Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

Post by Prem »

Gerard wrote:They need to go to Nevada and investigate claims that Prabakaran is working in a whorehouse or performing incognito in Las Vegas
Hey, what happen there stay there , last week i saw him at Venetian taking Gondola ride.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Recent interview of Varadaraja Perumal, ERPLF leader and Chief Minister of the North-Eastern province during the IPKF period.

http://www.eprlfnet.com/naba/wordpress/?p=354
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

BTW, the UTHR, far from being an LTTE mouthpiece, has been a prime target of the LTTE over the years for being one of the few voices in Jaffna speaking out against the LTTE's atrocities and its suppression of all non-LTTE voices.

This latest statement of its against the deportation of Bob Rae is worth a read. It will be obvious just in reading this that they are no apologists for the LTTE.

http://www.uthr.org/Statements/StatementBobRae.htm
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Sure Sure

You guys amaze me.

This motley lot had a certain Dr Rajani Thiranagama - This wonderful lady led hartals against IPKF for all sorts of things on behalf of the LTTE.

Yes all those little dharnas and then a little grenade is chucked at you or a couple of shots fired. Poor troops cannot fire back and a couple of troopers are dead. Sure you guys forgot all that.

She was a DARN member of the LTTE or affiliated to it - during the IPKF days

You name the atrocity and this woman and the group accused the IPKF of it. I think she also wrote a book with reams of crap.

Of course once the LTTE ran out of use for her it shot her. Aaahh such lovely justice

WHo knows how many members have links.

So lets get over this nonsense.

If you believe all that crap then you also should believe all the stuff against IPKF.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

First of all, bringing up somebody who died about 20 years ago will merely muddy the waters. Yes, she was a member of the LTTE at one point (after 1983) but had renounced it subsequently when she got disillusioned with its tactics. She was a member of the LTTE incidentally when it was openly courted by India and militarily supported by us. Secondly, if you actually read her book, "Broken Palmyra", it would be obvious that she is not holding any brief for the LTTE. She is critical of certain actions of the IPKF, but then also acknowledges the reasons for those actions. She is on the whole critical of the political and military leadership for putting the IA soldiers in a difficult position, without the necessary prior preparation or proper understanding of the ground situation. She also acknowledges the difficulty for the IPKF in differentiating between LTTE cadre and ordinary civilians because of the use of civilian human shields and also the use of women and children by the LTTE. While she provides some justification for the IPKF's actions that she disagrees with, she does nothing of the sort for the LTTE's actions. On the whole, a reading of the book suggests that she has contempt for the LTTE. With the IPKF and India in general, one senses her disappointment due to its failure to live up to expectations, rather than contempt or loathing.

In short, this is not as simplistic as you have portrayed. In any case, one need not agree with any of Rajani Thiranagama's views or her organization's views in order to see the obvious - that it is no mouthpiece for the LTTE.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

The point that the example of Rajani illustrates is that the group has and probably still harbors people who are pro LTTE.

and if they could indulge in vicious character assasination of the IPKF - accusing it of shooting people in hospitals etc. etc . They are capable of anything

Maybe it does not bother you what the IPKF went through but if you want to believe the crap that the group peddles now then you have to also believe the crap they peddled about the IPKF.

Essentially you seem to agree with that by quoting how she tried later in her book to balance it. And all the
"balancing" (when she realised that the IPKF was going to leave and the her beloved LTTE was going to be in charge again) she tried later to explain DID NOT EVER have a recant of all the earlier accusations - running amok in hospital - a particularly galling accusation - when so many IPKF men were gunned down from inside hospitals and temples.

So just because later she realised what the LTTE was really about does not absolve her of the vicious campaign she ran ON BEHALF of the LTTE. She got her just desserts.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

http://www.hotklix.com/link/news/world/ ... ing-killed
Prabhakaran tortured before being killed
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

LTTE supporters claimed at the time that she was running a campaign ON BEHALF OF India and the IPKF. She does not indiscriminately accuse the IPKF of bad things. Surely in the fog of war, bad things happen. They do not demonstrate any systematic malintent - they happen because it is in nature of wars. The Americans use the term "collateral damage". And she did not even accuse the IPKF of that. For instance, a quote from her book,
One has to concede to the credit of the Indians, that neither heavy artillery nor the more lethal fragmenting shells favoured by the Sri Lankan Army was used and heavy bombing was not resorted to.
Her main point was that by not prosecuting the bad elements (which are there in every army, and particularly come to the fore at the time of war), and by not adapting policies to ground realities, India was doing itself disservice. She points to India as "our spiritual home"
What we are saying is that India, which is rightly critical of the evils in Israel and of white racism in Africa, and has itself experienced these evils at first hand, should not merely have formally enforced the laws enshrining centuries of human wisdom; but should also have displayed greater respect for their content.

It is left for Indians to decide whether they wish to be faithful to the ideals of their independence struggle. We can only wish them well, not least because we cannot afford turmoil in our big neighbour and to a large extent our spiritual home. This requires a reassessment of moral priorities.
She was certainly not a cheerleader of the IPKF or even of India. And she had views of the Indian role that many of us will disagree with. It does NOT however make her an LTTE supporter. She was clearly not an LTTE supporter at the time the IPKF was operating there - in fact, her books suggests she was a greater opponent of the LTTE than the IPKF. If the fact that she was an LTTE supporter before that time should be held against her, it would equally be held against India as a whole - after all we supported them too.

BTW, the book was not written at the time the IPKF was leaving. It was merely a compilation of a long series of articles written before that time, most of them in late 1987.

Enough said about her. The main point I am making is that the UTHR is not an LTTE mouthpiece. It does not make everything it says correct either. However, it should not be automatically dismissed as a one of the several terrorist-supporting NGOs that were part of the LTTE's elaborate propaganda machine.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Javee wrote:
Sanjay M wrote:I don't particularly mind if the entire bloodline of the mass-murdering thug is wiped out, as others would only try to resurrect his movement through his kids. Better that he has no heirs.
Your attitude is sickening and the your reasoning to kill a 12 yr old child is moronic.
No, it is your attitude which is sickening, as you don't seem to have noticed all the children 12 years and younger which the monster Prabhakaran has twisted and perverted by turning them into child soldiers. Ridiculous hypocrisy. The greater good is served by the Cult of Prabhakaran not being perpetuated or resurrected.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

I am amused here by the attitude of posts and posters here. Sure, Prabhakaran was evil and needed to be killed ruthlessly, even tortured without shedding a tear for all his adamance with the Indian babus and politicians over the ages, and his single-handed focus to rule the roost in SL much to the endangerment of the life and safety of Indian soldiers and Indians, in general. But what takes the cake is the jokes around his death. He died, for good measure for his actions which are unjustifiable, and as a consequences of his actions. He sure was evil incarnate, yes, from an Indic standpoint. Why joke around Vegas and Elvis? Is that necessary even as a point of argument, esp given that it is "normal" Indic custom to treat even the dead with some measure of respect, even if they have been evil incarnate during life, no?! If you have a point to make, why not make it in Anglais, a point as simple as the above could be made with less flowery language, no?! Surely, when an admin makes a trivial post, you only give it a free pass to the rest, right?!

Sure, this is bharat-rakshak forum etc, I love Indian soldiers and those who died for India. I respect them, I have read enough about IPKF and its exploits etc. I dont have to make every post chanting "ipkf, ipkf, ipkf, yindia, yindia, bharat mata ki jai ......", no?! Even still, but surely Indian strategic interests are far more than just the IPKF, no?! The point of my argument is that folks here talk as if they fought with the IPKF regiment in SL, having seen this and that, when from the content of the posts that are being made here, it seems like most of the folks here have not even read basic accounts of IPKF's exploits from the horse's mouth such as JND etc. I mean, it is one thing to posture based on third-hand information, and another to logically and coherently make an argument without prancing around making dumbass jokes and comments, no?!

There is cynicism of the LTTE's destruction, sure I can understand. Ruthlessly exterminating a 12 year old due to fears of resurrection, I can explain "logically", even if I can disagree with the act and call it a Bhagwad-Gita type act. Sure even Lord Krishna had to pay the price by being hunted by Jara, as a consequence of his actions. So what makes you guys forgive the consequences of actions of SLA and give it all a free pass cos Prabhakaran was evil incarnate?! I dont believe that SLA is absolutely dharmic, heck, I suspect every folk that exists (including myself) of being an oiseaule at some point or the other. There are good deeds and bad deeds from either side, we can debate the quantum of good vs. bad etc., but why make efforts to label a bad deed, as much as it was necessary, a bad deed?! I would call it selective blindness, all in the hypocrisy of rakshaking bharat, much of which I am personally cynical about cos I am sitting in the us and rakshak-ing India.

PS: Maybe narayanan-ji should also use his scissors-hands more liberally at posts that do not add any meaning or value to the object of concern of this thread, even if it comes from other admins, no?!
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

I don't get it, what is that irked you Mr.Stan, sir.?

- celebration post victory
- Prabhakaran's death.
- His 12 yr. old death
please, if it is convenient.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

1) Biases that do not seem to change with time conditioned on increasing information, which results in 2) a strange attitude in making a cogent point, surfeit with hypocritical/insensitive remarks, and 3) a perceived lack of moral compass disguised as rakshak-ing...

Overall, a generally cynical standpoint following the maxim:
"Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity." - Socrates, philosopher (469?-399 BCE).
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

Is it possible that he might have been tortured after killing?
After all Prez Bush said us never torture. But now people are fighting over the definition of torture, like we in BRF trying to define who is Elite? Who or what is nationalism /listic? While Raman and RAW gurus are calling us hindutva.

The world is very confusing place these days.
"Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity." - Socrates, philosopher (469?-399 BCE).
I think that is straight from Holy Gita and is definition of Stita Pragniya
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Stan Sir, we are humans onlee, the level of maturity you seek
in BRFites comes with age and experience. IMHO there is no need
to get upset sir. Thanks for your clarification.

Socrates seems to have read Gita from some where.
"Change is inevitable hence do not despair in adversity
or celebrate in victory" Lord Krishna in Gita.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Sanjay M wrote:The greater good is served by the Cult of Prabhakaran not being perpetuated or resurrected.
Hmmm... I have to agree with you here. By eliminating Prabhakaran and his close relatives SL Forces have taken away all chances for any vested interest to make claims that he is alive, and some how continue terrorism. Keeping aside concerns of torture, or how a 12 year old boy was killed the point is that there is no one in a strong position to bring back the LTTE.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Sanjay M wrote:
Javee wrote: quote=Sanjay M
I don't particularly mind if the entire bloodline of the mass-murdering thug is wiped out, as others would only try to resurrect his movement through his kids. Better that he has no heirs.
Your attitude is sickening and the your reasoning to kill a 12 yr old child is moronic. quote

No, it is your attitude which is sickening, as you don't seem to have noticed all the children 12 years and younger which the monster Prabhakaran has twisted and perverted by turning them into child soldiers. Ridiculous hypocrisy. The greater good is served by the Cult of Prabhakaran not being perpetuated or resurrected.
Sanjay ji,

Good point sir and one missed by many.

Sauce for the goose ............, even if the sauce is fatal.
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

GOSL is deliberately keeping quiet on VP family and also families of other LTTE top cadre. This shows clearly either they have slipped away overseas or killed by GOSL, whether in front of VP or not. If they have slipped away, GOSL should not have hesitated to say they are overseas, according to info. available to them. Their nonchalant silence on this shows something else.

I agree that killing a young boy, even son of VP is a horrible crime, a shame. GOSL could have not arrested him, nor let him go and become future VP nor extracted a promise from him to 'behave' and then let him go, as he was too young to offer such things. So they would have most likely asked the low level soldiers to do what they feel, and adopt 'not ask not tell' policy at higher levels. The soldiers, remembering all the butchery of LTTE, all the dead comrades they have seen in this and other wars, perhaps their own dead mothers, wives and sons from LTTE bombings, would have done what they did. But they cannot stop bragging, so things will come out, sooner or later.

Horrible as it is, faced with similar situations, many have done this in history. French revolutionaries, Russian commie revolutionaries, so many...
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

SanjayM,BRF Oldies,

We do not have a shred of evidence about what happened to Prabhakaran's son.But how can anyone exult over his 'execution'?In what way did the boy deserve 'that end'.

The SL issue is beyond me.But should we not be restrained now that Prabhakaran is no more?
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

wow Sridhar

INDIA to be blamed as much for the LTTE - wow

1. again the point was that if one LTTE member was part of UTHR than anything the group says now is suspect

The good Drs mellowing (book etc. ) occurred later as she realised the IPKF was leaving and LTTE was coming back

Not so when she led the accusations and rallies etc.

She was part and parcel of the intense LTTE psycological warfare which was the one area the IPKF struggled to deal with. Even your attempt to justify her accusations are false. In fact the IPKF lost a lot of soldiers because it did not even attempt to use firepower in the first few weeks - there was no question of collateral damage. If IPKF had done what it did at Chavakacheri it would havelost 1\10th of the men it lost.

Again the point that was made is that UTHR was made of people like her and now could have others with similar interests. So would give no credence to its nonsense
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

There are several similarities in the manner in which both the Fuhrer Adolf Hitler and the "petit" fuhrer Prabhakaran spent their last days.Both were trapped.Hitler in Berlin in his bunker.Prabhakaran also trapped in a small stretch of beach also in a beach-bunker dug by the pressganged Tamil civilians being used as slave labour.Hitler tried to stem the rot from the waves of advancing Russian troops by moving divisons to save Berlin that had ceased to exist!The few troops he had left were young German children.So also did Prabhakaran try and save his Eelam in similar fashion by sending in waves of child suicide bombers to try and stop the approaching tsunami of the Lankan army.Hitler was surrounded with his closest cronies in the bunker,so was Prabhakaran with his! Hitler hoped for a miracle and when he was told of Roosevelt's death was overjoyed.His astrologer he said had predicted that the tide would now turn.Prabhakaran similarly hoped for his "miracle",a win for the Eelamists in the Indian elections and Indian intervention.His cronies in Tamilnadu gave him a false picture.He expected intervention from the west,or the UN,or India,or Tamilnadu-why Millibond flew in to save him and "Bunkum" Moon sent his personal envoy.He was sure of being saved.So did Hitler.We know that when Hitler realised that the game was up he ranted and raved,cursing and blaming Goering,his useless generals etc,etc.,and the German people for not being strong enough for their impending defeat.Sadly,we have no survivors who could tell us of the last rantings and ravings of the fuhrer of Eelam.Only those abroad who communicated with him over the phone during his last days could tell us.

But there is one very important difference between the Fuhrer of the Third Reich and the fuhrer of Eelam,was that the real one had the courage to take his own life while the petit fuhrer-as Karuna said,was a coward- like a Tamil film cardboard cutout hero,forcing his cadre to swallow their cyanide capsules and the trapped Tamil civilians a free ticket to the next world,while he tried to escape.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Gentlemen this carping bout Herr Fuhrer 12 year old is getting on me nerves.

He was in war Zone no? and due the fact he was son,the least must have had gun totting
people around him,no?

Now, i am a SL soldier, is pretty shook-up by all the din and mess
of the battle field, i see some gun totting LTTEs, what i will do normally?
certainly not "yo boyo! how old are you? coz if you are underage i will not kill you"
normally i will empty my magazine first, then will have a look see around after my safety is
ascertained.

GOSL did a achieve a great victory, AFAIK they are the first ones to
rout a Terrorist force in a battle field.
whether they were tortured before/after death, yada, yada, blah blah, why care?
they are dead. The End.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

lol

join the club pratap.

Suddenly some in this crowd find dharma, morality, human rights :)
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

If the boy had been killed as collateral damage,that is part of war.

We are reacting to 'reports' that a 12 year old was killed in cold blood after surrender.
I am sure anyone can see the difference.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Surya wrote:INDIA to be blamed as much for the LTTE - wow
Only by your own twisted logic.
1. again the point was that if one LTTE member was part of UTHR than anything the group says now is suspect
One person who had been an LTTE member long before the UTHR was formed makes everything anybody from UTHR says 25 years later suspect!! Wow, must bow before your incredible logic!

The good Drs mellowing (book etc. ) occurred later as she realised the IPKF was leaving and LTTE was coming back
The contents of the book were written in late 1987 (it was a compilation of articles written at that time), when the IPKF operations were at their peak. Even the epilogue of the book was written at a time when there was no expectation of the departure of the IPKF. The book itself was published in April 1988. It was not until late 1989 that there was any expectation of the departure of the IPKF. Please read the book before making claims that cannot be sustained.
Even your attempt to justify her accusations are false. In fact the IPKF lost a lot of soldiers because it did not even attempt to use firepower in the first few weeks - there was no question of collateral damage. If IPKF had done what it did at Chavakacheri it would havelost 1\10th of the men it lost.
Either you cannot read and comprehend English or you want to deliberately twist words. Show me one instance where I tried to justify any of her accusations. As to collateral damage, the point was that she did not accuse the IPKF even of that. I showed the quote from the book that refers to the restrained actions of the IPKF relative to those of the SLA. The book in fact points to the fact that in several instances particularly in the early days, the IPKF went to great lengths to protect civilian life, even at the cost of its own lives. For instance, it refers to an incident where an IPKF patrol came under fire from inside a house adjacent to her own. The officer in charge made sure that all the civilians in the line of fire had time to rush to safety before returning the fire, in the process suffering casualties of their own.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

krishnapremi wrote:If the boy had been killed as collateral damage,that is part of war.

We are reacting to 'reports' that a 12 year old was killed in cold blood after surrender.
The point is not that this happened. The simple fact is that we don't know (we don't even know if the boy is dead or not).

The point is that there are people who are willing to justify it, are happy that this happened and would probably repeat it if given an opportunity. That is what is quite shocking.

Everybody I know is happy about the end of the LTTE and the death of Prabhakaran. I am willing to look the other way as to the circumstances of his death - he would have been executed in any case and an end one way or the other does not make a difference. But a 12 year old? Whoever he may be! Come on, folks.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Stan_Savljevic wrote:1) Biases that do not seem to change with time conditioned on increasing information, which results in 2) a strange attitude in making a cogent point, surfeit with hypocritical/insensitive remarks, and 3) a perceived lack of moral compass disguised as rakshak-ing...
In short....no dharmam.

Snow gaaru: I remember Cho Ramasway using that word and definition in one of his drama - Stita Pragniya. Beautiful words.
Last edited by SwamyG on 12 Jun 2009 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

There could be many more - I pointed to one of its most famous members - who was a member of the LTTE.

I never said all of UTHR - but I would not bother about listening to a group that also accused the IPKF of gunning down people in hospitals, rapes etc.

Regarding Rajani - I do not care about her later turn.

She led protests, accused and made life difficult for IPKF as part of the LTTE psy warfare - You cannot deny she did all this - her later mother theresa change not withstanding.

If she became mother Theresa after that - what do I care.

It was too late - the IPKF had most of its casualties in the initial period. Once it melted away to the jungles it was mostly IEDs and 1s and 2s.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

All this whining from UTHR about the 12 year old and human rights is warfare by other means against the SL state. Anyone concerned about human rights needs to focus on the internment camps, not invent atrocities in an attempt to portray Prabakaran as a martyr. What next? Asking the Pope or an Orthodox Bishop to beatify the family members? Tamil Romanovs?

Prabakaran is dead. The matter is ended. Those whining about the manner of his death are interested in revenge against the SL military who killed him. This is about the LTTE and their Eelam rubbish not the human rights of Tamils. All this whining about investigations and independent inquires. How about raising money for the IDPs? Why doesn't the UTHR do that?

Respect Prabakaran? Please. Having his rotting carcass on the TV doesn't qualify him for any respect. At least the SL government cremated the remains instead of leaving it for stray dogs to eat.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

He may be innocent, but he was not any 12 yo boy.

He was the sole surviving son of a man around whom a personality cult was created. He would have led the LTTE if his father was dead.

History shows that the innocent sons of kings are killed, or mysteriously disappear, when their fathers are slain.

That is the way the world is. That is what happens. It may be unpleasant. It may be immoral. But it is the fate of Princes.

The thin veneer of 20th century human rights cannot change that. Mustafa, 14 year old grandson of Saddam Hussein was killed along with the sons of Saddam, by American soldiers in the 21st century.
Who knows the real circumstances? What we know is that the male bloodline line was extinguished.

Machiavelli - The Prince - Chapter 18
Therefore it is unnecessary for a prince to have all the good qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always to observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and to be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

And you have to understand this, that a prince, especially a new one, cannot observe all those things for which men are esteemed, being often forced, in order to maintain the state, to act contrary to faith, friendship, humanity, and religion. Therefore it is necessary for him to have a mind ready to turn itself accordingly as the winds and variations of fortune force it, yet, as I have said above, not to diverge from the good if he can avoid doing so, but, if compelled, then to know how to set about it.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

SLA report that 3 attempts were made on Pres.Rajapakse's life earlier by the LTTE.

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Secti ... RTID=51791

Three attempts were made on President’s life: Army

President Mahinda Rajapaksa and his brother and Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa escaped “by a whisker” at least three assassination attempts by LTTE suicide squads, thanks to “tightened security arrangements”, said the Sri Lankan Army (SLA) on Friday.

In a report posted on its website, the Army said the information came to light in the course of a court inquiry into the Wellawatte (Tamil dominated area in Colombo) suicide bomber’s death.

The Army said state intelligence wings had unravelled several “intended terrorist bloodbaths”.

“The most recent arrest of an LTTE mastermind who has been operating with the support of several others in Colombo revealed that all three attempts made on the lives of President and Defence Secretary have failed by a whisker due to tightened security network,” it said.

The Army said information provided by an arrested Tiger, who had received special training in Kilinochchi for VIP assassination plans, led State Intelligence Service (SIS) to four LTTE suicide jackets hidden in the ceiling of a luxurious residential apartment in Wellawatte on May 14.

“As the SIS officers in the company of the said arrested terrorist surrounded the 7th floor of the residential complex, one more youth, an undergraduate in engineering in the Moratuwa University who was also to be arrested for his links with Tigers, suddenly ran and committed suicide by jumping off the building. The deceased was later identified as Thamodaram Pillai Sujindran,” said the Army.

It said investigations confirmed that the dead terrorist’s brother, who was now living in London, was one of the three owners of the Wellawatte residential complex. “Findings confirmed he is a hardcore LTTE operative who has been actively involved in the LTTE’s international network. SIS investigators later on took his sister, mother and three more youngsters studying in a private school into custody for interrogation.”

The first assassination attempt on the President, according to the arrested Tiger, was made while he was attending a passing-out parade at Diyatalawa military academy on December 20. A military officer who had been involved in the plan has also been arrested.

The second attempt was to be carried out when he was participating in the “Deyata Kirula” exhibition here on April 4. “The suicide bomber had sought permission to enter the premises in the company of the arrested military officer, but the senior police officer in charge of security did not allow them.”

The third attempt was of a “complex nature”. LTTE suicide bombers executed a suicide attack on a group of Ministers attending a Muslim religious function at Godakapitiya in Akuressa, Matara on March 10. “Tiger terrorists, presuming that President would be coming to see [the] hospitalised Ministers, dispatched a suicide cadre to the hospital premises, but the target did not meet its fruition”. (Hindu)

Forget about Katchativu,there may be afuture Indo-Lankan spat on seabed riches,when India makes its claim for extended exclusive economic rights.

Excerpt,from site which has maps.:
New Delhi: Even as the Indian general election was in full swing in May, India quietly staked a claim to nearly half a million square kilometres of seabed that contains potentially large reserves of oil, minerals, metals and gas hydrates, the Live Mint news agency reported yesterday. It said in the next few weeks, it was likely to vie for another half a million square kilometres, some of which may conflict with a similar claim made by Sri Lanka on the unmarked seabed.

“There could be some dispute with Sri Lanka. Primarily because some regions that Sri Lanka has claimed are simply over-ambitious. We can definitely prove them wrong,” a top government official involved in preparing India’s claim said.

The claims arise from an international, United Nations (UN)-facilitated agreement that allows a coastal country to stake a claim over the seabed that extends beyond its exclusive economic zone.

To do so, the country has to prove that the seabed is part of its continental shelf, defined as a continuous sloping chunk of rock that connects the seafloor and the mainland.

Currently, a country is allowed rights to mine waters within 200 nautical miles (322 km) of its coastline.

The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, as the agreement is called, allows nations to extend their claims to a maximum of 150 miles more.

On May 12, India staked a claim to large swathes of seabed under the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal, which a government scientist involved with the survey process pegged at “approximately 0.6 million sq. km of continental shelf”.

Though a perusal of maps indicating seabed area claimed by Pakistan and Sri Lanka does not indicate a conflict with India, it’s India’s second claim, expected later this month, that can fall foul of Sri Lanka.

That’s because some regions that India will claim includes portions already claimed by Sri Lanka.
http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Secti ... RTID=51763
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

krishnapremi wrote:If the boy had been killed as collateral damage,that is part of war.

A teenaged taliban kid suicide bomber was instrumental in the Jamia Naeemia attack in the land of the pure yesterday.

Prabharakan also sent countless such young tamil kids to their deaths to further his "cause".

He didn't seem too worried about their human rights or their cold blooded, calculated and premediated deaths.

Why the special concern for his son? or didn't you know about the child soldiers? or don't you care about other such hopeless and psychologically terrorised kids, forced to their deaths ?

Hot blood, cold blood, its all blood in the end. Nothing special about prabharakan's son's blood.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

People seem to forget the LTTEs sophisticated information warfare waged against the IPKF.

important parts of those were women, children and agencies of all hues. (will post a bit more later)

The LTTE may be militarily destroyed but its inf warfare wing may still be pretty intact

Yeah the IPKF fought with dharma and look where it got it against an adversary who did not care about any rulebook.
Muns
BRFite

Post by Muns »

Seems like this kid was guilty for just being born. Not a hope in hell for rehabilitation. As with King Kans we might even rationalize arguments for killing kids lest they grow up and possibly take over their fathers role.
Egad!
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Lets see one incident how the LTTE used info\psy warfare to hound the IPKF.
It was the one area they continually beat us because we were frankly simpletons at that point.

Lets take the incident which the infamous UTHR (and Mother Rajani) raised hue and cry for months
the incident at Jaffna hospital where it was claimed that IPKF troops stormed in and shot people indiscriminately.

As the battle of Jaffna progressed the LTTE was smart enough to know that inspite of having its hands tied, the IPKF
would win - so it started preparing for an exit strategy. IPKF officers believe the plan was as early as Oct 7, 87.

Note the LTTE leadership was still in Jaffna (big P, Mahathaya, Pottu) -

The HQ was moved in the vicinity of Jaffna hospital because the dharmic IPKF was not allowed
to fire on the hospital ie. it was a NO FIRE ZONE - (does that sound familiar??)

This was based on an intercept of a message on Oct 16th a message which also indicated 30 Indian troops were killed in the vicinity.

Interestingly IPKF officers WERE NOT ALLOWED access to the hospital exchange room by Jaffna civic officials even as late as Nov 87.(one excuse was the key could not be found) One wonders why??

Not only was the hospital used to shied the HQ but it also had VIP patients (either Pottu or P or both)
This was per Narayan Swamy who said the the IPKF was not aware that the one of the LTTE leadership was injured in the Jaffna univ
raid was shifted to nearby hospital. Jaffna hospital was the logical choice

Then on 21st Oct intercept from Mahattiya to move additional mortars to the hospital as it will be safe there. Meanwhile LTTE cadres continued to occupy the hospital
firing on IPKF troops, and eventually getting them to fire back.

The LTTEs last plan was a scorched earth retreat which would result in IPKF taking the blame. It was to the credit of the IPKF that it managed to prevent it

The LTTE radio intercepts at this time started the info warfare. Cadres were told to shed uniform and merge with doctors and nurses. Women and children were asked to now become "civilian" supply runners.
The intercepts noted wildly increasing numbers

The messages made many claims - it was 100 killed than 250 than went to 1000 which someone realised was too wild so pat came the reply to make it 130 of LTTE and 150 civilians and 9 nurses molested and 5 doctors killed.

then the stories of shelling, and troops storming and killing indiscriminately.

This was what the UTHR and other groups(church officials for one) which the LTTE has established relations went to town.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Surya wrote:Lets see one incident how the LTTE used info\psy warfare to hound the IPKF.
It was the one area they continually beat us because we were frankly simpletons at that point.

Lets take the incident which the infamous UTHR (and Mother Rajani) raised hue and cry for months
the incident at Jaffna hospital where it was claimed that IPKF troops stormed in and shot people indiscriminately.

As the battle of Jaffna progressed the LTTE was smart enough to know that inspite of having its hands tied, the IPKF
would win - so it started preparing for an exit strategy. IPKF officers believe the plan was as early as Oct 7, 87.

Note the LTTE leadership was still in Jaffna (big P, Mahathaya, Pottu) -

The HQ was moved in the vicinity of Jaffna hospital because the dharmic IPKF was not allowed
to fire on the hospital ie. it was a NO FIRE ZONE - (does that sound familiar??)

This was based on an intercept of a message on Oct 16th a message which also indicated 30 Indian troops were killed in the vicinity.

Interestingly IPKF officers WERE NOT ALLOWED access to the hospital exchange room by Jaffna civic officials even as late as Nov 87.(one excuse was the key could not be found) One wonders why??

Not only was the hospital used to shied the HQ but it also had VIP patients (either Pottu or P or both)
This was per Narayan Swamy who said the the IPKF was not aware that the one of the LTTE leadership was injured in the Jaffna univ
raid was shifted to nearby hospital. Jaffna hospital was the logical choice

Then on 21st Oct intercept from Mahattiya to move additional mortars to the hospital as it will be safe there. Meanwhile LTTE cadres continued to occupy the hospital
firing on IPKF troops, and eventually getting them to fire back.

The LTTEs last plan was a scorched earth retreat which would result in IPKF taking the blame. It was to the credit of the IPKF that it managed to prevent it

The LTTE radio intercepts at this time started the info warfare. Cadres were told to shed uniform and merge with doctors and nurses. Women and children were asked to now become "civilian" supply runners.
The intercepts noted wildly increasing numbers

The messages made many claims - it was 100 killed than 250 than went to 1000 which someone realised was too wild so pat came the reply to make it 130 of LTTE and 150 civilians and 9 nurses molested and 5 doctors killed.

then the stories of shelling, and troops storming and killing indiscriminately.

This was what the UTHR and other groups(church officials for one) which the LTTE has established relations went to town.
We are as clueless today as we were in those days. Mere babes in the woods in the face of a concerted media blitz because the Forces are not allowed to talk to the media. We have no capacity for media psy ops.
We continue doggedly in the karmanye vadhi ka raste.....

Our dharmic constraints continue even today in the north east and kashmir and the anti India rhetoric has evolved to an art form.

Learn from Israel, wade in and sort all the fcukers out. Let god separate the good from the bad when they all get there.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

If someone wants to create their own governments, just talk to KP.
It is easy as ABC.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8102207.stm
New government' for Tamil Tigers

Sri Lankan rebel group the Tamil Tigers say they are forming a "provisional transnational government" to pursue self-rule for the Tamil minority.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Xpost... Tiffin box bomb goes off in Madurai, cops find 10 more
http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/jun/ ... -found.htm
Will have to wait to see if its the Al-Umma-lite or LTTE-lite?! In any case, some horrible scenes in the offing... However Chindu says,
An official said such bombs are used in group clashes in South Tamil Nadu, including Tirunelveli and Ramanathapuram.
One injured in tiffin box bomb explosion in Madurai
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holn ... 161352.htm
Shirish
BRFite -Trainee

Another story

Post by Shirish »

Here is another story from some friends. They say they have a DANKless job, mixing some fiction into fact. :mrgreen:

Author Tim Greene wrote a novel called ‘Exact Revenge’ and ironically it seemed to give fiction to fact- many thousands of miles away from the jail setting that the first half of the novel is based out of.

According to the Indian Almanacs- the tithi for March 19th 2008 was ‘kaama dahanam,’ a day for washing away ideas of sins, deeds of sin, memories of sins- and purifying oneself to lead a clearer life ahead. Strange are people, and stranger could be their desires. What is carnal to one could be normal to another, and what could be a sin of the body- for one, could just as easily be the pining of the death of an enemy, to another. On this day, seeds of the Iluppai tree are crushed and the residue eaten as cake, and the oil burnt to sanctify the body… these ancient rituals seemed so right and apt for whatever was going to follow in the coming 14 months.

It was a warm Vellore afternoon when the gates of the Central Jail opened to allow the daughter to visit the last remaining member of the inner coterie of people; those who some 17 years ago had plotted and enacted the suicide bombing that killed her father.

For all the polite questions and familiarity shown by the two ladies, much to do with their exchange of letters and the personal intervention of the high priestess in commuting the death sentence, much of the conversation was documented in the media. For those in the close circle- one assumes the last question between them was

“Did Prabhakaran know about the plot?”

And to paraphrase Michael Corleone, the new young Godfather, a role so well played by Al Pacino, when he speaks to Carlo about Sonny’s death…

“Only don't tell me that he did not know. Because it insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry.”

Consistently over the past decade and some, the plotters and active role-players in the assassination attempt took the blame on themselves and the buck stopped with ‘one-eyed- Jack’ . No one mentioned VPs name, and the SIT in its concluding report could only poorly assume that he sanctioned the plan, and personally choose Sivarasan to carry out the act, given his earlier success in killing Padmanaba on Indian soil along with a number of his followers.

The Special Investigative Team that probed the assassination took petty relief in the transcripts provided by the Indian Intelligence Services from their various monitoring stations, and the only person above Sivarasan who could be assumed- to be in the know would have been Amman, the Head of the LTTE Intelligence Wing. And no further. Till that warm sticky afternoon in Vellore.

Our dashing young PM at the time, seemed to have run afoul of the Tamils in Sri Lanka, from the intervention by Units attached to the Para Brigade flying from Agra to Maldives and the handover of 17 senior LTTE comrades to the Sri Lankans, many of whom committed suicide immediately on handover, during the initial days of the IPKF deployment in northern Sri Lanka. Increasing fears of his re-election and the threat of the Indian Army wanting to avenge their mauling almost made it certain that Rajiv Gandhi was a clear and present danger to the dream of Eelam- at least in the way the LTTE thought they should create it.

Clearances from the hallowed 7RCR came to the MEA to clear the Sri Lankan government of doubts of Indian intervention in the conflict, and that this time around India would not interfere in the end-game of the conflict, and to the contrary we would ensure no one else would interfere either, only that we had the exclusive rights to the end of the LTTE supremo. The MoD with its Generals more focused on grabbing gubernatorial appointments post retirement was more than willing to toe the line, not even bothering to activating its Independent Mechanised Divisions to possible deployment in Sri Lanka. Whatever our nations agenda, the Mech Div (I) should have been alerted so as not to make this a display of wanton revenge. Maybe we will learn military finesse from this episode, possibly for any future use against a newer enemy. The soon-to-be outgoing Navy Chief, much to his credit, promptly put his Fleet out to sail, under the garb of wanting to ‘closely monitor the situation,’ ensuring a blockade of the so-called LTTE Navy from taking its fight or fleeing into the waters. One should closely follow his post-retirement plans to see how well he executed his last Operation as the CNS.

The slow and steady assault on the LTTE started in earnest, around the time that the General Elections of 2009 were announced and the politicians being the animals they are, concentrated on securing their futures without as much time to pay attention to the ‘possible atrocities’ that the Sri Lankan Army was inflicting on the Tamils of their country.

The inhabitants of 7RCR and their ancestors had ‘overseen’ many such ‘atrocities,’ from the drowning the naxalites in the Sunderbans of West Bengal to ruthlessly crushing the Khalistani movement in the swamps around Tarn Tarn and now almost to the daily casualties from the northern state of J&K- both of uniformed men, locals, terrorists- both home grown and those coming in as exports from the neighbors in the West. Grim silence was maintained on the successes of the SLA against the LTTE, and political campaigning went on as usual, and the pro-Tamil ruckus that the local political parties like the DMK and others- was surreal in its absence. Possibly the carrot of being taken in to the new government coalition, the promise of cabinet berths, and whatever else can be used to buy political favors was possibly used. The results of that are clear to be seen with members of the DMK getting portfolios almost of choice and making them a clear leader in south-Indian politics for the coming five years, almost forever in political years.

Years ago in Mumbai, a group of local criminals attacked and killed a mill-owner, Mr. Khatau, and popular folk-lore has it that a young lady of the house, paid the Mumbai (then Bombay) Police to eliminate the many that surrounded her father’s car at a busy intersection in the heart of the city. This saga would have just remained a good revenge story, except for the fact the 8-odd criminals involved, were gunned down in the encounters across the city in the following three years. Of them, the second and the eighth criminals were gunned down in police ‘encounters’ at the very junction where her father fell to a hail of bullets. Coincidental, ironic- anything but, I say. And so is the ending of this story unfolding in the island nation of Sri Lanka.

The increasingly concentrated signals traffic from Mullaithivu indicated the growing presence of the senior surviving LTTE cadres there, and effective patrolling of the seas by Indian Navy and Coast guard prevented the exodus of Tamil Refugees to India- as used to be the case of them surviving to fight another day, so many times in the 25+ years that the conflict has raged.

Blocked and surrounded- abandoned by the same politicians who used and abused them from India, with their ability to threaten lost- it was just a matter of time that the LTTE would be wiped out from its current form. That was something that 7RCR did not have time for and there was a reason.

18 years is an awfully long time to wait for revenge, and they had another death anniversary coming up soon. The SLA moved and with the non-stop intelligence from Indian sources, they affected the surrounding of the First Family of the LTTE on Buddha Poornima. The ‘Wesak’ festival got off to a subdued start in Sri Lanka that day to mark the birth anniversary of Lord Buddha. It was around 300BCE was when King Ashokas followers bought Buddhism to the island nation and its importance rose in the Sinhalese, almost so much that it was regarded as the most honourable and ethical expression of Sinhalese culture.

Their dedication to Buddha almost seemed to have paid earthly dividends, in the subsequent capture of the entire Prabhakaran family, that too alive. Buddha seemed to carry out his action of peace and the one the main tenets of Buddhism was to recognize and obey the noble path to end suffering.

Indian intelligence inputs led the way, and Lord Buddha aided the capture… what followed was a slow and sure end to the terror regime. The family was kept united till such time that an unidentified aircraft from Hindon AFB landed in Jaffna, escorted by a flight of 4 MiG-29s flying from Halwara AFB via Tambaram AFB, and then giving close support to the large multi-engine cargo plane to land in the setting sun on the once idyllic island. The fighters peeled off and dashed to the Indian peninsula and the enveloping darkness that welcomed them back.

Rajiv Gandhi had said “Only two fighters are not ‘the’ Indian Air Force,” when asked about the IAF interfering in Sri Lanka before the IPKF deployment. He was right, that 2 aircraft were possibly 1% of the IAF strength… but his daughter doubled that and added a lone Tamil politician, a trusted family man, onboard the looming aircraft with its high set engines to enable operations from Forward landing Strips. The politician, used to being dressed in the traditional white attire of the South, was a strange sight that to some viewers brought the last scene from ‘The Silence of the Lambs’ where Mr. Hopkins walks off tailing his unsuspecting victim…

The interrogation was apparently more emotional, mental than physical- apart from the few blows that it took to get him to kneel and say good bye to his wife, daughter and youngest son. Almost to ensure that they knew why they were going to die. It was their father sending them to their death, for his actions, and all he could do was kneel and watch defiantly as the members of the family were dispatched each with a bullet to the head.

Charles, his son, named after his very good friend died closer to his father than the others… with a single shot to the right eye. With the last of the bloodline gone, the kneeling supreme was chided for his cyanide-capsules and the pity that the world would see him as a coward, one that he really was deep down under those cheap camouflage clothes that he wore to impose his brand of terror on one corner of the world.

The portly, but well groomed politician, dressed in an Iceberg T-shirt and nautical trousers, wearing Timberland-safety capped shoes looked more out of the Macau Casinos than the regular visitor to 7RCR that he was. He stood up and dialed a number on his phone. The SLA Colonel who was with him wondered what kind of a phone that was…

The Tamil politician on a secure phone wired through the elusive Indian satellite, ‘Sanjaya’ relayed the ensuing gun shots to a quiet dinner table, where the future of Indian politics was being shaped. The kneeling chief was made to look up at the phone while the top of his head the back of his skull exploded to the two 9mm bullets fired by the SLA Colonel.

The scion cheered, while the daughter went about drinking her chilled cucumber, tomato and corriander soup and the mother gazed into the fire place, where a small bust of the family patriarch sat. The uncanny look-alike statue had witnessed the death of a daughter, and both grand children to flight and to assassination. Stone cold, the patina shone almost to signify that the new generation had taken over the reins of the country. And that too with a signal that rang across neighbors and on several continents.

It’s the signal all of India is waiting for. The new India is here.
Shirish
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shirish »

Looks like the DANK story I posted on Prabhakaran's end was inadvertently locked :eek: and the thread deleted by mistake :twisted: .
If anyone needs to read it, email me:
oceanaggie2002@yahoo.com