Understanding the Great Game and role of India & Asian stability

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
GopalVaidya
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Understanding the Great Game and role of India & Asian stabi

Post by GopalVaidya »

RajeshA wrote:He believes that our current terrorism predicament probably comes from our tilt towards the Anglo-American-Judaic Axis.
This is the part I don't understand. Hasn't India been tilted against this "Anglo-American-Judaic Axis". For a very long time we maintained a tilt towards the Arabs but did not get anything in return - the OIC resolutions against India continued, the funding of the madrassas went on. Our tilt against the Americans only made it easier for Pakistan to extract money and weapons from the Americans. The lowest point was reached in 1971 when an American naval group entered the Bay of Bengal in a show of force against India and in support of Pakistan.
I do believe, that his views taken in isolation, do not capture the totality of India's strategic choices, but his voice does act as a balance to our head-over-heals rush into the American camp.
I can see this point.
With our media becoming a pool saturated with pro-American sentiment, his voice is useful, especially as he presents not just idle ideological rhetoric but detailed information and a relative good analysis of the play-field.
Again, I have trouble with this. Our media, especially the national and the English speaking media has been and continues to be left wing generally. JNU has had a profound impact in producing a highly biased left wing media. To call our media "saturated with pro-American sentiment" appears to be a vast exaggeration.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

GopalVaidya wrote:
RajeshA wrote:He believes that our current terrorism predicament probably comes from our tilt towards the Anglo-American-Judaic Axis.
This is the part I don't understand. Hasn't India been tilted against this "Anglo-American-Judaic Axis". For a very long time we maintained a tilt towards the Arabs but did not get anything in return - the OIC resolutions against India continued, the funding of the madrassas went on. Our tilt against the Americans only made it easier for Pakistan to extract money and weapons from the Americans. The lowest point was reached in 1971 when an American naval group entered the Bay of Bengal in a show of force against India and in support of Pakistan.
I do believe, that his views taken in isolation, do not capture the totality of India's strategic choices, but his voice does act as a balance to our head-over-heals rush into the American camp.
I can see this point.
With our media becoming a pool saturated with pro-American sentiment, his voice is useful, especially as he presents not just idle ideological rhetoric but detailed information and a relative good analysis of the play-field.
Again, I have trouble with this. Our media, especially the national and the English speaking media has been and continues to be left wing generally. JNU has had a profound impact in producing a highly biased left wing media. To call our media "saturated with pro-American sentiment" appears to be a vast exaggeration.
THe muslims of the arab nations really think that India is a mulsim country and its foriegn policy should be like a Arab country. IM also have this notion that India should follow policies like Arab country. Many westerners think that India is a Muslim country when they hear spots like Taj Mahal.

Indian secular elite also with its dhimmi behaviour support Muslim view point whihc reinforces that India acts like a Muslim country.

So when India aligns with US we have Pakis also advising India to be careful in its relationship with US. Pakis have been in bed with US for more than 50 years. IMs do not bring this up in their discussion.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Acharya wrote:
GopalVaidya wrote: This is the part I don't understand. Hasn't India been tilted against this "Anglo-American-Judaic Axis". For a very long time we maintained a tilt towards the Arabs but did not get anything in return - the OIC resolutions against India continued, the funding of the madrassas went on. Our tilt against the Americans only made it easier for Pakistan to extract money and weapons from the Americans. The lowest point was reached in 1971 when an American naval group entered the Bay of Bengal in a show of force against India and in support of Pakistan.
I can see this point.
THe muslims of the arab nations really think that India is a mulsim country and its foriegn policy should be like a Arab country. IM also have this notion that India should follow policies like Arab country. Many westerners think that India is a Muslim country when they hear spots like Taj Mahal.

Indian secular elite also with its dhimmi behaviour support Muslim view point whihc reinforces that India acts like a Muslim country.

So when India aligns with US we have Pakis also advising India to be careful in its relationship with US. Pakis have been in bed with US for more than 50 years. IMs do not bring this up in their discussion.
Acharya ji,

There is comprehensive national development strategy theory, which says that a country should lie low, strengthen its various attributes of national power, and do so until its national attributes allow it to stand up to its most dangerous enemies and threats. It allows uninterrupted development, and follows the paradigm of lulling the enemy into complacency.

On BRF, it is a strategy, which is often given the short shrift. However as a long term development strategy, I can see its advantages.

I would say, this is a strategy which has paid huge dividends to China. China saw USA as its biggest strategic rival, but understood that it would not be allowed to grow if it remained enmeshed in a vicious ideological conflict with USA with no common ground. So one hand, China did everything to assert its own independence and strategic interests, while on the other hand it opened up its economy, something that Americans appreciated and moved away from Soviet Union. So it was well-nuanced tango and it continues to this day. USSR was also a rival for the Chinese, but they were able to keep ideological proximity to it, while increasing the strategic distance. Now the Chinese have again calibrated their relative position to Russia and USA, and has gone at an ideological proximity to USA through its neo-capitalist economy while partnering with Russia at a strategic level.

In India's case, we have basically two strategic rivals: Islam and China. These rivals are not really at loggerheads with each other, and therefore we cannot really play them off one another. We can do the balancing act in another constellation between Anglo-American-Judaic Axis and SCO. But there are things we can learn from the Chinese, as far as dealing with Islam and China is concerned. We should think of a road ahead with the minimum resistance.

Opposition to America, one has to concede, has made Islam more radical and ideologically stronger. I do believe though, that Islam does not really have a future, unless the future of this planet is dark and broody and chaotic. Islam has been financially bolstered by a) Oil, b) Drugs and c) Remittances from expatriates in West. The first two strengths can be neutralized, the third is a bit difficult. With all the increase in demographics in Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia on the one hand and depletion of Allah-given Oil, no further commodities to sell and being a big ZILCH in science and technology and management, the stars are looking bright for the demise of the killigion.

India has however an important mission: SURVIVAL, UNINTERRUPTED DEVELOPMENT and EXPANSION.

I say SURVIVAL, because there are enough hotheads in TSP, who would love to paint mushroom clouds in the skyline of Indian cities. We absolutely need to prevent that, without succumbing to the pressures and losing our self-respect.

We did have UNITERRUPTED DEVELOPMENT for 4-5 years after Operation Parakram, while Musharraf was at the helm of TSP. In those 4-5 years we also made many strides forwards. Internationally it became an China-India success story. Now terrorism seems to rear its head again. We do need another 15-20 years of peace, military build-up, and political maturity to say that our flanks are covered, and we have reached lift-off thrust. This also means, that we need a period of peace with the religion of piss.

To fully be able to reach our true potential, we will have to EXPAND outwards, into PoK, Western NWFP, Baluchistan, Badakhshan (Afghanistan), Chittagong, Myanmar, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, etc. Much of that would be possible only if we play our cards extremely well and find a path of least resistance from Islam and even China.

During the course of our development, what we need to protect is the core of what India is, and that is the Indian Constitution, the Hindu Ethos and our National Power Attributes of military, technology, industry, governance. Hinduism should absolutely keep its flock together, and not allow our assimilation by either the X-tians or Islam.

Having said that, we need a strategy to keep Islam at bay, and lure them into the belief that they need not conquer India, lull Islam into complacency.

If we are to follow this strategy, we might have to paint India in GREEN for the next 15-20 years, and use Indian Muslims as the face of India for some time. For this to happen, it is important that Pakistan not be the country which becomes the spokesman of the Muslims in the Indian Subcontinent. We would need to destroy Pakistan regardless of which strategy we choose. If Pakistan is divided into small parts, they would hardly carry enough weight to play representative. Indian expansion into PoK will in that case, not invite any retribution from Wahabbized Jihadis.

If you may have noticed, BJP has been making Muslim appeasement comments lately!

It is all about choosing "The Path of Least Resistance"
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

To fully be able to reach our true potential, we will have to EXPAND outwards, into PoK, Western NWFP, Baluchistan, Badakhshan (Afghanistan), Chittagong, Myanmar, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, etc. Much of that would be possible only if we play our cards extremely well and find a path of least resistance from Islam and even China.

During the course of our development, what we need to protect is the core of what India is, and that is the Indian Constitution, the Hindu Ethos and our National Power Attributes of military, technology, industry, governance. Hinduism should absolutely keep its flock together, and not allow our assimilation by either the X-tians or Islam.

Having said that, we need a strategy to keep Islam at bay, and lure them into the belief that they need not conquer India, lull Islam into complacency.

If we are to follow this strategy, we might have to paint India in GREEN for the next 15-20 years, and use Indian Muslims as the face of India for some time. For this to happen, it is important that Pakistan not be the country which becomes the spokesman of the Muslims in the Indian Subcontinent. We would need to destroy Pakistan regardless of which strategy we choose. If Pakistan is divided into small parts, they would hardly carry enough weight to play representative. Indian expansion into PoK will in that case, not invite any retribution from Wahabbized Jihadis.
Good as objectives, but contradictory in reality. India did play this "lulling" card for at least 45 years - resulting in Kashmiri Jihad, Pakistani Jihad, Bangladeshi Jihad. Muslims are never "lulled" into complacency - I think here is a complete failure to understand the integration of politics and religion in the basic theological infrastructure of Islam. It is the theologians of Islam who maintain the long term agenda of proselytizing expansion - all the while, whether in peace or in war, they are constantly working towards their agenda of ultimate global expansion. They themselves are vey clear and conscious of their long term goals, and whether you play the "dead mouse" or not, they go on working towards it. I have had the "good fortune" to interact with people who were initially sympathetic to the various middle-eastern causes as parts of "peace" or "charity" movements - and inievitably they agreed with my proposition, that close interaction with Islam on a day to day basis, turns that initial euphoria around, and makes them ultimately realize that nothing others do does affect their basic purpose in subjugating the "other" under their "Islamic authority" over the long run. This is a religion that captures almost all of the deep insecurities and biological greed possible in humans and justifies and glorifies them as supra-human unchallengeable authority given injunctions - thereby releasing them from the guilt of personal greed.

I would request all who have this type of thought about Islam and its behaviour, that it can be sort of "pacified" and diverted from its core agenda, to take time out to spend with Muslims, and pretend "genuinely" to be attracted to their religion - and watch them closely over at least 1-2 years - (I have done this for at least 8 years as part of political work in the most abject of "ghettos" as well as the "havelis" of the rich and influential) to really understand the motivations of their theological leadership who practically control all aspects of the ordinary Muslim's life - (don't just look at a few "secular" faces appearing on the media). It is not about Pakistan or BD taking leadership - the basic agenda remains with the theological leadership and their networks - which thinks of the whole of the subcontinent comprehensively as the potential playground of Islam's dominance. The leadership of this thought process comes from within the infrastructure established in India - you should never foret that the most radicalizing Islamic movements in the Indian Ocean rim came out of of the Tabliqi Jamaat/Deobandis who flourish in the "peaceful" atmosphere of India.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

brihaspati,

I am not kidding myself about the nature of the Islamic challenge and am aware of its doggedness. We can stop their progress at proselytizing if the Hindu religion learns a few things about identity and religious rhetoric, charity work, social upliftment and omnipresence in India. If Hinduism can hold on to its flock and still manage to keep our rhetoric Islam-friendly on the one hand, and encourage some Muslim leaders in India to keep the Jihadis at bay for another 15-20 years, then we would be out of the woods.

You say we have been playing the lulling game for the last 45 years without any success. We haven't got any success, because we have remained as far as governance is concerned a soft state. We could have closed our borders more tightly with both Pakistan and Bangladesh. We could have built up a better intelligence network on the ground in the Muslim quarters in India, and booked the goons and the gangsters consistently on law and order. We let the weed to spread out into the Muslim fields in India. All that is not part of the lulling game. There we have to be strict.

But we need a contract with the Muslim community, that any financial and infrastructural support to them, will be contiguous on their being able to keep the wolves at bay. There is not a single Indian Muslim Leader, who has come to my attention (may be I have not been listening), who has an important voice in the Ummah. We need these Indian Muslim Leaders to be able to hold their own in the jirga. They need to be able to bat, and they should bat for India.

Right now, the Saudis are busy pumping money into the madrassas in India, and we let them do it. At least we should let the Saudis know, that if they do not hold back the Jihadis, we will be severely cutting down on their freedom to do that.

As long as these people can buy us a reprieve from the Jihadists for the next 15-20 years, it will be great. After that Islam goes into asphyxia for lack of resources and will find its natural end soon after. But the next 20 years are critical.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

RajeshA,

I think you have to recognize that the reason there appears to be no strong voice within the Ummah, is because the structure of Islam itself does not give a single voice. Their theological infrastructure is based on a teacher-student-disciple relationship - all within strict parameters of rote-learning, and inculcation of the core agenda. An individual cannot deviate from this core principle in public or even within the theologian's network. Unlike, regular modern intellectual disciplines - the system actually only encourages and retains those who would not upset the apple-cart - those who question are weeded out at the very beginning. The boys are brutally physcially punished if they deviate by a single hair in their questions or queries. I have seen young students being hung by their hands and caned for raising questions not liked by their teacher.

The only way practically feasible of what you are asking for is to have a compulsory, non-religious national school education system, and most probably a residential one - where students can be separated from their immediate social networks - this will be vehemently opposed by the theologians, for they know once this starts, their network control is doomed. Together with this, banning of all foreign funding to NGO's and religious institutions - they have to raise funds from within the country. What sort of government (no, no, not party!) do we need to implement this? I think you know the answer! :) And you also know perhaps that it will be very difficult to get such a government!
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

brihaspati,

When I talk of a strong voice, I do not mean necessarily at the level of Islamic theology, but rather that of a Muslim religious leader at the level of political influence in the Ummah.

The thing is there are 160 million Muslims in India, and it is pathetic that there is a submissive attitude of these people towards the Arabs, the Persians and even towards the Pakistanis. It is as if they make the opinions and the Indian Muslims adopt those opinions. This has to change.

I personally don't mind the Indian Muslims pro forma calling India Dar-ul Islam, but then they should be able to have a leadership voice in the Ummah and keep the Jihadis at bay. They should also see that their voice would have more gravitas amongst the Arabs, if Pakistan is liquidated as a country.

Long term, it would be better for the Indian Muslims to lose their awe of the Arabs. Should their economic condition really go down as expected as Oil runs out, and India's fortunes rise on the back of a strong economy, Indian Muslims may still get the exalted status occupied by the Arabs at the moment. The thing is the Muslim Community in India should become a stakeholder in India's continued and accelerated development. The problem is that the IM would instinctively bow to an Arab, and that habit needs to be broken. The Arabs and Pakistanis are taking too much of the mental space of the Indian Muslims.

In this regard, I would even go so far as to say, that Iranian Shia strength which weakens the Saudi domination is a welcome development. The field needs to be mixed up a lot more.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

The problem is that the IM would instinctively bow to an Arab, and that habit needs to be broken. The Arabs and Pakistanis are taking too much of the mental space of the Indian Muslims.
This is once again a part of basic Islamic doctrine - they have a centre, in Arabia, they have a language in which the "truth" was revealed, etc. It was an inherent and perhaps necessary psyhological attraction in the neo-converts that they learn to hate everything they were in the past before conversion - and identify with something outside, "other" as the "better one". The continued practice of "Hajj" and smaller Umrahs are designed to reinforce this identification with a centre outside of India. The "ashrafs" among the Muslims, those who claim "pure descent" from Arabic or Persian origins and therefore of superior status to the "natives", are also those who appear to dominate the theological networks within India. The whole doctrine of Islam by its insistence of the centrality of its core texts, and all associations, interpretations, practices and items of religious significance placed in the context of Arabia or the middle east ensures that Indian Muslims will continue to look to Arabia or the middle-east as long as Islam is practised in India.
In this regard, I would even go so far as to say, that Iranian Shia strength which weakens the Saudi domination is a welcome development. The field needs to be mixed up a lot more.
I would consider this dangerous. There is a tendency to think of Shias a bit more favourably than the Sunnis because we have seen less of them. My experience of the few Shia groups in India is that where "Islam vs non-Islam" is concerned they react essentially in the same way, and that is what all that matters for non-Muslims. They will not fight with each other, as long as both are weaker compared to non-muslims - all the fights you see, are places where non-Muslim cultures have been practically wiped off.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

brihaspati wrote:The only way practically feasible of what you are asking for is to have a compulsory, non-religious national school education system, and most probably a residential one - where students can be separated from their immediate social networks - this will be vehemently opposed by the theologians, for they know once this starts, their network control is doomed. Together with this, banning of all foreign funding to NGO's and religious institutions - they have to raise funds from within the country. What sort of government (no, no, not party!) do we need to implement this? I think you know the answer! :) And you also know perhaps that it will be very difficult to get such a government!
Large parts of even the above have been tried in Turkey. The results can be at best be termed as limited success. The sunni theologians have been able to maintain their agenda, inspite of all the odds against them and finally been able to capture power.

The problem in turkey was although a reformer was willing to do what it takes to reform his people, the people need something more at a social and spiritual level. In the case of Turkey, it is at this level that Islam was able to preserve itself.

In one thinks, through the issue, India is one of the few countries, where the demography would favor such strong reforms and the Muslims do have a ready made alternative in front of them.

The right leadership can make all the difference.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

brihaspati wrote:
The problem is that the IM would instinctively bow to an Arab, and that habit needs to be broken. The Arabs and Pakistanis are taking too much of the mental space of the Indian Muslims.
This is once again a part of basic Islamic doctrine - they have a centre, in Arabia, they have a language in which the "truth" was revealed, etc. It was an inherent and perhaps necessary psyhological attraction in the neo-converts that they learn to hate everything they were in the past before conversion - and identify with something outside, "other" as the "better one". The continued practice of "Hajj" and smaller Umrahs are designed to reinforce this identification with a centre outside of India. The "ashrafs" among the Muslims, those who claim "pure descent" from Arabic or Persian origins and therefore of superior status to the "natives", are also those who appear to dominate the theological networks within India. The whole doctrine of Islam by its insistence of the centrality of its core texts, and all associations, interpretations, practices and items of religious significance placed in the context of Arabia or the middle east ensures that Indian Muslims will continue to look to Arabia or the middle-east as long as Islam is practised in India.
brihaspati,

I would consider that a statist viewpoint. There has been noticeable turmoil in Islam as well, where the following and relative power has changed among the various Islamic sects.

The core of the problem is, who is the 'better one'. The Iranians are only in a limited way, beholden to the Arab status as the tribe of the Prophet. They have used the internal theological difference of Shiism to create the firewall. The Indian Muslims do not have the benefit of this firewall. We/They need to work on the essence of that firewall, which would need to have Indic components to be sufficiently differential. Being on the same side of the wall at the moment, a hierarchy would naturally be created, and at present the Indian Muslims are not necessarily in the top layer.

If the Indian Muslim has to lay claim to leadership role, they would need the confidence, which comes from the Indian aspect of the Indian Muslim conjunction. It would be a funny situation if one day, India is so developed, that everything Arab, is like gutter-water for the non-Muslim Indians, especially when the Oil is gone, while the Indian Muslims keep on revering the Ashrafs and the Arabs. The confidence of the Indian will slowly but surely seep in into the Indian Muslim as well. Maybe the prospect of future leadership role in Ummah and increased access to financing of religious programs even outside India, could put some ambition in the souls of the subservient Indian Muslims.

For that India needs time to develop, and Indian Muslims need to buy us time.

As far as the hold of Ashrafs is concerned, I think there is a lot of potential in the future of the 'Dalit Muslim'.
I would consider this dangerous. There is a tendency to think of Shias a bit more favourably than the Sunnis because we have seen less of them. My experience of the few Shia groups in India is that where "Islam vs non-Islam" is concerned they react essentially in the same way, and that is what all that matters for non-Muslims. They will not fight with each other, as long as both are weaker compared to non-muslims - all the fights you see, are places where non-Muslim cultures have been practically wiped off.
It is not about the radicalism level of the Shia. It is just that a dominant Shia power would have far less control over Indian Muslims since there are less Shia in India. Once the Oil runs out in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan is denuked, I am fairly certain the Iranians would go for the control of two holy sites. Once Oil is gone, there will hardly be much reason for the Americans, Russians or the Chinese to extend support to the Saudis and the Emiratis. Their relative power goes down. If Pakistan falls apart or is denuked, the Saudis would not be able to keep the Shia away.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

I would consider that a statist viewpoint. There has been noticeable turmoil in Islam as well, where the following and relative power has changed among the various Islamic sects.
I think here we have to agree to differ! :)
I have my very strong reservations on this issue, as I specifically studied the Muslim society between 92-2000, from at aleast three places in India - I was deputed to "interact" from a spectrum most trusted by the Muslims in current scenario. My experience says, that it is more a wishful thinking rather than anything ever realizable. I think the future trends of Indian politics will bear me out. Until then...!
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

brihaspati wrote:
I think here we have to agree to differ! :)
I have my very strong reservations on this issue, as I specifically studied the Muslim society between 92-2000, from at aleast three places in India - I was deputed to "interact" from a spectrum most trusted by the Muslims in current scenario. My experience says, that it is more a wishful thinking rather than anything ever realizable. I think the future trends of Indian politics will bear me out. Until then...!
brihaspati,

That comment was about the 1400 year history of Islam. I am not sure one can notice transformation of such a phenomenon in a matter of 9 years.

I am sure future trends in Indian politics will bear out, what you wish to claim. It is not wishful thinking however, but simply an agenda for any agent of change.
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

ShauryaT wrote:
brihaspati wrote:The only way practically feasible of what you are asking for is to have a compulsory, non-religious national school education system, and most probably a residential one - where students can be separated from their immediate social networks - this will be vehemently opposed by the theologians, for they know once this starts, their network control is doomed. Together with this, banning of all foreign funding to NGO's and religious institutions - they have to raise funds from within the country. What sort of government (no, no, not party!) do we need to implement this? I think you know the answer! :) And you also know perhaps that it will be very difficult to get such a government!
Large parts of even the above have been tried in Turkey. The results can be at best be termed as limited success. The sunni theologians have been able to maintain their agenda, inspite of all the odds against them and finally been able to capture power.

The problem in turkey was although a reformer was willing to do what it takes to reform his people, the people need something more at a social and spiritual level. In the case of Turkey, it is at this level that Islam was able to preserve itself.

In one thinks, through the issue, India is one of the few countries, where the demography would favor such strong reforms and the Muslims do have a ready made alternative in front of them.

Shaurya,

Limited or not, if the entire Muslim world was like Turkey, we would all be in far, far better shape than we are right now.

Dubai and Qatar are of course tiny states, but their influence is enormous. They represent an alternative model for the Muslim world - commerce, relative tolerance and political stability ahead of religious or secular political radicalism. These are states which are *not* run on Islamic norms, or promote 'Islamic' values at all. Yet for all its modernity people from Muslim backgrounds can feel at home in a way which they often do not in the West.

Indonesia is another country that deserves respect for what its done. Although the coming of democracy allowed Islamist groups to expand, Indonesian society on the whole has rejected Islamist attempts to define the country in orthodox terms - look at the public mobilisation that struck down the 'Anti-***** Law' which was sharia by the back door. Underneath this is a pride in pre-Islamic heritage, and a belief in tolerance and diversity. This is in stark contrast to Malaysia where Islamisation, like Pakistan and Bangladesh has galloped along thanks to collective shame over their pre-Islamic heritage.

Iran, like Turkey shares a nationalistic pride in its pre-Islamic heritage, and even more importantly, like India and the West as a society attaches fundamental importance to non-religious education, and humanistic values. There is a line of struggle going back more than a century for constitutional, publicly accountable government, the same impulse that drove reforms that produced the West as we know it now. That is what turned youthful fundamentalist willing cannon fodder of 1979 in to reformists by 1989 demanding an end to theocracy, and the constitutional separation of church and state. Many poorer, rural Iranians, like poorer, rural Turks have to be brought along, and in a democracy their views matter - but I am confidant of the overall long term direction.

The keys are
- disaggregation of ummahcentric thinking by encouraging ethnic/cultural pride.
- defending the sectarian and cultural diversity amongst Muslims from majoritarianism; i.e. as long as Muslims are intolerant of other Muslims, you cant hope to see tolerance towards non-Muslims.

More broadly
- encouraging economic growth and personal upward mobility
- broadly supporting concepts of personal choice rather as opposed to social policing
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

That is exactly the play in Tamil Nadu. The "tamil identity" or the "dravidian identity" nurtured by the DK and DMK has kept things within reasonable control. This is in spite of all the niceties Karunanidhi makes towards Islam.

Once Karunanidhi passes away, there is lot of trouble in store for Tamil Nadu. He is the Saddam Hussein of Tamil Nadu.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Johann wrote:
ShauryaT wrote:Large parts of even the above have been tried in Turkey. The results can be at best be termed as limited success. The sunni theologians have been able to maintain their agenda, inspite of all the odds against them and finally been able to capture power.

Shaurya,

Limited or not, if the entire Muslim world was like Turkey, we would all be in far, far better shape than we are right now.

Dubai and Qatar are of course tiny states, but their influence is enormous. They represent an alternative model for the Muslim world - commerce, relative tolerance and political stability ahead of religious or secular political radicalism. These are states which are *not* run on Islamic norms, or promote 'Islamic' values at all. Yet for all its modernity people from Muslim backgrounds can feel at home in a way which they often do not in the West.

Indonesia is another country that deserves respect for what its done. Although the coming of democracy allowed Islamist groups to expand, Indonesian society on the whole has rejected Islamist attempts to define the country in orthodox terms - look at the public mobilisation that struck down the 'Anti-***** Law' which was sharia by the back door. Underneath this is a pride in pre-Islamic heritage, and a belief in tolerance and diversity. This is in stark contrast to Malaysia where Islamisation, like Pakistan and Bangladesh has galloped along thanks to collective shame over their pre-Islamic heritage.

Iran, like Turkey shares a nationalistic pride in its pre-Islamic heritage, and even more importantly, like India and the West as a society attaches fundamental importance to non-religious education, and humanistic values. There is a line of struggle going back more than a century for constitutional, publicly accountable government, the same impulse that drove reforms that produced the West as we know it now. That is what turned youthful fundamentalist willing cannon fodder of 1979 in to reformists by 1989 demanding an end to theocracy, and the constitutional separation of church and state. Many poorer, rural Iranians, like poorer, rural Turks have to be brought along, and in a democracy their views matter - but I am confidant of the overall long term direction.

The keys are
- defending the sectarian and cultural diversity amongst Muslims from majoritarianism; i.e. as long as Muslims are intolerant of other Muslims, you cant hope to see tolerance towards non-Muslims.

More broadly
- encouraging economic growth and personal upward mobility
- broadly supporting concepts of personal choice rather as opposed to social policing
Creation of Islamic state or Islamic republic in the last century and modern times is a grave mistake. Pakistan is one prime example but it also had a genetic defect. It was trying to model itself to the hyped "Mughal Empire" which is in reality not a modern state/modern nation.It forces the moderates to make the state compete with the Islamists to enforce sharia as a state law. It creates a political dynamics which spills over to non Islamic states and mayhem follows.

There was recently one article talking about LIBERAL ISLAMIC STATE which by definition does not impose sharia as a state sponsered law. Muslims of the subcontinent who are not arabs - BD groups have started talking about this.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

I have to disagree. A female colleague is still working in Dubai - she faces immense difficulties as a woman, she needs to arrange for her male colleagues to pose as her "husband" even for normal bank transactions. She simply counts the days to the end of her contract. I will not go into the details of other aspects of the exploitation that goes on, socially and economically under the pretext of having an Islamic society. Qatar's experiments with democratic representations is increasingly returning the more orthodox elements, and there has already been distinct moves towards curtailing the so-called "liberal trends".
That is what turned youthful fundamentalist willing cannon fodder of 1979 in to reformists by 1989 demanding an end to theocracy, and the constitutional separation of church and state.
Well apparently these reformists have now become tired. Recent elections returned the Ayatollaists.
The keys are
Muslim tolerance of other Muslims is conducive or a pre-condition to tolerance of non-Muslims? If Islam itself enjoins intolerance of the non-Muslim, then unification of Islamic sects simply means more intensive and concentrated aggression on the non-Muslim. Yes encouraging ethnic cultural pride is a way forward, but the Islamic theologians resist this tooth and nail. I have seen this personally in South India. I don't think there is much alternative to encouraging Muslims to leave Islam, and to establish that Islam is irrelevant for the modern period and society.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

brihaspati,

That comment was about the 1400 year history of Islam. I am not sure one can notice transformation of such a phenomenon in a matter of 9 years.

I am sure future trends in Indian politics will bear out, what you wish to claim. It is not wishful thinking however, but simply an agenda for any agent of change.
Yes I am aware of the various trends and conflicts within the 1400 year history of Islam - I have really made intensive studies of Islamic history, and gone to the extent of learning two of the important languages of Islam to read in the original what they usually do not reveal to non-Muslims. My studies have shown to me that overall Islamic behaviour has been most consistent with the core diktats of the religion, and we are sometimes confused because we usually do not have access to this material and cannot realize that the twists in outward behaviour are really part of an overall long term expansion/subjugation policy. But these conflicts were almost never about what to do with the "non-Muslim". The Muslim policy about the non-Muslim was very clear-cut and only modified by practical feasibility of what the texts demanded. What is usually touted as "tolerant" interpretation of Islam as regards non-Muslims always coincided with the regime's perception of its own political/military weakness in a "sea of non-Muslims" or commercial dependence on "non-Muslims", think of Islamic Spain, India and Indonesia. I am less concerned with what happens inside Islam about itself, and what it does to its own followers - for it is after all something tolerated by Muslims themselves. I am much more concerned about what Islam does to non-Muslims, and here my field experiences have been extremely worrying - reinforcing my impression from Islamic history as written by Islamists themselves, that we are sitting on a "smart bomb", a thinking, planning, determined bomb aimed at ultimate "conquest" of all that refuses to "submit" (in Qureshi Arabic, the language of the Quran - the word Islam is derived from the tri-literal root - s-l-m meaning "submission" and not "peace" as is normally claimed by trying to falsely derive it from the Hebrew "Shalom").
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Johann,

Have no doubt on what you state, as the current state, in the various states mentioned are true.

It takes a long time to play these things out. The Ottaman empire had been moribund for centuries before the final burial. Attaturk came along to set a new vision for the modern state of Turkey at a time, when one way or the other the old structures had to go. It is touching almost 90 years now, since Attaturk brought these changes in Turkey in an attempt to reform society. The cause for worry is after 90 years, Islamic identity is again rearing its head. What shape it will take in the years and decades to come is anyone’s guess.

There is another pattern observed. The move to a more democratic model leads to more Islamization, at least in the population, if not the official organs of the state. The more globalized we become the more the cultural and civilizational aspects play a dominant role in the politics of the nation. Indonesia, Turkey and even Iran seem to follow this model. Cairo was known to be a liberal and thriving city, where secular thought dominated – not anymore. So was Karachi.

The pride of the people of Iran, at least I feel, is more rooted in political accomplishments of the nation than any real sense of pride in its pre-islamic heritage. I do not know, to what degree does this pre-islamic heritage of Iran govern the nations ethos. The Shah, in his own way tried to steer Iran towards a liberal nation but the nation rejected these moves (ofcourse there were other reasons). Indonesia has not officially adopted a sharia constitution yet, but can any visitor to Jakarta not see the difference in the people there from 20 years ago to today? Are they not more Islamized today, than they were 20-40 years back?

It is this continuing march towards steady Islamization that concerns me. There may be periods of lull. Economic growth, a liberal education and a focus on the individual are fine concepts but people – not just muslims – need a social and spiritual (religious) framework to organize around.

The only way out is for muslims to cease to be muslims, at least not in the sense of the Quran and the Hadiths. I know of only two proven models.

1. Spain
2. The fight against communism

The first is not practical for a country, such as India. It is the second type of a fight, that I pin my hopes on. I am convinced, it can be won.

Brihaspati: Welcome to the forum. The forum used to have a thread to study Islamism and after 60,000 pages, and understanding every nook and cranny of the History and Theology of Islamic doctrine, people got bored. Too bad, it was never archived. So, you are in good company here.
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

ShauryaT wrote:Johann,

Have no doubt on what you state, as the current state, in the various states mentioned are true.

It takes a long time to play these things out. The Ottaman empire had been moribund for centuries before the final burial. Attaturk came along to set a new vision for the modern state of Turkey at a time, when one way or the other the old structures had to go. It is touching almost 90 years now, since Attaturk brought these changes in Turkey in an attempt to reform society. The cause for worry is after 90 years, Islamic identity is again rearing its head. What shape it will take in the years and decades to come is anyone’s guess.
Shaurya,

Turkey whether under the Ottoman Empire, or under Attaturk and his successors was driven by its elites. From the 19th century onwards these elites were Turkish nationalists who sought to both modernise and Europeanise Turkey.

EU pressure among other things has forced Turkey to shift from a largely elite driven society to a democratically driven society.

Nothing I've seen suggests that the majority of the Turkish public want the wall between church and state to be breached.

They may have voted a party that is *relatively* conservative, but they are content with a party that by the measures of Islamists all over the world has totally embraced and committed itself to maintaining a godless system.
Cairo was known to be a liberal and thriving city, where secular thought dominated – not anymore. So was Karachi.
Cairo's slums and lower middle class were always religious. Its neighborhoods were the wealthiest and most powerful lived always dominated by people who always made it clear that they would never let religion get in the way of their lifestyle. Nothing has changed in that sense since the advent of full Egyptian independence.

In my lifetime I have seen the jihadi wave in Egypt peak and wane.

Even poor Egyptians sympathetic to the Islamist critiques of the ruling dictatorship were truly horrified when Islamic Group jihadis gunned down 57 tourists in Luxor in 1997. Not just because Egypt depends on tourism, but because they felt it was barbaric, and a terrible stain on what they saw as their tradition of hospitality. That attack was the real turning point in the jihadi campaign to seize power. Their public standing fell so drastically that most members signed a petition rejecting the use of violence. This is in many ways unique in the Sunni world. Usually in places like Iraq or Jordan its been barbarities against Sunni Muslims that turn majority opinions against Salafi jihadis, but in Egypt it was attacks on kaafirs.

In the last 10 years I have seen far more penetration of global pop culture and all that goes with it (first and foremost the idea of individual choice) among traditionally conservative, orthodox middle class Egyptians. The response of most young Egyptians of this generation has been to find a brand of Islam that allows them to accommodate their tastes, and that has fuelled the popularity of people like Amr Khaled, who is NOT of the Zakir Naik - i.e. telegenic intolerance. This shift from Islam as a total take it or leave it package, enforced by society to more of a salad bar approach where you take what seems right to you is good news.

As for Karachi - Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc are in a special category.
The pride of the people of Iran, at least I feel, is more rooted in political accomplishments of the nation than any real sense of pride in its pre-islamic heritage. I do not know, to what degree does this pre-islamic heritage of Iran govern the nations ethos. The Shah, in his own way tried to steer Iran towards a liberal nation but the nation rejected these moves (ofcourse there were other reasons).

The only way to know what Iran is really like is to spend as much time with Iranians as possible, and best of all to visit.

Iran regards itself as a civilisation-state, much like India, China and the EU. The way Iranians see it, they brought culture to Islam, not the other way around.

Iran's national epic was and is the Shahnameh, not the Quran. Its poetry, its traditions in the arts and sciences are all tremendous sources of Persian pride, but they are seen as part of its cultural continuity.

The Shah was committed to two things - Iranian greatness, and the greatness of the Pahlavi dynasty. His best years were between 1955 and 1973, when as you say he did champion education, land reform, industrialisation, etc.

Unfortunately the oil money following the Arab-Israeli war went to his head and he became convinced that he was all knowing and all-perfect. He turned Iran in to a 1-party state, pis$ing off the liberals who had supported him, while allowing inflation to run rampant pis$ing off ordinary people who saw economic improvements eroding away.

The Iranian revolution did NOT start as an Islamic revolution - it was a revolution against an increasingly out of touch and brutal absolute monarchy. It happened because liberals, leftists and Islamists came together. The Islamists on their own were never able to get rid of the Shah, even though theyd been trying since the early 1960s to destroy him.

That was much like the Russian revolution, which did not start as a communist revolution, but was successfully hijacked by a tiny Bolshevik party through a mixture of pure luck and pure ruthlesness.

Yet the mullahs were not able to hijack all aspects of the revolution. Khomeini created a 2-track system, where a democratic was overlaid by a theocratic system that held the ultimate levers of power. He could not create a unitary theocratic system simply because even he couldnt get away with that much as he wanted to. The Iranian parliament, the majlis is far more powerful than it was under the Shah. This is a long standing Iranian struggle, going back to the Constitutional Revolution of 1905-06

In Iran today the mullahs remain in charge as the CPSU did in the 1970s through a mix of inertia and coerscion, but their days are numbered. Just as the CPSU produced liberals who dismantled much of the system, the mullahs must contend with the revolutionaries who have turned in to reformers.
Indonesia has not officially adopted a sharia constitution yet, but can any visitor to Jakarta not see the difference in the people there from 20 years ago to today? Are they not more Islamized today, than they were 20-40 years back?
I would say based on my experiences that Indonesia is more polarised than it was 20 years ago. A minority are more Islamic than they were, while the majority are less Islamic in particular, and less religious in general than they were back then.

However perceptions in Java about heritage and identity have not changed - it is still a country where the Ramayana is accepted as the national epic, and where the national airlines name, Garuda isnt seen as strange or foreign at all.

This is in stark contrast to Malaysia, where Islamisation has progressed widely and deeply.
It is this continuing march towards steady Islamization that concerns me. There may be periods of lull. Economic growth, a liberal education and a focus on the individual are fine concepts but people – not just muslims – need a social and spiritual (religious) framework to organize around.

The only way out is for muslims to cease to be muslims, at least not in the sense of the Quran and the Hadiths. I know of only two proven models.
Sure, the majority of humans seek some system that offers comfort, value structures, identity, etc.

However there's a huge difference between Muslims submitting to the demands of a unitary Islam that *commands* every aspect of their life, harnessing it to a greater cause that puts little value on their individual life, and Muslims reducing Islam to a set of personal choices that work for them as individuals.

Regional cultural pride, economic mobility, consumerism, the freedom to make personal social, economic and political choices encourage Muslims to treat Islam as the latter instead of the former. Why do you think the mullahs and the jihadis hate all this stuff so much anyway?
Last edited by Johann on 12 Dec 2008 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The debate for eastern or western bloc support for India in its own war against (Paki) terror,is becoming less important,as India needs global support.This is exactly what the Russians are reportedly have told us,go to the UN,where the legitimacy of India's stand against Pak can be underlined and legitimised.The speed with which the UNSC has declared ceratin paki broups/individluals as terrorists is a lesson in point.As we cement our stand as terror victime of Pak and its terror entities on the issue,we should carefully plan our future course of action both diplomatically and militarily.

One inescapable fact remains,that the US is still trying to maintain its erstwhile scandalous relationship with Pak,which from its soil all Islamist terror emanates.It wants to have its cake and eat it too.It has had historical links with Paki jihadis and the ISI, these two entities have tried to win Pak Afghanistan and Kashmir by proxy.While Pak tries to obfuscate on the latest terror against India,the US is still trying to prevent India from taking military action against Pak,while mouthing all the required platitudes .
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

One can cite countries like Iran, Indonesia, or Turkey (or even UAE) as examples of free & liberal aspects of Iszlam. Muaslim societies have shown a continuous tendency to oscillate between extremism & inclusiveness, depending on many factors like their relative wealth, power, and social issues they face. While Turkey is modern today, it was not this way in during the Ottomans. It may be hard to imagine, but Kabul had mini skirted women frolicking on its street as late as 1970's. Punjabi mussalmaaans, now known all over the world for unleashing the most baseest forces known to humankind, were a docile people well integrated with kaaafirs. Every fanatical M country of today, you can find that it was a well-integrated docile liberal paradise some time in the past.

So in 2008, you can find one set of countries satisfying the good-muaslim criteria, in 2058, it would be another set, and in 2108 it would be still another. Some who are OK now will fall off the cliff later, and some who are illeberal today, will stake claim to modernity tomorrow. There is no real solution. It is like a watering system in Indian villages, the cans of water from the well rise up then go down to the well again. The chain of cans are doomed to all descend, and then come out ever so briefly.
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

surinder wrote:
So in 2008, you can find one set of countries satisfying the good-muaslim criteria, in 2058, it would be another set, and in 2108 it would be still another.
Surinder, very nicely articulated. I have been having this opinion for quite sometime. Corroborates with the general observation made by many BRFites that the "ideology" is the root cause of this kind of behaviour.
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Surinder,

The Ottoman Empire abolished the jizaya tax in 1856, almost 70 years before the Turkish republic was created. Pressure from European states played a part, but at least as important was the fact that the Ottoman elite were taking to the idea of the idea of citizenship, and the idea of universal rights regardless of religion. The Turkish Republic's values did not come out of a vacuum.

Miniskirts in Kabul is all well and good - but Kabul was its own little world within Afghanistan. Things changed drastically even 5 miles outside the capital. Such tiny elites living lifestyles that are *unavailable* to the majority, and whose power was based on a week an fragile power struture was bound to see trouble.

Liberal values can not be confined to a small elite - it has to be shared far more broadly in order to be sustained.

What are the legs on which broad based acceptance of a liberal society stand? It still comes down to the same things - pride and immersion in culture at the grassroots level, the elite's commitment to economic opportunity and upward social mobility coupled with modern education, female empowerment, and ultimately political participation for the whole population.

These are things that the Pakistani elite for example absolutely never bothered with. Culture and identity for the masses was largely sold in Islamic terms. Education, broad economic growth, civil society, all neglected.

The process of turning elite commitment in to state commitment, which goes on to shape a national path based on citizens buying in - its a complex process with many places where failure may occur.

Yet when we compare say the decisions made by Iranian, Pakistani, Turkish, Malaysian, Indonesian, Egyptian, etc elites we see real differences, which translate to radically different outcomes.

Turkey and Indonesia for example simply cant be compared with Afghanistan of the 1960s-70s. These former possess far, far more effective and coherent states than Afghanistan has ever been, with a far larger educated class, and with relative social, economic, cultural and political liberalism that has trickled down to where the majority of society lives.

Pakistan and Malaysia on the other hand have succeeded in pushing Islamist views out to the majority of their Muslim citizens. In Pakistan there has been no social or economic transformation to speak of.

That kind of long term deep reach, whether for good or ill is unlikely to see rapid reversal.

Brihaspati,
A female colleague is still working in Dubai - she faces immense difficulties as a woman, she needs to arrange for her male colleagues to pose as her "husband" even for normal bank transactions. She simply counts the days to the end of her contract. I will not go into the details of other aspects of the exploitation that goes on, socially and economically under the pretext of having an Islamic society.
I don’t know your friends situation, but Dubai is a place with many options, which is what makes it so different from the rest of the Middle East. There are international banks, and there are some major 'women's banks'.

You might find this interesting http://www.thenational.ae/article/20081 ... 17780/1041

From my own observations, the article is right. There are more and more Arab women in the Gulf who control their own assets and run their own businesses. Its a quiet social revolution thats trickling down from the super-wealthy, down to the wealthy upper middle class, and working its way further down. Its happening a lot faster in the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain etc than Saudi Arabia for obvious reasons.
Well apparently these reformists have now become tired. Recent elections returned the Ayatollaists.
As for the Iranian elections - the reformist swept elections after elections in the 1990s. The only way the mullahs could fight back is by disqualifying the majority of reform candidates, shutting down their newspapers and by jailing and beating their supporters. Reformist minded Iranians then (perhaps unwisely) boycotted elections, and the result has been what we saw.

The mullahs have undermined the legitimacy of their favoured candidates through such rigging and intimidation. The reformist movement in Iran is like Solidarity in Poland in the early 1980s after the martial law crackdown, but before the collapse of communism. Apparantly contained, but still with enormous public support, waiting for the moment that the authorities lose their grip or their nerve.
defending the sectarian and cultural diversity amongst Muslims from majoritarianism; i.e. as long as Muslims are intolerant of other Muslims, you cant hope to see tolerance towards non-Muslims.
If Islam itself enjoins intolerance of the non-Muslim, then unification of Islamic sects simply means more intensive and concentrated aggression on the non-Muslim.
Who said anything about unification? The imperative to unification is the absolute opposite of diversity. Learning to accept differences changes one’s outlook. The least sectarian Muslim societies are also the ones with the greatest tolerance of non-Muslims. This is not a coincidence.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Johann,
I can see that you are optimistic about Islam's tendency to modernize. I do not see it, as I can only think of this as temporary compromise and show of liberality as a tactical measure - aimed at preserving the core leadership of Islamic theologians so that they can survive as a class to carry on their agenda into the future. This has happened many times in the history of Islam, and is nothing new - and quite consistent with the core teachings. I will remain the pessimist about this, and I realize the essential reason the non-Muslims always retreated and were subjugated by Islam - Muhammad's shrewd observation that the non-Muslims were always divided in their opinions about Muslims and this was a crucial tactical advantage to make alliances with one faction against the other. Inevitably, Muslims tried to impress the most gullible or idealistic among the non-Muslims who were limited by their commitment to a "liberal and tolerant" outlook towards the Muslims, and most of the time at the end I find these liberal and tolerant ones either being forced to convert or actually being executed. The key to Muslim leadership is deception - and they skillfully use this to gain tactical advantage. I see no alternative to complete erasure of Islam as a practised religion, and that we should not repeat the mistakes of liberalism that has brought us to this spot on the subcontinent. Failure to realize the core agenda of Islam and how it is maintained among Islamic social networks is a dangerous failure for the security of non-Muslims of India, and so far the Islamists have performed brilliantly.
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Brihaspati,

I am not counting on 'Islam' to modernise.

Every meme or cluster of memes must contend with or capitalise on human nature.

One of the basic elements of human nature is that people want both security (in every sense of the term) and personal space at the same time, even though there is an inherent tension between the two.

There are *some* Muslim societies, including some significant ones, where the elites (and I dont just mean those who exercise political power) committed themselves to delivering a better quality of life in both the humanistic and material sense to all of their people.

In those cases where governments and elites have been able to deliver, the majority of Muslims have gladly accepted those changes.

They have made accommodations in a number of ways - by downgrading Islam in their hierarchy of identities (ie being an Iranian, or a mother first, and a Muslim second or third, or fourth), by seeing Islam not as a set of obligations, but as a set of choices, etc.

These are not theological reforms. They are the responses of human beings who very badly want something in their reach that conflicts with existing norms, and find ways to circumvent them in order to have their cake and eat it too. Its one thing when only elites are doing this - its another thing when an expanding middle class and the working class are doing it too.
renukb
BRFite

Post by renukb »

China, Pakistan and India
http://blogs.reuters.com/pakistan/2008/ ... and-india/

According to Pakistani newspaper the Daily Times, Pakistan’s decision to crack down on the Jammat-ud-Dawa, the charity linked to the Laskhar-e-Taiba, came as the result of pressure from China. Jammat-ud-Dawa was blacklisted by a UN Security Council committee this week.

The Daily Times noted that earlier attempts to target the Jamaat-ud-Dawa at the Security Council had been vetoed by China. “It is the Chinese “message” that has changed our mind. The Chinese did not veto the banning of Dawa on Wednesday, and they had reportedly told Islamabad as much beforehand, compelling our permanent representative at the UN to assert that Pakistan would accept the ban if it came,” the newspaper said. “One subliminal message was also given to Chief Minister Punjab, Mr Shehbaz Sharif, during his recent visit to China, and the message was that Pakistan had to seek peace with India or face change of policy in Beijing. Once again, it is our friend China whose advice has been well taken…”

This is intriguing, all the more so given how much attention has has been focused on what the United States has been doing to lean on Pakistan to curb militant groups blamed by India for the attacks on Mumbai. So what has been going on? Has China, with its growing economic power, become a pivotal player in global diplomacy even as the United States continues to hog the limelight?

We’ve always known that China has had a major role in South Asia. But in the past it was a seen as the ultimate all-weather ally of Pakistan, to be used if necessary against India, with which it has vied for influence in Asia and against which it fought a border war in 1962. Is this call for peace an example of it taking on a U.S.-style role of regional policeman, as I discussed in a post back in June about India, Pakistan and China?

The Times of India quotes Shashi Tharoor as saying that there was a feeling in China that its opposition to India on the issue of terrorism would “no longer be compatible with its being seen as a responsible player in the system”.

The Asia Times Online, in a report datelined Bangalore, put China’s decision to support the crackdown on Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) in a more pragmatic context. “An official in India’s Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), who spoke to Asia Times Online on condition of anonymity, said that in the wake of the international outrage triggered by the Mumbai attacks, the Pakistan government realized that whether or not the UN body designated JuD as terrorist, it would be compelled by the US to act against the group,” it said. “In the circumstances, it felt it would be better to be seen to be acting under UN orders rather than pressure from India or the US. Hence the Pakistan-China decision to go along with the other Security Council members this time,” it quoted the MEA official as saying.

Personally, I don’t really understand what is going on in the India-Pakistan-China equation (largely because I don’t know much about China). So instead, I’ve drawn up a list of questions on which I’d appreciate comments and which I aim to address in subsequent posts:

1) Has China decided that given its growing stake in the global economy, it has a greater interest in encouraging peace between India and Pakistan?

2) Has it become as important, or more important, a player in South Asia than the United States?

3) If it is aiming now to become an even-handed arbiter between India and Pakistan, why are there still so many problems along the Indian-Chinese border?

4) Why, if China was such a reliable friend of Pakistan, did it refuse to bail out its economy and leave the civilian government there with no option but to turn to the IMF?

5) What do we make of the fact that Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Kayani made his first visit to China, while President Asif Ali Zardari went to the United States?

6) What is the long-term gameplan? And what does this mean for South Asia and the rest of the world?

Are there other questions out there that need to be asked?
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

I know this is the great game thread, where very early on Paul & Ramana posited that the geo-politics would play out irrespective of ideology of the actors - i.e., this was the Great Game precisely because the basic rules of the game was free of the context of ideology. But then, the game has evolved, and now a highly distributed ideological raktabeeja* is a player. That is to say, if pakistan were to be created as artificially as it has been now, to the east of India, the game would not be in a state that it is now.

Earlier we assumed Geography=Great Game, but now it is clear that
Greater Game = Geography + theta*Ideology.
Now we have an additional parameter theta, that controls the intensity of ideological influence, which needs to be calibrated. (Pardon the pun, but when vocalized as theeTa, theta in some of the dravidian languages refers to the monkey on the back.)

For what it is worth, I think discussions between Johann & Brihaspati, which are precisely about calibration of theta, are right in place in this thread. now, that also means extra work for admin ramana to keep the hyperbole-walas out of the way, but hey, how good is a study of the great game in 2008 going to be if it operates on the idealized principles of 1947.

I dont know if this is the right place for it, but someday's ago I read Rajesh's thesis about actually burdening some of the indian muslim leadership with actual leadership within the framework of indian constitution. I think, a lot of posturing and attitude and romantic minoritism and the borrowed angst of the IMs would naturally collapse under the weight of actual responsibilities and realities. A lot of IMs and nonmuslim intelligencia on their behalf have been doing a whole lot of back seat driving. It is perhaps time for them actually get a feel of the actual road conditions. and it will be interesting to see how they raise the stakes in the great game.
----------------
Last edited by shaardula on 14 Dec 2008 19:25, edited 2 times in total.
Nesoj
BRFite

Post by Nesoj »

This para in a article in the Guardian is quite interesting

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/de ... a-pakistan
Why is Gordon Brown in India and Pakistan?
........... Add in a global recession that requires a stable and prosperous India to bolster flagging western economies, and a Pakistani economy that has teetered on the edge of bankruptcy in recent months, and it is not hard to see why this region is suddenly of intense interest to Brown.
Rye
BRFite

Post by Rye »

AFAICT, Great game is still all about geography -- Islam/religion/ideology/communism was seen as a useful tool to propagate western interests by capturing territory that will come under control by proxy for powers who have been involved in this "game" for centuries. Surely the incongruence of claiming to fight islamic terror while also providing billions of $$ of funding for decades indicates that the so-called "fight against terror" by the west is a fig leaf for achieving geo-poliutical objectives. Summarily, religion/ideology can be used to create chaos/control if passions are manipulated among peoples who can help gain control of territory in the long-term. Geography is the only immutable constant in this domain (unless viewed in geological time spans) -- I think there is a reason why the likes of Kissinger have an urge to redraw borders by making fancy claims about "the death of a nation state" and that is exactly because the "game" in its current form has reached a dead end for the west. The borders drawn by the british are no longer as useful and new players have been added to the mix. Outside Geographgy, everything else can be manipulated with sufficient knowledge/will...not saying such manipulations will not result in unintended consequences, but just that these factors are not immutable unlike geography.
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

shaardula wrote: For what it is worth, I think discussions between Johann & Brihaspati, which are precisely about calibration of theta, are right in place in this thread. now, that also means extra work for admin ramana to keep the hyperbole-walas out of the way, but hey, how good is a study of the great game in 2008 going to be if it operates on the idealized principles of 1947.

I dont know if this is the right place for it, but someday's ago I read Rajesh's thesis about actually burdening some of the indian muslim leadership with actual leadership within the framework of indian constitution. I think, a lot of posturing and attitude and romantic minoritism and the borrowed angst of the IMs would naturally collapse under the weight of actual responsibilities and realities. A lot of IMs and nonmuslim intelligencia on their behalf have been doing a whole lot of back seat driving. It is perhaps time for them actually get a feel of the actual road conditions. and it will be interesting to see how they raise the stakes in the great game.
Shaardula,

My posts in this thread have largely been about the role that progressive elites in certain Muslim majority societies and states have played.

However, I have to point out that its much, much harder for this to happen among minority Muslim communities.

The issue boils down once again to the complexities of collective identities - people are often far more likely to be self conscious about their identity as 'Muslims' when surrounded by the other. This in turn can make them more fearful that change will lead to the weakening and dissolution of identity.

Pakistan is a peculiarity in that Islamic identity has grown stronger with homogenisation rather than the other way around - this is on account of the fact that rather that all of the regional/linguistic Muslim identities had to be dismantled in order to create a single Pakistani national identity, a generic, unitary Islam of the subcontinent divorced from culture.

That creation is very dangerous because its potentially highly infectious anywhere in the subcontinent - what it has done in Bangladesh, which should have become a 'normal' Muslim country (perhaps even another Indonesia) is very worrying.

Attempting to create a national Muslim leadership in India is going down the same road that produced this acultural, highly aggressive subcontinental Islamic identity in the first place.

It is important to recognise that there is not one, but many Indian Muslim communities, and treat them as such.

The generic 'Indian Muslim' is an Islamic goal, not a reality. A realistic look at recent history suggests it should not be strengthened or propagated.
Outside Geographgy, everything else can be manipulated with sufficient knowledge/will...not saying such manipulations will not result in unintended consequences, but just that these factors are not immutable unlike geography.
- Geography is not immutable any more. Think of the Suez Canal, or Karokoram Highway. Or the ballistic missile.

- Nobody can quite agree what 'The Great Game' is today - the reality is that there are many 'Great Games' in play, some of them in conflict with each other, rather than one single contest. There is the quest for energy security, there is the quest to prevent jihadi attacks, and there is the lingering ideological competition between different kinds of political systems (e.g. this has *always* been a factor in India-PRC relations even when the GoI preferred or pretended it didnt) which frame the areas competition between the major powers, and interact in non-linear ways.

- One can not divorce the unique aspects of individual societies from geopolitical phenomenon.

Why was Afghanistan the buffer zone between empires so often? Is it really just geography? Or was it that the Pashtun population's fierce and aggressive tribalism made them too hard for any state, Afghan or non-Afghan to govern?

The terrain aided the tribalism, but there are much rougher pieces of inhabited terrain in the world which have been pacified. Geography (or geology :)) is never the only factor.
Rye
BRFite

Post by Rye »

Johann wrote:
- Geography is not immutable any more. Think of the Suez Canal, or Karokoram Highway. Or the ballistic missile.
Suez canal is a good example of changing geography, but the ballistic missile does not change geography more than it overcomes geographical limitations in projecting power. I guess you are reading "Geography is not mutable" different than Iam.
- Nobody can quite agree what 'The Great Game' is today - the reality is that there are many 'Great Games' in play, some of them in conflict with each other, rather than one single contest.
Yes, but the point is that there is at least one "game" (there is more than one for sure, but all of them seem to be motivated by control of trade routes on land and sea).
There is the quest for energy security, there is the quest to prevent jihadi attacks, and there is the lingering ideological competition between different kinds of political systems (e.g. this has *always* been a factor in India-PRC relations even when the GoI preferred or pretended it didnt) which frame the areas competition between the major powers, and interact in non-linear ways.
India and China alone do not explain the quest for powers to possess long-term control of trade routes that would assist India and China -- that "game" is independent of competition between India and China. Also, there is no indication that there is any attempt by the west to prevent jihadi attacks than an attempt to redirect it towards India and then reap any attendant benefits from the fallout of such support for terrorism in India by the US/UK (Gordon Brown's funding of the Pakis "to save them" is nothing but a transparent attempt to bribe the paki jihadis to not attack the UK and focus elsewhere).
- One can not divorce the unique aspects of individual societies from geopolitical phenomenon.
Never said otherwise, but these individual societies can be influenced to change their behaviour more easily than you can overcome geographical limitations in a specific context (you cannot always build a suez canal or use techonology to overcome limitations imposed by nature). Human ability to do such engineering feats to defeat nature is still limited -- geography would be truly mutable if humans had capabilities as in Ringworld. (fiction of course).
Why was Afghanistan the buffer zone between empires so often? Is it really just geography? Or was it that the Pashtun population's fierce and aggressive tribalism made them too hard for any state, Afghan or non-Afghan to govern?
Well, Pashtuns did not destroy afghanisthan in the 1980s, the superpowers did, so this claim is not really true. Afghanisthan was doing just fine on its own until it was set on fire during the cold war, and of course, the Afghans have never been pushovers when it comes to violence/warfare, but that does not mean Afghans are the ones responsible for the current situation any more than Serbia is responsible for Kosovo "breaking away", yes?
The terrain aided the tribalism, but there are much rougher pieces of inhabited terrain in the world which have been pacified. Geography (or geology :)) is never the only factor.
I guess you mean the isolated terrain aids tribalism, but that isolation is a result of the "games" played in that region for so long, not the cause. Also, I am not sure about the relevance of terrain and the ability to pacify the locals. Pacification can only happen if there is a motivation/intent/will to pacify -- if the west wants to keep Russia out of the region in the long-term and vice-versa (which is one of the many "games"), there is no intention or motivation among any of the players to even push for pacification of the local populace. Case in point is the feeding of billions of $$s to the jihadis in the Pakistani army "to fight terror" --- handing over resources to entities that will counter any such pacification of the tribals does not indicate a motivation on the part of the US/UK to bring any semblance of control to Afghanisthan.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

While at it don't get side tracked into a discussion of Islamism etc which obscure the real focus of the Great and Greater Game. Its about geo-political control of the heartland of Asia which has great impact on Europe and even Eurasia.

Thanks, ramana
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Rye,
Suez canal is a good example of changing geography, but the ballistic missile does not change geography more than it overcomes geographical limitations in projecting power. I guess you are reading "Geography is not mutable" different than Iam.
I mentioned the ballistic missile because each new method or implement of warfare adds a different level of value to geography. What might have been more valuable before may become less valuable today. What was of great value yesterday may not be as valuable today.

Following North Korea's invasion in 1950 the consensus within the West was that nuclear deterrence was an essential element of the overall strategy of containment against expansionist communism.

In the early 1950s Morocco and the UK were essential for the USAF nuclear deterrent to cover all of the Soviet Union. With the arrival of other options such as land and sea ballistic missiles, the US could relinquish its bases in Morocco once those became politically difficult following the US intervention in Lebanon in 1958.

In other words, stuff changes, and so does the relative importance of places in various schemes. A place might regain importance at some other point, but it will probably be in a different context - for example, the serious jihadi problem amongst Moroccan immigrants in Europe, and Morocco's role as a transit point in energy supplies from North Africa to Western Europe.
There is the quest for energy security, there is the quest to prevent jihadi attacks, and there is the lingering ideological competition between different kinds of political systems (e.g. this has *always* been a factor in India-PRC relations even when the GoI preferred or pretended it didnt) which frame the areas competition between the major powers, and interact in non-linear ways.
India and China alone do not explain the quest for powers to possess long-term control of trade routes that would assist India and China -- that "game" is independent of competition between India and China.

All powers, including India and China compete to secure their interests.

The question is how far they are willing to go in doing so. Major ideological competition can make geopollitical competition far more intense, because it isnt just trade that's at stake, but the legitimacy of an entire political system.

What I was referring to in the post was that ideology is a major element of the PRC's threat perception of India. India's democratic model threatens CPC legitimacy both within China, and in China's near abroad, which overlaps in several places with India's near abroad.

That was Mao's perception even when Nehru hoped for Asian solidarity, and it has not changed even with the demise of Maoism in the PRC.

There is a similar dynamic at play between the US and PRC, and between the US and Russia. There was such an element between India and the USSR until the death of Stalin, but which declined after that.
Also, there is no indication that there is any attempt by the west to prevent jihadi attacks than an attempt to redirect it towards India and then reap any attendant benefits from the fallout of such support for terrorism in India by the US/UK (Gordon Brown's funding of the Pakis "to save them" is nothing but a transparent attempt to bribe the paki jihadis to not attack the UK and focus elsewhere).
The UK's experience with Arab states (Algeria and Morocco) that the first wave of jihadi threats in the UK came out of was that they were eager and willing to cooperate with the British government in detecting networks and preventing attacks. The British want the same degree of cooperation and commitment from the Pakistanis.

The assumption is not that the Pakistanis can turn off the tap any more than it was assumed that the Algerians or Morccans can stamp out the jihadi threat from within. The British government, like the American government wants the Pakistanis to commit themselves to fight anybody and everybody who intends to conduct attacks on them on their own soil or abroad.

In both the British and American establishment point of view, Pakistan should behave like any other traditional ex-colonial ally in the Muslim world - like Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc. The fact that it has not on the subject of the jihadis is something that causes deep frustration and confusion. Why are the Pakistanis not working with us on this? Maybe they need more resources. Maybe we need to show more concern for their concerns. The frustration has turned to annoyance over the last few years, and it will progressively turn to anger and hostility as overall commitment to cooperation fails to improve.
Well, Pashtuns did not destroy afghanisthan in the 1980s, the superpowers did, so this claim is not really true. Afghanisthan was doing just fine on its own until it was set on fire during the cold war, and of course, the Afghans have never been pushovers when it comes to violence/warfare, but that does not mean Afghans are the ones responsible for the current situation any more than Serbia is responsible for Kosovo "breaking away", yes?
Rye, the question I had posed was why Afghanistan was the traditional buffer zone for a very long time between Iran, Central Asia and the Subcontinent regardless of who was the dominant powers in these areas.

It isnt just geography - it was the difficulty of any power in conquering and ruling the Pashtuns, which in turn was a result of an intensely tribal structure. Areas that none can govern will automatically become buffer zones.

As far as the Pashtuns go, the issue of nationality, and the question of whether an internally strong, but externally non-threatening state can emerge is vital. History is not encouraging - it is possible, but it will be difficult to achieve, and will remain fragile.

As for the Cold War, Afghanistan was never a theatre that either superpower paid much attention until the very late 1970s - both were content to leave it as a buffer zone.

The most crucial external players in Afghanistan until that point were neither the US nor USSR, but Pakistan and Iran. The key factor here is the Pashtun population's spread across the Durand Line, and the Afghan and Pakistani governments competition for their loyalties, and therefore for their territorial integrity.

The question of what direction Afghanistan should go in the 1960s was an inherently political one that tore the Afghan ruling classes apart- monarchy, republicanism, socialism, communism, Islamism all had their takers.

Pakistan consistantly from the 1960s backed polarising Islamist forces because those were the ones that they saw as the ones most likely to accept the status quo, and potentially expand Pakistani influence.

The Shah's Iran did not back Islamists, but was not content to allow Afghanistan to remain a neutral buffer zone, but wished to explicitly turn Afghanistan, like other surrounding states in to an Iranian client.

The Soviet response to the potential loss of Afghanistan as a buffer was to encourage the communists to take over through a coup in 1978, and when the communist govt faltered, through direct intervention. The coup but especially the invasion in turn brought the Americans in, seeing this as a breakdown of Soviet-American detente.

It is Pakistan and Iran that drew the superpowers in to Afghanistan rather than the other way around.
Rye
BRFite

Post by Rye »

Johann wrote:
I mentioned the ballistic missile because each new method or implement of warfare adds a different level of value to geography. What might have been more valuable before may become less valuable today. What was of great value yesterday may not be as valuable today.
Johann, So that we do not get sidetracked on issues on which there is already violent agreement, let me state my assumptions (which I believe are more like axioms of geopolitics).

o Geopolitical value of a piece of land/sea is time-sensitive and context-sensitive. This is in violent agreement with your explanation of "geography is mutable".

For example, on a day-to-day basis, a specific area of land/sea may have higher value during conflict but lesser value during peacetime, for example, elevated areas overlooking some strategic piece of land would be of higher value if none of the competing entities have aircraft or technology to reach higher elevation without using roads. (so the context for assigning value of roads to elevated areas is the tech. capabilities of entities that may be competing for the same piece of land.

o The Geopolitical value for a piece of land/sea for a competing entity is closely related to the mindset/culture of the individuals comprising that group.

For example, a goat-rich region of Afghanisthan would be of more value to pakistanis (who would see a radical increase in their chances for finding a girlfriend) than a region with just a lot of women. More seriously, Afghanisthan before the 80s was peaceful and not radicalized and more conducive to trade, so I think it was not necessarily a "buffer zone" back then -- the value of that piece of land is only " buffer zone" currently because all structures of governance have been destroyed over the past decades, leaving the people of the regions to resort to unstructured/ad hoc means of control. Pushtun Nationalism might bring back a more progressive mode of thinking among the pushtuns (for example) that makes the region less of a "buffer" and more of a "trade partner"....surely these people also need food and clothing material like anyone else, if they are not too busy slicing each others' throats and are willing to create a nation that places the pushtun identity over the islamic identity.
The UK's experience with Arab states (Algeria and Morocco) that the first wave of jihadi threats in the UK came out of was that they were eager and willing to cooperate with the British government in detecting networks and preventing attacks. The British want the same degree of cooperation and commitment from the Pakistanis.
That is true but the time interval you are looking at is too short (order of decades), while I am talking more about time in the order of centuries. The colonial powers had a few centuries of activity with the Algerians and moroccans before the interval you mention above. To be more specific, the timescales involved when human ability to do trade in "items of interest" at requisite volumes keeps changing. Take oil, which has value today for running today's combustion engines -- the ability to transport oil in sufficient quantities is only in sea-based mode of transport over long distances -- it is not profitable to transport such oil using Aircraft....but let us say that the air eqiuvalent of the "supertanker" comes into existance. Sea trade routes would drastically drop in value.

So, to be clear, I am *always* talking in today's context, and the apparent values of various geo-political features given current interests and motivations of the various entities involved (the world powers and their subordinates).

To come to something more relevant to this thread, bulk trade of a key energy resource (oil) is mostly sea/land based today, but if we suppose that nuclear fuel replaces oil almost completely at some point in the future (just hypothetical -- this is unlikely to happen without a replacement for the internal combustion engine), then the next "burning human need" would feed what's important.

So we are in agreement in broad terms, but you are considering shorter time frames and ignoring the history of the competing entities in the region, which colours the relationship between the "powers" and the "locals" who "control the geography" so to speak --- since two things usually never change (without some mass killing/genocide in play) (a) location of a place and (b) the peoples occupying that place, those are really the "geographic immutables". Even the nature of the peoples occupying the place will change over time if we assume outside influence is feasible/allowed.
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

Johann wrote:Pakistan consistantly from the 1960s backed polarising Islamist forces because those were the ones that they saw as the ones most likely to accept the status quo, and potentially expand Pakistani influence.
Johann,

Why did the Pakis back only the Islamists? Why did they see backing the polarizing Islamism path as the better path to get to their goals? Was it because of the historical attraction (or memory), since they had acieved Pakistan on that idea?
Rye
BRFite

Post by Rye »

Surinder PLEASE do not trash this thread with Pakistan and islamism -- there's plenty of threads for that. thanks.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

The great positional game as I understand it is very simple - it is about preventing North East Asia from gaining access to the tropical Indian Ocean and its rim - always lucrative for its human favourable climate and reproductive resources, and in the modern period, its oil centred primarily known to be around a virtual centre in the Arabian sea. It is more a positional contest between the North+East vs South+West. This is why the entire middle east, and stretching right into Central Asia is a contested zone. There are two focal tactical avenues for movements - one along a virtual curve starting from Mongolia along the central pathways through the general direction of the silk route in a North-East to south-west tendency - the other from the mediterranean through the general gap between Africa and the Caucasus to the Persian Gulf+Arabain Sea in a general North-West to South East direction. The Iraq and Afghan field of operations is a positional "Y" shaped move up north in the general direction of the Persian Gulf. The left arm of the "Y" aims to isolate Saudis in a pincer movement using the other beachhead through Israel. The right arm of the "Y" is aimed at expanding tactically into a forward base through Afghanistan. It is a race against time for the forces moving the "Y", as the Iraq field was more a diversionary tactics in my estimate - it was partly to prevent any unreliable regime surviving in the rear of the thrust to the North-East. The Afghan North-East gives a vantage point to checkmate three virtual allies - Iran, Russia, and China (allies with respect to convergence of most of their objectives as regards Indian Ocean - they could be simultaneously competing on other arenas). More and more we will find shifting of the focus to Eastern Afghanistan. I would say the Pakistanis are frantic now because, greater thrust towards the North-East (1) cuts them off from Iranian and Chinese supplies (2) their hold on the thin neck of approach to POK becomes vulnerable to pincer attacks coordianted with India which also threatens the Karakorum highway connection to China (3) their ideologically motivated strategic considerations are jeopardized as the main fluid base area operations used in the gray zone bordering Pak+Afghan gets squeezed, and the Islamic theologian+militant networks cannot have social and strategic depth in carrying out their agenda. It is interesting to see that most of the tactic used by the Afghan+Pakiban forces have uncanny similarities to what I know happend with the CCP right from the start of their first base area campaigns in the Chingkangshan highlands after abandoning Comintern ordered city based uprisings. I would suspect quite a few Chinese military tacticians working with the Pakiban. A key part of this strategy would also be to have political/ideological motivators along with military units. This sort of fluid base area strategy is widely discussed in Maoist literature, and the Pakiban are copying almost faithfully the development of the base area theory by Mao and ChuTeh through their first successful operations until they began to get squeezed in the fifth encirclement campaign leading to the famous Long March. The reason for ultimate abandonment of the base area strategy in the South lies with the success of the fifth encirclement campaign and should be studied in details.
Even though Bhadrakumar and others will advise against Indian involvement on the Afghan theatre - I would feel quite strongly that such involvement be seriously considered, not because Uncle Sam "has played us into it" but from India's own long term startegic interests. Presence of the Indian operatives from the Afghan side of the border as part of anti-terror forces (1) reduces the stigma of politically motivated "zingoism" against Pakistan from India (2) gives valuable time to empathise and build up networks with the Pashtuns and assess the potential for any real possibility of a "reformist" Pashtun nationalism willing to sacrifice bits and pieces of Islam as per the hypotheis of many in this forum (- not in a couple of generations, and not as long as the Ulema are allowed to survive among them - personal note!) (3) when time comes to coordinate in a small tight pincer to surround Pakjab in two encircling branches - one going south and east to isolate Sindh and Baloch, and joing up across Rajasthan - the other to cut of the entrance to the Kashmir valley and block the Chitrali tribesmen from moving East.
Of course the "other forces" pushing the Grand Y would like to use India in its overall plans - I see no reason why India should not take maximum advantage from this to secure its long term objectives. For ultimately the Grand Y can help in creating conditions for liberating Tibet and pushing Chinese borders back from India and encircling and isolating Communist dominated Nepal from China. A good excuse to do this is to allow part of the Pakiban to escape through "promptings by moles and turncoats who have been fed up with Kafir evil and seriously want to help the faithful" into North East China among the Muslim tribals. The terror war can then be pushed up to Chinese borders creating a situation where China has to split forces in the north and the west.

Sounds fanciful? :) But I think doable.
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

Rye wrote:Surinder PLEASE do not trash this thread with Pakistan and islamism -- there's plenty of threads for that. thanks.
Rye, Why single me out? I have hardly posted anything. Others have posted far more. Not to mention that my question is not about Islamism, it is about the game played in A'stan.
Rye
BRFite

Post by Rye »

Surinder, Just requesting nicely that you stop posts on Islam and Pakistan on this thread --- Pakistan and Islam have a dozen threads for it, which is the reason for requesting you to stop.

The islamists and pakis are just a tool to further control by proxy, and their peculiar islam-pasand has been understood and exploited by colonial powers who started the great game. So while it is peripherally relevant, it is a distraction to the real game that is going on outside of these islamist bozos. It is about having a lever of control over the energy supply of a 2 billion-strong market (India+China) in the long term, AFAICT.
Raju

Post by Raju »

The islamists and pakis are just a tool to further control by proxy, and their peculiar islam-pasand has been understood and exploited by colonial powers who started the great game. So while it is peripherally relevant, it is a distraction to the real game that is going on outside of these islamist bozos. It is about having a lever of control over the energy supply of a 2 billion-strong market (India+China) in the long term, AFAICT.
this was understood as far back as the 18th century when Indian rulers sought British (who were then just a maritime force) help in putting down discords with Islamist neighbours. this is how the Brits to an entry. Once that was successfully accomplished by the EIC, the anglo-saxon west soon realized the merits of playing with Islam as a tool in this part of the world. And they use that tool effectively till today to control vast variety myriad native populations.

When all else fails in subcontinent they revert to this tried and tested tool of old.