China Watch Thread-I

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Re: China Watch Thread-I

Post by sanjaykumar »

What savages.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Here are some more good reasons to be cautious about people, this time Chinese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OsBkTQGcGk

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread387291/pg1

http://giveupinternet.com/2011/05/26/th ... ns-asians/

Gulp: I think I just creeped myself out.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

The Peoples Republic of China’s deep seated racism on display. PRC flag carrier Air China prints tips in inflight magazine advising that “precautions are needed when entering areas mainly populated by Indians, Pakistanis and black people". While PRC racism towards Indian and African origin people is not surprising, overt addition of those originating in PRC’s Higher Than Himalayas, Deeper than Indian Ocean, Sweeter than Honey, Purer than Ever Flowing Water, Closer than Lips to Teeth Iron Brother the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is surprising as I would have thought the PRC would have kept racism here covert:

Row as Air China warns of London's 'Indian, Pakistani and black' neighbourhoods
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Where did everybody from the G20 'ghost town' go?
Most of the nine million residents of the city Hangzhou were actively encouraged to get out of town as security was ramped up. Factories were closed so the visiting world leaders could breathe less polluted air. Car travel in Hangzhou was restricted by registration numbers (even number registrations were allowed to travel one day, odd on the others days). Residents were given a paid week of work to gently prod them into leaving.

The result, as the BBC and other and other media organisations reported, was that outside the summit bubble Hangzhou was largely turned into a ghost town.
Empty streets of HangzhouImage copyright

So where did all those people go?

If the extraordinary scenes captured on social media are anything to go by, the city's residents seemed to have taken full advantage of the tourist vouchers that they were offered by China's government. Reports say that 10 billion Yuan ($1.5 billion) worth of vouchers to visit tourist sites were distributed.
Bheeshma
BRFite

Post by Bheeshma »

Isn't that what they did in the Beijing olympics too. Herded the poor and shut them in ghetto's? Wonder if brazil copied it from the chinese. Won't be surprized if the chinese economy ends up like brazil. Its a big ponzi scheme after all.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

sanjaykumar wrote:Here are some more good reasons to be cautious about people, this time Chinese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OsBkTQGcGk

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread387291/pg1

http://giveupinternet.com/2011/05/26/th ... ns-asians/

I actually married one of those reptilian women. As the video say, they are of a superior design. Slim, hairless, impossibly smooth to the touch and a coloring pleasing to me (and my mother.) Mine still wears and looks great in a bikini in her mid thirties and after having two children. Maybe it helped that that her skin was tempered by Californian sunshine and ocean waves and her body shaped by volleyball and swimming in university. She wears the choli (with or without the sari) in public and even in a NYC winter.
Gulp: I think I just creeped myself out.
Perhaps, but that makes each tussle in bed so much more fun even after all these years. It is also nice to parade her around goras. For some reason it gets them more riled up than desis with gori wives.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

arun wrote:The Peoples Republic of China’s deep seated racism on display. PRC flag carrier Air China prints tips in inflight magazine advising that “precautions are needed when entering areas mainly populated by Indians, Pakistanis and black people". While PRC racism towards Indian and African origin people is not surprising, overt addition of those originating in PRC’s Higher Than Himalayas, Deeper than Indian Ocean, Sweeter than Honey, Purer than Ever Flowing Water, Closer than Lips to Teeth Iron Brother the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is surprising as I would have thought the PRC would have kept racism here covert:

Row as Air China warns of London's 'Indian, Pakistani and black' neighbourhoods

They are not very politically correct are they? They need to learn better psy-ops if they want to rule the world.

Even if you think it, don't say it! Even especially if it involved your high as the mountains and deep as the seas paki friends.

**Deleted** No wonder no one dates them, even their own women.
Last edited by SSridhar on 09 Sep 2016 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: inappropriate usage. User warned.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

chola wrote: I actually married one of those reptilian women. As the video say, they are of a superior design. Slim, hairless, impossibly smooth to the touch and a coloring pleasing to me (and my mother.) Mine still wears and looks great in a bikini in her mid thirties and after having two children. Maybe it helped that that her skin was tempered by Californian sunshine and ocean waves and her body shaped by volleyball and swimming in university. She wears the choli (with or without the sari) in public and even in a NYC winter.

Perhaps, but that makes each tussle in bed so much more fun even after all these years. It is also nice to parade her around goras. For some reason it gets them more riled up than desis with gori wives.
The China watch thread is an appropriate place to describe one's wife, especially if she's Chinese. Thanks for sharing.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

chola, 786+ :)
I also have a friend whose wife is chinese. She was also my student during her residency training days.
seems down to earth type from what I know unlike the press carciature. sort of dharmic in some sense.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Sorry Chola. No offence meant. My partner is East Asian. And yeah whitey do go wild.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

Beijing will hold 'necessary talks' with Air China over London travel advice

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/08/beijing- ... dvice.html

excerpts:
Hua was responding to a furor that erupted after CNBC drew attention to a feature on London in the September edition of Wings of China, Air China's inflight magazine.

The feature warned tourists, "London is generally a safe place to travel, however precautions are needed when entering areas mainly populated by Indians, Pakistanis and black people."

Bhurishravas
BRFite

Post by Bhurishravas »

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china ... SKCN11G02Q
China eyes closer military ties with Myanmar
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

China Watch Thread-I

Post by Peregrine »

How Uighur militants are affecting China, at home and abroad

BEIJING: The suicide bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Kyrgyzstan on August 30 highlighted the expanding threat of an ethnic Uighur militant group called the East Turkestan Islamic Movement — and the growing Chinese involvement in Syria and Afghanistan to combat it The ETIM, also known as the Turkistan Islamic Party, has sought for decades to establish an independent state in China's far west for the repressed Muslim Uighur minority. The group has recently formally pledged allegiance to al-Qaida and has expanded its global operations, sending at least hundreds of fighters to Syria to wage holy war and carrying out attacks against Chinese overseas targets.

Discrimination and settlers fuel discontent, riot

Uighurs (pronounced WEE-gurs) are a Turkic-speaking Muslim ethnic group native to China's far western region of Xinjiang, which was sporadically controlled by Chinese dynasties over the centuries. They have long complained of ethnic and religious discrimination under the majority Han, Communist Chinese government, which has placed restrictions on Islamic dress, education, food and prayer. Several decades of economic development have brought an influx of ethnic Han settlers into resource-rich Xinjiang, marginalizing Uighurs and fueling discontent that culminated in a deadly 2009 riot. Overseas Uighur groups and analysts have urged China to reconsider heavy-handed policies that could lead to Uighur radicalization, but with little effect. In 2014, China sentenced the economist and Uighur advocate Ilham Tohti to life imprisonment on separatism charges after he made calls for Chinese-Uighur reconciliation and greater economic justice.

Separatists find common ground with jihadis in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria

The decades-old Uighur separatist movement built its ties with fundamentalist and militant groups in the 1990s, when it settled in Afghanistan under Taliban protection. But both the Taliban and al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden discouraged the group against attacking China, which they viewed as a shared enemy of the West. The ETIM, considered a terrorist organization by the United States, the EU and other countries, was believed to be pushed into Pakistan's tribal areas after the US-led invasion of Afghanistan, but it moves between the countries' porous border. After years of existing on the fringes of the global jihadi movement, Uighur militants began to make a name for themselves in 2015 in Syria, where most fought alongside al-Qaida's affiliate and swayed several key battles against pro-Assad Syrian forces. Both the Islamic State and al-Qaida have repeatedly sought to recruit them by highlighting the plight of Chinese Uighurs and condemning China's treatment of Muslims.

Militants target Chinese interests abroad

On August 30, a man crashed a van packed with 100 kilograms (220 pounds) of TNT into the Chinese diplomatic compound in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, killing himself and wounding five people. Kyrgyz officials identified the bomber as Zoir Khalimov, an ethnic Uighur member of ETIM who carried out the attack with support from the Nusra Front, the al-Qaida affiliate in Syria.
In Thailand, a trial began last month for two Uighur men charged with an August 2015 bombing that killed 20 people at a busy Bangkok shrine. The attack came weeks after Thailand forcibly repatriated scores of Uighurs to China, where they faced persecution. Chinese officials said the Uighurs were on their way to fight in Syria when they were arrested.

China raises international involvement to battle militants

Although it has not deployed troops, the People's Liberation Army has ramped up its overseas involvement. A PLA admiral visited Syrian and Russian officials in Damascus in August to pledge non-military support for their war effort, adding to the conflict's complicated political picture. China has also offered training for Afghan police and tried to broker talks between the Taliban and Afghan government to stabilize another region it considers a haven for the ETIM.
Cheers Image
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

An entire bridge in China collapsed. The other bridge right beside it is still standing and people are brave enough to be on it with their cars and watch the collapsed bridge.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

Russia-China economic bromance faltering...........

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russi ... rs-n645291

well, dang it all......
Russian-Chinese trade fell by 5 percent year-on-year to $28 billion in the first six months of 2016, mainly because of plummeting prices for commodities such as oil, gas, lumber, metal and coal, Russia's main exports. At the same time, the U.S. remains China's most important economic relationship with bilateral trade between the two hitting $263 billion in the first half of this year.

According to Gilbert Rozman, an expert on Asia at Princeton University, Russia "exaggerated the prospects for an alliance too soon."

In theory, Chinese lenders and investors were expected to help compensate for the Western sanctions over Moscow's annexation of Ukraine's Crimea peninsula and alleged meddling in that country's civil war.

But those sanctions hit Russia hard.
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

apologies if posted before
http://time.com/4302882/china-arctic-sh ... t-passage/
China has declared that it plans to ship cargo through the Northwest Passage, a series of waterways in the Arctic Circle over which Canada claims sovereignty.
Chinese maritime authorities tacitly declared the news by printing a lengthy guide to Arctic shipping and navigation; a state spokesperson then confirmed it to reporters on Tuesday, the Globe and Mail reports.
“There will be ships with Chinese flags sailing through this route in the future,” spokesperson Liu Pengfei said.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 307923.cms
more than half of China's infrastructure investment has destroyed economic value instead of generating it, according to a study from the University of Oxford's Said Business School."The evidence suggests that for over half of the infrastructure investments in China made in the last three decades the costs are larger than the benefits they generate," according to Atif Ansar, one of the study's co-authors.
......."the country is headed for an infrastructure-led national financial and economic crisis, which is likely also to be a crisis for the international economy," according to the analysis that's published in the Oxford Review of Economic Policy. Researchers examined 21 large rail projects and 74 road projects whose starting dates ranged from 1984 to 2008. They then compared the economic value of those to 806 transport projects built in rich democracies.
Oxford study found that 75 per cent of the transport projects in China exceeded budget. While one third of the roads built were congested, 41 per cent of them have low usage. Both extremes are equally undesirable because "large unused capacity equals waste, as does too little capacity," according to the paper.
The buildup has also exacerbated China's swelling debt as cost overruns equal about a third of the nation's $28.2 trillion debt mountain, according to the paper.
"China's infrastructure investment model is not one to follow for other countries but one to avoid," the researchers wrote
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

IndiaTodayFLASHVerified account ‏@IndiaTodayFLASH Sep 4
China willing to work with India to maintain their hard-won sound relations and further advance their cooperation: President Xi Jinping #RE
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Prem wrote:IndiaTodayFLASHVerified account ‏@IndiaTodayFLASH Sep 4
China willing to work with India to maintain their hard-won sound relations and further advance their cooperation: President Xi Jinping #RE
Which is why it is blocking our NSG entry and putting stupid conditions.
Shankk
BRFite

Post by Shankk »

I have couple of questions to Chinese visitors on this thread.

1. If historical references is the basis of Chinese claims on large amount of territory, why does she not recognize the same in India's case? Heck entire Pakistan belongs to India if history is the yardstick. I know the official answer and reason behind it but looking for an answer from Chinese aam admi.

2. How many x'tians are in Chinese power corridor both political and military at influential position? If we look at the history, church often plays a subversive role in the country that is defiant to x'tian power center (set of countries). Strictly my opinion but I do not trust the church as an organization. They will not get noticed and fly under the radar but while showing off as Chinese nationalists they might be influential in steering China in an adverse position with countries around it. Slowly China is being isolated in her immediate neighborhood and otherwise also. Whatever remnant alliances are mostly propped up by their forex reserves rather than shared interests with them.

Just how influential individual x'tians are in China in a position to make policy decisions at various levels?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Shankk wrote:I . . . If historical references is the basis of Chinese claims on large amount of territory . . .
At least, on the Indo-China Sea front, China's 'historical references' as the basis of claims, are completely bogus. There is no history. It just goes back to arbitrary drawing of 11 dashes in 1947 by the Kuomintang government.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

An old video....could have been posted before.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

The End of China Inc? - 101 East: 18 Billion SQ feet of empty buildings and debt almost 400 of GDP .Now put Trump's victory in perspective. Aik Dhakka Owwr dho, CHina Inc Torr Dho.

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

China’s troubled north-east provinces face political headwinds - Atul Aneja, The Hindu
China’s Liaoning province has been rocked by a major corruption scandal that has paralysed the provincial administration, bringing into focus the political and economic woes of north-east China.

Earlier this month, 523 members of the Liaoning Provincial People’s Congress were accused of large scale bribery that was apparently critical in enabling them become local lawmakers. All of them have either resigned or have been disqualified. Consequently, the entire provincial administration has become virtually dysfunctional.

Speculation is rife that greasing palms has not been uncommon among sections of China’s ambitious political class, especially at the local level. In China’s pyramidal political structure, local representatives from the the 2,852 counties, advance some of their peers to the next rung of the political ladder, with powerful bodies that run the provincial legislature, as an important midway destination.

But it is in this process of achieving upward political mobility that large scale politicking and vote-buying has come into focus. In 2013, a major vote-buying scandal in the Hunan province had grabbed national headlines, leading to large scale sacking of lawmakers.

Analysts say apart from structural issues, historical factors could be behind the multiple crises rocking Liaoning province, part of the northeast China, which is also encountering serious economic difficulties.

Economic factor

“Rich in coal and other mineral resources, Liaoning and neighbouring Heilongjiang provinces benefited from the first wave of industrialisation, led by state-enterprises, backed frequently by the former Soviet Union,” said a former official who did not wish to be named. But hundreds of thousands lost their jobs, with economic restructuring of the state-owned enterprises kicking in at the turn of the century. “Unfortunately massive unemployment encouraged criminilisation and desperation to acquire political influence,” he explained.

A recent article in the state-run Global Times acknowledged serious economic problems in the north-east.

“The economic performances in China’s three north-eastern provinces, Liaoning, Jilin and Heilongjiang, have been among the worst in China the last two years,” the daily observed. However, the article cautioned against hasty conclusions that “China’s strategy to revitalise the old industrial bases in the Northeast launched in 2004 has failed”.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Why India must stop mollycoddling China economically and start playing hardball.China will never give up its proxy rent-boy Pak and this report with a staement from China's "Leaky" PM says it all.Let us not have any delusions about China's "friendship" as it has only evil intent towards India.May "Iron brother" China "rust in p*ss".

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2016/09 ... mir-issue/
‘Iron brother’ China vows to support Pakistan on Kashmir issue
National3 HOURS AGO BY MIAN ABRAR
pakistans-prime-minister-nawaz-sharif-shakes-hands-chinas-president-xi-jinping
Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang asks the international community to show “better understanding of the Kashmir issue”

Accepts PM’s invitation to visit Pakistan

Asking the international community to show a ‘better understanding’ of Pakistan’s position on Indian-Occupied Kashmir, Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang reiterated support for Pakistan in the standoff with India and said, in unequivocal terms, that China supports Pakistan on its stance on Kashmir.

Li’s remarks are being viewed as a major diplomatic success for Pakistan in wake of Indian diplomatic efforts and threats to “isolate (Pakistan) among the comity of the nations”.

Pakistan’s diplomatic offensive also won support from the United States and other leading countries at the United Nations General Assembly session.

“We support Pakistan and we will speak for Pakistan on every forum. We attach great importance to Pakistan’s position on Kashmir,” the Chinese premier said during his meeting with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, according to an official handout issued by the Prime Minister House.

Expressing hope that tension between the neighbours does not escalate, the Chinese premier also offered to mediate between India and Pakistan in order to improve their bilateral ties.

“Pakistan itself is a victim of terrorism. We hope that the situation between India and Pakistan will not escalate. We also hope that there will be a better understanding of Pakistani position on Kashmir by the international community,” the Chinese prime minister said.

“We are ready to play a constructive role in the improvement of relations between Pakistan and India,” he said and added that China would keep raising its voice in support of Pakistan on all international forums.

He said that Pakistan and China have an inseparable bond.

“We always give utmost importance to Pakistan’s stance on Kashmir. We hope that the world community shows a better understanding of the Kashmir dispute,” the Chinese premier said, adding that China would also expand its cooperation for better health, education and clean drinking water facilities for the people of Pakistan.

Premier Li also expressed gratitude to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif for “investing huge resources” for the safety and security of Chinese personnel in Pakistan.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif welcomed Li’s statement as well the support for Pakistan expressed by China on the Nuclear Suppliers Group.

“Relations between Pakistan and China have entered the next phase and we are now cooperating on political as well as the economic front. This is great news,” the PM said.

“Pakistan is committed to peace and stability in the region. We condemn terrorism in all its forms and manifestations,” the PM said, adding that Pakistan was successfully carrying out Operation Zarb e Azab against terrorism.

“We have dismantled the network of terrorists from Pakistan and establishing peaceful relations with our neighbours is our vision,” the PM said.

Sharif also expressed his condolences on the deaths in China after the recent floods and said, “whatever happens in China is a matter of concern for us.”

Sharif also extended an invitation to Premier Li to visit Pakistan which was accepted by his Chinese counterpart.

“Pakistan is looking forward to the Chinese premiere’s visit to Pakistan and Pakistan and China are iron brothers,” added the prime minister.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Chinese eco meltdown coming.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... -in-china/
China facing full-blown banking crisis, world's top financial watchdog warns
BIS

China is sinking ever deeper into debt, and risks a major banking crisis CREDIT: SINA
Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
19 SEPTEMBER 2016 • 7:07AM
China has failed to curb excesses in its credit system and faces mounting risks of a full-blown banking crisis, according to early warning indicators released by the world’s top financial watchdog.

A key gauge of credit vulnerability is now three times over the danger threshold and has continued to deteriorate, despite pledges by Chinese premier Li Keqiang to wean the economy off debt-driven growth before it is too late.

The Bank for International Settlements warned in its quarterly report that China’s "credit to GDP gap" has reached 30.1, the highest to date and in a different league altogether from any other major country tracked by the institution. It is also significantly higher than the scores in East Asia's speculative boom on 1997 or in the US subprime bubble before the Lehman crisis.

Studies of earlier banking crises around the world over the last sixty years suggest that any score above ten requires careful monitoring. The credit to GDP gap measures deviations from normal patterns within any one country and therefore strips out cultural differences.

It is based on work the US economist Hyman Minsky and has proved to be the best single gauge of banking risk, although the final denouement can often take longer than assumed. Indicators for what would happen to debt service costs if interest rates rose 250 basis points are also well over the safety line.

China’s total credit reached 255pc of GDP at the end of last year, a jump of 107 percentage points over eight years. This is an extremely high level for a developing economy and is still rising fast .

Outstanding loans have reached $28 trillion, as much as the commercial banking systems of the US and Japan combined. The scale is enough to threaten a worldwide shock if China ever loses control. Corporate debt alone has reached 171pc of GDP, and it is this that is keeping global regulators awake at night.

The BIS said there are ample reasons to worry about the health of world’s financial system. Zero interest rates and bond purchases by central banks have left markets acutely sensitive to the slightest shift in monetary policy, or even a hint of a shift.

“There has been a distinctly mixed feel to the recent rally – more stick than carrot, more push than pull,” said Claudio Borio, the BIS’s chief economist. “This explains the nagging question of whether market prices fully reflect the risks ahead.”

Bond yields in the major economies normally track the growth rate of nominal GDP, but they are now far lower. Roughly $10 trillion is trading at negative rates, and this has spread into corporate debt. This historical anomaly is underpinning richly-valued stock markets at time when profit growth has collapsed.

The risk is a violent spike in yields if the pattern should revert to norm, setting off a flight from global bourses. We have had a foretaste of this over recent days. The other grim possibility is that ultra-low yields are instead pricing in a slump in nominal GDP for years to come - effectively a trade depression - and that would be even worse for equities.

“It is becoming increasingly evident that central banks have been overburdened for far too long,” said Mr Borio.

The BIS said one troubling development is a breakdown in the relationship between interest rates and currencies in global markets, what it describes as a violation of the iron law of “covered interest parity”.

The concern is that banks are displaying a highly defensive reflex, and could pull back abruptly as they did during the Lehman crisis once they smell fear. “The banking sector may become an amplifier of shocks rather than an absorber of shocks,” said Hyun Song Shin, the BIS's research chief.

This conflicts with what the Bank of England has been saying and suggests that recent assurances by Governor Mark Carney should be treated with caution.

Yet it is China that is emerging as the epicentre of risk. The International Monetary Fund warned in June that debt levels were alarming and “must be addressed immediately”, though it is far from clear how the authorities can extract themselves so late in the day.

The risks are well understood in Beijing. The state-owned People’s Daily published a front-page interview earlier this year from a “very authoritative person” warning that debt had been “growing like a tree in the air” and threatened to engulf China in a systemic financial crisis.

The mysterious figure – possibly President Xi Jinping – called for an assault on “zombie companies” and a halt to reflexive stimulus to keep the boom going every time growth slows. The article said it is time to accept that China cannot continue to "force economic growth by levering up" and that the country must take its punishment.

One bright spot is a repayment of foreign debt denominated in dollars. Cross-border bank credit to China has fallen by a third to $698bn since peaking in late 2014 as companies scramble to slash their liabilities before the US Federal Reserve raises rates. The tally for emerging markets as a whole has fallen by $137bn to $3.2 trillion.

China's problem is internal credit. The risk is that a fresh spate of capital outflows will force the central bank to sell foreign exchange reserves to defend the yuan, automatically tightening monetary policy. In extremis, this could feed a vicious circle as credit woes set off further outflows.

The Chinese banking system is an arm of the Communist Party so any denouement will probably take the form of perpetual roll-overs, sapping the vitality of economy gradually.

The country was able to weather a banking crisis in the late 1990s but the circumstances were different. China was still in the boom phase of catch-up industrialisation and enjoying a demographic dividend.

Today it is no longer hyper-competitive and its work-force is shrinking, and time the scale is vastly greater.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

India’s Deployment of BrahMos Supersonic Stealth Missile is Making China Nervous

Read more: https://en.ria.ru/asia/20160925/1045688 ... adesh.html
The BrahMos "missile with updated capabilities for stealth and mountain warfare could threaten Yunnan and Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) provinces, located across the border from Arunachal Pradesh," said the People’s Liberation Army in a statement while a state-run media editorial said the move was "beyond India’s ‘normal need for self-defense.’ Playing tricks, they are bound to suffer the consequences."

China’s concern does not appear to be with the BrahMos in its current form with a maximum range of only 180 miles (290km) limiting the potential area of danger across the Chinese border, but Beijing worries that with certain modifications the stealth-capable missile could pose a greater threat.

The state-of-the-art hypersonic missile’s kinetic energy makes increases the stealth profile and target penetration characteristic of the weapon constructed jointly with Russia. The missile boasts a max speed of 2,113 MPH (3400kmh), but a hypersonic variant of the BrahMos traveling at nearly twice the speed is expected to be prepared in the next 5 to 7 years with a longer range.

The upgraded BrahMos potentially provides India with a major strategic advantage in mountain warfare with the missile specially designed to select targets hidden behind a mountain range and with the potential for longer range, hypersonic qualities the missile would likely pass through Beijing’s defense systems like a knife through butter.

Most concerning, with China’s own forays into hypersonic weapons technology, it appears that defense practices of the future are tilted towards offensive rather than defensive capabilities raising the stakes in the event that even a conventional war breaks out.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

The said real estate was sold out in a mere couple of hours, according to reports from local media.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-new ... Nb53H.html

India will deploy the recently bought Rafale fighter aircraft capable of carrying tactical nuclear warheads near disputed regions with Pakistan and China as New Delhi continues to be largest arms purchaser in the world, the Chinese state media predicted on Friday.
The jets are capable of carrying tactical nuclear warheads, which means India’s nuclear deterrence capability will be enhanced, an article published in nationalistic Global Times tabloid said.

The Global Times article added China’s neighbours, including India, are “hyping” the so-called “China threat” and have gone on an arms purchasing spree --- a move that has increased the import of western-made weapons into Asia.
The report came against the backdrop of India’s strikes on terror launchpads across the Line of Control, India’s de-facto border with Pakistan. India has said the strikes on Wednesday night inflicted “significant casualties” on terrorists preparing to launch attacks in India.
China has yet to officially react to the attacks. Pakistan, Beijing’s “all-weather ally”, has denied that Indian troops had carried out “surgical strikes” across the Line of Control, saying it had responded to “cross-border fire” from the Indian side that killed two soldiers and injured nine more.

“Last week, India signed an inter-governmental agreement with France in New Delhi for the purchase of 36 Rafale jet fighters in flyaway condition for $8.82 billion from French company Dassault. The jets can carry tactical nuclear warheads, and this means India’s nuclear deterrence capability will be greatly improved,” it said.
Quoting a Shenzhen television report, the newspaper then wrote: “India will deploy its new French-made fighters in the disputed areas bordering Pakistan and China.”
The article emphasised India’s focus on building its military power, possibly indicating that both Beijing and Islamabad should be wary.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Suddenly they are acting pussy with the globalmedia focused on Pak and China

Jhoot bhole rahain hain

Check this. They are really admitting that there are terrorists in their side of the border.
They want more details on how India identified the launching pads!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Read this book if you want to know what China’s citizens really think about their government
In 2010 and 2014, political scientist Bruce Dickson collaborated with Chinese scholars to survey public perceptions of China’s ruling Communist Party. Researchers conducted face-to-face interviews with some 4,000 people in 50 cities across the country. The results may come as a surprise: The regime enjoys high levels of popular support. In his new book, “The Dictator’s Dilemma,” Dickson explains why the regime remains so popular and argues that, contrary to popular belief, China may not be headed toward democracy.

Dickson discussed his findings in a recent interview, which has been edited and condensed.

What surprised you the most about the survey results?

The surveys asked a variety of basic questions about people’s political attitudes, social values and assessment of broad public goods like the environment, health care, education, elderly care and transportation. They also asked more detailed questions about specific policy areas, like health care and education, and about corruption, trust in government and satisfaction with the government’s work. In many ways, my findings were consistent with just about every other survey I’ve seen coming out of China: No matter how you measure it, no matter what questions you ask, the results always indicate that the vast majority of people are truly satisfied with the status quo.

There were two things that surprised me most. One was that people said that their incomes were rising and that they remained optimistic about further income gains in the future, despite the fact that the economy is currently slowing down. Some people have suggested that the slowdown could pose a legitimacy crisis for the party, but so long as incomes continue to rise, “pocketbook” factors [one’s personal financial situation] seem to outweigh “sociotropic” ones [one’s assessment of the state of the broader economy].

The second big surprise was about corruption. The 2010 survey took place before Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign began. The 2014 survey happened a few years into the campaign. The results showed two different pictures. On the one hand, in 2014, people thought that the corruption situation in their own cities was getting better. They could see that local officials were not holding the kinds of banquets and other activities that had created so much resentment in the past. But the campaign had also exposed how high corruption had spread. People had always thought corruption was a problem locally, but the campaign had shown that even very high-ranking officials were engaged in corruption as well.

Given that the regime enjoys such high levels of popular support, why did Xi feel the need to launch such a brutal crackdown on corruption?

He recognized that corruption has been one of the most corrosive elements of regime support. It’s a very unpopular issue in any country and many people in China think that the wealth that’s being generated has been unfairly benefiting people who are in the party or in government and their relatives. So there was a need to address corruption as a public concern.

What is “the dictator’s dilemma”?

The dilemma is that each of the things that the party does to try to keep itself in power in the short run may have long-term negative consequences for it. Like all authoritarian regimes, the party in China uses three methods to keep itself in power. One is repression. We’ve seen an increase in censorship on the Web. We’ve seen a crackdown on lawyers and political activists in the country. And the dilemma is that as repression becomes more widespread, more people are targeted, even if they’re not doing things that are critical of the party. The wider the scope of the repression, the more the party may convert people who would otherwise be supporters of or neutral toward the regime into part of the opposition.

Second, the party pursues policies to generate popular support, whether through economic growth or rising incomes. The concern here is that the short-term benefits of creating growth may, in the long run, lead to more of the NIMBY [“Not In My Backyard”] protests that we see quite commonly in China. That may create rising expectations and new political demands. We haven’t seen much of that yet, but it’s a long-term concern.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Xi Jinping may delay choosing a successor
The Chinese president, Xi Jinping, appears prepared to defy the Communist Party’s established script for transferring power and delay the designation of his successor until after a party congress next year, unsettling the party elite and stirring speculation that he wants to prolong his tenure.

The delay would buy Mr. Xi more time to promote and test favoured candidates, and prevent his influence from ebbing away to a leader-in-waiting, experts and political insiders said. But the price could be years of friction while a pack of aspiring cadres vie for the top job, as well as unnerving uncertainty over whether Mr. Xi wants to stay in power beyond the usual two terms as party leader.

Although Mr. Xi’s decision will not be known until late 2017, the suggestion that he intends to break with precedent and begin his second term without a probable successor is magnifying uncertainties about who will rise and who will fall in the expected shake-up, including questions about the fate of the Premier, Li Keqiang.

“It’s a very delicate issue,” said a member of the party establishment who regularly speaks with senior officials.

“I don’t think Xi wants to decide until the people he favours have more experience, more testing,” he said.

In interviews, three other party insiders close to senior officials and their families said Mr. Xi appeared likely to delay picking a successor.

The succession quandary is shaping up as a defining test of the power and ambition of Mr. Xi, already China’s most dominant leader in decades.

The system for succession, developed after a long period of political turmoil, was devised to help ensure a predictable, stable transition of power in the one-party state. Any effort by Mr. Xi to alter that compact might increase his considerable authority, but it could also inject instability into the delicately balanced system.

The drama will probably begin in earnest this month, when the Central Committee, about 200 senior officials who sign off on major decisions, meets in Beijing. That meeting is likely to set in motion plans for the congress, which will meet in late 2017 to endorse a new top line-up.

While it is a given that the congress will back Mr. Xi for another five-year term as party leader, nearly everything else is up for grabs, giving Mr. Xi great sway to shape the new leadership.

Five of the seven members of the powerful Politburo Standing Committee must step down because of age, assuming the informal retirement age of 68 holds. That leaves only Mr. Xi (63) and Mr. Li (61) to return.

Mr. Xi’s blistering anti-corruption campaign and amassing of power have shaken the idea that Chinese elite politics has settled into a stolid routine under collective control. If China’s party leaders function like a corporate board, Mr. Xi is akin to the celebrity chairman who may have the power to stare down opposition to his succession plan. — New York Times News Service
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

China humiliated! "XI Gins" in disgrace. Assad's boys b*gger the PRC oin the field,Demos in the streets.
This should be a huge moral booster to the Syrians and Assad regime.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... torn-syria
Anger on streets in China as football team suffer shock defeat by war-torn Syria
Disgruntled fans gather to demand that president of football association is sacked as hopes for a football revolution suffer a blow
Fans cheer before the match between China and Syria. The Chinese characters read, ‘China fighting’

Tom Phillips in Beijing
Friday 7 October 2016
Chinese sports fans have taken to the streets to demand the resignation of the president of China’s football association after the national side crashed to a shock defeat to Syria in a major blow to president Xi Jinping’s football revolution.

Xi, who Communist party propagandists promote as a dedicated football fan, has vowed to turn China into a footballing superpower. :rotfl:

Thousands of football academies are being built across the country in a bid to nurture a new generation of world-beating players. Massive pay packets are being used to lure foreign coaches and players from footballing nations such as Brazil in order to beautify the still dismal Chinese game.

But Xi’s ambitious plans to qualify for, host and eventually win a World Cup were dented on Thursday night when China lost 1-0 to Syria.

Forty-thousand fans had packed the Zhuque Stadium in the northern city of Xi’an to see China, ranked 78th in the world by Fifa, take on Syria, a footballing minnow ranked 114th, just ahead of Turkmenistan, Lithuania, Palestine and North Korea.

The Global Times, a Communist party-run tabloid, said China’s players dominated possession. But in the second half Team China was “stunned” by a goal from Mahmoud Al-Mawas, meaning China’s chances of qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia were now “slim”. :D :mrgreen: :rotfl:

Xinhua, Beijing’s official news agency, admitted that the result left China on “the edge of elimination” from the qualifying campaign.

“Seriously, the performance of China’s national team was that of an amateur side,” Dong Lu, a television sports commentator, wrote on Weibo, China’s Twitter.

The Tencent Sports website said large groups of disgruntled fans gathered outside the stadium following the game to demand that the president of the Chinese Football Association, Cai Zhenhua, be axed.

“Cai Zhenhua, resign!” they chanted, according to video of the demonstration.

Fans also used social media to voice their disgust.

Mahmoud Almawas of Syria (left) celebrates after scoring the winning goal against China. Photograph: -/AFP/Getty Images
“Last night Syria, a country which has been suffering wars for many years, whose manager earns just 2,000 yuan (£240) each month, defeated China whose players earn millions of yuan. It is time for China’s national football team to have a good think,” one critic wrote on Weibo.

“China’s national team couldn’t even beat the Syrian football team which is suffering from a situation of extreme instability,” another commented. “There is no longer any need for China’s national team to exist. It is a waste of taxpayer’s money.”

A third critic wrote: “What China’s National Football Team gives its fans is decades of consistent disappointment.”

Some disillusioned fans called for Team China’s manager, Gao Hongbo, to be sacked and replaced with Lang Ping, the revered coach of China’s female volleyball team.

Lang cemented her position as a national treasure when she led her team to gold at this summer’s Rio Olympics.

Following Thursday’s defeat, senior members of China’s sports establishment conceded such glories remained out of reach for the country’s footballers.

Yu Hongchen, the vice dean of China’s football management centre, said Team China players had been left “heartbroken” by the defeat to Syria.

“Our football players played hard,” Yu said, according to the Sina Sports website. “But the result is unacceptable.”

Additional reporting by Christy Yao
PS:Syrian guts against extreme adversity against Chinese fat cats won the day!
Along with reports of Chinese UN "p*sskeepers" running away from rebels and let UN staff raped in S.Sudan show what mettle today's Chinese are made of. This should hearten the nations of Asia,esp. in the Indo-China region who are being bullied and harassed by the PRC in the Indo-China Sea. There must be much celebrations across the region over China's defeat.let's celebrate ourselves tonight!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Imprisoned Chinese minority scholar given human rights award - AP
A group of leading rights organisations has awarded its annual prize for human rights defenders to imprisoned Chinese Muslim minority economics professor Ilham Tohti, shining new attention on a case that has brought strong international condemnation.

The Martin Ennals Award is bestowed by Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and eight other human rights groups. The award ceremony will take place in Geneva, Switzerland, on Tuesday evening.

Prof. Tohti was given a life sentence on charges of separatism in September 2014 after a two-day trial. A member of the Turkic Muslim Uighur ethnic group, he taught at Beijing’s Minzu University and was an outspoken critic of Beijing’s ethnic policies in the far western region of Xinjiang. Mr. Tohti denied advocating separatism or violence.

Prof. Tohti has “sought reconciliation by bringing to light repressive Chinese policies and Uyghur grievances. This is information the Chinese government has sought to keep behind a veil of silence,” the group said in a statement, using an alternative spelling for Uighur.

“He remains a voice of moderation and reconciliation in spite of how he has been treated,” it said.

Prof. Tohti’s sentence brought statements of condemnation from numerous Western governments and the European Union, and in January this year several hundred academics petitioned China’s authoritarian communist government to release him.

Many Uighurs say Chinese government policies and an influx of migrants belonging to China’s majority Han ethnic group have threatened their culture and left them economically marginalized. Such sentiments are seen as driving occasional outbursts of violence, including deadly riots in the regional capital of Urumqi in 2009.

China’s government had no immediate comment on the award, but generally denounces such accolades as part of a hazy foreign plot to smear China’s reputation and undermine its Beijing’s authority.

“The award not only duly recognizes Prof. Ilham Tohti’s courageous work promoting minority rights and dialogues between Hans and Uighurs, it also highlights the Chinese government increasingly harsh punishment against its critics,” said Maya Wang, a Hong Kong-based researcher with Human Rights Watch.

“Instead of reacting angrily to the news, the Chinese government should release Ilham Tohit and reverse its repressive policies in Xinjiang,” Wang said.

Prevented from publishing, Prof. Tohti turned to the Internet, running the site Uyghurbiz.net to foster discussion about the economic, social and developmental issue Uighurs face.

Seven of Prof. Tohti’s students were also sentenced in what was seen as a move to strengthen the government’s case against him.

Authorities accused the professor and the students of forming a criminal gang that sought to split Xinjiang from China

This year’s other finalists for the award were Ethiopian independent journalism collective Zone 9 Bloggers, and Syrian human rights lawyer, activist and journalist Razan Zaitouneh.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 816958.cms

China a 'trusted partner' of Bangladesh: PM Sheikh Hasina

Chinese Premier Xi Jinping will visit Bangladesh this week, the first by a Chinese head of state in 30 years
Bangladesh is hoping to get an estimated $40 billion from China as credit during Xi's visit
PM Sheikh Hasina said Banglasdesh considers China as a trusted partner in trade.
kittoo
BRFite

Post by kittoo »

IndraD wrote:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 816958.cms

China a 'trusted partner' of Bangladesh: PM Sheikh Hasina

Chinese Premier Xi Jinping will visit Bangladesh this week, the first by a Chinese head of state in 30 years
Bangladesh is hoping to get an estimated $40 billion from China as credit during Xi's visit
PM Sheikh Hasina said Banglasdesh considers China as a trusted partner in trade.
Thats a LOT! Even if half of it materializes, we cant match that. Cant blame Bangladesh for wanting that. Nevertheless it is concerning for us.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

^Even if it does, we will more than match it...like we are doing in Nepal where the Indian babucracy hit the ball out of the park. Relax!!!
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

China strikes back at troops protesting Xi's plan to sack 3,00,000 soldiers in reform move - Economic Times
China's military warned on Friday that "hostile forces" were seeking to spread online rumours about the ongoing reform of the armed forces, which will see 300,000 soldiers laid off, and admitted some of the rumours were having a damaging effect.

Chinese President Xi Jinping unexpectedly announced last September that he would cut troop numbers by 300,000, or some 13 percent of the world's biggest military, currently 2.3-million strong.

The cuts come at a time of heightened economic uncertainty in China as growth slows and the leadership grapples with painful economic reforms. On Tuesday, hundreds of previously demobilised soldiers protested in Beijing.

The lay-offs are part of broader reforms to modernise the military, moving away from the old Soviet-era command module and putting more emphasis on high-tech weapons such as stealth jets and anti-satellite missiles.

In a commentary, the official People's Liberation Army Daily said rumours about the reforms were flooding social media sites with self-professed experts spreading all sorts baseless stories such as how demobilised soldiers could get reduced benefits.

"The broad mass of the armed forces must clearly recognise that in the vast majority of these rumours there are online users unable to distinguish the truth, wantonly lost in fanciful thoughts and conjecture," it said.

"But there are also no lack of certain hostile forces thinking of ways to try in vain to sow chaos in our reform process," it added, without naming those hostile forces.

These fanciful stories have attracted the attention of many soldiers, some of whom believe what they read, the paper added.

"Some have been taken in, and worried about personal losses this has affected their work."

Soldiers have a responsibility not to believe the rumours and only get their news from official sources, the newspaper said.

The government has repeatedly promised to look after demobilised soldiers, with Xi saying in June they would be found other work.