Bangladesh News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Raju

Re: Bangladesh News and Discussion

Postby Raju » 26 Feb 2009 13:03

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/s ... tcount=103

I have visited BD India borders and BDR camps more than 35 years, my burning and biting experience says BDR jawans are the most destructive to our country. They simply harms our sustainable economy very much.

See their physical shape, they look much better than Army jawans because money talks.

Now the BDR jawans want more money because they can not do the smuggling trade in full scale because of high fencing in the Borders by India.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/s ... tcount=112
there must be a reason why the killed the army officers. It is true that army officers has bad attitudes. And they use lot of foul language which i have seen in last two years. And the sort of language they use, if you hear it's difficult to digest. And if you have weapon in your hand, you won't think twice to use it.

BDR , they live a horrible life. They are always in WAR unlike the army. Indians comes and kills them pretty often in the border and they don't have any insurance. Nobody looks after their family after their death.
Army is no good for BDR. I agree they should have their commander within BDR only.

Look at BIMAN, Managing director is is always chosen from the Biman bahini without any marketing/sales experience. How can you expect an army officer to run a commertial airlines?

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/s ... tcount=121
I'm getting unconfirmed reports that the BDR at Jessore and Khulna has also staged mutiny and kept the Army officials captive. They have taken control of their respective Barracks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090226/wl_ ... utineers_6

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/s ... tcount=127

Shakil, was one of the most brilliant officers in the corps of Artillery that they have ever produced. You can verify from any army officer who know him personally.

You know, if an Army officer goes to BDR and remain honest, he has no place there. You will hear all sorts of corruption alegation from the soldiers & the officer will be on the run. You won't hear anything from within the org if he is corrupted.

Since I know Shakil personally since 1985, I cannot relate corruption with such brilliance. Allah knows the best. I have three more close friends trapped in their, I guess they are gone as well, but no confirmation yet.

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Postby Stan_Savljevic » 26 Feb 2009 13:06

What?!

Heard from close source that around 250 dead so far.

I dont think PM is going to address before 2pm, apparently thats the time frame the Govt have given the BDR mutineers to lay down their arms. Tele tickers are saying the meeting was positive. The PM is currently in meeting with the Chiefs of three armed forces.

Prothom Alo says, 6 more BDR officials body found near by drainage, and rebels were ordered to surrender by 14:00 PM BD time.

In southeastern Feni town, residents close to BDR camp heard sounds of bullets on Thursday morning. Local sources said they heard sounds of bullets and also saw smoke coming out of the camp at about 8:30 a.m. Panicked residents started leaving the area after hearing the gunshots.

In southwestern Satkhira town, firing began at BDR camp at 10:30 a.m. BDR personnel took position on nearby highway, bringing traffic to a standstill. Students of Rifles School inside the BDR camp area and the adjoining Textile Mills School have been confined in their schools following firing incident, creating panic among the guardians.

In northwestern Naogaon town, sounds of gunshot were heard from BDR camp Thursday morning creating panic among the local residents. Local sources said BDR men got agitated and started firing following a rumor that army would come to capture the BDR camp.

In northeastern Sylhet city, tension escalated after sounds of gunshots coming out from BDR camp in the city on Thursday morning. All educational institutions near the area remained close following the trouble that created panic among the city dwellers.

Besides, sounds of gunshot were also heard in BDR camps in northwestern Dinajpur, and Thakurgaon towns.

things getting bad in Dhaka, and all over Bangladesh. Telephone communication with the capital cut off.
Last edited by Stan_Savljevic on 26 Feb 2009 13:12, edited 2 times in total.

Raju

Postby Raju » 26 Feb 2009 13:09

Looks the mutiny is fast spreading to other cantonments and camps across the country ..

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/s ... tcount=151
Fighting just broke out outside our home at azimpur colony, a army camp was made in the community center last night, fighting broke out there. We heard machine gun and shotgun rounds. Scared people are right now in our staircases. Our whole family remained crouched for about 15 minutes of intense fighting. The sounds of bullets are gone, at least for now.

Army just took position on our rooftop

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Postby Stan_Savljevic » 26 Feb 2009 13:25

The mutineer said, “At one stage, an officer fired a shot injuring a jawan. Then the lower tier personnel went out of the Darbar Hall and returned there with arms from the Pilkhana armoury and held the officers hostage at gunpoint.” However the army is denying that anyone has been shot. “Was that a blank fire? An intimidation that provoked?” Surely we know how the armed forces people treats the BDR jawans.

The situation is far from over and still volatile. Rumors are that some of the 40 odd army officers (and some of their family) stationed inside the BDR compound may have been killed. We have then a hostage situation with dead hostages. So an army repercussion may be imminent.

Three videos of the crisis at
http://www.e-bangladesh.org/

There are some unconfirmed rumors:
a) BDR Chief has been shot
b) This is a pre-planned action - the ones who are shooting and killing have red ribbons on their forehead.
c) 46th brigade of the army moved in to quell mutiny. Hundreds of casualty but could not confirm deaths and injuries.
d) Brigadier Amin (Ansars DG and previously with DGFI) is the plot-planner.

See an exclusive interview with BDR rebels at (bottom of page)
http://www.e-bangladesh.org/

At the meeting between India’s Border Security Force (BSF) and Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) on October 10, 2008 at the Dawki-Tambil border outpost in eastern Meghalaya, BDR chief Major General Shakil Ahmed admitted that HuJI is a threat to both Bangladesh and India. Under these circumstances, it is difficult to accept that the caretaker government did not find anything incriminating against the HuJI.

http://www.idsa.in/publications/stratco ... 201008.htm

Fresh gunfire heard at Bangladesh paramilitary HQ - TV:

From another forum
Gen. Shakil Ahmed was killed yesterday morning. His wife was raped and killed at around the same time. There have been rumors floating around that she was caught by the customs with 6 crore Taka in hand!
http://www.wheelsbd.com/forum/showthrea ... 640&page=4

the firing happened at around 1-1:30 PM. from then on, it's peaceful. We heard one or two remote gunshots, but nothing more. Army is getting a move on from the camp opposite to our house. They are moving in groups in vehicles. An unnatural calm is prevailing in the streets outside our house.

#dhaka pm's speech started from 2:18 pm local time
Hasina uvacha: dhaka this is not the time of hatred. we believe in peace. so we need to work towards to keep that

at Hotel Ambala INN, dhaka,where the peace talks are occuring.100 yards away from the gate that the BDR has set up

It's my assumption that the premature "Amnesty" announcement did not sit well with Moin U. He might be heading towards a confrontation. He left the meeting early.

Moin U. is the army chief, IIRC.

Meanwhile Hasina in her speech is not telling anything about the reason behind this incident

she is pointing something about third party who might be influenced this situation

Is she pointing to a DGFI-HuJI hand in this? There was a mention of the initiator being a former DGFI guy and Gen. Shakil Ahmed making statements against HuJI.

a committee formed to solve the bdr problem

Well the rest of the speech was not very strong Too much propaganda and lacking in fundamental political components.

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Postby Stan_Savljevic » 26 Feb 2009 14:06

Some analysis already in

A mutiny took place in Dhaka today. The Bangladesh Rifles (BDR), the paramilitary border guards, mutinied against the Army, who they say discriminate against the paramilitary forces. The statement, made by an unnamed BDR officer to BBC Bengali Service, said that the BDR has nothing against the government and they expect that the government will be humane. The latest reports indicate that the Prime Minister, along with her cabinet colleagues, met the representatives of the mutineers, and offered a general amnesty to mutineers in exchange of laying down of arms and release of the officers held hostage. Dhaka had a tense day - with visible military action on the streets, general panic and fear that this will snowball into something more sinister. Hopefully, it won't get there and normalcy will be restored soon. However, in my mind, this mutiny indicates how difficult it is to govern Bangladesh now and how urgent is the need for action to restore the faith in democracy and fair governance.

It is interesting to note that a general amnesty of mutineers is being offered. This is an extremely difficult decision and possibly made with short term considerations. This breaks down the gold standard of discipline in the armed forces and politicizes its operations. It also sets a precedence, both inside the forces and in the eyes of general public, and this is where the danger lies. Bangladesh has a history of coups, and an amnesty for the mutineers is indeed a dangerous thing in the context. It is almost besides the point that this mutiny was against the army. One can not mutiny against the army - it breaks the law of the land, so by implication, it is against the government. If an unit takes its commanders hostage, it becomes un-commandable, and therefore, useless. But, in the context of Bangladesh, such a story has an interesting sub-plot. It is almost as if the mutineers are addressing their grievances from the period before the last election - when the army ran the country. It is 'revenge' when things have changed and the army has relinquished power. On the same note, the army is unlikely to take this generously. The army took the power a couple of years back and recently handed it back to a democratically elected government, but they will be less than willing to cooperate if this new government undermines their position in the society. And, that's exactly what the government may end up doing by being soft on the mutineers. By design or default, this will undermine the authority of the army overall, and let people on the street laugh at them.

I spoke to friends in Bangladesh today and they assured me that the situation is well under control. They saw little chances of a snowballing of this incident. However, that's because there still seems to be some faith in the newly elected government. If the same incident happened before the election, it would have had explosive consequences. If the government does not deliver on the promises and meet the high expectation bestowed on them, a similar incident some months later will destabilize the country and undermine the balance in the region.

So, it is imperative that the government delivers, soon. The general economic climate is getting worse. The gloom in Dubai will hit Bangladeshis hard - several of them will return home and many of them will not be able to go. The most dangerous moment in the history of Bangladesh is now - when hope may dwindle and faith may fail. It is in everyone's interest in the region not to let that happen. The mutiny has been a wake up call - let us not sleep any more.

The overall crux of Sh. Hasina's speech to the nation

"PM Hasina just completed her address to nation. Salient features:
1. Solution through dialogue, not through force.
2. BDR personnel should follow chain of command.
3. Be patient, we will solve it soon.
4. Certain quarters are creating confusion through rumours.
5. Refrain from self-destructive activities, don’t kill your own brothers.
6. Pls help me to solve this.
7. Don’t do anything more when I’m forced to take stern action.
8. Surrender arms, you will not be harmed.
9. Don’t make comments, remarks , or undertake activities that may jeopardise public security.
10. A committee led by Home Minister has been formed to look into BDR’s professional problems.
11. I will take any action for the interest of the nation. Don’t force me to take drastic action."

AFAIK 71 out of 72 officers stationed in Dhaka were brutally killed by the Jawans. 1 wounded officer called his family from the sewerage line where he was shoot along with his colleagues has fortunately survived. He was asking for help.

i just heard it from the some army grapevine (on the phone) that jessore air-base has been instructed to bring in heavy metals(!) and from air drop in commandoes for operation-pilkhana! those BDR foot-soldiers can kiss their lives good-bye! i am so sorry and worried that this is happening to our land where many of our people are unsafe! let's see what happens

All over Bangladesh BDR non-commissioned members have broken their chain of command. In Sylhet heavy fire is going on. Sector commander Sylhet Lt. Colonel Gulzer was killed last night at Pilkhana. He was one of the brilliant officer who was the chief of RAB intelligence. He was the guy behind the successful JMB operation by RAB. It is a great loss to the nation. He was posted with BDR just few months back. In the Northern area of Bangladesh BDR non-commissioned members also broke down the chain of command. An unconfirmed source from Army informed that Sector Commander of Dinajpur sector has been shot dead today morning. Also in Khulna, Feni, Coxsbazar, Chittagong, Nauga, Shatkhira mutiny have started.

i just heard from another family of a commander-in-charge in kushtia BDR sector that he is escaping in a jeep toward the jessor cantonment while dodging barricades and patrolling BDR soldiers on the highway! he talked to his family over the phone and could barely talk in fear of safety and as he is running! and this is of great important folks, two of his most loyal and dedicated 'jawans' are helping him scape from their own rebel brigade!

Wow, a systematic purge is on of those who were involved in beating the JMB and the HuJI. Shit is going to break loose when things go back under BDA control. And if I can find so much info open-source sitting miles away from the action, wtf is the Indian dhimmedia doing? Can they report only about Shri Rama Sene?! I see no updates anywhere on any Indian websites!! And the neighboring country is in civil war, all but name!

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Postby Stan_Savljevic » 26 Feb 2009 14:33

The conspiracy angle is taking root at least in some folks' minds

the event at pilkhana yesterday morning was pre-conceived and pre-planned! at that meeting there were a large number of commanding officers present from all over the country who were not stationed at pilkhana! they happened to be there that morning just for that meeting! the killing of these officers (70+) were pre-conceived as it was the most efficient way to do a huge damage to the commanding authorities nation-wide!

The number of BDR cadre involved in this operation ranges from 3300 to 40000!!
Another poster says

BDR week is going on and it has been held for the last 100 years. Commander in Chief of the country visits and offer badges to the loyal soldiers. PM just went there 2 days ago for march-past.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Postby Rahul M » 26 Feb 2009 14:35

there was most certainly some level of coordination and planning involved and at not a very lower rung either.
TV reports were saying that the weapons used were brought in from outside and that included mortars.

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Postby Stan_Savljevic » 26 Feb 2009 14:41

^^^ This is the BDR's version of the 500 bomb campaign. Something real sinister and anti-Indian has been cooked up -- that is the bottomline. Seems like a collective act of DGFI, JMB, HuJI, Razakars against Sh. Hasina, Gen. Shakil and pro-Indian voices.

Raju

Postby Raju » 26 Feb 2009 14:42

But, in the context of Bangladesh, such a story has an interesting sub-plot. It is almost as if the mutineers are addressing their grievances from the period before the last election - when the army ran the country. It is 'revenge' when things have changed and the army has relinquished power.

this is the key sentence. Seems like the mutineers found courage after AL came into power and got into payback mode.
So most likely these people have AL support or so they want to make the world believe.

What does this do ?
this ties down Sheikh Hasina because supposedly her sympathizers from 'south of the country' are the ones mutineering.

It allows the army to build the case that Sheikh Hasina is incapable of solving this issue and this requires their direct intervention.

perfect ground for another military coup.
Last edited by Raju on 26 Feb 2009 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Postby Stan_Savljevic » 26 Feb 2009 14:47

^^^ Certainly corruption has not been a new topic in BD. It has always been around and things have worked around it, for so long, in every sphere of life. So what is the cause for major takleef against the BDA NOW? I mean, UN posts, Dal Bhaat, pay grievances etc dont mean ~70+ officers get killed. And even if killed, their wives are not necessarily raped and their bodies are not dumped in sewer lines. I cant connect the dots with revenge. Revenge for what?! And why now? This does nt smell like revenge, this smells like massacre to teach a lesson. Lesson for what is the key here.

Raju

Postby Raju » 26 Feb 2009 14:49

there are pay grievances and that is what has channelized the footsoldiers but the intents of the masterminds are always different.

leaders mould followers with different grievances to goals that the leaders wish to achieve.

what if the leader of this operation is a DGFI fishy dude who has been planted there to prepare ground for military junta takeover.

this group has used simmering discontent in BDR to meet their own ends.

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Postby Stan_Savljevic » 26 Feb 2009 14:51

Prime minister Sheikh Hasina blended emotion with prudence in her nationwide broadcast Thursday afternoon, calling on all to exercise tolerance but did not mince words to warn of tough measures if needed.

"Please go back to barracks," the prime minister said, appealing to the BDR mutineers. "Please do not test our patience and force me to take any stern action in the interest of the nation." In a seven-minute no-nonsense speech, Hasina renewed her general amnesty offer for the armed rebels but did not set any specific deadline for the mutineers to lay down arms.

"My question is: Who would you shoot at?

"They are all your brothers. Why make your sisters widows?

"Please stop this suicidal confrontation."

The prime minister said this was no time for tit-for-tat vengeance. "I know such losses cannot be repaired ... No one knows more than I do how it feels to lose near and dear ones. "But do not take law in your own hands ... Even in such circumstances, do not resort to suicidal confrontation," she said.

"Confrontation breeds confrontation."

A second time in her short speech, she issued the warning: "I shall be forced to take any steps (necessary) in the interest of the people."

http://bdnews24.com/tik/1500h
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7911936.stm

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Postby Rahul M » 26 Feb 2009 15:00

pay and perks might have been the causus belli for the boots but it is very difficult to believe that the higher ranked planners had the same motive.

are we supposed to believe that higher ranked paramil aka police force has shown the guts to take on the BDA which for pete's sake ruled the country a couple of months back, all for pay ??
to what end ?? what would they have hoped to achieve ?

unless they had backers that they knew would come to their rescue.

Raju

Postby Raju » 26 Feb 2009 15:03

this seems like elaborate drama to bait Sheikh Hasina and her new govt. I would be truly (pleasantly) surprised if she escapes this without any harm or loss in influence.

Indian govt must be alert to the situation from this angle and ensure Hasina does not come to any harm..

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Postby Stan_Savljevic » 26 Feb 2009 15:08

Yes, could be a master-plan by the BDA (Moin U.) to get rid of two pro-India voices: Gen. Shakil Ahmed Chowdhury and Sh. Hasina in one fell swoop. Are they emulating their teachers -- the pakis here, killing their own self to protect their backsides?!

Multiple dots need to be connected here -- the grievances crap is just a smokescreen: Role of DGFI mastermind, Razakars issue, cozying up of Gen. Shakil with BSF, handover of Anup Chetia, transit noises from AL, crackdown on JMB and HuJI, marginalization of BNP by the electorate, paki/US influence.

Raju

Postby Raju » 26 Feb 2009 15:15

Could be like the 'Nepal unrest' which got rid of monarch Birendra Shah and then installed a puppet and then pro-US communists.

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Postby Stan_Savljevic » 26 Feb 2009 15:54

The BDR casualty numbers are going to be pretty huge as the army and RAB are rolling in with tanks, mortars etc. Even as the BDR cadre surrender, they may just get wiped out to be taught a lesson. The streets of Dhaka and Pilkhana are going to be red today. Advanced RIP to the about to be dead ones.

SMS FLASH: Army Tanks Moving to BDR Headquarters
Tanks move up Road # 27, Dhanmondi to close in on BDR HQ where
hundreds of rebels are holed in.

http://bdnews24.com/rah/1614h
Last edited by Stan_Savljevic on 26 Feb 2009 16:02, edited 2 times in total.

satya
BRFite

Postby satya » 26 Feb 2009 15:58

Ideological leanings & background of these ''50 BDR Officials" killed will provide the the concrete clue coupled with in haste amnesty to mutineer BDR troops .

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Postby Stan_Savljevic » 26 Feb 2009 16:05

son-in-law of inspector general of bangladesh police is missing

bda de-briefing civilians around BDR hq to get hold of where the bdr cadre are put up. someone claims to have seen white flags put up by bdr cadre.

Sh. Hasina speech already on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLKj0M7c0Rs

Another blog on the happenings
http://unheardvoice.net/blog/

8 officers have been rescued including one Lt. Col

There are as many as 50 tanks around dhanmondi shatmosjid road. RTV news is telling that the situation is getting worse, people are told to go to a safe place and if anything happens police will not take the blame, everyone is running here and there and thinks are looking pretty bad ATM, in Bangla they are saying ''thom thome obosta'' all around Dhaka. No reporters are able to talk with either army or RAB officials, it seems army is preparing to enter the BDR HQ. Unarmed BDR members are trying to blend in with the civilian outside to escape the slaughter that awaits them.

Channel 1 reporting firing in Chittagong, Jessore, Rajshahi.

Lt. Col Shams came out. 2 foreigners came out. The rebels were given time to surrender arms by 4 pm. The time has now passed. That’s why army has position. Waiting for the go order. 160 officer posted inside Pilkhana, 150 unaccounted. Two sources report: “BDR HQ has raised the white flag of surrender.” — 1 twit/ 1 quoting Banglavision

Good news is army is still moving in under government direction. Shahara khatun entered bdr 15 mins ago with nanok, and mirza azam according to nTV. channel 1 reports locals in hajaribagh area, gate 5 bdr jawans are escaping in civil dresses.

Seems like its over and the bdr have surrendered.
http://www.somewhereinblog.net/blog/ala ... m/28916978

Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Postby Dilbu » 26 Feb 2009 17:40

arka
BRFite -Trainee

Postby arka » 26 Feb 2009 18:06

There was report in a bengali news channel (kolkata tv) that Jamat-E-Islami(i hope i got the name right) is supporting the BDR.There was two procession in dhaka organised by jamat.Jamat lader raised slogans saying "janata BDR bhai bhai officer der rakta chai" which means people(read jamat) BDR are brothers kill all the officer.

putnanja
BRF Oldie

Postby putnanja » 27 Feb 2009 03:45

brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Postby brihaspati » 27 Feb 2009 03:58

During the 4-party rule there were always accusations that recruitment into the military and paramilitary was being increasingly influenced by the Islamic fundamentalists. This is consistent with the strategy followed increasingly by the Jihadi's to get younger recruits more likely to be brainwashed under Jihadi ideology into the military of subcontinental countries. Any genuine or perceived grievances can then be exploited by the Jihadi cells when necessary.

Gerard
Forum Moderator

Postby Gerard » 27 Feb 2009 06:29

Is it just a BDR mutiny?
After all, if Sheikh Hasina were to succeed in reviving the spirit of 1971, which has caught the popular imagination as never before, and steer her country away from debilitating Islamism, apart from crushing the Jamaat-e-Islami ruthlessly, Pakistan would lose its eastern flank, which it regained by proxy during Begum Khaleda Zia’s rule, once again. That’s not a very happy thought in either Rawalpindi or Islamabad.

Gerard
Forum Moderator

Postby Gerard » 27 Feb 2009 06:33

Gate of death
The sluice gate of a sewage line from BDR headquarters turned into a hole for the dead as more bodies of BDR officers killed in Wednesday's mutiny floated out of the gate at Nawabganj Bazar yesterday morning.
The bodies discovered yesterday were identified as those of Lt Col Kamruzzaman, Lt Col Anisuzzaman, Maj Mahbub, Col Zahid, Col Tauheed and Captain Mohammad Majharul Hayder, Lalbagh police said.
Since the first two bodies were found at the sluice gate in Hazaribagh, hundreds of locals including relatives of those who are missing have been watching the sewage pouring out of there.

vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Postby vsudhir » 27 Feb 2009 06:51

Yup, am already wondering what a sepoy mutiny in the tspa might look like..... And the lawd knows there are enough tablighi influenced beards amongst the rank and file that is some 27% Pushtun. The 'kill all 'em afsars' slogan could really find resonance in 'em bushy beards now....

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 27 Feb 2009 09:02

I think its more or less certain the BDR maj-gen commander was also killed and dumped in the sewer.

photos and report show people wearing orange check scarves of a UK based islami org named Hizb-ul-Tahrir . per TOI.

this was probably shot across Hasina's bows not to get cozy with india
or face domestic consequences.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 27 Feb 2009 09:11

TOI

Border with Bangla secure but situation serious: Officials
27 Feb 2009, 0344 hrs IST, Indrani Bagchi, TNN

NEW DELHI: Persistent threats to Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina continues to make the mutiny situation potentially explosive, but Indian officials,
following the developments in Dhaka closely, said that notwithstanding the surrender by BDR rebels, the situation was "serious" because the real planners and causes still remained unclear.

What is clear is that after 50 dead and many injured in the clashes, which spread to several cities in Bangladesh on Thursday, the security implications of the BDR rebellion is only now unfolding.

In a bland response, MEA on Thursday said it was "an internal matter for Bangladesh. We are confident they will resolve the situation amicably. As regards our border (with Bangladesh), the area is safe and secure".

But the concerns are deeper than that. For starters, the Bangladesh-India porous border has been virtually unguarded for the past 24 hours, which means it's easier for terrorists to infiltrate into India from these areas, where only Indian forces are on guard, which is the chief concern of Indian security forces right now.

In the end, it took a visit by army chief Moeen U Ahmed to Sheikh Hasina's office to crystallise the official response. Hasina abandoned the political tack — where negotiations failed — and moved in tanks in the afternoon, hours after a sternly worded appeal and deadline expired.

According to Maj Gen Muniruzzaman, from the Bangladesh Institute for Peace and Security Studies, this operation must have been planned for months. "It was a huge intelligence failure and has security implications of a grave nature for Bangladesh and India." He added that for India, this event increased the threat of movement of "transnational terrorists into India".

Former security official Bhaskar Roy said, "This will seriously affect the stability of the Hasina government."

The Bangladesh government and intelligence agencies were blind-sided by the revolt, but as the rebellion spread to other parts of the country, from Cox's Bazar, Chittagong and Naikhongchari in the south, Sylhet in the northeast, Rajshahi and Naogaon in the northwest and Dinajpur, it became clearer that there was a larger, more insider design to the rebellion. The rebels were seen wearing distinctive orange-coloured bandanas, colours belonging to a UK-based Islamist organisation, Hizb-ut-Tahrir. According to terrorism analysts, Tahrir has been focused on Bangladesh for the past couple of years to turn the nation into an Islamist caliphate.

The immediate dangers for Hasina are several: first, there will certainly be short-term instability in her fledgling government specially if a concerted effort is made to weed out the rebellious elements.

Second, there is a total collapse in the command structure in BDR, specially after it's clear that at least 12 senior commanders (including the director-general and his deputy) were killed and their bodies dumped in the sewer.

But more positively, the army, under Gen Moeen Ahmed, weighed in on the side of the Hasina government. In the past few years, the army has taken great pains to cleanse its cadres of BNP loyalists, though, after Thursday, some suspect that a few of those remain. In July 2008, an internal rebellion was crushed and subsequently, many senior officers were "purged". Brigadier Amin of the DGFI was removed. General Masood, the second-in-command in the army, was also removed. Masood is a brother-in-law of Khaleda Zia's brother, and officials are now checking to see whether some of this family connection could have been used.

Indian security agencies are looking at a Pakistan ISI angle, because of a deep closeness with the BDR and DGFI. In many ways, this was a massive intelligence failure. But given the DGFI-ISI ties, could there be a different explanation, sources here wondered.

Despite amnesty to the rebels, a certain cleansing process of the armed forces will have to be conducted. That will add to the instability. On the other hand, other disaffected, pro-BNP groups could have joined the rebels, but resisted. This could benefit the army.

On Tuesday, Hasina had addressed the BDR forces and made two points which sources said, stood out -- that there should be an end to smuggling by the BDR ranks, and that her government would not tolerate moves to make Bangladesh a springboard of terrorism against India.

This, many say, could have been the immediate trigger. BDR ranks have a legitimate grouse against the army both in terms of pay and perks as well as in terms of better overseas assignments like peacekeeping operations. This makes the army a better compensated group than the paramilitary BDR. Many BDR officers killed by the rebels were on deputation from the army, hence a target of the rebels' ire.

On the other hand, over the past 6-7 years, the BDR has been stuffed with cadres from JEI-JMB and BNP, as Islamism spread inside the paramilitary outfit which guards the Indian border. In these years, Islamists have used this border to smuggle in weapons and terrorists, trained by Pakistan's ISI.

ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby ArmenT » 27 Feb 2009 10:12

arka wrote:There was report in a bengali news channel (kolkata tv) that Jamat-E-Islami(i hope i got the name right) is supporting the BDR.There was two procession in dhaka organised by jamat.Jamat lader raised slogans saying "janata BDR bhai bhai officer der rakta chai" which means people(read jamat) BDR are brothers kill all the officer.

A closer translation would be "Nation (janata) and BDR are brothers, we want the officers blood"

nsa_tanay
BRFite -Trainee

Postby nsa_tanay » 27 Feb 2009 10:51

All is quite now. The mutiny has been quelled.
It is true that BDR service facilities and etc are a cause of grave concern, in spite of the fact, that its BDR who is always in a state of war and taking on the BSF is their day to day job.

The mutiny is only but natural. But its surely a HUGE intelligence failure. Dissidence of this size and magnitude must have been in the making for quite some time. And should not have gone unnoticed by the intelligence community.
I believe it has no India angle. The Jamat etc, are only trying to make political gain out of the situation.

nsa_tanay
BRFite -Trainee

Postby nsa_tanay » 27 Feb 2009 11:06

The rebels were seen wearing distinctive orange-coloured bandanas, colours belonging to a UK-based Islamist organisation, Hizb-ut-Tahrir. According to terrorism analysts, Tahrir has been focused on Bangladesh for the past couple of years to turn the nation into an Islamist caliphate.

I believe wearing the orange bandana and its similarities with London based Hizb-ut-Tahrir is merely a co incidence.

Vikas
BRF Oldie

Postby Vikas » 27 Feb 2009 11:58

Could it be a plot to kill the PM of BD just like her father but it went awfully wrong?

RayC
BRF Oldie

Postby RayC » 27 Feb 2009 12:21

It was a pay and perks issue.

The BD Army got a hefty raise and the BDR was forgotten.

The BDR wanted a slice of the UN Contingent too. The had asked the BDR Chief to raise it with the PM, but he did not and one jawan raised it while the BD Chief was taking the salute at a Parade commemorating the BDR week. The OR was asked to fall out and was put in the QG. nd then the fireworks started - so goes the version in the Telegraph.

Nesoj
BRFite

Postby Nesoj » 27 Feb 2009 12:41

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090227/jsp/frontpage/story_10599073.jsp

Change in Command :eek:

Command of the BDR which was earlier headed by a Major General, is now being temporarily handed over to a Subedar Major

Has there ever, in history, such a case where a JCO has been given command of so large a force or is it a GB of Records entry ?

Further, it appears that the 'senior most' in-house BDR Officer is only a JCO, and that all commissioned officers are from the BDA

Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby Virupaksha » 27 Feb 2009 13:07

makes sense. The BDR had no hope of becoming afsars.

RayC
BRF Oldie

Postby RayC » 27 Feb 2009 13:12

It appears that the BD Army officers of BDR are running scared that they will be killed and so they have abdicated the command to a Sub Maj, who is a BDR person.

Nesoj
BRFite

Postby Nesoj » 27 Feb 2009 14:25

Indian peace mission signal
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090227/jsp/frontpage/story_10599074.jsp
New Delhi, Feb. 26: India is offering to send a peace mission beyond borders to give security to the Calcutta-Dhaka-Calcutta Moitree Express on an explicit request from Dhaka in the wake of the mutiny by soldiers of the Bangladesh Rifles, highly placed sources in New Delhi have told The Telegraph.

Since Sri Lanka, such a venture to Bangladesh would be the first international bilateral peace mission by India. The Indian Peacekeeping Force of the army to Sri Lanka got embroiled in a tragic war and was aborted at enormous cost to life and limb.
In this instance, India is considering paramilitary forces such as the Central Reserve Police Force, the Railway Protection Force or, if Dhaka agrees, even the Border Security Force, with the exclusive mandate of escorting the trains, protecting passengers and preventing damage to engines and rakes of the goods trains.

Are we getting into another IPKF mess ? Why does India need to 'offer' ? Can't we just cancel rail services until things come back to normal. It's not that there will be severe economic hardship if Bangladeshi's don't come down to Kolkata for 'shopping' for the next couple of weeks.

Sanku
BRF Oldie

Postby Sanku » 27 Feb 2009 14:32

B Raman uvacha--

View: Trouble brews for India in East

Pretty confusing situation dunno whether BDR is izlamist or not:
BDR was anti-PA and the legacy continues -- BA was the one supporting Islamists in the past; however these days BDR has been the one having run in with India and not BA, which has actually supported the new Govt and democracy.

At the same time BDR still forms the bulwark of support for AL and SH.

Real mess we have here!!

Avinash R
BRFite

Postby Avinash R » 27 Feb 2009 16:51

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier but the death toll may rise above 100 with many people still missing.

Philip
BRF Oldie

Postby Philip » 27 Feb 2009 18:03

The mutiny sounds very fishy to one and could very well be a staged uprising to embarrass the new PM,Hasina,who was elected with a massive majority,crushing the hopes of the fundamentalists.One cannot rule out pro-Pak/ISI fifth columnists within the Bangladesh army itself staging this mutiny in a bid to unseat Hasina before she controls all the levers of power and establishes herself securely.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/fe ... ny-arrests
Bangladesh army quashes mutiny after guards massacre officers.

Hundreds of fleeing border guards held in crackdown on bloody revolt over pay

* Randeep Ramesh, South Asia correspondent
Bangladesh BDR munity

Members of the Bangladeshi army begin a search for missing officers after the end of the mutiny in Dhaka. Photograph: Abir Abdullah/EPA

Hundreds of fleeing border guards have been detained in an army crackdown in Bangladesh after a dispute over pay spiralled into a massacre of dozens of officers.

Soldiers set up road blocks across the country after many mutineers fled under cover of darkness. Troops from the Bangladesh Rifles (BDR), a paramilitary unit that patrols the country's borders, rose up against their commanders earlier this week.

Commander AK Azad, a spokesman for the elite Rapid Action Battalion, said more than 230 mutineers, who had discarded their uniforms, were rounded up on Thursday night in the capital, Dhaka. Dozens more were picked up 25 miles outside the city.

Security forces have set up highway checkpoints to search buses and are also boarding ferries as they look for more mutineers.

What is emerging is a sorry tale of bloody insubordination on a vast scale. More than 2,000 guards opened fire on their senior officers and seized their headquarters in Dhaka on Wednesday in a rebellion over poor pay.

The rebels wore red bandanas and sprayed bullets into the unit's officer corps at an annual "durbar", a meeting where the rank and file can bring their grievances to the officer corps.

There had been simmering resentment by the paramilitaries, who earn $100 a month, over the practice of appointing army officers to head the BDR. The border guards also do not participate in UN peacekeeping missions, which attracts additional pay.

Eyewitnesses told television channels that the mutineers led 11 officers out and shot them in cold blood. The commanding officer, Major General Shakil Ahmed, was reportedly mown down in a hail of gunfire, although authorities refuse to confirm any details.

"I was confronted by the soldiers three times, but I have survived," one of the officers, Lieutenant Colonel Syed Kamruzzaman, told ATN Bangla television station. "Allah has saved me from the face of death."

The official death toll of the bloody two-day revolt stands at 22 – many of them senior BDR officers – but it is reported that 34 bodies were recovered from a hole 15ft deep inside the BDR's military complex today and more than100 senior officers are still missing.

The crisis was the first real test for the new prime minister, Sheikh Hasina, who kept her nerve when it appeared the mutineers would not back down. She sent in tanks and warned the rebels they were on the path to suicide.

There were also real fears of a military putsch, a political reality in a country which as seen almost 20 failed coup attempts since it gained independence from Pakistan in 1971.

After two years under an army-backed "caretaker" government, the return to democratic rule in Bangladesh last month was never likely to be smooth.

The recriminations are likely to have a traumatic effect on Bangladesh's morale.

"The prime minister has said there will be clemency," said Shahedul Anam Khan, a retired brigadier general. "I can understand the amnesty for troops who defied the chain of command. But for those that took part in cold-blooded murder there will be no mercy. An army and a country cannot function otherwise."

Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”