India put on high alert for 26/11 type attack from Pakistan

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

India put on high alert for 26/11 type attack from Pakistan

Post by shiv »

My apologies to the admins. Since this forum is seen a lot I thought that this news should be seen on a separate thread for a short while. It can be thrown away as usual if need be.

News reports indicate that India has been put on high alert for a 26/11 type attack. Coastal states have been put on alert and Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata have been named. There is apparently "increased chatter" among the usual groups indicating that something big is afoot

Note that
  • 1) Israel issued a travel advisory to India a few weeks ago
    2) The US issued one a few days ago
    3) Pakistan navy is on exercise in the Arabian Sea and will give logistic support to terrorists
    4) For many years terrorist have warned that they will conduct at least one major attack every year. It's nearly a year now
I believe Chidambaram's statements need to be seen in this context. There will be retaliation, apparently

Related news:
http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/india_on ... attack.php
rkirankr
BRFite

Re: India put on high alert for 26/11 type attack from Pakistan

Post by rkirankr »

I think something has happened. The US , I guess put some pressure on Pakis to not indulge in naughty things in India and asked India to cool off and let them handle it. All the tons of dossier business was part of that . I think somewhere US has lost the control. Or the Pakis are telling the US, look some of our kids whom we trained are now going on a trip to India and us spoilt brat they don't listen to us, while actually the pakis might have given the pocket money when US was busy trying to keep his pants on fighting the talebs.
So now US says to India , sorry everyman to himself. Apna G@n- kaise bachaye , humey pata nahin , tumhare to tum jaane.
Anabhaya
BRFite

Post by Anabhaya »

There will be retaliation, apparently
It's not like we have not heard that before 26/11.

Another attack and shall retaliate. :roll:

Chidu was addressing a TN Congress meeting in connection with Indira's death anniversary. No wonder he was high on rhetoric.
Ananya
BRFite

Post by Ananya »

the places in context are calcutta,Bangalore, Chennai/Tn and Hyd , My guess is some submarine/fishing boat on the coromandal coast would be the spring board
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

Are there any troop movements on TS Paki side of the border? like fortifications and reinforcements?
then its a sure sign of terror attack. Besides it is customary for terror groups to try something on anniversaries.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Umrao Das wrote:Are there any troop movements on TS Paki side of the border? like fortifications and reinforcements?
then its a sure sign of terror attack. Besides it is customary for terror groups to try something on anniversaries.
TV news mentioned vigorous efforts to push terrorists in at the border.
samuel
BRFite

Post by samuel »

I think it speaks volumes for good governance, if early warnings are being issued based on arriving information rather than the seasonal schedule in "Home Defense Almanac for Peace, Brotherhood, Understanding and Harmony (H&D-A-PBUH)."

Keep it up Mr. Chidambaram, I have always appreciated your diligence and industriousness to the people. I will appreciate your actions even more if you can get the nation to act pre-emptively after serious internal deliberation that we've had much time for.

S
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Home Ministry takes exception to Naval Intelligence issuing alerts

Home Minister is right. There is a higher level coordination committee set up for that purpose. Besides, inland security is the turf of Home Ministry.
Defence intelligence agencies were in an awkward situation on Monday after the home ministry raised doubts over its alert of a possible Mumbai-type terror strike in the country being sounded allegedly without verifying the relevant inputs.

According to sources in the home ministry, the Naval intelligence is believed to have picked up some intercept suggesting that a Mumbai -type terror strike could be carried out in four cities including Mumbai and Ahmedabad. The alert was transmitted to other agencies and reported in the media.

However, when the home ministry asked for the coordinates of the intercept from the defence sleuths for verification, sources said no message was recovered thereafter raising suspicions over the authenticity of the intercepts.

This episode in the backdrop of Union Home Minister P Chidambaram categorical assertions in his orders to intelligence agencies including that from the Defence services and para-military forces that all information about threats should be verified properly before sharing it with other intelligence agencies, a home ministry official said.

The alert from the Naval intelligence stated that Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorists might carry out another attack at Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Kolkata .

Defence Intelligence Agencies had earlier alerted about a possible attack on World Badminton Championship in Hyderabad. After an internal inquiry, it was found that the intelligence input provided by DIA was baseless.
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

Ananya wrote:the places in context are calcutta,Bangalore, Chennai/Tn and Hyd , My guess is some submarine/fishing boat on the coromandal coast would be the spring board
If that is the case it would most likely come from Bangladesh. It will be again another challenge, at least southern coastline is a bit harder to infiltrate (e.g. IN has a pretty good idea of what goes on near the TN coastline thanks to years of LTTE operations), it might not be too hard to get to Kolkotta by sea route given the nature of the Sunderbans waterways.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

shiv wrote:I believe Chidambaram's statements need to be seen in this context. There will be retaliation, apparently
Rhetoric is cheap. Are the Agnis ready? Do you see planes on the tarmac with big N-radiation warning signs around them? Are iodine tablets being distributed and is the population being educated on nuclear war?
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

^^^^^
Re metro threat in my last post: It was assuming that no inside help is available.
It would be a double whammy if insiders are involved, for example - contractors
working for metro. There are some secret to public (restricted areas) shafts going undergrounds used by the engineers, contractors, for maintenace purposes. 'Miscreants' (borrowing a term from TSPians) may try to access those directly, or disguised as laborers working for the contractors. Right now, the overseer, who gets the laborers is gives a
clean chit to his men working there. There is no other independent verification process
for the laborers entering those restricted areas.

The same issue came into question a few years back when contractors were working on extension of kolkata airport and runways.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

shiv wrote:My apologies to the admins. Since this forum is seen a lot I thought that this news should be seen on a separate thread for a short while. It can be thrown away as usual if need be.

News reports indicate that India has been put on high alert for a 26/11 type attack. Coastal states have been put on alert and Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata have been named. There is apparently "increased chatter" among the usual groups indicating that something big is afoot

Note that
  • 1) Israel issued a travel advisory to India a few weeks ago
    2) The US issued one a few days ago
    3) Pakistan navy is on exercise in the Arabian Sea and will give logistic support to terrorists
    4) For many years terrorist have warned that they will conduct at least one major attack every year. It's nearly a year now
I believe Chidambaram's statements need to be seen in this context. There will be retaliation, apparently

Related news:
http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/india_on ... attack.php
You may like to add recent IA chief statement of revisiting NFU policy wrt Pakistan in the changed circumstances. Though the reason stated could be extra Nukes, i could also mean that Army is silently preparing for some eventuality. In that context testing of Prithvi and Agni missiles with stated accuracy bears more meaning.
There is one more statement from Northern Command GOC-in-G which can be viewed in this context.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Singha wrote:vs Pak we are in a position to act conventionally and dare them to
escalate in a nuclear sense due to our superior number of air delivered and prithvi warheads.
But that means we are willing to absorb a hit or two in the worst case. I don't think we are or should be willing to go down this route.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

I had a disturbing realisation. Given the nuclear dimension, the only attack that would ensure Indian retaliation is a dirty bomb or plain old N-bomb. This would overcome all apparent constraints like NFU and fear of nuclear escalation from Pakistan. If Chidambaram is to be taken seriously, then this could be it.
samuel
BRFite

Post by samuel »

Rather than guessing where the attack is coming, we could write to thank for information and ask HM
a) Where he anticipates the next attack to occur.
b) What steps he would ask citizens to take to be prepared against these regular attacks on Indians.
c) Whether the forces in the country that are usually prepared for any eventuality are prepared for this one and,
if not, how he plans to educate and empower people to prepare to recognize and stop these attacks.
d) What he has been doing to prevent such regular attacks from taking place and what progress of that effort can he report.
Here is a list for memory: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 26#p586826
S
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

vera_k wrote:I had a disturbing realisation. Given the nuclear dimension, the only attack that would ensure Indian retaliation is a dirty bomb or plain old N-bomb. This would overcome all apparent constraints like NFU and fear of nuclear escalation from Pakistan. If Chidambaram is to be taken seriously, then this could be it.
I dont think they'll play the nuclear card. If they really want to ratchet things up a notch or two, chemical attacks on a few major metros would proly invite a parakram type response and some assassinations here and there and still keep pakistan on the map.
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

I say for change this time India should not retaliate no matter how grevious the attack may be.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

oh and not to mention...it would divert a lot of attention away from our "friend" to the North. The whole dalai trip would take a backseat just like the "iranian revolution" when jackson died.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Umrao Das wrote:I say for change this time India should not retaliate no matter how grevious the attack may be.
Where is the IT/Vity industry folks. Are they ready to petition the govt.
Ananya
BRFite

Post by Ananya »

Wrt to the posts i made earlier I would bet on the following.

1. Use NOKO ship which takes sugar as cargo and put in abt 20 bunnies and of the coast of andamans a boat would get loose and head towards the east cost. Possible landing points would be Tutocorin or on the Andhra and orissa cost.

2. Use the current indo-aus series and create some noise

the basic idea would be to force India to act and there by go scott free in wazir....
Last edited by Ananya on 02 Nov 2009 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

With napak army getting its musharraf high-fived by the miscreants in islamic emirates of FATA and bombs going off regularly in every major city, it is time for ISI to arrange for a Mumbai-part deux and invite an Indian retaliation to relieve the pressure. It will be easier to play the "equal-equal victims of terrorism also" song given the 'explosive' situation in Pakistan. Ultimately, the brown-pants brigade wants to be deployed at the peaceful LOC/IB instead of the murderous and faded Line-e-Durand.

Mr. Chidambaram would not have shot-off such a comment without specific inputs. Pakistan's usual suspects (ISI/Army) are planning something big. His statement will be played repeatedly on every news channel in India if there is another major terrorist attack on Indian soil. GOI has forced its hand with this statement and now Pakistan has to take this into consideration.

However, the attack is coming regardless. A stand-off with India is exactly what Pakistan wants right now.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Umrao Das wrote:I say for change this time India should not retaliate no matter how grevious the attack may be.
for change :eek: isnt it par the course?? :idea:
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

ravi_ku wrote:
lol my thoughts exactly....
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

What purpose is served by issuing a public alert?
Do they want the citizens to come out on the streets and hold flag marches?
If they have intelligence then follow it up discreetly, what is a common man to do with such info?
I wont be surprised that the Oz team decides to pack their bags and leave due to heightened threat!
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

There will be a threat of retaliation at the most from India. I think Zardari must be writing his speech of how pakistan is willing to back down and is putting an end to terror activities directed at India. Ban JUD etc.

Kiyani might get the boot, paving the way for some baloch Jernail to come in.

This is what'll happen at the most. There will be no Brahmos hitting ISI HQ in Isloo / Pindi.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

My thinking is, if there is going to be a JDAM attack on India it will be either in Bangalore or Delhi.

Bangalore, because it is the nerve center of India's IT, Defence, Space research. This one city is an eyesore for the Chinese and hence the pakistanis. The term Bangalored didn't just get coined that simply. This one city has put the fear of god in the heart of China.

If pakistan is going to ever use a Nuclear weapon, its own nukes are dirty N bombs, they will do a JDAM on bangalore. Hamid Gul was probably not joking, this is his wet dream.

Delhi is the other city I have placed as a second target, mainly because of the parliament and leadership there.

Bangaloreans stay careful.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

The retaliation will be covert imo. GOI won't do anything overtly.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

F**k the OZ team and cricket. An attack is highly disruptive to everything Indian, not to mention the lives of innocent families. So a Ricky Ponting's sorry ass is hardly a concern for us. Infact they are a distraction, acts as a lightning rod for crowds and drains security from more vulnerable areas. Now that point is out of the way:

- An alert common man provides some great proximal intelligence that no Echelon or Mead can provide. case in point, that milkmaid at Konankunte, in that far-off day.

- They must have had intelligence and they followed it up covertly to this point. But they feel their boss, the common man of India needs to be alerted. Normal in any democracy.
Ameet
BRFite

Post by Ameet »

If we are to believe that India will retaliate if attacked this time. Will GOI still do so if the attack is foiled? If so, what will be deemed an acceptable response for the public? Will it depend on the scale of the attack? (ie blowing up a mall vs chemical bomb in Bglore).

Will international pressure not to retaliate if the attack is foiled supersede the Indian public's wishes?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

ravi_ku wrote:
Ravi: Come on, don't tell me you did not catch what UD was [actually] saying.
--------

I just hope desh is not following the footsteps of Unkil, who routinely used such alerts to 'socially engineer' its voters...err I mean citizens.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

They could all be hedging their bets. They have no longer any control or firm line into the Jihadis - so they really dont know what the Jihadis are planning. The safe bet is to assume that something spectacular can only be carried out in India since India will not retaliate. It will be a great morale booster for Jihad, the op theatre extends from Swat to India, TSPA can cease to be engaged to fight its own strategic assets, and everyone can blame India for Jihad at all happening. India can of course retaliate by giving concessions on "Kashmir" - in fact any repeat of Jihadi attacks will increase the demand from within India itself for GOI not doing enough to compensate for hurt "Islamic" feelings.
kasthuri
BRFite

Post by kasthuri »

If any 26/11 style incidents happen, we should foment a lot more trouble in FATA/Balochistan covertly to hasten their end rather than any overt action action which at the most would result in a few hundred casualties for them.
One another option would be to send the army to Afghanistan, not to aid the US, but to completely eliminate the strategic depth option to TSP. It will be a strategic death to TSP then!
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

A small suggestion

- discussion about how India should retaliate for any attack will overwhelm this thread and bury news. All of that should go on another thread.

- this thread should focus on news re. indicators and warnings of a terrorist attack, GoI and local govt preparations for such attacks, related international and regional developments, and limited, focused commentary on the same.
kasthuri
BRFite

Post by kasthuri »

Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

Singha wrote:vs Pak we are in a position to act conventionally and dare them to
escalate in a nuclear sense due to our superior number of air delivered and prithvi warheads.
We'd get our asses kicked at worst, and stalemated at best.

In a conventional limited war, we'd be playing to all of Pakistan's strengths. Indeed the Pakis can hold their own quite well in small skirmishes, artillery duels, tit-for-tat air strikes, etc. India's only superior to Pakistan when our military is fully mobilized, and it has to be a fairly long war (weeks or months, not days) to give time for an Indian blockade and our own superior logistics to become a factor.

Even then, the outcome is by no means certain. In any case what would be the point? Launch a full-scale mobilization followed by an all-out conventional attack... and then what? Obviously we can't follow through and take down the Pakistani gov't; it's widely understood we'll be nuked. We'd have to stop far short of inflicting a real defeat on Pakistan.... so what's the point? To make a statement?

Yes, let's spend tens of thousands of Indian soldier's lives and the equivalent of next year's entire military budget so we can "make a statement". To hell with that. I say no war unless it's TOTAL. If we're not going to pre-emptively nuke Pakistan out of existence then we're obviously not serious, and would be better off turning the other cheek.
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

Welcome Kanan Saar (after a long time you are posting)
IA is not geared for rapid , mobilized and surgical operations. We are equipped trained and the doctrine is all based still WW II type Tank battles, arty duels etc.
EDit later added.

Sorry That I did not read this which makes sense posted by Johaan.
A small suggestion

- discussion about how India should retaliate for any attack will overwhelm this thread and bury news. All of that should go on another thread.

- this thread should focus on news re. indicators and warnings of a terrorist attack, GoI and local govt preparations for such attacks, related international and regional developments, and limited, focused commentary on the same.
A small suggestion

Last edited by Umrao Das on 03 Nov 2009 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

[quote="Y. Kanan
TOTAL. If we're not going to pre-emptively nuke Pakistan out of existence then we're obviously not serious, and would be better off turning the other cheek.[/quote]

If MMS is true to the spirit, just press the Button in coming July and give hot bye bye to Pakisatan . After Pakistan is gone, very few will cry and our soft spoken PM can regret the action and promise to not to do it again. This is the only rational humane way to solve Paki Problem.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Lets visit the various "major incidents" for the past 2 years

Feb 2007 - Samjhauta bombing
May 2007 - Mecca Masjid bombing
Aug 2007 - Lumbini park bombing
Nov 2007 - Court bombing in Lucknow, Faizabad and Varanasi
May 2008 - 9 bombs in Jaipur
July 2008 - Bangalore blasts
July 2008 - 17 bombs in Ahmedabad
Sep 2008 - 5 bombs in delhi
Sep 2008 - Malegaon, Gujrat blast
Nov 2008 - Mumbai

Nothing so far -- a hiatus of a year (not counting ULFA, Naxalites)

The quiet after Mumbai is not by accident, coincidence or good luck. Someone drew a line in the sand.
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

Prem wrote:If MMS is true to the spirit, just press the Button in coming July and give hot bye bye to Pakisatan . After Pakistan is gone, very few will cry and our soft spoken PM can regret the action and promise to not to do it again. This is the only rational humane way to solve Paki Problem.
Years ago, I used to advocate retaliation, limited war and all that... but I've long since come around to the view that wimping out is far better than ill-advised and half-hearted military action.

This viewpoint has only been strengthened as I've watched the Indian military falling behind over the last several years. The Pakistanis (thanks to tens of billions in US aid) have greatly enhanced both their nuclear and conventional capability over the last 8 years while we've improved only marginally in the same time frame. Pakistan has good reason to be itching for a fight - they have every reason to think they might give us a bloody nose or at least make us pay heavily for any gains.

From the Pakistani point of view, it would sure be nice to "defeat" India in battle (ie: avoid losing) while at the same time being given the perfect excuse to stop fighting the Talibs & Al-Quesadillas. A quick war with India would also give Pakistan more ammunition in the never-ending war of the begging bowl (the fight for US taxpayer dollars).

Nah, forget that. As Bush would say "Bring it On" ... let their terrorists come and kill us. We're in no danger of running out of people anytime soon! :)
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Kanan ji weakness is our own made so cant blame Pakis or others for this. It is beyond belief that 11 years from 1998 and still no order for Artillery . So if another attack like 26/11 happened there is no need to beat the keyboard . Just take it on the chin and wait for the day to pay back nicely. Just one thing , when shooting start , let Babus and Netas lead the charge from the front before Jawans are sent.