Bangladesh News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Re: Bangladesh News and Discussion

Post by Tuvaluan »

India can deal with Canada if the USA and the "west" stop pushing islamists as legitimate stakeholders in BD democracy - that is the root of the problem here. Sheikh Hasina has the situation under control and Khaleda Zia needs to be taken out of Bangladesh politics for BD's own good -- but what we need to to ensure is eliminating US interference and support for KZ and all the islamist thugs in the neighbourhood -- which it does in the name of providing democratic space to islamists, weirdly.

Blaming islam under these circumstances is a poor reading of the situation -- India should put its good relations with the KZ regime to good use and solve long standing issues. Secondly, both India and BD need to work together and ensure that USA is kept out of the region, since US has no good intentions, as we can see from its support to the pakis, to the detriment of its neighbours...one step at a time seems like a good rule of thumb, especially BD government is quite reasonable unlike shitland to India's west.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Tuvaluan wrote:India can deal with Canada if the USA and the "west" stop pushing islamists as legitimate stakeholders in BD democracy - that is the root of the problem here. Sheikh Hasina has the situation under control and Khaleda Zia needs to be taken out of Bangladesh politics for BD's own good -- but what we need to to ensure is eliminating US interference and support for KZ and all the islamist thugs in the neighbourhood -- which it does in the name of providing democratic space to islamists, weirdly.

Blaming islam under these circumstances is a poor reading of the situation -- India should put its good relations with the KZ regime to good use and solve long standing issues. Secondly, both India and BD need to work together and ensure that USA is kept out of the region, since US has no good intentions, as we can see from its support to the pakis, to the detriment of its neighbours...one step at a time seems like a good rule of thumb, especially BD government is quite reasonable unlike shitland to India's west.
Can you please give supporting data for anything you said above instead of just presenting what you "think" it is?

Who are persecuting BD Hindus, which is happening irrespective of who is in power? If you call it as SH's incompetence, then why backing her?

8o Lakh missing Hindus means BD Muslims dropped at least 20-30 nukes on Hindu civilization.

Who is responsible for persecution of Hindus in BD, SH or KZ or Islam?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Y. Kanan wrote:A_Gupta, RoyG - you're either shockingly naive or willfully ignorant about the true nature of Islamic society.
I've been studying Islam since 1990, and am sufficiently sophisticated to know about what is historically "inevitable" versus "possible".

But regardless of my state of knowledge, there's a billion people to deal with who are not going to vanish suddenly, and your suggested method of dealing with them will not work.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

A_Gupta wrote:
Y. Kanan wrote:A_Gupta, RoyG - you're either shockingly naive or willfully ignorant about the true nature of Islamic society.
I've been studying Islam since 1990, and am sufficiently sophisticated to know about what is historically "inevitable" versus "possible".

But regardless of my state of knowledge, there's a billion people to deal with who are not going to vanish suddenly, and your suggested method of dealing with them will not work.
Reported this post to moderators.

It's simply distortion (of Richard Fox Young kind) of others posts to say any criticism of Islam is calling for genocide of billion Muslims.

Muslims existed even before Islam. They will live free, happy, peaceful and prosperous lives even after Islam.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Permanent, unconditional hostility cannot and will not work. As to the demographic issues, I wrote this in 1991:

Code: Select all

Some population data:
( please take these to be indicative only; for all
the caveats on the data please refer to the original publications )

Undivided India
Percent of Total Population in Each Religion 1881-1941   

Hindu    Muslim   

1881              78.09    19.97                                         
1891              74.24    20.41
1901              72.87    21.88
1911              71.68    22.39
1921              70.73    23.23
1931              70.67    23.49
1941              69.46    24.28   [1]                                                            

[2] 
           Millions (1988 est.)     Hindu   Muslim (1982)
India        796.60                  78.8%    11.6%
Bangladesh   104.53                  12.7     85.9
Pakistan     105.41                   1.3     96.8

adding another line to the first table:

India + Bangladesh + Pakistan

Hindu    Muslim
1980s             63.8      28.2

India:
(derived from [3] )

Hindu     Muslim
1951         85 %       9.9%
1961         83.5      10.7
1971         82.7      11.2
1982 [2]     78.8      11.6                                               

Is this because of conversions ?
Maybe.

However, (West) Pakistan has been 96-97% Muslim,
and shows an even greater growth rate, with
there being no-one to convert. 

Undivided India
(decade growth rate of each religion)
[derived from 1]

All   Hindu   Muslim  
1881-91    11.8%   10.5%    14.2%
1891-1901   1.5    -0.3      8.9
1901-11     6.7     5.0      9.2
1911-21     0.9    -0.4      4.7
1921-31    10.4    10.3     11.7  
1931-41    15.2    13.2     19.1

India
(decade growth rate of each religion)
[derived from 2,3]

All   Hindu  Muslim
1951-61   21.5%   20.7    31.0%
1961-71   24.8    23.7    30.9

Pakistan (West wing)
[4,5,6,7]

1951 pop. =  33.7 million
1961 pop. =  42.9 million         
1972 pop. =  62.5 million

(decade growth rate of population)

1951-61   27.3 % (0.8 million were immigrants from India)
1961-71   45.7   (a 3.8% per annum growth rate)

(Pakistan's current pop. growth rate is around 3% per annum.)

With conversions or without, the sub-continent has an increasing
Muslim minority (with about a 1% increase in proportion per decade).

Note 1: the other minorities in India (Sikh, Christian, Jain,
Buddhist) are all increasing at roughly the same rate as the
Muslims in India.

Note 2: lest anyone be mislead: the rate of population increase
is so great that Hindus are an increasing percentage of world
population. It is just their relative numbers on the subcontinent
that is falling.

In a matter of decades, Hindus & Muslims will be in parity in
numbers. Watch for the jihad for Ishmael then !

:-)
arun gupta
 [1] : Davis Kingsley, The Population of India and Pakistan, ~1951.    
 [2] : Economist Book of Vital World Statistics, 1990 
 [3] : Hindustan Yearbooks 
 [4] : Wilber, David, Pakistan    
 [5] : A Survey of Pakistan Society, (Human Relations Area Files Inc.)
 [6] : Stephens, Ian, Pakistan
 [7] : Pakistan Official Handbooks
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Let's assume for a moment, the above numbers are correct!

What is the best strategy to counter Islam?
1/ Be nice to Islam in the hope that Islamists will return the favor. Examples include Akbar to Aurangzeb & Lebanon
2/ Fight Islam in a perpetual war. Examples include Israel & US
3/ Ban Islam & support Gharwapasi. Example is Spain

I request readers to do a thought experiment...

What do you prefer in below?
1/ A toxic backyard that produces occasional gems
2/ A healthy backyard that produces occasional spoiled fruit that stink.

I rest my case!
Last edited by RamaY on 26 Aug 2015 04:45, edited 2 times in total.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

I have posted both positive Bangladesh news, and negative news, and negative opinion about Bangladesh's future on this thread. My eyes are open.

I'm not sure why it gets the pessimists' undies in twist if someone is optimistic about Bangladesh.

On the Islam topic, I will not respond to Y. Kanan on the Bangladesh thread any more.

These are my final words on the topic, that unconditional hostility towards Muslim populations is a losing strategy. I will not bother to explain myself, but anyone who can think beyond some cliches gathered from the net can figure this out.

Y. Kanan is welcome to have the last word.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^ I object & disagree with your posts because

1/ They aren't factual - History is the proof. I already provided the FACTS!
2/ They aren't logical. If your arguments are logical we should see a Vasudhaika Kutumbam by now after 1500Yrs of Islam. Why do we need to twist Hinduism to see logic in Islam/Christianity?
3/ They are against Bharatiya Interests.
4/ They aren't intellectually honest. You say something in one thread and something else in another.

P.S: I don't know you personally & have no reason to dislike you personally. I read what you post with all honesty & enthusiasm without blocking/ignoring you!
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

A_Gupta wrote:I have posted both positive Bangladesh news, and negative news, and negative opinion about Bangladesh's future on this thread. My eyes are open.

I'm not sure why it gets the pessimists' undies in twist if someone is optimistic about Bangladesh.

On the Islam topic, I will not respond to Y. Kanan on the Bangladesh thread any more.

These are my final words on the topic, that unconditional hostility towards Muslim populations is a losing strategy. I will not bother to explain myself, but anyone who can think beyond some cliches gathered from the net can figure this out.

Y. Kanan is welcome to have the last word.

I see you're practicing the old adage "better to remain silent than speak and be thought a fool". Wise of you.

I can't help but notice the people that preach accommodation with Islam have seen their predictions of peaceful coexistence proven wrong again and again, and yet they continue to advocate for it. What is the definition of insanity, again? Oh I remember; doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Nobody's suggesting we invade Bangladesh, by the way. Rather, we wall them off to whatever extent possible and isolate them from India. I've been saying for years we need to get tough with Bangladesh or we're going to be dealing with another Kashmir in a few decades... in WB.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

RamaY, your serial-reporting of A_Gupta's posts is not having the intended effects. A permanent ban if you post once more in this thread.

Y Kanan, easy there. A_Gupta said he is not going to respond. Take that offer and you too walk off
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

hnair wrote:RamaY, your serial-reporting of A_Gupta's posts is not having the intended effects. A permanent ban if you post once more in this thread.

Y Kanan, easy there. A_Gupta said he is not going to respond. Take that offer and you too walk off
Fair enough! In the end we're all on the same side here. We just disagree how to get there.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

RamaY wrote: Can you please give supporting data for anything you said above instead of just presenting what you "think" it is?
I did not make up any of what I wrote -- that is all based on news reports in the past years. go read it up. The execution of the razakars and the rounding up/execution of islamist terrorists who attacked democratic government and the arrest of recent atheist blog killers are all pointers to what I wrote. Like I said, pay attention to the news and you will see the facts to support what I wrote. Most of these news items are in this and previous versions of this thread itself, so do not have to go far. So far, India has gained from working with a positive agenda with the sheikh hasina government. Certainly not the time to poorly treat a friendly neighbourhood govt. that has been willing to work with India.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Worth reading in full, excerpt here:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... e26068942/
Ajoy Roy, 79, is a secular activist who fought for independence during the country’s liberation war; more recently, he translated part of Richard Dawkins’s The God Delusion into Bengali. He is the recipient of Bangladesh’s highest civilian award and the founder of the Mukto-Mona blog, which his son, Avijit, edited, before he was killed in February.

The night of his son’s attack, Mr. Roy watched surgeons vainly struggle to repair the horrifying knife wounds. Months later, he is physically weakened by the loss. “His death has shattered me in many ways,” the elder Mr. Roy said. “He could have given the country much more.”

Mr. Roy knows the countercurrents buffeting his country. He sees the madrasas – religious schools – spreading conservative Islam in poor rural villages and the burkas that are becoming more visible on the streets. He has also seen the Bangladeshi supreme court recently deregister Islamist party Jamaat-e-Islami – barring it from contesting future elections – while a younger generation discovers a political voice to agitate against extremism.

He believes the latter will prevail. The death of his son and others is “a setback,” he said. “But I still believe that killing a few bloggers in this way is not going to stop the progress of the country.”

Others worry worse days may yet lie ahead.

“There will be a dawn, that’s what I’d like to believe,” said Ms. Kabir, the human-rights activist. “But how long will the darkness last? And how dark will it become?”
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

There was significant Hindu support for Communist parties in Bdesh although nowhere close to WB. Most of these so-called secular bloggers are leftists. They are not representative of the Hindu minority population. They are more representative of the anti-religion population. So you will not get a real picture of the situation for better or worse by following these individuals. Their counterparts in India have absolutely no problem in collaborating with Islamists. To understand the real situation you have to follow Bdesh news reports on minorities, follow the various human rights orgs or follow sites like HAF which prepare annual reports. Rape, murders, abduction of women, confiscation of properties and violence are regular affairs. This has now spread to border areas of WB. The recent example is the abduction of Tuktuki Mandal which was not covered by MSM as the abductors were Muslim but there were protests in London and New York. As for India, India has not had a Bdesh policy since 1971. It was a hands off policy which permitted successive Bdesh govts to systematically pursue state-backed ethnic cleansing. It has been estimated that under the vested property act approx 2.4 million acres (40% of Hindu lands) have been usurped forcing Hindus to flee to India. Sheikh Hasina is trying to bolt the stable after the horses have fled. I am not sure if Arun Gupta is Bengali but he clearly has a warped optimism about Bdesh. In a few decades there will be no Hindu population worth mentioning in Bdesh to even have debate about if current trends continue. About 1 million Hindus have left Bdesh between 2001-2011. India has been too soft on Bdesh - being pre-occupied with Pakistan. The Congress had a cosy relationship with the Bdeshi elite and gave them a virtual license to commit state-supported ethnic cleansing. It remains to be seen what MAD strategy is in Bdesh i.e. if they at all have a strategy. A plan B needs to be in place and not a blank cheque to Hasina hoping she will somehow stop the Islamist deluge after her. The danda clearly hasn't been used and needs to be kept handy.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the Islamism thread.

The Religious composition our country per the 2011 Population census shows the power of Mohammadden reproductive fecundity making adherents of Mohammaddenism the fastest growing religious population in India. Population Census 2011 also shows Mohammaddens are the only religious group that is increasing its percentage share in our countries population with all dharmic indigenous religions (Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism) losing ground in terms of percentage share of population with the exception of Jains who have managed to hold on:
The proportion of the Muslim population to total population has increased by 0.8 percentage points (PP) in 2011, the Census data stated.

The proportion of Hindu population to total population in 2011 has declined by 0.7 PP; the proportion of Sikh population has declined by 0.2 PP and Buddhist population has declined by 0.1 PP during the decade.

There has been no significant change in the proportion of Christians and Jains.
From here:

Bursting at the seams! Number of Indians hits 121 crore as population growth falls among Hindu communities and rises among Muslims

Two articles, one apiece from ToI and HT on the rapid Mohammadden population growth in the East / North East of our country:

Bengal beats India in Muslim growth rate

Census 2011 data rekindles ‘demographic invasion’ fear in Assam
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

What about this statistic?
Dr Barkat also emphasized that less than 0.4% of the population of Bangladesh has benefited from the Enemy Property Act, demonstrating that this law has been abused by those in power through corruption, with no demonstrated sanction by the population at large.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Yes, most of the Hindu land were taken by the goondas, politicians, influential, elite people of Bdesh and according to reports it was pretty secular i.e. the Awami League guys took most of the lands followed by the BNP and the Jamaat. But Communists in WB justify this by saying that it was part of land reforms i.e. forcible transfer of land from Hindu kulaks to Muslim peasants. If that were the case then we won't have mass migration of Bdeshi Muslims to India on this scale. Most of these migrants are landless rural people.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 717599.cms
"Govt plans ordinance to grant citizenship to Hindu refugees from Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan"
NEW DELHI: The government is working on an ordinance to amend the Citizenship Act to grant citizenship to "persecuted" Hindu refugees from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 713307.cms
Bangladesh blogger murder case: 2 more militants arrested
DHAKA: Two more members of an al-Qaida-linked Islamist militant group in Bangladesh have been arrested in connection with the killing of a secular blogger who was brutally hacked to death here in the fourth such deadly attack this year in the country that sparked global outrage.

Kausar Hossain Khan and Kamal Hossain Sardar, members of Ansarullah Bangla Team (ABT) militant group were arrested in raids in the capital city late last night and are suspected to be involved in the killing of 29-year-old blogger Niloy Chakrabarty Neel on August 7, police said on Friday.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Indo-Bangladesh relations revolve around sharing of common waters
http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/2015/08/29/105701
During their latest visits to Bangladesh in July 2014 and June 2015 respectfully, India's foreign minister Sushma Swaraj and Prime Minister Modi have assured Dhaka that New Delhi would be able to settle the Teesta and Feni rivers' water sharing issues with the help of the state governments of West Bengal and Tripura. Emphatically, Mr. Modi said: "Our Rivers should nurture our relationship, not become sources of discord. Water sharing is above all a human issue." Bangladeshi people are looking forward to see that it should not remain as rhetoric and wants to see in concrete term of the implementation of his words. If the Indian government does not act accordingly, Bangladesh should consider approaching the international community to resolve the water sharing issues.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.en.prothom-alo.com/banglades ... rom-Sept-1
"Indian visa only for MRP holders from Sept 1"
The Indian High Commission here on Sunday advised the Bangladeshi visa applicants to submit only valid Machine Readable Passports issued by the government of Bangladesh from September 1.

“Indian Visa Application Centre (IVAC) all across Bangladesh being run by the State Bank of India will accept only valid Machine Readable Passports issued by the government of Bangladesh with effect from September 1,” the High Commission said in a visa advisory.

It issued the advisory in accordance with International Civil Aviation Organization guidelines regarding discontinuation of hand written passports.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

On the Mohammadden Sabbath of Friday a very likely case of Green on Green Intra-Mohammadden religion based violence given nature of murder, namely throat slitting, sees two Mohammadden religious functionaries killed inside the Lengta Fokirer Majar , a Sufi Mohammadden shrine in Chittagong, Bangladesh:
Two men were killed inside an Islamic Sufi shrine in the Bangladesh port city of Chittagong today, in an attack police said was carried out by a "trained and unknown assassin".

The murderer escaped after slitting the throats of the shrine's head custodian and his assistant in the neighbourhood of Bayezid Bostami, Chittagong police commissioner Abdul Jalil Mondal told AFP.

The attack took place just after the end of Muslims' Friday prayer, when the usually crowded Lengta Fokirer Majar shrine is comparatively quiet. ………………………………

Police raised the possibility that Islamist militants, who have carried out several attacks on shrines and their guards in the past decade, could be behind the assault.

"It might be one of those Islamist militant groups who think shrines conduct unholy practices and spread misconceptions of Islam," a local police official told AFP, requesting anonymity.

Millions of Bangladeshis worship at shrines, but militants consider Sufis -- followers of a mystical form of Islam -- and other shrine-goers as heretics and grave worshippers. ………………….
From here:

'Trained assassin' kills two at Bangladesh shrine
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2015/09/ ... chittagong
bdul Mannam Mona, 40, was arrested at Shershah Bangla Bazar on Friday noon, Chittagong Metropolitan Police Deputy Commissioner Paritosh Ghosh said.

He said they detained Mona to check if the murders were a result of feud over a land.

Locals said a youth fled the sanctum of ‘Fakir’ Rahmat Ullah alias ‘Lengta Mamu’, 60, by exploding two bombs after hacking to death him and his attendant Md Abdul Kader, 30.

City police’s Additional Commissioner Debdas Bhattacharya said they were investigating whether the incident was a result of enmity or if any ‘anti-Mazar’ forces were involved.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Bangladesh unearths Islamist plot to blow up over 100 Navy and Coast Guard bases: report
Dhaka: Bangladeshi intelligence agencies have unearthed an Islamist plot to blow up over 100 Navy and Coast Guard bases and oil refineries in southeastern port city of Chittagong, a media report said on Sunday.

A lesser-known outfit called Hilful Fuzul al Islami planned to carry out gas bomb explosions in collaboration with several other banned Islamist groups in retaliation to an escalated security clampdown against the militants, according to the 'Samokal', a mass circulation newspaper.

"They have targeted more than 100 government and non-government installations on both the sides of the Chittagong Port Channel where the Coastguard's West Zone Base, Kaptai's BNS (Navy) Moazzem Base, BNS Isha Khan are located," said the report, quoting unidentified intelligence sources.

It added that the Hilful Fuzul also hatched plots to carryout sabotages at the main depots of four refineries in the port city.

When asked to comment on the report, a spokesman of elite anti-crime Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) told PTI that "we are aware of the report which you are referring to.

"It (Hilful Fuzul) is a little-known outfit... but we are investigating into the suspected plot," RAB's spokesman Major Maksud Alam said without elaboration.

Another security official, who requested anonymity, seemed to downplay the report, saying militant outfits currently were in a dilapidated state due to the intensified anti-militancy clampdown.

"Their previous attempts to regroup and forge unity failed also largely because of their ideological differences," he said.

Media reports earlier said Ansarullah Bangla Team (ABT), which claimed to an affiliate of al-Qaeda's Indian Subcontinent chapter and believed to have killed a number of secular bloggers dubbing them as "atheists" in recent months, previously failed to unite the Islamist outfits despite efforts by its chief Jashimuddin Rahmani.

Today's report came as banned Hizbut Tahrir staged an online conference on Friday after mobilising participation by pasting posters on passenger buses and walls evading eyes of police and security agencies
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

Bangla turns to Jatin in secularism battle

Devadeep Purohit, The Telegraph, Sept 7, 2015

Kushtia, Sept. 6: A committee of activists and thinkers in Bangladesh is commemorating freedom fighter Bagha Jatin's death centenary while highlighting how his and Surya Sen's example had inspired Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

Bagha Jatin
The idea is to link the Liberation War of 1971 with India's freedom struggle and strike a blow for secularism in Bangladesh, where zealots have murdered four secular bloggers, the organisers said.

An event was held in Jatindranath Mukhopadhyay's (1879-1915) birthplace of Koyagram in Kushtia last week, which several Bangladeshi ministers and the Indian high commissioner were poised to attend before running into bad weather.

Mukhopadhyay --- nicknamed Bagha Jatin after killing a tiger in close combat --- died at Balasore in Odisha on September 10, 1915, of wounds suffered in a gallant battle with the British forces.

On Thursday, exactly 100 years later, a team from Bangladesh will pay homage to him in Balasore.

Both the Kushtia and Balasore legs of the programme are being organised jointly by a Calcutta think tank, the Institute of Social and Cultural Studies, and a panel formed last year by prominent Bangladeshi citizens, including writer and rights activist Shahriar Kabir.

Kabir is the leader of the Ekattorer Ghatok Dalal Nirmul Committee, which is fighting to bring to justice the Razakars --- Bangladeshis who had collaborated with the Pakistani army in 1971.

"We want the people of Bangladesh to know more about Bagha Jatin, who was an inspiration for Bangabandhu Mujibur Rahman in his fight against the Pakistani army," Kabir said.

Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
"He (Mujib) was also greatly influenced by the sacrifice of Surya Sen, who too was born in Bangladesh (Chittagong). The people of Bangladesh should know that the freedom struggle started by these revolutionaries ended in 1971 when we got freedom under the leadership of Bangabandhu."

Sen (1894-1934) led the famous Chittagong armoury raid of 1930.

That the government, led by Mujib's daughter Sheikh Hasina, is backing the effort is evident from the guest list for the Kushtia event, where Bagha Jatin's grandson Indujyoti Mukhopadhyay was felicitated.

The invitees included finance minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith, information minister Hasanul Haq Inu and civil aviation minister Rashed Khan Menon as well as Indian envoy Pankaj Saran. But their choppers could not take off from Dhaka.

However, the entire civil and police administration of Kushtia -- including deputy commissioner Syed Belal Hossain - was present.

One reason for the Hasina government's interest should be that the programme's larger objectives include highlighting the sacrifices by Mujib's generation, which some feel have dimmed in public memory.

The Liberation War, which saw 30 lakh deaths and the rape of five lakh women, remains an emotive issue in Bangladesh, which has had a chequered experience with democracy since then. Mujib was assassinated in 1975 with most of his family members, and the country came under military rule for the next 16 years.

After democracy returned in 1991, Bangladesh witnessed a bitter power struggle till Sheikh Hasina won a resounding majority in 2008. She was re-elected in 2014 amid an Opposition boycott.

Hasina has been trying to revive the Liberation War's legacy "but has often faced a challenge as the Opposition combine of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party and the Jamaat-e-Islami have always tried to deflect attention from our freedom struggle", historian Muntassir Mamoon said at the event in Kushtia.

"They have constantly opposed Bangabandhu's dream of a secular society in our country. By remembering people like Bagha Jatin, we can try to revive the secular tradition."

Bagha Jatin is not Kushtia's lone connection with pre-Independence Calcutta. Rabindranath Tagore spent a significant part of his life here at the family seat in Silaidaha, which Dhaka has turned into a museum. Lalon Fakir, the mystic, songwriter, saint and social reformer, is from this district too.

"We are fighting a constant battle with the fundamentalist forces. We will not let the divisive forces operate in this land of Bagha Jatin, Tagore and Lalon," said Sufi Faruq Ibne Abubaker, a local politician from the ruling Awami League.

Apart from the attacks on the secular bloggers, Bangladesh has in recent months witnessed allegations of atrocities on religious minorities and forcible acquisition of their properties.

The centenary committee's demands include renaming the main road and the Koya College after Bagha Jatin and establishing a cultural complex on land that apparently belonged to his family.

"We have been voicing this demand for a year but now I have told the students and local people to rename it as Bagha Jatin College and rename the main road in Koyagram in his memory," Mamoon said.

"I think they will do it in seven days. Last year, I had requested them to remove the photograph of a Razakar from the principal's office and they did it."

Given the mood in Koyagram, where over 2,000 people attended the event, renaming the college and the road and setting up the cultural complex do not look difficult.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Back in 2009 on page 17 of this thread (Clicky) I posted this:
arun wrote:Bangladesh has belatedly realised that their insistence that the Asian Highway directly connect Myanmar to Bangladesh via Cox Bazar - Teknaf, in the process bypassing India’s North East, will simply instead result in the Asian Highway bypassing Bangladesh altogether :rotfl: .

Bangaldesh has stepped off its hobby horse and fallen in line with the routing via Tamabil which both enters and exits Bangladesh from India.

So much for Bangaldesh’s pipedreams that India will permit them to be the self appointed thekadar of India’s eastward lines of communication:
Friday, May 22, 2009

Asian Highway Network : Alternative route bid abandoned

Govt decides to get connected as per original UN-Escap plan

Staff Correspondent

Abandoning the country's previously proposed routes, the government decided to connect Bangladesh to the Asian Highway Network (AHN) accepting routes proposed by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-Escap). ………………

The proposed routes are Benapole-Jessore-Kanchpur-Dhaka-Sylhet-Tamabil (AH1), Banglabandha-Hatikamrul-Dhaka-Kanchpur-Sylhet-Tamabil (AH2) and Dhaka-Kanchpur-Chittagong-Cox's Bazar-Teknaf-Myanmar border (AH-41). The third route is a sub-regional one. ………………..

The main reason behind Dhaka's reluctance to join the Asian Highway club is its reservations about giving transit to India.

Bangladesh had said the first two routes proposed by the UN-Escap enter Bangladesh from India and exits to India. Bangladesh has been pressing for Dhaka-Chittagong-Cox's Bazar-Teknaf route. A number of moves in this regard proved futile as Dhaka failed to convince UN-Escap. …………….

Daily Star
Matter now is on the verge of fruition. Highway from Moreh in India, via Myanmar towns of Tamu, Mandalay and Myawaddy, to Mae Sot in Thailand is to be completed in November.

Bangladesh that was trying to finger India by acting as a pricey Thekedaar on transit rights has been cut to size :

India-Thailand highway to close Asian infrastructure gap
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Top Bangladesh opposition politician jailed for 13 years

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 471423.cms
A Bangladesh court today jailed a former mayor of Dhaka for 13 years for corruption in absentia, a prosecutor said, a fresh blow to the beleaguered opposition which called the charges politically motivated.

An anti-graft court found Sadeque Hossain Khoka, now living in the United States, guilty of amassing wealth illegally and of concealing information about his income.

"He was sentenced to 13 years in jail in total for the two charges," Mosharraf Hossain, prosecutor for the country's Anti Corruption Commission, told AFP.

"The judge also ordered confiscation of 100.5 million taka ($1.3 million) in illegally acquired property," he said.

Khoka, 63, is a vice-chairman of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and was mayor of the capital Dhaka for nearly ten years until 2011.

He now lives in New York where he is being treated for cancer, his lawyer Sanaullah Mian told AFP, adding that they planned to appeal against the verdict.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Bangladesh joins Pakistan in the Green on Green religion motivated Intra-Mohammadden sectarian killing spree during the Mohammadden religious occasion of Muharram. Dhaka bomb attack on Muharram gathering leaves 1 Shia Mohammadden dead and 80 injured:

Triple explosions at Shia gathering in Old Dhaka leave one killed, nearly 80 wounded
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

X-Posting. This has been talked about for decades now. Modi-Hasina finally got it done

Kolkata-Dhaka-Agartala cargo transport trial run flagged off
"The distance between Kolkata and Agartala in Tripura will be reduced from 1550 km to 640 km and will be further reduced by another 150 km after completion of construction of a bridge in Bangladesh," he said.
member_19686
BRFite

Post by member_19686 »

Bomb Attacks Target Hindu Gathering in North Bangladesh
December 5, 2015, 7 hours ago

DHAKA, Dec 5 (Reuters) – At least six people were injured, with three in a critical condition, after a series of bomb blasts on Saturday at a Hindu religious gathering in northern Bangladesh, a police official said.

The attack follows the shooting and wounding of an Italian doctor working in the same region last month, and the earlier murders of an Italian and a Japanese citizen in separate attacks claimed by Islamic State.

The latest incident occurred in Dinajpur district, 415 km (260 miles) north of the capital Dhaka when a series of bombs exploded as hundreds of devotees attended a religious ceremony known as “Rushmela”, Abdul Mazid, the officer in-charge of Kahalur police station, told Reuters.

The attack came after recent threats to the temple’s priest, urging him not to organise any religious gatherings, Mazid said.

Five people had been detained for interrogation, he said.

Bomb attacks on Hindu religious gatherings are rare in Muslim-majority Bangladesh.

The country has suffered a rising tide of Islamist violence over the past year. Four online critics of religious militancy have been hacked to death, among them a U.S. citizen of Bangladesh origin.

http://newsweekme.com/bomb-attacks-targ ... angladesh/
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

An enclave for Hindus within Bdesh has become essential so that they can live in safety.
member_19686
BRFite

Post by member_19686 »

Bangladesh: Nine Injured in Attack on Hindu Temple
BY REUTERS 12/10/15 AT 6:04 PM

DHAKA (Reuters) - Two people suffered gunshot wounds and seven others less serious injuries in a bomb and gun attack on Thursday at a Hindu temple in northern Bangladesh, a senior police official said.

Humayun Kabir, deputy inspector general of police for the northern region, told Reuters that three unknown attackers had arrived at the temple in Dinajpur district, 415 km (260 miles) north of the capital Dhaka, by motorbike.

They detonated several homemade bombs and then shot at people who were fleeing the building in panic, he said. About one hundred people were gathered in the temple.

Two people with gunshot wounds were taken to hospital.

Kabir said two people had been detained following the incident, which he said was similar in nature to a bomb attack on Saturday on a Hindu religious gathering in the same area in which at least six people were injured, three critically.

Police suspect banned militant group Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) may be behind the attacks, Kabir said.

Muslim-majority Bangladesh has suffered a rising tide of Islamist violence over the past year although attacks on Hindu religious gatherings remain rare.

Four online critics of religious militancy have been hacked to death, among them a U.S. citizen of Bangladeshi origin.

In October, an Italian doctor working as a missionary was shot and wounded in the same area as Thursday's attack, which had earlier seen an Italian and a Japanese citizen die in separate attacks claimed by Islamic State.

http://www.newsweek.com/bangladesh-nine ... ple-403944
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 402_1.html
China hands over 2 new corvette class warships to Bangladesh
China has handed over two most advanced corvette class warships with ability to sail at a maximum speed of 25.5 knots on the high seas besides versatile combat capacity and excellent manoeuvrability to the Bangladesh navy, state media here reported today.

China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC) delivered the two vessels to the Bangladesh navy in Qidong City, east China's Jiangsu Province.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://bdnews24.com/neighbours/2015/12/ ... bangladesh
The India government has released the first instalment of its agreed funding to open a new waterway link between its Northeastern region and Bangladesh.

The waterway is designed to facilitate the movement of people, goods and machinery and to hugely help the land-locked region, said a senior official in Agartala.

“Responding to the Tripura government's proposals to develop a waterway link between Tripura's Gomati and Howrah rivers and the Meghna river of Bangladesh, the India government’s Ministry of Water Transport and Shipping has sanctioned 125 million Indian rupees for the project. The first instalment of 20 million rupees to link the Gomati and the Meghna has been released,” said Samarjit Bhaumik, Transport Secretary of the government of Tripura.

Bhaumik told bdnews24.com: "The state government has to submit detailed project reports (DPRs) to develop waterways between the Gomati and the Howrah with the Meghna."
Four inland water routes between India and Bangladesh are currently operational—Kolkata-Pandu (in southern Assam) via Bangladesh, Kolkata-Karimganj (in southern Assam) via Bangladesh, Rajshahi (in Bangladesh)-Dhulian (in southern Assam) and Karimganj-Pandu-Karimganj via Bangladesh.

These waterways have been operational since 1972 and are renewed from time to time under the Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade between the two countries.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 446894.cms
"Northeast India militants have camps in Bangladesh: Tripura CM"
AGARTALA : Militants from northeast India, including Tripura, have their camps in Bangladesh despite the Bangladesh government being pro-active against them, Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said here on Monday.

Praising Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina-led Bangladesh government for taking action against terrorism, Sarkar said: "Security forces in Bangladesh with the instructions from their government are always pro-active to flush-out militants belonging to Tripura and other northeastern states and their camps in that country."

"However, there were terrorist camps in Bangladesh territory. There are 16 to 19 camps of Tripura militants in that country. The present government in Bangladesh is always trying to flush out the Indian militants in their territory."
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 469303.cms

"Bangladesh to execute top Islamist leader for war crimes"
DHAKA: Bangladesh's top court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence on the leader of the largest Islamist party for crimes during the country's 1971 independence struggle, paving the way for his execution within months.

The country's supreme court dismissed an appeal by Motiur Rahman Nizami, head of the Jamaat-e-Islami party, who was convicted of murder, rape and orchestrating the killing of top intellectuals when he was a militia leader during the conflict.

"The court upheld the death sentence in three out of four charges. We're very happy," prosecutor Tureen Afroz told reporters. "Most importantly, the death penalty was upheld for the killings of the intellectuals."

Nizami, 72, Jamaat's leader since 2000 and a minister in a former Islamist-allied government of 2001-2006, faces the gallows within months unless his case is reviewed by the same court or he is granted clemency by the president.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina may visit Saudi Arabia soon
http://www.india.com/news/world/banglad ... on-843051/
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina may visit Saudi Arabia after the latter reopened its door to Bangladesh workers and the launch of anti-terror military coalition including Bangladesh. According to The Daily Star,Bangladesh Foreign Minister Abul Hassan Mahmood conveyed the message to his Saudi counterpart Adel bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2016/01/ ... bangladesh
Globsyn Skiills, a part of the group that runs the famed Globsyn Business School, says Bangladesh is its first major overseas venture.

"We have trained thousands of students in India and made them employable. Now we are joining Ernst & Young and Bangladesh Computer Council in a major skills development thrust funded by the World Bank," said Globsyn Skills Managing Director Rahul Dasgupta.

He said this is part of Globsyn's overseas plan to send at least 100 certified skills trainers to neighbouring countries as part of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's drive to make India a skills resource hub in South Asia.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 543084.cms
Hasina talks tough against anti-India acts
Agartala: Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has reiterated that no anti-Indian force will be allowed to operate from her country.

She said this while interacting with Tripura power minister Manik Dey at her official residence in Dhaka.

Dey went to Dhaka to take part in finalizing the India-Bangladesh memorandum of understanding regarding price of power generated by the Palatana plant which was signed on Sunday. The price has been fixed at 8 American cent per unit, which is Rs 5.50.

Talking to the media on Monday, Dey said Hasina has also expressed interest to re-open all rail routes between India and Bangladesh before 1965, early completion of the Agartala-Akhaura rail road and construction of a bridge connecting Sabroom of Tripura with Chittagong.

She made it clear that the Bangladesh government will not allow to use its soil by any insurgent group or anti-Indian force. To maintain good ties with India, Bangladesh will always extend all cooperation to strengthen bilateral trade, commerce and cultural relations, said Dey.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/banglade ... en-1264954
Bangladesh Releases 178 Indian Fishermen
Kakdwip, West Bengal: Bangladeshi authorities today released 178 Indian fishermen hailing from West Bengal who had been arrested and jailed about two months ago for allegedly trespassing in that country's waters.

Minister of State, Sunderbans Unnayan Affairs, Monturam Pakhira said the fishermen, lodged in Bagerhat jail in Bangladesh, were released at 8 am.

Altogether 179 fishermen in 14 trawlers had been arrested by Bangladesh coastguard authorities two months back for trespassing while fishing. One fisherman, Sanjay Samanta (45) died soon after his arrest, Mr Pakhira said.

The Bangladeshi authorities had also released the coffin with his mortal remains, the minister said.

The 14 trawlers with 178 fishermen and the coffin had set sail for Namkhana in South 24-Parganas district today, Mr Pakhira said.