India-Australia News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Re: India-Australia News and Discussion

Post by JE Menon »

>>SL Tamils are that they are downright obnoxious to Indian Tamils and look down upon us for some reason.

I have some experience with this situation, as someone with one leg in Mallustan and one in Tamil Nadu so to speak. I think one reason for that is quite the same as once Pak Punjus used to look down upon the real Punjus in India - their countries were in general terms better off, more money visible, closer to "the West", no shortages of material goods, and so on. This had changed in the SL Tamils by the mid-1990s I think. I remember I encountered a particularly obnoxious one in Delhi around then at a gathering of dyed-in-the-bull Macaulayites (as BRF might label it), and this chap went on a bit of a political rant about India, how nasty we were, how useless the country was, etc... this was at the India International Centre. In those days it was well nigh impossible to speak up (plus, I was a guest), so I steered the gent politely out of public hearing and privately tore him a new one (verbally, not literally). Bloke, a young one, slid away sheepishly. I swear this happened... the above post just triggered the memory.

The Commies in Kerala had a similar sense about them too - check out the Soviets, how advanced they are, how technically capable, how organised, how egalitarian, how white, and so on... So, once my father organised a small seminar of sorts (poor chap didn't really know my own inclinations, thought that since I hardly ever lived in Kerala, or even in India for that matter, I would be as Macaulayite on the inside as I looked on the outside. That was a mistake, I was in my mid-20s - was already on BRF - and was a consultant on MENA area then). Questions on social structuring, foreign policy, etc. followed. There were about 30 people. Was the most bloodshed in my personal life. My father was initially (i.e. like in the first minute) shocked by my own views - he hadn't really heard them. The attendees, all local Mallu commie and congi grandees from the Palakkad district area around the town of Palakkad itself, were shocked out of their wits. Especially when I told them that we would be as close to the US as to Russia in under two decades. One or two literally shouted. "Endha e chekken parayunnathu"? - What's this fellow (chekken is more derogatory) saying?

My father was totally surprised, as one who maintained good relationships through the political spectrum, including the local RSS folks. What he considered a pro-US attitude he took for granted earlier, but my civilisational sensibility was out of the blue. I told him to talk to my little sister (then in 9th or 10th in a Christian school), if he wanted the saffron party line. We came at it from different routes, but reached the same place, my sister and I. Strange how all this works.

Wish there was youtube in those days... UPA would only have had one term.

Anyways, just anecdotal stuff...some spice.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Sagrawal wrote:
vish_mulay wrote:There have been dooms day predictions about OZ real estate bust from 2009. What many don't understand is that besides Sydney and Melbourne, rest of Ozland is in recession. Re markets are already flat or in negative territory for most of The down under. The problem with Sydney and Melbourne is skewed demand and supply. As a double income family with kids, I want house in a suburb which has good schools, better medical facilities, public transport and has relatively less law and order issues. Very few suburbs fulfil all these conditions and hence huge demand spiralling the re cost. There was no new land released for real estate developers for 10 years after Sydney Olympics. There is need for 60000 new dwellings to sustain the population growth, migration both internal as well as external and supply is not yet at the replacement level. Add on the Chines money influx and its a extremely bull territory. Buying in a good suburb is out of question for many double income families.one interesting outcome, multi generational family homes.

I recently moved to Sydney and had hard time finding suitable rental accommodation. Rent is very high in areas with good school and public transport. Finally got a small 2 bedroom unit in Carlingford which has a good school but 1 hour away from CBD for $480 a week. Houses are in range of $700 plus a week.

Sagrawal, welcome to Oz.

I hope,you settle well. It's a nice country to live and bring your kids up. Most desi women once in O for about 12 months don't want to return due to the freedoms and non judgemental nature of society.

The Carlingford area has historically been poorly connected by public transport. It's has got better in the last 5 years but still nowhere close to western Sydney or northern suburbs alignment.

I dare say, Honsby, Berowra on the North Shore line are better served besides being lush green and close to Ku Ring Gai one of sSydneys iconic national parks.

Sate schools are very good.

I am sorry, I am still in India dealing with our great Baboos but expect to return to Syney in July (fingers crossed)

In the meantime, if I can help please reach out to me by PM or after I return.

Medicare is also good.

Yes, Rents are high and getting higher. This has been an issue since the last decade or so. I can only empathise
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

The trick to avoid door knocking proselytising is to get into their black list.

I used to have Jevoha's gang knock on my doors often. After a few visits, I invited them in and made them listen to the Bhagvad Gita. In the many years since, No body has ever knocked on my door again.

My gora friend tried another trick.. when asked if he believed in JC he replied "wasn't that a character inReturn of the Jedi?" Nobody has knocked on his door too since.
Last edited by rahulm on 29 May 2017 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Bart S wrote:
Agasthi wrote:This is the first time i'm seeing and talking to pakistanis and they are different from us but them so are sri lankan tamils. I seem to have more in common to talk and share about, with my gujarati neighbour than a sri-lankan tamil. I guess post 1947, we all seem to be on different trajectories.
I am Tamil myself but my experience (albeit limited, and from a couple of decades ago when overseas Indians were not as prevalent as today) with SL Tamils are that they are downright obnoxious to Indian Tamils and look down upon us for some reason. My guess is that most of them got in through the refugee quotas and didn't have the filters that Indians living or going abroad go through.

However they are extremely close knit and network in a way that few Indians (save Mallus perhaps) do.
I was repeatedly set upon on public roads, train stations and whatnot by different bunches of idiotic SL tamils to convince me to seek political asylum in Germany. They assured me that they would take care of all formalities and ensure that I got the asylum.

I was furious with these rascals, all living off the welfare system and running drugs as a side business.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Also many desis feel obliged to stop and listen out of politeness when approached.

Its perfectly ok to say ' sorry mate, have to go. Have a nice day" and move on. Many desis find it difficult to be so direct.

Australians are not closet greenies. They are full,blown greeneis.

Opposition to Adani has nothing to with his origins. At least that's my view. The government/Adani may eventually win but it will be a long drawn affair.

There are always wheels within wheels in deal of this size. The Chinese do play their cards better.
Sagrawal
BRFite

Post by Sagrawal »

rahulm wrote:Also many desis feel obliged to stop and listen out of politeness when approached.

Its perfectly ok to say ' sorry mate, have to go. Have a nice day" and move on. Many desis find it difficult to be so direct.
I am going to be direct and use that phrase going forward. I get stopped a lot for different charities and what not.

Thanks for the tip Rahul. I am not able to send you a PM, if you can PM me your email id, I will get in touch.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Sagarwal welcome to Australia. I hope you are getting used to down under and if you need any info/feedback/help please feel free to PM me. If possible move away from Carlingford in next year or two. They are building 6000 new dwellings this year alone and expecting 1500 new school enrolments. The existing 3 primary schools are running with full student teacher ratio and its going to get worst. I am sure you know that the select schools are not bound by any geographic location but the merit based entrance exam making your residential address inconsequential. If possible, move to Hornsby and up north with train access as it will give you much better connectivity and primary and secondary schools. The catch is Hospital cover which is not as great as the Royal north shore or Westmead. I will not talk about house prices as they are astronomical for good areas.
As far as missionaries are concern, my standard line to tell is that I don't believe in narrow message of one book, one messenger and one god who is vengeful and egoistic. I say it with smile on my face but firmly and they leave you to stew in your Hindu hell. If you try to be nice, you are inviting trouble. Just be polite but curt and they get the message. As far as your Philippino neighbours are concern, It might just be they not knowing that you have different faith. You will be surprised how little is known about Hinduism in this part of the world. Overall I think we made a very good move from US and happy with the way things work out. Good luck!
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Never had any problem with SL Tamils. Honestly interacted with very few but the temple we visit is SL Tamil Murugan and never felt as an outsider. The only Indian crowd which really gets on my nerves is the Delhi elite crowd. Have had misfortune to mix with them as SHQ workplace has lot of them (High finance project management). My reputation precedes me so when I enter, the religious and political talks go silent. BRF prepares you to put out facts which they cannot refute. The conversation always end with me having last world and silences with SHQ staring at me!
Agasthi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Agasthi »

My experience with SL tamils has not been obnoxious, it has been quite pleasant. My kids go to a school run by SL Tamils to learn tamil, and they have been quite friendly and most of the SL tamils are all doing good. it is just that we (and there are other indian tamils as well who share the same feeling) seem to have not much in common apart from language and religion. They are friendly but aloof. In a conversation, i had repeatedly talked about India as home subconsciously and the SL guy I was talking to went sad and said that he doesn't have an option to return to home country. I guess they are trying to come to terms to with loss of land and adapting to a home that may never be their home.

Also, my observation is that the accent and the food reminds me so much of mallustan than TN. When i first heard it, i thought somebody was speaking malayalam. When i grew up, we were always told and my mallu friends shared the same view that malayalam branched out later from tamil. I'm not so sure now. How do you explain the cocunut oil as cooking oil, the puttu, the accent and the networking and the art of sticking together just like our mallu brothers :D ? I think Tamil in TN may have had a different trajectory during vijayanagar and nayak rule and I think that Tamil during the 10th century may have sounded more like malayalam of today than the tamil of today.
If possible move away from Carlingford in next year or two. They are building 6000 new dwellings this year alone and expecting 1500 new school enrolments. The existing 3 primary schools are running with full student teacher ratio and its going to get worst. I am sure you know that the select schools are not bound by any geographic location but the merit based entrance exam making your residential address inconsequential. If possible, move to Hornsby and up north with train access as it will give you much better connectivity and primary and secondary schools. The catch is Hospital cover which is not as great as the Royal north shore or Westmead. I will not talk about house prices as they are astronomical for good areas.
True, Carlingford is getting crowded, but it has been very convenient and i did evaulate Hornsby, but decided to stick to Carlingford especially because of the schools and the fact is quite closer to the trains without being actually sitting on the train stations.

Rentals and the internet are a killer at least here in Sydney. India had much faster speeds than here, my oz colleagues don't believe me that India has better internet speeds. The food, the taste is so awful be it chinese, indian, or whatever and on top of it, pricey! However, all things considered OZ is really a nice place, I don't have to fight for a gas connection, water or electricity or argue with a bus conductor every day. India would be far better, if we get our basic infra in place but having seen OZ, i think india will be like Oz in 15-20 years infra wise.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Welcome Agasthi! There is a talk about 4th primary school at Carlingford but nothing concrete. SHQ hates Asian tiger mom upbringing. Will not mind if our boys become tradies hence we avoid the super Asian suburbs. If I can, I will move to Gosford on a sea front property but alas SHQ is not on board. Such is life!
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Chinese actually tastes they way nit supposed too, not 100% authentic but close. In India we add masala stuff the Chinese would never add

Authentic Indian taste is hard to find and I haven't been to an Indian restaurant in ages but the are exceptions.

Try Nilgiri in Crows Nest. Ajoy is a good guy, has an open kitchen and changes the menu frequently. Yes, it's pricey.

Harris Park (Harish Park :D ) and Parramatta (Parmatma :D ) are Little India lots of food but mostly average.

Leppington is almost India with people disposing of their garbage in their neighbours plot and nosey neighbours peeking from b bind curtains. You might feel right at home :rotfl:

Australia has some of the best food in the world, particularly seafood. Make no mistake about this. It's a different matter you might not like,it. I do now. Ditch the coffee giants. Go to Leichardt and patronise any hole in the Wal run by Italians. Fantastic coffee.

Newtown is a terrific Art Deco laid back suburb with great food and ambience. It's the first suburb in Oz where Maccas had to close down due to lack of patronage.

Crows nest has great al fresco dining of all sorts inc Indian food that mostly you won't like but the goras love.

Balmain is another foodie paradise as is Glebe. The list goes on.

After living in Oz I find desi food at home to be very salty. Newcomers to Oz complain that there isn't enough salt. It's ok. It settles down.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Don't eat Indian food outside as I have yet to find good Indian restaurant out of India. Chinese is as good as you get in main land just tad less smelly. SE Asian food is very good if you know where to eat. i target places which my Asian friends recommend and never had bad experiences. real food experience is at Melbourne. Great food at reasonable cost. Sydney is way over priced.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Melbourne is way better than Sydney in all respects except the weather which is foul. Melbourne residents are also way better.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Second that! If not for the seasonal migraines of SHQ, we will be in Melbourne in heart beat! Other 2 places I really love are Bega and Jervis bay. I frequently drive to Jervis for summer weekends. Great place for snorkelling, beach and bbq! Bega is stunning esp. in autumn I would love to settle there if I can find job!
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

vish_mulay wrote:Second that! If not for the seasonal migraines of SHQ, we will be in Melbourne in heart beat! Other 2 places I really love are Bega and Jervis bay. I frequently drive to Jervis for summer weekends. Great place for snorkelling, beach and bbq! Bega is stunning esp. in autumn I would love to settle there if I can find job!

You can always make Cheese and pick berries. :rotfl:

Yes, Jarvis is stunning. I often drive my campervan there and evey where else.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Sagrawal wrote:
rahulm wrote:Also many desis feel obliged to stop and listen out of politeness when approached.

I am going to be direct and use that phrase going forward. I get stopped a lot for different charities and what not.

Thanks for the tip Rahul. I am not able to send you a PM, if you can PM me your email id, I will get in touch.
You can email me at my brfhandle20@gmail
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

ImageJervis Bay by vish mulay, on Flickr
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

It was 4C this morning in Western suburbs of Melb. Feel like temp was 1C. Although I love Melbourne, I just got back from 6 weeks of summer in India and this weather isnt helping things. I heard Sydney was about 20C today. The only thing in Sydney I like.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

rahulm wrote:
vish_mulay wrote:Second that! If not for the seasonal migraines of SHQ, we will be in Melbourne in heart beat! Other 2 places I really love are Bega and Jervis bay. I frequently drive to Jervis for summer weekends. Great place for snorkelling, beach and bbq! Bega is stunning esp. in autumn I would love to settle there if I can find job!

You can always make Cheese and pick berries. :rotfl:

Yes, Jarvis is stunning. I often drive my campervan there and evey where else.
:rotfl: Yes I can pick berries and role few herbal joints!
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Very nice. Now you made me home sick. I want to come back.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

It's good to see the desi Aussies coming out of the wood work and making our presence felt in a forum dominated by resident Indians and Indian Americans.

In the Melbourne cold guys and girls look very chic with the jackets, brollies and scarves. Nice time for a sticky date pudding and a latte on Lygon street where the men wait staff will openly and harmlessly flirt with your SHQ or GHQ and the pretty Italian girls will simply ignore you. It's all so much fun and SHQ and GHQ love the Italian attention.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Aarvee wrote:It was 4C this morning in Western suburbs of Melb. Feel like temp was 1C. Although I love Melbourne, I just got back from 6 weeks of summer in India and this weather isnt helping things. I heard Sydney was about 20C today. The only thing in Sydney I like.
I was in Frankston over the weekend. It was crispy cold! Weather is the only good thing about Sydney! Alas it comes with all other warts!
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

rahulm wrote:Very nice. Now you made me home sick. I want to come back.
When you are back, lets arrange a BRF down-under meet. We always start and somehow never arrange one. I will take initiative this time. Just let me know.
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

@vish_mulay

You in VIC ? I guess rahulm is in NSW.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Nope I am in Sydney. I think most of us are in Sydney Melbourne area. We can meet where it will be convenient to all.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Rahul saar.....sorry for the late reply been a bit awol!

I tried calling you a few times but i think you were in desh! You know how we talked about moving to Deutschland we....yeah it happenend. Left Australia after nearly 15 years and I am missing Melbourne bad! In Stuttgart now. Please drop me a line on hotmail or else i will whatts app!
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

vish_mulay wrote:Nope I am in Sydney. I think most of us are in Sydney Melbourne area. We can meet where it will be convenient to all.
Sure.

saw your reply that you were in Frankston, hence the assumption.
Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

I am in Sydney too. Lets plan a winter meet. How about mid July? Who knows what may materialise beside jihad
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://thediplomat.com/2017/06/indian-w ... -exercise/
Three Indian warships arrived in the port city of Freemantle in Western Australia on June 13 to participate in a week-long naval exercise off the Western Australian coast.

The so-called Exercise Australia-India (AUSINDEX) is the first-ever bilateral military exercise in Australian waters involving the Indian Navy and Royal Australian Navy and aims to develop “a deeper understanding and cooperation between the two navies,” according to an Australian Department of Defense statement.

As my colleague Ankit Panda pointed out last month, this exercise will be the second overall bilateral naval drill between the two countries, following the first-ever AUSINDEX held in the Bay of Bengal in 2015. Both countries have also held a number of other military drills over the years.
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

vish_mulay wrote:Nope I am in Sydney. I think most of us are in Sydney Melbourne area. We can meet where it will be convenient to all.
Hi, saw your post about MSL role from a couple of months ago. Any way I can get in touch with you? I can't send private messages here yet.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

sigh rahul

dont remind me of Newton, surry hills, crows nest , glebe pointetc

my old haunts
Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

Australians are not closet greenies. They are full,blown greeneis.

Opposition to Adani has nothing to with his origins. At least that's my view. The government/Adani may eventually win but it will be a long drawn affair.

There are always wheels within wheels in deal of this size. The Chinese do play their cards better.
Every day Aussies are totally non-political and in your face so easy to deal with them if you are open minded and straight. The only politics one sees may be in corporates with English bosses, though less than in some other global companies. This is one of the reasons the aussies dont likes the pommies (brits) because of their stiff upper lips and closed hearts. The aussie brashness can be misconstrued as racism by new migrants, not that racism doesn't exist, but its now mostly in bogan and white areas of upper QLD
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Australia shipped the first consignment of natural uranium to fuel Indian power reactors.

This is big news.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Aarvee wrote:
Hi, saw your post about MSL role from a couple of months ago. Any way I can get in touch with you? I can't send private messages here yet.
Time bound let me know when you read it
Last edited by vish_mulay on 21 Jul 2017 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

What a thread! Ppl actually trying to outdo each other being nice. For a moment I thought I was in PakDefnDolts :)

No insult intended. Just very nice to read this thread. I have not been to Kangaroostan yet. Come to think of it I have never been south of Colombo, SL. Do u guys feel the blood rush into your head from standing upside down? (sorry mate!)
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

I can say something if you don't mind ulanbhatora saar. Your post are more aussi than aussi. You will fit very well here! :D
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Mighty nice, mite! Always admired their cricketers, mainly because they beat the pakistan out of the British. Lindwall was school hero, tried to bowl like him (at least as imagined, since there were no YouTube videos then). Miller was the ultimate all-rounder. Famous quote:
Pressure? Batting against fast bowlers is not pressure. Pressure is when you realize that there is a Messerchmitt 109 on your tail and you have seconds to live.
Ian Chappell was awesome. So was Dennis Lillee.
More recently, Glenn McGrath, the ultimate smooth-action fast bowler. Recent ones have been nasty and mean, though. Glad to see India beat them.
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

vish_mulay wrote:
Aarvee wrote:
Time bound let me know when you read it.
done, you can delete
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Ta done