The Bharatiya - Identity, Vision, Agenda, Proposition

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Primus
BRFite

Re: The Bharatiya - Identity, Vision, Agenda, Proposition

Post by Primus »

sudarshan wrote:

Y'know, I can't figure out what Gandhi was after, either.

Years ago, a gori casually informed me that Gandhi was the first leader (PM/ prez) of (modern) India. I was shocked, and hastened to inform her that was not the case. While I was pretty annoyed at her casual presumption that Gandhi would have automatically become the first leader of independent India, I guess it was an understandable error. Pretty much every liberator in every other part of the world has gone on to be the political leader as well. Ho Chi Minh, de Gaulle, Mandela, Bolivar. So what was different about Gandhi?

Seemed like he was genuinely disinterested in political power. He stepped out of the way and let a younger guy take that mantle. That the younger guy was the bandit chacha, is of course India's misfortune. Was it age? Not really, Advani in his 90's couldn't resist the temptation. Gandhi seems like a very paradoxical person.
Just last night, talking to my kids - who both grew up here - the topic of Gandhi and Nehru came up. They both said they thought IG was Gandhi's daughter or otherwise related to him. When I told them she was Nehru's daughter (and explained that still unclear mystery of Feroz's origins), they were shocked. They know about Bose and his INA but did not know that it was he who was responsible for throwing the Britshits out and not Gandhi. There has been so much disinformation over the years that it is not surprising people know so little.

Perhaps it is my fault, not having taught them Indian history. But it is a sign that most people in the world outside of India are clueless about Gandhi the 'Mahatma' and the Die-nasty that bears the same name.
SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Primus wrote:
sudarshan wrote:

But it is a sign that most people in the world outside of India are clueless about Gandhi the 'Mahatma' and the Die-nasty that bears the same name.
Primus
Me thinks that this was all deliberate and cleverly manipulated by the Father and Daughter to fool the gullibles.
Marriage to Feroze was to this most likely
Never Who quiet smartly used 'Mahatma'
If ever in UK(I DONT KNOW IF THEY STILL HAVE CHURCHILL'S SPEECH in the Imperial War Museum about India/Indians and why the Brits have to look after us :lol: :lol: ) you should listen to it.
It is exactly what the Congi's in conjunction with the Lootyens and the Baboo's did to us.
We just swapped one set of rulers with the other.
And the poor commoners were led to believe that indeed Indira was 'Mahatma's' daughter.
And none of his own progeny were there to either refute or challenge this assumption.!! :roll:
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

http://www.dam.brown.edu/people/mumford ... imple.html

This article was posted by David Mumford, a Fields Medalist in algebraic geometry, and Prof. Emeritus, Brown University and Harvard.

Why his views are important is because the following two reasons:

1. He has a very healthy respect for Indian Mathematics.
2. On the other hand, he was one of the signatories to a letter sent to IITM when IITM failed (?) or some such thing with a few SC/ST students who were not able to come up to speed.

Here is a quote tfrom the blog article. Ensuing dicussion on Disqus is also very interesting. Nither Mumford nor the responders (who tried to oppose him on certain points related India) are not even wrong. They simply don't have any deep understanding of India or Indian Nationalism nor an idea of "Hindutva". Prof. Mumford quotes several Wikipedia articles in his blog.
What has two sides and is oversimplified is not slavery vs. human rights. Human rights is seen by a large percentage of the world's population as morally right, while slavery and social death to people living alongside us is seen as morally wrong. The biggest problem is not even that it is given merely lip service by many. The worst problem is that it is still flatly rejected in practice by so many countries. India, for example, consigns nearly all its Dalits, the untouchables, to virtual slavery. Most Dalits inherit lifelong jobs such as manually cleaning latrines with no personal protective equipment (PPE) which often causes them to die from this job. The Indian rallying cry "Hindutva" has justified massacres of Muslims.
This is egregious to say the least. He is British-American.
Mumford was born in Worth, West Sussex in England, of an English father and American mother. His father William started an experimental school in Tanzania and worked for the then newly created United Nations.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

This is an example of irony. A man who rails at 'upper caste oppression of Dalits' and 'evil Hindutva', but behaves exactly like the figurative 'evil upper caste Hindooo himself' - wants others to treat him as a subject matter authority even though he's a complete nobody whom no one is obligated to take seriously, but imagines his skin color and Field's Medal in a totally unrelated area gives him the authority to speak about whatever he things he can throw his weight around about. He's quite literally behaving like some 'wicked upper caste Dalit oppressor' himself. He has absolutely no authority except what he thinks his race and accomplishment in entirely unrelated matters gives him the authority to debate.

This is a very common trait of white intellectuals. More than anything else, they covet control over the narrative. THEY establish the narrative. They decide who has or doesn't have credibility. Others are to react and respond, whereupon they decide whether those responses are sufficient. This extends even to the 'woke liberal' domain - the white folks control what goes and what doesn't - the non whites are simply weaponized to push the 'right' narrative and shame the rest into silence.

I haven't read the Disqus comments. But I've taken on similar behavior in the following manner:
White 'intellectual': <makes some daft assertion, not a subject matter expert, mostly Wikipedia educated>
Me: Your arguments have no standing.
WI: And yet you have no credible rebuttal ?
Me: I don't even recognize your credibility or authority to speak on this topic. You don't deserve to be taken seriously. You know nothing more on this topic than what you've hastily googled. I can manipulate my responses to you that'll make you go looking in Wikipedia again and find bogus articles I wrote just to prove you wrong. Explain why you have the authority to speak on this ? I'm more than willing to play this game in kind and manipulate you, and then judge you for it.

It's not clear to me why anyone should take Prof.Mumford seriously when he's talking about stuff where he as the same level of authority as Kim Kardashian or Jerry Lewis.

If there's one thing that really embarrasses this demographic with their implicit assumption that they set the RoEs of any intellectual engagement, it's the open discrediting of their standing to gas about things they're a nobody in. And I have no qualms about immediately cutting them short and leaving them no option but to assert 'respect my authority', which is to be coolly refused, and turned around again to mock them more.

Is Prof Mumford going to treat Prof Manjul Bhargava - another Fields Medalist - as an exponent of British class and race dynamics the moment the latter starts a blog about it, and treat him with due deference ? Nope. Prof.Bhargava will get the 'who the cluck are you to talk about this ? Maybe you should fix your own problems first' treatment. Prof Mumford does not deserve any respect or regard here.

This goes further as a larger picture. Scholarship and narratives about India must be driven and controlled by Indian nationalist sources, only. We decide who's right, who has the right to be considered any sort of significant scholar in the matter. For about two centuries now, western scholars have been teaching India its own history, regardless of the fact that most of them, including Mumford here, are quacks with no authority. We have famed western Indologists who claim to be the ultimate source of Indology while being unable to read basic Sanskrit - something a 6th std schoolkid can easily outdo them at. Part of taking back control is about having no qualms about mocking anyone with delusions of their own standing, regardless of how high a pedestal they stand upon. The Chinese in comparison as absolutely assiduous about controlling the narrative of their own history.
RaviB
BRFite

Post by RaviB »

Primus wrote:
sudarshan wrote:
<snip>

Gandhi seems like a very paradoxical person.
Just last night, talking to my kids - who both grew up here - the topic of Gandhi and Nehru came up. They both said they thought IG was Gandhi's daughter or otherwise related to him. When I told them she was Nehru's daughter (and explained that still unclear mystery of Feroz's origins), they were shocked. They know about Bose and his INA but did not know that it was he who was responsible for throwing the Britshits out and not Gandhi. There has been so much disinformation over the years that it is not surprising people know so little.

Perhaps it is my fault, not having taught them Indian history. But it is a sign that most people in the world outside of India are clueless about Gandhi the 'Mahatma' and the Die-nasty that bears the same name.
Sudarshan ji, I agree, I myself have had perspectives on Gandhi that keep swinging around like a pendulum. From the initial school book, descriptions where my reaction was mostly to be bored. Then watching the movie Gandhi where I began to appreciate him for the first time. Then coming to university and learning more about the Indian freedom movement and thinking of him as a fraud foisted upon us. Then a renewed appreciation for his non-violent politics that inspired so many and the moral imprint he left on so many Indians. In that early period we desperately needed a larger than life Mahatma and he filled that need.

Today, I still hold a respect for him as a person who valued his convictions over his life while at the same time accepting that that might have delayed our independence by quite a few years and also that the Indian state took his morality more seriously than we as a people did. The state cannot afford morality.

Primus ji, I am in a similar situation as yours. My sons are 10 and 12. I tried to keep them in touch with their heritage, only spoke to them in Hindi since they were born, they spoke it well but then stopped when they started school. I narrated Mahabharata to them as a bed time story, etc.

Now I wanted to introduce them to modern India and we watched the movie Gandhi together. I think a lot of it went over their head. But there was the point where the English are trying to stop Indians from collecting salt, and the police beat down the Indians as they advance one by one. And then my son asks: "why do these Brits look Indian?". I didn't get it but then I realised that he did not understand that it was Indians beating down other Indians and the Brits were just in command. I did not even know where to start explaining it. I guess I'll have to think a bit more carefully about the next film we watch.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Suraj wrote:He has absolutely no authority except what he thinks his race and accomplishment in entirely unrelated matters gives him the authority to debate.
As you said previously in one of your posts, what we need to do is to counter him on his blog. He is too far gone to convince him anymore. But we need to educate the bystanders who might be taking in every word he utters on any topic as the gospel truth. I neither have the rhetorical skills nor the scholarship in this area of Upper Caste/Lower Caste dynamics. What is apparent to me at the very outset is that Prof. Mumford is totally out of touch with how far India has come in terms of intercaste and inter-religion relations in the past 70+ years. My guess is that he is being fed pap by some his friends/colleagues at elite places like TIFR/IISc/IITs/Harish-Chandra/MatScinces which aligns with his outdated understanding. I think confirmation bias is at work here.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Oh HIS blog ? No, the platform has to be elsewhere - not necessarily mainstream like Swarajyamag but a well written and carefully curated blog, with links leading to it on Mumford's site, taking away his readership.

There's an easily identifiable symptom amongst British upper class and its aspirants, who project their own class prejudices upon India to deflect from their own attitudes. Why do we need to say we've improved recently ? The Indian constitution was authored by an untouchable who directed the entire effort and had upper caste people under his wing, who worked willingly and respected him as the the clearly most ablest one.

Western belief systems are programmed to see themselves at the top of the pole. Others 'explaining in detail' are simply reacting, to be manipulated, have words put in their mouths, and otherwise clearly not in charge . When someone starts off by being a dense oiseaule, it needs to be very clear that first his own supposed competence is going to be ripped to shreds.

I would never ever seek to defend in these circumstances. I'd demand that he show us all the black and non white British PMs, or royals for that matter. It may be motivated, but the goal is not to be fair and balanced, or to win hearts. Was the man, despite his lofty accomplishments, fair and balanced ? No. He needs to be humiliated accordingly for his impertinence, and then only a nice proper message offered.

One does not control their own narrative by being a nice boy and offering nice well written explanations. This is not a classroom.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

Suraj wrote: There's an easily identifiable symptom amongst British upper class and its aspirants, who project their own class prejudices upon India to deflect from their own attitudes. Why do we need to say we've improved recently ? The Indian constitution was authored by an untouchable who directed the entire effort and had upper caste people under his wing, who worked willingly and respected him as the the clearly most ablest one.
And even Dr B.R. Ambedkar, when complimented on his legal prowess, simply said that his friend the so called upper caste Alladi Krishnaswamy Ayyar was even better than him. The point is, they made the constitution as Indians not as low caste Hindus or high caste Hindus.

And we owe that explanation to no one. If he doesn't care to research the facts and then comment, then he needs to be ignored and mocked like all the other Tom Dick and Harry we see on the street.

China has already shown us the way when dealing with this 'western intellectuals'. So all we have to do is adopt it.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

Primusji and RaviBji, from what I have seen, if the young people are nudged in the right direction, they will the tread the path on their own. They will form their own opinions by searching them on the net.

But you have to feed a constant source of good material on India in the formative years. And to do that, one of ways is YouTube. The children are familiar with it and spend loads of time on it. So watching reaction channels of American Indians on Indian culture like Raksha bandhan or Holi etc in YouTube can help in making them understand India. They might even relate to the kids on the channel who are growing up as Americans but have started embracing their Indian culture. Also I have seen a lot of the people who do reaction channels, change and become more dharmic after been introduced to the good side of Indian culture.

If you want, I can list those channels which are pro India, pro dharmic culture and pro dharmic history. One of the example is Karolina Goswami's India in Detail.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

Del
Last edited by Yayavar on 18 Aug 2020 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

AshishAcharya wrote:And even Dr B.R. Ambedkar, when complimented on his legal prowess, simply said that his friend the so called upper caste Alladi Krishnaswamy Ayyar was even better than him. The point is, they made the constitution as Indians not as low caste Hindus or high caste Hindus.

And we owe that explanation to no one.
Youngsters these days have the right attitude :)

I find the concept of '"need to educate the bystanders" a nonsensical comment here. These bystanders are willingly learning about this stuff from a mathematician quoting wikipedia. Same as learning brain surgery from a quack quoting wikipedia. What does that tell you about these bystanders ?

Historical narrative isn't built on persuasive brotherly interaction. Maybe that happened between Advaita and Buddhist schools, but that was over a millenium ago. Max Mueller, Witzel, Wendy and the rest did not establish themselves through scholarly gentlemanly/ladylike exchange with other schools of thought. They beat the other guys on the head with a stick, dehumanized them, and established their narrative.

The assertion of historical narrative is not and has never been an academic exercise. It is a power game. Folks like Rajiv Malhotra need continuous covering fire, instead of being both the domain expert and storm trooper in one. Ecosystems are built by keeping the core of experts safe from attack and letting them build a peer-reviewed basis of narrative. One doesn't worry about RM himself saying what he does - the job of covering fire is to take on those attacking him, not to take on him!

There's nothing gentlemanly about any of this. If I randomly ran into Mumford and he inquired about my caste, I'd respond by asking him when they started giving out Fields Medals in sociological quackery. As Ashish said, I'll explain nothing, I'll continuously mock his impertinence. The only ones who get a dialogue are those who come forth at the outset demonstrating humility about their ignorance and an open mind to learn. Half baked quacks don't get that.
banrjeer
BRFite

Post by banrjeer »

Primus wrote:
sudarshan wrote:

Years ago, a gori casually informed me that Gandhi was the first leader (PM/ prez) of (modern) India. I was shocked, and hastened to inform her that was not the case. While I was pretty annoyed at her casual presumption that Gandhi would have automatically become the first leader of independent India, I guess it was an understandable error. Pretty much every liberator in every other part of the world has gone on to be the political leader as well. Ho Chi Minh, de Gaulle, Mandela, Bolivar. So what was different about Gandhi?

Seemed like he was genuinely disinterested in political power. He stepped out of the way and let a younger guy take that mantle. That the younger guy was the bandit chacha, is of course India's misfortune. Was it age? Not really, Advani in his 90's couldn't resist the temptation. Gandhi seems like a very paradoxical person.

I see a lot of strange assumptions about Feroze Gandhi. He was pretty a well known figure in Allahabad. My grandfather knew him. He was Parsi and close to IGs mom
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

I find it really humiliating that we are the subject of 'study' of these 'westerners' as if we are some kind of specimen that needs to be studied, dissected and put under the categories already decided by the narratives set by the very people who believe that they are civilizing the natives.

As Suraj ji rightly pointed out it's a power game. Unless we make these fake intellectuals pay, they are going to keep spouting BS. And as to how we can make them pay? Here's a example - A Prof in Australia said something in his class about the Chinese occupation of Tibet. And the reaction from Chinese students was swift. They boycotted his class, took up the matter with Chinese embassy, they applied pressure on the college and then the prof was forced to apologize.

In USA, you cannot write the history, or do any kind of study involving Chinese culture/hisotry without the approval of the CCP. Even the Chinese history taught in US universities is the CCP prescribed one. They have a iron grip over what these 'Intellectuals' write, speak and teach about China.

We need to the same. And it can happen, if Government and Indians studying in these institutions are strong and can make people like wendy and co pay dearly.
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

PM Modiji saying the exact things about the youth of this country what we had discussed in the previous threads. The top leadership recognises the pulse of young India.
RaviB
BRFite

Post by RaviB »

AshishAcharya wrote:Primusji and RaviBji, from what I have seen, if the young people are nudged in the right direction, they will the tread the path on their own. They will form their own opinions by searching them on the net.

But you have to feed a constant source of good material on India in the formative years. And to do that, one of ways is YouTube. The children are familiar with it and spend loads of time on it. So watching reaction channels of American Indians on Indian culture like Raksha bandhan or Holi etc in YouTube can help in making them understand India. They might even relate to the kids on the channel who are growing up as Americans but have started embracing their Indian culture. Also I have seen a lot of the people who do reaction channels, change and become more dharmic after been introduced to the good side of Indian culture.

If you want, I can list those channels which are pro India, pro dharmic culture and pro dharmic history. One of the example is Karolina Goswami's India in Detail.
Thank you. My biggest problem is that my kids stopped speaking Hindi once they started school. They only speak German so even though there's a lot of stuff in English on youtube, it's not something they understand. Usually story telling and the very few dubbed into German Hindi movies is what I use. Please do list the channels, I'm sure others would find it useful and maybe I can use it to inform myself and then interpret it for my kids.
titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

RaviB wrote:
AshishAcharya wrote:Primusji and RaviBji, from what I have seen, if the young people are nudged in the right direction, they will the tread the path on their own. They will form their own opinions by searching them on the net.

Thank you. My biggest problem is that my kids stopped speaking Hindi once they started school. They only speak German so even though there's a lot of stuff in English on youtube, it's not something they understand. Usually story telling and the very few dubbed into German Hindi movies is what I use. Please do list the channels, I'm sure others would find it useful and maybe I can use it to inform myself and then interpret it for my kids.
Primus-ji and RaviB-ji,

We got rid of our LCD TV after our son was born (in all fairness, he pushed it down, it cracked, and I simply didn't replace it). We also give him zero screen time. It has by far been the best decision we made as parents.

Books, specially Amar Chitra Katha & older Tinkle comics are the best ways to ingest our culture in a comic book avatar, and are much easily internalized by kids. "Gods & Godesses", "Dasha avatar", 3 x 14 volume "Mahabharata", "History Collection", etc. are the best way to make them understand who we are and where we come from.

We have made the effort for him to be trilingual (english, hindi, bengali) and while the default behavior is to veer towards english in the presence of a peer group, what worked extremely well is to establish a "this person --> this language" mandate. Quite simply put:
Baba, Ma --> Bengali only
Alok Uncle, Rajan Uncle --> Hindi only
Random white guy --> English only

EDITED: one other thing I learnt over time, is it's not enough to say let's chant xxx mantras together, or light this lamp during pooja. It's also important to explain why i.e. why should we light this lamp, what is the objective of chanting this mantra, what is the role of a sadguru and kuladevata, why this ritual matters, etc.

Of course...this depends on whether the child has a natural curiosity, or is willing to accept instructions with no questions. Both kinds of people need to be addressed
AshishA
BRFite

Post by AshishA »

Excellent suggestions from titash ji. As for the reaction channels and some Indic channels here's the list. Right now it's small as I had reduced my youtube intake some time ago. Hopefully, when I will remember more, I will add it to the list.

https://www.youtube.com/c/IndiaInDetails
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLE8M ... 0JQhVtiNBA
https://www.youtube.com/c/IndianAmericanVlogger
manish singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by manish singh »

Kuldeep M Pai does a stellar service of infusing the abundance of Indian cultural heritage into the younger generations.
https://www.kuldeepmpai.com/

Whether it is Maruti bhajan such as this that can be sung even by little kids.

Or Tulsidas' Shri Ram Stuti sung by Sooryagayathri. Listened to this many times during bhoomi poojan days.

Or listening to Navadurgas singing Mahishasura Marddini Sthothram during Navratri.

SRajesh
BRF Oldie

Post by SRajesh »

Ant and Grasshopper - Indian Version of story - too good and fact(Very interesting and worth sharing)

Original Story:

The Ant works hard in the withering heat all summer building its house and laying up supplies for the winter. The Grasshopper thinks the Ant is a fool and laughs dances plays the summer away. Come winter, the Ant is warm and well fed. The Grasshopper has no food or shelter so he dies out in the cold.

Indian Version:

The Ant works hard in the withering heat all summer building its house and laying up supplies for the winter. The Grasshopper thinks the Ant's a fool and laughs dances plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering Grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the Ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.

NDTV, Times Now, CNN IBN, BBC, CNN , Asianet show up to provide pictures of the shivering Grasshopper next to a video of the Ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.

The World is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be that this poor Grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Arundhati Roy stages a demonstration in front of the Ant's house.

Medha Patkar goes on a fast along with other Grasshoppers demanding that Grasshoppers be relocated to warmer climates during winter .

Mayawati states this as 'injustice' done on Minorities.

The Internet is flooded with online petitions seeking support to the Grasshopper

CPM in Kerala immediately passes a law preventing Ants from working hard in the heat so as to bring about equality of poverty among Ants and Grasshoppers.

Railway minister allocates one free coach to Grasshoppers on all Indian Railway Trains, aptly named as the 'Grasshopper Rath'.

Finally, the Judicial Committee drafts the 'Prevention of Terrorism Against Grasshoppers Act'[POTAGA] , with effect from the beginning of the winter..

Education minister makes 'Special Reservation' for Grasshoppers in Educational Institutions in Government Services.

The Ant is fined for failing to comply with POTAGA and having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, it's home is confiscated by Government and handed over to the Grasshopper in a ceremony covered by NDTV, Times Now, CNN IBN, BBC, CNN.

Arundhati Roy calls it 'A Triumph of Justice'.

Railway minister calls it 'Socialistic Justice'.

CPM calls it 'Revolutionary Resurgence of Downtrodden'

Many years later...

The Ant has since migrated to the US and set up a multi-billion dollar company in Silicon Valley ,

100s of Grasshoppers still die of starvation despite reservation somewhere in India ,

....AND

As a result of losing lot of hard working Ants and feeding the grasshoppers, India is still a developing country...!!

I don’t know whose creative work this is but so relevant and worth sharing
Was sent this by a friend