Boston Bombing Followup Thread

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Tamerlane Tsarnev -David Coleman Headley by another name

Post by shiv »

chaanakya wrote:
shiv wrote:

It is pronounced Johar
Doc Saheb , I know that D is silent here,
No I mean the "k" which is "aspirated (glottal?) "ha" like khwaab, khwarizmi, akhthoo etc

So Dzokhar becomes Johar
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Boston Bombing Followup Thread

Post by ramana »

jhujar, Looks like light bulbs are lighting. Experts now say they should look at who is radicalizing these long term immigrants.
Apparently 48 previous case with DHS all had radicalization in mosques and internet preachers.

Expect a DOS attack on such sites by hackers.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

X-post from another thread

Now that Boston attacks happened, will the "Boston Brahmins" :lol: like US State Secy The Kerrorist (John Kerry), stop promoting Islamism as a tool of global US Strategy ?
Anant
BRFite

Post by Anant »

I just wanted to correct a couple of points. First, I am one of those Desi attorneys. You can be rest assured that Reddit will be sued (notwithstanding the ethnicity of the attorney). The site will try to hide behind the 1st Amendment but can be sued in tort for defamation. Second, as far as the death penalty goes, Singha you are incorrect. Even though the Commonwealth of Massachusetts does not have a death penalty, the federal government can and has imposed a death penalty on terrorists. The latest terrorist example of this was Timothy McVeigh of Oklahoma City infamy.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

thank god he is not a juvenile.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

ramana wrote:jhujar, Looks like light bulbs are lighting. Experts now say they should look at who is radicalizing these long term immigrants.
Apparently 48 previous case with DHS all had radicalization in mosques and internet preachers.
Expect a DOS attack on such sites by hackers.
Not only this, the media circus going to turned out a big weakness for USA and will come back to haunt them They panicked and did not think through. If the two retards could shut down the whole town then Jihadis are going to get embolden and smell the blood. IMHO, this incident will shift the battle against Islamist terrorism to a new level. Lets hope Paki connection comes up by next weekend .
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Shiv,

OT but...

I don't think that picture was taken and distributed as official policy.

AFAIK no one has said anything about IA showing dead terrorists. IA usually does it because the body must be buried in 24 hours due to religion and encounters often happen way in the forest. So picture is taken with the passport photo of TSP for their records and tracking. IA is NOT doing this for satisfaction or catharsis, for all its flaws IA fights for honor even in the most desperate of circumstances.

IA has always killed terrorists with the deepest regret. Repeated attempts are made to get folks to surrender with many an officer losing his life in the process of following their guidelines.

If you know different please post info. I would be very interested in knowing...
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Senator Lindsey Graham Says Suspend the Constitution For Boston Marathon Suspect And Designate Him An Enemy Combatant
Why is it that those who spend an inordinate amount of time professing their dedication and fealty to the United States Constitution seem to always be among the first to toss our founding document out the window the moment it becomes inconvenient to their desires?
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

vina wrote:Just like David Headley, the US was warned about this guy , but cleared him, this guy had travelled to Pakistan, "skied" there, probably attended camps there, had a "martial arts" background , just like David Headley, everything that arouses suspicion , but still not brought in ?

This looks like a case of another US asset meant for use against Russia (like David Headley was against whoever) gone feral. This is another classic case of blow back for the US.
Link for this please.
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

I was not sure where to post it so here it is:

Man Beaten in Anti-Muslim Attack Outside Bronx Applebees, NYPD Says

NEW YORK CITY — A 30-year-old man was attacked by men hurling anti-Muslim slurs while he was smoking a cigarette outside an Applebee's Monday night, cops said.

Abdullah Faruque later told reporters that he thought the attack was retaliation for the bombings at the Boston Marathon that occurred earlier that afternoon, but cops couldn't confirm that account.

“I saw the news, and then it hits me: That’s why I got jumped,” Faruque told the New York Post.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013041 ... z2QyTMOABN
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

it is quite funny to read he was escaping/inside a boat in water-town. he was not on water.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Anant Thanks
Anant
BRFite

Post by Anant »

You're welcome Ramana.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Are there no Civil Rights / Human Rights activists who can espouse the cause of protecting rights of teenager taken in custody. Why there is deafening silence there? Are those activists pontificate only when such incidents take place elsewhere. Is unkil force / society free from usual biases which result in waterboarding and third degree methods for information, killing of alleged suspects in excessive use of force even when there is only suspicion. Everyone is treating this case as closed and justice done without even going to court and the whole process.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

It is not at all improbable that these two chaps were assets of FBI or some other agency, were sent into the Paki breeding ground to infiltrate and build up a portfolio of terror to move up the ranks and into Chechnya or elsewhere... Instead, the chaps were doubled by LeT came back, continued to enjoy American lifestyle, and when the time came carried out a minor terror incident in Boston in line with Hafeez Said's proclamations over the past year. The younger brother even looks a bit like a lighter skinned version of Kasab.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

My heartfelt condolences to the Young rookie Police officer who died in shootout. Seems he was just starting his career in Policing.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Paki training is quite evident in MO. Use of pressure cooker was first noted in Serial blast in Bombay in 2006 and LeT signature MO.
It seems , from main thread info, that father was posted in Pakistan for 14 years and the dead one traveled to Pak trackked to Karakorum area, known for military training to ISI stooges and access is closely monitored.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

SaiK wrote:it is sad that none apologized to trivedi family... this anti-terror-terror is inundating in massa especially those that happen after any terror event. simply put, massan aam is much much lower IQ than indic aam.
You realized that after all these years living in massa? :P The average joe six pack may be literate but when it comes to awareness they are worse than any illiterate phata abdul SDRE.
Anant
BRFite

Post by Anant »

The older one was also married to an American woman and had a daughter. CNN reports that they came into the US as asylees but likelier the older one used the ole' marrying the American woman as means of getting a green card then citizenship. Anyways, like Headley's wife, this woman will know more than she lets on and if not an American asset would be worth interrogating. Their house was already searched under warrant.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

shiv wrote:
chaanakya wrote:
In various spellings

zokhar
jokhar
dzokhar
djokhar
zoxar
djohar
It is pronounced Johar
Not Joker?
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

SaiK wrote:thank god he is not a juvenile.
He might have fudged his age to gain entry into America and Educational institution. Afteralll the region to which he belonged is not known for good recordkeeping unless he was born and brought up in Khanland. To me he looks like early teen more likely 14teen or 15teen. Due to high level of nourishment absorbed early in life American teenagers are well grown . This fellow, the currently the alive one, looks quite decent. Reminds me of the test delivered to Will Smith in MIB for joining ultra secret org.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

while making crude explosives can be learnt, using of rifles and handguns needs proper training to wage a street battle with police.

that part is not clear yet - how many and what explosives they had, where they got the materials, where they tested it (woods of north east new hampshire or maine ?) and how much of guns and ammo they had . being US citizens they would not have any restrictions on buying guns for sure.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

shiv wrote:
chaanakya wrote:
Doc Saheb , I know that D is silent here,
No I mean the "k" which is "aspirated (glottal?) "ha" like khwaab, khwarizmi, akhthoo etc

So Dzokhar becomes Johar
Yes, Thanks Shiv Garu.
Om Namoh Shivayah.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

ArmenT wrote:
SaiK wrote:it is sad that none apologized to trivedi family... this anti-terror-terror is inundating in massa especially after any terror event. simply put, massan aam is much much lower IQ than indic aam.
Actually, a reddit moderator did very publicly apologize for all the speculation. The ones that need to apologize now are all the TV pundits and so-called "experts". Oh, and it is Tripathi family, not Trivedi family.
Reality is , it speaks very very poorly of average american worldview and common sense. . It was utter primitive, neanderthal howls that came out as posts on reddit. And the reddit moderator is just a bigoted fool as the rest of them. The reddit mods know a lot of stuff from there feeds to MSM. Allowing outrage to spin out of control and then targeting an INdian origin family when they were missing a son is quite frankly juvenile mgmt of forums. One must look at the Sunil Tripathi family video to understand the pain they are going through. The old man there is putting a brave face and you can see he is worried.
And despite that video, the mods of reddit allowed this to happen. Hate spewed into youtube as well. And where were the other mods when this was happening - did it not occur to one of them that this is dangerous. And all this vigilante justice for "Karma" on reddit.
I am hoping mediacrooks.com comes out with a scathing piece on the media there and a bunch of mad dogs here who were barking after the the reddit car.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Lilo wrote:Now that Boston attacks happened, will the "Boston Brahmins" :lol: like US State Secy The Kerrorist (John Kerry), stop promoting Islamism as a tool of global US Strategy ?
The global US strategy is to use Islamists to suit its needs. There won't be any change in that. If 9/11 did not teach any lesson, this one is too small to make a change in US strategy. I expect voices to say now that if after eleven years of action, Islamists have not given up their approach then there should be something that the rest of the world is missing and there must be something genuine in their grievance. This chorus will rise now.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

It's not that the d is silent in Dzhokhar . It's a transliteration from Cyrillic, which has no letter for J sound - they would write my username as Suradz . More accurately, it does literally have a 'J', but they pronounce it 'ye'. The transliteration to English - Dzhokhar - is inaccurate, since English does have a J, but they just translated the Cyrillic version letter by letter phonetically.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Correct. And the KH does not have a K sound but a guttural H sound. Net result: Johar, or Jauhar...

I have a huge problem in this part of the world because of this. No one can pronounce J, nor write it, especially the Greeks... so my name is transliterated from English to English :D as TZAIDEEP or often enough TZAIDIP - I didn't recognise the effing thing myself when I saw it.

It's worse in Greek where it becoms TZAHTHP (where the P is a pi sign) :D Figure that out, given that both alphabets in upper case are 90% similar ...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is the surname Johar in india related to Jhokhar. are Johar's sindhi or multani ?
shyam
BRFite

Post by shyam »

Lilo wrote:Now that Boston attacks happened, will the "Boston Brahmins" :lol: like US State Secy The Kerrorist (John Kerry), stop promoting Islamism as a tool of global US Strategy ?
OT. I would call Boston Brahmins, "Boston Untouchables". These people can not be touched by anybody as they are so powerful.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Thanks JEM! I knew I was missing something about the kh part too, but my recollection of Cyrillic letter phonetics was rusty.

Coincidently, knowing that the Greeks and Cypriots have the same issue, I thought of you while writing the earlier post, and funnily enough, you confirmed your headaches in response right away :)
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Singha wrote:is the surname Johar in india related to Jhokhar. are Johar's sindhi or multani ?
even better. There are Jakhar's in India, viz the late Balram Jakhar, and Gakhars or Khokhars in Pakistan.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

JE Menon wrote:Correct. And the KH does not have a K sound but a guttural H sound. Net result: Johar, or Jauhar...

I have a huge problem in this part of the world because of this. No one can pronounce J, nor write it, especially the Greeks... so my name is transliterated from English to English :D as TZAIDEEP or often enough TZAIDIP - I didn't recognise the effing thing myself when I saw it.

It's worse in Greek where it becoms TZAHTHP (where the P is a pi sign) :D Figure that out, given that both alphabets in upper case are 90% similar ...
Put your name though a text to speech reader and you will get Yaydeep. The only way you can get Jaideep is to write djaideep.

In Greek I think the first letter would be X?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Theo_Fidel wrote:S

AFAIK no one has said anything about IA showing dead terrorists.
Oh yes they have. Which is why this news item from Boston is so precious
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

I had made the observation in the other thread
That this is episode of Davis Hardly

My post was third or fifth if remember correctly

Yes this is blow back episode

Recall during the height of Bosnia crisis
Culinary Institute was training Chechen rebels as well as Georgia Russian republic guys

Actually there is FHM or Rolling Stones that the henchmen rebels used to play soccer with the decapitated Russian soldier skulls
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Jhujar wrote:http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affairs ... n-bombings
GOP lawmaker calls for 'increased surveillance' of Muslims after attack
Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.) called for “increased surveillance” of Muslims on Friday, saying the Boston Marathon bombing suspects' links to Chechnya represented a “new front” in the war on terror.
“Police have to be in the community, they have to build up as many sources as they can, and they have to realize that the threat is coming from the Muslim community and increase surveillance there,” the chairman of the House subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence told National Review. “We can’t be bound by political correctness. I think we need more police and more surveillance in the communities where the threat is coming from.”He went on to suggest that the two suspects' Chechen background and Tamerlan Tsarnaev's visit to Russia last year suggested increased radicalization of the Chechen community. The two brothers immigrated to the United States in 2001 from Kyrgyzstan, and the FBI has so far not released any evidence that they did not act alone.“There’s never been any history of any threats emanating in this country from the Chechen community,” King told the Review. “So in a way this opens up a new front in the war.”
If someone writes of thinks likes he will be banned from the forum. Forget about even getting traction in India's normal life. However, this is the only process to deal with Islamic terror. Everything else is "terror is not globlal", "terror has no religion", "terror is actually freedom fighting" or "terror is fight for justice"
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Interesting first hand look at the Tsarnaev family:

http://alyssalindley.tumblr.com/post/48 ... on-bombers

Lots of similarities with Arab/TSPian immigrants in the US - conspiracy theories about 9/11, forced marriages, modern at home - burkha outside, etc.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rangudu wrote:Interesting first hand look at the Tsarnaev family:

http://alyssalindley.tumblr.com/post/48 ... on-bombers

Lots of similarities with Arab/TSPian immigrants in the US - conspiracy theories about 9/11, forced marriages, modern at home - burkha outside, etc.
Wholesome devout family looks like. Living in an immoral kafir land. Dar ul harb. :roll: :D
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

Gagan wrote:Mass. State Police chief Col Timothy Alben saying that after the suspect was located in the boat, their Police helicopter had a FLIR which saw the suspect by his heat signature inside the boat, and they then directed the police to the boat accordingly.
nawabs wrote:Guardian reports one officer saying - "We thought we had the perimeter solid … but he was about one block away," the official says.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ap ... -watertown
on npr last night, somebody said, the house was in the perimeter, but the backyard of the house( where the boat was) was not! so their perimeter search missed him but aerial thermal imaging caught him. 20x24 boat.

just before hoping on the car and turning the radio on, i had seen images of the yard on the old thread. i remember seeing a huge open parking lot behind the backyard. so this house must have been some sort of transitional zone. and the house must be on the last residential street.

these guys searching the house but not the backyard was a surreal wtf moment.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

shiv wrote:Wholesome devout family looks like. Living in an immoral kafir land. Dar ul harb. :roll: :D
My wife used to go to a TSPian lady who ran a 'beauty parlor' from her house. I can't but help wonder about the similarities