Re: US strike options on TSP

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the US-2

Post by pankajs »

Businessweek ‏@BW 11m11 minutes ago

Black faculty allege racial discrimination at a historically black law school in D.C. http://bloom.bg/1x02boF
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

i100 ‏@thei100 26m26 minutes ago

Fox news station caught faking 'kill a cop' chant from protesters http://i100.io/kuiPPhV
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Firstpost ‏@firstpostin 29m29 minutes ago

Protesters gather after police shoot dead black teen in St Louis, Missouri: Guardian
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Handcuff and shackle a 4 year old, take him to lock-up and make him talk to inmates.
https://www.rutherford.org/publications ... cuffed_sha
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Sony Hack Reveals Hollywood's Acceptance Of White Privilege
Posting in full:
It is, perhaps, the worst nightmare for those of us constantly trying to get a white-dominated Hollywood to widen its doors of opportunity for people of color: All those executives who say the right things in public and give to the right causes, just might think something much less admirable about diversity behind closed doors.

This seems the surface lesson of the emails unearthed by hackers into Sony's computer records. I haven't seen the stolen emails or any of the other data hacked from Sony's computers. My thoughts are based on what I've read and heard about emails whose content Sony has not disputed.

And many of those reports detail racially insensitive — OK, Shonda Rhimes, you're right: let's just call them racist — jokes between studio executive Amy Pascal and movie producer Scott Rudin. Their reported emails read like they were cribbed from an old Larry Sanders Show episode, with the pair sounding like caricatures of clueless, racially oblivious fat cats.

Small wonder Pascal reached out to the media's highest-profile advocates on issues involving racism, the Rev. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, "to discuss a healing process," as she told The Hollywood Reporter. :rotfl: :rotfl: {Standard white racist damage control}

After meeting with Pascal, Sharpton said, "The climate and environment of Hollywood only confirms the type of language that was used in those emails." At a post-meeting news conference, a coalition of civil rights groups pledged to work with her and Sony. Sharpton also tweeted that the emails "show a cultural blindness," though he didn't call for Pascal to step down. {Al Sharpton is not as big of an Idiot as I thought, he should have asked her to step down as there is no real excuse for her to stick on to that place, now she will use this to "prove" that a "virulent anti-racist" like Al-Sharpton forgave her, so why does anyone want her to step down.}

What these emails really reveal is how little Hollywood is willing to challenge the basic structures, practices and thinking that make it such a white-dominated industry. This seems to happen even when there's evidence that breaking down those walls will actually make better films and more money.

Consider the Golden Globe award nominees. Last year, thanks to films like 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, Captain Phillips and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, there were a wealth of nonwhite actors, actresses, directors and screenwriters nominated for top awards in film.

This year, there are eight nonwhite Golden Globe nominees in major acting and directing categories across TV and movies. Films prominently featuring black people, like Belle, Beyond the Lights, Top 5 and Dear White People, were overlooked; Selma, the feature film on Martin Luther King Jr., got two of the three nominations for nonwhite people in film.

It's as if the lessons of last year — where diverse casts, writers and directors produced some of the most exciting work of the season — went unheeded when studio big shots like Pascal and Rudin were deciding what gets made and what doesn't in 2014. (In a year where Gugu Mbatha-Raw stars in both Belle and Beyond the Lights, how she didn't get nominated for something is beyond me.)

In the Globes' television nominees, there is even less excuse. ABC's Black-ish garnered a load of rave reviews and good ratings but was shut out of the Globes nominations. There were two well-deserved nominations for The CW's Jane the Virgin, a Latino-centered comedy that was also well-reviewed and beloved by critics. But the absence of Black-ish left a sense that only one minority-centered comedy could make the cut, despite the fact that both shows were among the fall's best new comedies.

Viola Davis snagged a Globe nomination as TV's best dramatic actress for her role on ABC's How to Get Away with Murder. Last year, Kerry Washington was nominated for her work on ABC's Scandal; Washington's lack of nomination this year also leads to questions about whether only one black woman can nab such an honor in a given year.

It all reminds me of something I noticed when The Hollywood Reporter featured a powerful essay from comedian Chris Rock on how white people and white culture dominate Hollywood. It was published in the run-up to the release of Rock's film, Top Five.

He talks about how Los Angeles is filled with Latinos but somehow none of them wind up in powerful positions at Hollywood studios; how black comedian Kevin Hart is pressured to cross over, even though he draws more than 10 times the audience of white Daily Show host Jon Stewart at standup concerts; and how black women almost never get meaningful roles in nonblack-oriented films.

But in the same issue, there is a round table of six actors from films that the magazine thinks will contend for an Oscar. All of them are white. Weeks earlier, the magazine had a roundtable with seven actresses from similarly well-regarded films. All of them were white, despite powerful performances in films mentioned above, like Selma and Beyond the Lights, Belle, Black or White, Dear White People and even Annie.

When I asked Hollywood Reporter editor Janice Min about this, she said the films this year with nonwhite stars either weren't considered serious Oscar contenders or, like Selma, weren't available for screening when the magazine made its round-table choices.

Last year, the magazine had a similar round table including three nonwhite actresses. But because they couldn't stretch their rules to consider the one film featuring black people that has serious awards-season buzz, they missed out on including Golden Globe nominee David Oyelowo, star of Selma, in their actor panel.

This seems a prime example of how even institutions that take a close look at Hollywood's issues with race can also reinforce those problems by sticking with old habits and established practices.

Pascal has pushed back against those who suggest the leaked emails should cost her the chairman's job at Sony, saying the messages "are not an accurate reflection of who I am." :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :mrgreen:

I believe her. {And that is the critical mistake that people of color make in the US, never-ever trust a white person who has expressed his or her racist beliefs in one form or the other. I adhere to this rule religiously, and I have shunted off many many people who would otherwise be friends with me. They dont get why I cut them off suddenly, but I really have no tolerance for this $hit.} But I also believe these messages are an accurate reflection of Hollywood's attitudes about diversity, where assumptions are made without proof and even the president can find himself at the butt end of a racist joke between the most powerful people in town.

The best way big shots like Pascal and Rudin can prove they aren't the people depicted in these emails is to challenge the status quo and insist on results. Break down any rule or practice that hinders bringing more diversity to executive suites, producing and directing ranks, and casting offices.

Yes, there are some people of color who are doing well in Hollywood, particularly Latino filmmakers like Guillermo del Toro, Alejandro Inarritu, Jorge Gutierrez and Alfonso Cuaron. But they still seem like notable exceptions. { That is bullshit, Alfonso Cuaron is a white person born in Mexico he appears white and that is good enough for hillbilly racists like Pascal, and yes Pascal is not much different from a hillbilly redneck racist. Mitt Romney is also a Hispanic, whose origins are from Mexico and South America but he looks white and that's all that matters}

It's time to ensure that the meeting with Sharpton isn't job-saving window dressing, but a real step toward making Hollywood's releases look more like America.

Because, frankly, if they had been doing a great job breaking down barriers in the first place, then Pascal wouldn't have had to call Sharpton and Jackson to assure the world she's not a racist. {Which she evidently is, and she has managed to fool the likes of the author who wrote this piece.}
Its clear why movies like Slumdog Millionaire won the Oscars. But people of color like Indians misread the cause of such "success" and it results in idiots (pardon me) like Dev Patel and Anil Kapoor to believe that they will be the next DiCaprio but all they get is some two bit roles here and there that does not break from the stereotype. I cringe everytime someone from the Hindi/Urdu Movie industry try to "make it" in Hollywood. They are constantly made fun of by people like Pascal, and they just take it smiling :) Jacakasses.

Sample this to know what I mean:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I don't understand this one at all.Why is this guy in jail for over 8 months?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

LokeshC: One time there was rumour that Big B was offered a role in one Merchant-Ivory movie (it can't be Howards End because all are white characters) which he turned down. This was before he went through his tough times. There was no reason he has given at that, IIRC. He chose wisely. Jut recently he relented and did a cameo role in The Great Gatsby. Let us hope he squeezed a lot of money out of the producers.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Doing free is as good as, if not better than. squeezing them for all they have got. "Oh, you want me for a cameo of 5-10 minutes (was it even that long? any way ...)? Go ahead, chai ... err ... Champagne pee lO. :twisted:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

barring one or two none in hollywood are in the acting caliber of our legends. even our tier2 upcoming like randeep hooda et al stand head and shoulders above the rabble there.

our weakness is not actors, but good directors and scriptwriters though they exist, but 90% of the funding goes to the crap anti-india ones...so many good ones never get a chance to make big budget indic movies.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Here is the status of budgets in US state schools.

Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

matrimc wrote:Here is the status of budgets in US state schools.

[img]http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd103114s.gif
[/img]
mc,

I know your post was in jest. However, this ismy pet peeve.

This article won Peter whoriskey (an appropriate name) a Polk award. The gent standing in the picture -- Daniel Yuan -- then filed this case:

Court System: Circuit Court for Baltimore City - Civil System
Case Number: 24C13008243
Title: Daniel S, M.d. Yuan vs Johns Hopkins University
Case Type: Other Tort
Filing Date:12/13/2013
Case Status: Closed/Inactive
Case Disposition: Dismissed by Court
Disposition Date:05/12/2014

Much intellectual masterbation. Many awards. such integrity. But case dismissed. Yet none of the award winning national media, or even local ones care to look in the same docket:

Court System: Circuit Court for Baltimore City - Civil System
Case Number: 24C12006249
Title: Rajesh Kumar PhD vs Johns Hopkins University
Case Type: Contract
Filing Date:10/23/2012
Case Status: Closed/Inactive
Case Disposition: Judgment/Verdict
Disposition Date:04/24/2014

Anybody bother to see the jury found? And we blame Indian media for being DDM.

You want my top ten fraud list? Grad. school is totally fraudulent everywhere. Rich or poor. Funded or not.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Shreeman ji: To a degree. Otherwise (i.e. if it is 100% fraud) nothing gets discovered/invented. But journalism I am not so sanguine about.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

MC,

No, nothing gets attributed correctly. Just as senior managers worldwide invent everything in the indhstry, and kungs win all the wars. OT.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Mukesh.Kumar wrote:NYT calling a spade spade.

The unintended consequences of American funding in Pakistan.
New Yorker not NYT
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^^still the same old use Pakistan to pressure India hymn. These people are promoting some nice delusions unwittingly on our behalf. I hope no lifafa is involve from our side...
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

JeM,

The use or utility of Bakistan has not changed. Just that the world has a lot places to go now. From ukraine all the way down south to zimbabwe. Think of it as moving from 1BHK to a 1BHK with 9 bathrooms.

The only way to gain relevance is to send peacekeepng forces out to every other toilet.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

KLNMurthy wrote:
Guddu wrote: ..
Problem with Piyush Jindal is that he is ashamed of his Indian roots, he converted his religion, all so that he could in his mind be indistinguishable from Americans. I imagine if Piyush bhai was to run for prez, someone would ask about his pagan religion and sdre background.
While he is running from his roots, most white immigrants are proud of their roots. I don't think Piyushbhai would be caught dead visiting his relatives in India. This is no commentary on his skills and ability as a governor.
Well, let's tie it back to the conversion debate and Obama's "advice" to Indians, and the way most Indians read it.

IMO the whole conversion debate is so full of contradictions that I for one can't make head or tail of it. We are fine with Tulsi Gabbard's mother leaving her American and Christian heritage and becoming Hindu and raising her daughter as Hindu, but we are not fine with Piyush Jindal becoming Christian and rather insistently, full-American. Jindal never, afaik indicated that he was "ashamed" of his Indian roots or his Hindu religion, he claimed to have had a genuine change of heart and decided to become a Christian. If we are to take him at his word, who are we to question his conscience and beliefs?

On the other hand, if he cynically adopted Christianity as a way to get ahead, as we seem to believe--based on nothing more than our own assumption that "cynical" is the only way a Hindu would be persuaded to leave the faith of his fathers for Christianity--then we have to admit that it sure worked for him and he became very successful in a very hostile environment. If he realized early on that the only way to realize his political ambitions was to convert, then is he supposed to have sacrificed his ambition and stayed Hindu because, what, we, who mean next to nothing in his life, disapprove?

I think a proper American liberal attitude towards India's ghar-wapasi movement should be to support it enthusiastically, or at least to the same extent as they would support efforts to convert Hindus to Christianity. They are exactly the same thing; in both cases, it is the free market of religious conversion and individual liberty at stake.
Not worried about genuine change of mind. Buddhi Karma anusaarinaa! - One's mind follows one's karmas. An Abrahamic mind gets attracted to Abrahamism and vice-versa. Nothing wrong.

Coming to the cynical scenario - are we suggesting that one has to be a Christian to succeed in United States of America - the land of equal opportunity? Isn't the modern trend in American politics that one needs to distance oneself from right-wing evangelicals? So what is the future course of action for Indians?

Finally my thoughts on this topic: USA: A Vedic civilization on Abrahamic Foundations
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

RamaY wrote: ...

Not worried about genuine change of mind. Buddhi Karma anusaarinaa! - One's mind follows one's karmas. An Abrahamic mind gets attracted to Abrahamism and vice-versa. Nothing wrong.

Coming to the cynical scenario - are we suggesting that one has to be a Christian to succeed in United States of America - the land of equal opportunity? Isn't the modern trend in American politics that one needs to distance oneself from right-wing evangelicals? So what is the future course of action for Indians?

Finally my thoughts on this topic: USA: A Vedic civilization on Abrahamic Foundations
It is not me suggesting anything--just trying to analyze Jindal's decision and the response to it. His choice certainly didn't hurt his political career, and our passing judgment on that choice is meaningless and irrelevant.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Behold my fellow Mujahid's....The disease called Jindalitis.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/03/ ... l=facebook
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Sad.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

Everyone needs to watch Deliverance to really understand the US. Lots of videos online

It is a perspective on the bible belt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

The teerths of the bible belt where the fatpots get resonance from
Several locations are occasionally referred to as "the Buckle of the Bible Belt":

Abilene, Texas a city of 117,000 home to three Christian universities: the Baptist affiliated Hardin-Simmons University, the Church of Christ's Abilene Christian University, and Methodist founded McMurry University.[6]
Dallas, Texas is home to several seminaries, including the Brite Divinity School of Texas Christian University, Dallas Theological Seminary, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (the largest Protestant seminary in the world), and Criswell College; Southern Methodist University; the conservative[citation needed] Catholic University of Dallas; and several of America's largest megachurches, including The Potter's House (pastored by T.D. Jakes), Prestonwood Baptist Church (pastored by Jack Graham), and First Baptist Church (once, under the leadership of W.A. Criswell, the largest Protestant church in the world).
Lynchburg, Virginia, home to Liberty University, the largest evangelical Christian university in the world, founded by Jerry Falwell in 1971.[citation needed]
Nashville, Tennessee, sometimes referred to as "the Protestant Vatican",[7] has over 700 churches,[8] several seminaries, and a number of Christian schools, colleges and universities, including Belmont University, Trevecca Nazarene University, Lipscomb University, Free Will Baptist Bible College and American Baptist College. Nashville is the seat of the National Baptist Convention, USA, the National Association of Free Will Baptists, the Gideons International, the Gospel Music Association, and Thomas Nelson, the world's largest producer of Bibles.[9] It is also the headquarters for the publishing arms of both the Southern Baptist Convention (LifeWay Christian Resources) and the United Methodist Church (United Methodist Publishing House), as well as a number of Christian record companies such as EMI Christian Music Group, Provident Label Group and Word Records.
Tulsa, Oklahoma is home to a large presence of Christian establishments, such as Oral Roberts University and its symbolic Prayer Tower. It is also one of the few urban areas in the United States where over 60% of the population attends church.
Charlotte, North Carolina, is the hometown of evangelist Billy Graham and the Billy Graham Library, as well as over 700 places of worship. Charlotte also served as the head seat of Southern Presbyterianism. It is also the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte.
Jacksonville, North Carolina and Camp Lejeune are in a largely Southern Baptist area also known for being very politically conservative due to its large military population.
Springfield, Missouri is the international headquarters of the evangelical Pentecostal Christian denomination Assemblies of God and home to their school, Evangel University.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, while not usually considered a buckle of the Bible Belt, is considered by many[who?] to be, along with Lynchburg, the eastern border.[citation needed] This is the headquarters of Pat Robertson and CBN, as well as the location of Regent University.

Also the Bible belt is called the ***** belt
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frankschae ... surprised/

…studies consistently demonstrate that people in [red-state] conservative religious [regions] search for adult materials online far more often than people in blue states.

Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frankschae ... z3QkKsjV36
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

I am not a smart man -- shreeman.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

This is suitably representative of the carolinas -- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31127704
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

post deleted for not giving description of link - JE Menon
Shankk
BRFite

Post by Shankk »

Singha wrote:our weakness is not actors, but good directors and scriptwriters though they exist, but 90% of the funding goes to the crap anti-india ones...so many good ones never get a chance to make big budget indic movies.
This is not a coincidence but a deliberate plan. A popular belief that Indian cinema is beholden to Pakistan or to Pakistani cause is more of a case of smoke and mirror. Real fingers dancing those puppets in the industry belong to the Church. If you notice carefully it is evident that a large percentage of truly talented guys in various fields of film industry are pak pasand or at least with a sympathetic eye to their viewpoint. It is so because they are being operated on and influenced by some external force. There is a constant watch for true talent and if such an individual is not cooperating then the screws are turned such a way that they have a severe disadvantage in the industry. Most break fairly soon to such a force. What is that force?

If you look further deep with an eye on patterns in history you will come to conclusion that this sneaky behavior is not the style of Islam. They believe in using brute force. This tendency of being a proverbial snake in the grass is the style of church. Not just in film industry but outside as well. We don't need proof really on this with such a vast experience already amassed. Even for conversions, church targets two categories of people, one is destitutes in society being low hanging fruits and the other is really talented guys. Talented guys are the real prize catch for the church because they bring a real insight into host society that is difficult for outsiders to gather without spending long time inside the system. These talented guys also provide ingenious ways of taking the church's viewpoint to the masses. Due to their talent they are often in a position of power and likely have good amount of money which is a bonus. It helps a great deal to convince poorer section of society to show these converts while making a point.

Now why would the church do anything to benefit Pakistan? Whats in it for them? Just think of why was Pakistan created in the first place by Christian brishits and then nurtured by Christian America all this time? Religious and geopolitical angle is very well known already and this is one more way of propping up pakistan by using Indian money against them. Where the church comes into picture here is that first creating Pakistan and then helping them every way to keep this wound festering has really did a great damage to the appeal of Islam. It is relatively difficult for them to find converts traditionally and have to rely on procreation only to increase their numbers. This leaves the field wide open for Church to win hearts and minds with diminished competition. This game of winning hearts and minds is best done with the best talent that can be acquired and that has always been the focus of church, everywhere.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

What do ppl make of the Brian Williams Suspension w/o Pay 4 6 Months 4 telling a bogus tale of combat experience? They want to give the $$ to the State Department SpokesMouth?
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

shows press is many atimes more gungho than the troops themselves and trips up on it a few times.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

UB: The world is reduced to: "public shaming" is the only means of defeating your competitor. Williams had made a reasonable name for himself. The credit-claiming is typical of any biography and book. These days it could be any peer reviewed journal article. Williams is wajibulkuttle. Why now? Therein lies the answer.

As an aside, I hate the coverage of the recent american death. This woman was held captive for years, raped and handed between the very commanders the US was at the time trying to fund. And even in death, the woman is being used as propaganda. There is no clear narrative of where she was, why, and who was funding her, why she was sent there given the reality of the situation.

And theis whole "they may have another american". What is this? Trying to sell iPhones? How many americans are captive, who has them and how did they get them? Who is supporting them in the US now?

It is becoming difficult to read/follow any news. It all smacks of Straus-Kahn "only went to four orgies a year" civilization. Are the rest not on trial still carrying on?
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/02/indian_citizen_stopped_by_madi.html
Madison police last week roughed up a 57-year-old Indian citizen who was walking on the sidewalk outside his son's home, leaving the older man temporarily paralyzed and hospitalized with fused vertebrae.

"He was just walking on the sidewalk as he does all the time," said his son, Chirag Patel, this morning. "They put him to the ground."

No crime had been committed. Madison Police on Monday issued a statement saying the department had suspended the officer and were investigating the use of force in this case. The police statement wished the man a "speedy recovery."
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

I know a thing or two about back injuries -- speedy recovery indeed. This is likely the father of some immigrant, who chose to walk past an angry patrol.

In Madison they probably couldnt tell him apart from any other black.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

I remember Brian Williams from other dolled-up anchors for his blab after 911 attacks. He was talking with some Mushy-loving jernail from the Panjagone place about the pressure on mushy to do gubo. jernail be like 'the mushy I know, loves a good cranberry-ass GUBO, but apparently India is being belligerent and bent on composting the lovely peachy-boys sent by ISI, whose only fault is they love freedoms and guns".

Williams: "Doesn't India know all muslims are not evil and Pakistan is a valuable ally of US?".

I was like "um, no. thanks for telling me Brian-annaa for I was worried about Kalam-sahib.....".

That was the very first time I heard a A-list anchorman mention the second part of the statement (ally part).

Douchebag had a good run
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Chapel Hill, North Carolina had three Muslims murdered by a perpetrator. The guy surrendered himself. Wonder if they would have caught him otherwise.
Race/religion all are being not considered. Even NPR is very humble in reporting this obviously a hate crime.
Shankk
BRFite

Post by Shankk »

Shreeman wrote: As an aside, I hate the coverage of the recent american death. This woman was held captive for years, raped and handed between the very commanders the US was at the time trying to fund. And even in death, the woman is being used as propaganda. There is no clear narrative of where she was, why, and who was funding her, why she was sent there given the reality of the situation.
She was there because she was moved by the suffering of people which is a euphemism for representing an agency. Note that this is very contextual. Had this happened in India it would be a persecution of Christians by rabid Hindus and the attack would be led by SD with the useful idiots in toe.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ISIS is a creation/result of the War in Iraq. Hence the muted response and who me type of non-response from GOTUS.
Madhusudhan
BRFite

Post by Madhusudhan »

More on police brutality in America: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... n-deceased
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

This old man is actually lucky. Pretty much everywhere in the land of free he would be shot by a house owner for being "suspicious" err.... black:

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report-us ... ed-2060110

This is a zero tolerance land. Every day you get out, you are gambling in a lottery with higher risk than any mode of transportation, or any other accident.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Shankk wrote:
Shreeman wrote: As an aside, I hate the coverage of the recent american death. This woman was held captive for years, raped and handed between the very commanders the US was at the time trying to fund. And even in death, the woman is being used as propaganda. There is no clear narrative of where she was, why, and who was funding her, why she was sent there given the reality of the situation.
She was there because she was moved by the suffering of people which is a euphemism for representing an agency. Note that this is very contextual. Had this happened in India it would be a persecution of Christians by rabid Hindus and the attack would be led by SD with the useful idiots in toe.
Shankk,

Surely, you are joking.

There are a million hurdles to those "moved" by the plight of syrians to travel there routinely. Try getting just a stamp from turkey, pakistan, afghsnistan, syria, iran, practically anywhere in that region and see how the US officialdom treats you.

Yet this young woman was waltzing in and out of syria time and again. She had internet access wherever she went, though she could not find $100 equivalent to help the locals while she was there.
What purpose does one wander over -- to document the dying syrians like ethiopian? And then write a book?

There is no "agency" that has come forward and represented for her. In the context of what ISIS was doung to women, this girl was clearly in an unsafe place. Many times. She wasnt helping any body. She wasnt there without people being fully aware kf it, and this could have been prevented.

No, this is not how humanitarian aid works today.

I am not sure why you want to change the label from "suspicious/idiot" to "martyr/saint" but dying this way -- after unspeakable abuse at this age, she has done no favors to anybody. She could have been moved by the plight of the thousands without food and shelter in the US and been a credit to the society. She chose not to.

This is a religion thing. Or it is a job thing. Either way, its the opiate of religion or money. Highly irresponsible of the parents, helpers and yes the country for letting another life go to waste.

The information disclosed is all propaganda. And an inquest (this is as close to one gets to, in the US) should not be about further emotional abuse of the audience. Instead, it should present facts as lessons to avoid more people meeting the same fate.