Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Anand K
BRFite

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

Post by Anand K »

I don't agree with cold blooded killing of the kid either..... like, not 400%. But I can see the serendipity for the Serendip (and Indian) Government if the progeny of the great leader regrettably died in the melee...... due to the sins of the father.

And FWIW that was about how this sociopath exacerbated the Sri Lankan Tamil issue to a point of no return. I mean, we had helped out the Sri Lankans in 1971. Could have been handled things the same way in '89 (even after all the events of the early 80s)...... if it weren't for the singular, baleful influence of the late V. Prabhakaran.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Prabhakaran did use childern as troops for a long time. So there is no guarantee this is just a child. Further how come this pictures were taken in the first place. No idiot will take such pictures which show them in a bad light. I do not belieive that the picture is true
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Not defending LTTE. I am saying that upfront.

I cannot be ok with killing a boy due to sins of his father or a presumption that he is a child soldier or he would become VP2 in the future. LTTE were decimated and SLA should have shown how they were better than a terrorist group.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

Rao ji probably we will see the video properly in you-tube iin a few days. I had raised that one query too. Seems like we need to wait one or two days more.

But presuming that the video is true:

The chanakya example is not going to be of any help. Chanakya cannot be invoked only when ones a.. is on fire. Chanakya said a lot lot more which if followed would have short-circuited the whole unfolding of the story. From the Chanakya's darshan this responsibility gets cast on both Indian and Sri Lanka. And I hope Chanakya is followed in spirit then in letter from now on by at least those bound to Iindia to varying degrees.

Someone did say that getting the house in order is more important then going after war criminals. That would be a good start. Because enough people were not upto it when they had to time/opportunity, now the initiative has gone to the other guys hand. Both Sri Lankans and Indians will now become passengers in their own ship now, with others at the steering. Release from this bondage takes priority. And then comes putting in place measures to ensure that this kind of situation gets addressed proactively instead of having to hide it when it blows up on everybodies face.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I don't justify the shooting of a 12 year old. But given the Mentality of SL and need for sustaining LTTE especially in the West. They would have felt that Keeping B. Prabhakaran alive would come back to haunt them in less than a decade.

It is shameful thats how the world works, USA bumped of Saddam Hussein Grand Children who are much younger and world armies have been doing this for ages.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

Aditya_V ji, the world has been doing a lot of things for a lot of reasons. We have to decide for ourselves. Tough luck mate. If eventually we find that it is the Sinhalas that need to be reined in then it is they we work upon and if it is the SL Tamils then it should be them. But worrying at the wheels of an out of control car is not a plan. And control over the Plan is what ensures an avoidance of a repeat.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Aditya_V wrote:I don't justify the shooting of a 12 year old. But given the Mentality of SL and need for sustaining LTTE especially in the West. They would have felt that Keeping B. Prabhakaran alive would come back to haunt them in less than a decade.

It is shameful thats how the world works, USA bumped of Saddam Hussein Grand Children who are much younger and world armies have been doing this for ages.
Dynasty(or descendents, particularly progeny, of the leader) is the easiest way to rally the troops(or cause). This happens all over the world. We, in India, ruled by the dynasty must know it more than anyone else.

Brutal methods were being employed by both sides, so trying to decide moral superiority of one side over the other is futile. If LTTE had won, they would have also initiated a purge.

The long-term solution, IMHO, is SL joining Indian union. People of SL can get fruits of Indian growth. Annexing state of Hyd is no more different from convincing the elite of SL to join India. If it can be done, then the fears of Tamils in SL will be automatically taken care of.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Cold blooded slaughter of even a surrendered fighter is unjust as per rules of Dharma Yuddha. At such, killing of a child is IMO brahma hathya, I saw some comments which possibly alluded to his being killed being OK as he might have been a fighter as well. For all the ridicule about Dharma on this forum, have we become so blind to so simple a Dharma?

Prabhakaran has led many children to their deaths as fighters, I can only imagine what he is reborn as. I am sure the same fate will await the butcher who had Prabhakaran's son killed as well.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Yogi_G wrote:Cold blooded slaughter of even a surrendered fighter is unjust as per rules of Dharma Yuddha. At such, killing of a child is IMO brahma hathya, I saw some comments which possibly alluded to his being killed being OK as he might have been a fighter as well. For all the ridicule about Dharma on this forum, have we become so blind to so simple a Dharma?

Prabhakaran has led many children to their deaths as fighters, I can only imagine what he is reborn as. I am sure the same fate will await the butcher who had Prabhakaran's son killed as well.

How many young ltte "fighters", aka child soldiers die because of prabhakaran's orders?

How many died using the cyanide capsules that they were ordered to use as a last resort??

Why did prabhakaran not use the cyanide capsule himself??

Why did he not order or encourage his son not use the cyanide capsule??

sauce for the goose was not sauce for the gander??

how was the great family taken alive?? like the countless numbers of child soldiers who obeyed prabhakaran's orders and sacrificed their lives rather than be taken alive why did the creep allow the lankan army to take him and his family alive??

given the life and death circumstances, would any army have allowed the kid or the family to live? Why is the GOI not returning afzal guru's body?? war is a bloody business. hind sight is always 20/20.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

why do we have to twist ourselves and invent reasons for justifying what SL did.

If a 12 year old is killed in a place that is not a battlefield, then it is murder, not war. No reason to justify murder.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

johneeG wrote:
Aditya_V wrote:I don't justify the shooting of a 12 year old. But given the Mentality of SL and need for sustaining LTTE especially in the West. They would have felt that Keeping B. Prabhakaran alive would come back to haunt them in less than a decade.

Dynasty(or descendents, particularly progeny, of the leader) is the easiest way to rally the troops(or cause). This happens all over the world. We, in India, ruled by the dynasty must know it more than anyone else.

Brutal methods were being employed by both sides, so trying to decide moral superiority of one side over the other is futile. If LTTE had won, they would have also initiated a purge.

The long-term solution, IMHO, is SL joining Indian union. People of SL can get fruits of Indian growth. Annexing state of Hyd is no more different from convincing the elite of SL to join India. If it can be done, then the fears of Tamils in SL will be automatically taken care of.

within SIX months a sinhala will become the PM of India :) . Their politicians are so cunning that our creeps are mere babes in the woods. Look at how easily the sinhala ran rings around rajiv gandhi.

sacrifice India for a few lankan tamils?? I think not.

Why are we so concerned about VP and his family?? Are brutally killed IPKF soldiers not worthy of our concern and support. Child or not, VP and the ltte was the enemy, lest we forget.

Why do many on the forum want other countries to join the "Indian Union", are we already not f@ck#d up enough?
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

There are many alternatives to killing the child in cold blood. I cant remember the names of the Indian princes of some kingdom taken to London and completely Anglicized and deracinated (culturally castrated). Prabhakaran was a rakshasa (no Dravidians being Rakshasas theories please) but democratic govts worldwide are expected to ensure that they dont pay back in the same coin.

By the same logic we should have ridden Kasab's body with a thousand bullets onlee, name one international orgn worth its salt and with some credence who has condemned Kasab's execution (non death penalty arguments apart) as a traversty of justice? FOrget eliminating any future resistance, they have created a martyr out of the young boy and his name will be used to prop up furture movements and fake leaders, worse, many will use the child's death as evidence of Sinhalese evil and bring up many more LTTEs.

As someone whose native place is in southernmost Tamil Nadu I also feel for the "People of Indian stock who speak Tamil" in SL (I am against calling them Tamils, for some Dravidian parties use it with an ulterior motive), not the LTTE. Neither do I have an ounce of respect or tolerance for the pseudo-human Sinhalese chauvinists who have brought immense damage to the religion of Buddhism, Buddha would have gawked with what these Sinhalese are today doing in SL.

You can read my thoughts on this in my blog post --> The Sri Lankan debate
It is often in the newspapers and in tv channels that you read or hear about the great Tamil-Sinhalese divide. People term it as such these 2 "people" were of different ethnicities. Reality Check! They are not. They are both from the same subcontinental stock! The Sinhalese are generally believed to have been the descendants of 2 different groups of migrants. The first came long long long back. These are the same people who had inhabited Lanka in the time of Ramayana. They were Dharmic in nature. These people were very much from the subcontinent. The second migration wave came after the beginning of Kaliyuga. It is said that an Indian price Vijaya and his followers brought Buddhism to Lanka and settled down there mixing and inter-marrying their already settled brethren there. Again they remained Dharmic, Buddhism dominating Lanka. It is now not difficult to see that the present day Sinhalese are part of the Indic race as are the so-called "Tamils". Now, here are two groups of people of the same Indic race, 2 Dharmic people, 2 long lost brothers sharing the same cultural heritage of the beautiful civilization of India and yet choose to bicker over petty differences all in the name of "ehtnicity". Ironic isn't it?

Some say it is the a clash of Sanatan Dharma with Buddhism. A theist religion versus an-almost atheist religion. What rubbish! India has always been a civilization where religions peacefully debated amongst themselves without violence. Remember Shri Adiguru Sankaracharya versus Shri Mandana Mishra? There was simply no room for violence in India over religion until the Abrahammic religions arrived. It is common knowledge that both Sanatan Dharma and Buddhism are the most peaceful of religions. For heaven's sake many people in South Korea refuse the draft as they say they cannot indulge in violence! So it can be seen that this arugument of Hinduism and Buddhism can also easily be dismissed.

So here is a clear message to the "Sinhalese" and "Tamils". Cut the crap! You are one people goddammit. You share a glorious history and culture which are 100% indigenous Indic! Stop the violence and cherish your common heritage. Indic civilization beckons both of you!
mraghu
BRFite

Post by mraghu »

It is really sad when kids are used as pawns to settle political/military scores. Yes, it was important to crush LTTE to ensure that it never raises its heads or arms again. But the means used ?? Not really sure if the sympathy for LTTE has been wiped, Because of this killing being in the news sympathy will increase again for VP and LTTE. I hope our intel agencies are probing deeply in South TN to check on the fire that has been lit
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Sri Lankans are Buddhist Pakis!
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

chetak wrote: given the life and death circumstances, would any army have allowed the kid or the family to live? Why is the GOI not returning afzal guru's body?? war is a bloody business. hind sight is always 20/20.
Let me ask you a very straight question. Are you saying if the Indian army were in the place of the Buddhist Paki SL army they would also have killed the child in cold blood?
Anand K
BRFite

Post by Anand K »

chetak wrote:Their politicians are so cunning that our creeps are mere babes in the woods. Look at how easily the sinhala ran rings around rajiv gandhi.
I always wondered how that wily old Jayawardene got the better of Dixit :shock: and Narayanan and other luminaries. He knew real good how Prabhakaran would react to a new gun in town.... Less said of Premadasa the better.

PS: Anyone remember Pathmarajah who used to post here? Dude was a slick Paki-like who made ol' PIyengar look like Raja Harishchandra. Was it the real penny I wonder? :?:
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

The British dealt with a similar situation in a different way. They simply took Maharaja Duleep Singh, the last Emperor of the Sikh Empire with them to Britain, anglicized him, converted to Christianity, and married him off to some European women. His 8 children died in controversial circumstances. And that was the end of it all!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Yogi_G wrote:
chetak wrote: given the life and death circumstances, would any army have allowed the kid or the family to live? Why is the GOI not returning afzal guru's body?? war is a bloody business. hind sight is always 20/20.
Let me ask you a very straight question. Are you saying if the Indian army were in the place of the Buddhist Paki SL army they would also have killed the child in cold blood?

let me give you a straight answer..............YES (IA or any other Army).
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

RajeshA wrote:The British dealt with a similar situation in a different way. They simply took Maharaja Duleep Singh, the last Emperor of the Sikh Empire with them to Britain, anglicized him, converted to Christianity, and married him off to some European women. His 8 children died in controversial circumstances. And that was the end of it all!

also known as the f@ck#d and far from home technique. :)
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Anand K wrote:
chetak wrote:Their politicians are so cunning that our creeps are mere babes in the woods. Look at how easily the sinhala ran rings around rajiv gandhi.
I always wondered how that wily old Jayawardene got the better of Dixit :shock: and Narayanan and other luminaries. He knew real good how Prabhakaran would react to a new gun in town.... Less said of Premadasa the better.

PS: Anyone remember Pathmarajah who used to post here? Dude was a slick Paki-like who made ol' PIyengar look like Raja Harishchandra. Was it the real penny I wonder? :?:

I have just returned from SL where I was was for three days.

The countryside is peaceful and progressive.

People are getting on with their lives without foreigners messing about with local politics and and pretending to broker peace whilst secretly raping them.

The sinhalese are ordinary well meaning folks, like in every country except pakiland.

The majority community has it's concerns very much like in India. foreigners are pushing for minority rights of tamils and muslims and christians. The majority jantha don't like the interference. So, what else in new??

Casualities in the war? yes, like any other war. Excesses ? sure, just like any other war. the ltte had never paid attention to the geneva convention, why does anyone expect the lankan army to do so?

The sinhalese were simply as brutal as they needed to be. the ltte were certainly no angels.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

They are among the very few in the world who have finished off a group as capable and well organised as the ltte.

At the end of it all...............ltte-0 and SL army-1.

Are there any here who wanted the ltte to win?? Dream on.

every one except the ltte got what they wanted. let the lankans go about rebuilding their country. Anyone want to research or recall how the amerikis butchered the red indians?? or the british butchered our Indians?? no?? I thought so.

Rajapakse has good support among the aam jantha. The army general is being seen as someone who moved too quickly without much thought. They feel that he should have waited, kept his powder dry and then when the time was ripe should have made his move. Dictatorial and foolish was the general opinion.

If wishes were horses......
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Sarath Fonsake change happened after the visit of his daughters in USA. One can see from that episode if your children in a foreign country how one can be manipulated to that country's interests
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

why do we have to twist ourselves and invent reasons for justifying what SL did.

If we have not been in that position we should not comment

Extrapolating the life and death struggle for Sri lanka

the IA would have 120000 dead at least - let alone the maiming and crippling which are multiples

It was a long brutal war where the LTTE did mayhem with suicide bombers
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Surya wrote:

If we have not been in that position we should not comment

Extrapolating the life and death struggle for Sri lanka

the IA would have 120000 dead at least - let alone the maiming and crippling which are multiples

It was a long brutal war where the LTTE did mayhem with suicide bombers
On the contrary we can and should comment.

If we were to follow your advice on commenting only if we've been in the same position, most of us would never find the moral ground to comment on most outrages.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I understand the terror camp angle.. but when a juvenile is unarmed and not dangerous, it is no human culture to shoot him. On the same note, why not shoot that juvenile who raped, murdered the dilli girl. why not just go about shooting any criminal gang members, and why do we need a legal system to check and balance, and bring human beings to a level playing field. There is a thing called JAIL. jail the kid if you can prove him to be a terrorist. imho, if you can shoot him, you can jail and nurture him to become a normal citizen away from being a terrorist.

What is happening in SL is not good. It has ever been, and will ever be. There is no democracy there, but we don't run a show that big a democracy to say, we do it better. It is a march towards treating others as human beings and not animals.

Imho, this boy was a civilian, and unarmed juvenile, no matter where his orientation is. No counter group, enemy or friend, can shoot down people like this., whether India, pakistan, SL or USA.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Yogi_G wrote:Sri Lankans are Buddhist Pakis!
This is a wrong analogies. Pakis hate the others.

The proper analogy if you want would be Sri Lankans are Buddhist Afghanis.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

If we were to follow your advice on commenting only if we've been in the same position, most of us would never find the moral ground to comment on most outrages.

Its easy claim to have morals - Arundhati claims she has much more of it than any of us on this forum. We are already deeply immoral according toher - especially the IA

so there is no pleasing the moralists

come back to me when the Maoists are one step from Lutyens, we have 200000 dead IA soldiers, and you cannot step anywhere in half a dozen states including lets say wB, AP and orissa, the coastlines of which can now have any paki, chinese etc ships drop by and do whatever they want
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

understand the terror camp angle.. but when a juvenile is unarmed and not dangerous, it is no human culture to shoot him.
Really and you think the progeny will turn out prahlads??

like the "Family" progeny who have none of the hunger for power and corruption etc

right!!!!!!
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Surya wrote:

Its easy claim to have morals - Arundhati claims she has much more of it than any of us on this forum. We are already deeply immoral according toher - especially the IA

so there is no pleasing the moralists

come back to me when the Maoists are one step from Lutyens, we have 200000 dead IA soldiers, and you cannot step anywhere in half a dozen states including lets say wB, AP and orissa, the coastlines of which can now have any paki, chinese etc ships drop by and do whatever they want
I do not understand how any part of your argument has anything to do with what seems to be the plain murder of a boy. Please elaborate if you will.

I do not see any faux claiming of morals, no equivalence with scenarios laid out with you.

A boy appears to be slaughtered in cold blood, if it indeed happened this is an indefensible act.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

So now we know the future.

And also since we never play professional cricket, we should have no business commenting about Sehwags shot selection.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

I do not understand how any part of your argument has anything to do with what seems to be the plain murder of a boy. Please elaborate if you will.
somewhere in this thread long ago someone else gave a more elegant answer

throughout history this is a normal occurrence

this is no ordinary boy just like his elder brother at one point was no ordinary boy

they would have all been groomed to carry the flag OR at be the puppet behind which someone else can carry it on

you do not see any moral equivalence and neither does arundhati - once you have your position -its locked in

Arundhati says we are an occupation army who massacre at will
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Surya wrote:
understand the terror camp angle.. but when a juvenile is unarmed and not dangerous, it is no human culture to shoot him.
Really and you think the progeny will turn out prahlads??

like the "Family" progeny who have none of the hunger for power and corruption etc

right!!!!!!

Take our own yuvraj.

does he not harbour the ambition of becoming "the leader"?? just because papa and grandma and great grand pa were alleged leaders?

so it would have been with balachandran (what a funny name for a xtian kid).

ability and capability be damned.

just as kangress minions are clamouring for yuvraj to clamber on to the gaddi there would have been many eminence grise ltte clowns who would have propped up balachandran as "the leader"

The full stop applied by the GOSL was for the best.

SL aam jantha would have had no choice in the matter just as we do not have in the case of the yuvraj.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Surya wrote:
somewhere in this thread long ago someone else gave a more elegant answer

throughout history this is a normal occurrence

this is no ordinary boy just like his elder brother at one point was no ordinary boy

they would have all been groomed to carry the flag OR at be the puppet behind which someone else can carry it on
I disagree with your line of thinking.

Just because it has been done in history, I am expected to accept a boy's murder?

How about genocide, it's a regular occurrence in history, should I accept that as well when it happens?

What about rape?
Surya wrote:you do not see any moral equivalence and neither does arundhati - once you have your position -its locked in

Arundhati says we are an occupation army who massacre at will
I'm not sure whether you're doing an == on me with Ms Roy. I will say that she has nothing to do with this argument, her opinions on IA even less.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Chetak has summed up the true situ very eloquently and accurately and with an enviable economy of words.As he so well put it,nowhere has a major global terrorist organisation (the world's most vicious terror outfit at that,which had an army, a navy and a fledgling air force too,apart from a lethal squad of suicide bombers who invented the bomb belt and many other lethal assassination techniques including the pregnant bomber ) been exterminated to the last man.Full stop.Clean slate.Safe state.
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

^^ Here's an equivalent economy of words: A boy seems to have been murdered, and people are justifying it.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

assuming it was the GOSL
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

A boy seems to have been murdered, and people are justifying it.
you should have come in when lots of boys were being murdered in the last 2 decades by the clan
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Surya wrote:
A boy seems to have been murdered, and people are justifying it.
you should have come in when lots of boys were being murdered in the last 2 decades by the clan
Yeah that old debating line: where were you when....

How about you, Suryaji, were you there when Stalin was murdering his people in the 1930s?

Where I was, where you were is irrelevant to what seems to be the slaughter of a boy.
Last edited by Baikul on 21 Feb 2013 00:11, edited 2 times in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Surya wrote:
assuming it was the GOSL
The only other interested party that would have been greatly benefitted would have been the GOI. Take your pick. :lol:
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

ow about you, Suryaji, were you there when Stalin was murdering his people in the 1930s?
and on that note we bid good bye
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Baikul wrote:^^ Here's an equivalent economy of words: A boy seems to have been murdered, and people are justifying it.

The GOI had actively blocked all the sea escape routes of the rats and GOI +GOSL did not relent inspite of the very great pressure from all the western governments like US,UK France, Germany and all the other crooks who now portray themselves as angels and are currently raking the muck for the GOSL, to let VP escape.

There were impassioned pleas for VP's life starting with the vatican and covering all governments in europe that was inexplicable and was very rightly was ignored by both the governments.

na rahegi bas na bhajegi bansuri, no?

Get real mate, countries don't worry too much about the odd life here and there. The supreme national interest is always the primary driver. Unfortunate for dead of course. Tough shit. Why don't the amrekis or the brits and lately the french get asked questions about the lives that they have wantonly taken??

Or will you bully only tiny Srilanka?? Budhist Srilanka?? asian Srilanka?? brown skinned Srilanka?? All others are exempt?? :evil: