Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): 29th May 2012

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): 29th May

Post by abhishek_sharma »

archan wrote:Abhishek and others, relax. Heed to what Lilo said and take it elsewhere. Get rid of the unfriendly tone though. Thanks.
I am not enjoying this conversation either. I merely said that US is *an important factor* in Indo-Pak relations. I claimed that US "encourages" India to have better relations with Pak. What is controversial about it? (Any reasonable person would agree with these statements.) However, we can see how it has been twisted.
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

I completely agree with Shiv
When he says Indian administration and TS Pakis are equal equal in all respects
Right from corruption in armed forces to corruption in all walks of life
Sad to have lost our stature as cut above pakis
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

pentaiah wrote:I completely agree with Shiv
Right from corruption in armed forces to corruption in all walks of life
uh...are you familiar with shiv saar's periodic piskological experiments?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

pentaiah wrote:I completely agree with Shiv
<snip>
Please don't misquote me saar. I am not comparing Pakis with Indian administration. I am comparing Indians with Pakis.
If you read Pakistani statements about India you will find them saying that Indians and Pakistanis BOTH suffer from the misdeeds of their respective governments. It looks like Pakistanis are right because Indians certainly agree with Pakistanis that Indians are suffering from the misdeeds of the Indian government.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

menon s wrote:Rise in suicides amongst PA forces in Balochistan.
http://www.balochjohd.com/modules/xnews ... toryid=636
Thanks for posting. I have archived this titbit - news that is hard to come by, restricted as it is in Pakistan.
deepan gill
BRFite -Trainee

Post by deepan gill »

Abhishek,
As mentioned by few members, this thread is not appropriate for this discussion as it is not relevant to the subject at hand. Please note, I simply stated my opinion and based on few facts. I am willing to engage you on this mindset that somehow US encourages [not conspiracy] killing of Indians as a policy.

I am capable of comprehending English but I am not able to comprehend the Indian thinking, I personally believe its leftist orientated as some sort of a fantasy thinking. Its not practical, neither it is logical.

I will move our discussion to another thread. Thank you
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Re conspiracy/comprehension: Those were not directed at you.

I am sure many people will discuss this matter in the US thread. This is such a basic issue that there should be no controversy.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Charlie wrote:I recall my own bewilderment when I met the Pakistan High Commission’s press counsellor before my first visit to that country. Invited into his office, I was treated to a diatribe about how Pakistan was so different from squalid, beggar-infested India. “We come from Central Asia, galloping on horses across those wide open grasslands,” he told me, his hands pumping imaginary reins as he gazed past me at imaginary grasslands. “We feel caged in the tiny houses you have here.” He was referring to his Vasant Vihar flat.
I think it is some AIT + pakis are descendants of glorious islamic conquerors romanticism. Both these are internalized 'truths' in pakiland.
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

I'm utterly surprised that the WKK lawyer says naPakistanis currently have a strong pro-India sentiment when the current poll results from naPakistan highlight that Pakjabis feel more threatened by SDREs than by coreligionist TTP and AQ which are beheading TFTA Pakjabi soldiers and displaying their heads on a piece of white sheet like excavated ornaments.

The Big Fight: Will Sarabjit Singh be released? | NDTV Video
Is Pakistan's flip-flop on Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh an inadvertent error? We debate on The Big Fight.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

In the 1980s Khalistani "freedom fighters" received training in US based military style training camps run by ex-US military personnel. These were privately run camps, not supported by the state. They were not breaking any US laws.

Through the 1980s and 90s Kashmiri and Khalistani "freedom fighters" received training in Pakistan based military style training camps run by ex-Pakistani military personnel. These were said to be privately run camps by "non state" actors. They were not breaking any Pakistani laws.

But after 9-11 I find that the US and European countries believe that the military style training camps in Pakistan are being used by American and European nationals (often of Pakistani origin) to get training to conduct military operations in the USA and Europe as part of a freedom struggle for oppressed Muslims in the USA and Europe.

In the past the recruits from Pakistani military style training camps, (which were modelled on similar US camps) used to attack Indian targets only. Now they attack Indian as well as US and European targets.

How does this pose a bigger threat to India than the past?
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Asked to explain why India and naPakistan are so alike yet so indifferent, Nicholas Burns (former Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs) says
naPakistan is a failed state and India is very successful, what else can we say. -

Having said that the former Undersecretary believes in balancing India and Pakistan's roles in A'stan, typical of a former state department bureaucrat. Mush agrees by reinforcing that everything wrong naPakistan does in A'stan has to do with 10,000,000,000,000 Indian troops deployed in A'stan.

Last edited by Roperia on 02 Jul 2012 09:25, edited 4 times in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

He is using cheap dye! and henna based too!!
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

^ Is he still relevant except for his crimes against humanity in Kargil for which he should be hanged ?
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Please watch :rotfl:

Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Clinton Sahiba spoke to the newly minted PM and John Allen, the NATO commander has visited Pa'stan for the second time in a week.

Something is cooking.
Kanishka
BRFite

Post by Kanishka »

Saeed Naqvi talks about what it is like to be a Muslim in India, problems emanating from Pakistan...
Putting here for paki lurkers. Mods please remove if not appropriate for this thread.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

The raison d’être of Pakistan
http://dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?pa ... 2012_pg3_5
The ‘Destruction of Pakistan Council’ (DPC) is said to be behind the rickshaw marketing campaign that states: ‘Bharat se rishta kiya, nafrat ka intiqam kiya’ (What is our relationship with India...hatred and revenge). Heartily, the Institute of Peace and Secular Studies (IPSS) has launched a laudable initiative out of its meagre resources called ‘visa kholo’ policy, which calls upon the South Asian neighbours to grow up and develop a mature relationship on the basis of mutual coexistence and permeable borders.It is for Pakistanis to decide collectively as to what the rationale for the founding of Pakistan was: was it perpetual hatred and animosity towards India or was it that Pakistan would be a peaceful settlement between the two main communities of India who would contribute to the betterment of South Asia? At least Jinnah, the man most commonly credited with or blamed for the making of Pakistan, depending on what point of view one takes, was quite clear that it was the latter. He believed that Pakistan and India would have open borders, treaty arrangements and joint defence — in other words, a European Union-type arrangement long before the European Union was even conceived. Jinnah believed that Pakistan and India would ideally follow the US-Canada model of ties and referred to examples from European history where nations with centuries of animosity had normalised their relations. To Mountbatten, he quoted the example of a partition suit he had been part of between two brothers who once the partition of their property had been effected became best of friends. This does not fit the DPC’s narrative of ‘nafrat’ and ‘intiqam’(hatred and revenge). It is then fair to say that Pakistan’s raison d’être was to achieve peace in the subcontinent, which still eludes us and therefore we have failed in that respect.
Now consider Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry’s recent statement that if parliament legislates against the constitution or Islam, the Supreme Court would be well within its rights to review such legislation and strike it down if necessary. Presumably, Imran Khan agrees with the chief justice on this issue. The only problem is that this presupposes a repository of Islamic knowledge with judges of the Supreme Court, which is derived, logically, from established religious opinions of Islamic scholars. In other words, contrary to the Iqbalian idea of ijtehad through a democratically elected parliament in a Muslim country, the Islamic standard is to be determined by the judiciary based on credible existing opinions of religious scholars. Thus in the end, any revolutionary move by parliament to reinterpret Islamic values according to modern times is likely to be challenged and decided by a few judges, depending on their own personal views on religion and possibly, biases that they might have. How then would this be ijtehad? Remember there is a hadith of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) that the ummah cannot err in consensus. Can a few unelected public servants and their favourite religious scholars shape this consensus? No. It is tantamount to closing the door of ijtehad altogether and empowering a few men with a divine mission to rule against the will of the majority based on selective religious interpretation.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Code: Select all

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/national/02-Jul-2012/nato-lock-unlocked-at-last
NatoLOCK unlocked, at last?

By: Abrar Saeed | July 02, 2012 | 3

The new Porki PM speaketh:
Sources said the PM stressed the need to maintain good relations with the US and vowed that Pakistan, being the frontline state in the war against terror, would continue to play its due role to crush non-state actors which were out to create unrest.
We must compliment the Porkis for having established the term non-state actors in the political firmament.

I thought only our CONgrass bought it but it seems the yanqui souper power is buying it too. :shock:

On the bright side the CONgrass does have leadership qualities, with the yanquis following the same path, wot? :mrgreen:
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Roperia wrote:I'm utterly surprised that the WKK lawyer says naPakistanis currently have a strong pro-India sentiment when the current poll results from naPakistan highlight that Pakjabis feel more threatened by SDREs than by coreligionist TTP and AQ . . .
In fact, that number has been only increasing every year . . .
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Pakistani Gun Manufacture

Who uses these guns ? Taliban ? I'll be surprised if they work after firing a full magazine
Last edited by jamwal on 02 Jul 2012 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

From the Pew report for 2012,

the DK (Don't Know) column is very interesting. There is a large number in this column which is suggestive of fence-sitting or those who did not want to reveal their support for the terrorists openly. I would therefore add the numbers in the DK column to the 'Favourable' column. If these jihadis were considered as barbaric and not truly representative of Islam, why should there be a huge DK number at all ? There should have been a more emphatic rejection. The fence sitters would largely favour the jihadi Islamists with a slight nudge.

Also, look at the support for AQ & Taliban in 2008 when terrorism was at its peak and the AQAM were sweeping down from NWFP into Potohar. The difference between 'Fav' & 'Unfav' is rather minimal. If we add the DK numbers to the 'Fav' column, the support for the jihadis becomes overwhelming. I would consider c. 2008 as the baseline year to refer to when a similar situation develops in the future.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Comment in broadsword on his article about the book on TSP:

Unnecessary sophistry to describe what VS Naipaul said: "Pakistan is nothing but a Country of converts hating their former country, life, culture and religion".

That is the base line which does not need Oxford English for explanation.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

And feel the unfinished agenda after 1000 year rule to complete is the 100% conversion of the Indian Sub continent to thier particular Pakjab version of Ideology
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Musharraf does not rule out a fresh military takeover
"The state is being run to the ground at the moment, and people are again running to the military to save the country," Musharraf told a gathering in Aspen in Colorado in the US.

While he maintained that Pakistan's constitution was "sacrosanct", the former dictator also questioned: "Should we save the country, and do something unconstitutional or uphold the constitution of the country, and let the state go down?"
Then, why does he say in the same stinking breath that the constitution is sacrosanct ?
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Missed calls from Pakistan will clone your SIM.

LUCKNOW: Next time if you get a missed call starting with +92; #90 or #09, (the first is the paki ISD code, while the other 2 are extention numbers) don't show the courtesy of calling back because chances are it would lead to your SIM card being cloned. The telecom service providers are now issuing alerts to subscribers -particularly about the series mentioned above as the moment one press the call button after dialing the above number, someone at the other end will get your phone and SIM card cloned.

According to reports, more than one lakh subscribers have fallen prey to this new telecom terror attack as the frequency of such calls continues to grow. Intelligence agencies have reportedly confirmed to the service providers particularly in UP West telecom division that such a racket is no only under way but the menace is growing fast. "We are sure there must be some more similar combinations that the miscreants are using to clone the handsets and all the information stored in them," an intelligence officer told TOI.

General Manager (GM) BSNL, RV Verma, said the department had already issued alerts to all the broadband subscribers and now alert SMSes were being issued to other subscribers as well.

As per Rakshit Tandon, an IT expert who also teaches at the police academy (UP), the crooks can use other combination of numbers as well while making a call. "It is better not to respond to calls received from unusual calling numbers," says Tandon. "At the same time one should avoid storing specifics of their bank account, ATM/ Credit/Debit card numbers and passwords in their phone memory because if one falls a prey to such crooks then the moment your cell phone or sim are cloned, the data will be available to the crooks who can withdraw amount from your bank accounts as well," warns Punit Misra; an IT expert who also owns a consultancy in Lucknow.

The menace that threatens to steal the subscriber's information stored in the phone or external memory (sim, mmory & data cards) has a very scary side as well. Once cloned, the culprits can well use the cloned copy to make calls to any number they wish to. This exposes the subscribers to the threat of their connection being used for terror calls.
Though it will be established during the course of investigations that the cellphone has been cloned and misused elsewhere, it is sure to land the subscriber under quite some pressure till the time the fact about his or her phone being cloned and misused is established, intelligence sources said.

"It usually starts with a miss call from a number starting with + 92. The moment the subscriber calls back on the miss call, his or her cell phone is cloned. In case the subscribers takes the call before it is dropped as a miss call then the caller on the other end poses as a call center executive checking the connectivity and call flow of the particular service provider. The caller then asks the subscriber to press # 09 or # 90 call back on his number to establish that the connectivity to the subscriber was seamless," says a victim who reported the matter to the BSNL office at Moradabad last week. "The moment I redialed the caller number, my account balance lost a sum of money. Thereafter, in the three days that followed every time I got my cell phone recharged, the balance would be reduced to single digits within the next few minutes," he told the BSNL officials.
The headline was made up by me.
What the paki TOIlet journo fails to mention in his long article, is that +92 is the pakistani ISD code.

Can any expert explain how a mere callback can clone an entire SIM ....?
Does this mean that the whole paki wireless network is compromised at some critical level...?
It would be nice if other countries come together and agree to ban incoming and outgoing pak ISD calls.
Last edited by Lilo on 02 Jul 2012 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Kabul threatens to drag TSP to UNSC
Authorities in the eastern province of Kunar, a hotbed for Taliban, have complained for weeks of being bombarded from across the frontier, blaming the barrage on Pakistani security forces.

Thousands of villagers in Kunar fled their homes as a result of “Pakistani rocket shelling” in recent weeks, officials said last week.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Faramarz Tamana said Kabul was discussing the attacks with Islamabad and President Hamid Karzai would raise the matter with Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf when he visits in the coming weeks.

“If our bilateral discussions, regarding this issue, bring no result, we will refer this issue to the United Nations Security Council,” he told AFP.
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

The company trained khalistanis in Fairfax county Virginia
There was a investigative report Illustrated Weekly in 1984
Just before op BS

Added later
Even though this book is a fictionalized version of real events and little (pun intended) gloating and romanticized it still gives a lot of points to ponder to connect the velvet revolution the arab springs in deserts ( in reality mirages) when you connect them conceptually to Hungarian revolt in 1956 ( while Korean war was raging on in smoulders) and the Dubcheck revolution in Czechoslovakia(sp?)
Later on Gadansk uprising General Jaruselski (sp?)versus Lech Walesa (sp?)
The use of Pope to being hope to the felling of SU
Via Radio Free Europe like VOA broadcasts from Colombo beamed into India
The concepts remain same but the sophistication of the tools have exponentially increased
Yes with reading of Shyamd posting in how uncle is doing more than what the eye can meet
Will certainly make the likes of Peanab MMS shiver in their langotis not because they are afrid but they are totally afraid of losing the indian East India company ability to loot the country to bare bones.
Uncle is a loathe to stable world shred of BS and is scared of big and united countries like India
http://www.bookbrowse.com/reviews/index ... he-company
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

SSridhar wrote:Then, why does he say in the same stinking breath that the constitution is sacrosanct ?
We are talking about musharraf here. He speaks from both sides of his mouth, for that moment only. Decades from now, when people talk about perfidy and two-timedness, they will call it pakiness and musharfidy.
marimuthu
BRFite

Post by marimuthu »

anupmisra wrote:We are talking about musharraf here. He speaks from both sides of his mouth,from mouth on both sides of his body for that moment only. Decades from now, when people talk about perfidy and two-timedness, they will call it pakiness and musharfidy.
I think now it is correct
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Only hints! Come one try to learn to be objective for once. I guess it TOI still indulging in Aman ki Tamasha!

BTW how many closest allies does TSP have?

US, PRC, KSA, UP and MMS?
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

I think the release of Surjeet has been disgracefully handled by GoI. If he had spied for India, his family should have been handsomely (and quietly) compensated for what he has had to go through. He should then have been told not to speak to the Media. It is a huge embarrassment for him to declare on national TV that he was a spy and was abandoned by GoI.
The people who live along the border do

1. smuggle Paan leaves, alcohol,*****, etc to napakistan
2. Get drugs, opium, gold, etc from there.

These people are used by the MI on both sides through a small payment of one time job which is usually taking pictures, counting stuff, sending messages (posting letters,etc) but not to bomb civilians. Spies don't go to a foreign country and start bombing normal civilians (unless the spies are from naPakistan)

Many poor who work along the border regularly report what they have seen to local MI officers and get rewards for the information. So if a person thinks that he is a spy just because he/she has reported something, they usually become more daring and get caught by the other side. so this "Raw Spy" story is all baloney!!
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

http://dawn.com/2012/07/03/us-pakistan- ... ly-routes/
US, Pakistan expected to strike deal soon on supply routes
This will either end up with reopening of the supply route or this will end up becoming rental's "I was minutes away from solving the problem" moment.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Blasphemy accused severely beaten by infuriated mob

Poaqiciousviciousmaliciousidolatoricciousmess
FAISALABAD: Mob rule trumped the law on Sunday, when an infuriated crowd severely beat a man accused of blasphemy, within the jurisdiction of the Ghulam Muhammad Abad police station.According to the police, Faryad was being beaten by the mob when the police reached the spot and rescued him from the wrath of the crowd.According to the police, Faryad allegedly committed some blasphemous acts over which the residents of Marzi Pura caught him and severely thrashed and tortured him.Receiving information, the police reached the spot and rescued the accused from the mob, which staged a demonstration and blocked the road causing a massive traffic jam.They chanted slogans and demanded punishment for Faryad.When Gulberg DSP Chaudhry Ashiq Jatt and Lyalpur Town SP Zahid Mehmood Gondal reached the spot, they pacified the protesters by telling them action would be taken against the accused in accordance with the law.After this, the police registered an FIR on the complaint of Abdus Sattar, a resident of Marzipura, and started an investigation. The complainant is an activist of Tehreek Dawat-e-Islami and runs a hotel in the same locality.Sattar told The Express Tribune that the accused is a resident of Marzi Pura and has run a power loom repair shop in the area for 15 years. He added that “in the presence of one Muhammad Ashraf, Faryad uttered derogatory remarks against the Holy Prophet (pbuh).”According to Sattar, Faryad repeatedly made these remarks, and was reprimanded and asked not to commit blasphemy but “he refused to accept such warnings”.“Due to this indecent and blasphemous utterance and adamance of the accused, we decided to teach him a lesson and thrash him,” Sattar added.Faryad, 45, is married and has five children. The residents of the area said he was mentally sound and that he had always called himself a Muslim.DSP Jatt said, “The accused conceded that he committed blasphemy during an initial interrogation in police custody.”
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

In 1998 it was predicted that home brew of jihadi terrorist cells were being formed in India by ISI
So that TSP could blame India in this forum
Initially Aurangabad Hyderabad Aligarh and Cochin were identified for recruitment
LK ji was to have published a white paper but he showed it only select foreign diplomats
Ten years later we saw Mumbai massacre
When it comes national security be it NDA or UPA it's all the shame as pranabda would shay
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Jhujar wrote:Blasphemy accused severely beaten by infuriated mob

Poaqiciousviciousmaliciousidolatoricciousmess
FAISALABAD: Mob rule trumped the law on Sunday, when an infuriated crowd severely beat a man accused of blasphemy, within the jurisdiction of the Ghulam Muhammad Abad police station.According to the police, Faryad was being beaten by the mob when the police reached the spot and rescued him from the wrath of the crowd.According to the police, Faryad allegedly committed some blasphemous acts over which the residents of Marzi Pura caught him and severely thrashed and tortured him.
“The accused conceded that he committed blasphemy during an initial interrogation in police custody.”
What if this Faryad dude had changed his name to Mohammed. Then blasphemy accusation would have been reversed, no? You can't accuse Mohammed of committing blasphemy, can you? :mrgreen:
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

As predicted, For money Sake ,Pakistani are parading their women in front of Kuffar men

Pakistani Fashion Show in New York wins high praise
NEW YORK, July 2 (APP): Top Pakistani models and designers showcased their talent and creativity at a memorable Fashion Show held at Pakistan House in New York Sunday night, as part of the efforts to project the country's soft image.Over a dozen models wearing a range of flowing garments, including formal dresses, with intricate gold and silver thread work done on them, sashayed down the catwalk as Pakistani music played in the background.The models -- including Cybill Chaudry, Annie Ali and Irum Bukhari -- drew loud and sustained applause from a large and distinguished gathering of prominent Americans, diplomats and members of the Pakistani community.Pakistan's Beggassador to the United Nations, Fatdullah Hussain Haroon, was the guest of honour at the glittering event, which was organized by the Consulate General of Pakistan, New York, in collaboration with renowned experts Asim Yar Tiwana and Hamid Latif, Colour Director of Vidal Sassoon, New York..This is an exercise in cultural and public diplomacy to project positive image of Pakistan and to highlight Pakistani culture and heritage," said Consul-General Fakir Asif Hussain, the spirit behind the event.Welcoming the guests, Ass-if Huss Aain said, "With the world focused on Pakistan's problems in recent years, many other positive areas of the country, including its thriving fashion industry, have not received the recognition they deserve."Far from being confined within geographical borders, Pakistan Fashion has gone global, leaving its distinct mark on almost every major culture in the world."
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

When did they start exporting pros*utes
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Another Poaq Analburnizer

Nuclear de-hyphenation
Ass if Ez di
The writer is a former member of Choona Mandi Union.

The two issues – Western objections to the expansion of the Chashma nuclear power plant and the admission of India to the NSG – are of course not unrelated. They are in fact two sides of the same coin. Behind them are the same actors – US and India – and the same purpose, namely to legitimise India’s nuclear weapons programme while de-legitimising that of Pakistan, which is the key element of the US policy, announced by Bush and taken forward by Obama, to “de-hyphenate” its relations with Pakistan and India.China is the only major power to have offered resistance to the Indo-US designs. Most of the other major nuclear suppliers, which in the past had been insisting on the acceptance by India of “full-scope safeguards” on its nuclear programme (i.e., inspections of all nuclear facilities) as a condition for opening nuclear supplies, have fallen in line behind the US. They have done so either because they see lucrative business opportunities in the opening of the Indian nuclear market; or because they do not wish to displease a rising regional giant (and aspiring global power); or because they lack the capacity to stand up to heavy-handed pressure from the US.
Even the Zardari government, in its keenness to win favour with Washington, had decided in August 2008 not to oppose the approval of the safeguards agreement between India and the International Atomic Energy Agency, which was a prerequisite for the finalisation of the India-US nuclear deal. As Shah Mahmood Qureshi, then foreign minister, confirmed publicly more than three years later, Zardari personally ordered the cancellation of the instructions sent by the foreign ministry to the Pakistan delegation at the IAEA Board of Governors to demand equal treatment for Pakistan.After getting the NSG waiver, India’s next goal now is membership of the group. In November 2009, it publicly began its campaign for admission to the NSG, as well as three other international export-control regimes. But its foremost priority is entry into the NSG. India’s interest in joining the NSG stems not only from a desire to influence the group’s policies on the export of nuclear technology but, more important, because its membership would enable Delhi to block a possible future waiver in favour of Pakistan.The main argument advanced by those who are in favour of making India a member is that it would bring the country into the non-proliferation “mainstream.” The same “justification” was used in 2008 to exempt India from NSG guidelines. India itself has been making this point in its lobbying effort. Speaking at an international seminar hosted by India last April to push its case, the Indian foreign secretary declared that “it would be in the interest of the four [export-control] regimes that India’s exports are subject to the same framework as .The A Q Khan network gave the US a seemingly plausible reason to deny Pakistan a waiver from NSG rules. But the truth is that this is only a convenient excuse and that India was given a generous nuclear deal, mainly because it suited the US strategic design to “make India a global power” (Condoleezza Rice’s words) as a counterweight to the rise of China. Negotiations between Washington and Delhi on giving India access to nuclear technology (and excluding Pakistan) had been going on even before the A Q Khan network was discovered in October 2003, thanks to the decision of our old friend Muammar Qaddafi to “come clean” on his nuclear ambitions. It is only that the Musharraf regime did not notice what was afoot between Washington and Delhi, because his attention was focused on the far more important goal of gaining Washington’s blessing for his illegitimate rule.
For Zardari as well, retaining favour with Washington has a far higher priority than the lifting of the international ban on civil nuclear cooperation with Pakistan. Apart from the occasional whining over discriminatory treatment by the US, the Zardari government clearly has no policy in the matter.
The government has also completely ignored the recommendation made by the Parliament last April that in talks with the US on the revised terms of engagement, Pakistan should “seek” an agreement similar to the India-US nuclear deal. No one would suggest that Pakistan could have demanded such an agreement in return for the opening of the supply routes. But what the government could have done is to place the issue of civil nuclear cooperation firmly on the bilateral agenda. By failing to do so, Zardari has demonstrated once again that, while sitting in the Presidency, he is pursuing priorities that are personal, not national.