India-US Strategic News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby UlanBatori » 23 Jan 2014 21:12

Try Anmol Technology with any of the following: In India, AID-India, DYFI. In US, Pakistan-American Association (PAA), SINGH foundation (nothing to do with Sikhs, BTW) , South Asia Citizens Web, NRI-SAHI, Vaishnava Center for Enlightenment, FOIL, FOSA, Citizens Against Genocide (whole list of organizations there), Vijay Prasahad, Kaleem Kawaja, Shaikh Ubaid, Biju Matthew, Youth Solidarity Summer, Jubilee Baptist, Three Rivers Foundation .. just off the top of my head.

See this:

"When I decided to come to the United States, my hope was to work for a few years to support my family and then return to India. I never thought that things would get so bad here, that I would work so much that I did not have time to sleep or eat or have time to myself. Because of this treatment, I requested that I return to India but that request was denied," Richard said in a short, cryptic statement that largely served to glorify Safe Horizon's role in the episode than throw any great light on her differences with the diplomat and how it widened.

Compare with
Arpita De, Times News Network, “Who is Sangeeta Richard?" Time of India, online article December 20, 2013.

when Sangeeta met Devyani at the immigration office; she refused to go back to India and get a normal passport. Apparently she had claimed that, "I will not go back. Why will I go back? I know that if I go back I will never be able to come back to the US."

According to Sangeeta's mother-in-law, she always wanted to work in the US.

RAA Agint, I tell you! No other explanation. :mrgreen:

ramana
Forum Moderator

Postby ramana » 23 Jan 2014 21:39

A forme Secret Service agent deconstructs Ombaba's world view

For Obama Govt is Religion

Ex-Secret Service Agent: Obama Uses Govt as 'Personal Weapon'
Friday, 22 Nov 2013 03:27 PM

President Barack Obama's religion is the government, and he uses it as a "personal weapon," says former Secret Service agent Dan Bongino.

"He uses government not as a political weapon, he uses it as a personal weapon against his enemies . . . Punish those who don't support us," Bongino told "The Steve Malzberg Show on Newsmax TV

"[Obama] does what's best for his ideology . . . His religion is government. And when your religion is government, you do anything to further that because it really relies on faith. It doesn't rely on evidence."

Bongino — who guarded Presidents Obama and George W. Bush and is author of the new book "Life Inside the Bubble: Why a Top-Ranked Secret Service Agent Walked Away From it All" — thinks Americans are suffering for that view.

"Just like someone trying to tell you, if you're a Christian, Jesus Christ didn't exist, it's your faith. It's his faith in government that, despite the evidence, he sticks to it no matter what," Bongino said.

"But the penalty's not real for him. He's got his own doctor in the White House. The penalty's for us. We're the ones getting punched in the face [with the Affordable Care Act]."

"He believes in this ideological quest . . . Like we're the anointed ones and we're going to rule over your lives, and that is ultimately his North Star no matter what."

The Affordable Care Act, he says, "should prove my point. It's slapping you in the face right now how big government medicine can't possibly work."

Bongino's book, published by WND Books, is described as an insider's look at the "'presidential bubble,' a haze of staffers, consultants, cronies, acolytes, bureaucrats and lobbyists that creates the 'alternate reality' in which monumental policy decisions are made."

Bongino is running for the U.S. House seat from Maryland's 6th Congressional District in 2014.

Something his aides used to slap India in the DK episode.

anmol
BRFite

Postby anmol » 23 Jan 2014 21:57

Another amazing post from http://mindbodypolitic.com/ (Lila Rajiva)

Bharara’s Israeli & Pakistani In-Laws

January 21, 2014

The surprises never end:

Preet Bharara is not only half-Sikh, he is married to a woman whose father is Pakistani and whose mother is Israeli.

That makes Bharara’s three children Jewish (Jewish ethnic descent is through the mother’s line).

Q: Does Bharara’s wife have/retain Israeli citizenship?

Why is this line of reasoning important?

Because Sikh militants have had close ties with Pakistan’s intelligence, ISI.

And, the ISI is reportedly trying to revive Sikh militancy within India, where it has subsided, even while it has grown outside India, because of funding by third-parties.

QUOTE:
“The minister [R.P.N. Sing] said the National Investigation Agency has been investigating into the funding of the banned Babbar Khalsa International (BKI).

Singh said the NIA has registered a case against Punjab-based operatives of BKI based on the allegation that they are receiving funds from UK-based BKI operatives to commit terrorist acts in India with active material and logistic support from Pakistan-based BKI leaders.” (Times of India, August 13, 2013)

Furthermore,Mossad reportedly helped create the Sikh militant movement directing it through an old-boy network of Sikhs in the Indian army.

Here are more details:

New York Times, Aug 9, 2009:

“His [Bharara] father, a Sikh, and his mother, who was Hindu, were born in what is now Pakistan, before India and Pakistan were separate countries.

In the violent migration that occurred after the 1947 partition, his father and mother both moved to the Indian side, with their families losing property and most of their possessions, Mr. Bharara has said.

His wife’s father, a Muslim, also moved, from the Indian side into Pakistan, also losing his home “and much, much more,” as Mr. Bharara put it. And his wife’s mother was born in Palestine, after her father, who was Jewish, escaped with his family from Nazi Germany.”

Bharara, the son of a Sikh doctor from Amritsar, which was the site of the Golden Temple massacre, is married into a Pakistani-Israeli/Ashkenazi family.

That alone should set off alarm bells.

But, in addition, the whole Devyani Khobragade incident seems to have had the support of a radical Sikh campaign against Indian sovereignty.

Indian intelligence has unearthed Mossad/Israeli agents have been making contacts with radical Islamic groups, as well as with the radical left, in Kochi, in Kerala state (from where the diplomat’s maid came).

http://mindbodypolitic.com/2014/01/19/shocker-india-nanny-gate-reports/Perhaps action, not just alarm, is warranted.

Preet Bharara should be removed from office and investigated for ties to the Khalistani movement.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Postby ramana » 23 Jan 2014 22:12

many higher up Democratic Party luminaries have some South Asian spouses of mixed origins. Something exotic about the whole thing for these people. Could be Noah's children stuff.

Anand K
BRFite

Postby Anand K » 23 Jan 2014 22:26

There's no discussion on PB's new target, SAC Capital boss Steven Cohen and an Indian America portfolio manager, Mathew Martoma?
BTW, Mr. Martoma was expelled from Harvard Law School ten years ago for falsifying his grades.

member_28380
BRFite -Trainee

Postby member_28380 » 23 Jan 2014 22:28

[quote="anmol"]Another amazing post from http://mindbodypolitic.com/ (Lila Rajiva)

I read this information in the comments section of Iran's Press TV more than a month ago. The Jewish bankers lobby connection. This will explain why he doesn't prosecute the gangsters from the mega banks. JP Morgan Bank's chief has ruined the lives of ordinary people all over the world. Forget strip search, no hand cuff?

KLP Dubey
BRFite

Postby KLP Dubey » 23 Jan 2014 22:30

amit wrote:If the issue is resolved according to Bharat's satisfaction why do we need SR back? Let her be Bharat 's gift to Khan. She can clean the toilets of all those highly paid pro- bono Lawers, that is when she has free time after feeding protein to dear Paco.

Not sure what satisfactory resolution you are referring to. Again, it is not the time for ad hoc arrangements. There needs to be a clear policy in these things, and a clear message to people seeking to immigrate by duping others. Otherwise it will happen again, and we will be looking for another "satisfactory resolution".

member_28380
BRFite -Trainee

Postby member_28380 » 23 Jan 2014 22:31

http://inagist.com/all/422039991959560192/

Funny tweet, don't know if this had been posted. Bharara plans to sue the makers of Fair and Lovely cream. :lol:

ramana
Forum Moderator

Postby ramana » 23 Jan 2014 22:34

Anand K wrote:There's no discussion on PB's new target, SAC Capital boss Steven Cohen and an Indian America portfolio manager, Mathew Martoma?
BTW, Mr. Martoma was expelled from Harvard Law School ten years ago for falsifying his grades.

It seems to be an insider trading situation. What is there to discuss?
BTW Martoma is another flawed genius. He went on to Stanford and got MBA and became a floor trader. made lost of money for his employers. He appears to have used insider info to make money.

Or do we want to discuss every Indian American triumph and loss as a Indo-US strategic N&D topic?

Didnt we say a few hundred pages ago that IA are a group by themselves and so no need to give them more publicity!

rgsrini
BRFite

Postby rgsrini » 23 Jan 2014 22:36

^^anmol,
Thanks for posting the EIR on Sikh Terrorism. I just started to read it, but I thought I will post a quick note here, for the benefit of others. It is a fantastic read to understand, how Britian, US, Canada, Soviet Union, Israel all conspired, trained, supported, armed and nurtured the sikh movement in hopes of splitting India.

It talks about arms smuggling routes, safe houses, training camps etc.

Lots of details guys and gals. Don't miss it.

Added link later.
EIR on Sikh Terrorism - 1985

shiv
BRF Oldie

Postby shiv » 23 Jan 2014 22:46

anmol
BRFite

Postby anmol » 23 Jan 2014 22:53

rgsrini wrote:^^anmol,
Thanks for posting the EIR on Sikh Terrorism. I just started to read it, but I thought I will post a quick note here, for the benefit of others. It is a fantastic read to understand, how Britian, US, Canada, Soviet Union, Israel all conspired, trained, supported, armed and nurtured the sikh movement in hopes of splitting India.

It talks about arms smuggling routes, safe houses, training camps etc.

Lots of details guys and gals. Don't miss it.

Added link later.
EIR on Sikh Terrorism - 1985

saar, full credit for this goes to Lila Rajiva Ji http://mindbodypolitic.com/.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Postby ramana » 23 Jan 2014 22:53

Tie this video with new popularity of neo-fiction writers' on Sleeman's campaign against Thugs.

anmol
BRFite

Postby anmol » 23 Jan 2014 22:59

VijayKM wrote:
anmol wrote:Another amazing post from http://mindbodypolitic.com/ (Lila Rajiva)

I read this information in the comments section of Iran's Press TV more than a month ago. The Jewish bankers lobby connection. This will explain why he doesn't prosecute the gangsters from the mega banks. JP Morgan Bank's chief has ruined the lives of ordinary people all over the world. Forget strip search, no hand cuff?

I think Jamie Dimon is not jewish, but I agree with you... I got that impression from the PBS documentary:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... -a-trader/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... ll-street/

Indian, Chinese...Jail.
WASP, Jewish...financial settlement.

SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Postby SBajwa » 23 Jan 2014 23:11

The "Sikh Temple" asylum was clearly planned. I am sure the people in a usual Gurudwara are extremely generous, but also extremely law-abiding. No way would they hide someone on an official passport for 2 months without informing someone, i.e., police, Indian embassy, family of SR, someone.

True! Even at Golden Temple a poor person is only given food once a day and shelter only for few days (less than a week) so that they remain independent. Is SR a Punjabi or a former sikh? Lots of poor Ravidasia Sikhs have become christians due to EVJs in Gurdaspur area.

The USA State Department is definitely targeting the domestic help visa for Indian IFS babus. If PB wants to capture low paid workers all he has to do is to raid any Chinese/Mexican/Indian owned businesses in his jurisdiction. You can find hundreds of low paid workers.

Prem
BRF Oldie

Postby Prem » 24 Jan 2014 00:11

Kerry seeks to revive energy talks with India
http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affairs ... z2rFax2S8A
Secretary of State John Kerry and his Indian counterpart vowed Wednesday to try to revive energy talks postponed after the arrest of an Indian diplomat in New York.Kerry met with Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid on the margins of this week's Syrian peace talks in Montreux, Switzerland. The two agreed to try to reschedule a visit by Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz that was canceled earlier this month after a diplomatic row over the arrest and strip search of Devyani Khobragade, who has been accused of visa fraud in connection with a babysitter's wages.The two diplomats “discussed their shared commitment to moving the relationship forward and returning to close partnerships on strategic, security and economic issues,” a senior State Department official told reporters. “They agreed to work with their teams back at home to schedule the energy dialogue soon and to stay in close touch in the coming months.”The energy partnership focuses on discussions about renewable, nuclear, and regional energy project ideas between the U.S. and India.

r_subramanian
BRFite

Postby r_subramanian » 24 Jan 2014 05:58

Yet another Indian-Origin catch for Preet Bharara

Conservative Commentator Dinesh D'Souza Indicted On Campaign Finance Fraud Charges
Dinesh D'Souza, the conservative commentator, best-selling author, and filmmaker, has been indicted by a federal grand jury for violating federal campaign finance laws.
"As we have long said, this Office and the FBI take a zero tolerance approach to corruption of the electoral process," Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement.

"If, as alleged, the defendant directed others to make contributions to a Senate campaign and reimbursed them, that is a serious violation of federal campaign finance laws."

link: http://www.businessinsider.com/dinesh-d ... aud-2014-1

A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Postby A_Gupta » 24 Jan 2014 06:02

Preet Bharara goes after Dinesh D'Souza on federal campaign finance law violations.
For the record: I execrate D D'S. If there are tears, they are of joy.

Confirms PB's high political ambitions.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/ ... S220140123
Indictment:
http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/201821218

Madhusudhan
BRFite

Postby Madhusudhan » 24 Jan 2014 06:07

If you look at the number of Indian origin folks being prosecuted by Preet Bharara, one or more of the following has to be true:
1. Indian origin folks have more white collar criminals amongst them (Very unlikely especially among the immigrant population)
2. Indian origin folks that engage in white-collar crime don't cover up their tracks as well as the entrenched white-collar criminals in the system
3. Preet Bharara finds them to be easy targets
4. He has a disdain for them.

Is it a combination of 2,3,4?

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Postby UlanBatori » 24 Jan 2014 06:46

Wow! This thread has really taken a scary turn. We seem to have blundered into a nest of vipers. We can only smell the "fragrance": actually digging out the **** has to be left to professionals. How to get this out into the open where they realize that it is not paranoia and CT but substance?

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 24 Jan 2014 06:56

January 21, 2014

The surprises never end:

Anmol, this facts in this post (eg about PB's wife. father/mother, and inlaws) are/were VERY well known by most people who know him. He has been on cover of Time, and many interviews in NYtimes etc.. so his background is no secret...this fact was never hidden, in fact he always talked/joked about it and was proud of it. He has often talked with glowing tribute to his father and his family values and how proud of his father he is. (His famous quote - that he likes to stuff his mouth with samosa when his in laws (jews and muslims) fast- has appeared many places)

member_28380
BRFite -Trainee

Postby member_28380 » 24 Jan 2014 07:43

Hope this is not true :evil:
[url]
http://www.newindianexpress.com/opinion ... 016305.ece[/url]

By Bharat Karnad Published: 24th January 2014 06:00 AM

"Under pressure from the Manmohan Singh government, the ministry of external affairs is compromising on the strict reciprocity predicate ordinarily dictating equitable interstate relations. Indian ambassador S Jaishankar is concocting a deal with US deputy secretary of state William Burns whereby not only is there no hint of an US apology for the Devyani Khobragade incident, but in exchange for Khobragade and two previous Indian consul-generals in New York who had servant trouble being able to enter America freely in the future without fear of prosecution, the status quo ante favouring the US diplomats stationed in India is restored. They will once again enjoy immunities and privileges—unhindered access and exemption from body searches at airports, income tax-free status for family members working illegally, leniency in import of victuals, etc.—unavailable on a reciprocal basis to Indian diplomats posted in America. This is unacceptable."

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Postby UlanBatori » 24 Jan 2014 08:16

So glad to hear that Paco will be getting his protein again under the new Viceroy I mean Ambassador A. May.

sivab
BRFite

Postby sivab » 24 Jan 2014 08:33

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... 76015.aspx
MEA finds US embassy underpaying Indian workers

The ministry of external affairs has accessed work contracts of several Indians employed by the US embassy in Delhi and its consulates in Chennai and Hyderabad, HT has learnt. These employees have alleged that they are being ‘underpaid’ and ‘facing discrimination’.

"After Devyani Khobragade made headlines, several Indians employed by the American embassy contacted us with their grievances," a top government official said, adding, "we are keeping the ammunition dry for future use." Accused of tax and visa fraud by teachers employed at the American school, the US could well also be charged with underpaying Indians on its rolls.

Khobragade, an Indian diplomat in the US, was charged for underpaying her maid and MEA officials believe that the employment contracts accessed by them point to the Indians being similarly underpaid. Importantly, the wages are not just lower than their American colleagues, but are well below salaries received by Indians employed by the Indian government.

Some employees are now trying to leverage the recent standoff between the two countries in the hope that the US embassy may address the issue. At least one of the four employees who have now approached the MEA has told the ministry that he has put in a complaint and is awaiting internal redressal.

Other Indians approached by HT said that they feel encouraged because the MEA has formally sought all contracts of Indians working in the US embassy.

"Earlier, the MEA was not willing to give us an audience. Many continue in the jobs because it is not easy to find another one," said an employee.

According to the contracts perused by HT, one official, hired as an assistant in the Chennai consulate is earning an annual net salary of Rs. 2.72 lakh. Employed in the grade of foreign service national 6/Step 2, this assistant is equivalent to section officers in the Indian Bureaucracy, who are paid around R5-6 lakh per annum.

Another employee, working at the Hyderabad consulate as an FSN 8/Step 3 official – equal in rank to a senior section officer – is similarly being paid Rs. 2.85 lakh per annum. The names of employees are being withheld as they have shared their wage contracts with the MEA on the promise of confidentiality.

MEA official spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin told HT: "We have asked the US Embassy for contracts of all Indians employed by them but are yet to receive details even a month later."

At least two officials have told the MEA that they were discriminated against. One official, who is still employed by the US embassy, told the MEA that he has "filed a formal complaint".

Another official, Archana Srivastava, was appointed as political specialist by the US embassy in 2012. She does not mind being named because she is now in a battle with her former employers. According to Srivastava, she was "illegally confined and forced to sign a pre-drafted resignation letter and made to go home in a taxi."

She told HT, "Till 2013, I tried to meet the American ambassador and sent her and the US government several mails but never got a reply. I have now contacted the National Commission for Women. I am not a diplomat like Khobragade, so nobody is bothered." The NCW has written to the MEA, seeking their response.

In India, the US embassy and its consulates employ an approximate 1,000 people, ranging from security guards and cooks to senior consultants and advisors.

The US embassy refused comment when contacted by HT for a response to allegations of them underpaying Indians. An official spokesman said, ‘all such issues are being addressed through diplomatic channels".

Seems MEA is just using these cases as negotiating tactic. If so, they deserve the treatment they get.

Kati
BRFite

Postby Kati » 24 Jan 2014 08:34

So his own karma has caught up with snob Dinesh D'Souza.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/24/nyreg ... egion&_r=0

....how pathetically D'Souza's "aamrikaan dream" is coming to an end. He epitomized
the concept of MUTU.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Postby ramana » 24 Jan 2014 08:42

Alas poor Yorik!

DD was our MUTU in the system.

Mahesh_R
BRFite

Postby Mahesh_R » 24 Jan 2014 08:50

"Under pressure from the Manmohan Singh government, the ministry of external affairs is compromising on the strict reciprocity predicate ordinarily dictating equitable interstate relations.

so finally munna is showing his gratitude... sure history will remember him for all his acts..
I wish some from PMO team write a book on all the secret deals he did.... wish wish wish..
there are many fools out there who think he is the best PM Bharat could every had...tried to explain them but no use....

Madhusudhan
BRFite

Postby Madhusudhan » 24 Jan 2014 08:55

Now DD as a backdoor deal for Preet Bharara to make amends for what he did to India could also make sense :D

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Postby SSridhar » 24 Jan 2014 08:59

Kati wrote:So his own karma has caught up with snob Dinesh D'Souza.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/24/nyreg ... egion&_r=0

Another feather in Bharara's cap.

Karan Dixit
BRFite

Postby Karan Dixit » 24 Jan 2014 09:02

D'Sounza is all right although not my favorite nut on the tree. Let us see if conservatives come to his aid. Bhrara's zeal in going after IA community is interesting to say the least.

Karan Dixit
BRFite

Postby Karan Dixit » 24 Jan 2014 09:06

Mahesh_R wrote:
"Under pressure from the Manmohan Singh government, the ministry of external affairs is compromising on the strict reciprocity predicate ordinarily dictating equitable interstate relations.

so finally munna is showing his gratitude... sure history will remember him for all his acts..
I wish some from PMO team write a book on all the secret deals he did.... wish wish wish..
there are many fools out there who think he is the best PM Bharat could every had...tried to explain them but no use....

I think all these unilateral concessions can be tied to Man Mohan Singh.

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Postby SSridhar » 24 Jan 2014 09:07

Amber G. wrote:

January 21, 2014

The surprises never end:

Anmol, this facts in this post (eg about PB's wife. father/mother, and inlaws) are/were VERY well known by most people who know him.

Even if these facts are well known to Americans or Indians who live there, for most in India who normally do not care about the US, these are unknown and have some significance. Thanks for posting.

habal
BRF Oldie

Postby habal » 24 Jan 2014 09:14

If you heard the group of young K sympathizers speech in UK, Southall some time ago, on youtube. They were cribbing about how folks from Punjab would come to western countries (illegally) in containers, on boats and in every way possible and then live of anonymity while toiling day & night all the while looking over their shoulder for visits from security services regards their status, while those from rest of India would mostly be in white collar jobs and would live a life of luxury in UK or USA. Now link that with how Shri PB is going solely after white collar Indians for their perceived crimes.

JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Postby JE Menon » 24 Jan 2014 09:49

The above is of course pure bull. Punjabis and Sikhs are in professions across the spectrum, and probably on balance are overwhelmingly in "white collar" activities wherever they are.

KLP Dubey
BRFite

Postby KLP Dubey » 24 Jan 2014 10:10

VijayKM wrote:Hope this is not true :evil:
[url]
http://www.newindianexpress.com/opinion ... 016305.ece[/url]

By Bharat Karnad Published: 24th January 2014 06:00 AM

I hope so too.

PS: Check out the comment on the article by someone called Preet Bharara. A prank, I assume.

chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Postby chaanakya » 24 Jan 2014 10:42

US brings fraud charges against firm that vetted Snowden

The Justice Department has accused United States Investigations Services of submitting background investigations into Edward Snowden that were not reviewed as per agreed standards.

The Justice Department has accused United States Investigations Services (USIS), the private firm that also vetted Edward Snowden before he leaked documents about U.S. spying efforts, of bilking millions of dollars through improper background checks, a court filing showed.

USIS has a contract with the U.S. government since 1996 to vet individuals seeking employment with federal agencies. Such background checks include investigative fieldwork on each application.

The whistleblower lawsuit, filed in July 2011 by a former employee of USIS, is not about the firm's review of Snowden. The lawsuit alleges that USIS failed to perform quality control reviews in connection with its background investigations.

Blake Percival filed the lawsuit under the False Claims Act, which lets people collect rewards for blowing the whistle on fraud against the government.

In a filing made late on Wednesday, the Justice Department (DOJ) said USIS submitted background investigations that were not reviewed as per agreed standards.

DOJ said that due to its fraudulent conduct, USIS received millions of dollars that it otherwise would not have received had the government been aware that the background investigations had not gone through the quality review process required by the contract.

The DOJ said that between March 2008 and September 2012, USIS filed at least 665,000 flawed background checks, which was about 40 percent of the total submissions.

"USIS management devised and executed a scheme to deliberately circumvent contractually required quality reviews of completed background investigations in order to increase the company's revenues and profits," DOJ said in its filing.

The payments to the firm ranged $95 to $2,500, depending on the type of background investigation. The lawsuit requested for a jury trial and seeks to recover treble damages and penalties.

Through a software known as "Blue Zone," USIS was able to quickly make an electronic "Review Complete" notation without fully going through the mandated review process, DOJ said.

"By using Blue Zone, USIS was able to substantially increase the number of background investigations that could be dumped in a short time period," according to the filing.

USIS could not immediately be reached for comment by Reuters outside of regular U.S. business hours.

The case is United States Of America ex rel. Blake Percival vs U.S. Investigations Services, Case No. 11-cv-527, U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama (Northern Division)

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 24 Jan 2014 11:36

duplicate - removed
Last edited by Amber G. on 24 Jan 2014 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 24 Jan 2014 11:36

SSridhar - PB has been on cover of Time, won person of the year award from India abroad (Indian News paper published in US), so I assumed people know it. He is also quite well known for prosecuting people like Faisal Shazad, (Time square Bomber),Ahmed Ghailani,(Al Qaeda U.S. Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania), Affia Siddiqui, and Pakis like, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed...

Paksitani newspaper have come out (then a few years ago) very strongly against him - that he hates pakistan and goes on witch hunt against Pak-americans.. as he went ruthlessly against many Pakis (for example see this: link)

Now he is unpopular in India too, (And perhaps you know that Bharara is on a list released from Putin (Russia) for Americans banned from entering the country over human rights violations.. :!:

Just some information, lot of him on internet, here are few good resources people may find interesting:
Preet Bharara in His Own Words
9/11 Proseecutor

Fast Facts:
• Born in Ferozepur, India, in 1968. His family moved to Monmouth County, New Jersey, two years later.

• Graduated from Harvard University in 1990 and Columbia Law School in 1993. That summer, he spent several weeks as a volunteer for Mark Green's successful campaign for New York City public advocate.

• Worked in private practice until 2000, when he became an assistant U.S. Attorney in New York. Pursued organized crime, including the Colombo and Gambino crime families, as well as drug-trafficking, Wall Street fraud and other crimes.

• Became chief counsel to New York Senator Charles Schumer in 2005 and while in that role helped lead the investigation into the firings of eight U.S. Attorneys under President George W. Bush. Despite working for one of the Senate's most liberal members, the registered Democrat was not considered a strong partisan and won praise for conducting an evenhanded probe. (On his confirmation he got 100% of senate votes - very rare .. personal tidbit - one of my student worked worked with Schumer )

• Sworn in as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York in October after being confirmed by the U.S. Senate in August (he was nominated for the post by President Obama in May). Oversees about 200 lawyers in one of the nation's most high-profile prosecutor positions. Recently brought charges against billionaire Raj Rajaratnam and 19 others in an extensive and ongoing insider-trading probe.

• Married with three young children. In interviews, he has reflected on his family's diverse religious heritage: Sikh (his father), Hindu (his mother), Muslim (his wife's father) and Jewish (his wife's grandfather).

• A fan of fellow Monmouth County resident Bruce Springsteen
( A framed photo Bharara's mother hangs in office - PB often talks very highly of his father and indian roots)

Quotes By:
"
"Four different families, practicing four different faiths — all compelled to flee a half-century ago because of their religion ... Even when my wife fasts for Yom Kippur, and my father-in-law fasts for Ramadan, I get to stuff my face with samosas all day."
— Joking about his family's Jewish, Muslim and Hindu background in a speech to the South Asian Bar Association of New York in 2007 (New York Times, Aug. 9, 2009)

Also his brother Vinnie Bharara is quite rich and famous too ..(sold his company to Amazon.com for about half a billion dollars)
(Small tidbit - PB's mother and Sanjay Gupta's mother were friends and they often compared whose son's are doing better)

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Postby Amber G. » 24 Jan 2014 11:48

habal wrote: Shri PB is going solely after white collar Indians for their perceived crimes.

He has gone against many Pakis but they are not white collar types..

habal
BRF Oldie

Postby habal » 24 Jan 2014 11:57

Indian Sikhs & Indian muslims seem noticeably absent from his list of conquests. Are they under-represented in all areas of financial fraud in manhattan or USA. I am talking of the Sant Singh Chatwal types who also operate in same area as Preetinder Singh ji.

Return to “Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum”