Positive News from the USA

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Positive News from the USA

Post by shiv »

Uttam wrote:I am really not sure of the purpose of this thread. I understand there is a lot to be upset about the Diplomat's arrest. But all this thread can do is create animus between two countries which can only be in the interest of our common adversaries viz. Na-Pak and China. Neither democracy is perfect and we both have a lot to learn from each other. However, calling out names for each other is not the best way to learn.

I have been on Bharat-Rakshak for almost a decade now and very rarely post because I consider myself less informed than most other members here. But I feel strongly against the tone adopted on this thread. I hope more mature voices will prevail.

Best Regards.
Look at this logically

The US does things that are in its interest. I have been told this a thousand times on here by people who know the US well. Even if we railed and cursed the US here (rather than simply post positive news as we are doing :P ) it would have no bearing on the US's actions. The US would simply do what is in its interest.

So how would this thread create "animus" between two nations? Perhaps its just a very Indian feeling you are expressing in which you believe that we should speak well of the US (i.e. give them "maryada") and expect them to speak well of us. But seriously, do you believe that? Do you believe that anything that has been said on here in your ten years of lurking has made an iota of difference to the way the US goes about conducting its affairs?

One way of learning would be to call the US names and then see how they feel. I have Indian American friends who self righteously pointed out to me that the US was right in arresting Khobragade because India is head honcho of slavery in the world and that cavity searches are par for the course and Indians, especially privileged Indians had better get used to it because it is the great USA that does it . Are you suggesting that these people, Indian Americans, telling me all this are doing Indo-American relations a great favor and are doing everything in their power to prevent animus from arising?

To me they are acting like stupid idiots. How does it make anything worse if I act like a stupid idiot too. Clearly no one bothers to point out the all-weather all-time stupid idiot season that goes on in the USA - perhaps for fear of "creating animus". However everyone in the US, UKstan, Pakistan and Dalitstan are quite happy to list the things that happen in idiot season in India. I don't think that returning the compliment is such a bad thing. Why do you believe it is?
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Deleted
Last edited by Suraj on 24 Jan 2014 22:56, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please use the forum feedback thread
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Getting more bojitive positive vibes from US of A

It's Time to End Child Poverty in Rich America With Urgency and Persistence
Fifty years after President Lyndon Johnson declared a War on Poverty, the United States is still not a fair playing field for millions of children afflicted by preventable poverty, hunger, homelessness, sickness, poor education and violence in the world’s richest economy with a gross domestic product (GDP) of $15.7 trillion.

Every fifth child (16.1 million) is poor, and every tenth child (7.1 million) is extremely poor. Children are the poorest age group and the younger they are the poorer they are. Every fourth infant, toddler and preschool child (5 million) is poor; 1 in 8 is extremely poor. A majority of our one- and two-year-olds are already children of color. In five years children of color who are disproportionately poor, nearly 1 in 3, will be a majority of all children in America and of our future workforce, military and consumers. But millions of them are unready for school, poorly educated and unprepared to face the future. Nearly 60 percent of all our children and more than 80 percent of our Black and nearly 75 percent of our Latino children cannot read or compute at grade level in fourth and eighth grade and so many drop out of school before graduating. Seventy-five percent of young people ages 17-24 cannot get into the military because of poor literacy, health or prior incarceration.

The greatest threat to America’s economic, military and national security comes from no enemy without but from our failure, unique among high income nations, to invest adequately and fairly in the health, education and sound development of all of our young.

We call on President Obama and America’s political leaders in every party at every level to mount a long overdue, unwavering, and persistent war to prevent and eliminate child poverty and finish the task President Johnson and Dr. King began. Two- and three-year-olds have no politics and we must reject any leaders who for any reason play political football with the lives of millions of our children and our nation’s future. If America is to lead in the 21st century world, we must reset our economic and moral compass.
And MIT Nobel laureate economist Robert Solow in his foreword to a 1994 CDF report Wasting America’s Future was prescient when he wrote:

“For many years Americans have allowed child poverty levels to remain astonishingly high — higher than for American adults; higher than for children in nations that are our competitors; higher than from the entire period of the late 1960s and 1970s, a period when we had less wealth as a nation than we do now; and far higher than one would think a rich and ethical society would tolerate. The justification, when one is offered at all, has often been that action is expensive: ‘We have more will than wallet.’ I suspect that in fact our wallets exceed our will, but in any event this concern for the drain on our resources completely misses the other side of the equation: Inaction has its costs too…As an economist I believe that good things are worth paying for; and that even if curing children’s poverty were expensive, it would be hard to think of a better use in the world for money. If society cares about children, it should be willing to spend money on them.”
If America’s dream continues to fade for millions of poor, near-poor and middle-class children and families; work and wages continue to decline; and education and basic survival needs -- including adequate food and housing -- continue to be ravaged to protect the powerful interests of the top 1 percent that has cornered 22 percent of the nation’s income, then America will miss the boat to the future. More importantly, we will miss a great opportunity to show the world a living and just society in a majority non-White and poor world desperately in need of moral example. Oh yeah I totally get up every morning in desperation to look at gori chamri world for "moral example". TRUE STORY !!!!
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Folks, gentle request....humor(note the kosher Khan certified spelling), satire etc is all fine on this thread but please refrain from celebrating news of killings....I know in Paki/Benis threads this is done but not here please. Use your judgment on what you post and the tone of your posts. Thanks.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Even prisoners to get bread. And water!
The flags are part of a push for patriotism in county jail cells that includes listening to the "Star-Spangled Banner" every morning and "God Bless America" every night over the intercom system.
The guy I saw jogging the other day wearing knickers made out of the Union Jack must have come out of the British pilot version of this program.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Americans are fast becoming or have already become the thing they thought the others were doing, that ought to be made fun of..

- in the movie 'moscow on the hudson' - when robin williams defects, the nypd cop says interesting stuff about 'following rules' that the soviet do and 'doing the right thing as per notions of freedom and liberty' as amirkhans do. massans probably won't even recognize the irony if they watch it now.

- amirkhans make mucho fun of the poor ignorant chinese being controlled and manipulated by an orwellian chicom establishment. think again khans...
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Bose saar: Is this kind of news halaal on this thread or will it cause sanctions????

Sex education Amriki ishtyle:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/5202236
An Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper with a history of domestic violence won't face charges related to alleged sexual encounters involving a boy, Sandusky County Sheriff's Deputy Sean O'Connell said.

Trooper Ricky Vitte Jr. acknowledged to his wife that he watched ***** with the boy five years ago and both Vitte and the boy masturbated together, according to a report by O'Connell.

Vitte later told his wife he was attempting to teach the boy about sex, the report said.

Vitte said a dresser blocked his and the boy's views of each other as they both masturbated, according to the report, which also alleges there were two sexual encounters of that nature involving Vitte and the boy.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

So how would this thread create "animus" between two nations?
It would not. It would turn off common Americans though. The vast majority of whom have good feelings for India and Indians.

Imagine there was a 'pojitiv news about India' thread on mainstream American forums.
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

Raja Bose wrote:Folks, gentle request....humor(note the kosher Khan certified spelling), satire etc is all fine on this thread but please refrain from celebrating news of killings....I know in Paki/Benis threads this is done but not here please. Use your judgment on what you post and the tone of your posts. Thanks.

Thank You Mr Moderator.

To answer Dr. Shiv. When I first arrived in US in the deep South, I used to get all kinds of questions about what happens in India. People will pick on incidents that we find totally trivial because of their infrequent happening or becuase they are so limited in their geographical scope and we would ignore them. I had to go great lengths to explain them India's diversity and how a silly incident picked by media is misrepresentation of India at large. All of that talk enraged me (animus, if I can call it) because I always had and still have very high opinion of India. Not that I was unaware of these incidents, it is just that I do not like to hear from an outsider. Most of the posts here are doing the same about the US. Anybody from US will probably feel the same rage. Again not because they are unware of the shortcoming but for they don't want to hear from an outsider.

Yes everyone does/should do things with self interest in mind. However by calling names and pushing people into corner again by picking up minor silly or even major incidents you only increase animus and change what they think is in their best interest.

Somebody pointed to the NYT blog. I have never been to that site and do not plan to. There are a lot of shitty place on the web. That doesn't mean we have to change our fabric.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

LokeshC wrote:Bose saar: Is this kind of news halaal on this thread or will it cause sanctions????

Sex education Amriki ishtyle:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/5202236
Silly the trooper was only helping the boy with his school homework. In school they teach all theory, they have to get some practicals as well no.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Theo_Fidel wrote:
It would not. It would turn off common Americans though. The vast majority of whom have good feelings for India and Indians.

Imagine there was a 'pojitiv news about India' thread on mainstream American forums.
Ever read NYT, CNN, Faux Neuuj (no to mention their briturd cousins PEEPEECEE) about India? They don't need a 'pojitiv news about India thread'. They can turn on the TV for that.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Dhoti Shiberrrrrrr :(( :((
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Count-up to the anniversary -- day 1.

Post by Shreeman »

(Special Report on recommendation from my compatriot Mr Jones)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The White house takes lead in promoting the United States leadership in robotics.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/08/ ... eks-robots
keywords: mirror, shirt, two-poop theory.

(January 24, U-NSN staff volunteer; uncredited, of course) We start the reporting (after breaking of the ceremonial coconut, by banging my head in this case on the nearest wall) of the great achievements of the United States. We do this by noting personal initiatives taken by the High Royal Highness President B. Hussain Obama.

The administration’s National Robotics Initiative http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/03/ ... dge-robots  aims at accelerating spending of public funds to allegedly expand the horizons of human capacity and potentially add over $100 billion to the American debt in the next decade.

The White House is always hard at work watching over the robots (sometimes drones, mind you, but don't look over there or up). We Americans celebrate robotics on Mars http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/1stbday/ and the role of American robotics in improving quality life on Earth -- sometimes adding and sometimes removing it to keep the equilibrium. All these robots have been invented by great Americans alone.

To highlight these achievements, the white house held a "hangout". The very appropriately termed -- “We the Geeks” hangout on robots was held on Friday, August 9th, 2013 at 2:00 pm. No beer was supplied during this summit, although individuals in their own living rooms may have had access to levitating and euphoric refreshments at their own discretion and expenses.

Pioneering, world-leading scientists, the most important personalities in the United States, certified by the White House and thoroughly whetted, and who have spent their lives collecting extensive publication records of several hundred publications each and tens of thousands of citations discussed how robots will change everything from school to the factory to the operating rooms (the responsibility of Ms. Okamura) for public benefit.

This hangout was needed for generating positive news for the Obama Administration’s National Robotics Initiative http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/03/ ... dge-robots Lets highlight medicine again! -- Americans will get even better healthcare from this work. The White House aims at more such events to inform the public about this initiative.

The event
-----------
Led by the somewhat strangely named Vijay Kumar (a meek individual with a short stature and sunken cheeks, but American, we totally checked), a mere assistant director for robotics and cyber-physical Systems (but we all know diversity is an all-important component of White House education policy) who obviously needed direction from Tom Kalil, the deputy director for technology and innovation at the white house office of science and technology policy. Mr Kalil was further assisted by John Green, a best selling author and popular video blogger for curating the questions. Really, Mr Kumar was probably just there for the show. Together these individuals identified the five besetest American experts, unquestionably the cream of the US robotics faculty:

• Rodney Brooks, President, Rethink Robotics http://www.rethinkrobotics.com/
• Daniela Rus, Director of Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory http://www.csail.mit.edu/
• Matthew Mason, Director, Robotics Institute http://www.ri.cmu.edu/
• Robin Murphy, Director of the Center for Robot-Assisted Search and Rescue http://crasar.org,

and for medical robotics and haptics in particular, the eminent scientist and lady professor:

• Allison Okamura, Principal Investigator, Collaborative Haptics and Robotics in Medicine Lab http://charm.stanford.edu/ , Stanford University

Ms Okamura represents heights unreached by any previous lady faculty member in her quality of work and has been featured on the cover of haptics and robotics magazines. Even her students have given TED talks and she often graciously opens her laboratory during open-houses to demonstrate her work and promote better understand this cutting edge technology.

Women all around the world look up to individuals such as Ms Okamura who have overcome the gender gap to prominently represent women in science and engineering. Her nearly two decade long hard work has had prominent impact on … ( hey!! slow down, wait just a cotton-picking minute… what was that again? Impact on what? we missed something here, will check and report back soon, our interns have been berated for their poor shorthand ).

Transcripts and twitter archives are available at http://www.whitehouse.gov/wethegeeks and the hashtag #WeTheGeeks https://twitter.com/search?q=%23wethegeeks&src=hash for the benefit of the uneducated masses who can only marvel at the nearly magical discoveries and advances by these scientists.

The leadership of the United States in cutting-edge technology is unquestionable. These educators motivate not just the American public but are a beacon of bright light to people all over the world.

The media is grateful to the President and the White House for judiciously expedtining the spending of public money to further important education and healthcare goals (and in no way use the technology for war machines) as well as provide motivation and role models to women and children around the world to emulate for their own goals and ambitions.

(U-NSN, of course received no invitation to the event, on our own initiative we hurried to make time upon the discovery, which is to say got off our bum and went next door to turn on the computer screen. We will be more involved in the future, we promise.)

Hussain HankPsnky
U-NSN
Silicone Valley Wilds
(unnamed intern contributions ungratefully misappropriated)
Last edited by Shreeman on 25 Jan 2014 00:39, edited 2 times in total.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Sagar G wrote:

Dhoti Shiberrrrrrr :(( :((
Please let the regularly scheduled programming proceed until the personality of the collected information is revealed. Threads can always be edited, pruned, removed, censored, improved.

There is plenty of positive news on all countries. and its interpretations are your own. We are not jedi, but patience has been promoted by all the Ghandi family members, including those of phoren import, as well.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Uttam wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:Folks, gentle request....humor(note the kosher Khan certified spelling), satire etc is all fine on this thread but please refrain from celebrating news of killings....I know in Paki/Benis threads this is done but not here please. Use your judgment on what you post and the tone of your posts. Thanks.

Thank You Mr Moderator.

To answer Dr. Shiv. When I first arrived in US in the deep South, I used to get all kinds of questions about what happens in India. People will pick on incidents that we find totally trivial because of their infrequent happening or becuase they are so limited in their geographical scope and we would ignore them. I had to go great lengths to explain them India's diversity and how a silly incident picked by media is misrepresentation of India at large. All of that talk enraged me (animus, if I can call it) because I always had and still have very high opinion of India. Not that I was unaware of these incidents, it is just that I do not like to hear from an outsider. Most of the posts here are doing the same about the US. Anybody from US will probably feel the same rage. Again not because they are unware of the shortcoming but for they don't want to hear from an outsider.

Yes everyone does/should do things with self interest in mind. However by calling names and pushing people into corner again by picking up minor silly or even major incidents you only increase animus and change what they think is in their best interest.

Somebody pointed to the NYT blog. I have never been to that site and do not plan to. There are a lot of shitty place on the web. That doesn't mean we have to change our fabric.
Utttam,

The truth is neither good nor bad. It has noi personality. It has no fabric. And it is a core value espoused by everyone.

You are intrepreting a baby's first words. Perhaps even his intentions.

When BR itself started these were these same concerns every dxay. 1990s is probably too long ago, but look at the value-added by BENIS. That is not, i repeat, not the intent here. But BENIS was martyred no less than half a dozen times before it found its personality and role.

We do not know what the fate has in store for us yet, accelerating digestion produces plentiful flatulence as the good doctor will confirm, not to mention the discomfort.

If we have not created it, we do not control it. There is neither glory nor shame in truth. Facts are essential to level-headed informed collegial harmonious productive (no-end of positive objectives) discussion. There is no carpet big enough to cover them up and no bottle of perfume persian enough to hide the stench.
MurthyB
BRFite
Location: "Visa Officer", Indian Consulate #13,451, Khost Province, Afghanistan

Post by MurthyB »

In the following, it appears the same gloves are used on the two wimmin, and the order is from back to front. Now I am not a doctor or a wimmins, but something tells me that's ain't right, but then I am sure "US Law enforcement" knows best.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Ooo! Hu data Vick-Daan hu? I cyaint say that name.

But I have been reading 400% jay-new-wine Positive News. New book by Frederick bin Forsyth Bilayati, titled
The Kill List
MY kind of book of course, productivity in work now at zero until I finish it. Curious theme:
1. Boy (guess from where) goes to school and learns religion.
2. Boy takes to preaching, and becomes a successful TV preacher. Actually, Internet preacher.
3. Many all over the Duniya download his video preachings.
4. He does not even wear dark glasses or contact lenses, his eyes give him away (portrayed as "amber eyes", probably to trigger memories of the movie "Exorcist" or the one where the yellow-eyed munna was born)
5. He becomes vastly popular, and people ****presumed to be***** inspired by him, go and commit Deeds that they may believe to be tickets to Heaven.

6. POTUS authorizes and orders his murder.
7. US and Poodle braves drink barrels of Rooh Afza, travel first-class all over the Duniya, rush around in taxis and limos, have hush-hush meetings over more Rooh Afza, creeping along walls and using side doors to "avoid detection" and make it convenient for those following them to note the suspicious behavior.
8. $$B worth of computers, airplanes, tanks, ships, missiles, more planes, Google Earth, guns, more taxis, bombs...
9. All presumably to Kill the Preacher. I haven't reached the end yet.

WHY? BECAUSE HE EXPRESSED HIS OPINIONS. He didn't shoot anyone, or otherwise be even accused of any violence, let alone all this nonsense of Fair Trial etc.

As Don McLean sang:
Well this is Life!
Living the American Way!..
Now we bring you the Evening News..
A man's gone insane and been shot by Police!
We burned the city 'cause they wouldn't agree!
But things go better with Democraceee!!!

I am so glad the Americans and British are out there Defending the Right To Free Speech!
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Chris Christie Upsets New Jersey with Bridge Closings
In September 2013, the citizens of Fort Lee, N.J. experienced a traffic snarl like no other. Three incoming lanes on the George Washington Bridge were closed due to what was then being called a traffic study. However, it was later revealed that it was actually the actions of an aide inside the Governor’s administration. The traffic was held up for four days, causing the death of one woman as paramedics were delayed in getting her to the hospital while she suffered from a heart attack, and police officers were delayed in their search for a missing child.

ManjaM
BRFite

Post by ManjaM »

johneeG, you aint playin dis right.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Moderator's Note

a) Please stop providing gratuitous advice on the topic of this thread. If you have a comment to make, use the forum feedback thread.
b) Please post serious discussion in the Psyops or other pertinent thread.
c) This is a thread for humor and mirth. It will exist as long as there are posters who wish to release stress related to ongoing happenings through the medium of humor.
d) If you don't like the brand of humor, either skip this thread, or if you're compelled to comment, see (a)
e) Off topic posts and comments on the thread will be deleted. Repeatedly doing so will earn a warning for thread disruption.

johneeG's comment has been moved to the psyops thread.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

For all those who doubted that Wayne and Alicia M. would not be rewarded: America rewards performance:

JP Morgan pays $20B fine, gives CEO 74% raise
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Sophisticated form of corruption silicon valley ishtyle.

http://pando.com/2014/01/23/the-techtop ... ers-wages/
The Techtopus: How Silicon Valley’s most celebrated CEOs conspired to drive down 100,000 tech engineers’ wages
Yindians still practice third world corruption and are yet to acquire such advanced capabilities :lol: US should block the transfer of this sensitive technology.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

A_Gupta wrote:
Cosmo_R wrote:
It is a big country.

And, I won't even get into another cashier encounter in Phoenix AZ where she asked me for my zip code I said '06XXX' and she said "Wow! where do zip codes start with a '0'? and when told, said "Where exactly is that?"

Big country. Lots of wonderful people and relatively (compared to UK/France/Europe) few oiseaules.

The ones who don't know about unknown unknowns apparently are not the problem?
I believe Rumsfeld falls into the oiseaule category in a league of his own.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

ManjaM wrote:johneeG, you aint playin dis right.
Yo dude, go easy on the bro. You should be tagged, searched and watched... :((

----

Kevin thought he would lighten the mood with a simple, "At least buy me dinner first," joke. He then underwent an entire anal cavity search.

explicit pic:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-M-SpA3edM9I/U ... 734746.jpg

----

----

----

----

Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

X-post

Matt Heimbech: The true American Hero saving "us Americans" from the Barbarians
At first glance, Matt Heimbach looks like a friendly neighbor, an always-smiling, 22-year-old college graduate who goes to church, and loves country music and drinking beer with his buddies.

But Heimbach is a white separatist who believes that the United States would be a better place if it were divided and went back to segregation. He has been called the future of organized hate in this country.

"Loving one's people is natural," he said. "Every other group is allowed to love their race for the best interest of their race. There's no reason why whites shouldn't."

When asked if he considered himself a racist, Heimbach said, "Sure. So what? I call it natural."

Last year, Heimbach launched a nationwide college recruitment campaign to spread his beliefs and has been on a cross-country trip to form all-white student unions on college campuses. His recruitment efforts started at his alma mater Towson University, and has plans to visit George Mason University in Virginia, Indiana State in Terre Haute, Ind., and American University in Washington, D.C. this spring.

He is tapping into a growing and frightening discontent in the U.S. In the last decade, the number of hate groups has nearly doubled from 602 to 1,007, according to Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

"The election of Barack Obama ... has ginned up the anger and fury out there," Potok said. "The fact that a black man was elected president, not once but twice, has merely added to that fury."

Heimbach was raised in a middle-class Maryland suburb. His parents are schoolteachers who, Heimbach admits, did not teach him to be racist. Today, he is estranged from his family.

"People always say, 'Well, he was raised like that.' Well, no, I wasn't. I was raised [in a] moderate Catholic home," he said. "My parents are ... very, very moderate."

Heimbach said he loved history and the Bible, and in his reading both, he found a place of superiority. In high school, he played a Confederate soldier in Civil War battle reenactments. It's those days of slavery that Heimbach calls the good old days.

"We would be a lot better off if the South would have won," he said.

He fears white heterosexual Christians have fallen prey, as he puts it. Many white separatists note that U.S. Census trends show whites being a minority by 2043. Heimbach attributed the issues white people face today to the slaughter of Native Americans centuries ago.

"The cataclysmic end to this empire is fast approaching," he said. "Was what happened to the Native Americans horrible? Yeah. But that's what's happening to whites now in this country."

Heimbach is far from alone in these beliefs. This year, he was a speaker at a "Stormfront" convention, a sort of annual retreat for white supremacists, where he met David Duke, a former Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan and former Louisiana state representative. He has since appeared as a guest on Duke's Internet radio show.

Heimbach sees the future of America as a place of extreme segregation "where there is no ill will, there is no hostility."

"We can still trade and get a visa," he said. A visa to visit, in his world, white Christians in the South, Jews in New York, blacks in Detroit, just to name a few of his examples.

member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Why in the world are these brown savages (or is it red savages) infecting the US huh? They do didly squat and steal our tax monies. We have to civilize them I say. One of em honorable county officials from Michigan has just got a fabulous plan drawn out for this. Bout time we cowboys take care of em good for nothin injun savages.

Michigan GOP official: ‘Herd all the Indians’ to Detroit, build a fence and throw in corn.
In a recent interview for a profile by The New Yorker titled “Drop Dead, Detroit!” Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson admitted, “Anytime I talk about Detroit, it will not be positive. Therefore, I’m called a Detroit basher. The truth hurts, you know? Tough sh*t.”

Patterson recalled telling his children to “get in and get out” if they needed to go to Detroit.

“And, before you go to Detroit, you get your gas out here. You do not, do not, under any circumstances, stop in Detroit at a gas station! That’s just a call for a carjacking,” he said.

Patterson also proposed a fix to Detroit’s financial problems: Turn the city into a reservation for Native Americans.

“I made a prediction a long time ago, and it’s come to pass. I said, ‘What we’re gonna do is turn Detroit into an Indian reservation, where we herd all the Indians into the city, build a fence around it, and then throw in the blankets and the corn.’” :rotfl:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Theo_Fidel wrote:

My response here
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 6#p1583106

Meanwhile I am getting back to regular programming.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

was this posted? apologies if so..can't keep track of all the instance..good lord there are many

http://articles.philly.com/2014-01-19/n ... -charles-h
A surveillance video shows children running down Girard toward 15th Street, Manning among them. A police wagon - transporting a homeless man to a hospital, Ramsey said - pulls up as the group runs.

Since the surveillance footage was taken from a street camera that switches angles every 10 seconds, it is difficult to tell exactly what happened during Manning's arrest.

But one segment of the video shows Manning walking around the side of the wagon, where an officer appears to push him up against the vehicle.

Later, Manning can be seen on the ground in what Ramsey called a struggle with officers. Several police cars, lights flashing, idle nearby. In another segment, he is standing, surrounded by officers.

Lewis Small, Manning's attorney, said that after his client's arrest, a female officer grabbed the teen's genitals during a pat-down search and pulled, causing a testicle to rupture. :eek: Joyner said Manning underwent emergency surgery the next day and may have been rendered sterile. :(
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Theo_Fidel wrote:

Did you check out NYT blogs posted by Gupta ji ? Full of bojitiv newj from India. Ofcourse WP would have it's own bojitiv newj India section, no.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Positive news about India started with Katherine Mayo whose work Mahatma Gandhi said was a drain inspector's report.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

MurthyB wrote:
Gosh, I am so jealous .. I wish I were all american police afsar. Maybe in next janam ..

USA
USA
USA
USA
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

do any of the european police or japani police have similar cases as we see in full flower on this thread?

retaining and dehumanizing a huge prison population seems to be the only goal of law enforcement there. (seriously someone who stole $100 got 20 yrs without parole I read!)
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

this is where the much vaunted jury system fails abjectly. it is a nightmare scenario when groups have so much prejudice against one another...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gus wrote:was this posted? apologies if so..can't keep track of all the instance..good lord there are many

http://articles.philly.com/2014-01-19/n ... -charles-h
A surveillance video shows children running down Girard toward 15th Street, Manning among them. A police wagon - transporting a homeless man to a hospital, Ramsey said - pulls up as the group runs.

Since the surveillance footage was taken from a street camera that switches angles every 10 seconds, it is difficult to tell exactly what happened during Manning's arrest.

But one segment of the video shows Manning walking around the side of the wagon, where an officer appears to push him up against the vehicle.

Later, Manning can be seen on the ground in what Ramsey called a struggle with officers. Several police cars, lights flashing, idle nearby. In another segment, he is standing, surrounded by officers.

Lewis Small, Manning's attorney, said that after his client's arrest, a female officer grabbed the teen's genitals during a pat-down search and pulled, causing a testicle to rupture. :eek: Joyner said Manning underwent emergency surgery the next day and may have been rendered sterile. :(
Philadelphia Policewoman in Medical Research Breakthrough
Medical researchers have known for long that mammalian testicles are situated outside the body because sperm production requires lower temperatures than core body temperature. However this also means that testicles have an abnormally long and tenuous blood supply coming from arteries that originate inside the abdomen and track their way out to the testicles.

While medical professionals are well aware that a gradual enlargement of the testicles that pull them down in slow motion allows the blood vessels to elongate and keep supplying the testicles, it was not known how far testicles can be pulled out quickly before the organ loses its blood supply and undergoes necrosis, a code word used by doctors when something dies but is not yet rotting.

In this Philadelphia research study a 16 year old human male specimen was subjected to acute testicular traction by a policewoman who was trained for this. While it was not clear whether a dynamometer was used to measure the force applied and the exact moment at which the retractile force exceeded the combined tensile strength of the dermis, cremaster and cord structures, these would be easy to measure in retrospect because every male human is equipped with a spare testicle that can be used for further medical research.

What is remarkable here - and a lesson for educationists in largely illiterate countries such as India is the way in which widespread literacy allows police personnel in the US to make valuable contributions to medical knowledge and the effects of acute trauma.

(Disclaimer: This reporter has no pecuniary interest in the research reported here. Gratitude must be expressed tor the anonymous lady officer of the Philadelphia police department without whose manual dexterity and anatomical awareness this research study could not have taken place. )
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Rony wrote:X-post

Matt Heimbech: The true American Hero saving "us Americans" from the Barbarians

Segregation and slavery is so old-school and passe. US has moved on to prisons!

The Societal Impact of the Prison Industrial Complex, or Incarceration for Fun and Profit—Mostly Profit

by Alex Friedmann

At the beginning of the 1980s there were no privately-operated adult correctional facilities in the United States. As of 2009, more than 129,300 state and federal prisoners were housed in for-profit lock-ups. Prison privatization has become an acceptable practice and the private prison industry is now a multi-billion dollar business. How did this drastic expansion of incarceration-for-profit occur, and more importantly how has it rearranged the criminal justice landscape?

The prison and jail population in the United States has increased exponentially over the past several decades, from 648,000 in 1983 to more than 2.3 million as of 2010. That doesn’t include another 5 million people on parole and probation, plus millions more who were formerly incarcerated and are no longer under correctional supervision. Spending on prisons has outstripped expenditures on higher education in at least five states, including Michigan, Connecticut and California, as lawmakers engage in one-upmanship to prove who’s tougher on crime.

Why has our nation’s prison population grown to epic proportions, until the U.S. – with only 5 percent of the world’s population – now has 25 percent of the world’s prisoners?
The succinct answer is because imprisonment has become enormously profitable as a result of politically-influenced decisions as to who should be locked up and for how long. In the 1980s and 90s a series of tough-on-crime laws were enacted, spurred by the so-called War on Drugs and the corporate media’s steady and often sensationalistic coverage of violent offenses. Such laws included mandatory minimums, truth-in-sentencing statutes and three-strikes laws, which required lengthy prison terms or life sentences for certain offenders.

Consequently, more and more people were arrested, prosecuted, convicted and sent to prison where they served longer periods of time under harsher sentencing statutes.
Concurrently, prison release policies became more restrictive; for example, parole in the federal prison system was abolished in 1987. With more people entering the prison system to serve longer sentences and fewer leaving, the U.S. prison population grew rapidly – increasing over 350 percent from 1983 to the present.

This prison population boom created a market for companies that found they could profit by providing correctional services, and a multi-billion dollar industry was born to capitalize on crime and punishment. The industry, commonly referred to as the “Prison Industrial Complex,” is composed of a confluence of business, policy and special interest groups that collectively profit from incarceration. The most overt members include private prisons companies such as Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), GEO Group (formerly Wackenhut Corrections), Management and Training Corp. (MTC), Cornell Corrections (acquired by GEO in 2010) and a bevy of smaller firms that operate detention facilities.

Beyond companies that own or operate prisons there are a number of other businesses that benefit from the prison boom – ranging from corporations that provide prison and jail food services (Aramark, Canteen Services), prison medical care (e.g., Prison Health Services and Correctional Medical Services, now combined into one company, Corizon), privat-ized probation supervision (such as Sentinel Offender Services) and prisoner transportation (TransCor, PTS of America), to the banks and investment firms that provide bond financing for new prisons, the construction companies that build them, suppliers of razor wire, surveillance cameras and other security equipment, etc. In short, the expansion of the U.S. prison population created an enormously profitable market opportunity. CCA alone grossed $1.67 billion in revenue in 2010; its closest competitor, GEO Group, grossed $1.24 billion.

The private companies that comprise the Prison Industrial Complex have thus reaped substantial monetary benefits by surfing the wave of overincarceration that has swept over our nation’s criminal justice system. They are the ones that most obviously benefit from putting more people in prison for longer periods of time. But what are the collateral consequences of for-profit incarceration as social policy?

Frustrating Prison Reform Efforts

Criminal justice policies in the U.S. are based in large part on capacity – that is, the capacity of state and federal prison systems, as well as sentencing and parole policies that govern the number of people entering prison and being released. The need for bed space created by our nation’s bloated prison population has outstripped existing capacity, leading states and the federal government to go on a prison-building binge and, when that solution failed to accommodate growing numbers of prisoners, to overcrowd correctional facilities by double- or triple-bunking cells and installing beds in prison gyms, classrooms and even chapels.

However, overcrowding – which leads to increased violence, decreased access to medical care for prisoners and a host of other problems – can only go so far. At some point it becomes impossible or impractical to cram more prisoners into already-packed cells, and too expensive to build more prisons. Enter CCA, GEO Group and other companies that finance and build their own correctional facilities, which provide public prison systems with supplemental bed space capacity. Notably, if private prison firms did not provide such additional beds, then state and federal governments would be forced to address the harsh sentencing laws and prison release policies that have resulted in overincarceration and prison overcrowding.

Thus the private prison industry – the moving force behind the Prison Industrial Complex – has served to stymie criminal justice reform efforts over the past several decades, particularly in terms of sentencing and release policies. Rather than being forced to deal with the repercussions of such policies, government officials have used private prisons as a safety valve. As an analogy, if our prison system was a bucket being filled to overflowing by a steady stream of prisoners, the extra bed space provided by the private prison industry allows prisoners to be siphoned off into another bucket. So long as this additional capacity is provided by private prisons, government officials can postpone having to deal with such politically-unpopular issues as sentencing reform or decreasing the prison population.

Indeed, more sensible, socially-beneficial criminal justice policies are considered a threat to private prison firms. According to CCA’s 2010 annual report, “The demand for our facilities and services could be adversely affected by the relaxation of enforcement efforts, leniency in conviction or parole standards and sentencing practices or through the decriminalization of certain activities that are currently proscribed by our criminal laws.
For instance, any changes with respect to drugs and controlled substances or illegal immigration could affect the number of persons arrested, convicted, and sentenced, thereby potentially reducing demand for correctional facilities to house them.”

Although private prisons hold only 8 percent of state and federal prisoners, that is an important 8 percent. In 2009, private prisons were utilized by the federal government and 32 states, of which some have become dependent on privatization to accommodate their prison population levels. As of the end of 2009, ten states had 20 percent or more of their prisoners in privately-operated facilities, including New Mexico (43.3 percent), Montana (39.8 percent), Vermont (30.1 percent) and Hawaii (28.0 percent). The federal Bureau of Prisons houses 16.4 percent of its population in for-profit facilities – which does not include thousands of detainees held by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in private detention centers. By leveraging a relatively small number of beds nationwide, the private prison industry has managed to forestall much-needed criminal justice reform that would address the problems of overincarceration and overcrowding in the U.S. prison system.

More Violence and Increased Recidivism

Another deleterious aspect of the private prison industry is that, contrary to the claims of for-profit prison companies, prisoners held in privately-operated facilities are subjected to higher levels of violence. Also, when prisoners are released from such prisons they are less likely to be rehabilitated and more likely to recidivate.

Realizing why private prisons have higher levels of violence requires an understanding of the business model of the private prison industry and how the industry generates profit. At a basic level, public and private prisons have many simi-larities; both require cell blocks, fences, security staff, medical units, etc. In terms of operating costs, approximately 70-80 percent of a prison’s expenses are related to staffing. Specifically, how many staff members are employed, how much they are paid, what benefits they receive and the amount of training provided.

Since such a high percentage of operating expenses are related to staffing, that is where private prison firms cut costs to generate profit. On average, they employ fewer staff members than comparable public prisons; they pay less than in the public sector; they offer fewer (or less costly) benefits; and they provide less training. These tactics undeniably reduce expenses for private prison firms and boost their bottom line, but at what cost?

There is substantial evidence to support the business model of the private prison industry described above. For example, according to the 2000 Corrections Yearbook, the average starting salary for private prison guards was $17,628 while the average starting salary in public prisons was $23,002. More recently, when CCA announced plans not to renew its contract to operate the Hernando County Jail in Florida effective August 2010, the sheriff said he would resume control over the jail. He also said he would increase the salaries of qualified CCA employees retained at the facility by more than $7,000 annually, to bring them in line with the salaries of the county’s corrections deputies – indicating the pay differential between the public and private sector.

In terms of training for corrections employees, CCA vice president Ron Thompson stated in June 2010 that the company provides “a minimum of 200 hours of initial training, along with at least 40 hours of annual training.” However, this is significantly less than the training that employees in some state prison systems receive. California, for example, requires “a sixteen-week, formal, comprehensive training program” consisting of 640 hours. In Alabama, state prison guards must “successfully complete 480 hours of correctional officer training at an approved Academy.” The New Jersey Dept. of Corrections requires a “14-week, in-residence NJ Police Training Commission course.”
Less training allows private prison companies to cut costs, but at the expense of employing staff who are less prepared for work in a prison setting.

In regard to job benefits, private prison employees do not enjoy government retirement plans, civil service protection or generous health insurance available in the public sector.

As a result of paying lower wages, supplying less training and providing fewer benefits, private prisons have much higher staff turnover rates than their public counterparts.
According to the last self-reported data from the private prison industry, published in the 2000 Corrections Yearbook, the average turnover rate at privately-operated facilities was 53 percent. The average rate in public prisons was 16 percent. More recently, a Texas Senate Committee on Criminal Justice report released in December 2008 found that the “correctional officer turnover rate at the seven private prisons [in Texas] was 90 percent (60 percent for the five privately-operated state jails), which in either case is higher than the 24 percent turnover rate for [state] correctional officers during FY 2008.”

High staff turnover rates, in turn, mean less experienced employees who lack institutional knowledge about the facilities where they work, which results in greater instability in private prisons. Higher turnover also leads to under-staffing, as employees who resign or are terminated leave vacant positions that are not immediately filled. The 2000 Corrections Yearbook found that public prisons had an average guard-to-prisoner ratio of 1 to 5.6, compared with a ratio of 1 to 8 in private prisons – which reflects significantly less staffing at privately-operated facilities. Private prison companies have a financial incentive to keep staff positions vacant, as vacant positions mean reduced payroll costs and thus higher profits.

Understaffing, instability and fewer experienced employees result in higher levels of violence. Several studies have shown that privately-operated prisons experience more violence, including a 2004 report in the Federal Probation Journal that found private prisons had over twice as many prisoner-on-prisoner assaults than in public prisons. A 2001 Bureau of Justice Assistance report found that private prisons had 65 percent more prisoner-on-prisoner assaults and 48 percent more prisoner-on-staff assaults than public prisons with comparable security levels. A more recent 2011 examination of private and public prisons in Tennessee revealed similar results, with privately-operated facilities having higher average numbers and rates of violent incidents than public prisons.

There is also anecdotal evidence that security problems and violence are more likely to occur at private prisons as a result of the industry’s business model, which results in high staff turnover and thus inexperienced staff and greater institutional instability. As just one example, during a four-month period from May to September 2004, CCA experienced four major riots at prisons in Colorado, Oklahoma, Mississippi and Kentucky, plus a hostage-taking at a jail in Florida.

A Department of Corrections report following the uprising in Colorado found that just 33 CCA guards were watching over 1,122 prisoners at the time of the riot – a ratio 1/7th that at Colorado state prisons (which had an average guard-to-prisoner ratio of 1 to 4.7). Some CCA employees had literally been “on the job for two days or less.” The CCA facility had a 45 percent staff turnover rate, and CCA guards were paid an average salary of $1,818 per month compared with $2,774 for state prison officers. As indicated above, these deficiencies are a direct result of the business model of the private prison industry.

Certainly public prisons experience riots, violence and other problems, too – but the frequency and severity of such incidents in private prisons imply that those facilities are more prone to unrest and instability as a consequence of how the private prison industry cuts costs in order to generate profit.

A related issue concerns the rehabilitation of prisoners in privately-operated facilities. Consider that for-profit prison firms have a vested interest in maintaining – and increasing – the number of people behind bars. The sole purpose of companies like CCA and GEO Group is to generate profit, not to ensure public safety, aid in the rehabilitation of offenders or reduce recidivism and thus decrease the amount of crime and victimization in our communities.

During CCA’s annual meeting on May 14, 2010, CCA vice president Dennis Bradby confirmed that the company had not conducted any studies to determine whether the rehabilitative programs offered at its for-profit prisons were effective in terms of reducing recidivism. Independent research, however, has found that prisoners released from privately-operated facilities may have a higher rate of reoffending.

A 2003 joint study by the Florida Dept. of Corrections, Florida State University and Correctional Privatization Commission found that while there were no significant differences in recidivism rates among prisoners in private and public facilities, “in only one of thirty-six comparisons was there evidence that private prisons were more effective than public prisons in terms of reducing recidivism.” More tellingly, a research study published in Crime and Delinquency in 2008, which tracked over 23,000 prison releasees, found that “private prison inmates had a greater hazard of recidivism in all eight models tested, six of which were statistically significant.”

Thus, another outcome of the private prison industry is that prisoners are subjected to higher levels of violence due to the way private prison firms cut staffing costs to generate profit. Further, while the private prison industry benefits by keeping prisoners behind bars, those same prisoners are more likely to reoffend following their release – resulting in greater societal costs in terms of a recurring cycle of crime and incarceration.

Institutionalizing For-Profit Imprisonment

Perhaps the most deleterious effect of the private prison industry is that it has successfully legitimized the concept of for-profit incarceration. While people might question the notion of a privatized police force that benefits financially when people are arrested, allowing companies to profit from people’s imprisonment has become an accepted and normalized part of our nation’s criminal justice system.

Private prison companies and other members of the Prison Industrial Complex do not operate in a vacuum, of course, nor are they solely responsible for crafting an industry that profits from incarceration. They certainly contribute to that state of affairs, though – sometimes literally. As with many other industries, private prison companies make campaign contributions to lawmakers and engage in political influence-peddling through lobbyists.

CCA, the nation’s largest private prison firm, spent about $1 million in both 2009 and 2010 on direct lobbying expenses on the federal level alone. The company and its Political Action Committee further gave over $812,000 in federal and state political donations in 2009 and more than $722,000 in 2010. And that is just one company among many that comprise the Prison Industrial Complex. Through such spending, the private prison industry is able to influence and obtain the support of politicians to further its goals of greater investment in incarceration and expanded privatization in the criminal justice system.

Private prison companies also wield influence by hiring former public officials, mainly from corrections and law enforcement agencies, who use their connections to grease the political wheels that drive the private prison industry machine. CCA’s executives and board members include a former director of Ohio’s prison system, the former chief of facility operations for the New York City Dept. of Corrections, two former directors of the federal Bureau of Prisons, a former deputy assistant secretary of the U.S. Department of Defense, a former U.S. Senator and Thurgood Marshall, Jr. – son of the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice, who served as Secretary to the Cabinet in the Clinton administration.

The private prison industry has further enlisted supposedly-impartial research allies to produce studies that laud the benefits of privatization. For example, the Reason Foundation, a Los Angeles-based libertarian think-tank that promotes privatization of governmental services, receives funding from private prison companies – which it conveniently neglects to mention in its research. GEO Group was listed as a Platinum-level supporter of the Reason Foundation in a 2009 donor report, while CCA was listed as a Gold-level supporter.

Discredited former University of Florida professor Charles Thomas, who operated an academic project that studied the private prison industry, also produced research favorable to private prison companies. It was subsequently discovered that Thomas owned stock in the companies he was studying, sat on the board of Prison Realty Trust (a CCA spin-off) and had been paid $3 million by Prison Realty/CCA. Thomas retired from his University position after those conflicts became known; he was fined $20,000 by the Florida Commission on Ethics.

Additionally, members of the Prison Industrial Complex have formed their own industry trade group, the Association of Private Correctional & Treatment Organizations. APTCO and CCA jointly funded a 2007 Vanderbilt University study that, not surprisingly, found benefits from prison privatization.

More disturbingly, private prison companies have been accused of working behind the scenes to promote harsh sentencing laws that result in more people going to prison for longer periods of time – which, of course, benefits the private prison industry. For instance, in the 1990s and early 2000s, CCA executives John Rees and Brad Wiggins served on the Criminal Justice Task Force of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). ALEC is a powerful free-market organization that describes itself as a “public-private partnership” between state lawmakers and private-sector businesses. ALEC claims almost 2,000 lawmakers as members – one-third of the nation’s state legislators – plus over 250 private companies and foundation members, including Wal-Mart, ExxonMobil, the American Bail Coalition and the National Rifle Association.

ALEC produces model laws that are introduced by legislative members in their home states. The organization’s Criminal Justice Task Force (which has since been folded into the Public Safety and Elections Task Force) has drafted tough-on-crime model legislation for mandatory minimum laws, truth-in-sentencing statutes, three-strike laws and habitual offender laws – all of which result in longer prison terms that directly contribute to overincarceration and prison over-crowding.

ALEC has further promoted model legislation to benefit the private prison industry, including the Private Correctional Facilities Act, which permits state governments to contract with private prison companies. CCA senior director of business development Laurie Shanblum served as a member of ALEC’s Public Safety and Elections Task Force, and in 2010 CCA was tied to ALEC model legislation introduced in Arizona, SB 1070, that is expected to result in an increase in immigrant detention. CCA operates three facilities in Arizona that house ICE detainees.

CCA has denied that it influences legislation that results in more incarceration or longer sentences. However, why would a private prison firm participate in ALEC except to influence criminal justice policy and help craft legislation beneficial to the company? The nation’s second-largest private prison operator, GEO Group, has also been a member of ALEC, though both GEO and CCA no longer have active memberships with the organization.

By currying political favor through lobbying and substantial campaign contributions, by funding academics who produce supposedly-independent private prison studies, and by hiring former public officials, creating its own industry trade group and influencing criminal justice policy-making though participation in ALEC, the private prison industry has established its own legitimacy and ensured that profit trumps public policy when it comes to our nation’s criminal justice priorities.

Conclusion

This, then, is the egregious and lasting legacy of the Prison Industrial Complex.
While private prisons companies comprise only a small part of the overall corrections system in the United States, they have managed to hinder much-needed criminal justice reform – particularly in the areas of sentencing and prison release policies – by supplying supplemental bed space for overcrowded public prisons.

Prisoners held in for-profit facilities are exposed to higher levels of violence due to the private prison industry’s business model of reducing staffing costs, which results in higher staff turnover rates, understaffing and instability. Prisoners released from privately-run facilities have higher recidivism rates, thus endangering public safety.

But the most harmful consequence of the private prison industry is that it has made imprisonment-for-profit politically and socially acceptable, thereby perpetuating an insidious business model that benefits from incarceration while instilling the notion that justice literally is for sale and crime does in fact pay – for private prison firms and their shareholders.

Hopefully, at some point in the future we will look back on this time when private prisons were considered sensible and wonder how such a socially-destructive concept was allowed to exist, much as we now look back on the institution of slavery. For now, though, we must deal with the harsh realities of for-profit prisons and their role in the Prison Industrial Complex, including their many flaws and harmful effects on prisoners, our justice system and society as a whole.

A footnoted version of this article is being included as a chapter in a soon-to-be-published book, “And the Criminals with Him: Essays in Honor of Will D. Campbell and All the Reconciled,” edited by Richard C. Goode (Cascade Books, forth-coming).
Link
This month the United States celebrates the Selma-to-Montgomery marches of 1965 to commemorate our shared history of the civil rights movement and our nation’s continued progress towards racial equality. Yet decades later a broken criminal-justice system has proven that we still have a long way to go in achieving racial equality.

Today people of color continue to be disproportionately incarcerated, policed, and sentenced to death at significantly higher rates than their white counterparts. Further, racial disparities in the criminal-justice system threaten communities of color—disenfranchising thousands by limiting voting rights and denying equal access to employment, housing, public benefits, and education to millions more. In light of these disparities, it is imperative that criminal-justice reform evolves as the civil rights issue of the 21st century.

Below we outline the top 10 facts pertaining to the criminal-justice system’s impact on communities of color.

1. While people of color make up about 30 percent of the United States’ population, they account for 60 percent of those imprisoned. The prison population grew by 700 percent from 1970 to 2005, a rate that is outpacing crime and population rates. The incarceration rates disproportionately impact men of color: 1 in every 15 African American men and 1 in every 36 Hispanic men are incarcerated in comparison to 1 in every 106 white men.

2. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, one in three black men can expect to go to prison in their lifetime. Individuals of color have a disproportionate number of encounters with law enforcement, indicating that racial profiling continues to be a problem. A report by the Department of Justice found that blacks and Hispanics were approximately three times more likely to be searched during a traffic stop than white motorists. African Americans were twice as likely to be arrested and almost four times as likely to experience the use of force during encounters with the police.

3. Students of color face harsher punishments in school than their white peers, leading to a higher number of youth of color incarcerated. Black and Hispanic students represent more than 70 percent of those involved in school-related arrests or referrals to law enforcement. Currently, African Americans make up two-fifths and Hispanics one-fifth of confined youth today.

4. According to recent data by the Department of Education, African American students are arrested far more often than their white classmates. The data showed that 96,000 students were arrested and 242,000 referred to law enforcement by schools during the 2009-10 school year. Of those students, black and Hispanic students made up more than 70 percent of arrested or referred students. Harsh school punishments, from suspensions to arrests, have led to high numbers of youth of color coming into contact with the juvenile-justice system and at an earlier age.

5. African American youth have higher rates of juvenile incarceration and are more likely to be sentenced to adult prison. According to the Sentencing Project, even though African American juvenile youth are about 16 percent of the youth population, 37 percent of their cases are moved to criminal court and 58 percent of African American youth are sent to adult prisons.

6. As the number of women incarcerated has increased by 800 percent over the last three decades, women of color have been disproportionately represented. While the number of women incarcerated is relatively low, the racial and ethnic disparities are startling. African American women are three times more likely than white women to be incarcerated, while Hispanic women are 69 percent more likely than white women to be incarcerated.

7. The war on drugs has been waged primarily in communities of color where people of color are more likely to receive higher offenses. According to the Human Rights Watch, people of color are no more likely to use or sell illegal drugs than whites, but they have higher rate of arrests. African Americans comprise 14 percent of regular drug users but are 37 percent of those arrested for drug offenses. From 1980 to 2007 about one in three of the 25.4 million adults arrested for drugs was African American.

8. Once convicted, black offenders receive longer sentences compared to white offenders. The U.S. Sentencing Commission stated that in the federal system black offenders receive sentences that are 10 percent longer than white offenders for the same crimes. The Sentencing Project reports that African Americans are 21 percent more likely to receive mandatory-minimum sentences than white defendants and are 20 percent more like to be sentenced to prison.

9. Voter laws that prohibit people with felony convictions to vote disproportionately impact men of color. An estimated 5.3 million Americans are denied the right to vote based on a past felony conviction. Felony disenfranchisement is exaggerated by racial disparities in the criminal-justice system, ultimately denying 13 percent of African American men the right to vote. Felony-disenfranchisement policies have led to 11 states denying the right to vote to more than 10 percent of their African American population.

10. Studies have shown that people of color face disparities in wage trajectory following release from prison. Evidence shows that spending time in prison affects wage trajectories with a disproportionate impact on black men and women. The results show no evidence of racial divergence in wages prior to incarceration; however, following release from prison, wages grow at a 21 percent slower rate for black former inmates compared to white ex-convicts. A number of states have bans on people with certain convictions working in domestic health-service industries such as nursing, child care, and home health care—areas in which many poor women and women of color are disproportionately concentrated.

Theses racial disparities have deprived people of color of their most basic civil rights, making criminal-justice reform the civil rights issue of our time. Through mass imprisonment and the overrepresentation of individuals of color within the criminal justice and prison system, people of color have experienced an adverse impact on themselves and on their communities from barriers to reintegrating into society to engaging in the democratic process. Eliminating the racial disparities inherent to our nation’s criminal-justice policies and practices must be at the heart of a renewed, refocused, and reenergized movement for racial justice in America.

There have been a number of initiatives on the state and federal level to address the racial disparities in youth incarceration. Last summer Secretary of Education Arne Duncan announced the Schools Discipline Initiative to bring increased awareness of effective policies and practices to ultimately dismantle the school-to-prison pipeline. States like California and Massachusetts are considering legislation to address the disproportionate suspensions among students of color. And in Clayton County, Georgia, collaborative local reforms have resulted in a 47 percent reduction in juvenile-court referrals and a 51 percent decrease in juvenile felony rates. These initiatives could serve as models of success for lessening the disparities in incarceration rates.

Sophia Kerby is the Special Assistant for Progress 2050 at American Progress.
Link

ImageThis was the scene last summer along the U.S. Gulf Coast as inmates "hired" by BP were used to clean up the Event Horizon oil spill. The inmates were assigned to the job by Prison Work Release personnel for the state Departments of Correction and were paid between 0 and .40 cents an hour for their labor. If they refused the work, they were taken back to prison - not the work release centers where they were housed.

Some of the work release centers were privately owned facilities operated by former prison wardens that have cashed in on the wealth of money available for housing state offenders.
Link

----
Georgia school under fire for racist, violent math homework

A District Spokeswoman for Gwinnett County public schools, which oversees a 24% black or African American demographic at Beaver Ridge, admitted it was a mistake.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Is America great or WHAT? In Ulan Bator those problems would be considered unfair violations of the Student Bill of Rights because they are too difficult.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

In USA it is illegal to tap phones without warrant but officials can stop a family on the road side, strip them, gang rape them publically, repeatedly, record it and distribute it within ambit of law. THAT'S FREEDOM.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

UlanBatori wrote:
Is America great or WHAT? In Ulan Bator those problems would be considered unfair violations of the Student Bill of Rights because they are too difficult.
America was always great! They came up with the syllabus to educate the children that went on to become Taliban and defeat the Soviets.
USA prints textbooks to support Jihad in Afghanistan and Pakistan

The USA openly printed millions of textbooks to support the Jihad in Afghanistan and Pakistan
against the Soviets and Afghan Communists

<>

The books written with the purpose of ideological propaganda….We come across the following examples in math book:

- If out of 10 atheists, 5 are killed by 1 Muslim, 5 would be left.
- 5 guns + 5 guns = 10 guns
- 15 bullets – 10 bullets = 5 bullets, etc.
the ABC’s of Jihad
Violent Soviet-Era Textbooks Complicate Afghan Education Efforts
By Joe Stephens and David B. Ottaway
Washington Post Staff Writers

In the twilight of the Cold War, the United States spent millions of dollars to supply Afghan schoolchildren with textbooks filled with violent images and militant Islamic teachings, part of covert attempts to spur resistance to the Soviet occupation.

The primers, which were filled with talk of jihad and featured drawings of guns, bullets, soldiers and mines, have served since then as the Afghan school system’s core curriculum. Even the Taliban used the American-produced books, though the radical movement scratched out human faces in keeping with its strict fundamentalist code.

As Afghan schools reopen today, the United States is back in the business of providing schoolbooks. But now it is wrestling with the unintended consequences of its successful strategy of stirring Islamic fervor to fight communism. What seemed like a good idea in the context of the Cold War is being criticized by humanitarian workers as a crude tool that steeped a generation in violence.

Last month, a U.S. foreign aid official said, workers launched a “scrubbing” operation in neighboring Pakistan to purge from the books all references to rifles and killing. Many of the 4 million texts being trucked into Afghanistan, and millions more on the way, still feature Koranic verses and teach Muslim tenets.

The White House defends the religious content, saying that Islamic principles permeate Afghan culture and that the books “are fully in compliance with U.S. law and policy.” Legal experts, however, question whether the books violate a constitutional ban on using tax dollars to promote religion.

Organizations accepting funding from the U.S. Agency for International Development must certify that tax dollars will not be used to advance religion. The certification states that AID “will finance only programs that have a secular purpose. . . . AID-financed activities cannot result in religious indoctrination of the ultimate beneficiaries.”

The issue of textbook content reflects growing concern among U.S. policymakers about school teachings in some Muslim countries in which Islamic militancy and anti-Americanism are on the rise. A number of government agencies are discussing what can be done to counter these trends.

President Bush and first lady Laura Bush have repeatedly spotlighted the Afghan textbooks in recent weeks. Last Saturday, Bush announced during his weekly radio address that the 10 million U.S.-supplied books being trucked to Afghan schools would teach “respect for human dignity, instead of indoctrinating students with fanaticism and bigotry.”
Link
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cure for Cachexia found in US state of Mississippi
Cachexia or extreme weight loss is common in third world countries where there is protein calorie malnutrition and poor hygeine. The lack of hygiene leads to diarrheal disease leading to further weight loss. However the US state of Mississippi leads the way in eliminating this scourge from the face of the earth.

Not only have the people of this state eliminated cachexia, a full one third of the people have built up insurance against cachexia by being overweight. These people can technically starve for 6 months and still be overweight - such is the magic of US technology. While sceptics may ask why anyone would be required to starve for 6 months, they would do well to remember that the US has diplomats posted in the far corners of the earth. In places like India, hamburgers are unavailable and starvation is the norm. The breakthrough from Mississippi could well help countries such as India in eliminating cachexia and thin people.