Malaysian Airlines Flight MH-370 goes missing

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Malaysian Airlines Flight MH-370 goes missing

Post by shiv »

sooraj wrote:Seriously? CNN asks if Lost-like phenomena is to blame for missing plane
http://www.blastr.com/2014-3-20/serious ... sing-plane
:lol: I get it.

The media are competing with what's trending on the internet. They have to - or they will get left faaaaaaaaaaaar behind.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

An interesting tidbit was an Air India flight was misguided by Karachi ATC on a collision course with Cebu airlines plane and then requested a two way comm. for the pilot with Mumbai ATC even while the plane was flying in Karachi FIR, probably in that sector, Indian radar coverage exceeds Mumbai FIR which helped detect this anomaly

Could the source of mutations in infiltrating commercial aviation systems be the same?
Last edited by vasu raya on 21 Mar 2014 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
member_28502
BRFite

Post by member_28502 »

TSJones wrote:
Rajiv Lather wrote: Automobile, what automobile ? Am a below-the-poverty-line, doing-it-out-in-the-open, Indian.

You are 1000 times more likely to be killed by your own cops or in a genocidal war.
Being on the A-Team I don't worry about that.
Wow we we have a White Mr. T prowling
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Rajiv Lather wrote:
Harpal Bector wrote:And we have the case of the dog that can't seem to bark, the super duper power of China which is completely powerless even though an aircraft filled with Chinese citizens has disappeared in an area that Chinese consider strategically important.
If after this someone says the Chinese Navy and Air Force are a threat to us, am personally going to stomp on them. Let us prepare ourselves to tackle Somali pirates; much more worthy opponents.
Full Aircraft of Chinese disappeared and PRC govt and PLA military is helpless
These same PRC people were laughing at India when the Mumbai was attacked by Pak terrorists.

What about PLA Army. Another paper tiger? We need to show to the world what PRC is really
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

LalMohan Saar.
Sorry to say that you are thinking like a turdworlder trying to please the massa, and giving justifications on their behalf. :D

"Not normally necessary" Don't give ideas saar. Even rafts and flotation devices are not "normally" necessary and they may take that out as well to make economic sense.

"It continued to work". Only thing is, it was pretty useless in this case. I am sure that Boeing's claim would have infected quite a few buyers with Brochure-itis, when it is actually meaningless. It works only when it is close to land, and is useless to troubleshoot serious issues that may happen like MH-370.

"Non payment of fees" . Wouldn't it be wonderful? "Oops! the Malaysian Airlines, who pays my salary, didn't actually pay the fees for ACARS. Let me go down and disable it. That should teach them a lesson. I need to put in an enhancement request asking for a simple button to do this ".

"deviating due to thunderstorms" :rotfl: Exactly. "Let me avoid the thunderstorm, deviate 180 deg from the flight path, and land on the ocean safely. No way the thunderstorm can get me now!"

Saar. The egg has already landed on the face. The only way to not feel humiliated is to pretend as if it is not such a big deal and is somehow unrelated.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

"Thunderstorm" is exactly what they said when the USS Nimitz disappeared for 36 hours, enough to get back to December 1941 and shoot down the entire attacking force of Japanese bombers, b4 returning to a sunny Pacific Ocean. JFYI... :shock:
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

you are so right rgsrini, i never realised it till now
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Dang! No war in ookraine, no terrist attempt, no dramatic hostage rescue, no pest-e-sha'eed of Somali pirates, no counter-suit by Arshack. All dhagas at loose end, no tenshun. I think I'll go bother someone else.
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

Lalmohan,
I know saar, that you are a realized soul. But as an unevolved SDRE, I just want to continue to say it though...
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i'll happily chew the yak cud with you bro' - how many horses do you have? are you a good wrestler? do your mares make good koumiss?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

SeeEnnEnn:
The area being searched is enormous and remote. Aircraft can stay over the scene just two hours before having to return to base. And given that the objects spotted on satellite could have drifted hundreds of miles since they were photographed Sunday
1. Why don't they rent a Malaysia Air 777 I wonder: If they fly direct it can stay over the area for a couple of days... or weeks..
2. How can something drift "hundreds of miles" in the ocean in 48 hours, where there is no toofan or strong current?
The objects were spotted in a part of the Indian Ocean known for swirling currents called gyres that can trap all sorts of floating debris.
Actually this is all sheer, undiluted pakistan. So satellites saw these things on Sunday. It wasn't until thursday that someone actually looked at it. OK, I'll buy that. But then what stops them from putting 1 or several satellites on the job, and dedicating a team to just look at this general area? The search planes, UAVs etc are best used to check out things that show up on the satellite images, hain? Now we are down to maybe a 100 mile radius of where the sighting was made Sunday, and by now spy sats with the 0.5micron resolution should have taken pictures of every beer can floating in that area. Life jackets, seat cusions etc should have shown up long since.
Bibhas
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bibhas »

Vasu sir,

If anything tries to squeeze between Nicobar & Indonesia then it will be have clear footprint on Naval Airstation INS Baaz at Cambell Bay. Besides, FIRs are administrative areas and if I understand correctly are not exactly the range of any radar of electronic survilliance. Many places military stations have survilliance range beyond the civilian FIR they are within, especially if they are located towards the edge. For example actual range of Indian radar may well exceed beyond the Chennai FIR range near A&N. Similarly the actual survilliance range of IAF & IN @ Diglipur (Shibpur) / Mayabunder will overlap part of CFIR, KFIR and Yangoon FIR. This is assuming we have no hidden surprise at Narkondam Island (or Barren Island for that mater) :lol: and all patroling IN ships have their equipments switched off too. On the same principle, the actual direct survilliance range of Australia will be far less than the Melbourne administrative FIR (due to massive size). I am inclined to guess it is the same case with Yangoon FIR as well (due to lack of sophistication). The only possibility would be any hidden Chineese surprise at the Great Coco Island.
Jayram
BRFite

Post by Jayram »

Beast Article

A good article summarizing what is known so far on this flight with key indicators on why criminal behavour is not being ruled out
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

The greatest Possumland is still being spared from Search by successfully playing dead in this case.. No body does better than Paki when it comes to terrorism. It will be insult to Paki H&D and religious genius if some one else has pulled this con and done this terrorist job on the world. Ummah and Fourfathers will loose trust in Paki capability to decide the Destiny of South Asia.
Rajiv Lather
BRFite

Re: Malaysian Arilines Flight MH-370 goes missing

Post by Rajiv Lather »

Old but fresh news, March 11 - wonder how can the accounts on a networking site be active ?

The Washington Post said that the families of some of the 239 people onboard the missing Boeing 777 claimed to have heard the mobile ringtones.

"In some cases, the relatives could see them active online through a local Chinese networking site called QQ," the Post reported.

The eerie development comes even as Malaysian authorities described MH370's disappearance an unprecedented mystery. One man told the Washington Post that his brother-in-law's QQ account indicated that he was online. Frustratingly for those desperate for some news or sign, messages have gone unanswered and calls were not picked up.

Britain's Daily Mail reported that the phantom phone calls and online presence had set off a new level of hysteria among relatives and next-of-kin, most of whom have spent three days cooped up at a Beijing Hotel waiting for news on the missing plane. MAS officials in Beijing have been told repeatedly about the QQ accounts and ringing telephone calls, and relatives are hoping that SAR forces will be able to triangulate the GPS signals of the phones to locate their loved ones.

However, at a press conference in Beijing, MAS spokesman Ignatius Ong said one of the numbers provided to the airline's head office in Kuala Lumpur had failed to get through.
member_28352
BRFite

Post by member_28352 »

Somebody pointed out the Burma angle here. Are the Burmese militias and their Chinese friends that stupid. If these guys are holding hostages it will be used as a pretext by the worlds only policeman (Israeli politician's words, not mine) to mount a mini invasion of Burma and establish a base overlooking China's Yunnan's province. In any case the Burmese drug lords (Khun sa et. al., Is the guy even alive?) are a cat's paw for nefarious exclusively British interests in the region. These guys should realize that they can be used like US/UK used Saddam, first inciting him to invade Kuwait and then invading Iraq ultimately.
Rajiv Lather
BRFite

Post by Rajiv Lather »

At least one Burmese gang had a CIA connection - one so called deserter being a top member.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

chaanakya wrote:Why spend billions on raptors when plane can become invisible by switching off transponder and ensuring that it is not transmitting anything. What happened to number plate reading yooEss satellite? Why they are not using it ?
Wars and battles unfold in slow motion as diplomacy fails (as it is happening in Crimea) bit by bit. Starts with skirmishes which escalate to battles, troop movements, and declaration of war which is as much about openly stated ideologies as about territory and resources. But terrorist attacks are asymmetric and purely ideological. The only way impending attacks can be detected are through humint, elint, and increasingly a mixture of the two (social networks, chat rooms etc.).

Raptors are important so are cyber and normal snooping, white hat hacking, and plain and simple chaanakyan (no pun intended) methods.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

ShankarCag wrote:New Manali in Antartica. Now question arises, buying time for what?
:idea: Did the hijacker enter Manali and the flight computer computed a path to New Manali (or the hijacker could be someone who is as illiterate in geography as foggy wallahs) and entered heck let us go to New Manali, new must be a bigger and better Manali like New Delhi with Chankayapuri where as dhilli has Chandni Chowk.
i
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

habal wrote:So what is the difference between China & false God.
Differrence is narrowing - God becoming more totalitarian and big-brotherish and the god forsaken communists becoming more capitarist. Soon there will be a "happy" medium where as some sanAtanIs will not conform to the uniform mono culture.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Search for Malaysian jet: Pentagon spends $2.5 million; India deploys Super Hercules aircraft
WASHINGTON: The Pentagon says it has spent $2.5 million to help in the search for the missing Malaysian Airlines jet.

The defense department has been flying high-tech surveillance planes to assist in the effort. The spending also includes operating costs for ships that have assisted in the search, which has stretched across the South China Sea and into the Indian Ocean
A Pentagon spokesman says $4 million has been budgeted, and that amount could last into early April depending on the number of flying hours and whether other equipment is needed.
Poor chaps.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Lalmohan wrote:middle of the night, christmas island... probability of anyone looking on the screen and worrying about a high flying blip... pretty low
One heck of a late Christmas
Bibhas
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bibhas »

ShankarCag Ji, It may not be a hijack at all. But if it is, I was trying to think like a hjacker, a bad one at that. Myanmar to me would be an intermediate stop over rather than a final destination (with my fuel capacity). From my little internet based knowledge, Burmese Military junta also has equal number of friends (if not more) in Burmese underworld. Even the toughest hijacker and a world super power, all of them needs mediators, facilitators and most importantly a guranter to succed with their plan. If I was not hijacking an Indian plane (or Amritsar was out of my reach), I would definitely blackmail my opponent to refuel me. On the other hand I have to also give some sort of gurantee / evidence to my opponent that the hostages are safe till the negotiation / refuelling ends. Who else can do this two-way job for me? Whom in that region I can trust as well as the Chineese can too (to some extent). Diametrically opposite to this if china has to go ahead and shoot down a plane (lets say the negotiation gone ashtray or China considers it politically acceptacble to kill its 150 citizens), what better country it could be other than China itself (and probably NoKo) in that area? Hijackers can go wrong about guaging Chinese govt's respect for their own citizen, can't they? The range of fuel and the famous red arc of ping both crosses Northern Myanmar. Skyvector says, if I ran 350 ~ 400 Kts, I would do it in 6hrs 45 mins. So if I made few low flys or abrupt turns, I will still make it in 8 hrs with my fuel. Regarding who can do this hijack: Start from the least suspected and least likely ones. And that is definitely not the pilot or copilot. Finally all hijacks need not be due to internationtional interests.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

saravana wrote: First comment in the link
What a misleading heading... Malaysian PM did not call his counterpart to seek Pakistan's intelligence expertise to locate the plane where ever in the world it may be.... instead, he called to request PM Nawaz Sharif to confirm 100% that the plane is not in Pakistan!!!!!
As usual if sharif gives 400% guarantee then Sheriff would know where to look for the plane.
Rajiv Lather
BRFite

Post by Rajiv Lather »

Question: Did the Vietnamese claim how much they had spent on this search ? A much smaller, and poorer country. Am sure they had put in more resources than any other country and yet tried to help with a big heart.

And even before the passengers have been found, the Americans are preparing the bill. The crudeness and ugliness shown by United States is quite surprising sometimes.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

UlanBatori wrote:pictures of every beer can floating in that area.
Beer cans? Off the coast of Oz? Now that would be an object of interest :lol:
Rajiv Lather
BRFite

Post by Rajiv Lather »

A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

matrimc wrote: As usual if sharif gives 400% guarantee then Sheriff would know where to look for the plane.
Nawaz Sharif wants to know the MH370 hijacking/diversion technology so that he can permanently disable any future Musharraf. No more landing permissions drama if there is no plane to land.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

chaanakya wrote:Search for Malaysian jet: Pentagon spends $2.5 million; India deploys Super Hercules aircraft
WASHINGTON: The Pentagon says it has spent $2.5 million to help in the search for the missing Malaysian Airlines jet.

The defense department has been flying high-tech surveillance planes to assist in the effort. The spending also includes operating costs for ships that have assisted in the search, which has stretched across the South China Sea and into the Indian Ocean
A Pentagon spokesman says $4 million has been budgeted, and that amount could last into early April depending on the number of flying hours and whether other equipment is needed.
Poor chaps.
Not only that they wore out the canooter valve on the P-8 causing a lay day for maintenance in Perth.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

A_Gupta wrote:Nawaz Sharif wants to know the MH370 hijacking/diversion technology so that he can permanently disable any future Musharraf. No more landing permissions drama if there is no plane to land.
Musharraf kiya (made) a musharraf out of him. Abhi to "kiyah nahin kya karega" (Now what can the "not done anything" Kayani do)? But it is always to be better on the safer side especially in Pakistan where the odds or better than 1 in two that if one is an "elected" leader one might hang from the lamp bost or "sunroof lever"ed. OT should go into Paki thread but I wonder whether there are any cases of the tables being turned, i.e. "elected" leaders getting back at brown pants.
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

Jarita
BRF Oldie

Re: Malaysian Arilines Flight MH-370 goes missing

Post by Jarita »

Rajiv Lather wrote:
Old but fresh news, March 11 - wonder how can the accounts on a networking site be active ?

The Washington Post said that the families of some of the 239 people onboard the missing Boeing 777 claimed to have heard the mobile ringtones.

"In some cases, the relatives could see them active online through a local Chinese networking site called QQ," the Post reported.

The eerie development comes even as Malaysian authorities described MH370's disappearance an unprecedented mystery. One man told the Washington Post that his brother-in-law's QQ account indicated that he was online. Frustratingly for those desperate for some news or sign, messages have gone unanswered and calls were not picked up.

Britain's Daily Mail reported that the phantom phone calls and online presence had set off a new level of hysteria among relatives and next-of-kin, most of whom have spent three days cooped up at a Beijing Hotel waiting for news on the missing plane. MAS officials in Beijing have been told repeatedly about the QQ accounts and ringing telephone calls, and relatives are hoping that SAR forces will be able to triangulate the GPS signals of the phones to locate their loved ones.

However, at a press conference in Beijing, MAS spokesman Ignatius Ong said one of the numbers provided to the airline's head office in Kuala Lumpur had failed to get through.

This is real agony - are they dead, alive and in pain, where are they. The relatives need closure
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Unrelated most probably, but still.... Are we still looking in this area?

Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes off India's Nicobar Islands: USGS - Reuters
(Reuters) - A 6.7-magnitude earthquake struck off India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands on Friday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake was at a depth of 6.2 miles about 68 miles southeast of Misha, Nicobar Islands, in the Indian Ocean, the agency said.

An official at the provincial disaster management control room said there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage but the earthquake had been felt by islanders.

The official said there was no tsunami alert.

Andaman and Nicobar is made up of more than 500 mostly uninhabited islands. A Reuters witness at Port Blair, the capital, said the earthquake was not felt there.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

UBCNews BREAKING TOOFAN: (From CNN):
An Australian military plane, as well as two long-range commercial jets, depart to search the site of suspected debris from Flight 370.

So they read BRF and rented a couple of 777s from Malaysian Airlines.

The REAL News is that another day has passed, without satellite imagery spotting anything.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

One of the things I have learned after this episode is that airliners are not typically tracked by primary radar because radar returns may be small, but they are tracked by IFF interrogation type "secondary radar" that picks up signals sent by a transponder in response to radar interrogation.

Since airliner safety is paramount and much is done to ensure security, how stupid is it to have transponders that can simply be switched off so that the plane can't be tracked? The other thing is about cockpit voice and data recorders. heck with storage becoming so easily available and cheap why not have a digital storage that records 8 hours of a flight and not just 2 hours?

How difficult would it be to simply fit a tracking transponder that simply cannot be switched off? OK there may be some aircraft that do not want this sort of thing to be fitted - private aircraft and planes for state leaders. But that would be their risk. Public flights should have mandatory tracking. If it is possible to ping a chip anywhere on earth then such a device must be placed in every single commercial airliner'

The other point I wanted to make was the two or three references in this thread to the possibility that hijackers could have parachuted out. I suspect that it is not possible or not easily possible to parachute out of a commercial airliner. They are simply not designed to allow that to happen - certainly not at cruising speed and high altitude. Even at low altitude and lower speed I am not sure how convenient it would be to open a rear door and jump out.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

UlanBatori wrote:
The REAL News is that another day has passed, without satellite imagery spotting anything.

There is definitely a degree of "aura building" that goes on to inspire awe and admiration among yak riders of Mongolia and other turdworlders about the capabilities of God. Information like "capability to read a numberplate from space" are selectively highlighted to inspire ooohs and aaahs that spread like ripples through public info spaces.

What is not revealed is how difficult it is to extract one numberplate out of a photo that ha 200 trillion other number plates visible which need to be checked out. "We can do that also" is what is said - but that is obviously not true. See how difficult it was to identify bin Laden from space. For a country that is busy reading every numberplate from space and busy listening to every conversation including phone calls that I get telling me "Doc - I fart too much and they stink. Can you prescribe something?" the one thing that is not advertised in all this aura building is that there is no magic. Magic is achieved by aura and reputation building so everyone shits in his pants when opposed to some forces or else swells with pride and admiration when some specific words and TFTA looks can be associated with one's own side.

What a world we live in. Pakiness is admired. Truth and logc can't hold a candle to Pakiness.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

^^^Truthiness, it is called, I think.

Seems to me though that we can't do image processing and feature recognition fast enough and well enough; even if computers can drive cars, we have a long way to go.

WaPo:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html
The disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has exposed the technological limits of satellites, which can see a license plate from space — if not necessarily read it — but struggle to find a missing jetliner.

These limits are shaped by physics, money and practicality. Military and commercial satellites are not closely observing and amassing data about the blank places on the map in lightly traveled seas — such as remote areas of the Indian Ocean thousands of miles from where Flight MH370 vanished from radar.

There’s also a trade-off when scrutinizing the surface from space: You can go wide or you can go deep, but you can’t do both. The most sophisticated spy satellites are essentially looking down straws, trying to resolve small details in a narrow field of view.

“Imagine driving down the street at 70 miles an hour with a pair of binoculars and trying to look at every single mailbox,” said Brian Weeden, technical adviser to the Secure World Foundation, a nonprofit organization devoted to space policy. “You can’t slew your binoculars around fast enough.”
Last edited by A_Gupta on 22 Mar 2014 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

shiv wrote:
UlanBatori wrote:

There is definitely a degree of "aura building" that goes on to inspire awe and admiration among yak riders of Mongolia and other turdworlders about the capabilities of God. Information like "capability to read a numberplate from space" are selectively highlighted to inspire ooohs and aaahs that spread like ripples through public info spaces.

What is not revealed is how difficult it is to extract one numberplate out of a photo that ha 200 trillion other number plates visible which need to be checked out. "We can do that also" is what is said - but that is obviously not true. See how difficult it was to identify bin Laden from space. For a country that is busy reading every numberplate from space and busy listening to every conversation including phone calls that I get telling me "Doc - I fart too much and they stink. Can you prescribe something?" the one thing that is not advertised in all this aura building is that there is no magic. Magic is achieved by aura and reputation building so everyone shits in his pants when opposed to some forces or else swells with pride and admiration when some specific words and TFTA looks can be associated with one's own side.

What a world we live in. Pakiness is admired. Truth and logc can't hold a candle to Pakiness.
you are so right. any allusion to technology super duper knows all sees all is pure nonsense......pay no attention to it. It's all arrogant, racist pandering.

oh, btw, NASA is now joining the search. :)

meanwhile US Air Force Space Command Global Christian Domination ain't said s**t since this whole thing began.
Last edited by TSJones on 22 Mar 2014 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

UNC News:

BREAKING NEWS: ..... NASA is joining the search. The Search Area has just been expanded to include the Moon and Mars! Awaiting announcement from Malaysian PM...

Amazing that it took them only 13 days to decide to get moving... Now if they can bring the cameras on the Mars Curiosity Rover and the Voyager spacecraft around quickly enough, they should be able to pick up the Black Box signal.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Can they track movements in the bellies of bottom feeding ocean fishes.