Wikileaks Diplomatic Cable Dump - News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shynee
BRFite

Wikileaks Diplomatic Cable Dump - News and Discussion

Post by shynee »

moderator note: thread created for upcoming wikileaks diplomatic cable dump.

WikiLeaks Diplomatic Cable Dump Reportedly Imminent

http://www.wikileaks.org

US warns India about possible WikiLeaks release
The US has warned India and other key governments across the world about a new potentially embarrassing release of classified documents by the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks which may harm the American interests and create tension in its ties with its "friends".

"We have reached out to India to warn them about a possible release of documents," State Department Spokesman P J Crowley said.
It is not known yet what is contained in these documents about India-related issues.
Last edited by Gerard on 28 Nov 2010 00:18, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: posts from US thread merged here
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Post by CRamS »

How come TSP has not been contacted nor warned; after all, it is non NATO all-lie :-).
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

shynee wrote:US warns India about possible WikiLeaks release
The US has warned India and other key governments across the world about a new potentially embarrassing release of classified documents by the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks which may harm the American interests and create tension in its ties with its "friends".

"We have reached out to India to warn them about a possible release of documents," State Department Spokesman P J Crowley said.
It is not known yet what is contained in these documents about India-related issues.
Have this sneaky feeling that it might have something to do with a certain Mr Headley.. hmmm.. cant wait to find out..
rohiths
BRFite

Post by rohiths »

^^ It can potentially contain bribes given to politicians by CIA, private conduct of netas, babus and diplomats and so on.
Controversy is guaranteed.
shyam
BRFite

Post by shyam »

If that is not bigger than 2G, nobody would care.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

shyam wrote:If that is not bigger than 2G, nobody would care.
It will only give the controversy hungry opposition more weapons to aim at the government... Somehow I don't think it will go unnoticed..
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

This is the cold war policy where they used to buy all the govts and all the behind the scenes.
For India possible one are

BCCI connections
All Govts in power could have been bribed
Assassination of IG and RG could have some internal connection
Wars of 1965 and 1962 could have the hand of US govt
Even 911 could be exposed as an internal one
Last edited by svinayak on 27 Nov 2010 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Is he overhyping the leaks? Because when it comes to its interests, USA doesn't kid around. Julian Asanga might get involved in a traffic accident :-).
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

What about Billy instigation of kargil war that could be part of Wikki leaks

Or all this could be the Intelligence sharing tamasha to assuage Pillay Saar?
Rangudu
BRFite

Re: Wikileaks Diplomatic Cable Dump - News and Discussion

Post by Rangudu »

The leaks are about the mid-Bush to early Obama years. Most likely it has stuff on the nuke deal, US-India military agreements, India-Iran ties etc. TSP may not be the only focus.

BTW, CRS - TSP has also been warned, in fact in much more detail. 94 leaked documents relating to TSP
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

To put their cables on SIPRnet, foreign service officers add a special designator to the header: “SIPDIS,” for SIPRnet Distribution. Department rules preclude certain types of communications from being marked SIPDIS, such as sensitive cables between an ambassador and the U.S. Secretary of State or the White House. Cables containing personally identifying information, such as Social Security numbers, and cables describing department personnel issues would also be omitted.

Though the leaked cables wouldn’t include the most sensitive communiqués between diplomatic posts and Washington, nearly all State Department “reporting cables” carry the SIPDIS designator, and most of those are classified at the Secret or Confidential level, says a former State Department official.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

hmm. Seeing a thread I suddenly thought there are juices flowing here. It is still anticipation like Amitabh's song in Sharabhi - inteha Ho Gayi Intezaar Ki Aayi Na Kuchh Khabar Mere Yaar Ki.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Rangudu wrote:The leaks are about the mid-Bush to early Obama years. Most likely it has stuff on the nuke deal, US-India military agreements, India-Iran ties etc. TSP may not be the only focus.

BTW, CRS - TSP has also been warned, in fact in much more detail. 94 leaked documents relating to TSP
Is there any links which gives details of the period.
Nuke deal may give lot of surprises and may open many people inside India and lobby groups.

There could be also connection to the 2G scam inside India
Muppalla wrote:Vir Sanghvi is talking as though he is congress. This should really shame him (offcource if he has anything like that).
Spicy stuff with Vir Sanghvi
Too many groups claiming control and making it their own private institution.
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

Earlier wikileaks leaks of similar import were preceded by advance disclosure to a few news organizations to allow them time for analysis.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

The most 'damaging' parts of these reports are likely to be the personal assessments of diplomats and others of the local elite - particularly government/bureaucracy. Since these chaps are in the daily business of deception, such revelations are not likely to be endearing in the places where they are posted.

Certainly, there will be enough of other stuff too.. They are probably also worried because they don't WTF is likely to piss one country or the other off :D

It's almost comical. Almost.
arjunm
BRFite

Post by arjunm »

It could have some connections in secessionist movement and,specially recent spur of stone pelting/ Pro-Azadi movement in Kashmir-
shyam
BRFite

Post by shyam »

How does USG know what is going to be in the leak to warn countries in advance? Nothing significant happened after past two reports.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

@Shynee ^^^

US warns India about wikileaks.

What if this is less about TSP and more about 'corrupt' Indian politicians? For example, what if Swamy's letter to MMS is corroborated by this release?

Also, it occurred to me that this whole wikileaks thing is a potential propaganda bonanza for political opponents to 'plant' cables (what does it really take?) ascribed to WL. They can show show certain figures as corrupt or doing 'anti-national' things?

I'm buying popcorn....

Behold the power of the internet!
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Start a website. Give some sensational material so that everybody believe it (we like to believe everything anti American). And thus create a credible site to spread misinformation. I think it is a big time CIA trick. Now you will see American diplomats criticizing bad guys and some of allies (read UK, France). Next time they bring out some info about country where they want to create problems.I personally do not believe this site. It is a creation of few intelligence agencies to publish crap about target leaders in a credible way in order to destabilize a political party leader or a nation. It is an instrument of US/EU foreign policy suited for an open world. My 2 Euro cents
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

rsingh wrote: It is a creation of few intelligence agencies to publish crap about target leaders in a credible way in order to destabilize a political party leader or a nation. It is an instrument of US/EU foreign policy suited for an open world. My 2 Euro cents
Perhaps. But: " The new Coca-Cola formula subsequently caused a public backlash. Gay Mullins, from Seattle, Washington, USA, founded the Old Coke Drinkers of America organization, which attempted to sue the company, and lobbied for the formula of Old Coke to be released into the public domain. This and other protests caused the company to return to the old formula under the name Coca-Cola Classic on July 10, 1985. The company was later accused of performing this volte-face as an elaborate ruse to introduce a new product while reviving interest in the original. The company president responded to the accusation by declaring: "We are not that stupid, or that smart." http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Coca-cola

You give intelligence agencies too much credit for being intelligent. These are cables from US Embassies to the DOS in their unvarnished form and I for one see this less as 'Anti-American' than anti 'mealy-mouth'.

The truth will set us free. Or, as the Germans would have it: "die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen" not to be confused of course, with "Arbeit macht frei".

Clears the air and allows for the "reset button" that Hillary keeps talking about. The US will not only weather this but emerge stronger because all it did in effective response was to alert other governments. No assassination squads (AFAIK) and no leaning too heavily on news media to cut it out. The roaches on both sides will have to look for new spidey holes.
Last edited by Cosmo_R on 28 Nov 2010 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

My guess it would be something that would undermine Indian opposition parties. This will be an == for recent corruption issues that undermined dynasty interests thus external interests.

If I am incorrect, I will gladly donate $100 to BRF :)
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

RamaY wrote:My guess it would be something that would undermine Indian opposition parties. This will be an == for recent corruption issues that undermined dynasty interests thus external interests.

If I am incorrect, I will gladly donate $100 to BRF :)
Possibly. But these cables date back to 2004.

Nepotism (AKA family business) is also a form of corruption. It's just that the opposition parties seem to be more in circular firing squad mode.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

India, world brace for new WikiLeaks flood
The Hindu

WikiLeaks set to reveal what US really thinks of David Cameron
The Independant UK

Bracing for WikiLeaks, US warns ‘friend’ India
Indian Express

This smells like diplomatic catastrophe for the yankies.. The amount of importance they are giving the leaks by definitely reveals extremely sensitive information is about to open a can of worms!
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

They r talking of millions of pages of confidential documents here. That is mind boggling. Getting that much info and that too unencrypted is simply impossible to believe. So whose heads will roll in massaland?
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

so is it time for a leak? or should i hold it?
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

JE Menon wrote:
Certainly, there will be enough of other stuff too.. They are probably also worried because they don't WTF is likely to piss one country or the other off :D

It's almost comical. Almost.
Usually they have played on both sides of the regime both opposition and the ruling govt.
They have used spies and informers to undermine the other party during negotiations.
They have worked with inside informers to extract as much as possible.

WIKILEAKS ALLEGATIONS: Pakistan's Ambassador Responds
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I think that there will be some new information, but not damaging enough for India-US relations.

For sure there will be info that the US knows much more than it openly admits about Pakistan sponsored terrorism. The US knows and has done nothing to stop it, in fact has been using that as a tool to bargain its own deals with Pakistan.

I don't think the uber sensitive things will be out, perhaps some more of the 'Indians are the most damn aggressive people around' and 'they are basterds anyway' and 'she's a bitch' type things.

Possibility of ghoos money paid to netas, honeypot ops on netas. (I know of one hon. mantri ji on a visit to DC who was being supplied white women for his sojourn here). And arm twisting to push for deals. The nuclear deal comes to mind.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

When are they releasing the stuff?
Bracing for newspaper analysis because some of them get to peek in beforehand.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

niran wrote:so is it time for a leak? or should i hold it?
Go for it. Just don't conflate it with the religion.
Rampy
BRFite

Post by Rampy »

I have a simple pooch

Unless the leaks causes a shame and loss of trust to Amrikhan with us, why should they be telling or warning people. I am pretty sure that they would have realized that the leaks would either cause thier pet Govt to fall in India or cause a war with Paki (not possible with Nobel Prize winner on helm), otherwise they would careless

My though is it would have details either on New Clear deal or how Amrikhan twisted India or 26/11 attack
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

self deleted
Last edited by Cosmo_R on 28 Nov 2010 06:44, edited 2 times in total.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

"Gagan" I think that there will be some new information, but not damaging enough for India-US relations.

(I know of one hon. mantri ji on a visit to DC who was being supplied white women for his sojourn here).

Can you elaborate?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Marwana hai kya?
The thing I know is Heresay, from individual(s) who claimed to have directly participated in the entire process.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

On the pakistani side, Mushy, Kiyanahi, ISI-Pasha must surely be crapping in their chaddis
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

U.S. officials say latest planned WikiLeaks release will do most damage yet
The Star
U.S. diplomats and officials said they’re bracing for at least three newspapers and WikiLeaks to publish on Sunday hundreds of thousands classified State Department cables that could drastically alter U.S. relations with top allies and reveal embarrassing secrets about U.S. foreign policy.

U.S. diplomats have been frantically reaching out to their counterparts around the world as intelligence officials pleaded with WikiLeaks and the newspapers, including The New York Times, the Guardian in London and Der Spiegel, a German newsweekly, to not publish information that could endanger lives and U.S. policy. Some of the documents are expected to reveal details about how some U.S. diplomats feel about top foreign leaders.
Germany’s Der Spiegel briefly published a story on its website Saturday saying that the documents include 251,287 cables and 8,000 diplomatic directives, most of which date after 2004. About 9,000 documents are from the first two months of this year, the newspaper said.

About 6 per cent of the documents were classified as secret, the newspaper said before taking down its story. The majority was unclassified, the newspaper said, but all were intended to remain confidential. The newspaper said it would release all the documents at 4:30 p.m. EST Sunday. WikiLeaks and the newspapers are expected to release the documents and their findings at the same time. However, the release time has changed several times over the past few days.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

shukla wrote: the documents include 251,287 cables and 8,000 diplomatic directives, most of which date after 2004. About 9,000 documents are from the first two months of this year, [/b]the newspaper said.
The key thing is the year 2004 and later till 2008. After that the US elite showed lot of arrogance which really put of many nations against the US policies and made them come together to hedge.
This broke the international order and old alliances
They are trying to repair the global order.
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

Due to budgetary constraints Washington has out sourced white women for Brown shaibs to real Caucasian nations ( aka East European countries, recall that they Invaded Common wealth games, dont know if Kalmadi charged them stall fees)
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Leaks leaks where are they?