Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Re: Bomb explosion in Boston

Post by Gagan »

I hope this is not going to be blamed on 'Al Qaida'.
I'm afraid, and the real perpetrators will get away.

This is going to have a Paki hand, possibly even an 'non state actor' officially unofficial Paki hand.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

USA need to stay longer in Aghanistan otherwise Paki NSAs get moral boost to do these kinds of terrorist acts on US soil. Its the test for Kerry's diplomatic skills.His own home state is attacked. I am wondering if this is Paki revenge for their losses on Western Borders. Afghans. Pathans have been showing Ajlaf Pakajbis their lowly worth lately.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Just realized NSA has two expansions - non-state actors and the usual.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 16 Apr 2013 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

On NPR somebody reminded that right-wing attack could not be ruled out. All the debate about gun control ityadi, and the resulting fear mongering.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Is it the same opinion that originated on CNN from Peter Bergen?
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Really sad to see these pictures.

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.co ... -pictures/

WARNING: GRAPHIC
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I appeal for peace and calm. Terrorism has no religion. People are fighting for freedom all over the world. Islam is a religion of peace and Pakistan is a moderate democratic nation.

Incidentally, What is MMS doing? The US took two countries in exchange for 2 buildings and had no more terrorist attacks after that.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

People who we know who were nearby are all okay. Long day for doctors at DIL's hospital, specially for trauma surgeons who are all working overtime. Many are in OR even now.. The hospital is one of the closest to the area.

The hospital itself had some excitement, as a suspicious package (turned out to be innocent) found in the OR and there was evacuation for a short time.

Good thing is that medical facilities are extremely good, quite a few good hospitals in the area, IMO this is the reason the causality figures are low.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Terror returns to America after a dozen years...

I doubt this is a local right wing thing. They typically target government buildings or some symbolic area. This seems to be more along the jihadi line, but time will tell.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

My Facebook feed is filled with Muslim friends and their friends condemning the attacks and lots of :(( from them. I suspect more than sympathy for the victims, they are in full defend-Islam mode where they are preempting someone saying that the attack was no doubt connected to some Muslim guy.
deepan gill
BRFite -Trainee

Post by deepan gill »

This bomb type is signature series LTTE or Islamic terror groups. Note the immediate response, cellphone services disabled and air traffic halted, all exit/entry points closed and monitored. A contrast to what India did during 26/11.

This is very similar to Mumbai train attacks and new Delhi court bombing. From investigation POV this is a tough one. Domestic terror is ruled out. Have to see how this is investigated.

Prayers go out to dead and the wounded.

Thx
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Per CNN .. BPD is on lookout ( Be On Look Out - BOLO Alert)
Boston Marathon explosions: BOLO
Investigators have warned police to be on the lookout for a "darker-skinned or black male" with a possible foreign accent in connection with Monday's bombings at the Boston Marathon, according to a law enforcement advisory obtained by CNN. The man was seen with a black backpack and sweatshirt
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

For curiosity I did check out (http://www.pagb.org/) .. no mention of the event as yet..
Also , A LeT commander along with about a dozen of terrorists were killed by coalition forces today..
(Along with a drone strike in Pak - killing some more)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

What I really like and the sadly about this pic, is that all the affsars are ready to shoot anyone!
http://trib.in/17fEpED
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Heart felt condolences to the victims and their families.
The response is quick and orderly.
In the original video there are a couple of men in camos (olive army fatigues). Are they from US defense?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I watched the mens and women race live on internet with my son and went to bed. this is an area where my wife went to university and i used to hang out frequently with her graduate buddies.

security was the usual american style light thing...race goes through many residential towns and just depending on good sense of the home owner not to do anything funny. in one instance a teenage kid jumped down from the pavement and ran for few seconds with the mens leading pack and then jumped back up again. the commentators made a indulgent comment that perhaps he just wanted to see how fast the elite men run. no cops came to collar him , there was no cop except for traffic control on bikes and a few yellow jacket volunteers on foot and cycles.

along the course squads of army/national guard/marines seemed to be marching down the sides towards the finish line. not sure why , perhaps they have their own tradition on this day. they were all unarmed ofcourse and just carrying backpacks and flags.

it will be interesting in Oct to see what the marine corps marathon in washington does. it goes near the pentagon also. there is going to be a strong sharp lockdown as they have the men and firepower, but no other marathon can arrange for such security. this is going to lead many people not to join up.
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

SaiK wrote:What I really like and the sadly about this pic, is that all the affsars are ready to shoot anyone!
http://trib.in/17fEpED
It is their training. Hear an explosion. Reach for the gun.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

matrimc wrote:Heart felt condolences to the victims and their families.
The response is quick and orderly.
In the original video there are a couple of men in camos (olive army fatigues). Are they from US defense?
They belong to the Massachusetts National Gard; Every state has its own National Gard who are called out during natural disasters, big events and wars to back up the regular army.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

kerry is going to arrange for a massive retaliation here by bombing pakistan with $10 billion worth of dimes and nickels.

B52s on diego are loading with sacks of coins now.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

No TSP hand has emerged yet ?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Has this been declared an act of terrorism? Or was it an accident like a Lithium battery fire or bulb explosion. Exploding bulbs have caused casualties among US allies in the past.

Sad about the casualties. I am reminded of Samjhauta express where innocent people lost their lives.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

News report is telling multiple blasts , probably three. This is really Sad and condemnable act if not an accident. A Saudi national seems to be under scanner.Number of casualty is less yet every single innocent death is tragic. We are reminded of several blasts that have taken place in India over the last decade resulting in several deaths and injuries. Could be a tiffin bomb?

I hope Brfites , who took part in Boston Marathon, are safe and sound.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

If this was an act of terrorism, it will not be Pakistani. Pakistani terrorists are under firm control of the ISI - in order to hand them over to the US in exchange for money.

As Rudradev's brilliant exposition pointed out, this will be a person outside the ISI ring. Pakistan will find some person connected with the Boston terrorist act. It will not be a Paki national. It will be an Arab who has trained with Al Qaeda in the days when the US had ditched Pakistan and the latter were short of resources to control these bad elements
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

It's a question of when, not if, a Pakistani connection emerges. The only other question I have is what that connection will turn out to be:

(a) A Pakistani is a valuable and cherished member of the team that placed and detonated the bomb
(b) Some or all perps were trained in Pakistan and/ or by the ISI in the fine pursuit of Jihad fi Sabilillah
(c) A US based Pakistani facilitated the bombing by hosting the attack team/ passing messages/ running errands/ doing GUBO
(d) The 'mastermind' behind this attack is presently the honoured guest of GoP
(e) The Op was financed via hawala laundering through Pakistan

What other possible connections?
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

SSridhar wrote:No TSP hand has emerged yet ?
It has and it was none other than Davis Hardly who is double agent trained by CIA hence SD is not commenting.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

chaanakya wrote:News report is telling multiple blasts , probably three.
This means
1. Sleeper cells
2. Coordination and sophistication
3. People who live in America or who have been let in despite all the controls.

Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and Pakistan have car bombs.

Serial, coordinated bomb blasts happen in India with either a Pakistani Lashkar e Toiba or Pakistan supported Indian Mujahideen connection.

When bomb blasts occur one could shut off cellphone services to the area. When people are being gunned down in various places shutting down cellphone services is unlikely to happen. In Mumbai keeping the cellphone lines open allowed terrorists conversations to be recorded. Deepan Gill is wrong in drawing a parallel with 26/11. What's it with this comparing US with India whenever there is a terrorist attack? This type of assholegiri was common in the days before 9-11. Looks like it is a hard act to give up.
Last edited by shiv on 16 Apr 2013 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

To victim who died in Boston , RIP . Speedy recovery to the injured.
shiv wrote:Incidentally, What is MMS doing? The US took two countries in exchange for 2 buildings and had no more terrorist attacks after that.
Three Key people involved during 26/11 were told to quit HM Shivraj Patil ,CM Vilasrao Deshmukh and HM RR Patil.
US did not dare to do such thing against its own minister which MMS could do
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So far only two near simultaneous blasts near the finish line are being acknowledged. The JFk Library incident is being treated as electrical fire.
CNN reports two devices are in investigators possession,

Emergency room doctors say BB were used as shrapnel.

Most of the injuries are to lower body of victims.

A huge task force is at work. It was already in place due to the marathon.

The closest is the Hyd twin blasts we say a few month ago.
Same MO:IED with ball bearings.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana wrote:So far only two near simultaneous blasts near the finish line are being acknowledged. The JFk Library incident is being treated as electrical fire.
CNN reports two devices are in investigators possession,

Emergency room doctors say BB were used as shrapnel.

Most of the injuries are to lower body of victims.

A huge task force is at work. It was already in place due to the marathon.

The closest is the Hyd twin blasts we say a few month ago.
Same MO:IED with ball bearings.
I would not be surprised if there is an Indian Mujahiddeen connection in the US too. Getting terrorists from India implicated in the US would be one of my priorities if I was ISI. But what was the explosive.

Unexploded devices means

1. Incompetence
2. Deliberate clue intended to point at someone
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

>> Three Key people involved during 26/11 were told to quit HM Shivraj Patil ,CM Vilasrao Deshmukh and HM RR Patil.

Although this is fairly OT, two of these "gentlemen" were appointed to other posts pretty soon.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Only two explosions. Termed as 'crude' bombs. Two unexploded bombs. Three dead, 142+ wounded. Not exactly a professional job or made to look amateurish. The bombs went off after all the elite runners finished which meant they did not get the most publicity.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

abhishek_sharma wrote:>> Three Key people involved during 26/11 were told to quit HM Shivraj Patil ,CM Vilasrao Deshmukh and HM RR Patil.

Although this is fairly OT, two of these "gentlemen" were appointed to other posts pretty soon.
Continuing with the OT comparisons of India with USA
http://news.yahoo.com/david-petraeus-ap ... itics.html
"I think the world is open to him now," said Bragman, vice chairman of the image-building company Reputation.com. "I think he can do whatever he wants. Realistically, he can even run for public office, although I don't think he'd want to because he can make more money privately."

Ahead of the speech, Petraeus drew lavish praise from USC's president, C. L. Max Nikias, who called him "arguably the most effective military commander since Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower."

"In our post 9/11 world, Gen. Petraeus' influence on our military is unmatched, and his contributions to the CIA are far-reaching," Nikias said.

While at USC, Petraeus also planned to visit faculty and students at the Price School of Public Policy, which administers the ROTC program, and USC's School of Social Work, which trains social workers in how to best help veterans returning from war.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Not sure how reliable...but seems like Pacqui connection is going to turn up
BOMBINGS: EXPLOSIVES USED WERE ‘SIMILAR’ TO IEDS USED IN AFGHANISTAN
Poe confirmed that law enforcement officials are “watching” a 20-year-old “person of interest” which he called a “Saudi national” who is here on student visa. Again, until now, media outlets have been quoting anonymous law enforcement officials when reporting these details.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

^^ Yes, but it is not a good example because Petraeus' mistakes did not cause anyone's death (at least it is not known to me/us).

A better example would be the fact that no one was fired after 9/11 (as far as I know.). Everyone had an excuse.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

pgbhat wrote:Not sure how reliable...but seems like Pacqui connection is going to turn up
BOMBINGS: EXPLOSIVES USED WERE ‘SIMILAR’ TO IEDS USED IN AFGHANISTAN
Poe confirmed that law enforcement officials are “watching” a 20-year-old “person of interest” which he called a “Saudi national” who is here on student visa. Again, until now, media outlets have been quoting anonymous law enforcement officials when reporting these details.
Ammonium Nitrate from American fertiliser factories in Pakistan is used in Afghanistan.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jhujar wrote:USA need to stay longer in Aghanistan otherwise Paki NSAs get moral boost
No. Pakistan has promised to bring peace to the region. Kashmir and the grievances of Muslims must first be addressed by the world. It is India's fault that there is so much terrorism.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Condolences to Bostonians.

Had it been Bush's Presidency, we would have seen:

- "America at War" all over the media
- Orange color elevated warning signals flashing all over the media
- Fox news cursing all the muslims and liberals whom they will term as muslim sympathizers
- Bush on TV every 5 mins with his "justice will be delivered" and probably included Iran somewhere there
- TSA agents having field day ("day" is really a misnomer because they have been it for the last decade) at airports doing pat-downs or cavity searches..probably they will continue for another decade at the min assuming no events in the future decade

I wonder how many of these are still employed (didn't get a chance to check news channels).
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Piers Morgan and Cruikshank on CNN are grating on my nerves. Pm says "some crazy American" typical British snobbery. Cruickshank has this deer caught in the head lights kind of weird expression on his face.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

I don't think this has anything to do with jihadi violence.