Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

Post by Gerard »

old thread here
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

Post by Gerard »

putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

DNA test confirms Prabhakaran's death

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/a ... ers_death/
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka—Sri Lanka's military said Thursday it has proved conclusively through DNA testing that Tamil Tiger chief Velupillai Prabhakaran was killed last week, after supporters refused to believe a government video showing the leader's dead body.
Will this put to rest the rumours of VPs death?
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

thusitha wrote: Will this put to rest the rumours of VPs death?
Even the LTTE accepted the death and hence VP is not Elvis Presley.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Excellent message by Shri Rajapakshe.

http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/may/ ... apakse.htm
The India-Lanka accord led to the 13th amendment to the Sri Lankan constitution. In that way the homegrown approach covers the position of India, too. This time, a political solution will be devised after taking every shade of Sri Lankan opinion into consideration,' Rajapaksa told The Week in an interview.
'I think my war is part of the South Asian campaign against terrorism. In fact, by eliminating the LTTE militarily, I have fought India's war.'
Asked whether he wants to build bridges with politicians in Tamil Nadu, he said he was congratulated by many politicians in Tamil Nadu after the war.

'Look at the fate of LTTE supporters in Tamil Nadu in the elections. All those who supported the Tigers have been routed. The people of Tamil Nadu have given these terror supporters a fitting reply,' he said.
The SL friends on the forum might want to check out the comments on the article too. Barring one-two cuckoos, the comments clearly bring out how ALL Indians are keen to see SL happy & prosperous where all people live in harmony and equality.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Very true.As they say,the silence of the Tamilnadu Eelamists after their electoral losses and the "final solution" of the LTTE is truly "deafening"!

The major reason for this silence is that a combined rescue force of TN politicos,who hoped to twist the GOI into intervening as Rajiv did when JRJ was about to launch his opffensive into the Jaffna region,by his airdrop of food,and the western powers who desperately wanted Prabhakaran to survive so that they could retain their dying influence in the island,expected the GOSL and pres. Rajapakse to cave in after intense diplomatic pressure was put upon him,threats to strangle SL economically,plus even open threats to arrest his brother (holding a US passport) the defence sec. for "war crimes".Nothing worked.Rajapakse showed his true southern native cunning and balls and told Milli-Bond and the O-Team where they could get off,refusing to take their constant calls and travelling to Jordan.The LTTE were supposed to "surrender" to a "third party" from where they could be whisked off to safety to a country that would give them asylum and from where they could carry on their diabolic doings.He has now is at the apex of his popularity and has also earned a huge fan club in India,even in TN for utterly destroying the LTTE and sending Prabhakaran to his deserved inglorious end.His victory in the UN too,where the west tried their best to fix SL for alleged "war crimes" failed miserably when the SAARC nations stood by Lanka and defeated the motion.Instead a motion praising Lanka for ending terrorism was adopted and condemned the LTTE for using human shields.

However,the west is still smarting as can be judged from this report alleging that "20,000" civilians (from where did they pick that number-LTTE net?) were "massacred".That's very strong language without a shred of proof and I would suggest that the GOSL seriously consider banning the paper's journos from the island.Suing them would only give them the oxygen of publicity and drag on the allegations to the advantage of the LTTE.I went into the video link and saw nothing that indicated a "massacre".While not denying that there was considerable loss of innocent life in the final stages of the war,it was because Prabhakaran and the LTTE cowardly used their own people as human shields.In fact this war was different from the manner in which lakhs of Iraqis were slaughtered without any attempt to save them,for instance at Fallujah.Civilians were deliberately targeted by US and their allies as revenge for insurgents killing US troops.We saw over 100,000 Tamil civilians flee from the clutches of the LTTE just before the end.The GOSL and its armed forces did make an effort to minimise civilian casualties and even at the end,when the western press was predicting a "bloodbath" of 50,000 lives,there was not even a squeak from the western press when the final moment came and the civilians walked free!
What the events in Lanka have clearly shown and why the west is so enraged is that a huge difference in approach to defeating terrorism has emerged between the so-called "Turd World" and the first.Let's take a closer look.

A small nation with limited military funding and resources ends a 25+ yr. old ethnic war despite the odds being stacked against them from what even the west called "the world's most ruthless terrorist outfit".The outfit who developed the suicide belt and bomber,pregnant women too,stealth suicide boats which was used by Al Q in a copycat attack against the US warship the USN Cole in Yemen,assassinations of more top political leaders than all the world's other terrorist groups put together in he last two decades.In comparison,the US has neither defeated Al Q in Afghanistan,whose leader is still wanted "dead or alive" and where the US and its allies are on the backfoot in "orderly retreat " form the Taliban,and in Iraq where despite bribing the Iraqi insurgents with billions,they still haven't been able to withdraw their forces.The west desperately wants the full horrors of Abu Ghraib to never come out as it will infuriate the globe especially the Muslim world.It therefore has to find a small scapegoat.Envious of Lanka's success in contrast to its own looming defeat it picked on the island nation as an example.Unfortunately,Sri Lanka has many friends including India,Russia and China-not to mention all the South Asian states.having lost at the Un,it is still trying to throw as much mud as possible in the hope that much of it will stick.

Times Report:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 383449.ece
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

KP's agent caught.

http://www.island.lk/2009/05/29/news1.html
KP’s local agent arrested at IDP campby Sirimevan Kasturiarachi
The local agent of the LTTE’s notorious international arms dealer Kumaran Pathmanadan, aka KP, was arrested by Army intelligence yesterday at a welfare camp in Vavuniya.

Army sources said that the man Identified as Urumaran, was well educated and KP’s direct contact in the supply of weapons to the LTTE.

Initial investigations had revealed that he was fluent in English and some other European languages. He had travelled abroad on nineteen occasions.

He had joined the civilians and reached a welfare camp in Vavuniya but someone who knew about him had tipped off Army intelligence yesterday morning. On being questioned Urumaran had admitted that he was the local handler of arms and ammunition that came to the LTTE from abroad mainly on sea going vessels.

Once these arms vessels reached Sri Lankan waters Urumaran was the one who directed them where and when to unload the weapons. Investigations also revealed that he had been in constant touch with KP even after arriving at the welfare centre, Army sources said.

The investigations were at the initial stage even by late afternoon yesterday and they believe the whereabouts of KP could be traced by questioning and monitoring the telephone calls he received on his satellite phone.

Further details were not available at the time of going to press.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

The hidden massacre: Sri Lanka’s final offensive against Tamil Tigers
Picture/video inside.
More than 20,000 Tamil civilians were killed in the final throes of the Sri Lankan civil war, most as a result of government shelling, an investigation by The Times has revealed.

The number of casualties is three times the official figure.

The Sri Lankan authorities have insisted that their forces stopped using heavy weapons on April 27 and observed the no-fire zone where 100,000 Tamil men, women and children were sheltering. They have blamed all civilian casualties on Tamil Tiger rebels concealed among the civilians.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

SwamyG
The hidden massacre: Sri Lanka’s final offensive against Tamil Tigers
Picture/video inside.
Quote:
More than 20,000 Tamil civilians were killed in the final throes of the Sri Lankan civil war, most as a result of government shelling, an investigation by The Times has revealed.
I am surprised they are quoting only 20,000. I think in few weeks time, this will keep on going up till around 150,000. The journalist have no more stories to write on SL. Therefore they need to keep on the tension going. Who wants to loose their jobs during the the Recession period.

The other thing that surprises me is this time round TamilNet is quoting timesonline article. Normally this is the other way round. I think Tamilnet is tired of generating random numbers now. Now TimesOnline have taken up that job.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The LTTE has paid off scores of western journalists,politicians and others across Europe,Asia and America.having lost the war on the battlefield,the Eelamists are trying to win the propaganda war,which I've always maintained is as important as winning the war on the ground.A Napoleon famously said,"History is a fable which we are all agreed upon".The report below shows that the truth is often quite different from TamilNet or the Times.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2009/05/29/news02.asp
IDP centre conditions good and impressive - US Congress delegates

The US Congress delegation said they saw the standards of relief villages where the Internally Displaced are accommodated are good and impressive, and of a much higher standard than described by some media.

They said so, after meeting President Mahinda Rajapaksa at Temple Trees yesterday.

The delegation led by Congressman Heath Shuler (Democrat - North Carolina) that arrived in Sri Lanka on May 26 went on an observation tour of the relief centres where civilians liberated from the LTTE are being accommodated. During the meeting with the President, the Congress delegates discussed the possibility of providing assistance for the IDPs, and said the United States is committed to help Sri Lanka in such areas.

The President explained to them the need for de-mining of the areas that have been extensively mined by the LTTE as a matter of priority, and the provision of infrastructure facilities before re-settling the civilians.

The US delegation also discussed programs being carried out by the Northern Development Task Force to re-settle the displaced within a short period, such as 180 days, and also about the development processes to be initiated in the area to expedite the setting up of an environment suitable for livelihood development of the resettled people.
PS:I'm sure that we'll soon see attempts by the US to send "counsellors" to the affected civilian,as they did in the aftermath of the tsunami! Lankans be warned.

PPS:The new US ambassador to Lanka,Patricia A. Butenis, is a veteran of hotspots,having been ambassador to Bangladesh,the Charge d'Affaires of the U.S. Embassy in Iraq.She has also served in Pak and India in the '80s and she attended the National War College (1993-94) too.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Phillip ji, there is an element of truth in the Times report. I have friends with very good contacts inside the SLA. There is a dilemna the SLA faced. There are large elements that want a new start, and for that they think slaughter of innocents is Ok. And i have encountered people from SL who have said so very very casually. They feel there are a generation of Tamil youth that have only been taught to kill and rehabilitation is not possible. Also soldiers have been inducted without proper psychological training and lack experience. There has been plenty of looting too in the North East. The SL economy is in the dumps. Rajapaksa wants to be a leader for a long time and he possibly will get that mandate. This is not an easy situation, and some pressure has to be maintained on the GOSL.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Also soldiers have been inducted without proper psychological training and lack experience.
This is true, Srilanka ramped up their military significantly faster for a nation of its size, so I dont think psychological training will get any importance when compared to war fighting.
] There has been plenty of looting too in the North East.
Then it means the soldiers are from a very desperate background. The north and east were already empty, what else can you loot from them? Dress and grains?
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

thusitha wrote: I am surprised they are quoting only 20,000. I think in few weeks time, this will keep on going up till around 150,000.
Both the govt and Tamilnet are culprits, what was the initial number of civilians with LTTE quoted by the govt when they announced NFZ? And what was the final number?
The journalist have no more stories to write on SL. Therefore they need to keep on the tension going. Who wants to loose their jobs during the the Recession period.
Come on, SLA committed gross violations, the nature of war was like that, ignore it on your own peril.

The Govt has been tight lipped for the last 2-3 years and it had a tight lid on the news by intimidation. But now the war is over, journos are not going to keep quiet. The govt has already won the military and international PR war.
The other thing that surprises me is this time round TamilNet is quoting timesonline article. Normally this is the other way round. I think Tamilnet is tired of generating random numbers now. Now TimesOnline have taken up that job.
Tamilnet always quotes other newspapers if it suits them.
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

Javee wrote:
Also soldiers have been inducted without proper psychological training and lack experience.
This is true, Srilanka ramped up their military significantly faster for a nation of its size, so I dont think psychological training will get any importance when compared to war fighting.
] There has been plenty of looting too in the North East.
Then it means the soldiers are from a very desperate background. The north and east were already empty, what else can you loot from them? Dress and grains?
Mangalsutras(the sacred thread that is worn by a married lady), yes they are the costliest possessions of any family even if they are poor. and as u might know it gold is easily convertable to money anywhere in the world.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

harbans
There are large elements that want a new start, and for that they think slaughter of innocents is Ok. And i have encountered people from SL who have said so very very casually.
Mate, go to a Sri Lankan forum. Ask the question and see what the response is. No one in Sri Lanka condones killing of innocent Civilians (There is always a few people who would say that). If the majority view is this you would have seen large masacres happening in Sri Lanka. After 83, no such thing happened even when there were huge amount of provocations by LTTE. If this happened it would have been published by TamilNet.

What happened in Vanni happens every where in the world. Innocent people die in Wars. Then after that there is lot of Propaganda.
If you go to some Tamil forums, they would say similar things about IPKF. They say the IPKF robbed, killed lot of Innocent people. They raped women, not only that they raped grandmothers e.t.c. e.t.c. e.t.c. Every army in the world will get accused of this when ever there is a war. And there is always some element of truth in it. No army is guilt free.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Ahhh....once again well done; getting tamilians vs IPKF type of argument back into circulation. Man, you are good. You know harbans was in SL and you bring in IPKF and some accusations. Perfect. You guys never rest, do you?
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

SwamyG
Ahhh....once again well done; getting tamilians vs IPKF type of argument back into circulation. Man, you are good. You know harbans was in SL and you bring in IPKF and some accusations. Perfect. You guys never rest, do you?
The main point of the comment was, Sri Lankans do not condone Civilian killing.

Man, I can't write anything with out you guys crying of something. If I am in a Chinese Forum, I would use examples of China, If I am talking with an American, I would use examples of America. I am not sure why you guys don't understand that.

If you want it so much I will remove IPKF from there and let replace it by U.S. army in Iraq. Same stuff. The Iraqis would say the same thing. Look what U.S. has to say about U.K newspaper reports of war crimes:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/ma ... tish-media

The second point is there is always some one accusing the military of various crimes.
Anabhaya
BRFite

Post by Anabhaya »

This, as I was myselves told before, is a pointless discussion. Rajpakse is coming to New Delhi very soon. Thusitha - what is he bringing with him?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Anabhaya wrote:. Rajpakse is coming to New Delhi very soon. Thusitha - what is he bringing with him?
Death certificate of VP :)
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

Anabhaya
Thusitha - what is he bringing with him?
He is planning to visit India next month to personally thank Indian leaders for their support and to discuss plans for relief, rehabilitation and reconstruction in the civil war-ravaged northern and eastern provinces.

From defence.lk website.
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa says he has "fought India's war" too by militarily eliminating the LTTE, which had assassinated former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi 18 years ago.

In an interview to Indian newsmagazine "The Week" published in its latest issue, President Rajapaksa says: "I think my war is part of the South Asian campaign against terrorism. In fact, by eliminating the LTTE militarily, I have fought India's war."

The President commended Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, ruling Congress Party President Sonia Gandhi and the Indian people for the support extended to Sri Lanka during the war.

"Nothing is more important for me than what India thinks," he declared.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

'LTTE fall will alter drug trade in India'
Mumbai was a key link in this supply chain as LTTE's conduits often used the city to bring in drugs from Mandsaur district of Madhya Pradesh, and the Rajasthan and Punjab border. The consignments were then transported to coastal towns in Tamil Nadu such as Tuticorin, Rameshwaram, Ramnad, Nagapattinam, Kochi and a host of localities inhabited by fishing communities on the south-east coast. From there, the drugs would be shipped to Velvettiturai, a township located along the northern coast of Sri Lanka and formerly under LTTE control.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

SwamyG wrote:Ahhh....once again well done; getting tamilians vs IPKF type of argument back into circulation. Man, you are good. You know harbans was in SL and you bring in IPKF and some accusations. Perfect. You guys never rest, do you?

The fact is that they do say these things, and they need to apologize for saying them. I know a lot more Eelamists than you do, living here in Toronto. They repeat these lies all the time. It may not bother you to see the Indian Army slandered, but it certainly bothers me.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Dnirody
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dnirody »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ma ... mil-tigers

'I'm only 16. They gave me a rifle. It was heavy. They said we had to go forward. If we came back, they would shoot us'

Now to wait for a Times of London article calling THIS story a falsehood.
Last edited by Gerard on 31 May 2009 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please include title for URL
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

**Must Watch**
Video : Walk the Talk : SL President Mahinda Rajapakse..
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Tilak wrote:**Must Watch**
Fantastic. This is the first time I heard Mahinda Rajapakse. SL is having a deserving leader and kudos to all SLs.

There is a great oppurtunity for SL to grow economically and put the bloody past away. In the coming future, I hope they become wealthy and bring all the advantges that Malaysia, Singapore and Hongkong have, instead of wasting the energy on un-necessary power politics that the smaller countires like Pakistan/Bangladesh try to compete with their bigger neighbour.

He is having direct relations to Tamils and he is really talking about unity of all and hence he needs to be supported to help him keep his words.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Any tangible news on dear old pottu aman?

Seems to have vanished off the face of the earth, leaving neither hide nor hair for a DNA test.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Looks like we will have an Elvis after all....

Lanka army probing Pottu Amman's death
Unable to retrieve the body of LTTE intelligence chief Pottu Amman from the war zone, the Sri Lankan army is still investigating the possibility that he may be alive despite several claims to the contrary.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Tilak wrote:**Must Watch**

I don't like Shekhar Gupta's style of "journalism" -- he was too interested in stating his own opinions, than in letting us hear Rajapakse's. Was it an interview with Rajapakse to hear his opinions, or was it a platform for Shekhar Gupta to air his own views? The quality of Indian journalism unfortunately makes itself known.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Now there's an attempt to smear India by making allegations against India:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 401557.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 382331.ece
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Why blame the TImes when men like Ashok Mehta give such statements???

:(
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

chetak wrote:Any tangible news on dear old pottu aman?
Old pal Pottu seems to have gone missing. Even SL Army and Govt., do not have any information regarding him or his death. He seems to be the most elusive chap in the LTTE cadre. But with most of the LTTE now wiped out, I don't think good old Pottu can try his tricks any more. I hope they soon get Kumaran Pathamanabhan (or what ever current name he uses) as well.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

Sachin
Old pal Pottu seems to have gone missing. Even SL Army and Govt., do not have any information regarding him or his death. He seems to be the most elusive chap in the LTTE cadre. But with most of the LTTE now wiped out, I don't think good old Pottu can try his tricks any more. I hope they soon get Kumaran Pathamanabhan (or what ever current name he uses) as well.
Don't think Pottu has escaped. If that is the case, SLA would be bit worried. But I don't see that sort of Panic in the army. Most likely scenario is either he is dead or is captured and being questioned.
Raju

Post by Raju »

If he had a few active grey cells which I suspect he has, unlike Prabhakaran's collapsed and decaying ones, he would have had the better judgement to sense the impending fall and found ways and means to be slightly ahead of the mob giving the excuse that he would be clearing their way of something.
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

It is good that Retd Gen Mehta talks his mind.
If any Sri Lankan chauvinist Budhi(st) reads, he will understand to what lengths India went to protect SL territorialy integrity.

Each in his own way serves the ....

In MI, NJ, OH PA some of the SL Tamil owned Indian restaurants have already changed hands (i.e. Ownerships)

Toronto has huge street where everything is owned by SL tamils IIRC