Turkey News, discussions, India Turkey Relations

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Re: Turkey News, discussions, India Turkey Relations

Post by nachiket »

V_Raman wrote:Indian military being the main disaster relief agency for India has it advantages - it can be deployed anywhere for that purpose - it is more mobile.

This is not the same in other advanced economies - they are all civilian and regionalized and harder to coordinate for help to other countries.
NDRF is a civilian force. Quite well respected for the work they have done during multiple disaster situations since it was formed.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

The sixth OperationDost flight reaches Türkiye!

More search and rescue teams, dog squads, essential search & access equipment, medicines and medical equipment ready for deployment in the relief efforts!
More than 250 personnel, specialized equipment & other relief material amounting to more than 135 tons!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Operation #DOST ..India's NDRF rescues 6 years old girl from Nurdagi, Gaziantep, Turkiye...
Hope!
Two shot videos:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1623690013560176641
https://twitter.com/i/status/1623691686160531459
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Smiling Against All Odds
6 yr old Nasreen was buried under the debris of a building for 3 days.
Rescued this morning & rushed to Indian Army 60 Para Field Hospital, Hatay by emergency workers.
Doctors found her smiling despite pain & multiple fractures.
God bless.
(Source: GAURAV C SAWANT/India Today)
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

While Turkey (from the earthquake) and Pakistan (economically) might be suffering at the moment, And world is rushing humanitarian aid .. but they are busy..
The multi-day ATATURK-XII 2023 joint military training between Pakistan and Turkey concluded in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Julie & Romeo life saver sniffer Dogs of NDRF in Turkey. Julie sniffed out life in the debris of a multi storyed building and a 6 year old girl was brought out alive. My report on
Several teams now seeking help of Julie & Romeo to save lives
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Amber G. wrote:While Turkey (from the earthquake) and Pakistan (economically) might be suffering at the moment, And world is rushing humanitarian aid .. but they are busy..
The multi-day ATATURK-XII 2023 joint military training between Pakistan and Turkey concluded in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region.
Any time you show mercy / kindness / humanaity they will comeback and kill you.
Any one who doubles this should read Indian history for the last 1600 hundred years.
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Amber G. wrote:While Turkey (from the earthquake) and Pakistan (economically) might be suffering at the moment, And world is rushing humanitarian aid .. but they are busy..
Although bilateral relations between Turkey and Pakistan have been strong, the recent introduction of Azerbaijan to this alliance in 2021 established the "Three Brothers" nexus.

It is recalled that in early 2021, the foreign ministers of the three countries swore to defend their respective interests in Cyprus, Nagorno-Karabakh and Jammu and Kashmir.

Turkey's founding father, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, was one of the consummators of the Greek, Armenian and Assyrian Genocide between 1913-1923, making the name of joint military exercise between Turkey and Pakistan all the more provocative.

The founding father of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, was himself was inspired by genocide-perpetrating Atatürk.

According to Jinnah's daughter Dina Wadia, he would talk so much about Atatürk at home that she started calling her father the "Grey Wolf", the name Harold Armstrong gave to his biography of Turkey's founding father.

Stanley Wolpert also mentions this fact in his biography of Jinnah that, writing that one time on vacation, Dina said to her father: “Come on, Grey Wolf, take me to a pantomime; after all, I am on my holidays.”

Jinnah also said that: “Mustafa Kemal Atatürk was the foremost figure in the Muslim East. In Iran and Afghanistan, in Egypt and, of course, in Turkey, he demonstrated to the consternation of the rest of the world that Muslim nations were coming into their own. In Kemal Atatürk, the Islamic world has lost a great hero.”

Jinnah considered Atatürk as “an inspiration” for Indian Muslims to carve out for themselves a country.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

If I remember correctly, Gen. Musharraf spent his youth in Turkey, spoke the tongue fluently and was vastly impressed by it. But Turkey in those days was far different from what it is today.
Gautam
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

VinodTK wrote:
Any time you show mercy / kindness / humanaity they will comeback and kill you.
Any one who doubles this should read Indian history for the last 1600 hundred years.
While I agree with you some what, I feel that the current Indian response to the earthquake is correct. I am sure it was well thought out. It is showing Pakistan in a bad light and that is always good. The perception is that Pakistan did not allow Indian overflights. Everyone now agrees that it is a basket case, including the Turks and the Arabs and that will have it effects long term. And the whole exercise has not cost India and arm and a leg.
Gautam
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Multiple objectives could be the reason for the Humanitarian assistance

1) To break the perception created over the years by Erdogan and his politics in Turkey of India among a large section of populace.
2) Literally reach out to like minded people in Turkey for cooperation in the years and decades to come.
3) Showcase India's capabilities now transcend the neighborhood and even Gulf countries that were the traditional areas of support, assistance and friendship. Now extending to the Mediterranean. Those other countries who are watching know that India's reach could possibly be upto them and there is area of cooperation and friendship.
krithivas
BRFite

Post by krithivas »

De-hyphenation begins at home. GoI's reaction to Turkey/Syrian disaster is how world leader decisively pursue a course of action. Pakistan is incompetent, immaterial and irrelevant in this equation. It is an insult to India and the NDRF responders that Indian assistance to Turkey was somehow intended to show TSP in poor light (Pakistan does a great job of shining the light on themselves). Pakistan is incompetent, immaterial and irrelevant.
g.sarkar wrote:
VinodTK wrote: Any time you show mercy / kindness / humanaity they will comeback and kill you.
While I agree with you some what, I feel that the current Indian response to the earthquake is correct. I am sure it was well thought out. It is showing Pakistan in a bad light and that is always good. The perception is that Pakistan did not allow Indian overflights. Everyone now agrees that it is a basket case, including the Turks and the Arabs and that will have it effects long term. And the whole exercise has not cost India and arm and a leg.
Gautam
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

another simple reason could be that Turkey asked for it and we agreed !
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

V_Raman wrote:another simple reason could be that Turkey asked for it and we agreed !
Syria must have asked in similar manner, but our response was not the same. There are very valid reasons behind any intervention even humanitarian assistance. In Syria most of the areas where such a team could be send seems off limits and held by so called Rebels. The areas under Syrian govt is limited and hence we send only medicines and stuff.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Syria is not a supporter of Pakistan. There has been an effort to separate Pakistan from its traditional supporters. Take the case of the Arab states such as the UAE and SA. Of late this has been successful. No one likes a perpetual beggar. Pakistan's Atam bum rhetoric is not working as in the past.
Gautam
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

uddu wrote:Multiple objectives could be the reason for the Humanitarian assistance

1) To break the perception created over the years by Erdogan and his politics in Turkey of India among a large section of populace.
2) Literally reach out to like minded people in Turkey for cooperation in the years and decades to come.
3) Showcase India's capabilities now transcend the neighborhood and even Gulf countries that were the traditional areas of support, assistance and friendship. Now extending to the Mediterranean. Those other countries who are watching know that India's reach could possibly be upto them and there is area of cooperation and friendship.
I have lived and worked in Turkiye - in the pre Erdogan era, when it was a lot less Islamist. There is a large educated secular middle class even now, which views India positively (and in better light than Pak). Sending help is a great way of generating goodwill among this group and perhaps the govttoo. I also remember Turkey being among the first countries to send help after the 2001 Kutch earthquake.

The death toll in Turkiye vs Syria is approx. 7:1, so it is logical that most of our efforts will go to Turkiye. Most of the affected area in Syria is under the control of Anti Govt forces (except for Allepo) which have not asked for our assistance.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Deans wrote:
uddu wrote:Multiple objectives could be the reason for the Humanitarian assistance

I have lived and worked in Turkiye - in the pre Erdogan era, when it was a lot less Islamist. There is a large educated secular middle class even now, which views India positively (and in better light than Pak). Sending help is a great way of generating goodwill among this group and perhaps the govttoo. I also remember Turkey being among the first countries to send help after the 2001 Kutch earthquake.
In London in fact the whole of the UK, there have been new Turkish businesses setting up. A lot of restaurants, I don't mean kebab shops, proper large restaurants, there is a Turkish furniture store near where I work, the manager is a Sikh.

I was curious about this and while talking to an English colleague at work, he mentioned that his wife is Turkish. I mentioned all these new Turkish businesses to him and he told me that the educated, secular class including the business class are basically fleeing Turkey. The economy is in a bad way and they don't like the islamic direction the nation is being driven. So they are just voting with their feet and money.
We have a French Uber driver who lives near us, and he mentioned that his wife is also Turkish, he confirmed the above. they do not like the hijab nonsense and Turdogan's islamist attitude.

Strange thing is, the pakis/arabs try to make common cause with the Turks, the Turks despise them.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Haresh wrote:..
Strange thing is, the pakis/arabs try to make common cause with the Turks, the Turks despise them.
Must be the Ottoman vs Arab claim to be the leader of the ummah thing. Of course the Pakis just want to identify as the descendants of many fathers except their real one..
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Indian soldier puts humanity before family...
"Wife was to deliver as he boarded IAF Special Flight to be part of the team to set up hospital to help affected people of Turkey..
At Agra hospital wife delivered a son.
Now friends at Ind Army Field Hosp want son named Turki Choudhary...
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/t ... 2023-02-13
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

I don’t think Arabs have any love for Turks. Pakistan on the other hand :rotfl: :lol:
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Haresh wrote: In London in fact the whole of the UK, there have been new Turkish businesses setting up. A lot of restaurants, I don't mean kebab shops, proper large restaurants, there is a Turkish furniture store near where I work, the manager is a Sikh.

I was curious about this and while talking to an English colleague at work, he mentioned that his wife is Turkish. I mentioned all these new Turkish businesses to him and he told me that the educated, secular class including the business class are basically fleeing Turkey. The economy is in a bad way and they don't like the islamic direction the nation is being driven. So they are just voting with their feet and money.
We have a French Uber driver who lives near us, and he mentioned that his wife is also Turkish, he confirmed the above. they do not like the hijab nonsense and Turdogan's islamist attitude.

We stayed with an AirBnB host in Turkey several years back, who admired J Krishnamurthi's writings. He was a liberal and was worried about the direction that Turkey was heading under Turdogan. His fears have come true.

There is (or I must say was) a sizeable population in Turkey, who liked Ataturk and the secular State that he created. They are watching it crumble before their eyes. The trajectory of Muslim majority nations is the same everywhere, irrespective of their starting point.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Prem Kumar wrote:...The trajectory of Muslim majority nations is the same everywhere, irrespective of their starting point.
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

vimal wrote:I don’t think Arabs have any love for Turks. Pakistan on the other hand :rotfl: :lol:
Pak is like a junky identity prostitute.

Identify with whoever pays.

The $$$ is entirely negotiable depending on how badly and quickly the $$$ are required for the fix.

"fie dolla me love you long time"
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Was it not Bulent Ecevit who was a Sanskrit scholar?

The Arabs hate the Turks for historical reasons as the Caliphate passed hands from them to the Turks who ruled over them. Erdogan is looked at with deep suspicion in Arab Kingdoms because of his attempts to re-establish the lost Turkish glory.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

SSridhar wrote: Erdogan is looked at with deep suspicion in Arab Kingdoms because of his attempts to re-establish the lost Turkish glory.
Erdogan to some extent had no choice but to get fundamentalists behind him since friendly regime changes are never too far away when you are a NATO member straddling 2 continents and your interests are seldom convergent with the West. But he went about it with a "tête de Turc" and sang Paki tunes.

He has done remarkably well for the past year and may have a shot at reelection. Despite economic decline, he has no alternative in the current geopolitical scenario.

Turkish Foreign minister had a few choice words for the US ambassador recently...
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

^^ Pakis gave $117 Million? where did they get it? from their rear ends?
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

vijayk wrote:^^ Pakis gave $117 Million? where did they get it? from their rear ends?
They might have donated Turkish aid back to Turkey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h09zEMNhtp0
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

after cursing India for so long, the freeloading turki ummah have decided to pile on

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

These ingrates just moralized and railed against India in the UN on Kashmir! A few days after mission Dost.
So much for that! And now they request aid. WTF?
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Ashokk wrote:
A snake will always bite you.
Friendship and emotion do not come into it.
It's instinct
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

chetak wrote:Image
:rotfl: Taqiyya only. All numbers pulled from the asmani kitaab.
Pakistan had "promised" 10 billion in PKR which in todays rates would be probably 30-35 million in US dollars. Also, that is the promised amount, doubt if that was ever released.

BTW
The US pledged $85 million in aid through USAID to Turkey and Syria. On 20 February, Antony Blinken said the US would pledge a further $100 million to Turkey. Even rich nation like Saudis are way below the numbers quoted in that tweet.
Don't trust everything on the Internet especially if it's coming from harami sources.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

g.sarkar wrote:If I remember correctly, Gen. Musharraf spent his youth in Turkey, spoke the tongue fluently and was vastly impressed by it. But Turkey in those days was far different from what it is today.
Gautam
In the older generation, Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad too was Turky educated (born there as well?). He was Khilafat supporter as well.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

vimal wrote: :rotfl: Taqiyya only. All numbers pulled from the asmani kitaab.
Pakistan had "promised" 10 billion in PKR which in todays rates would be probably 30-35 million in US dollars. Also, that is the promised amount, doubt if that was ever released.

There is a hilarious video clip doing the rounds on Paki twitter (to embarass Showbaaz and push up Immy). It shows an entitled Paki journo in a UN presser demanding to know what happened to the 'missing' Aid promised to Pakistan for the floods. The bemused UN official calmly replies that the UN doesn't have an account where aid is disbursed from. What was referred to were the pledges from donors and if the Pakis have not got it then they should ask the donor countries for it :mrgreen:
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Pakistan is very disappointed that humsaya mulk is cornering whatever little donations are being made... :((

Yawn - Turkiye quake damage estimated to exceed $100bn: UN
Damage from the catastrophic earthquake that struck Turkiye and Syria last month has been estimated at over $100 billion for Turkiye alone, the United Nations said on Tuesday.

“Already it is clear that just the damages alone will amount to more than $100bn,” Louisa Vinton of the UN Development Programme (UNDP) told reporters via video link from Gaziantep in Turkiye, adding that the recovery costs “will be on top of that”.

So far, she said, UNDP was “very disappointed and saddened” by the low level of response to funding appeals to date.

A $1bn flash appeal made on February 16 is currently funded at just 9.6 per cent of the total, she said.
Pakis thought they had smartly put the flood damages at 30 billion USD but bada birather turkiye has shown that 1 Turk = 3.33 Pakis
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

Anybody who asks for Kashmir from India meets the same fate of endless disasters. Beware!
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Turkiye launches an LHD designed to carry helicopters, drones and carry upto 94 vehicles, including upto 13 tanks. They claim that in the future a naval variant of the under development Hurjet light combat aircraft, might also be able to takeoff from the ship.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/tu ... 869&ei=108

The TCG Anadolu, which is 231 metres long and 32 metres wide, can accommodate combat helicopters and military drones, as well as up to 94 vehicles, including 13 tanks.

"Turkish Bayraktar TB3 and Kizilelma drones and the light Hurjet fighters will be able to take off from and land on the ship," said President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who is campaigning for re-election in May.

Erdogan said that the new vessel would allow Turkey to "carry out military and humanitarian operations in the four corners of the world if necessary".

"We see this ship as a symbol that will reinforce our position as a leader in its region and a voice in the world in the century of Turkey. TCG Anadolu, which was put into service, is the world's first warship in its field, where the largest and heaviest helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles can land and take off."

NATO member Turkey has significantly developed its defence industry in recent years, with Ankara, in particular, vaunting the success of its combat drones.

Drones developed by the Baykar company, co-run by one of Erdogan's sons-in-law, have been used in Azerbaijan, Libya and Ukraine. Kyiv used them in the first hours of Russia's invasion last year.

Turkey has repeatedly tried to act as a mediator between Kyiv and Moscow.

China last year unveiled its first military drone carrier, reflecting the growing importance of pilotless aircraft in modern warfare.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Just returned from Turkiye yesterday. Speaking to some of the young people in the country, it seemed that the support for Erdo is waining amongst the younger generation. They remarked that he had been in power for almost 20 years. They were teen when he cam to power and now most of them want a change. However, some remarked that their parents and grand parents, still supported him.

Speaking to a couple of cab drivers in Istanbul, they all said they think that Erdo will loose. However, his support in Istanbul has been dropping for a while now and this might not reflect, what the entire country wants. However, in the past many have said that, if you win Istanbul, you win Turkiye, if you loose Istanbul, you loose Turkiye.

Lets see how the things develop over the next 3-4 weeks.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

https://www.politico.eu/article/recep-t ... mach-ache/
Erdoğan cancels public rallies after health scare
Turkey’s president was briefly stricken by a ‘serious stomach cold’ during TV interview.
NICOLAS CAMUT, APRIL 26, 2023

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who is facing the toughest election of his 20-year rule, canceled planned campaign events Wednesday after falling ill during a live TV broadcast Tuesday night.
“Today, I will be resting at home on the advice of our doctors,” Erdoğan tweeted, adding his condition was a “minor inconvenience due to (his) busy work.”
The Turkish president, who was due to hold rallies in three different Turkish cities on Wednesday, will be replaced by his vice-president, Fuat Oktay.
Erdoğan cut short a live interview Tuesday night after suffering from an upset stomach.
Erdoğan was being interviewed on Turkish TV when the program was interrupted for about 20 minutes, after he suddenly felt ill off-camera, according to the BBC.
Gautam
There has been some speculation in You Tube that he was poisoned. Only time will bring out the truth.