SSridhar - PB has been on cover of Time, won person of the year award from India abroad (Indian News paper published in US), so I assumed people know it. He is also quite well known for prosecuting people like Faisal Shazad, (Time square Bomber),Ahmed Ghailani,(Al Qaeda U.S. Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania), Affia Siddiqui, and Pakis like, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed...
Paksitani newspaper have come out (then a few years ago) very strongly against him - that he hates pakistan and goes on witch hunt against Pak-americans.. as he went ruthlessly against many Pakis (for example see this: link
Now he is unpopular in India too, (And perhaps you know that Bharara is on a list released from Putin (Russia) for Americans banned from entering the country over human rights violations..
Just some information, lot of him on internet, here are few good resources people may find interesting:Preet Bharara in His Own Words9/11 Proseecutor
• Born in Ferozepur, India, in 1968. His family moved to Monmouth County, New Jersey, two years later.
• Graduated from Harvard University in 1990 and Columbia Law School in 1993. That summer, he spent several weeks as a volunteer for Mark Green's successful campaign for New York City public advocate.
• Worked in private practice until 2000, when he became an assistant U.S. Attorney in New York. Pursued organized crime, including the Colombo and Gambino crime families, as well as drug-trafficking, Wall Street fraud and other crimes.
• Became chief counsel to New York Senator Charles Schumer in 2005 and while in that role helped lead the investigation into the firings of eight U.S. Attorneys under President George W. Bush. Despite working for one of the Senate's most liberal members, the registered Democrat was not considered a strong partisan and won praise for conducting an evenhanded probe. (On his confirmation he got 100% of senate votes - very rare .. personal tidbit - one of my student worked worked with Schumer )
• Sworn in as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York in October after being confirmed by the U.S. Senate in August (he was nominated for the post by President Obama in May). Oversees about 200 lawyers in one of the nation's most high-profile prosecutor positions. Recently brought charges against billionaire Raj Rajaratnam and 19 others in an extensive and ongoing insider-trading probe.
• Married with three young children. In interviews, he has reflected on his family's diverse religious heritage: Sikh (his father), Hindu (his mother), Muslim (his wife's father) and Jewish (his wife's grandfather).
• A fan of fellow Monmouth County resident Bruce Springsteen
( A framed photo Bharara's mother hangs in office - PB often talks very highly of his father and indian roots)
"Four different families, practicing four different faiths — all compelled to flee a half-century ago because of their religion ... Even when my wife fasts for Yom Kippur, and my father-in-law fasts for Ramadan, I get to stuff my face with samosas all day."
— Joking about his family's Jewish, Muslim and Hindu background in a speech to the South Asian Bar Association of New York in 2007 (New York Times, Aug. 9, 2009)
Also his brother Vinnie Bharara is quite rich and famous too ..(sold his company to Amazon.com for about half a billion dollars)
(Small tidbit - PB's mother and Sanjay Gupta's mother were friends and they often compared whose son's are doing better)