security interests.

The answer turns on Labor's view that it has to make some concessions to the minority Left faction within the ALP and to the Greens. The former to keep the party as united as possible; the latter to maximise the flow of preferences from the Greens to Labor.................

Clearly the Prime Minister has not given any concessions to the left on foreign policy. The same can be said for national security........................

However, some concessions have been made to the left on nuclear and environmental issues. The left consented to the abolition of Labor's no-new-uranium-mines policy. But it insists that Australia exports uranium only to nations that have signed up to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty - which excludes India.

The US and Canada have found ways of getting around this problem - but not Australia. This has led to considerable resentment in Delhi. The influential Shashi Tharoor, now a member of the Indian government, publicly condemned Rudd's policy during a visit to Australia in 2008. Senior members of the Indian government are even more outspoken in private.

Now the long-standing tension between Australia and Japan over whaling has escalated. The Prime Minister used his Friday gig on Channel Seven's Sunrise to say that if Australia does not get a diplomatic agreement with Japan ''we'll be going to the International Court of Justice''........................

There is something unsatisfactory about Australia going quiet about undemocratic China while threatening to pick a legal fight with Japan and irritating India..........................

Sydney Morning Herald
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

The Australian’s are on a charm offensive and are stubbing out something like AUD 250K to finance junkets for Indian Journalists:

Indian journos paid to see we're not racist
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

deleted - copyright
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

SwamyG wrote: Africa and Australia will be the battlefields in the cold-war between China and India.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/To ... story.html
Now look closely at the photo caption. It says:
China and India will be major players in setting energy, mineral and commodity prices. The new scramble for Africa is between them.
I will say it again, Australia is also in the basket for China and India.
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith updated his Indian counterpart S.M. Krishna about measures taken by Australian authorities, including close surveillance of areas where Indians stay in large numbers, and emphasized his government's zero tolerance for racist attacks.

http://www.newkerala.com/news/fullnews-63052.html

---

Melbourne: Security fears fuelled by the attacks on Indians living in Australia have prompted half-a-dozen academy-level players from India to pull out of a series ...

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100304/j ... 175525.jsp
biswas
BRFite

Post by biswas »

Victorian police say they believe the body of a young boy found in Melbourne's north belongs to a three-year-old Indian boy who went missing on Thursday afternoon.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 836991.htm
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

^^^ Goal seems to be to intimidate and put fear into peoples minds.
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

biswas wrote:
Victorian police say they believe the body of a young boy found in Melbourne's north belongs to a three-year-old Indian boy who went missing on Thursday afternoon.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 836991.htm
The same 3 year old boy, Gurshan Singh has been found murdered. His parents have positively identified the body as of last night.

Police treat boy's death as homicide

This is a sure sign that events could have turned on its head. The point of no return has been crossed :evil:
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

poor kid.

makes me f&#*@g mad

i'd like to get my hands on the guy who did this.
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

Lead on toddler's death

And Link

This could indicate a paedophile junkie at work, probably a serial offender.
If Australian customs are known to have the best customs systems in the world, then why are they not able to cut down on the drug trade? Moreover, how do exotic drugs like LSD, crystal meth and herion even enter Australia?
sanjchopra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sanjchopra »

Man charged over Gurshan's death
Gursewak Dhillon, 23, has been charged with manslaughter due to criminal negligence and is appearing in an out-of-sessions hearing at St Kilda Road Police complex on Sunday evening.

He is not expected to apply for bail.

The man is not a relative, but did live in the same house in David Street, Lalor as Gurshan.
biswas
BRFite

Post by biswas »

sanjchopra wrote:Man charged over Gurshan's death
Gursewak Dhillon, 23, has been charged with manslaughter due to criminal negligence and is appearing in an out-of-sessions hearing at St Kilda Road Police complex on Sunday evening.

He is not expected to apply for bail.

The man is not a relative, but did live in the same house in David Street, Lalor as Gurshan.
Negligence? What like he didn't keep an eye on the child for a minute, so his death is his fault?
sanjchopra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sanjchopra »

I'll try to catch ABC late night bulletin. Let's see if some more information is provided.
sanjchopra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sanjchopra »

Dhillon Gursewak charged over death of toddler Gurshan Singh
Mr Gursewak, who was appearing in an out-of-sessions hearing at St Kilda Road Police complex tonight, lived in the same house Gurshan but is not a relative.
The Lalor house, which the family shared with 10 housemates while living in Australia for the past two months, was quiet, with floral tributes that have been piling up outside the brick fence dampened and crumpled after Saturday's violent thunderstorm in the city.
Klaus
BRF Oldie

Post by Klaus »

Witnesses sought in Gurshan's murder case. Apparently, a woman has played a role in aiding the murderer when his car ran out of fuel.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

biswas wrote:Negligence? What like he didn't keep an eye on the child for a minute, so his death is his fault?
No. The guy claims he accidentally knocked the child unconscious and then panicked in case the kid's parents would find out. So he dumped the kid into the back of his trunk and drove around for 3 hours and then dropped the kid's body off in a field without checking to see if the child was still alive or not. Police are yet to determine the exact cause of the kid's death, but he didn't have any visible life threatening injuries. The autopsy is going to check if the child could have suffocated in the car's trunk or not. Either way, the negligence charge is for not informing the parents of what happened or calling for an ambulance.

Also, the man in question is allegedly in Australia with fake travel documents, so that may have been another reason why he panicked.
biswas
BRFite

Post by biswas »

ArmenT wrote:
biswas wrote:Negligence? What like he didn't keep an eye on the child for a minute, so his death is his fault?
No. The guy claims he accidentally knocked the child unconscious and then panicked in case the kid's parents would find out. So he dumped the kid into the back of his trunk and drove around for 3 hours and then dropped the kid's body off in a field without checking to see if the child was still alive or not. Police are yet to determine the exact cause of the kid's death, but he didn't have any visible life threatening injuries. The autopsy is going to check if the child could have suffocated in the car's trunk or not. Either way, the negligence charge is for not informing the parents of what happened or calling for an ambulance.

Also, the man in question is allegedly in Australia with fake travel documents, so that may have been another reason why he panicked.
Ah, how embarassing.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opi ... le1495355/

It ain't nothin folks and even if it is, it is worse in India. Read the comments (most are nonsense by Chinese).
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

better be on guard if you are going 'down under'.
otherwise you will be going down & under for good.

----------

Mother can't understand beating of son in wheelchair in Australia

WINNIPEG - Shellan Proden couldn't bring herself to watch the grainy surveillance video of two young men who brutally attacked her son, forced him out of his wheelchair and pummelled him.

"I haven't watched that video and I don't think I will," Proden said Wednesday from her home in Winnipeg Beach, 60 kilometres north of Winnipeg. "I can't believe a human being would do that to someone else. It's like a savage."

Proden's 35-year-old son, Heath, has been visiting his girlfriend in Sydney, Australia, since November. Police in New South Wales say he was returning from a country music concert by fellow Manitobans Doc Walker and waiting for a train late Tuesday night when he was approached by two young men who punched him in the face and knocked him from his chair.

Police say the assailants stomped on him and hit him with metal bars before running off with his belongings and wheelchair, only to return later to continue the beating.

The crime was captured by transit security cameras. The video, which was shown on news websites around the world, shows the victim lying on the cramped floor of an elevator as he tries in vain to fend off blows and get back into his chair.

He suffered multiple injuries and was waiting for surgery.

"I've been told ... that they'll have to go in and do some draining of the brain. But he's alert, he's talking and whatever," Proden said.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/1003 ... lia_attack
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

Australians are rapidly descending into darkness. They better do something about it while there still is some hope. I think China probably has better record on human rights than Australia and at this rate even Pakistan may beat Australia very soon. Australian society is very disturbing and the trend is a cause for an alarm. As I have said before, if Australia were not a white country, the white dominated news media across the globe would have bombarded us with all these atrocities happening in Australia.
paulm
BRFite -Trainee

Post by paulm »

As I have said before, if Australia were not a white country, the white dominated news media across the globe would have bombarded us with all these atrocities happening in Australia.

The 'youths' who beat up the poor guy were of Pacific Islander appearance, and the wheelchair-bound Canadian was white. I actually got mugged at Mount Druitt station myself a few years ago (no violence though), the scrum of the earth seem to hang around the train stations in that part of Sydney.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Aussie-brats are on a mindless rampage.

Canadian man on wheelchair savagely beaten in Australia
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le1495840/
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

As I have said before, if Australia were not a white country, the white dominated news media across the globe would have bombarded us with all these atrocities happening in Australia.

I am glad someone has noticed this.

Now, all are familiar with the recent Muslim attacks on Christians in Nigeria, but who recalls reading about the Christian massacres of Muslims 2-3 months ago?

A NDTV/ZeeTV team with a camera can humilate Australia, but we all know that will jeopardise some bhatija's chances of securing a hair-dressing course.
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

sanjaykumar wrote:[
A NDTV/ZeeTV team with a camera can humilate Australia, but we all know that will jeopardise some bhatija's chances of securing a hair-dressing course.
You are absolutely correct. Indian media has much to learn from its western counterpart. It is not even greed or financial motive in most cases, it simply is a lack of what I call sophistication, which plagues Indian media. It is just not shrewd enough.

:) Here is a recipe to changing bigoted Aussie hearts:

“Cinema showcases different cultures and Indian films are all about our culture, our traditions, human relations and all about heart. So when Australians watch Indian films, they will get to know Indians better and that will help in knowing each other better,” Rani told IANS in an exclusive interview.

http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/article25 ... epage=true
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

sanjaykumar wrote:...
Now, all are familiar with the recent Muslim attacks on Christians in Nigeria, but who recalls reading about the Christian massacres of Muslims 2-3 months ago?
OT, but I too was thinking along the same lines. When chrisitians in Nigeria was massacred, there was almost 24X7 coverage, with pope and everyone else condemning the act. There is a one liner added that muslims too were killed similarly couple of months back. However, there was no way as much coverage on the muslim killings. In fact, it is only through the chrisitian killings that the muslim killings too came out!!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Akshut wrote:Aussie-brats are on a mindless rampage.

I do some volunteer work for an advocacy group for Guide dogs, and their (blind) users. It's an international group. The reported cases from mindless attacks by hoodlums on blind people and their dogs in Australia is unbelievably bad. I think most of these attacks do not make headlines, as they will make it here in USA or Europe. (as these attacks are much more common there).
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

Amber G. wrote:
Akshut wrote:Aussie-brats are on a mindless rampage.

I do some volunteer work for an advocacy group for Guide dogs, and their (blind) users. It's an international group. The reported cases from mindless attacks by hoodlums on blind people and their dogs in Australia is unbelievably bad. I think most of these attacks do not make headlines, as they will make it here in USA or Europe. (as these attacks are much more common there).
I have to say, Australia does come across as a society where attacks on disabled people are common. This is an image of Australia which is forming at least in my mind. Australian government needs to step in and create some sort of education program for Australians. The vast majority in Australia clearly does not seem to know right from wrong. It is very disturbing to most peace loving people across the globe.