India-US Strategic News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Post by CRamS »

Rony wrote:Microsoft is getting ready to name Satya Nadella as its next CEO, but has yet to confirm.
So? Whats the big deal? How does this benefit India? And I must admit, I don't know anything about this dude.

And also, as one does in statistics, the overwhelming evidence is that most of these NRIs who become CEO or CTO or CFO here there, about whom DDM gloats in their headlines (as if there is no other news to cover in India) are mostly MUTUs and MATAs (otherwise, its tough to even get close to those roles).

Thus, based on that history, if I define the null hypothesis H0: Satya Nadella is a MUTU, is there any evidence based on his statements, attitude etc (from those who know him) to reject the null hypothesis H0? If we fail to reject H0, which means he is either a MUTU or doesn't care much for India other than visiting his family in India, then this news is of little consequence to India US strategic relations.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

TSJones wrote:
While she was putting all the efforts in evacuating SR's family, US diplomats in Benghazi died. Not to mention her stunt did no favor to US diplomats in India.
I find no logic at all in the above statement. Either in time sequence or analogy. Sorry. :(
It places a question upon their sense of priorities. The amount of time and effort spent on firefighting the DK/SR issue could have been better utilized. The episode also cost them the extra security at the embassy in New Delhi. The costs piling up far exceed DK's bail. Extremely poor performance by the Kerry SD so far.
member_26011
BRFite

Post by member_26011 »

Shevgaonkar, Sagar and a few other folks from IIT(D) recently swung around the US in a public tour. The usual mixer happened -- they asked alumnae a specific question; how could you participate better shaping IIT(D) because we don't just want to export students, we want to be a powerhouse ourselves. A pretty Strategic Question leveraging US ties. The discussion started with someone talking about main products, by products and waste products an amazing litany of why it really is shit back there...total MATA Haris. Sagar got pissed and said I am not here to give you therapy, WTF is wrong with you, don't you think we know what's wrong etc. And he has a good point. Better, given where we are to: ask not what your country can do... type of deal.

A few years ago, we finally after many many tea sessions ended up at See-bilauk inside the A/C room at Safdarjung. They highly appreciated the for India by Indians product, the need for it, and they knew all the competing variants, and why what was being proposed was good. In talk, you know chatting. They said, but if FAA accepts it, we will easily get it through. Asked for a radar feed to demonstrate the value, they threw up more foam in the air. There's more confidence at AIAA meetings! This crisis of confidence is of course peeling bit by bit...it can't come fast enough IMHO.
Last edited by member_26011 on 31 Jan 2014 20:05, edited 2 times in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I find no logic at all in the above statement. Either in time sequence or analogy. Sorry. :(
IMO, there's exactly as much logic there as there is in the charge that DK wilfully violated US laws, or any laws.
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

Isn't today (Jan 31st) the day for the prosecutor (Shri Bharara) to respond to DK's plea for case dismissal?
Let us see if Shree Bharara, controls his impulses to teach a lesson to the heathens, and follow his own countries laws, diplomatic commitments and withdraw the case (tantamount to accepting his blunder). Hopefully he will spend the rest of his time focussing on real crimes @wallstreet staring in his face.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

TSJones wrote:
While she was putting all the efforts in evacuating SR's family, US diplomats in Benghazi died. Not to mention her stunt did no favor to US diplomats in India.
Hello TSJ - May be I did not put it the right way. Basically I meant was -

- The stunt here is "evacuation" of SR family. They are no victims of human trafficking, no relatives of any victim who needs US protection, and IMO, in NO WAY it helps US interests. And there is a very real possibility that some US diplomat may come in harms way. The mistreatment of DK was wrong and every action should be taken to protect every diplomat (including US diplomats) from such treatment. New Delhi is quite different than Islamabad ( where US Consulates have literally were burned). There is/was no sane reason to break Indian laws to sprint SR's family and pick a avoidable fight with India. As said the stunt did no favor to

- In Benghazi, initially at least, lot of blame (from SD, and WH) was attributed to a "blasphemous" video which "inflamed" the (otherwise peaceful) mob. Think about it, how helpful is this kind of "expert" advice coming from our experts like Zeya to protect our diplomats. (Zeya, it seems was picked up by SD as an "expert on Islam" - where do you think this "blasphemous" video kind of idea was originated? )
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

AmberG: It may have been you who posted this, or maybe I saw it while searching for other things.

Normally I don't agree with the pov of that site, but in this case.. :mrgreen:
This article by Zeya shows a mission to clear up unattractive images of the prophet Muhammad – things like the the (HoKo) placing men above females. Not so according to Ms. Zeya.
And hey, I agree 400%. It has been proven by fatwa and Hadith on the BENIS dhaga many times, that the order is Believers, Camels, Goats, THEN wimmens.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

CRamS wrote:
Rony wrote:Microsoft is getting ready to name Satya Nadella as its next CEO, but has yet to confirm.
So? Whats the big deal? How does ... NRIs ... DDM ...g MUTUs and MATAs .. [ad absurdum].
If it is no big deal then why hyperventilate and go in a frenzy and start rambling ... MATA's, MUTUS, MITI's like MPTP?
Correct me if I am wrong, but from my counting at least 3417, messages in BRF from you sir, have been about such matters. May be it is time to move on.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I found one ref that said that India has about 50 million college graduates - which is about 4% of the population

I am guesstimating that of 1.3 million Indian Americans about a million are college graduates. Assuming that most are immigrants it would seem that college graduates who make up only 4% in India constitute something like 70% in America.

Now put these figures alongside other figures for Indian Americans - specifically that poverty among Indian Americans is just 15%. That is 85% are not poor.

This only means that the US takes in a very highly filtered set of Indians - mostly college graduates, and they become wealthy, rich and successful in America. Note that one million Indian college graduates in America still leaves behind 98% of the college graduates back in India - so unless we attribute "smartness" to only the 1% who go on to become successful in America, "brain drain" is less of a problem than drain brain.

The experiences and successes in America of college educated and successful Indian Americans cannot be extrapolated to the 1.1 billion Indians who do not have a college education. They cannot go to America and the American experience cannot be replicated for them. The well meaning Indian who experiences America and then returns to India needs to keep these facts in mind before saying that "Anyone can succeed in America because the country allows equality and freedom to do anything for anyone and all that needs to be done is to fiddle with the system and make it like the American system". India is not going to become America ever. India will develop, but its course will be very very different and "development" will be radically different from what is considered "development" in the west. The west of course dubs anything that is not modelled on western society as "undeveloped". For that reason I see India developing in a unique way that will never ever be acknowledged in the west as developed because it will never exactly mimic western development. The latter is my own prediction based on how I see things moving.

Sorry if this is OT
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

The thing is, DGCA conducted an audit early last year, give a list of issues that they found. Some were mainly due to lack of inspectors, and appointing senior pilots in each airline to certify that things are fine in that airline etc. And then, they had a follow up visit in december. And now, just a day before the final communique was received, the GoI decides to open 75 positions in DGCA?? Were they sleeping all this time?

The issue is not just FAA. Last year, Japan had similarly asked for a safety audit, and India told them to go fly a kite. Now, all those countries will start again. See what happened with FDA and Ranbaxy (again Ranbaxy had plenty of warnings). After FDA blacklisted Ranbaxy, now EU and UK are also looking into FDA reports.

It will have a wider ramification than just increasing flights to US.

But better to discuss this in the civil aviation thread I suppose.
member_28380
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28380 »

Of course this would NOT have happened to a muslim diploamt. There would be immediate ringing calls for jihad and Americans respect and fear jihad. They may posture otherwise externally. They don’t have the disdain towards muslims...they have for the timid Hindus. You bet the US Marshall Service knew this was a Hindu woman.

You bet the USMS thugs knew the charges and in their minds they were the judge and jury all combined and wanted to teach a lesson to the “slave owner”. There was no requirement to do a strip search, it is a lie to say so. The lie is ..the strip search had to be done for the safety of every one since she was going to be held with other common criminals. But then do you really think there was no individual cell or private room where she can be held for a few hours? They knew she would be out in a few hours on bail….Clearly this was deliberate and planned.
member_28380
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28380 »

The discussions about establishing an equivalent to Google are interesting..…along the lines of BRICS bank?
Or at least an Indian version of Google?

The propaganda is vicious led by Google ranking of US SD propaganda with their results coming on top.

How much do you believe any of these propaganda outlets anymore? On many international issues where we may not know the real issues and nuances of the conflicts, imagine how much propaganda materials, spins and outright lies are published?

Imagine what an ignorant individual browsing news from NYT will learn from this news headline:

PUBLISHED NYT Headline: School in India ensnared in US diplomatic spat

REAL NEWS: American Embassy School in India caught in tax and visa fraud

And this news item was buried in a few hours, very difficult to locate even.

NYT, WaPo and MSNBC news blog are the top propaganda tools. Comments are not allowed for these hit pieces most of the time. When comments are allowed, frequently registration is blocked or the comments are not published if they contradict the propaganda.

There was a news item yesterday on Russia violating some treaty and testing some missile. After my experience last two months I read this news item with tremendous skepticism. :roll:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

VijayKM wrote: There was a news item yesterday on Russia violating some treaty and testing some missile. After my experience last two months I read this news item with tremendous skepticism. :roll:
In the 1980s, the BBC News at 6 in the UK showed visuals of an Iranian boat with drums that the US boarded claiming they were mines. (They looked like drums to me).

7 PM shortwave radio news from AIR, Delhi stated tat the US had boarded an unarmed Iranian fishing trawler

The truth ultimately is something we must figure out. No news outlet is totally reliable.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the “Positive News from the USA” thread.

The case of the extraordinary rendition of Osama Moustafa Hassan Nasr from Milan. A success story for US efforts to shelter kidnappers:

Italy Convicts 23 Americans for C.I.A. Renditions

Still guilty: Italy upholds verdict against 23 CIA agents in rendition trial

Ex-CIA Milan chief held in Panama over cleric abduction

Panama releases former CIA operative wanted by Italy

And a lesson by the US for Indian Diplomats on respect for human rights :wink:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

VijayKM et al, Please work on a short article with refs of Google's page ranking system.

I suspect its paid news algorithm at the background. Propaganda is a given to give importance to NYT. OTH it also puts Fox News type of conservative opinion at an disadvantage. This being an election year in US it could make some waves.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Who would have known that DK episode would make people learn interesting things...

One can't even make this stuff up..

As many know, (or do not know) Preet Bharara was in the news exactly around the same time as DK's arrest, for winning a well publicized case against Rudy Kurniawan for counter fit wine

(See Link for details : http://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releas ... rfeit-wine

The news was covered by all big newspapers like WSJ, NYT etc, but PB did not get too much lime-light as DK's story occupied most of the media,,,

Now, it seems that there is movie to be made about Dr Conti (Kurniawan) known as Sour Grapes

Interesting publicity PB is getting, NOW even a wine magazine is talking about DK and PB and sour grapes... :mrgreen:

Don't believe me, look at this taza story from a wine academy magazine. (Even wine philosophers don't
care for illegal arrests these days)

Movie: Sour Grapes for Dr. Conti

an 31: Grapes may have gone sour for the California-based master counterfeiter Rudy Kurniawan from Indonesia who was convicted for committing the frauds last month but a film producer has moved with a breakneck speed that would put the Bollywood producers to shame by rolling out a documentary film named ‘Sour Grapes’ the production of which started earlier this month, less than a month after the conviction.

Grapes turned sour forRudy Kurniawan when he was convicted by the 12-person jury last month in a trial that began twenty months after his arrest in March 2012 and lasted barely over a week. The jury returned the ‘guilty’ verdict on December 18 in two hours. Kurniawan faces up to 40 years in prison for making, selling and attempting to sell more than $1m worth of counterfeit wines and fraudulently securing a $3m loan. The trail and verdict was reported in delWine.

Kurniawan was known as 'Dr Conti' for his supposed in-depth knowledge of the renowned Burgundy estate, Domaine de la Romanée Conti (DRC). Co-owner of DRC, Auber de Villaine was of the Burgundy producers whose wines were counterfeited and had travelled to the US to depose against him.

The movie went into production even before the sentencing which has been fixed for 24 April (unless the defence lawyers manage a successful appeal before then, resulting in a retrial). One might have imagined that the producers planned to release the movie on the day of sentencing! But according to Screen Daily, it is expected to be completed by the end of the year only.

Production teams in the UK and France have joined forces for the film being directed by Jerry Rothwell who has previously made documentaries Deep Water and Town of Runners. The film unfolds as a heist thriller in the fine wine collectors market, following the rise and fall of wine fraudster Rudy Kurniawan from Los Angeles and aims to follow his footsteps throughout the wine world.

Rothwell who attended Kurniawan's trial in New York last December, said Sour Grapes is intended for a mainstream audience, despite the niche appeal of some wine-focused films. 'Everyone loves a con, and that side of this story is really compelling,' he said, according to a Report in Decanter. In portraying the rise of Kurniawan and his supposed 'magic cellar' of rare wines, the film aims to depict a 'collision of two worlds' by cutting between rural Burgundian vineyards and the high-rolling lifestyle of fine wine drinkers in New York.

Burgundy wine producer Laurent Ponsot has opened the doors of his winery for filming and has been actively involved in the process. Domaine Ponsot wines, such as its Clos de la Roche, were among those duplicated by Kurniawan in the kitchen sink of hisLos Angeles home often dubbed as the wine factory. Ponsot himself gave evidence in court that helped to convict the Indonesian national.

'My wine knowledge is limited but growing rapidly,' Rothwell says. He says he became interested in Kurniawan around the time of his arrest in March 2012.

It would be interesting to see who plays the role of Preet Bharara, the Indian- American U.S. Attorney for Manhattan who was behind the conviction and who also became infamous in India for his role in the illegal :eek: arrest of Indian Diplomat Devyani Khobragade that resulted in strained relations between India and the US.
:rotfl:
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

UBji-

I am glad that this is getting a little more exposure..

This list may be interesting to look at other articles of our computer whiz and Islam expert (the skill sets of Zeyaji).

The quote you gave, (" shows a mission to clear up unattractive images of the prophet Muhammad – things like the the (HoKo) placing men above females. Not so according to Ms. Zeya") has been shared with Ed Royce, (and a few other senators) at least a few months ago (even before DK's episode- UZ came under radar for her role (as a faithful friend to protect HC etc) before the date line of the article you linked.)

Hopefully another ARB (Accountability Review Board) is set up for "evacuating a drunk driver" episode and this time Ed Roce and company insist that it is more independent than those hand-picked by SD.
(Link: Royce: Time to Review Administration-Picked Review Board ....
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Hello TSJ, hopefully this background may help you understand my logic. All, if you wish, please do read the whole article I am linking below. I am just quoting a few excerpts, but one thing is certain, Kerry and higher-ups on SD ought to have paid attention before someone like UZ was enabled to cause so much friction between India and US, and puts Diplomat's safety in so much danger.

(FYI, the link is a conservative site, Take if FWIW, but do note the date it was published - Jan 2013, an year ago (I do not subscribe to everything it says excepts the facts that can be checked.:) )

Link: Benghazi: Background on Hillary Clinton’s Handpicked Accountability Review Board(UZ and others): The Unanswered Questions
Judicial Watch issued a report on findings on Benghazi from documents received through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). You may be familiar with many of the details below, but don’t miss the background on Thomas Pickering who headed the Accountability Review Board, and the Board’s Executive Secretary Uzra Zeya (see No. 4 below). A few of the links below are my addition to fill in some details of the JW report, which you can read in it’s entirety here.

<snip>

3. Obama and his administration, including Hillary Clinton, immediately blamed the attack on the internet video. By September 28th the administration through the Office of the Director of National Intelligence admitted the attack was “neither spontaneous nor the result of an Internet video. The attack was officially determined to be “a deliberate and organized terrorist attack” carried out by extremists, including some members of al-Qaeda. In her Capitol Hill testimony, Hillary emotionally asked “what difference it makes” an Internet video or whatever, with four Americans dead? I’ve just explained the difference and and it does make a difference.

4. ...ARB investigation, if it can be called that, was handpicked by Clinton. ..

Uzra Zeya served as the Executive Secretary to the Board (yes, she was only the Secretary, but read on). She has served as Deputy Executive Secretaries to Hillary Clinton and Condoleeza Rice.Uzra Zeya is a staff member of the American Educational Trust specializing in Islamic affairs. This article by Zeya shows a mission to clear up unattractive images of the prophet Muhammad – things like the the Koran placing men above females. Not so according to Ms. Zeya. She also authored “How US Islamic Financial Institutions Provide Interest-Free Services.” She ‘produced’ this video (or something – it’s presented as Islam in America – by Uzra Zeya) of a pretty blonde California girl who converted to Islam, never leaves her home without being properly covered, and runs a school for Muslim children.
<snip>

Can we really expect a fair accounting of responsibility ... How much input did Uzra Zeya have as Executive Secretary.
So A question to SD to be asked wrt to SR episode ... How much input did Uzra Zeya had in Evacuation of Drunk Driver
Last edited by Amber G. on 01 Feb 2014 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

shiv wrote:The well meaning Indian who experiences America and then returns to India needs to keep these facts in mind before saying that "Anyone can succeed in America because the country allows equality and freedom to do anything for anyone and all that needs to be done is to fiddle with the system and make it like the American system".
Sorry if this is OT
Shiv ji: Sorry to continue the OT but I don't think that is anybody's case (at least on BRF I see and definitely not my case) theat everybody will succeed in US. Not just college education but either professional (doctors, engineers) education and will and hard work to improve their education will help certainly help. Immigration from India to US (UK is a different case - my wild guess is that your UK experience is coloring this later phenomenon - just like my views of India before I emigrated to US may be coloring my perceptions of India) has started in the earnest from 1980 on-wards and took off in 1990s. Most people who came in 1980-1995 time frame have their citizenship and as soon as they got the citizenship a majority of them would have applied for their parents through whom their minor siblings, who were neither educated not employable in India due to various reasons including from then middle class (now lower middle class) families, forward caste, and average intelligence. These people would have come soon after the parents. Sponsoring person's married (probably older) siblings would have come to US in 1992-present. These married siblings are also not well qualified as they had the same problem as the minor siblings. Most of them would have been working in either clerical or glorified clerical positions (not factory - these are forward caste remember? Otherwise they would not have done non-professional bachelors. Instead they would have gone the route of ITIs/Polytechnics to get an vocational degree and would have worked in factories or construction or lower level service industry. That is why you see those 15% Indams whose incomes are similar to barely high school pass out US born citizens. But still it is not as bad as what they were being paid in India. If both are working and with some decent communication skills they would easily pull in $50-60K per household.

But the tide is turning again now as the ever increasing real estate prices (at least on paper) is helping even just above average people to get certainly Masters (and increasingly Bachelors) degrees in US - but they are coming to departments that are ranked from 50 and lower. Most departments which are ranked 30 or higher in US would be competitive with IITs, NITs, and well known universities in India modulo well-known people. It is indisputable that infra, sports facilities, efficiency (information efficiency that is) is way better in US. In this sense most but not all people who are coming to US are not good enough to get into IITs due to no fault of theirs but just because there are no colleges in India that are able to take intelligent "below average" people and make polish them through inspired teaching/training nor are there any opportunities for them to have gainful well-paying solid middle class jobs.

The million dollar question is how can India benefit from this without begrudging the benefits that are accruing to US in the meantime. It is simply a good busiuness proposition for US and that's why they are doing it. The family reunification category actually lowers the ROI (for US) so to speak, and the reason why they do not want to open the doors completely but at the same time if they discontinue this category, one would see lot more people would return to their homeland. So they just manage by twiddling with the quota numbers country by country basis.

It is just business and there is no place for emotions.

What I am mystified about is what exactly you are proposing Iindia should do so that India can get some benefit out of these people who, as the argument goes, owe something back to India. IMHO, it is not an open and shut case that the expats do owe some thing to India. This is especially true for those who have been passed over because they are from certain social (mind you their economic class is average) class. People who are less meritorious were given seats in professional colleges, had first dibs in jobs (and even promotions, if I remember right).

I would not criticize them for not wanting to defend their brethren back home when they have dome some (perceived) wrong. What I find fault with though is their unwillingness to defend India and its sovereignty especially when it is in their power to do so (as in the case of DCG DK vs. IBDA SR).

But please don't begrudge the entire Indian-American community their success. No problem if you don't want to celebrate. If they want to make wealth for themselves while helping both India and US there should not be any problem, no (provided they are working within both the systems - which excludes putting their noses into political processes or engaging in expressly prohibited activities by either of the countries)?
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 01 Feb 2014 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Wasn't Secy Thomas Pickering at one time US Amby to India too? Was it during Presideint Bush/Secy Condi Rice years?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Shreemanji - wrt <this> I am sorry but honestly, I am clueless, and perhaps not clever enough, to decipher what you said/asked. Unless you were just teasing, let me know your query.

Peace.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

So what happened? Court has spoken? Way past time for the HerOnner and Counsel to show up at the golf course..

AmberG: This is why I said Royce is the right person to receive these things. Royce needs to get things like Kuffar-ul-Wordpressi's summary with references. He is probably not a constituent in Khalif-ornia so cannot send directly to Royce (no point) saying "Look, what a good boy am I!"

Royce is interested in being a Champion of Domestic Workers' Rights. Fine. This case is about GOTUS employees cynically abusing their powers and doing extreme damage to Domestic Workers' causes in the process. And if the enabler of that scam is under the same rock where he he is digging... win-win. 8)

I know TSJ has seen the scam here quite well, and realizes that this has nothing to do with the "Rights" of SR & Co., and that SR was by no stretch of the imagination mistreated.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 01 Feb 2014 02:17, edited 2 times in total.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Amber G. wrote:Shreemanji - wrt <this> I am sorry but honestly, I am clueless, and perhaps not clever enough, to decipher what you said/asked. Unless you were just teasing, let me know your query.

Peace.
There is perhaps a lock, but inquiring eyes can and should still see some activity. If this is hyoooman rights related and the honorable judge has seen it fit not to pour wax over all the envelops, perhaps more. why is there no chronological list of activity/more documents here?

i have not read through 200+ pages, but actual a vs. b in c filed d is neither collected nor analyzed in a single post. all hoopla over what someone *might* do rather than they can do only a,b, or c.
Sravan
BRFite

Post by Sravan »

shiv wrote:
Sravan wrote: Shiv,

Although I agree with most of your posts, there is a stark difference in government aptitude and efficiency when you compare India and US success rates. The efficiency with which work gets done for a highly skilled individual is stupendous in the United States. You are rewarded purely on merit and there is no shota bada admi attitude.

As a entrepreneur living off unemployment insurance, I have no trouble getting meetings with CEOs or filing grants to the National Science Foundation.

I have tried similar efforts in India and it is all about your political pull, bribing or strong arming the government to get your way. The US is in a whole another league when it comes to rewarding knowledge driven merit based ideas. This trend started after the German scientists were poached after World War II.

India on the other hand has failed me miserably numerous times. I can cite many personal examples, however I believe you should take into consideration, the point I bring up. I speak from personal experience, and I believe there is not much recourse other than the RTI act in India.

Simple things like registering a company, or setting up a payment gateway take months wherein it is processed in hours in the United States.

Your point about people leaving the Indian market is not because the US is paved with gold, but it is currently the path of least resistance. Your efforts are augmented and supported by a huge support ecosystem. From deferred legal fees, to the small business government grants to the VC investment that nurtures and stimulates entrepreneurial activity.

India on the other hand has made every single task impossibly hard for me to kick off my ventures there. I have applied for a PAN card, and it's taking over 2 months to get it right.
None of what you say contradicts anything I have said.

The US is the path of least resistance for some people. There are others for whom the resistance is lower in India - you may not have lived that life. India produces about 750,000 engineers a year. Not all are equally competent. And not all are going to get employed in India. But then again not all are going to get to the US either - so the idea that the US is "the path of least resistance" might have been true in your life, but is not true for many others.

For my generation (people who went to the US 30 to 35 years ago) it was easy to shine and actually do an MS in the US along with an assistantship that helped you pay your way through. I know that about 10 years ago students going to the US by and large had to produce bank guarantees of Rs 25 lakh or more as evidence of the means to get past at least one semester. It is probably higher now and I know that the urge to send their kids to the US among some colleagues of mine is satisfied in wealthy families by selling property and in others by taking some big loans and cringing everytime the Rupee falls. So the path of least resistance is paved with debts for many, and is unaffordable for many others.

Someone posted a video link in what it was claimed that the US took away the best brains of many countries - possibly India as well. India produces more brains than the US can absorb. While competent people do go to the US, I know of competent people who remain behind in India as well as incompetents who get to the US. I know many people in both categories,

Among doctors, the US has a very efficient system of slotting in the less competent and less accomplished (but imported) doctors into a system that allows them to work to their level of competence while making them wealthy. But many are simply not anywhere near the degree of smartness and skill of others who never went to the US. The US takes in reasonably smart educated Indians whose early education has been paid for in India by parents and Indian government) and retrains them to fit into a slot in the US. They are then made to believe that they are both the smartest and the best. That is one of the US's "efficiencies".

Some wealthy Indian in some professions do not need to go to the US at all except for sightseeing. There is a subset of Indians who are smart and not all that wealthy for whom going to the US is a good career gamble. There is a third set of Indian who opt out because either they believe the US has nothing to offer them or the price they have to pay to get to the US makes it a path of high resistance.

Despite this the US has a reputation that is far greater than the degree by which it makes a difference to millions of Indians. At least some of them are misguided and the lose out. They need to be told the other side of the story as well. Particularly the fact that the US selectively takes educated Indians - and their success stories attract the illiterate Richards of India and make them prime targets for US perfidy.

The life experiences of starry eyed Indians who go to the US and then suffer from issues that ultimately boil down to race or who suffer other negative consequences also needs to be heard and told before Indians can understand the US. For too long only the success stories have received attention as if the US==success and wealth and happiness for everyone who goes there.
Shiv,

I'm talking about things from a perspective of Indians who grew up in the US and studied in the US from a young age who want to help out India. It is next to impossible for us to come to India and apply our skills to do good. I am trained from a young age to be impatient and expect immediate gratification when it comes to government services. Waiting 3 hours to get my vehicle registration is "too long" for me. Indians coming to the USA on a student visa, indeed live a difficult life. I have friends and family in this situation and am not arguing with you there. Their perception of the US is completely wrong, and I agree that they might have foreseen a path to immediate wealth. However they did struggle and completed their Masters and are now in comfortable positions. I'm not comparing jobs between India and US, I'm comparing efficiency of services and the nurturing ecosystem for entrepreneurial activities in both countries.

Getting back to the topic, to nurture true success in India, the country needs to have accountability for lapses and failures. I will give you a cookie cutter example. I work on projects for the Indian Railways. I developed a driver display unit from scratch catering to Indian trains to make them safer and internet connected, incurring thousands of dollars of expenses to deploy something in India for the benefit of Indian people. The Indian government is the only thing standing in my way towards deploying something of interest to the Indian people. They defer our requests to move forward for months on end, they exhaust me of my patience to do business in India.

Compare this to an experience I have in the USA. I get immediate feedback and all the resources are available to me as a citizen. It's a matter of attitude and laziness and lack of accountability in India that is the root of all problems. The citizen's acceptance of the current state of things facilitates this further. Step one to solving it, is to be humble and accept there is a problem. Merit is not appreciated in India, political pull and bribery gets one further on a shitty product than a product one or two generations ahead for the same price. In the railway example, they keep deferring an internet connected human machine interface and keep procuring 1980's serial based DOS system although both systems are offered for the same price and have undergone the same certification procedures. Additionally, no documentation was provided to us, the simulator was sabotaged by the previous supplier and the whole thing is a 10 million dollar scam. The railway employees also didn't know what they were doing. Sometimes we would get wrong information.

I recently filed an RTI, wherein the chief electrical guy tells me they have only commissioned 15 units, when I know they have been giving unit orders of 200-300 items per year over the last few years.

Now you tell me how I should react based on my experience thus far. The US average Joe doesn't go through the same problems. I'm not arguing there is no corruption in the United States, it just doesn't affect day to day activities of citizens. America damn well makes sure it's citizens are happy and goes to extreme lengths to protect them. For India to demand respect, that intrinsic attribute needs to be there in governance.

I got a meeting with a Senator by filling out a simple web form. The entire process took 2 weeks and no money exchanged hands. Would this happen in India?
Last edited by Sravan on 01 Feb 2014 03:09, edited 2 times in total.
Sravan
BRFite

Post by Sravan »

Shreeman wrote:
May I please be let out to see sunlight again for a while?

Sravan's post presents a view of US industry and R&D no different than the defence of hyuuman rights front seen elsewhere.

And Sravan would greatly benefit from the positive news if he is just miguided and not intentionally eulogizing.
What I am talking about has nothing to do with human rights. I'm simply talking about efficiency and accountability in Indian governance.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

I agree with Sravan on the point that it takes quite a bit of time and money to start a company in India where as it is exactly 1/2 a days job in US. Learnt it through first hand experience. My Iindian accountant told me that most small business startups would exhaust most of their money and time even before the company is registered. By then either they run out of money or patience and the need for their product/service is filled up by a big familial business houses.
Sravan
BRFite

Post by Sravan »

Shreeman wrote:
UlanBatori wrote:What Sravan says is accurate.
No it is not. Was, no longer is. Has not been for 10 years.

Sravan says: It works for me.
I say: healthcare.gov (yes, wrong place etc, again!)

Sravan says: PAN card...
I say : quality of service, for comparable cost. spend $4 in India instead of Rs 1/60 and see. not a corruption problem there. some safeguards are needed. dont wear dhoti in atlanta (you know rome/romans/...))

Sravan says: NSF SBIR, CEO....
I say: peanuts, and no contest even in peanuts. wear a helmet before pricing a cake in the US. UB - can defend this. By comparison, research/development money is coming out of every orifice in every other country including india via regular methods and much faster. Read a SBIR grant in the US? Most are not worth wiping a puppy's behind. And that after trying to use slave graduate student labor. Scam is the right word. (there is the wrong place, again)

Compare with Denmark and I will be quiet. Use the vocabulary in previous posts for US vs. something and its blind evangelism. There was a 200 year period, it ended last decade.

Most always the problem in dealing with India is 1=1 translation of expectations without wanting to accomodate the unfavorable 1:3 population and involved inerests ratio. You will meet 9x hurdles (the rest from geography). Expect and deal with them, success should not be handed on a plattter of loans and deals and access. That is what ended the 200 year period.

An example does not make a theory either way. No use glorifying or putting down either side.

Rest of UBs post is on target, on either side or for anywhere else. India really was trying to shine when the slogan was coined. Another 50 years should take care of it even given the hiccups.
------
ot -- What is with the snow bujiness, just a bad mayor or worse?
Shreeman, I have spent $54 dollars using registered express mail from the US because the PAN card facility doesn't allow digital signatures and applied through a CA. The reply took 2 months and it was a rejection. I applied again paying $54, getting a social security number is free in the United States. You don't pay anything and get it on the same day if the proper documentation certifies the individual.

Setting up a payment gateway in India for a simple web business takes over 1 month. With PayPal you can do it in 10 minutes. See the order of magnitude difference. Simple things that shouldn't be complicated take much longer than they need to.

Here is another example, go to any five star or expensive restaurant in India. You will have overstaffed servers, one guy takes your order, one guy who comes in between and takes another order, and eventually they play telephone and mess up your order. This has happened to me on 4 different occasions during the course of one week in Delhi. In some circumstances, the order had extra items which we didn't order, and when I raised an issue the server initially disagreed but then removed the items. If the same event, happened in the US the restaurant would be closed the next day. The lackadaisical attitude of Indians towards dishonesty and scams is the true problem. Citizens need to be fiercely aggressive in getting what they want and what they deserve based on what they pay. The basic problem is obfuscation of responsibility.

Your rights belong to you by birth right. So as Indians, they should be exercised. Please don't find excuses such as population or geographic hurdles. Own the problem and solve it, period. No excuses.

I also run a RTI filing engine in India. I am the co-founder of that company, so I have very detailed insight into the day to day problems which Indians face. Many of the issues revolve around basic services. I am doing my part in helping India, even though I'm an American citizen. What excuse do you have for accepting the current state of things?
Last edited by Sravan on 01 Feb 2014 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

AOA!
If the same event, happened in the US the restaurant would be closed the next day.
U clearly have not patronized the "Anarkali" Paki restaurant in Ulan Bator. Oh, well, come to think of it, they are closed, never mind. But "The Palace" is open, very desi indeed. They avoid the above problem with a clear policy: When you go into the restaurant, the "waiters" live up to their name: They just wait around, staring at you. No smile, no greeting. 8)
Sravan
BRFite

Post by Sravan »

UlanBatori wrote:AOA!
If the same event, happened in the US the restaurant would be closed the next day.
U clearly have not patronized the "Anarkali" Paki restaurant in Ulan Bator. Oh, well, come to think of it, they are closed, never mind. But "The Palace" is open, very desi indeed. They avoid the above problem with a clear policy: When you go into the restaurant, the "waiters" live up to their name: They just wait around, staring at you. No smile, no greeting. 8)
Tell me more about your experiences there. I'm just saying as a customer you can choose to exercise your rights to complain and actions will be taken. Shitty service is not as bad as putting artificial items you didn't order on your bill.

There is a US law that says if an item at the department store is mislabeled at a lower price, it must be sold at that price if the customer expects to pay the lower price. Because when the customer is transacting the item, they were expecting to pay the price on the label. Would this consumer right ever be considered in India?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Oh, believe me, we didn't complain, Supreme HQ and I just laughed. Actually I asked them if it was OK with them if I sat down somewhere, then decided to go outside and wait until the rest of our gang showed up. And got others to laugh. Told the waiters to learn to smile. Did leave them a tip, too. I happen to know that those waiters are actually very articulate ppl when they come to their cultural events, they just have had no training in how to be a waiter, poor guys. But I don't mean to disagree with your theme, sravan. I am not that hot on the Unbiased Totally Merit-Based etc nature presumed of Americans: many of the ones I know are as mean sumb1tches as any corrupt desi babus. That includes Journal Editors, NASA managers, industry managers, car dealers, salesmen, technicians, professors, researchers, ...... u name it. No different from ppl from anywhere else in the world. In fact some of the nicest and most honest ppl I have met are Africans and Chinese, but no stereotyping pls. :mrgreen: And then there's this Nigerian General's son who keeps emailing me offering to deposit $4B in my bank account, can u beat that for nicety, I ask u?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Would this consumer right ever be considered in India?
Most stores I know state very clearly that accidental mislabeling will not be considered to impose any obligation. The customer can simply not transact the transaction, that's all. Sorry. There was this BMW750 that had a sticker on it saying $29.99... :((
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

UlanBatori wrote:Perfect ishtorm - .
:rotfl:
It did make the world news though..if you have not watched it..
enjoy
(Lindsey Graham predicts the world's end..he does know about Jorjiya..)
Last edited by Amber G. on 01 Feb 2014 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

UlanBatori wrote:So what happened? Court has spoken? Way past time for the HerOnner and Counsel to show up at the golf course..

AmberG: This is why I said Royce is the right person to receive these things. Royce needs to get things like Kuffar-ul-Wordpressi's summary with references. He is probably not a constituent in Khalif-ornia so cannot send directly to Royce (no point) saying "Look, what a good boy am I!"

Royce is interested in being a Champion of Domestic Workers' Rights. Fine. This case is about GOTUS employees cynically abusing their powers and doing extreme damage to Domestic Workers' causes in the process. And if the enabler of that scam is under the same rock where he he is digging... win-win. 8)

I know TSJ has seen the scam here quite well, and realizes that this has nothing to do with the "Rights" of SR & Co., and that SR was by no stretch of the imagination mistreated.
Yes indeed! I know how to treat servants that demand back pay for extra hours worked. I'll file charges against them and their family back home. Plus they're abusing their pass port! I ain't no dummy, I learn, I learn.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

^^ 12 years a slave just shows how well you could treat any uppity servants. Legal shmegal, blah! What do those idiot Injuns know, dots not feathers, all the same, inefficient third worlders. Donno about nuthin', no sirree!!
Sravan
BRFite

Post by Sravan »

UlanBatori wrote:
Would this consumer right ever be considered in India?
Most stores I know state very clearly that accidental mislabeling will not be considered to impose any obligation. The customer can simply not transact the transaction, that's all. Sorry. There was this BMW750 that had a sticker on it saying $29.99... :((
The law states that if the price is labeled $x and it rings up as dollar $y, the store has to charge you the lower price. It's not up to the store to decide, you can take up a lawsuit as per consumer protection laws.

http://couponsinthenews.com/2013/08/28/ ... n-purpose/

So if you see a 75% off sale with a $20 price tag and expect to pay $5. if the charge rings up as $15 and you are supposed to pay $5 as per the sign, the store must honor that lower payment.
Sravan
BRFite

Post by Sravan »

UlanBatori wrote:Oh, believe me, we didn't complain, Supreme HQ and I just laughed. Actually I asked them if it was OK with them if I sat down somewhere, then decided to go outside and wait until the rest of our gang showed up. And got others to laugh. Told the waiters to learn to smile. Did leave them a tip, too. I happen to know that those waiters are actually very articulate ppl when they come to their cultural events, they just have had no training in how to be a waiter, poor guys. But I don't mean to disagree with your theme, sravan. I am not that hot on the Unbiased Totally Merit-Based etc nature presumed of Americans: many of the ones I know are as mean sumb1tches as any corrupt desi babus. That includes Journal Editors, NASA managers, industry managers, car dealers, salesmen, technicians, professors, researchers, ...... u name it. No different from ppl from anywhere else in the world. In fact some of the nicest and most honest ppl I have met are Africans and Chinese, but no stereotyping pls. :mrgreen: And then there's this Nigerian General's son who keeps emailing me offering to deposit $4B in my bank account, can u beat that for nicety, I ask u?
Case and point about their merits as waiters, thanks for proving my case. You are excusing their poor service. As a customer, you don't owe them their jobs. You are expected to be given a service based on what you pay. There is a difference between getting cheated in a negotiation vs paying $x for Y service.

Power dynamics come into play with you are trying to solidify the grey area of a relationship. I agree with you that when you deal with those situations, Indian Americans might be discriminated against. One example of such case is the Oracle pay scandal. In the case of the employee, there is an active lawsuit wherein the corporation and individual have the right to defend themselves.

But what I'm getting at is that there are checks and balances where action is taken to protect individuals. Your basic human rights delayed is the same thing as your human rights voided. That is where India fails on multiple fronts. It is not due to capital or lack there of. It is internal roadblocks which block that from happening, so the poor remain poor and those in power can amass ridiculous amounts of wealth. That exploitation is rampant in India (chota, bada aadmi attitude needs to go away).

Being jingoistic doesn't solve any problems, ruthless self scrutiny leads to accelerated improvement. That's the direction I'm trying to steer this conversation. Let's talk about the preventative solutions rather than trying to examine the extent of fall outs whenever a new scam, a diplomatic spat or various other issues hit the spotlight.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

>>>Being jingoistic doesn't solve any problems, ruthless self scrutiny leads to accelerated improvement.

Something clearly lacking in the cowboys of 'Murrica when they go out to civilize the heathens who OMG are underpaying the poor low class untouchable (errm facts be darned) etc.. (judging by how this entire event unfolded).

>>It is internal roadblocks which block that from happening, so the poor remain poor and those in power can amass ridiculous amounts of wealth. That exploitation is rampant in India (chota, bada aadmi attitude needs to go away)

And clearly, in the US, the poor don't remain poor and those in power dont amass ridiculous amounts of wealth. And nor is there exploitation. And nor is there a chota, bada aadmi attitude. (PS: Whom are you kidding if you think this?)

>>That's the direction I'm trying to steer this conversation.

Thats all very well, but on BRF its called "open fly torn shirt" game. Irrespective of how India is (and being Indian i experience the frustrations daily), it does not mean whatever the other side does is correct either.

The usual tactic to underplay India's grievances is the usual "ah you dirty/dumb/inefficient Indians, y'all are never gonna improve". Or "y'all must improve". Irrespective of that, it still doesn't mean what the other side did was correct either.
Sravan
BRFite

Post by Sravan »

Karan M wrote:>>>Being jingoistic doesn't solve any problems, ruthless self scrutiny leads to accelerated improvement.

Something clearly lacking in the TSJs of ze world when they go out to civilize the heathens who OMG are underpaying the poor low class untouchable (errm facts be darned) etc..

>>That's the direction I'm trying to steer this conversation.

Thats all very well, but on BRF its called "open fly torn shirt" game. Irrespective of how India is, it does not mean whatever the other side does is correct either.

The usual tactic to underplay India's grievances is the usual "ah you dirty Indians, y'all are never gonna improve".

It still doesn't mean what the other side did was correct either.
Karan,

I'm not saying the US is correct in this diplomatic situation. I'm saying focus on bigger problems that can remove those arguments off the table. In entrepreneurship, you have something called A/B testing or even choice modeling if you are testing multiple variables in a single test. You basically study and analyze various use cases over multiple instances and you arrive at a conclusion about product market fit. Then you alter your product to become more efficient at conversion rates, more efficient at solving the customer needs and various other metrics are optimized to improve the overall quality of service.

I'm saying that feedback is almost non-existant in India. 65 years of testing shows really inefficient results. It's better to fail fast and reinvent your product to ensure product market fit. This also applies to governance, if the current system doesn't work, then change it. There have been some key course corrections (telecom revolution, green revolution, RTI act) but not at a granular level that makes sense. If people are absconding India for the US, make India a better place to live than the US. Don't talk about the hardships those students face in the US. That is irrelevant to the initial departure from India. There is no tactic or underlying agenda here. What I am saying is very simple and straight forward. India needs to be fixed and it's currently broken. He said, she said is irrelevant. The citizen's ability to make excuses to defend a broken system is not an answer to the problem, but rather an initiative to fix that system is. Citizens will always be opportunists. If you analyze human psyche, it's me first, us later. I'm suggesting we use the me first psyche to India's advantage and put pressure on the government to improve. The RTI act is a good first step, but there needs to be more scrutiny and transparency in the current system.

The feedback loop doesn't currently exist or is not taken into account when forming policy. The government is simply coming up with arbitrary laws or doesn't do anything leading to gross inefficiencies. These are the flaws in Indian governance and it has nothing to do with how the USA operates. The USA has it's own flaws, but it has a feedback loop for course correction. Therefore it can react faster and in a more elegant way than India can. Once those mechanisms are in place in India, I can see the situation changing for the better.
Last edited by Sravan on 01 Feb 2014 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Sravan wrote: I also run a RTI filing engine in India.
Sravan, you simply intend to eulogize/complain.

I am not let out to argue, nor use broad brushes, nor paint in dark colors.

Good work is good work regardless of where it is done. Those complaints are so minor my old eyes wont read them.

And I say the same to matrimc, there are no direct comparisons possible sometimes. what you want is the same that a hundred very bad people want too. This creates a TSA everywhere.

The equivalent of RTI is freedom of information act (FOIA). Have you been certificated in that yet? Any personal experiences or recent news come to mind? Do you know how one can get around it or if people do? Its use or value?
Cost or time?

The rest of comparisons/complaints already have direct answers aleady here, but give it time, things may be explained even more simply or they may not. bigger (and better by your definition) systems also have bigger problems. I would rather you never see them. but who knows the future.
Sravan
BRFite

Post by Sravan »

Shreeman wrote:
Sravan wrote: I also run a RTI filing engine in India.
Sravan, you simply intend to eulogize/complain.

I am not let out to argue, nor use broad brushes, nor paint in dark colors.

Good work is good work regardless of where it is done. Those complaints are so minor my old eyes wont read them.

And I say the same to matrimc, there are no direct comparisons possible sometimes. what you want is the same that a hundred very bad people want too. This creates a TSA everywhere.

The equivalent of RTI is freedom of information act (FOIA). Have you been certificated in that yet? Any personal experiences or recent news come to mind? Do you know how one can get around it or if people do? Its use or value?
Cost or time?

The rest of comparisons/complaints already have direct answers aleady here, but give it time, things may be explained even more simply or they may not. bigger (and better by your definition) systems also have bigger problems. I would rather you never see them. but who knows the future.
Shreeman,

It is the citizen's right to complain. The government should fear its people. The specific problem I'm stating is the complacency of the average Indian citizen. They see government as this amorphous cloud that governs them. However it is a group of individuals and the citizens have a right to know who is accountable for what.

We are going to use the FOIA requests soon. However a lot of the data is readily available through the open data APIs provided by the US government. For example, I was able to catalogue the federal government expenditure over the last couple years using a simple python script: http://askgov.info/us/federal_spending.php