Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Sep 22, 2011

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Sep 22, 20

Post by Prem »

Pork Roar
Any US attack on militants unacceptable: Pasha
ISLAMABAD: US military action against insurgents in Pakistan would be unacceptable and the country’s army would be capable of responding, intelligence chief Ahmed Shuja Pasha told a meeting of political leaders in Islamabad, according to media reports.Several television news reports said Pasha had told an all-party meeting to discuss the crisis in ties between Washington and Islamabad that Pakistan would not allow the situation to get to a “point of no return”.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Lashkar also Pak proxy, says Mullen
Departing US chairman of the joint chiefs of staff Mike Mullen is not only sticking to every word of his testimony on the Haqqani network, he has now said Pakistan uses Lashkar-e-Taiba, a terrorist outfit targeting India, as a proxy. Mullen told a radio interviewer on Wednesday that Pakistan supports “insurgent groups and proxies” and that a group that has been supported “historically” is Lashkar — an outfit responsible for the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Looks like Mullen has taken truth serum!

One truth after the other is coming from him!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Just a thought folks. Not important or anything.

For years we have read about two countries that have some disagreement and one of both need to make alliances with other nations to tide over a crisis caused by such disagreements.

For example Israel has needed alliances against Arabs, US needing an alliance with China to bring down the USSR. Typically these alliances are agreements, statements of support and treaties which send a signal to the other party that says "You are now messing with an alliance, not just a single country". But in all these years I have never read about any country other than Pakistan resorting to colorful hyperbole and rhetoric such as "Taller than the tallest mountain, deeper than the depest ocean, sweeter than honey, stronger than steel"

Now I am unaware of the history of the tarrel/deepel rhetoric, but somehow (instinctively) I feel that it actually originated in China. It was the Chinese who first described the Pakistan China relationship as tarrel/deepel. I have no proof and would be lad to be corrected if wrong. But the Paks certainly latched on to the rhetoric with gusto. I think that the "Sweeter than honey, stronger than steel" is a Zardari addition to the original. Somehow "tarrel deepel" sounds Chinese to me and this sweet honey business has Indic overtones and sounds to me like a Paki concoction. Any takers for such a theory?

But the absurdity goes beyond that. Like I said - alliances are announced to the world by formal statements and declarations, not by hype. And certainly not be one sided hype where the leader from one side says something and the other side does not confirm beyond cursory acknowledgement. At least twice in the last 6 months we have seen Pakis go ballistic with the hype about relations with China. And both times China has (to me) appeared almost embarrassed to respond. I mean how would you feel if a whore you once frequented waits till you get married and then fills your home with lovesick letters and Valentine gifts?

It seems to me that the Pakis are posturing in a unique way. The Pakis have actually carved for themseves a unique place in the world by doing such stuff. Never before. never again
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

Shiv-ji, I am not exactly suggesting a copyright violation here, but perhaps some small credit should be offered where due... :lol: exactly what I also said a few posts back....

Pak-China relationship is not just a story of one-sided unrequited love, it is also slavish love on one side and contempt bordering on disgust on the other side, especially at people to people level. You are using the example of whore I, IIRC, used the example of a lab assistant handling stool sample - they are doing it for business, not that they are in love with stool. That does not mean they bring the sample home to be proudly exhibited to their family. The disgust for beards and their obsession with religion extends amongst common populace in China, HK and other Chinese societies...where over the surface religion is basically non-existent unless you are talking of the god in green-back. Same with Pakbaric anmalistan - China relationship. Pakistan's utility is in being trouble maker visavis India and Unkil. No more..

That is why I also say India has to rise the cost of this relationship so that one fine morning Comrade Lee/Jiang/Ho or whoever wakes up and smells the sh.t.
Karna_A
BRFite

Post by Karna_A »

ramana wrote:Looks like Mullen has taken truth serum!

One truth after the other is coming from him!
Mullen is going to get Ambassadorship for UK after his retirement and hence this late life posturing.
Administration needs a strong man in UK to keep tabs on European terrorism threat, and who better than Mullen. Who knows, he may even get a Paris assignment which is a dream for most American officials.
Pussyfoots get no re-assignments, Patreous and Panetta are solid examples.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Suppiah wrote:Shiv-ji, I am not exactly suggesting a copyright violation here, but perhaps some small credit should be offered where due... :lol: exactly what I also said a few posts back....

Pak-China relationship is not just a story of one-sided unrequited love, it is also slavish love on one side and contempt bordering on disgust on the other side, especially at people to people level. You are using the example of whore I, IIRC, used the example of a lab assistant handling stool sample - they are doing it for business, not that they are in love with stool. That does not mean they bring the sample home to be proudly exhibited to their family. The disgust for beards and their obsession with religion extends amongst common populace in China, HK and other Chinese societies...where over the surface religion is basically non-existent unless you are talking of the god in green-back. Same with Pakbaric anmalistan - China relationship. Pakistan's utility is in being trouble maker visavis India and Unkil. No more..

That is why I also say India has to rise the cost of this relationship so that one fine morning Comrade Lee/Jiang/Ho or whoever wakes up and smells the sh.t.
some thoughts here
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 5#p1171565
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

APC hints at talks with militants

In an apparent paradigm shift in the country’s security policy, the nation’s top political and military leadership has decided to hold peace talks with all militant groups, apparently including the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

http://tribune.com.pk/story/263682/righ ... militants/
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... er/245691/
According to the Kainat family's account, the tribal elders declared her kari, (which literally means black female), for losing her virginity outside marriage.In Pakistan, women and men who have illicit relationships or women who lose their virginity before marriage are at risk of paying with their lives."These are matters of honor and the leaders call a jirga and they declare that the woman or the couple should be killed," said Abdul Hai, a veteran field officer for the Human Rights Commission in Pakistan. These acts of violence are most commonly labeled as "honor killings."The most recent report from the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan noted that in 2009 roughly 46 percent of all female murders in Pakistan that year were in the name of "honor." The report noted that a total of 647 incidences of "honor killings" were reported by the Pakistani press. However, experts say that actual incidences of "honor killings" in Pakistan are much higher and never get reported to the police because they are passed off by the families as suicides.Kainat said that despite the pressures her family refused to kill her."It is the tradition, but if the family doesn't permit it, then it won't happen. My father, my brother, my mom didn't allow it," she said.And that defiance has left the family fearing for their lives. The family's new home in Karachi has been attacked a number of times.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

http://thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail ... 204&Cat=13

Hina complains her point of view was ignored in US
Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar complained in the All Parties Conference that she held over three-hour-long meeting with Hillary Clinton but only America’s point of view was disseminated among the media while Pakistani point of view was not told to anyone which put Pakistan on the backfoot.
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

Ooooh, the Pakis and its PeeTV can indeed produce scary videos. I saw this, and I crapped in my shalwar pronto, the lilting tune and music notwithstanding...

From the WSJ. It is straight from Ayub's audio speech to the Pakis in 1965:
dushmanooo!! dushmanoo!! kis quom ko tum ne lal kaaraa hai,

...quoran hai roshan unke seeno main, allah ka jinko saharaa hai,
...jhuk jaa taa hai palak, hiltee hai zameen (aerial image of Pentagon here :eek: :eek: even the WSJ report comments on this )
Yo kaffironn, yeh kis quom ko tum neh lal kaaraa hai,
tara la la tara la la laaa
kis quom ko tum neh lal kaaraa hai
Note that at every mention of dushmanoo in the video, there is perfectly timed the image of Mullen and Panetta.

Pakistan Students Show Anger at U.S.

The same video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... sFGA5qblms
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The Sno-Pak relationship will endure not because China will support Pak,but because Pak is a rent-boy who will slavishly lick Chinese backsides in order to spite India.China will try to rope Pak in so that its behaviour remains just within limits of respectability,but constantly engaged in a proxy war against India.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Many on this board never thought a day like this will come when US will directly accuse TSP of terrorism. At least not this soon. So I have my reservations on the longevity of chinkil-TSP relationship. Apart from posturing for regional politics I doubt chinese have the willingness to go to war for protecting TSP. It is all part of smoke & mirror to confuse unkil. The real trump cards for TSP are the supply chain and effectiveness of Haqqani network. Take away either of them and you weaken TSP's hold on unkil. Short of that tarrell than montain fliendship etc are bull$hit that add to the noise.
Lekhraj
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Lekhraj »

China can go to offensive against India to protect Pakis. For going to War with India, India needs to respond like in a war. That is unlikly against China.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

jrjrao wrote:Ooooh, the Pakis and its PeeTV can indeed produce scary videos. I saw this, and I crapped in my shalwar pronto, the lilting tune and music notwithstanding...

...jhuk jaa taa hai palak, hiltee hai zameen (aerial image of Pentagon here :eek: :eek: even the WSJ report comments on this )
Note that at every mention of dushmanoo in the video, there is perfectly timed the image of Mullen and Panetta.

The same video is here:

The song is from Tassawar Khanum, in her own words she is "a good looking singer :rotfl: with good voice sang lots of Urdu and Punjabi songs in Pakistani films and on TV between 70' and 80's."

Anyway the song was released on 4th Dec, 1971, so one can somehow get a slight hint for whom it was composed. The lyrics of the song are

Code: Select all

Dushmano! tum ne us Qaum ko lalkara hai
Lalkara hai..............................Lalkara hai
Ka'aba hai jin ki jabeenon mai
Quran hai jin ke seenon mai
Allah ka dil ko shara hai
                         Hum jab Hilali parcham ko lehra ke qadam barhatay hain 
                         Jhukta hai falak hilti hai zameen, Khud aan bhi khud gir jatay hain
                         Baatil ka naam mita dena dunya mai kaam hamara hai
Kafiro! tum ne us Qaum ko lalkara hai
                         Abbas-o-Kahlid-o-Tariq ki talwaron ki jhankaar hain hum
                         Dushman ko mitanay ki khatir shamsheer bakaf tayyar hain hum
                         Hur hukm-e-Khuda,Farmaan-e-Nabi(S.A.W) hamain apni jan se pyara hai
Buzdilo! tum ne kis qaum ko lalkaara hai
                         Har Momin ko har Ghazi ko rehmat ka sahara hota hai
                         Hum naam-e-Ali jab letay hain maidan hamara hota hai
                         chahay Mashriq ho ya Maghrib ho hum sab ka aik hi naara hai
Allah ka dil ko shara hai

Singer     : Tasawwur Khanum & chorus
Poet        : Fayyaz Hashmi
Release   : 4th Dec 1971
Radio Pakistan Lahore
Anyway I'm happy that the Americans too are getting to know the sheer artistic talent in Pakistan a bit better!
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

http://www.economist.com/node/21531042
Snake country
The Pakistani army’s complex relationship with jihadists
CLUTCHING a glass of distinctly un-Islamic whisky, a retired senior Pakistani official explains at a drinks party in Islamabad, the capital, that his country has no choice but to support the jihadist opposition in Afghanistan. The Indians are throwing money at their own favourites in Afghanistan, he says, and the Russians and Iranians are doing the same. So Pakistan must play the game too. “Except we have no money. All we have are the crazies. So the crazies it is.”
Nothing new for BRFites in this article except the interesting title.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Lying liars and the lies they tell

Cyril Almeida
Posted in full from Dawn.
IF the US is the 800-pound gorilla that stamps on itself, Pakistan is like a python which thinks it’s crushing its prey but is really asphyxiating itself.

For a couple of days after Mullen’s Haqqanis-are-a-veritable-arm-of-the-ISI allegation last week, it looked like the Americans had finally achieved the improbable: synchronising their tough talk against Pakistan.

In the wake of the Kabul embassy attack, it even made sense why the improbable had materialised: a psychological red line had been crossed by the Afghan militants and the US needed to snarl and snap until the war settled back into a low-level attritional framework.

But the improbable — getting a diverse American foreign and military policy cohort to speak as one, especially when it comes to Pakistan — is actually more like the impossible. Within days, the ‘full-court press’ has started to look like the bench press of a 99-pound weakling.

Mullen didn’t really mean what he said, the Americans began to suggest, the evidence is more like intelligence, it doesn’t really go that far. Yes, the mood is very emotional in DC and in Pakistan, but there’s still work to be done so let’s focus on that, they’ve been saying.

It’s not quite kiss-and-make-up, more an awkward one-armed hug.

The relationship will continue, intelligence cooperation over the capture of yet another Al Qaeda No 3 will be interspersed with spasmodic events like WikiLeaks, Raymond Davis, the OBL raid and the Mullen allegations.

Pressure will mount, pressure will subside, there’ll be paroxysms at times of unhappiness, circumspection at times of measured success and the ungainly and clumsy contraption that is the American policymaking apparatus will continue to make life for itself even more difficult when it comes to Pakistan.

As for the Pakistani side, expect more of the same, i.e. the same cockamamie nonsense that it has propounded for decades.

Part of the reason Pakistan commands so little respect in the world of diplomacy and international relations is that the self-appointed custodians of the national interest are inveterate liars.

The public at large may no longer be aware of this because it has been drip-fed those lies over the years and now trots them out as truth and reality when overcome by bouts of fist-waving, chest-thumping nationalism and patriotism. But the outside world is fully aware of the lies, and it does hurt Pakistan in ways perceptible and imperceptible.

Having thrust the civilians into the foreground to make the same old tired case for Pakistan this time, the same old tired lies are being repeated. They were on display again at the APC.

Pakistan wants peace and security and prosperity. Pakistan rejects all allegations against it. Pakistan is a big cuddly toy that can do harm. The outside world misunderstands Pakistan. Pakistan has sacrificed much for the cause of peace. Pakistan is just a boy, standing in front of the world, asking it to love him.

Nobody believes it. Not the Americans, not the Europeans, not the Arabs, not even the Taliban. Mullah Zaeef has memorably said: “Pakistan … is so famous for treachery that it is said they can get milk from a bull. They have two tongues in one mouth, and two faces on one head so they can speak everybody’s language; they use everybody, deceive everybody.”

If outsiders aren’t to be believed, there is a quintessential insider who has said much the same thing that others have long accused Pakistan of.

Riaz Khan, former foreign secretary, has a chapter in his new book on Afghanistan and Pakistan in which he expounds on what he has dubbed the ‘intellectual crisis’ of Pakistan. The chapter is essential reading for anyone who wants to understand, in 60-odd pages, what has gone wrong here over the last 64 years, and particularly the last 30 some.

Given the overwrought and over-the-top theatre of the last week, it is worth reproducing a couple of paragraphs.

Riaz writes: “Yet another concern is the regressive tendency Pakistani thinking has shown towards an easy resort to denial.

This habit has its roots in the convenient myth of non-interference in Afghanistan’s affairs Pakistan maintained during the period of the Afghan jihad in the 1980s.

“[Denial of interference in Afghanistan’s affairs, of Pakistan’s nuclear programme in the 1980s and of support to the Kashmir insurgency in the 1990s] were issues of high national policy on which all states adopt positions in conformity with their national interests. However, issues of lesser import such as the presence of Osama or Mullah Omar or cross-border activity by Afghan Taliban from the Pakistani side did not warrant such categorical denials as were initially maintained in official
statements. A matter-of-fact or noncommittal position, taking into account the peculiar condition of the border regions, could do no damage, politically and diplomatically.”

He adds: “When such denials become untenable, they result in a loss of credibility, a situation that ought to be avoided. Again it bears repetition that a state of denial is not peculiar to Pakistan. It is a question of degree and loss of credibility, to the point where even the denial of fairytales becomes suspect.”

Sift through the public bombast and posturing and bristling of the last week and Riaz Khan’s diagnosis becomes all the more poignant. In the face of external aggression, most countries rally to see off the threat. Nothing unusual there.

But it’s been a strange week, even by Pakistani standards. The Haqqanis have practically been embraced as one of our own.

What was once an establishment in denial has become a country in denial. And where previously we were lying to outsiders, now we are lying to ourselves.
The writer is a member of staff.

cyril.a@gmail.com
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Today being a Friday, we have not seen a demonstration of the IEDLogy of the TSP. :((

What could be the reasons for that. :P
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

The US forgot the vaseline...Headlines from today's Yawn, the squeals and plessure is getting louder...the climax is coming.
Nato chief presses Pakistan on ‘terrorist’ safe havens
US drone kills three militants in South Waziristan
Pakistan must eliminate militant safe havens, says Clinton
Pakistan never backed Haqqani network: ISI chief
APC: Behind closed doors
All this started, after Stratfor reported that nato rocks n.wazoo. Unfortunately this news is no longer seen on Dawn news, which was cited as a source in the original announcement by Strat
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Anwar al-Awlaki, a U.S.-born Islamic militant cleric who became a prominent figure in al-Qaida's most active branch, using his fluent English and Internet savvy to draw recruits to carry out attacks in the United States, was killed Friday in the mountains of Yemen, American and Yemeni officials said.

The Yemeni government and Defense Ministry announced al-Awlaki's death, but gave no details. A senior U.S. official said American intelligence supports the claim that he had been killed. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters.

Yemeni security officials and local tribal leaders said the was killed in an airstrike on his convoy that they believed was carried out by the Americans. They said pilotless drones had been seen over the area in previous days.

Al-Awlaki would be the most prominent al-Qaida figure to be killed since Osama bin Laden's death in a U.S. raid in Pakistan in May. In July, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said the Yemeni-American was a priority target alongside Ayman al-Zawahri, bin Laden's successor as the terror network's leader.

The 40-year-old al-Awlaki had been in the U.S. crosshairs since his killing was approved by President Barack Obama in April 2010 — making him the first American placed on the CIA "kill or capture" list. At least twice, airstrikes were called in on locations in Yemen where al-Awlaki was suspected of being, but he wasn't harmed.

Al-Awlaki, born in New Mexico to Yemeni parents, was believed to be key in turning al-Qaida's affiliate in Yemen into what American officials have called the most significant and immediate threat to the Untied States. The branch, led by a Yemeni militant named Nasser al-Wahishi, plotted several failed attacks on U.S. soil — the botched Christmas 2009 attempt to blow up an American airliner heading to Detroit and a foiled 2010 attempt to main explosives to Chicago.

Known as an eloquent preacher who spread English-language sermons on the internet calling for "holy war" against the United States, al-Awlaki's role was to inspire and — it is believed — even directly recruit militants to carry out attacks.

U.S. officials believe he went beyond just being an inspiring spiritual leader to become involved in operational planning for al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, as the Yemen branch is called. Yemeni officials have said al-Awlaki had contacts with Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the accused would-be Christmas plane bomber, who was in Yemen in 2009. They say the believe al-Awlaki met with the 23-year-old Nigerian, along with other al-Qaida leaders, in al-Qaida strongholds in the country in the weeks before the failed bombing.

In New York, the Pakistani-American man who pleaded guilty to the May 2010 Times Square car bombing attempt told interrogators he was "inspired" by al-Awlaki after making contact over the Internet.

Al-Awlaki also exchanged up to 20 emails with U.S. Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, alleged killer of 13 people in the Nov. 5, 2009, rampage at Fort Hood. Hasan initiated the contacts, drawn by al-Awlaki's Internet sermons, and approached him for religious advice.

Al-Awlaki has said he didn't tell Hasan to carry out the shootings, but he later praised Hasan as a "hero" on his Web site for killing American soldiers who would be heading for Afghanistan or Iraq to fight Muslims. The cleric similarly said Abdulmutallab was his "student" but said he never told him to carry out the airline attack.

In a statement, the Yemeni government said al-Awlaki was "targeted and killed" 5 miles (8 kilometers) from the town of Khashef in the Province of al-Jawf. The town is located 87 miles (140 kilometers) east of the capital Sanaa.

The statement says the operation was launched on Friday around 9:55 a.m. It gave no other details.

The Yemeni Defense Ministry also reported the death, without elaborating, in a mobile phone SMS message.

Local tribal and security officials said al-Awlaki was travelling in a two-car convoy with two other al-Qaida in Yemen operatives from al-Jawf to neighboring Marib province when they were hit. They said the other two operatives were also believed dead. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the press.

Yemen, the Arab world's most impoverished nation, has become a haven for hundreds of al-Qaida militants. The United States has been deeply concerned that militants will take advantage of the country's political turmoil to strengthen their positions. In recent months, militants have seized control of several cities in Yemen's south.

A previous attack against al-Awlaki on May 5, shortly after the May raid that killed Osama bin Laden, was carried out by a combination of U.S. drones and jets.

The operation was run by the U.S. military's elite counterterrorism unit, the Joint Special Operations Command — the same unit that got bin Laden. JSOC has worked closely with Yemeni counterterrorism forces for years, in the fight against al-Qaida.

Top U.S. counterterrorism adviser John Brennan says such cooperation with Yemen has improved since the political unrest there. Brennan said the Yemenis have been more willing to share information about the location of al-Qaida targets, as a way to fight the Yemeni branch challenging them for power. Other U.S. officials say the Yemenis have also allowed the U.S. to fly more armed drone and aircraft missions over its territory than ever previously, trying to use U.S. military power to stay in power. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss matters of intelligence.

____

AP correspondent Matt Apuzzo in Washington contributed to this report.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

I must admit, I didn't read word for word that NPR interview with Mullen the above report refers to and was posted on BR, but I can't recall, Mullen saying this. Were these his exact words?
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

paramu wrote:Pak military have kept evidence of US working with ISI and other groups in the 80s.
The fear of exposure may have made them to retract. This seems to be a big game.
Indeed, the total step change in US rhetoric, from Mullen blunt talk to the soft peddling now, points to something fishy. In addition, it could also be that quite a few TSPA/ISI/RAPE big wigs both in TSP and US, called the powers to be in the CIA/Pentagon/WH and pleaded, saar, saar, we beg you, we'll give you a profuse BJ, don't humiliate us in public, we will do what it takes. Hence the cooling of temperatures. Recall the sound & fury when UK PM, Cameron, said the same thing that Mullen did, or even worse, he told the truth about TSP sponsoring terror against India. And boy, did TSP go into a tizzy then. Even on the TSP national bird attacks, as long as its donw quietly, TSP has no problem, they acquiesce in private coated with theatrical bravado in public. Basically, TSP gets upset anytime its posture relative to us SDREs shows apparent weakness.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Dilbu wrote:http://www.economist.com/node/21531042
Snake country
Repost. This nonsense from Economist was posted and analyzed earlier: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 4#p1171504
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

pyaar-mohabbat on display at the Sunni Tehrik rally. Is this a rally to "crush Amrika", or is this a rally to say "you are my khushboo and I have a crush on you".

Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

CRamS wrote:
Dilbu wrote:http://www.economist.com/node/21531042
Snake country
Repost. This nonsense from Economist was posted and analyzed earlier: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 4#p1171504
Oops. Will be careful next time. :oops:
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

I was intrigued by the recent report, which indicates the ongoing US request to post military personal in pak. Could it be that once pak agrees to allowing 100-150 US military persons (aka Special Forces), they are de facto agreeing to US military boots on the ground, perhaps the right number to conduct a small operation on the haqqanis.
US in talks with Pakistan over future military missions

WASHINGTON/ISLAMABAD: US and Pakistani officials are continuing talks on the future US military mission in Pakistan but Washington likely will see its influence on Pakistani special forces curtailed as tensions rage between the two nations.

A US official said both countries had been discussing an agreement that would authorise between 100 and 150 US military personnel to be stationed in Pakistan, fewer than have been there in the recent past. “That’s what they’re driving toward,” the official said on condition of anonymity. The nature and size of the US military presence in Pakistan remains in doubt, like the overall relationship, after the top US military officer drew links last week between Pakistan’s intelligence agency and a violent militant group blamed for attacks on American targets in Afghanistan.
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

US in talks with Pakistan over future military missions

WASHINGTON/ISLAMABAD: US and Pakistani officials are continuing talks on the future US military mission in Pakistan but Washington likely will see its influence on Pakistani special forces curtailed as tensions rage between the two nations.

A US official said both countries had been discussing an agreement that would authorise between 100 and 150 US military personnel to be stationed in Pakistan, fewer than have been there in the recent past. “That’s what they’re driving toward,” the official said on condition of anonymity. The nature and size of the US military presence in Pakistan remains in doubt, like the overall relationship, after the top US military officer drew links last week between Pakistan’s intelligence agency and a violent militant group blamed for attacks on American targets in Afghanistan.
Please name one single Pakistani whom US can trust with their lives even after paying a fortune?
I know there would be lot of brilliant people who would be planning such deployments.
Even if such a presence is allowed by Pakistan due to pressure,what stops pakis to do a Beirut type bombing to send US packing. Obama's presidency would be finished. Pakistanis will dance on the streets and spread sweets to celebrate.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

CRS, Do grant you the primacy for posting the eConmist article, but Dilbu too can post it if he finds it na? Why the bark? 8)

Need to encourage nanhas.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

jrjrao wrote:Ooooh, the Pakis and its PeeTV can indeed produce scary videos. I saw this, and I crapped in my shalwar pronto, the lilting tune and music notwithstanding...

The same video is here:

JR^2-Sahib Thank you. (I am sending the story to our congressmen - I know she will like it)
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Pratyush wrote:Today being a Friday, we have not seen a demonstration of the IEDLogy of the TSP. :((

What could be the reasons for that. :P
Pakis are Munafiqs :evil:
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

jrjrao wrote:pyaar-mohabbat on display at the Sunni Tehrik rally. Is this a rally to "crush Amrika", or is this a rally to say "you are my khushboo and I have a crush on you".

Or , may they are celebrating the Awlaki and Drone-astra milap.
(I am sure this is posted before:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09 ... ki-killed/
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

From Tribune news story (posting in full). TSP will now need US or China or Saudi help with funds to meet its budgetary obligations.

Fallout from bailout: No more budgetary support loans until IMF approval, says ADB
Published: September 30, 2011
" For budgetary lending there is a need to have consensus among international financial institutions on macroeconomic stabilisation," ADB’s Pakistan country director Werner Liepach.

ISLAMABAD: It was largely expected, but on Thursday the Asian Development Bank said it in public: the Manila-based lender will not be providing any budgetary support loans to Pakistan until the International Monetary Fund gives its go-ahead, a highly unlikely prospect after Islamabad abandoned its IMF bailout programme.

Addressing his maiden press conference in Islamabad, Werner Liepach, the ADB’s Pakistan country director, said that while he agreed with the finance ministry’s assessment that the country’s external financing situation will remain stable for the next few months, it remained vulnerable to international shocks, most notably a spike in oil prices or a recession in the United States and the European Union.

“Pakistan needs to look beyond immediate factors and better to have broader picture in mind,” said Liepach, referring the debt crisis and recession fears in Europe and the United States respectively. The two markets are the biggest destinations for Pakistani exports, collectively accounting for about 45% of Pakistan’s foreign trade.

Liepach’s assessment about challenges posed by a “W-shape recession” aligns with the viewpoint of independent experts who have cautioned that the country may face balance of payments problem in later part of the fiscal year ending June 30, 2012.

Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Shaikh has recently announced that Pakistan would not seek new IMF loan as it can payback the $9 billion earlier loans on back of exceptional growth in exports and remittances. Pakistan will repay first instalment of $1.4 billion to the IMF in February next year. Pakistan will also have to payback $700 million to the ADB this year.

The IMF standby agreement expires on Friday (today).

To a question, Liepach – a German by nationality – said the ADB has no undisbursed programme loans and it would not extend new budget-support loans until the IMF issues a Letter of Assessment about health of Pakistan’s economy.

“For budgetary lending there is a need to have consensus among international financial institutions on macroeconomic stabilization of the country or at least a letter of assessment from the IMF is required before giving budgetary support loans,” he said.

Liepach said despite that Pakistan has an annual portfolio of $1.5 billion for project loans that it could use provided it fast track projection approval and initiation processes.

He said in future disbursements will be made against physical progress on the projects. Liepach said the ADB has signed eight investment programmes worth $5.6 billion with Pakistan and out of that $3.6 billion are undisbursed. He said the amount is available for drawdown provided Pakistan completes project initiation process.

Liepach said the lending agency would keep financing projects in the sectors of transport, urban services, financial sector development and energy. He also extended ADB’s support to resolve the circular debt issue.

“Pakistan cannot prosper without broader tax base, better water management, supply chain management, access to credit and energy issues resolutions”, said Liepach, adding, “all issues have been well analyzed but the challenge is how to resolve them.”

He said the ADB would finance multi-billion dollars Diamer Bash dam but the project was too big for ADB to handle, thus, a consortium of lenders would provide lending.
Published in The Express Tribune, September 30th, 2011.
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

From Tribune news story (posting in full).
48 Indian fishermen locked up
By PPI - Published: September 30, 2011
Pakistan Maritime Security Agency apprehended 48 Indian fishermen along with eight boats for illegal fishing. PHOTO : AFP/FILE

KARACHI: Pakistan Maritime Security Agency apprehended 48 Indian fishermen along with eight boats for illegally fishing in Pakistani waters on Friday.

The arrested Indian fishermen were handed over to Docks police in Karachi for further legal action.

Commander Naeem of MSA told PPI that the Indian fishermen were arrested last night and brought to Karachi today.

The fishermen from neighboring country are often apprehended as they violate intrude into Pakistani waters near Indus Delta for fishing.
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

From Tribune news story (posting in full).
Drone strike kills 3 in S Waziristan
By Iftikhar Firdous - Published: September 30, 2011
An official who spoke on condition of anonymity said that the militants were not locals.

PESHAWAR: A US drone killed three suspected militants near the Pak-Afghan border in South Waziristan on Friday.

A vehicle was targeted in the Baghar Cheena border area which resulted in the death of three suspected militants.

An official who spoke on condition of anonymity said that the militants were not locals.

The CIA operates a covert drone programme which targets suspected militants in Pakistan.

It’s possibly the United States’ worst-kept secret even though it has opened up a debate about the legality of international state-sponsored killing of adversaries.

The United States is essentially deploying aerial robots to wage war along the inaccessible border region between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The drones conduct intelligence and reconnaissance missions and fire missiles at the enemy.

Drone “pilots” at CIA headquarters in Virginia move joy sticks around as they watch live video feeds of militants entering compounds, moving along winding mountain roads or planting bombs in northwest Pakistan, which President Barack Obama has called “the most dangerous place in the world”.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

From the "Lalkara hai" song/video posted which starts:
What is this "Jabeebnon"? ... Doesn't this word means "forehead" or moon (or moon-like)
My dictionary says that Arabic word origin means "witch-doctor"... confused onlee...

Also the second line:
I think, it is sucide-vest which is seenon par ... not Quran in seenon mai?

( More lines one reads, one has to ask "do they realize how idiotic those words are??
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Singha wrote:SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Anwar al-Awlaki, a U.S.-born Islamic militant cleric who became a prominent figure in al-Qaida's most active branch, using his fluent English and Internet savvy to draw recruits to carry out attacks in the United States, was killed Friday in the mountains of Yemen, American and Yemeni officials said.
The above report fails to mention who else was killed along with al-Awlaki. Turns out there was another US citizen who was killed with him as well, along with a couple of others.
The strike hit a vehicle with three or four suspected Al Qaeda members inside, in addition to al-Awlaki. According to a U.S. senior official, the other American militant killed in the strike was Samir Khan, the co-editor of an English-language Al Qaeda web magazine called "Inspire."
Khan, in his 20s, was an American of Pakistani heritage from North Carolina. His magazine promoted attacks against U.S. targets, even running articles on how to put together explosives. In one issue, Khan wrote that he had moved to Yemen and joined Al Qaeda's fighters, pledging to "wage jihad for the rest of our lives."
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/09/30 ... ki-killed/

Jo Lahore mein gandu, woh North Carolina mein bhi gandu.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

^^^ Looks like modern Don Quixote on his charger! Where is Sancho Panza (PRC)?
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Zakaria: Calling out Pakistan’s dangerous game

Tune in Sunday at 10a.m. ET/PT to watch Fareed Zakaria's full interview with Joint Chiefs Chairman Adm. Michael Mullen and Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar.

In his last official statement as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Michael Mullen chose to publicly highlight the connections between the Pakistani military and the Haqqani network, one of the most deadly terror groups operating in Afghanistan. What Adm. Mullen said in public this week is something many U.S. government officials have felt privately for years. The question is: Why did Mullen feel it was necessary to speak publicly now?
For many years, the U.S. military has been understanding of the Pakistani military. Both sides have seen one another as professionals. And Pakistan has long appealed to the U.S. as comrades in arms.
U.S. officials like Admiral Mullen have been part of that close relationship. Mullen has visited Pakistan 27 times and has met frequently with General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff. The U.S. military has invested a great deal in this relationship and its leaders have been quite sympathetic to Pakistan’s argument that goes something like this:
“We are trying to take on these militants. We don’t have as much capacity as you might think. We have to enter remote parts of the country, which we have never gone into before. And, by the way, we have already launched significant military operations and taken casualties in the fight against militant groups. So, give us time and understand our situation.”
American officials have been relatively sympathetic to this view.
But there has always been an alternate view that the Pakistani military has created a Frankenstein’s monster out of these militant groups. Some of these groups have now turned on Pakistan. Others keep peace with Pakistan, but carry out brutal assaults in Afghanistan against Afghans, Indians and Westerners. People who espouse the Frankenstein’s monster view maintain that the Pakistani military knows these groups have gotten out of hand, but remains extremely reluctant to cut the cord with them because it thinks they are a cheap, effective way to keep Afghanistan and India on edge and to promote Pakistan’s interests surreptitiously.
For many years, people like Mullen have been somewhat understanding of the Pakistani military’s point of view. America has pressed Pakistan to combat militant groups, but only privately. Over the last year, however, there have been three developments, which changed this. First, there have been a series of incidents in which the United States and U.S. troops have been targeted in brutal attacks. Second, there is increasing amounts of evidence that the groups launching these attacks had close connections with the Pakistani military. This does not mean these groups are run by the Pakistani military, but these are not just casual contacts either. The Pakistani military provides these groups with funding; it allows them to operate in safe havens; and it shares logistical information with them. Third, suspicions were greatly raised when Osama bin Laden was discovered hiding just miles from a Pakistani military cantonment.
All of this has come together to make people like Adm. Mullen feel that they have been taken advantage of, that private pressure is not working and that it is time to put some public pressure on Pakistan. I don’t know if this public pressure will work. Such pressure can be construed as an American affront against Pakistan. That is the way it is being played in Pakistan now. It is important to note that the Pakistani military is able to turn on a nationalist media campaign whenever it feels threatened. It has an extensive network of people on the military’s payroll - or friendly to it - and those people in press and parliament have always denounced any kind of pressure on the Pakistani military as an attack on Pakistan itself. This produces an obvious and predictable nationalist reaction.
The tragedy in all of this is that the United States is actually on the side of the Pakistani people. It is profoundly in the interests of Pakistan that it develops a stronger civil society, civilian government and democratic system. This civilian government needs to assert its supremacy and cuts the cords between the Pakistani security establishment and extreme jihadi groups. It is deeply in the interest of the Pakistani people that Pakistan develops a healthy, civilian conception of its national interests rather than one that is entirely shaped by the military and intelligence services. It remains to be seen whether this will happen. The truth of the matter is, ironically, the U.S. is the country that is standing up for the interests of the Pakistani people. The Pakistani people would benefit by a reduction of surreptitious conflict and security tensions. Pakistan’s military needs to give up its obsession with geopolitical games, gaining “strategic depth” in Afghanistan and keeping India on the defensive through the use of militants. It is time for Pakistan’s leaders to focus on economic development.