Nepal and Bhutan News and discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Re: Nepal and Bhutan News and discussion

Post by Cyrano »

What is with all this loose bravado talk without any analysis or insight? If you just want to spout shallow invective why not go to ToI_let paper's comments section?
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

KJo wrote:
KL Dubey wrote:
We can, and we have done trials of that in the past. In fact, the blockade done by Modi Sarkar was extremely effective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_blockade
I was specifically replying to the other poster about their supposition that India is not in a position to shut down things in Nepal.

Our Nepal policy has been good in the last 5 years, it hasn't been a disaster. But we need to move to the next level.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

This thread could do with some deeper analysis of Nepal, rather than treat it as a homogeneous entity. For example:

- Ethnic and regional differences/disputes: As I understand, there are several.

- Administrative framework. From what I read, this is a joke. Reorganizations happen randomly. Provinces and districts disappear and appear. At the moment, 3 of the 7 provinces don't even have names, they are just referred to by number.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

KL Dubey wrote:

KL Dubey wrote:

We can, and we have done trials of that in the past. In fact, the blockade done by Modi Sarkar was extremely effective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Nepal_blockade
I was specifically replying to the other poster about their supposition that India is not in a position to shut down things in Nepal.

Our Nepal policy has been good in the last 5 years, it hasn't been a disaster. But we need to move to the next level.
Blockade had the opposite effect. Timing of it was bad too, which occurred right after major earthquakes. Read this article: Driven by India into China’s arms, is Nepal the new Sri Lanka?
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

A good case study for India on how China creates leverage with many countries encircling India.

What is China doing in Bangladesh & Myanmar now?

What is India doing in Chinese neighbourhoods?
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

sudarshan wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ ... ia-reports

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chin ... -ljrb69vnt

Two reports above, saying "tunnel under consideration." And one saying "nice try," below.

no-china-isnt-going-to-build-a-tunnel-under-everest

Now that I think about it, the "nice try" article makes more sense. I had naively assumed that the tunnel would be at sea level, of course it isn't going to be, the land on both sides is already way above sea level, working at that height is a nightmare.
Every mountain range has many “passes” that are navigable and used by people for centuries. It is costly to build modern roads in the mountains, but hey we are talking about Chinese here. They are building everywhere with very “generous loans” even if it means host nation can’t hope to pay it back. More favors to extract down the road.

From what I have heard, there are four or five road projects underway connecting China-Tibet to Nepal under the Belt-and-Road initiative. A railway line to Kathmandu too.
Last edited by srai on 14 Jun 2020 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

somdev wrote:The need of the hour is to re-establish Monarchy in Nepal and reactivate the Narayanhity palace. We still have some Rana - Shah bloodline in India. The Nepalese Army still feel strongly for the Royal family. My choice of Sovereign is Devyani Rana.
No need of the hour is proper Democracy in Nepal. Like Maldives, there should be proper Nepali parties than foreign NGO slaves. The current fellows in Nepal are deep in bed with the Indian Left and INC. This is borne in names of the parties and they have same behaviour.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^

In this day and age, the time of monarchies is over. Democracies have taken over.

To win influence, learn from the Chinese. Theirs is more purely focused on commercial FDI (at least on the surface) without internal political meddling. They are winning goodwill of people while behind trapping governments with “debt” leverage. All these infrastructure projects, Chinese use their own workforce; so the investment money is circulating within for a large part. More inroads for Chinese goods and services.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

^^^We have and to some extent continue to imbibe our kids with 'Supremacy' over the neighbours. I am not saying that we are 'racist' but to a beholder that is what it would appear.
Lets take the example of the Nepali people: (I can say this from my childhood memories and probably still continues) they have stereotyped as Gurkhas/nightwatchman/tea plantation workers in the north and if someone has lived in Mumbai for some time, then they would imagine the womenfolk in Flesh trade. And some extent we all carry this image of Nepalis and the subsequent dealing with them is with a subconscious sense of superiority.
Check that with the response to Bangladeshis almost similar attitude.
Whey even the response to some of the North-West people in the south of Vindhyas borders on racism to say the least.
What do you expect the reverse reaction from them especially the growing kids?? The scars will be carried on for ever!!
We have two effective mediums: IPL and Bollywood. They should be used to the utmost effect to capture the imagination of the kids in these regions. If we do that then half the battle is won!!
Emulating Chinese methods?? I am not sure how that would pan out.
It will be a long battle but we should start and find more Lachimane and Manisha Koirala's
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

^^ Just blaming the commies for all the ill will is not right.
Yes they deserve a fair share but all that the commies do is use the anti India feelings of the locals.
It is not just the guns that is winning elections for the commies in Nepal is it???
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

srai wrote:^^^

In this day and age, the time of monarchies is over. Democracies have taken over.

To win influence, learn from the Chinese. Theirs is more purely focused on commercial FDI (at least on the surface) without internal political meddling. They are winning goodwill of people while behind trapping governments with “debt” leverage. All these infrastructure projects, Chinese use their own workforce; so the investment money is circulating within for a large part. More inroads for Chinese goods and services.
also wholesale bribing of bureaucrats and politicians
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
In the developing countries, one can’t get anything government-related done unless there’s some grease palming under the table.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
Once abolished that’s the end of it.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

somdev wrote:
srai wrote:^^^

Constitutional monarchy has space for flourishing liberal democracy specially when the transition is nascent from absolute to a democratic setup (e.g., longstanding democracies like Britain, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark etc.) .... what exists in Nepal is not liberal democracy but 'people's democracy' i.e., anarchy and communist rule in some form!

Gyanendra wanted to transition from absolute monarchy to constitutional monarchy but could not when Maoists usurped power with their gun culture and funded by PRC!
It was not just Chinese but international NGO's and same forces which run INC and Indian Left. BIF forces were/are at play. FOr BIF forces India-Nepal unity is a problem- they are neck deep with Nepalese Communists and Nepal Congress- who in turn have good relations with the Chinese Communist party.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Nepal parliament approves new map, India’s defence expert smells China’s role
The lower house of Nepal’s parliament approved a new map of the country. The map includes strategic territories disputed with India. It features Indian areas of Lipulekh, Kalapani and Limpiyadhura. India rejected the map arguing that the addition is not based on historical fact or evidence. Former Brigadier of Indian Army and defence expert S.K. Chatterjee reacted over the step taken by Nepal.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Could somebody please help me with a data point. I understand that Nepal pays India for petroleum product in Nepali Rupees. Is this true?
Mahesh_R
BRFite

Post by Mahesh_R »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 377340.cms
India-Nepal border posts missing: SSB
Should we act aggressively and send a reminder to others that we are not a pushover or will it back fire ?

Worry is we might be looking like a weak state can't be strong even to a tiny neighbor who is no match to us and also to the outside world including general public here who think govt is not acting tough ...
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Lisa wrote:Could somebody please help me with a data point. I understand that Nepal pays India for petroleum product in Nepali Rupees. Is this true?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepalese_rupee
Pegged with
India Indian rupee (₹) (INR)

Pegged by
₹1 = रु1.6000 (buy)
₹1 = रु1.6015 (sell)
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Mahesh_R wrote:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 377340.cms
India-Nepal border posts missing: SSB
Should we act aggressively and send a reminder to others that we are not a pushover or will it back fire ?

Worry is we might be looking like a weak state can't be strong even to a tiny neighbor who is no match to us and also to the outside world including general public here who think govt is not acting tough ...
Since they already passed the new map through their parliament making their position somewhat official, I think there needs to be some response. Imo a good way would be to table a bill to close our borders and introduce visa requirement for Nepalese along with removal of any other freebies that are being offered.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

m_saini wrote: Imo a good way would be to table a bill to close our borders and introduce visa requirement for Nepalese along with removal of any other freebies that are being offered.
It may be also prudent to revise the plans on Army recruitments as well. Indian Army still do have a considerable number of Gorkha battalions. How the future recruitments happen, and long term strategy to retain these units all needs to be thought about. All said and done it would be risky to have a large troop who are from other countries who would be like 'mercenaries'.
m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

Sachin wrote: It may be also prudent to revise the plans on Army recruitments as well. Indian Army still do have a considerable number of Gorkha battalions. How the future recruitments happen, and long term strategy to retain these units all needs to be thought about. All said and done it would be risky to have a large troop who are from other countries who would be like 'mercenaries'.
Reading their Wiki page it's seems such a waste to even consider the future viability of Gorkha regiments. Hope the IA have already thought about such a situation and things don't come down to this. Especially since there is a specific Point about this in the Tripartite Agreement.
Gurkhas are fully integrated into the Army to which they are recruited and under no circumstances are they to be considered mercenaries.
Can't believe we let our relations deteriorate to present levels.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

Sachin wrote:
m_saini wrote: Imo a good way would be to table a bill to close our borders and introduce visa requirement for Nepalese along with removal of any other freebies that are being offered.
It may be also prudent to revise the plans on Army recruitments as well. Indian Army still do have a considerable number of Gorkha battalions. How the future recruitments happen, and long term strategy to retain these units all needs to be thought about. All said and done it would be risky to have a large troop who are from other countries who would be like 'mercenaries'.
That is not a step in the direction of integration.

The better step would be to announce that our plan is to integrate Nepal with India, and therefore any Nepali wishing any form of trade, employment, or other interaction with India must apply for Indian citizenship at the border. They will get all benefits of citizenship. Otherwise, no admission to India. No Nepali can even trade with India. Remember, Nepal depends on a few hundred fuel trucks per day from India.

There will be miles long queues at the border.

Either the Nepali regime will capitulate, or if they resort to atrocities against newly minted Indian citizens, India will have every right to march in.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Rsatchi wrote:^^^We have and to some extent continue to imbibe our kids with 'Supremacy' over the neighbours. I am not saying that we are 'racist' but to a beholder that is what it would appear.
Lets take the example of the Nepali people:............................
It will be a long battle but we should start and find more Lachimane and Manisha Koirala's

No sir, absolutely not. We don't need more Manisha Koiralas in Desh. She is a Traitor & a bunch of ungrateful persons.
In fact it wouldn't be wrong to term Manisha Koirala & her ilk as parasites.

Twitter
Manisha Koirala✔ @mkoirala
Thank you for keeping the dignity of our small nation..we all are looking forward for a peaceful and respectful dialogue between all three great nations now https://twitter.com/PradeepgyawaliK/sta ... 5731759104

Pradeep Gyawali ✔ @PradeepgyawaliK
लिम्पियाधुरा, लिपुलेक र कालापानीसहितका भूभाग समेट्दै ७ प्रदेश, ७७ जिल्ला र ७५३ स्थानीय तहको प्रशासनिक विभाजन खुल्ने गरी नेपालको नक्सा प्रकाशित गर्ने मन्त्रिपरिषदको निर्णय । आधिकारिक नक्सा भूमिव्यवस्था मन्त्रालयले छिटै सार्वजनिक गर्दैछ ।
25K 9:18 PM - May 18, 2020

Manisha Koirala supports Nepal map showing Kalapani and Lipulekh as its territory
UNNATI SHARMA 19 May, 2020 2:07 pm IST

https://theprint.in/india/manisha-koira ... ry/424830/

Manisha Koirala's Tweet Supporting Nepal's Controversial Map Gets Strong Reaction Online
LAST UPDATED: MAY 21, 2020, 8:27 PM IST

https://www.news18.com/news/movies/mani ... 29669.html
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

More on Manisha Koirala subject.
Simply amazing how much thankless & ungrateful a person be.

Manisha Koirala brings in China to support new Nepal map. Governor Swaraj tells her a story
Raya Ghosh , New Delhi, May 21, 2020 UPDATED: May 21, 2020 12:05 IST
Swaraj Kaushal, criminal lawyer and husband of former External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, responded to Manisha Koirala in a series of cutting tweets after Koirala's favourable reaction to Nepal's new political map amid its border dispute with India. Kaushal, the former Governor of Mizoram, reminded Manisha of the bond between India and Nepal, and why she should not have brought in China.......................

See Governor Swaraj's series of tweets here:

I can't argue with you my child @mkoirala. I have always treated you as my daughter. When you invited us for the premiere of 1942-a Love story, I did not stay for the film. Yes, @sushmaswaraj watched the film and you had Bansuri in your lap./1

— governorswaraj (@governorswaraj) May 20, 2020

That's just 27 years back. In 1977 and onwards, you were in South Extension attending APJ School in Saket. Your father Prakash Koirala is like my brother and your mother Sushma Koirala has been a sister in law and a friend. We have seen difficult situations together. /2

I was with your grandfather B.P.Koirala the day AIIMS diagnosed his cancer. I remember BP telling me "this is an advanced stage of cancer and I have just six months to live." I was upset. But there was no sign of despair on his face. /3

I know the glorious traditions of your family. Your grandfather BP Koirala, his brother also named BP Koirala, and then youngest brother GP Koirala - all three brothers became Prime Ministers of Nepal. Your aunt and my friend Shailaja Acharya was Dy Prime Minister of Nepal. /4

I also know how much did your family struggle. Your grandfather BP was in jail for 18 years. His life was spared because Nepal being a Hindu state would not hang a Brahmin. At the age of 26, your aunt Shailaja (BP's sister's daughter) had suffered eight years in jail. /5

Now this is for Prakash Koirala. Who was with Nepali Congress in their struggle. I think all of us. JP, Lohia, Chandrashekharji, George Fernandes. Of them, Chandrashekharji did the most. In 1973, I was also in Nepal for many weeks and reached the inner bailey of the palace. /6

We were with you in your struggle for democracy. There was nothing for India or Indians. Once you settled with the King, there was nothing that we wanted. When we learnt of your views as an MP, we were upset. But we thought these were compulsions of Nepali politics./7

Indians should know that there was a conspiracy to end the only Hindu state in the world. They collaborated with Maoists. They hosted Prachand and Babu Ram Battarai in safe houses here.They destroyed the only Hindu state. Their mission was complete. /8

The result was that communists are using China against India. Or China is using communists against India. The result is that traditionally China's border with India was up to the Himalayas. Now China's border with India is at Birgunj. /9

India may have grievances with Nepal or Nepal may have serious issues with India. That's between India and Nepal. How do you bring in China ? That's bad for us. And that's not good for Nepal either. /10

When you bring in China, you are destroying thousands of years old bonds with us. You are destroying our common heritage. Most importantly, you are reducing your own position as a sovereign country as well. /11

India Today Link
https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-news ... 2020-05-21
greatde
BRFite

Post by greatde »

Manisha Koirala is not an issue, she is staying true to her roots. Don’t we want the same thing for our Indians living or earning overseas?

But unlike Manisha, we have many digested Indians overseas.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I think this is in a way good, Nepal Government should act so unreasonably that the Nepalese can see their stupidity. I just hope some Chinese brats also try and throw some tantrums in Nepal.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

srai wrote:
Lisa wrote:Could somebody please help me with a data point. I understand that Nepal pays India for petroleum product in Nepali Rupees. Is this true?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepalese_rupee
Pegged with
India Indian rupee (₹) (INR)

Pegged by
₹1 = रु1.6000 (buy)
₹1 = रु1.6015 (sell)
I thank you but that is not what I needed. Does India spend US Dollars and then sell that petroleum to Nepal who pays in Nepali Rupees? I other words, is it true that Indian foreign exchange is used to subsidise Nepali needs?
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^
You can probably Google around. I doubt Indian FE is used for subsidizing another country’s imports. Fair market price in the agreed currency.
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

https://in.nepalembassy.gov.np/trade-and-commerce/
Bilateral trade takes place generally in Indian rupees, but Nepal’s central bank maintains a list of items that can be imported from India in dollars. Currently, there are about 100 items on the list. Indian rupee is convertible in all banks and financial institutions in Nepal. The exchange rate has been maintained at NRs. 1.6 per Indian rupee. The new provision of trade treaty allows the facilities to the importers irrespective of the currency (US $ or IC) used for buying the goods from India.
https://www.tepc.gov.np/pages/imports-transit-procedure
Purchases from India are normally paid for in Indian Rupees since the currency is fully convertible in Nepal. When Indian suppliers sell their products to Nepalese importers, Indian excise duty must be paid and included in the sale price by the supplier. The rate of excise duty varies widely from product to product. However, if payment is made in hard currency, the goods are exempted from payment of excise duty in India, i. e. the supplier does not have to charge it.

Government of Nepal also allows imports of specified products from India with payment in foreign currency. The Nepal Rastra Bank (NRB) currently enlists 29 such products (Annex 1) for importation from India by Nepalese industries against payment in foreign currency.
Imports from India which may be paid for in convertible foreign currency

All industrial chemicals (except chemical used for making medicine for mankind) HS 28.
Carbon black HS 28.03.
Palm stearin DFA and palm kernel DFA HS 3823.19.
Natural rubber HS 40.01.
Synthetic rubber HS 40.02.
Silk yarn HS 50.04 and 50.05.
Woollen yam (except hosiery yarn) HS 51.06, 51.07 and 51.08
Cotton HS 52.01.
Polyester partially oriented yarn (POY) HS 5402.42.
Manmade artificial fibre HS Chapter 55, 55.01 to 55.07(excluding 55.05).
Polyester fibre HS 5503.20.
Viscose rayon (fibre) HS 5504.10.00.
Tyre cord fabric HS 59.02.
Sponge iron HS 7203.90.
Mild steel scrap HS 7204.49.
Iron (ingot) HS 72.06.
Mild steel billets HS 72.07.
Hot rolled sheet in coil HS 7208.27, 7208.36, 7208.37, 7208.38, 7208.39,7208.51 & 7208.52.
Cold rolled sheet in Coil HS 7209.15, 7209.16, 7209.17 & 7209.18.
Tin plate HS 7210.12.
Mild steel wire rod in coil HS 7213.91.10.
Bead wire (copper coated) HS 7217.20, HS 7217.30 and 7217.90.
Steel bloom HS 7218.99.
Steel plate HS 72.19.
Aluminum ingot billet HS 76.01.
Aluminum rod in coil HS 76.04 and 76.05
All machinery, equipment (except spare parts) HS Chapter 84.
Electric motor, generating set HS 85.01 and 85.02.
Fabrics for use as raw materials by the readymade garments industries up to 50 percent of their export earnings.*

Note: * The import of fabrics from India under hard currency payment system was allowed only from 2051.1.1 (Mid-April 1994). Then, such imports were permitted up to 30% of export earnings.
Also, unrelated,
However, Indians aren't allowed to own land-properties or work in government institutions in Nepal, while Nepalese nationals in India are allowed to work in Indian government institutions (except in some states and some civil services the IFS, IAS, and IPS).[1] After years of dissatisfaction by the Nepalese government, India in 2014, agreed to revise and adjust the treaty to reflect the current realities.[2] However, the modality of adjustment hasn't been made clear by either side.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India%E2% ... ions#Trade
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Ricky_v

Thank you very much.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Nepal schools make Mandarin compulsory after China offers to pay teachers' salaries
PTI | Updated: Jun 15, 2019, 15:04 IST

KATHMANDU: A Chinese government's proposal of covering salaries of teachers in Nepal who teach Mandarin have prompted many private schools in the Himalayan nation to make it mandatory for students to learn the language, according to a media report.
The move came at a time when the Chinese involvement in Nepal is surging, largely on the back of Beijing's ambitious Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), a project boycotted by India as it comprises the $60 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) being laid through the Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
Many schools across Nepal have made it mandatory for students to learn Chinese lured by the Chinese government's offer to cover salaries of teachers who teach Mandarin, the Himalayan Times reported.

Full TOI Article Link here ..............

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 799114.cms
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Nepal-India ties shouldn't deteriorate; China no substitute to India: Senior Nepali economist
BY PTI | UPDATED: JUN 15, 2020, 02.06 PM IST

Kathmandu: Nepal-India relationship should not deteriorate over the border row as the landlocked country is dependent on its southern neighbour for all the essential items and it would be unwise to consider China as an "alternative", a leading Nepali economist said on Monday.
"Nepal is not only a landlocked country, but also India locked as it is surrounded by India from the three sides. The situation will be vulnerable. If India retaliates, it will have a huge economic impact on the country," said Pandey, who has been working on issues of international trade and economic development for over 20 years.
Nepal is dependent on India for the supply of essential goods, said the economist, who was one of the negotiators for Nepal's accession negotiation for the World Trade Organisation membership.

"Our imports from India account for two-third whereas that from China is just 14 per cent," Pandey, a member of Nepal's National Planning Commission, said, adding that China cannot be an alternative to India as far as the supply of essentials are concerned.

"We have trading points from Mechi in the east to Mahakali in the west with India, but with the northern neighbour, we only have a few transit points and that also lack infrastructure," he said.

Pandey said that Nepal's nearest access to sea from the north is 4,000 kms, which is three times more than the one it is having from the Indian side in Kolkata.

"So, our third country trade is being conducted mainly through the southern route," he said.

"As far as our exports are concerned, India receives 60 per cent of our total exports whereas China receives only two per cent.

"In remittances, we receive around 15 per cent of the total remittances from India and if we compare it with the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), it comes around 4-5 per cent," Pandey said.
However, Nepal is also one of the largest sources of remittances for India, he said.

According to a 2016 World Bank report, Nepal is on the tenth position in the list of countries sending remittances to India, which is on par with the US and Canada, he said.

According to the Nepal Rastra Bank, the country's central bank received a total of 304.97 billion Nepali rupees or USD 2.54 billion remittance in 2019.

India accounts for the 14.2 per cent remittances to Nepal, securing the second position after the Gulf countries.

Nepal has so far received 43.16 billion Nepali rupees (USD 356.69 million) remittance from India this year.

In 2015, India's relations with Nepal came under severe strain following the economic blockade.

Madhesis, mostly of Indian-origin, had launched a six-month-long agitation during K P Sharma Oli's premiership, from September 2015 to February last year, in which more than 50 people were killed.

The agitation crippled Nepal's economy as supplies from India were blocked.

Since then, China has been active in Nepal and has invested hugely, helping the landlocked country in laying new roads including connecting it to Tibet for the transportation of petroleum and other essential products, ostensibly to help Kathmandu cut dependence on India.

China is also planning to lay a strategic railway network connecting Kathmandu and Shigatse in Tibet where it would join an existing railway line to Lhasa, Tibet's capital. China has also offered Nepal four ports for shipment of goods to the country which previously had to rely heavily on routes through India.

Nepal shares a border of over 1,850 km with five Indian states -- Sikkim, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.

According to the official data, nearly eight million Nepalese citizens live and work in India. The two countries also have solid defence and trade ties. About 32,000 Gorkha soldiers from Nepal are serving in the Indian Army.

The Economic Times Link

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 383133.cms
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Mollick.R wrote:Nepal-India ties shouldn't deteriorate; China no substitute to India: Senior Nepali economist
BY PTI | UPDATED: JUN 15, 2020, 02.06 PM IST

Kathmandu: Nepal-India relationship should not deteriorate over the border row as the landlocked country is dependent on its southern neighbour for all the essential items and it would be unwise to consider China as an "alternative", a leading Nepali economist said on Monday.
"Nepal is not only a landlocked country, but also India locked as it is surrounded by India from the three sides. The situation will be vulnerable. If India retaliates, it will have a huge economic impact on the country," said Pandey, who has been working on issues of international trade and economic development for over 20 years.
Nepal is dependent on India for the supply of essential goods, said the economist, who was one of the negotiators for Nepal's accession negotiation for the World Trade Organisation membership.

"Our imports from India account for two-third whereas that from China is just 14 per cent," Pandey, a member of Nepal's National Planning Commission, said, adding that China cannot be an alternative to India as far as the supply of essentials are concerned.

"We have trading points from Mechi in the east to Mahakali in the west with India, but with the northern neighbour, we only have a few transit points and that also lack infrastructure," he said.

Pandey said that Nepal's nearest access to sea from the north is 4,000 kms, which is three times more than the one it is having from the Indian side in Kolkata.

"So, our third country trade is being conducted mainly through the southern route," he said.

"As far as our exports are concerned, India receives 60 per cent of our total exports whereas China receives only two per cent.

"In remittances, we receive around 15 per cent of the total remittances from India and if we compare it with the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), it comes around 4-5 per cent," Pandey said.
However, Nepal is also one of the largest sources of remittances for India, he said.

According to a 2016 World Bank report, Nepal is on the tenth position in the list of countries sending remittances to India, which is on par with the US and Canada, he said.

According to the Nepal Rastra Bank, the country's central bank received a total of 304.97 billion Nepali rupees or USD 2.54 billion remittance in 2019.

India accounts for the 14.2 per cent remittances to Nepal, securing the second position after the Gulf countries.

Nepal has so far received 43.16 billion Nepali rupees (USD 356.69 million) remittance from India this year.

In 2015, India's relations with Nepal came under severe strain following the economic blockade.

Madhesis, mostly of Indian-origin, had launched a six-month-long agitation during K P Sharma Oli's premiership, from September 2015 to February last year, in which more than 50 people were killed.

The agitation crippled Nepal's economy as supplies from India were blocked.

Since then, China has been active in Nepal and has invested hugely, helping the landlocked country in laying new roads including connecting it to Tibet for the transportation of petroleum and other essential products, ostensibly to help Kathmandu cut dependence on India.

China is also planning to lay a strategic railway network connecting Kathmandu and Shigatse in Tibet where it would join an existing railway line to Lhasa, Tibet's capital. China has also offered Nepal four ports for shipment of goods to the country which previously had to rely heavily on routes through India.

Nepal shares a border of over 1,850 km with five Indian states -- Sikkim, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.

According to the official data, nearly eight million Nepalese citizens live and work in India. The two countries also have solid defence and trade ties. About 32,000 Gorkha soldiers from Nepal are serving in the Indian Army.

The Economic Times Link

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 383133.cms
Mollickji:
Agreed that 'One rotten apple can spoil the whole basket' but I would still standby with : We need to use the soft power more and get the younger generation onto our side.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

After straining India ties, Nepal looks to reject US aid.
After snubbing India, Nepal is under pressure from Beijing to reject an American grant for an infrastructure project—a step that would strain its ties with Washington.

A Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) grant from the US, agreed upon in 2017, has widened the split in the ruling Nepal Communist Party (NCP) and China is reportedly playing spoilsport, ET has learnt.

The US committed to $500 m against a $130 m contribution from Nepal for a power transmission line and the upgrade of 300 km of roads in Nepal. The NCP government, led by PM KP Sharma Oli, is divided over a US promise of aid since it risks damaging ties with China, informed sources told ET from Kathmandu.

The opponents of the MCC grant argue that the US is part of a US Indo-Pacific Strategy to limit Chinese influence in the region. They say accepting the MCC would undermine Nepalese sovereignty by drawing the country into Washington’s orbit and upset China.

“Once a close ally of India, Oli is currently interested in consolidating his power and therefore adopting tougher postures against India. This is typical of a section of ruling elite of Nepal that wants to benefit at the cost of the citizens,” quipped a Nepal watcher, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

The US-Nepal arrangement needs Parliamentary approval by June 30. But the Nepali Parliament is yet to endorse it owing to the differences in the ruling NCP. Senior party leaders Pushpa Kamal Dahal, aka Prachanda, JN Khanal, Madhav Kumar Nepal and Bhim Rawal are opposed to the US grant.

Finance Minister Yubaraj Khatiwada faced considerable heat from within his own party after he incorporated the MCC grant in the new budget before its parliamentary endorsement. Responding to criticism, Khatiwada had recently said “If we cancel the contract, it will affect our ties with America, as well as the larger international aid to Nepal.
China is hell bent on making a North Korea out of Nepal.
If India imposes a complete blockade including disallowing airlinks over-flying its territories how long before there is a complete collapse in Nepal? The communist stooges would like nothing better and like Kim in North Korea would only grow more powerful with support from China while the public will suffer. These chinese stooges need to be taken out.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Vips wrote: China is hell bent on making a North Korea out of Nepal.
If India imposes a complete blockade including disallowing airlinks over-flying its territories how long before there is a complete collapse in Nepal? The communist stooges would like nothing better and like Kim in North Korea would only grow more powerful with support from China while the public will suffer. These chinese stooges need to be taken out.
Sounds like mighty US intelligent networks have many jobs to take care of to prove to India that they mean business when it comes to China. US had no issues in the past going after India to continue to reassure Chinese.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Rsatchi

Agreed that 'One rotten apple can spoil the whole basket' but I would still standby with : We need to use the soft power more and get the younger generation onto our side.
India has a lot of soft power for positive mutual influence. Blockades and other harsh punitive measures only cause suffering of the common folks turning public sentiments towards the alternative. Opposite of long-term goals with fellow neighbors.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

darshan wrote:
Vips wrote: China is hell bent on making a North Korea out of Nepal.
Sounds like mighty US intelligent networks have many jobs to take care of to prove to India that they mean business when it comes to China. US had no issues in the past going after India to continue to reassure Chinese.
Either way its was no skin of US nose(did not effect US strategic interest). Can we say the something for India? For us it a case of clear and present danger.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Vips wrote:
darshan wrote: Sounds like mighty US intelligent networks have many jobs to take care of to prove to India that they mean business when it comes to China. US had no issues in the past going after India to continue to reassure Chinese.
Either way its was no skin of US nose(did not effect US strategic interest). Can we say the something for India? For us it a case of clear and present danger.
No doubt that it's a problem for India and India needs to handle it. India also need to have litmus tests ready for US to ascertain their intentions in regards to China. I wonder if US EJ network rolls with Chinese commies in Nepal.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

As I said before, trying to engage with the Nepali commie sarkar and the anti-India elite is a waste of time. Punitive measures (like blockades) can be effective tactical tools to be used as needed, but only with integration as the objective.

India should bring a strong and decisive integrationist response which directly reaches out to the common Nepali people, completely bypassing the commie goremint and the elites.

1) Declare "achhe din aa rahe hain" for the aam aadmi of Nepal.

2) Officially de-recognize Nepal as a sovereign nation, with the intent to integrate peacefully and for the benefit of the Nepali people.

3) Close (or completely ignore) Nepali embassy/consulates and any other goremint outfits operating in India. Any Nepali official dealing with India should be asked to apply for an Indian passport.

4) Keep the border completely "open", with the following conditions:

- Declare all Nepalis as eligible for Indian citizenship pending application for citizenship at the border or within India

- Declare that trade/employment etc with (the rest of India) will be restricted to those who have obtained Indian citizenship

5) Promise all rights and benefits that Indians are currently getting (insurance, DBT, gas cylinder, SC/ST/OBC reservations, etc etc)

6) Declare the Nepali army and police as parts of Indian army and police forces. Promise the same benefits, salary etc.

7) Promise to resolve all regional disputes/statehood/linguistic demands within 6 months, and provide blueprint for re-organization of Nepal into Indian states and UTs.

8) Simply start moving in.

I am not on Twitter, but please feel free to tweet to any concerned India goremint leaders if you think this makes sense.