Bangladesh News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Shafqat
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Bangladesh News and Discussion

Post by Shafqat »

Rahul M wrote: it may interest you that the BDs, especially those that are meant in your post always refer to themselves as bangladeshis and frown when they are called bengalis, in an effort to distance themselves from the bengali speaking population of India.
Not me, Rahul. I am a proud Bengali and a Bangladeshi, and I never felt that these two identities clash with each other!

But yes, there are such people ... just to make my position clear w.r.t. to those 8)
Shafqat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shafqat »

Chandragupta wrote:It's only a matter of time before the BD media & public opinion goes anti-India & starts blaming India & RAW for the massacre. Completely ungrateful people, these Bangladeshis. Proves that no matter how you treat them, no matter where they are, Muslims will always stick with their own kin, in this case, the Pigs from Piggistan.
Chandragupta, I think it's becoming a stretch. Using your own logic and text, I can very well claim that no matter what we Bangladeshis do, we'll always be subjected to "Completely ungrateful people", "Muslims will always stick with their own kin" ... such words. Every nation has its sides, and more so for an ideologically divided nation like ours. So if anyone searchs for dirt from their point of view, there's always plenty on one side. And as expected, the followers of Piggistan (I love this name! :D) have come out with RAW conspiracy theories and they now find more blame with the AL govt's handling the situation than the murderers who did the killings in the first place. But you cannot paint the whole country in one brush.
Shafqat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shafqat »

g.sarkar wrote:Raybabu,
Unfortunately, there are no "angels" in Bangladesh. I am related by marriage to a Bangladeshi and have had contacts to many Bangladeshi here in the US. From them I gather that Mujib ultimately was a fool that let his guard down and allowed power to go to his head. He always promoted corrupt cronies over more competent people. He took instantenous Tughlaki decisions that were not planned properly. This turned everybody against him. In the end he had no friends left. Even his supporters did not mourn him in the US. My relative tells me (and he belongs to the majority community in Bangladesh) that the mass migration of Hindus and the killings of educated people in Bangladesh by the Pakistanis has left the country without much talent. Only, "low class" (his words) people have survived and prospered. They have no culture, background or education. Only a generation back these people were plain peasants and beggars. They are now in top, becoming officers in the army and their uncles are ambassadors in the different capitals of the world. They are ready to sell themselves to anyone for a small sum of money. He relates an incident of a failed coup started by the BD airforce that was financed by Col. Gaddafi for just 5 million dollars. Right now money is flowing into Bangladesh from Saudi Arabia and given to Islamic parties. The result can be seen in the streets with girls in hijab and men in flowing beards. With the Hindus gone from their land, they have only to bite each other in fraustration and blame India for all their misfortunes. The last point is very important. Most Bangladeshis that I know hate themselves and their country, and when they see India's prosperity they hate India with a singlemindedness. India should stay out of their affair, as whatever they did, they will be blamed for BDs state of affairs. India has nothing to gain there. Build the fence around BD even a meter higher than that has planned and keep them away.Gautam
I would also like to know his definition of a "low class". Low economic class, I presume? Or does he mean the families of peasants and beggars have taken over the country now? No personal offense to you intended, but your relative is a fool ... and seems to have a very narrow knowledge of 'his/her' own country. Is it his class superiority or dynasty superiority complex, I don't know, but it sure sounds like one. Yes, the mass migration of Hindus and the 1971 killings (both Hindus and Muslims) were devastating, but to deduce that there is no culture or education left in the country is utter rubbish. There is not enought time or space on this forum to refute such arguments, but I wish I could face this person myself to have a chat or two.

Like Stan has devoted time and resources to understand the dynamics of this debacle, I would encourage the readers (those who haven't yet) to devote a little more time to know more about the society before believing others' stupid words. Most of your comments about the political systems and the local and 'foren' parties at play are correct. But such utter baseless personal opinions are dangerous.

I am not sure which Bangladeshis you are refering to here, but I believe I know more and most that I have seen are not like that. They do not hate themselves, and they do not hate their country either. They may choose to emigrate to the richer countries for a better economic future - but so may many Indians. They envy India's prosperity for sure, but only to be like that. They look at India's growth with an 'awe' (couldn't find the right word, I mean, surprise+commendation) and they wish they could replicate that. I mentioned in the other post, that the right-wing followers of piggistan are not like that as they always try to find the hand of 'evil India' in everything ... but apparently, they don't rule the country, do they? They ain't the majority either, as the elections clearly showed.

Finally, I second g.sarkar's last sentence (underlined). Finish the goddamn border fence already!!! That will take care a lot of your and our own problems.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Finally, I second g.sarkar's last sentence (underlined). Finish the goddamn border fence already!!! That will take care a lot of your and our own problems.
Thank you Bangla(desi) bhai.

This thread was going nowhere before your measured perspective parachuted in.

So tell me, in yopur measured opinion, will the razakars and war criminals meet justice, btw? Will it be secular justice or islamic justice? What're the odds they'll die of old age and in peace?

And is there any chance of BD granting transit rights to India's NE? And why not? So what is BD's problem with India accessing her NE theu BD by paying forex transit fees?

The fence is a grand idea. But fencing the Indo-BD border 100% is infeasible. The boundaries change, for one, with river flows.

Anyway, my main concern is what to do with the BD illegals already inside India. The yindoo ones can be granted asylum on the basis of genuine religious persecution. The muslims will have to be sent back. BD will loudly fret fume and deny they are BD citizens even if they themselves admit to it, I predict.
Last edited by vsudhir on 03 Mar 2009 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

I support Shafqat's assessemnt of Bangladeshis. But I would qualify this with the feeling that social strength is not always measured by numbers. A small group of elite can dominate a society by various means, and I would say that the balance of forces in favour of Bengali nationalism and cultural identity is slightly weaker or evenly balanced against the forces of theologians and their networks among the elite including the most significant elite of BD - its political elite and the military. Over time the Bengali nation may finally emerge out of its profound dilemmas about Islam, Pakistan and "Bangaliana/Banaglittwa" but the confusions and the debates and the conflicts are still far from over.

The border fence is a good but impracticable idea. India should engage and help those forces within BD which seek real liberation - for the political liberation from TSP has been partially achieved, but BD's liberation from the religious bottomless pit its elite once cast it is yet to be undertaken.
Shafqat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shafqat »

brihaspati wrote:I support Shafqat's assessemnt of Bangladeshis. But I would qualify this with the feeling that social strength is not always measured by numbers. A small group of elite can dominate a society by various means, and I would say that the balance of forces in favour of Bengali nationalism and cultural identity is slightly weaker or evenly balanced against the forces of theologians and their networks among the elite including the most significant elite of BD - its political elite and the military. Over time the Bengali nation may finally emerge out of its profound dilemmas about Islam, Pakistan and "Bangaliana/Banaglittwa" but the confusions and the debates and the conflicts are still far from over.
I agree that this fight is far from over. The generation that oversaw the creation of the country (our fathers' generation) were probably best equipped to resolve this crisis in the new country - but it has only widened during that time. May take few more generations, I'm afraid.

I would say the forces are about 50-50 balanced and it will need constant work to tip the balance in the favour of the saner side. The other side is very hard at work - as we all see. Even the army is not as jehadized as many says - and my honest scare is, that might be the very reason this recent strike was aimed at them. For the last two years, the army was critical in maintaining the sanity of the nation and towards a peaceful election (the many UN missions may have helped in their enlightenment and prepared them in maintaining civil/civic duties/responsibilites, just my opinion). The right-wing elements were sidelined and it is very possible that they tried to avenge through this mutiny crap.

This was two birds with one stone for them - showing that even the army or democracy cannot control their reach - and may have been a signal to 'the other side' in the army to step in. Worst case, it also opened the possibility of recruitment of the 'right' people in the future and may have already strengthened 'the other side'. One strike did more damage to the army than a war could have. It is clear that serious people, money, motivation, and support went behind the operation - this was not just the BDR sepoys. This was aimed at the very heart of the army - and I think the repurcussions may not have ended yet. I'll have my fingers crossed for the next few weeks.

Given our bloody and convoluted history, the REAL killers or consipirators are never revealed. So may happen this time around too. I'm hopeful in the way Hasina and Moeen have handled things so far (she faced off with 300+ angry army officers in the cantonment yesterday for more than 3 hours) - hope the saner heads prevail at the end.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Shafqat wrote: Worst case, it also opened the possibility of recruitment of the 'right' people in the future and may have already strengthened 'the other side'.
This sentence stuck me....precisely the reason I feel BDR CANNOT be disbanded.... but OTOH how would you separate the wheat from the chaff???!!!
As many other BRFites put it Hasina's govt will be tested by how they handle the BDR cadre :(... But seeing the AL track record of corruption I dont see anything good happening :roll:

just my 2 cents
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Shafqat,

Welcome to the forum.

Good to have a Bengladeshi giving us the local interpretation.

I have some questions:

1. What is the inter se slot in Bangladeshi politics of the political parties. the Jamaait, the Judiciary and the Army? Are the Jamaait and the Army as powerful to BD politics as they are in Pakistan?

2. What is the equation between BD and Pakistan? China is a common friend and what is her influence in fostering a close equation between BD, Pakistan and China?

3. What is the role of Chaudhuri, the shipping magnate, who is suing (in the US) one of the Indian channels which stated that he is close to the ISI and has given huge sums to oil the mutiny?

4. Is there any possibility of a coup?

5. What is the disposal of the Razaakars? I believe some staunchly defend that they are Pakistanis, while there are many others who have taken the BD citizenship, but will not speak Bengali?!
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

RayC wrote:Shafqat,

Welcome to the forum.
That should read: Welcome back to the forum.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Shafqat wrote: Not me, Rahul. I am a proud Bengali and a Bangladeshi, and I never felt that these two identities clash with each other!
But yes, there are such people ... just to make my position clear w.r.t. to those 8)
Actually the identity if Bangladeshis as Bengalis is not a very old one. Before The partition occurred, the identity of the two main groups living in east Bengal were "Bengalis" and "Mussalman". It was much later that the Muslims of East Pakistan started calling themselves "Bengalis". To be more precise,they became Bengalis when Urdu was forced upon them. Bhasa andolan is not very old as far as the life time of a nation goes. I would refer you to articles written by Annada Shankar Ray, who had written some articles on this topic in Sharadiya Desh Patrika.
Gautam
Last edited by g.sarkar on 03 Mar 2009 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Shafqat wrote: I would also like to know his definition of a "low class". Low economic class, I presume? Or does he mean the families of peasants and beggars have taken over the country now? No personal offense to you intended, but your relative is a fool ... and seems to have a very narrow knowledge of 'his/her' own country. Is it his class superiority or dynasty superiority complex, I don't know, but it sure sounds like one. Yes, the mass migration of Hindus and the 1971 killings (both Hindus and Muslims) were devastating, but to deduce that there is no culture or education left in the country is utter rubbish. There is not enought time or space on this forum to refute such arguments, but I wish I could face this person myself to have a chat or two.

Like Stan has devoted time and resources to understand the dynamics of this debacle, I would encourage the readers (those who haven't yet) to devote a little more time to know more about the society before believing others' stupid words. Most of your comments about the political systems and the local and 'foren' parties at play are correct. But such utter baseless personal opinions are dangerous.

I am not sure which Bangladeshis you are refering to here, but I believe I know more and most that I have seen are not like that. They do not hate themselves, and they do not hate their country either. They may choose to emigrate to the richer countries for a better economic future - but so may many Indians. They envy India's prosperity for sure, but only to be like that. They look at India's growth with an 'awe' (couldn't find the right word, I mean, surprise+commendation) and they wish they could replicate that. I mentioned in the other post, that the right-wing followers of piggistan are not like that as they always try to find the hand of 'evil India' in everything ... but apparently, they don't rule the country, do they? They ain't the majority either, as the elections clearly showed.
No Sir, my definition of low class has nothing to do with economics. I thought my thoughts were clear, but if you still chose not understand, then let me try one more time. Low class is when you start growing a long flowing beard and tell me that only a Muslim can go to "Behest"! Low class is when you start peppering your sentences with "Alhamdullilah", "Inshallah", when you are talking to a Hindu in Bengali. As you write, the killings of Hindus by the Pak army was devastating. But that was for the Hindus. For the Bangladeshi Muslims it was good riddance, and an opportunity to take over their land and property. The number of Hindus have fallen in Bangladesh, because they do not feel secure there, with their life, their property and their faith. And they have voted with their feet. Now, as I said my relative is a part of the Majority community there, that is the code word for being a Musalman. If you think he is a fool then it is just your opinion, every one has one like an A.H. I think he is just being honest. And he is not the only one that has told me about the situation there. Historically, most of the educational institutes in East Bengal was founded by the Hindus living there. From the time of Ayub Hindus were targeted. During the time of Yahya all Hindus and educated Muslims were targeted for destruction. There is nothing controversial about this, every one knows this. The problem is this Mian: You have already formed an opinion. To know more of Bangladesh, you need to learn history. From the time of Ayub, history is no longer taught in Pakistani schools. So, a chat will not help. You need to unlearn a lot of stuff that you have assumed to be correct.
Gautam
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

What do we have here? Incriminating evidence or what -- Chinese folks found in BDR hq.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/n ... ?nid=78209

Seizure of various firearms and equipment on BDR Headquarters premises yesterday confused the army personnel and other investigators of the assassination of military officers. Besides, it is suspected that some members of the Rifles Security Unit (RSU) were also involved in the carnage, sources inform.

The sources say the personnel from various agencies including army, navy and fire service yesterday recovered several grenades, huge number of firearms, ammunition and other equipment including binoculars, walky-talkies and slings of SMGs. Recovery of two binoculars and the belts of SMGs confuses the army and others investigators as these are used neither by the Bangladesh Army and BDR nor by any other government agencies.

Lt Ashiquzzaman of Bangladesh Navy told The Daily Star navy personnel recovered an LMG, five SMGs, two rifles, one pistol, 30 loaded magazines, and 2,000 bullets. Other recovered explosives, arms and ammunition include 24 grenades, 16 walky-talkies, several thousand bullets of various guns, huge number of uniforms and shoes of the soldiers and their credit cards. Earlier, about 10,000 bullets and several firearms and grenades were recovered from the BDR Headquarters. Some other arms and explosives were also recovered from neighbouring areas. Sources say these arms, ammunition and explosives were left behind by the soldiers.

After recovering the arms and equipment, army officials exhibited those to the media at the hall room of Rifle Paribar Kalyan Samity (Ripoks) and the arsenal of BDR. They also let journalists observe all the places and recovered arms and ammunition and also answered their queries. Maj Awal said, "The two binoculars recovered in a search really confused us as these are used by neither the army, BDR and police nor any other government agencies in the country."

He suspects other parties imported these binoculars from outside. "The SMGs recovered are used by BDR but the belts are not, which is another mystery to us," Maj Awal added. He also said they recovered some walky-talkies which are used by RSU. "We suspect some field-level RSU members might have been involved in the carnage and they did not make aware their senior officials," Maj Awal said. "If they informed the blueprint of the conspirators, the incident could not have been so brutal."

Sources say a huge number of arms were found under the beds and pillows of the sepoys. Besides, most of the doors to the arsenal and the office of RSU and all the boxes of the firearms were found broken. Some of the army officials said they suspect the culprits might have left behind various other materials in the ponds. If the ponds are thoroughly searched it could be helpful in unfolding the mystery, they added.

Apart from this, personnel from the army and fire service dug out huge ashes from a hole at a place in between Ripoks and Darbar Hall. Maj Awal said the hole was dug out with the suspicion that it was a mass grave but no body was found there. "But this huge quantity of ashes hidden into the hole confused us," he said. "The CID investigation team would probe it whether the culprits have burned something important and later hid those in the hole."

Moreover, another mystery over the presence of two foreign nationals, a female and a male, inside the BDR headquarters was yet to be unfolded Witnesses say foreign nationals Tang Yunpeng, 30, and Xang Zhaoua, 28, came out of the BDR Headquarters in the afternoon on February 26. Sources say the reason behind their stay at the BDR HQ could not be known and they also did not make any comment on the condition during the hostage period.
Old news from the 27th - http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/n ... ?nid=77654

Two confined Chinese nationals, Tang Yunpeng, 30, and Xang Zhaoua, 28, were also rescued at about 5:00pm yesterday. But the reason behind their stay in the BDR Headquarters could not be known. They also did not make any comment on the condition during held hostage.

So it also turns out that these were Chinese women -- from a dated report

Two Chinese women came out at around 5pm. They refused to speak to reporters, but their travel bag tags showed their names as Xang and Tang Yun Peng and had Feb. 4 stamped as their arrival date in Bangladesh.

Were they just comfort women trying to do a Mata-Hari or were the Chinese around for the Ruppur business in some form? - A dated article
http://www.bangladeshnews.com.bd/2008/0 ... r-project/

China will provide special preferential treatment for access of some Bangladeshi products to its market to reduce the prevailing trade imbalance between the two countries and cooperate in paving the way for implementation of the Ruppur Nuclear Power Plant. It assured cooperation in constructing two more bridges–Meghna and Gomti bridges–in Bangladesh. China will also consider Bangladesh’s request for engaging itself in the Bangladesh-Myanmar road link scheme meant for enhancing trade and people-to-people contact.

The assurances came during official talks between Chief Adviser Fakhruddin Ahmed and Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao at the Great Hall of the People yesterday. It was hoped at the official talks that trade volume between the two countries would reach a targeted $5billion by 2010. The talks lasted about an hour, covering politics, trade and economic cooperation and investment as well as agricultural cooperation.

The chief adviser requested China’s involvement in Bangladesh-Myanmar road communications to connect Kunming of China with the trans-border road link and sought Chinese government’s cooperation in constructing a 111-kilometer road. Responding positively to Bangladesh’s request, the Chinese side said they would talk to Myanmar. Similarly, Bangladesh side said they would also carry it forward with Myanmar. The meeting emphasised tripartite meeting involving Bangladesh, Myanmar and China.

Responding to the request of the chief adviser, the Chinese side instantly declared that they would double the present number of Bangladesh’s student scholarships from 50 to 100. At the official talks it was told that China would send a delegation to Bangladesh over the matter of Ruppur Nuclear Power Plant. On investment, Bangladesh offered to set up a special economic zone for China. The Chinese side showed interest, saying that top Chinese companies will invest in Bangladesh. They also assured that China would extend cooperation in setting up North-West Fertilizer Company in Bangladesh.

The chief adviser said China’s technical know-how and Bangladesh workers and cheap labour force can make up a “win-win situation” for trade and investment for both the countries. Defence and technical cooperation between Bangladesh and China was also discussed and the two sides hoped that the cooperation would be further strengthened.

Foreign Adviser Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury, Foreign Secretary Touhid Hossian, CA’s Press Secretary Syed Fahim Munaim, Bangladesh Ambassador to China Munshi Faiz Ahmed and Secretary of CA’s Office Kazi Aminul Islam from Bangladesh side, while Chinese foreign minister, vice- minister of commerce, Chinese ambassador to Dhaka and assistant minister for foreign affairs were present at the official talks.

After the talks, an agreement on economic and technical cooperation and two memoranda of understanding (MoU) on hydrological information on the Brahmaputra river and on agricultural technical cooperation were signed. Foreign Secretary M Touhid Hossain and Bangladesh Ambassador in Beijing Munshi Faiz Ahmed and two vice-ministers and head of Agriculture Academy signed the agreement and MoUs on behalf of their respective sides. Chief Adviser Fakhruddin and the Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao witnessed the signing ceremony.

The chief adviser also met Chinese President Hu Jintao and Vice-president Xi Jinping. The top leaders of the present-day economic superpower–its president, premier and vice-president–remarked that the Bangladesh-China friendship is “an all-weather friendship” that remains alive overcoming various issues. The Chinese rulers assured Bangladesh of all-out cooperation in accelerating its socioeconomic development.

They said the visit of the chief adviser will remain as a “milestone” in the friendship between Bangladesh and China. After the talks, Foreign Adviser Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury and CA’s Press Secretary Syed Fahim Munaim briefed newsmen about the outcome of official talks, The chief adviser yesterday called on Chinese President Hu Jintao at the Great Hall of People.

During the meeting, the Chinese president said Bangladesh-China relations are very excellent and based on comprehensive partnership of cooperation and the visit by Bangladesh’s chief adviser will further boost the existing ties. He appreciated Bangladesh’s support to China in successfully hosting the Beijing Olympics 2008 and Paralympics Beijing 2008. He also expressed gratitude as Bangladesh stood beside China during recent earthquake and sent medicines and tents and other relief supplies, which reflect the “deep friendship” between the two countries. The Chinese president assured all-out cooperation in socioeconomic development of Bangladesh.
At this stage, the puzzle is wtf were the Chinese doing inside BDR hq in Pilkhana? Were they a target for some showmanship? If so, was there a faction in BDA/BDR/RAB trying to squeeze the Chinese in decreasing the prices downwards and the rest was "friendly fire" -- or was the action in Pilkhana a multi-purpose one?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Round about the caldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.—
Toad, that under cold stone,
Days and nights has thirty-one;
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!
ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
2 WITCH. Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Pointless flame bait deleted.
Shafqat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shafqat »

g.sarkar wrote:No Sir, my definition of low class has nothing to do with economics. I thought my thoughts were clear, but if you still chose not understand, then let me try one more time. Low class is when you start growing a long flowing beard and tell me that only a Muslim can go to "Behest"! Low class is when you start peppering your sentences with "Alhamdullilah", "Inshallah", when you are talking to a Hindu in Bengali. As you write, the killings of Hindus by the Pak army was devastating. But that was for the Hindus. For the Bangladeshi Muslims it was good riddance, and an opportunity to take over their land and property. The number of Hindus have fallen in Bangladesh, because they do not feel secure there, with their life, their property and their faith. And they have voted with their feet. Now, as I said my relative is a part of the Majority community there, that is the code word for being a Musalman. If you think he is a fool then it is just your opinion, every one has one like an A.H. I think he is just being honest. And he is not the only one that has told me about the situation there. Historically, most of the educational institutes in East Bengal was founded by the Hindus living there. From the time of Ayub Hindus were targeted. During the time of Yahya all Hindus and educated Muslims were targeted for destruction. There is nothing controversial about this, every one knows this. The problem is this Mian: You have already formed an opinion. To know more of Bangladesh, you need to learn history. From the time of Ayub, history is no longer taught in Pakistani schools. So, a chat will not help. You need to unlearn a lot of stuff that you have assumed to be correct.
Gautam
I'm afraid I find your newer post more off the mark. Yes, I realized that your relative is a muslim, and that made me wonder even more. So basically it's his opinion versus mine. I don't care if Pakistani schools teach history or not, the ones in Bangladesh do, and my father taught history for 40 years. If growing up with thousands of history books didn't teach me anything about my own country, nothing else ever will. Maybe we can rest this discussion here.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Shaf, welcome back and hope its a happy married life. In your absence, we had Sumit-mia and other trolls spoil this thread with an agenda. Please take some time to lurk on this thread as often as possible.

The BD mayhem and the mayhem against SL cricketers seem connected even though its too early to place the dots in one place.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Chetak, what is your point? Or agenda?
Shafqat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shafqat »

Ananth wrote:That should read: Welcome back to the forum.
Thanks, Ananth.

The funny thing is, I am still shown as a BRFite-Trainee with single digit posts!!! Is this a tech glitch, or was my posting history purged somehow ... any clue?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Shafqat wrote:
Rahul M wrote: it may interest you that the BDs, especially those that are meant in your post always refer to themselves as bangladeshis and frown when they are called bengalis, in an effort to distance themselves from the bengali speaking population of India.
Not me, Rahul. I am a proud Bengali and a Bangladeshi, and I never felt that these two identities clash with each other!

shaf, I'm well aware that not all are like that, hence the bolded part.

but I have to agree with g sarkar's relative to some extent. the purges of the east pakistan era selectively eliminated a major part of the intellectual class, in turn destroying the environment in which future generations would have been nurtured.
the survivors of the thinking elite were unsuccessful in their effort to recreate that in spite of a prolonged conflict.
the result are now for all of us to see, in every public post and even in academia(those who stay in BD I might add, the best of course leaves), most BDs I come across really don't deserve to be there, which is unfortunate.
while the army is not necessarily a pro-islamist force, it isn't for meritocracy either.
hopefully situation will improve and the islamists will be sidelined, only that can save BD from becoming a pakistan.
The funny thing is, I am still shown as a BRFite-Trainee with single digit posts!!! Is this a tech glitch, or was my posting history purged somehow ... any clue?
forum update reset the counter for all of us !
welcome back !
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Rishi wrote:Chetak, what is your point? Or agenda?
Rishi ji,

I have no agenda. :) but I have a point to make

My point is that we should take care to look out for ourselves and not get suckered by the POV of our neighbors.
The reality of the paki or bangladeshi POV is plain for all to see.
We are frustrated by this POV at every turn be it economics, foreign policy or border management. Be it transit routes or gas pipelines or water or what have you.
We are unable to fence the borders, are we short of barbed wire?
Yes there will be infiltration etc etc but at least large scale smuggling with active involvement from guys from our side of the border will slow down if not stop.
Thousands of illegals crossing the borders will slow down. We have illegal bangladeshis and pakistanis in Bangalore. Why? How?

or should one not ask?

BDs working on construction projects and taking away Indian jobs is the least of our problems, its what comes after.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Taken from "Bhorer Kagaj" Dated March 3, 2009. Bangladeshis react to Pranabs offer of help to Sheikh Hasina:
http://www.bangladeshnews24.com/bhorerk ... ws0596.php
Bhuiyan, a momen from germany
"bdr conspirecy it is our won problem it will be solution in our won intilligencey .we want nobody for our internal affairs .my oppinion we can solve every worst situation ."
faruq from russia
"all ready we are fall in tract of international politics through BDR drama."
Gobindo from Sudan
"from Neighbour is one of the best friend, in any crisis moment people need to take assistance from them. Through this process we can build up our friendship and relation with others."
DoorDristi from uk
" My dear Gobindo, I agree with your principle but we have a TV programme in the uk called 'neighbours from hell'. Yes, we can live and behave like neighbours on an equal footing which I think is impossible with India. Just look at Nepal and Bhutan, how India has swallowed them and then sput them back, copletely crippled and unfunctional. We Bangladeshies are much more smarter than that. We love our freedom and will do anything to defend it. And about help with our investigation, We say thank you but no thank you. Hands off."
KOKOM from usa
"INDIA WANT HELP THANKS . IF WE NEED HELP USA MAY HELP US . WHY INDIA THEY WANT HELP US THEY MAKE THIS PROBLEM NOW WHAT ? INDIA DID SAME THING FOR MALDIP . 0NE DRAMA . NOW PALYING ANOTHER DRAMA IN BANGLA DESH. EVEN THEIR MEDIA PLAYING NUD E PRBAGANDA SHAME TO YOU INDIA ,SHAME GOBINDO BE THINKING THEM FRIEND . EVEN BANGLDESHI STREET DOG KNOW WHAT INDIA IS DOING . SRI LANKA , NEPAL, BHUTAN SHEKIM .PAKISTAN , MALDEEP AND NOW BANGLADESH. BADMOUTH from
INDIA CAN BE A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF US, THEY ARE VERY GOOD, FRIENDLY, WELBEHAVED, WISH TO GIVE US HAVEN, BUT THEE IS A SMALL PROBLEM WITH THEM, THEY ONLY KNOW THREE PERSONS,
WE, US AND OURSELVES....SO..........."
sakil sairniabat from hong_kong
"Yes, India is a friend but friends should not interfare in our internal matter.We are bangali from bangladesh.Can do very well by ourselves.Neither India nor Pakistan is our real friend.Infact we are one when it comes to our independence & sovreignty.(I dont mean Jamayat with us) So,India thank you but sorry no thank you."
Raja from
"Dada anek sundor katha bolechen kintu kajer belay onnoy rakom. Proman apnar protibeshi sab desher sathei apnader boiri somporko. srilankai giechilen juddho badhiechen. Banladesher sathe sakol somossha jie rekhechen. onnanoder satheo ekoi abostha. amader kemon somriddho desh chan etei bojha jay."
malik nj usa from usa
"some people are either stupid-uneducated, or naive in politics. India is our worst enemy. look what they are doing with their own bengali-muslim, panjabi-sikh, Dolito people. look at the border, rememer South Talpotti, tin-biga, arai-thana near jakignj, sylhet border. smuggling goods to bangldesh, push in their own citizen to bd. killing bangldeshi people and bdr everyday. news propaganda everywhere in the world. guys don't be emotional. India, America, pakistan, european union let alone saudiarabia nobody is our friend. mainly WE HAVE TO BE SMART. IF ISARAIL A COUNTRY WITH 20 MILLION JEWS CAN FIGHT AGAINS ALL ARABS WHY NOT BANGLADESH AGAINST INDIA OFCOURSE WHEN IT IS NECESSARY BUT WE HAVE TO BE PREPARED. WE CAN HAVE WORLD'S 4TH OR 5TH LARGEST ARMY AND WHEN THERE IS NO CLASH WE CAN USE THEM AS A TEACHER, DOCTOR, HELP MAKING ARMS FOR BANGLADESH AND SELL. IF WE HAVE STRONGEST MILITARY ALL COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD TALK TO US WITH RESPECT. THINK THIS WAY THEY WAY INDIA, PAKISTAN, RUSSIA TALKING TO US CAN WE DO SAME TO THEM? NO. THINK WHY? WE HAVE TO EARN THAT RESPECT. NOBODY WILL GIFT YOU RESPECT."
rafiq from usa
"mar ar theke mashir dorod beshi.......go to hell u mallu......we do know how to defend our freedom and we will......."
ABMK from usa
"PRANABDA THANKS FOR THE OFFER BUT NO WE DON'T NEED YOUR HELP.ACTUALLY THAT IS YOUR MASTER PLAN,CREATING CAOUS BETWEEN ARMY AND BDR,WEAKENED OUR DEFENCE FORCE,THEN YOU SEND INDIAN ARMY AS PEACE FORCE.THEN YOU CAN FULFILL INDIAS AGENDA.WE WONT LET THAT HAPPEN."
Masood from canada
"Dada,
Can you show a single example that you have a good relationship with your neighbour? Your reply will be 'All your neighbours are not good!' It is obvious what are you doing in Srilanka, Maldives, Nepal, Bhutan, Pakistan and now in Bangladesh. You have choosen a good time to kill two birds at one shot! Your country is full of terrorist, you can't handle them and you are proposing your help!
Why, to vanish all the proofs against you????"
Sohag from japan
"What an offer from our dada????? There is a proverb "juta mere goru dan". Whats kind of shohojogita does dada can give to our country?? Oh ya they can send their intelligence team "RAW" and can easily deceive our govt and then can complete their main mission which was planned long time ago. I am totally agree with Badmouth ..INDIA ONLY KNOW THREE PERSONS,
WE, US AND OURSELVES....If you wanna prove then pls its a request to make friendship with an indian family just only for 2 months.,.... "

Gautam
PS I have not tried to correct the language or the spelling of the writers.
Nesoj
BRFite

Post by Nesoj »

chetak wrote:BDs working on construction projects and taking away Indian jobs is the least of our problems, its what comes after.
Are these BD's employed by BD's... they are employed by 'us' for economic reasons.. cheaper, more gullible. Why blame the poor uneducated illegals, its we who are to blame. If ever, the GoI enacts laws that penalizes the employer, only then would migration stop.

Again smuggling, false ID, infilteration..... all this occurs with the connivance of Indians and blaming the BD's for this is like the 'pot calling the kettle black'. Certain Indian political parties encourage mass resttlement as it creates a vote bank for them... who is to blame....
Let's not start seeing 'conspiracies' at every turn .... I don't think every illegal migrant enters India with a grand plan to 'destabilize' India... he is more concerned in earning a few Rs to support his family back home.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Shafqat wrote: I'm afraid I find your newer post more off the mark. Yes, I realized that your relative is a muslim, and that made me wonder even more. So basically it's his opinion versus mine. I don't care if Pakistani schools teach history or not, the ones in Bangladesh do, and my father taught history for 40 years. If growing up with thousands of history books didn't teach me anything about my own country, nothing else ever will. Maybe we can rest this discussion here.
I am sorry if I disappointed you. I was talking of undivided Pakistan, that included East Pakistan. During the time of FM Ayub Khan, when teaching of history was stopped in schools. The problem was that he did not want to include the history of Hindus in the school history books of Pakistan. That created some obvious problems. He solved it by removing history alltogether and teaching history only as a part of social studies. This way he could pick and chose the periods that were Islamic and relevant to his historic view point. I can very easily find out if the practice has continued in Bangladesh. Regarding resting the discussion here:Jo hukum Janab.
Gautam
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Has this news been posted before? If so its a fairly big developments and if BD authorities are not trying to do anything fishy the truth should be out soon.

Ring leader of BDR revolt arrested; troops launch manhunt
Deputy Assistant Director of the BDR Touhidul Alam who led a rebel delegation in talks with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, has been taken into custody while attempting to flee the country, said Nabo Jyoti Khisha, the chief of Lalbagh police station where a case has been filed.
Any one knows about this person Touhidul Alam? His background etc?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

There is no running away from the fact that there are many Bangladeshi who have been indoctrinated to believe that India will 'gobble' Bangladesh.

Observe the Bangladesh Defence Forum for these elements and observe their convoluted 'logic' akin to that of the inmates of Lumibini Park!

Khaleda Zia and her cohorts who have strong links with Pakistan are the ones who whip up such frenzy.

The poor sods who have appended their opinion in the newspaper as quoted above don't understand that if India wanted to 'gobble' Bangaldesh, the ideal time was after the Liberation! The fact that it did not, is proof enough that India is not interested in burdening herself with another breadbasket case!

The present environment is ideal wherein Bangladesh is an independent country chalking her own destiny as best as she can and India moving along her own destiny.

If there has been a mutiny in Bangladesh, it does worry India since there can be a fall out, wherein the mutineers being pursued may take refuge in India by sneaking in. That will be a real dangerous situation.

Mutinies and coups are a popular pastime in Pakistan and with those who were once Pakistanis and who brook nostalgic feeling for Pakistan.
Nesoj
BRFite

Post by Nesoj »

Sanku wrote: If so its a fairly big developments and if BD authorities are not trying to do anything fishy the truth should be out soon.
I feel a very welcome developement is the 'parallel' investigation set up yesterday by the Army. This is being independently conducted by the army lead by the ex-head of the BDR.
The 'official investigation team' was also increased to 11 members, with 4 members ( 1 each from 3 services + Judge Advocate General) Anyone on the team (Sahara etc), that were involved in any way in the incident have been replaced

These 2 teams should ensure proper checks and balances in the final report, with chances of 'cover-up' lessened
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

BANGLADESH: Return Of The Razakaars?
http://www.southasiaanalysis.org/%5Cpap ... r3080.html
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

It turns out that Maj. Gen Shakil was pro-India not only in terms of maintaining good relations with BSF, but also has been on record supporting transit facilities to India. Here is an article written by Gen Shakil for National Defence College arguing why transit facilities should be allowed to India. (A word doc -- so open it after scanning it perhaps; My anti-virus software did NOT flag me)
http://www.ndc.gov.bd/admin/publication ... %20FOR.doc

From elsewhere,

List of conspiracy theories, now in circulation in internet:

1. BNP did it to punish army for withdrawing its support from the party. Tareque may have financed it.

2. Jamaat did it as they don’t want the trial of war criminal to go on and this issue has now gone to back burner.

3. A section of military involved and they wanted to remove Moeen, but failed.

4. Pakistan’s ISI is desperate to kill Hasina because she is determined to go ahead with trying war crminals and Mujib’s killers.

5. Indian Raw and Israeli Mossad did it as they would like to turn Bangladesh into a vassel state, which is Jamaat’s pet allegation, and a section of military also supports this views.

6. Myanmar military did it for punishing BDR and military for sending ships during its oil exploration in the Bay of Bengal. (TV Channel Al Jajira came up with this wild speculation)

7. Smugglers joined hands with pro-ruling party politicians to ease strict restrictions on border smuggling.

8. Assam Liberation Front did it as they do not want it’s captive leader Anup Chetia, now in Bangladesh jail, to be handed over to India.

9. India (RAW) did it to take revenge of killing of its military forces during a battle in Padua in 1997.

10. Greater international conspiracy to turn Bangladesh into another Afghanistan as part of war on terror.

11. Hezbut Tahrir, a right wing party is behind this as it wants to establish Khilafat taking advantage of anarchy.

12. JMB did it to take revenge on RAB officials who successfully dismantled its networks and Bangla Bhai.

13. A new dark horse general is waiting in the wings to stage a coup to help secure interests of US, UK, EU and India. It is a plot to provoke military to topple the government.

14. A large number of slain officers served under CTG and they were posted at BDR during the current regime. They are now gone who could have been potential witnesses. {CTG stands for caretaker government}

15. A section of politicians, businessmen and media people are involved who wanted to teach both BDR and military for waging torture on them during CTG period.

16. Multinational oil companies are behind this as they want a weaker government, unable to protect its natural resources.

17. Some groups are determined to kill Hasina, Khaleda, and Moeen and they want to establish a new leadership.

18. This was done to justify the formation of the South Asian Task Force. {Duh!}

19. Military’s desire to institute National Security Council will be materialized through this massacre.

20. A grand design to have UN Peacekeeping Force in Bangladesh.
Meanwhile, an interesting development finally on. This may be why Saka Chowdhury might have been pissed with Sh. Hasina. Saka was suspected to be involved in shipping arms to ULFA in 2004. But some alert police official figured that arms were being shipped and stopped it. But the case was pushed under the rug by BNP government. Finally, five years later, Sh. Hasina government is dusting the file -- probably in revenge over BNP and Saka, not necessarily cos she loves India.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/n ... ?nid=78240

Two prime accused of a case filed in connection with the sensational Chittagong arms haul gave confessional statements before a Chittagong court yesterday. Chittagong Metropolitan Magistrate Md Osman Gani started recording the confessional statements of the accused--Hafizur Rahman and Din Mohammad--under section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) around 2:00pm.

It took around two-and-half-hours to record the 10-page statement of Hafizur Rahman and two-page statement of Din Mohammad. Sources said the accused provided new and important information regarding the haul of 10 truck-loads of weapons at Chittagong Urea Fertiliser Ltd jetty on April 2, 2004. However, the contents of their confessional statements could not be known. Tight security was maintained at the court while their statements were being recorded. The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had taken the two on remand in two phases.

RayC saab, Shafqat and others, I have a question:

The Bangladesh Rifles, a 67,000-strong paramilitary force, is deployed to secure the 4,427 kilometre frontiers of Bangladesh with India and Myanmar. This is in accordance with the Indo-Bangladesh Treaty which bars both countries from deploying army units to man the borders and provides for surveillance through paramilitary forces.

If BDR takes care of the frontier with India, who takes care of the small sliver of a frontier with Burma (Chittagong and Cox's Bazar)? How does the army get any operational training with this background? What does the army do other than UN ops? Would they have been weary to take on the BDR in the immediate aftermath of the mutiny given this deficiency in facing up to the BDR? Hypothetically, if they had taken on the BDR, would nt it have been a long drawn attrition with BDR probably being overwhelmed only due to numbers?

Is this an indication that Sh. Hasina knows something about Saudi involvement or is she fearing a coup or is she really busy with the mess?

Prime minister Sheikh Hasina has cancelled her tour to Saudi Arabia, the foreign secretary said on Tuesday. A foreign ministry statement the day before had announced Hasina would depart for Makkah on March 7 to perform Umrah hajj and pray for the souls of the army officers killed in the BDR mutiny, and return on March 11.

But foreign secretary Md Touhid Hossain told bdnews24.com on Tuesday: "The prime minister decided late last night to cancel her trip." It would have been her first overseas visit since she took the office on Feb. 6. Saudi ambassador Abdullah Bin Naser Al Busairi, who saw foreign minister Dipu Moni on Monday, told reporters Hasina had been set to meet the Saudi king on March 8. The envoy said his government supported the Bangladesh government's position to end the mutiny through negotiations.

Ok the tour is actually in BD, not pakisatan, thank god for it

Pakistan tour still on despite attack on Lankan cricketers: BCB
Dhaka, March 3 (bdnews24.com) - The Bangladesh Cricket Board on Tuesday rejected any possible cancellation of Pakistan's tour of Bangladesh to play a one-day international series this month following the heinous attack on the Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore. At least 12 unidentified gunmen on Tuesday morning attacked a bus carrying the team near the Gaddafi Stadium that left six Sri Lankan players injured and eight police personnel dead.

The Sri Lankans were being driven to Lahore's Gaddafi Stadium for the third day of the second Test. The match has been called off and the cricketers are due to fly home. Besides, the Bangladesh Rifles mutiny in Dhaka also forced many to think that the series against Pakistan would be called off.

"At the moment I can tell you that Pakistan will be coming here. Till now we have been not received a request from the Pakistan Cricket Board to cancel or defer the series," said Jalal Younus, chairman of the BCB media committee. Pakistan are scheduled to arrive in Dhaka on March 7 to play a five-match one-day international series as well as two Twenty20 matches against Bangladesh.

"We have been preparing keeping the things in mind that Pakistan will come here in line with the previous schedule. "Besides, there is no reason to cancel the series as we have yet to get any directives from the government," said Younus. Sports Minister Ahad Ali Sarker told bdnews24.com that the government has also no plans to cancel Bangladesh's home series against Pakistan.

"The Pakistan cricket team will visit Bangladesh as scheduled. Till now it is the government's decision," said the minister. The BCB, meanwhile, has condemned the deadly attack on the Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore. "The BCB is deeply concerned at this unprecedented attack on cricket which is a symbol of hope and aspiration for millions in the sub-continent and around the world. "We are deeply saddened by the unfortunate events and express solidarity with the players, match officials and victims of the attack," said a statement.
bdnews24.com/mp/ar/lg/1905 hours
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Stan_Savljevic wrote:

RayC saab, Shafqat and others, I have a question:

The Bangladesh Rifles, a 67,000-strong paramilitary force, is deployed to secure the 4,427 kilometre frontiers of Bangladesh with India and Myanmar. This is in accordance with the Indo-Bangladesh Treaty which bars both countries from deploying army units to man the borders and provides for surveillance through paramilitary forces.

If BDR takes care of the frontier with India, who takes care of the small sliver of a frontier with Burma (Chittagong and Cox's Bazar)? How does the army get any operational training with this background? What does the army do other than UN ops? Would they have been weary to take on the BDR in the immediate aftermath of the mutiny given this deficiency in facing up to the BDR? Hypothetically, if they had taken on the BDR, would nt it have been a long drawn attrition with BDR probably being overwhelmed only due to numbers?

To be a fighting fit army which is conversant with the battle procedures and battle drill essential in the Ops of War, one does not require to fight a war. War, of course, does give experience. Border firing gives experience in policing!

BDA carries out exercises which keeps it fighting fit, honed to apply the concepts that their Army has developed for its threat perception.

If the BDA took on the BDR, the BDA would win, but there would be a bloodbath and a whole lote of alienation would have occurred which would not go away in a hurry. It would have ruined the BD internal security situation with mutual suspicion and total distrust.

Dispassionately observed, the PM and the BDA Chief has so far handled the issue with statesmanship.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Is it fair to assume that the BDR does not have heavy weapons, that it cannot engage in anything other than guerilla warfare or if it is smart urban CQB to negate effects of heavy weapons? also, which way will the airforce, navy and police swing? just trying to scope out participants in any civil war... i doubt that civvies and jehadis are armed anywhere near the level of their pakistani birathers...
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

The alleged leader of the murderous Feb 25-26 BDR mutiny, Touhidul Alam, and four others were arrested Tuesday in the capital, RAB said. "Five including DAD Touhid and DAD Abdur Rahim have been arrested in Hajaribagh," commander AK Azad, director of legal and media wing of the elite Rapid Action Battalion, told bdnews24.com. Rahim was earlier identified as a sepoy.

"It was a joint operation of the RAB intelligence wing and local RAB 2, based on information from another intelligence agency," RAB later said in a statement. "They were arrested in a residential area near the Methorpatti (sweepers' colony) in Hajaribagh at 5:30pm," the statement said.

The other three arrested were not among those named in the case filed on Feb 28. RAB gave the three names as Habilder Azad Ali, Nayek Md Feroz Ahmed and Sepoy Zahir Hossain. Touhidul Alam, a deputy assistant director, had led a rebel team in negotiations with the government during 33-hour mutiny ending Thursday evening.

Two days later, the government sued him and five others, charging them with treason, murder, arson and looting. The case, filed by the Lalbagh police, was registered Saturday night. A magistrate on Sunday took the charges into cognizance. Over a thousand BDR men were also charged, but the Lalbagh OC Nobojyoti Khisha did not identify them.

At least 62 army officers were dead or missing in the mutiny, according to the army. Civilians and BDR men were also killed. DAD Touhid led a team of 14 BDR men to talks with the prime minister at her home on the day the border guards rose in rebellion at their headquarters in the capital. Touhid also led the renegade BDR men in negotiations that followed with the home minister late into the night.

The other four names that Khisha mentioned in his submission were DAD Nasiruddin Khan, DAD Mirza Habibur Rahman, DAD Jalil (one name given), Sepoy Selim. "More DADs may be involved with the incident," Khisa had said after filing the case. Khisa said in his court submission the government had information that the rebel border guards were 'instigated by vested quarters to upset the stability of the state and to make unlawful gains'. Their action amounted to treason, the court was told.

Police attributed the delay in filing the case to time taken 'to analyse the situation, gather information on the events and complete official formalities'. After the first round of talks with the rebels on Feb 25, prime minister Sheikh Hasina offered a general amnesty to the BDR mutineers, but later said the pardon would not cover those who directly killed, looted or committed such other criminal acts. The prime minister told parliament Sunday that the BDR revolt was a "completely pre-planned massacre".

BDR bloodbath done to foil war crimes trial plan: Faruq

Dhaka, March 3 (bdnews24.com) - The recent BDR massacre was executed to foil the government's efforts to hold the war crimes trial, a minister said Tuesday. "The horrid Peelkhana killings and plundering clearly show that the conspirators active in destabilising the Bengali nation and its language are menacingly strong," Commerce minister Faruq Khan told reporters at his Secretariat office. "Therefore, all of us must stay united and frustrate the villains' evil designs," said Khan.

The government measures to take the war crimes trial process forward will be on, "thwarting all the impediments posed by the conspirators", he added. On the Peelkhana killings, the minister said, "The situation there has improved considerably and the government has brought everything under control. "Our allies at home and abroad assisted us in the rehabilitation process." "We have to be extremely careful though."

About investigation into the BDR bloodbath, the minister said two separate committees have been formed to probe the events. "Two ministers have been withdrawn from the government's probe team to free it from any partisan bias." Khan said the government hoped the probe committee would submit their findings soon to enable the government to take measures "The government will share the probe findings with the people to a maximum possible extent," he added.

bdnews24.com/mk/am/wz/bd/1443h.

Prime minister Sheikh Hasina says she fears further sabotage after the bloody BDR mutiny and that the conspirators are not finished yet. "Many did not like the incident to end so soon; the game is still on and the conspirators are not taking a break," she said at a seminar on the country's independence hero Sheikh Mujibur Rahman's historic March 7 speech at the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh Tuesday.

The mutiny might have gone further, the prime minister added. "I don't know whether I could speak here today," she said in her first public remarks outside parliament since the renegade border guards mutinied at their headquarters on Feb. 25-26. "All will have to remain alert against conspiracy."

On the massacre of the army officers, Hasina said, "No incident could be more condemnable." The ruling Awami League chief mourned the slain army officers and prayed for their eternal peace at the beginning of her speech. She spoke of the Feb. 25 BDR mutiny and urged all to remain on guard in these critical hours. "Somehow we'll have to succeed in fulfilling the pledge for change, upon which we have come to power."

Hasina, daughter of Sheikh Mujib, said, "My father used to say, '[We] cannot live with the West Pakistanis; the country must be freed'." "He used to say, 'There will be elections and we will win majority, but power will not be handed over'." "There will be war and we will gain freedom," Hasina quoted him as saying. "My father was right; he could predict."

Hasina introduced the man, 'Khair', who filmed Sheikh Mujib's Mar 7 speech at then the Racecourse Maidan in Dhaka. The Mar. 7 speech was screened at the seminar, organised by Sheikh Mujib Memorial trust.
bdnews24.com/sum/khk/bd/2011h.

The main opposition BNP staged a ten-minute walkout from parliament Tuesday following a dispute over a derogatory term used by Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury about army officers killed in the BDR mutiny. Ruling party MP Suranjit Sengupta bitterly criticised Chowdhury and termed him a "war criminal". The dispute began at around 7pm when Chowdhury took floor on a point-of-order.

He questioned the terms of reference for the home ministry's committee to investigate the BDR mutiny, saying it did not specify any undertaking to detect the killers. He urged the formation of a parliamentary committee to properly investigate the killings of army officers at the Peelkhana headquarters on Feb 25-26.

Countering him, Suranjit said, "Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury just two days ago called the army officers killed in the BDR mutiny 'prani (animals)' in parliament." "By use of this term we can understand his view of the martyrs," he said. At one stage of his statement, Suranjit said, "I also understand Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury's pain in carrying the stigma of being a war criminal."

"It is not fair to ask for clarification from parliament on terms of reference of the home ministry's committee," he said. Another treasury bench MP, Tofail Ahmed, said, "We should not play politics over this issue." "The prime minister has clearly said the perpetrators of the BDR mutiny will be found and brought to justice. The government has already filed a case with Lalbagh Police Station," said Tofail. Chowdhury once again shouted for floor to clarify his position on the allegations, but the speaker denied him, prompting the opposition to leave the House at around 7:15pm. They returned ten minutes later. Speaker Abdul Hamid said he would form a parliamentary committee if the home ministry's committee failed to investigate.

Opposition leader Khaleda Zia has called for resignation of home minister Sahara Khatun for a "proper investigation" into the BDR mutiny. The former prime minister, speaking to reporters at her Gulshan office, also said the prime minister's general amnesty for the border guards should be revoked.

"We think reconstitution of the probe committee into the incident by dropping the home minister and the state minister for law was not enough," she said. "The investigation might still be influenced by the home minister; so I recommend the prime minister to ask the home minister to resign for the sake of proper investigation," said the opposition leader.

Khaleda said the government has limited the probe committee's 'terms of reference'. "The TOR may give rise to suspicions in people's mind that the government may be covering up the truth or trying to save someone," she said.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

"It was a joint operation of the RAB intelligence wing and local RAB 2, based on information from another intelligence agency,
DGFI or RAW?
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

sum wrote:
"It was a joint operation of the RAB intelligence wing and local RAB 2, based on information from another intelligence agency,
DGFI or RAW?
Dont know if DGFI is involved. But,

The DGFI maintains intelligence unit components in the RAB, who normally liaise with the insurgents and terrorist groups in India.

http://frontierindia.net/the-fulcrum-of ... inst-india

I doubt they would use the term "another intelligence agency" for DGFI when it already has a hold inside RAB. Most likely, it is FBI or Scotland Yard. They have already been approached by Sh. Hasina to help out in identifying the forensic evidence. I am not sure if that help extends much further. Could possibly be. But one never knows, could be DGFI for all one could say.

PS: That Frontier India article by Maloy Krishna Dhar is worth reading.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

from banglacricket forum.
Till today, the police have already caught 6 members of Hizbut Tahir, a militant outfit, spreading leaflet how RAW conspired the whole thing with the help of AL govt. Do i need to go in lengths about this extremist groups and how/where they are funded and operated?

Hec i even saw a new map of India, supposedly of 2010 thats includes both Bangladesh and pakistan as Hisdustan!! Apparently that is what the indian govt have a long term plan to take their two neighbouring state!!

As is India really wants to add another 350 Million Muslims into their country!!

The way its looking to me so far, like the massacre plan, this hate campaign was also pre planned.
Everything was in place and as soon as the incident is over, they came out in all guns to confuse people, put more pressure to the govt and trying to divert the issue to a new direction.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Its a resounding slap on our diplomatic efforts towards BD for all these years if BD finds it fit to invite both US and UK for investigations while the giant neighbour is shown the cold shoulder by even a "India friendly" govt.

The only saving grace is that the ISI and China were not invited to probe the "mutiny"!!! :roll:
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

sum wrote:Its a resounding slap on our diplomatic efforts towards BD for all these years if BD finds it fit to invite both US and UK for investigations while the giant neighbour is shown the cold shoulder by even a "India friendly" govt.

The only saving grace is that the ISI and China were not invited to probe the "mutiny"!!! :roll:
Actually, by bringing in India into all this for assistance would be playing into the hand of the fundamentalists and the BNP (who are no better!) It must be understood that a large majority of Bangladeshis are very wary and suspicious of India, rightly or wrongly. The Pakistani hangover remains!

It is better than they take anyone else aid and bring the culprits to book and cleanse their country of this cancerous evil spreading around the world.
Nesoj
BRFite

Post by Nesoj »

sum wrote:Its a resounding slap on our diplomatic efforts towards BD for all these years if BD finds it fit to invite both US and UK for investigations while the giant neighbour is shown the cold shoulder by even a "India friendly" govt.

Any inclusion of India would only bolster the Anti-India lobby's claims of cover-up / rigging etc once the final report comes out. It's best they get 'so called' neutral investigators, whose findings can't be disputed.

PS : Mumbai attacks - i don't recollect GoI inviting BD to help in investigations. FBI, Scotland Yard were however invited by India to help.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Nesoj wrote: PS : Mumbai attacks - i don't recollect GoI inviting BD to help in investigations. FBI, Scotland Yard were however invited by India to help.
That was because there were dead UK and US citizens. Not because GoI or its agencies did not have the capability to investigate. In this case, BD has no/limited capability to fully figure the pieces from the forensic evidence. A completely different proposition.
Nesoj
BRFite

Post by Nesoj »

Stan_Savljevic wrote: That was because there were dead UK and US citizens. Not because GoI or its agencies did not have the capability to investigate. In this case, BD has no/limited capability to fully figure the pieces from the forensic evidence. A completely different proposition.
The dead foreigners were not only from UK / USA.... there were other nationalities involved. Bringing USA / UK into the team gives it a sort of 'international respectability' .... that is very helpful when presenting the findings to the international community. While other countries could dispute a report presented by India, a joint report would stand less chance (do you feel that Pigglystan can openly claim that the FBI has rigged a report in India's favor ?).
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Mossad was also involved in the Mumbai investigation, but for obvious reasons not much publicity was given. Their Rabbi and his family were butchered!